Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Ugh.

We got it to actually run, (at 11:30 at night) but its sluggish and unresponsive. Still think there's an air leak but it was too late to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
The Peugeot started first pedal tonight. I'm excited.

It's now got some dellorto phbg19 clone on it, and a 19mm intake, and a polini reed, to go with the polini pipe.

bigbluetotoro
Nov 11, 2004
a'ight you get in the fridge
Why hello. Didn't know this thread was here. I got into mopeds last summer and its been an unhealthy obsession since. I've got 5. and I've convinced about 6 friends to join the fun. I'll have to start checking here. here is the garage as of recent.

my daily is a 00 Tomos Targa Lx took me a few months to make it reliable. but is a great bike. it cleaned up well.

then my Safari 300Mt picked it up for $60 (super luck) and have been giving it a cafe racer/rat ride look since. all the mods are pretty much household materials. ghetto mods etc. it's unhealthy how fun this thing is to ride. (when it runs).

then a 07 Targa I picked up to flip. its getting sold soon.

then my project which I may get rid of. 79 columbia open road. very interesting water cooled engine. I just cant figure out the electrics of it.

then my dream bike. I know its not a technical "moped" but it might as well be. it goes about as fast as my Targa. its a 69 Honda 50 (cub)its great fun but the centrifugal clutch is broken. so I've only gotten to ride it when I push-start in 1st gear.

and that piece of crap in the background is my friends AMF roadmaster. widely known as the worst moped ever built. yay domestic. its a POS.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Just A Little Bit Closer...
I can finally call myself a man. I just purchased an 81 honda c70 passport with 1600 miles on it tonight. With a minimum of cleaning and wax it will look cherry. Sadly it isn't running yet. Here is my plan of attack to get it started, please tell me what else I should do.

1.Drain gas and replace(has been sitting for 5 to 6 months, ridden twice in 14 years before that)

2.Charge battery

3.clean/replace filters

4.Clean Carb if the above three fail to start it.

The seller tried valiently to get it started and it seemed like it almost wanted to go but wouldn't. It has great spark and the kick start has what I would consider an appropriate amount of resistance based on absolutely no experience with kick starts or Honda Cubs. The seller had it running 5 or 6 months ago but kept it in the garage as a temporary way to keep rags off the floor.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Last weekend we (me and my best friend who lives with me) got our 82 Honda Urban Express running. We got it for $100 and put a new battery and brakes on it, plus some miscellaneous wiring bits. To get it running, we had to get all the rust out of the tank, clean the fuel lines, and CLEAN the carb. We got about 3 spoonfuls of poo poo that was caked in the bowl, not to mention how dirty all the fuel and air passages were. The tires are old but they're still holding air, so we can gently caress around on it for a while. It's not registered or anything so we just ride it in the parking lot behind my house and at my in-laws' where it can go off-road. Amazingly, it handles really well on dirt/gravel lanes and muddy fields. We've gotten it up to 30mph on the lane. Plans are to get a title and register it, plus put some new front turn signals on it and figure out why the by-starter isn't functioning properly. It starts in the cold, but won't run right away unless you give it good throttle till the motor heats up a bit.

Bonus video of it running, just a few minutes after starting it for the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFdHYlILYu8

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 13, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

OlDirtyBehrmann posted:

1.Drain gas and replace(has been sitting for 5 to 6 months, ridden twice in 14 years before that)

2.Charge battery

3.clean/replace filters

4.Clean Carb.

5.Try to start bike

Fixed. Don't even bother trying to start it without cleaning the carb. You'll just be wasting your time.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Well, I spent all day today fixing her up. I cleaned the carb which was way simpler than I ever dreamed of. The carb on my goped is more complicated to reassemble. Got the battery charged at autozone for free. Drained the tank and cleaned out all the rust with toilet bowl cleaner. Put it back together and after more than a few kicks got it running. It has electric start, but it wouldn't do anything until after I had it running, now it works perfectly.

Not really a moped, but whatever.

Tomorrows agenda includes a bath and an oilchange.

There is also a small exhaust leak that was patched up with something that just flaked right off. Would JB weld work for this or is there something better that I should be using?

OlDirtyBehrmann fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 15, 2009

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

77 maxi, usual polini setup. still gotta swap the rear wheel to another five star. running awesome right now

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a fellow owner of a 77 maxi, can you tell me what the "usual Polini setup" is? What other mods do you have done to it?

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

polini 64cc kit + 50cc hi hi head
polini PHBG 19mm - 21mm four petal reed block intake
Dellorto PHBG DS 21mm carburetor
proma GP performance pipe

case match and other stuff soon. maybe?!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Got a job in Alexandria (just outside of DC), and my employer offered a really good amount of reimbursement for moving expenses. Since about every drat thing I own fits in my car (and I'll mail the books/CDs Media Mail to get them out of the way), I actually thought for a minute: "hey, I can use that to have my moped crated and shipped to Virginia from Texas."

I still think I'll probably just sell my Honda PA50 here and get a Tomos in Virginia though.

Is there any reputable article or posting explaining the bare-minimum "do this to make it faster" options for a Tomos Sprint (and whatever the next +turn signal + injection model is)?

My impression is that you can just change the exhaust and one or two other things and get it up to 40+, but then anything after that will take actual skill. C/d?

bigbluetotoro
Nov 11, 2004
a'ight you get in the fridge
anyone here going to the whiskey city 2 moped rally in Ky next month? I'm debating it.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

1-"hey, I can use that to have my moped crated and shipped to Virginia from Texas."

I still think I'll probably just sell my Honda PA50 here and get a Tomos in Virginia though.

2-Is there any reputable article or posting explaining the bare-minimum "do this to make it faster" options for a Tomos Sprint (and whatever the next +turn signal + injection model is)?

My impression is that you can just change the exhaust and one or two other things and get it up to 40+, but then anything after that will take actual skill. C/d?

1-For the love of god, just sell the hobbit. Its not worth taking. Get a Tomos.

2-READ THIS FOR PERFORMANCE INFORMATION: http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Category:Performance_Tuning.

Its all relatively easy to do, you just need to suck it up and actually do it and learn on the fly and read information posted online (MA, here, etc).

Exhaust will help immediately and is VERY easy. A kit isn't bad (although I had problems with an air leak on my most recent attempt), and then you can get a pro carb, intake, sprocket, etc etc etc.

Bean_ fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 19, 2009

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
I’m having some trouble with my moped and it seems you’re the one to ask. I cannot get rid of this air leak I’ve been having for the life of me. I’ve redone the gasket on the block 3 times, and each time it reappears. Maybe you can offer some input/advice that’ll help the situation.

I’m working on a 2001 Tomos TTLX with an A35. I bought a 70cc alukit from treats.

My procedure has been as follows:
1-Remove nuts
2-Remove head
3-Remove cylinder
4-Remove wrist pin retaining clips
5-Remove wrist pin
6-Remove piston
7-Scrape off old base gasket as well as possible
8-Place new base gasket in place (3 times-Once dry, Once coated in 2 stroke oil, once with silicone gasket goo)
9-Put on new piston, wrist pin, clips
10-0il new cylinder and place on.
11-Put on head
12-Put on nuts, then tighten in x pattern

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I'm at a lost. I don't know what it could be, other than a warped head, and it appears to be fine.

Bean_ fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 20, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I was wondering why there are so many used mopeds on CL for NoVA/DC, then I noticed several ads reading "selling because I finally got my license back."

Hadn't realised Virginia was one of those states where you can still ride a moped even after your DUI. I'm just used to TX laws where mopeds are 95% the same as motorcycles for all legal purposes.

Best as I can tell, the only legal difference in TX is that there's a special moped license where you just have to take a written exam. All registration/license/etc requirements are the same though, and the moped license bites because it won't let you ride a scooter or motorbike, so you might as well just use your moped to take the motorcycle driving test anyway, since it's just tooling around the DMV parking lot for 20min.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
EH! Wrong! As a VA resident for 10 months out of the year, No.

No registration is required. No license is required (you must carry id, though). While people use mopeds to get around after a DUI, it is still illegal.

DC might be different, though.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Oh hey, how did this get in my driveway?

Note: Photo has been molested and makes bike look slightly nicer than real life. Pretty cherry though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Looks really nice, congratulations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New pics of the Urban Express, with my Buell Lightning. The Urban Express is finally done. Carb issues, electrical, all sorted out! Total cost including the moped: under $250.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

to keep things topical...

Bean_ posted:

Got my "order" from 1977mopeds for my 01 Tomos LX.

Dipshits gave me incorrect studs and forgot to pack my throttle cable into the envelope. Apparently the $17 S/H fee on a $21 order wasn't enough to do it right.

I really am not all that impressed with 1977 mopeds. they sold me a "two reed" block for my Peugeot. Which is actually a single reed just with bigger cutouts. The stock reed is more "two reed" than that. It's something that could have been done at home to the stock reed valve and $3 of carbon from the hobby shop.

On top of them not calling me back when they said they would. And packing the gaskets so they were floating in the package, instead of with the plate itself. (this means I cut one gasket opening the envelope)

Blah.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Yeah. I really would have rather ordered from treats, as I've had nothing but good experiences from him 3 times now, but he didn't have the studs and said he wouldn't be getting them for a couple of weeks. Next time I'll just wait.

I'm furious with these guys.

tofufish
Jan 3, 2007
:D
Quick question to any Australian moped owners out there, what are some key places to keep an eye out for a good deal? I cant seem to find many mopeds for same in Queensland, or many sites listing mopeds in Australia for that matter.

Also, Im quite new to the whole moped scene, are there any specific brands/models for 50cc bikes I should be looking for? Im just trying to get an idea of whats out there and available before I get my hopes up.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Is this a good deal for this moped? Are Tomos pieces of junk?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/1103972085.html

I was looking to pick up a scooter or moped for my girlfriend and happened to see it on CL.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
For anyone who enjoys 1970s-1980s kitschy independent films:

On the Move. I believe the bikes ridden by the main characters are Honda Hobbits, but I'm terrible at spotting models.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

pr0zac posted:

Is this a good deal for this moped? Are Tomos pieces of junk?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/1103972085.html

I was looking to pick up a scooter or moped for my girlfriend and happened to see it on CL.

Its a decent deal, and I'm sure its a better deal than most in SFbay.
Tomos is legit, one of the best brands you can get. Very quick and sturdy. I own a 01 model of that ped, and its the best of the 5 mopeds I have owned. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a ped.

tofufish posted:

Also, Im quite new to the whole moped scene, are there any specific brands/models for 50cc bikes I should be looking for? Im just trying to get an idea of whats out there and available before I get my hopes up.

New: Tomos.
Used: Tomos, Puch, Honda, Motobecane, Peugot

tofufish
Jan 3, 2007
:D

Bean_ posted:

New: Tomos.
Used: Tomos, Puch, Honda, Motobecane, Peugot

If I was after one that has parts that are not scarce and can travel atleast 60km/ph (Around 40miles) whilst still being 50cc, would that reduce a the list of brands to look out for? Just trying to get a good idea for what to look out for, seeing as i dont think its going to be an easy task finding decent mopeds in Queensland.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Peugeot + pipe = 40mph.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Tomos and Puch should be able to pull you up to 40 with a pipe, too. I'm 280lbs, and I put an 65USD Technobullet pipe on my tomos and it pulled me up to 37mph. If you weigh less you should definitely be able to get 40 pretty easily.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Bean_ posted:

Tomos and Puch should be able to pull you up to 40 with a pipe, too. I'm 280lbs, and I put an 65USD Technobullet pipe on my tomos and it pulled me up to 37mph. If you weigh less you should definitely be able to get 40 pretty easily.

With the Technobullet, do you need to rejet, or turn off your injection and go back to manual mixing or anything? Or is it just a matter of bolting it on and your speed improves?

I'm about 95% set on getting a Tomos (not totally sure whether Targa or Sprint) once I move to NoVA. Just for tooling around Arlington, going down to see a band play, getting to the Metro station, etc.

I'm under the vague impression DC has much stricter laws than VA, so I might need to look into registering it as a motorcycle so I can cross into different states, and/or do upgrades without running afoul of the law.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
You should consider rejetting for optimum performance, but you could feasibly run without rejetting. I know on mine before I started having all my problems with air leaks and my kit, it was running fine without doing anything but bolting on the new exhaust. I wouldn't recommend doing it, but I can't really say anything against it, as mine did fine.

I also wouldn't really worry about the DC/VA law thing. I mean, you cannot be expected to adhere to a law from a state/area you're not from. IE-I'm from SC, I live in VA as a student. I don't have to get state inspections, I don't have to have a plate on the front of my truck. You shouldn't need to register the moped just because residents of DC have to..... just my thoughts.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Bean_ posted:

I also wouldn't really worry about the DC/VA law thing. I mean, you cannot be expected to adhere to a law from a state/area you're not from. IE-I'm from SC, I live in VA as a student. I don't have to get state inspections, I don't have to have a plate on the front of my truck. You shouldn't need to register the moped just because residents of DC have to..... just my thoughts.

Seriously though, aren't DC cops going to freak if I'm riding a moped in their city and don't have plates/insurance?

Can you really just say "so sorry, not required in my state" and they're cool with it?

Googled it up, got this:

quote:

To drive a motorized bicycle or moped in D.C. you must have a driver's license with a motorized bicycle endorsement to drive a motorcycle (DC ST § 50-1401.01). The motorized bicycle exam consists of only a written exam.

Failure to have the proper endorsement can result in a $300 fine and up to 90 days in jail. And that jail part is no joke, *I* got to spend a night in one of Saint Marion's finest beds back in the 80s for having an invalid permit.
All motor vehicles in Washington, D.C. must have a title, registration, and display plates (DC ST § 50-1501.02). The annual fee is $30 for motorcycles ("Class D") and $10 for motorized bicycles ("Class E") (DC ST § 50-1501.03 ).
All motorcycles, scooters, mopeds, and motorized bicycles are required to carry a liability insurance policy (DC ST § 31-2403).
All motorcycles, scooters, mopeds, and motorized bicycles must submit to a bi-annual inspection (DC ST § 50-1101).
Motorcycles, scooters, mopeds, and motorized bicycles may not be parked on *public* sidewalks. ($100 fine)

So basically, for an outsider going into DC with a moped, it pretty much seems you'd have to have it registered as a motorcycle, and have a motorcycle license, since VA seems to treat mopeds almost like bicycles, but only if they strictly meet the 50cc <30mph definition. There simply isn't any VA moped plate, so far as I can tell, and DC seems to require them. The article mentions that DC is really lax about enforcement, but that just means that the whim of some cop can really gently caress up your week.

Here's VA laws: http://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/1/41615/41615/

I can't really see any downside of registering a moped as a motorcyle, except for the slight expense, and that a helmet would be legally required as opposed to just a very good idea.

Not to be a pansy, but because of my line of work I'd rather not run up a bunch of traffic violations that would cause my record to look like I just don't give a gently caress. So registering as a motorcycle seems the best bet. Plus then I can destrict, throw kits on bitches, etc. without worrying that some asshat cop is going to write me up for a plateless motorcycle if I hit 31mph on it.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Anybody know of any common issues to look out for on a 1972 Puch Maxi? I'm gonna check one out this Sunday and want to be sure I don't miss something huge like I did with my Jawa (that is, the Thyristor is an evil, evil thing). We're talking pretty straightforward points/2-stroke/drums here, right? Nothing the Austrians added to the mix just to gently caress with you?

The owner says everything's been restored and it was running fine and now it just decides not to intermittently. It's probably a gunked up carb or faulty electrical thing, which I can handle. I just don't want to get blindsided by some dumb crap straight out of 1972.

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot
The current sprocket sizes on my bike are 15front/45rear. It uses 104 links of chain. If I increase the size of my rear sprocket to 47, how many more links of chain will I need to compensate?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

one. Maybe.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I am now the proud owner of a late-seventies Puch Maxi!

It was advertised as a '73, but the frame says '77, so I'm gonna go with that. It's not quite running, but it much better shape than the Jawa, from which I'm gonna cannibalize cranks for it. When the owner took me to look at it, someone had knocked it over with enough force to bend the crank on the right side, thus the need to replace it. Not sure if it's a 1-speed/2-speed, or 20/25/30mph model, but I'll know more with more research, and none of these issues can't be resolved by kit throwing action.

Paint is 10-footer; it's not rusty in the least, but it was obviously a rattlecan job, though whoever did it was nice enough to strip the frame first, so there's no overspray or anything.

This'll be way more fun than the goddamned Jawas.

Shnitzel
Jan 16, 2006
Mr. Pibb + Redvines = Crazy Delicious
Its hella hot here in SF and all my windows in the living room are open

I hear a faint buzzing off in the distance of the warm night, quickly getting louder.

Louder, louder like a swarm of drunk bees, and soon i realize what it is

before I can leap to the windows to shut them, a 30 deep Creatures from the Loin moped posse rolls below my windows, filling my ears with 70cc straight pipes and my livingroom with twostroke exhaust

and just as fast as they came, they dissapeared into the night in a symphony of loving obnoxious buzzing.

HIPSTERS :argh:

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

God-damned Pilates posted:

Not sure if it's a 1-speed/2-speed, or 20/25/30mph model, but I'll know more with more research, and none of these issues can't be resolved by kit throwing action.

You can tell if it is the 1 or 2 speed by looking at the clutch cover on the right side. 1 speed is round 2 is rectangular. As far as the hp/speed the carb size is a good place to start. You can tell what size it is by looking at the markings on it. It should have a stamp that says 1/*/** with * being the venturi diameter. I believe all the 2hp models had 14mm carb on them.

Speaking of kits, I just got a kstar 50cc hi comp head and a techno boss pipe for my magnum. 45mph should be pretty attainable.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Just ordered a tecno boss myself. Hope to get Treat's 70cc party kit when another comes in as well, and I'll see about carb choices from there.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

FYI, the treats kits are k-star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

OlDirtyBehrmann posted:

FYI, the treats kits are k-star.

What's this mean?

• Locked thread