Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl
:siren: IMPORTANT :siren:
  • Mopeds have motors and pedals
  • Mopeds have large wheels (15" - 17")
  • Stock mopeds are usually 49cc and go ~30mph whereas most scooters are in the 150cc range and go ~60mph
  • Mopeds are usually old and very used. The majority of them are from the 1970s gas crisis
  • Mopeds are usually rolling projects, but they are very easy to work on. A Puch E50 engine can be rebuilt in an hour or so, and a rusted $50 found-in-a-barn bike can usually be restored to running condition over a weekend with the right parts and tools.
MOPED:

SCOOTER:

FAQ
  • Why should a I get a moped (and not a scooter or motorcycle)?
    Scooters are relatively expensive for the quality of parts (unless you're buying a high-end genuine Vespa) and are usually made in China. They also have a bunch of expensive breakable plastic on them. Scooter riders look like they're on a toilet with wheels.
    Motorcycles are heavy, fast, and are Serious Business.

A moped gives the rider a much more mellow riding experience for very little money and effort. Mopeds average about 40mph and are light -- less than 200lbs fully fueled.
    Repairs are simple, easy, and can be done in a garage with basic hand tools. Parts are cheap and plentiful.

Insurance usually costs about $70 per year and gas costs $4 per fillup for a gallon of gas and some two-stroke oil. Mopeds usually get over 100mpg.
    Can't beat that in today's economy.

• Where do I buy mopeds?
    Yard/estate/garage sales, eBay, Craigslist, old barns, trash heaps, etc. Try the MA Buy/Sell Forum

• What sort of moped should I get?
    This is a topic of great debate, but in my opinion a moped rider should develop the mechanical knowledge to fix their own bike. Taking a moped to a motorcycle or scooter shop is generally a waste of time and money with the additional risk of making the problem worse since mopeds aren't generally seen very much these days.

As a first timer, look for a bike that has a single-speed Puch E50 engine (not a two-speed ZA50) or a Honda Hobbit (look for the faster yellow PA50-II model)

• How much should I pay for a moped?
    Running bikes can usually be had for about $200-$300

• What should I look for when buying a moped?
    It's like buying a used car or motorcycle, but simpler!
    • Give the bike a glance. Does it look okay? Any problems immediately jump out?
    • Look for heavy rust, DIY welds, cracks, or other structural problems
    • Make sure the tires aren't dry rotted. If they are, prepare to shell out $40 and an afternoon to replace them
    • Pedal the bike around on a flat even surface and make sure the pedals, brakes, and steering work
    • Make sure it starts and runs (if the exhaust is hot/warm when you arrive let it cool and and then try to start)
    • Put the bike back on the kickstand and rev it up and down. Does it bog down? Does it make weird noises?
    • Give it a test drive and be sure to test how well it pulls from a dead stop and uphill.

• Wow, I found this really awesome Kinetic moped!
    NO DONT

• What about new/newer Tomos bikes?
    Not really worth the price, and the mechanics aren't that great either.

• Where do I buy moped parts?
    Treats, 1977 Mopeds, Myron's Mopeds, MA Buy/Sell Forum, Moped Junkyard, eBay

• Where do I get help with my piece of junk?
    MA Repair Forum, but before that check out their Wiki

• I just bought a moped!
    Throw a kit

• What if the police see me riding 'peds?
    they gon pull you to the side
    so always ride in packs
    stay together fo sho

• My headlight is going out, what should I do?
    just jiggle the cord

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I do!! Unfortunately, I dont have any good pics of it.

1977 Puch Maxi Sport. All original, 480 miles.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Small world, just today I went down to Austin Mopeds to look at their gear. Texas is kind of a weird case in that there really isn't a legal advantage to a 49cc <35mph bike, so far as TX law is concerned it's just a little motorcycle, with the sole exception being that you can get a restircted M(K) moped license by taking just the written test. Still has to have plates, inspection, title, registration, etc. So that partially explains why mopeds aren't so huge here despite year-round good weather and lots of 20-somethings.

That said, Austin Mopeds was really cool, and had dozens of bikes in various states. They mostly keep clunkers in inventory, and rebuild them to customer specs. They are a bit pricey, most bikes starting at $1000+, and mainly just deal in Euro models. But some of the custom stuff they had there was wicked awesome.

One of the interesting side effects of the TX law's "moped=motorcycle" law is that you have little incentive to stay stock, so the ACR512 (local Moped Army branch) rides are apparently pretty high-speed since everyone's custom. One guy in the shop had a custom Puch that gets over 60mph, which has got to be frightening on a 110lb vehicle...

I'm kind of tempted to get a moped, but leery of spending $1000+, which is almost as much as my 250cc Honda Nighthawk cost me. I might just cruise Craigslist a bit and get a 49cc <35mph clunker to mess with first, and consider getting something awesome later if I really get into it, either replacing a motorcycle or as a supplement to it.

I think "cafe racer" mopeds are the coolest:

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 23, 2008

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Holy poo poo, I've never seen a Cafe moped before. That thing is excellent.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
the original moped - the whizzer.. 138cc belt driven, clutch, compression release and a kill switch. the headlight has high and low beams. when they come stock, they are road legal and do about 25, with a little adjustment they push on 40.

old design, new production... lots of custom business.

this is how it looked when i first got it

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Bugdrvr posted:

Holy poo poo, I've never seen a Cafe moped before. That thing is excellent.

They had several like that at Austin Mopeds.

It's pretty cool looking, but again these are tricked-out 60mph+ mopeds, and with the cafe style you're crouched over with basically nothing to keep you going off the front other than a firm grip.

I asked the due who claimed to have hit 65 on his cafe-style moped, if it was scary to hit that speed on a 110lb frame: "Hell yeah." :cool:

Again, I'm tempted, but it seems a bit redundant to my 250cc motorcycle, I'm moving in April (probably overseas), and I have some concerns that switching from "right hand=clutch" to "right hand=brake" might spill my noob rear end all over the road at this stage in the learning curve.

Though I like cafe-style, if I were to go all custom moped I think I'd want one made to look like a WWII military cycle, all olive-drab and minimalist with some stencil work.\

EDIT: WI still down, but a moped version of this wood be cool: http://www.oldengine.org/shows/mvrs97/aug09_09.jpg

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 19, 2008

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Oh drat you, I was going to make my own thread. :)

PA50 Buddies!

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I bought mine (82) in the spring for $20. It hadn't been run in a few years, and I didn't know what I was getting into ($20 of scrap metal was my worst scenario). I didn't get to work on it cause I was away from home/school all summer, but when I got back to school I tinkered with it for a while.

I rode it for about 20 minutes before something lodged in the exhaust and killed the power (20mph to about 4mph). It took about a month before I could take the exhaust off, put in on a grill to burn the crap out, and clean it up. Runs great right now. I get about 20, but if I'm going on a longer ride/not just commuting to campus, I like to take the exhaust off and pull about 35 (I know its not good for it, but you'll see my reasoning in a minute).

I bought spare EVERYTHING on ebay/moped army for about 250 bucks, including engine, whole front end (forks, handlebars, speedo, etc), carb, rims, brakes, and more. I put the engine off of ebay on it (when I was trouble shooting the exhaust issue) and never took it off. The engine looks like poo poo, and the one that came with it only had 1900 miles and looks to be in a whole lot better shape. Basically I'm just wearing the gently caress out of my cheap buy and then I'll put the nice one back on. :) So far I've put about 600 miles on the bad boy. Not bad for a few months, eh?

I love this thing so much I went and bought a Sym Fiddle II 50 about a month and a half after school started. The day I bought that, someone stole it. About two weeks after that happened, I drove about 10 hours in a weekend Blacksburg VA-Knoxville TN to pick up two Kinetic TFRs (black 1999, purple 1997). I'm waiting for x-mas break to really mess with those. I think the black needs a carb cleaning, while the purple one needs a hell if I know.

Sigh, if only I had saved my money so I can get the Tomosi (plural) I want that are actually in stock now.

PS: I'll take a picture of my group of three + my neighbor's Madass sometime soon and post 'em up.

MOPEDS!

Bean_ fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 19, 2008

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
1978 Peugeot 103 SP. It's French, not italian. That means it just stops running instead of catches fire.

I washed it a couple days ago. I put on new cranks. (NOS batavus cranks) And new pedals. It needs some new pictures taken of it. I also got the side covers bolted on. It's way more amusing than it should be. It needs some "real" bars on it. The sit up and beg bars that are on it are ... odd. And bent. I bought MX bars to put on it... they seem to wide. I have 3/4 a mind to buy "riser" bars for a bicycle and use those.

That or drag bars.

I absolutely love playing with a 100lb motorcycle. It's awesome on so many levels.

Speaking of which, anyone need some puch cranks? They're a little ugly, but they're straight.

And just because it's bugging me. The Wizzer isn't the granddaddy of mopeds. I"ll need to dig up the originator. But the wizzer is an American thing. Mopeds started in Europe. Ducati got their start with cyclemotors. Solex had their little FWD rig (which is still on sale now..)

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 19, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Nerobro posted:

I absolutely love playing with a 100lb motorcycle. It's awesome on so many levels.

For goons considering mopeds, can you go into a little more detail here? For you, what makes mopeds more fun than a motorcycle?

Why would you recommend them to others?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

For goons considering mopeds, can you go into a little more detail here? For you, what makes mopeds more fun than a motorcycle?

To me its nice to have both worlds, really.

For instance, my main bike is a Suzuki Bandit 1200. Its 100-ish HP, and torquier than a lot of small cars. Its very fast, and requires restraint to not lose your license on. Its also big.

A moped, scooter, or small motorcycle is the complete opposite end of the spectrum. You can slam it around, balls to the wall, full throttle all day, and not get a speeding ticket. You can toss it around corners, and push it right to the limit on the street without really being crazy with it.

Its just a complete opposite end of the spectrum thing, and that's why I think a lot of people who own bigger bikes also like to have small bikes or scooters.

EDIT: I forgot the best part. If you have some friends with scooters or small bikes, you can find an abandoned parking lot or open space and set up race courses and everything. You'd be surprised how fun it is to race these little things, they really make the rider shine, since you dont really have any power to use to your advantage.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Let me begin with "a moped is not a substitute for a full size motorcycle." Mopeds just won't cut it when doing intercity travel, or even inter-town travel. That is, unless you hotrod the hell out of one. But that's a commentary for later.

I'd recommend mopeds to others, for the same reason slow cars are fun. It's a greater challenge, and more fun to ride a small bike at their limit, than to ride a big bike at 1/100th of it's potential. Also, if you make a mistake on a moped, you're only going 20-25mph, not 50-70. And you're dancing with a 100lb partner, not a 400lb partner. The potential for screwing yourself up is much smaller.

Yesterday, to get the 103 out from behind a car. I grabbed the rear brake, tiped the bike up on end, and pivoted it around. Just like a bicycle. At ~100lbs you can just manhandle the thing like a typical bicycle.

They're 2 stroke. If you haven't ridden a 2 stroke, you don't know what you're in for yet. Despite only having 1-2hp on tap, you still know when you hit the powerband.

The typical moped gets 100mpg. If you manage to find one of the rare 4 stroke mopeds you're looking at 150mpg or better.

A moped falling onto your ankle, isn't going to keep you out of work for 6 weeks.

They're a "real" motorcycle. You can practice everything motorcycle related on one. Also, with the pedals, they have excellent ground clearance.

Then we get to the fun stuff. Mopeds are almost designed to be screwed with. Almost nothing takes more than four bolts to remove. The bikes have very, very long production cycles. For instance tomos has been using the same disk valve motor since day one. And only recently did they introduce something new. Puch had three motors, and two were the same block. The peugeot 102-103 was built from the late 60's to the late 90's in essentially the same form.

That means the aftermarket is STRONG. If you want a tuned pipe, there is one for your bike. Do you want a New intake manifold, New carb(Delorto and mikuni...), Fancy drive pully, Aluminum Cylinder, Water cooled Cylinder, CDI, Frame brace, Pegs to replace those silly pedals, Adjustable clutch, Adjustable CVT rollers, or even racing crankcases. It's all out there.

Also being a 2 stroke, there's a lot of home tuning options available to you. So if you feel like breaking out a book, and a dremmel, you can significantly improve your bike without spending a lot of money.

Even better, if you're smart... You'll be able to do better than most of the "tuner" monkeys on moped army. (I swear the group there is stoned most of the time)

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

I think "cafe racer" mopeds are the coolest. WI is down, but here's a link to an awesome example: http://creaturesoftheloin.com/images/puch_cafe_racer_magnum.jpg

These guys are from my neighborhood (Tenderloin in SF). There are a ton of mopeds in the area, definitely makes me want to get one seeing them all bombing down the streets. The best part is most of them have straight pipes and are hilariously loud. A couple nights ago walking home I saw one go past completely drowning out the guy on the Harley 50 feet in front of him. Greatest thing ever.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Small world, just today I went down to Austin Mopeds to look at their gear. Texas is kind of a weird case in that there really isn't a legal advantage to a 49cc <35mph bike, so far as TX law is concerned it's just a little motorcycle, with the sole exception being that you can get a restircted M(K) moped license by taking just the written test. Still has to have plates, inspection, title, registration, etc. So that partially explains why mopeds aren't so huge here despite year-round good weather and lots of 20-somethings.

That said, Austin Mopeds was really cool, and had dozens of bikes in various states. They mostly keep clunkers in inventory, and rebuild them to customer specs. They are a bit pricey, most bikes starting at $1000+, and mainly just deal in Euro models. But some of the custom stuff they had there was wicked awesome.

One of the interesting side effects of the TX law's "moped=motorcycle" law is that you have little incentive to stay stock, so the ACR512 (local Moped Army branch) rides are apparently pretty high-speed since everyone's custom. One guy in the shop had a custom Puch that gets over 60mph, which has got to be frightening on a 110lb vehicle...

I'm kind of tempted to get a moped, but leery of spending $1000+, which is almost as much as my 250cc Honda Nighthawk cost me. I might just cruise Craigslist a bit and get a 49cc <35mph clunker to mess with first, and consider getting something awesome later if I really get into it, either replacing a motorcycle or as a supplement to it.

I think "cafe racer" mopeds are the coolest. WI is down, but here's a link to an awesome example: http://creaturesoftheloin.com/images/puch_cafe_racer_magnum.jpg

From what I can tell the Austin moped scene is pretty happening. One of my friends was dating a guy in/becoming a part of (until she broke up with him) the Action City Rockers or some such. Moped gangs are apparently a big deal there. (:laugh: )(seriously though mopeds are great fun)

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Even better, if you're smart... You'll be able to do better than most of the "tuner" monkeys on moped army. (I swear the group there is stoned most of the time)

To be fair, I think they're mostly just kids.

To expand on your point about parts availability, it may be worth it to check for certain things before you pull the trigger on a used moped. The Puchs and Motomorinis of the world may have an aftermarket, for example, but the Jawas and Batavuses are a bit more lacking. Check into what you're buying to make sure you are happy with the aftermarket if that's your plan.

This is speaking as the former owner of two Jawas (now just one), so it could be because I own the Yugo of the moped world.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

*reads forum on vehicles primarily ridden by 15 year-olds* WTF you guys are so NOT pro.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Moped gangs are apparently a big deal there. (:laugh: )

And on that note its probably a good time to post this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_kIUSr7-is

throw a kit on that bitch

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

*reads forum on vehicles primarily ridden by 15 year-olds* WTF you guys are so NOT pro.

The MA folks, best as I can tell from pics/footage and the ones I've met in Austin, seem to be mid-late 20-somethings overall.

I think teenagers are mainly inside playing MMORPGs or twittering each other or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I wish this kind of thing had been popular in the mid 90s when I was a teenager, that would've been an awesome way to dick around and learn some mechanical skills while impressing sophomore girls. Unfortunately, most of this gear was probably collecting dust in someone's garage where it'd sat since 1978 at that point.

Going down to Austin Moped again today, though still somewhat reluctant to spend $1000+ on a 50cc. Then again, if I get a cool one I can probably resell it for most/all of the value when I move in April. Austin winter isn't bad at all, but I can see folks getting more excited about riding over the spring.

Not too many moped deals on CL, but some dude's been flogging his Yamaha QT50 on every single CL within a 4hr radius for the last couple weeks. $650, but it's practically new:

quote:

They're a "real" motorcycle. You can practice everything motorcycle related on one.

While we're on the topic, I'll flip the question: why a moped over a scooter? For me personally, I like the moped style a lot more, in that it more resembles a bike or motorcycle rather than a chair.

Cool, found a pic of a 1939 Puch Military:

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

While we're on the topic, I'll flip the question: why a moped over a scooter? For me personally, I like the moped style a lot more, in that it more resembles a bike or motorcycle rather than a chair.

That reason. I like feeling as though I'm more open to the road, rather than behind a leg shield.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

The MA folks, best as I can tell from pics/footage and the ones I've met in Austin, seem to be mid-late 20-somethings overall.

I think teenagers are mainly inside playing MMORPGs or twittering each other or whatever.

Still, the vast majority are hipsters learning through the tinkering necessary to have fun/look cool, not serious motorheads. There are definitely exceptions, but having seen the Austin scene and having exposure to the MA forums I think the majority of them fit better under the 15 year-old category than serious motor enthusiast category :P

Additionally, while they may not be as visible there is definitely a huge contingent of 15 year-olds into this as well. And they post.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

FluffGrenade posted:

To be fair, I think they're mostly just kids.
I suppose so. If you look through the member directory, it seems about half the members are 25 years old and up. Then again, the forum doesn't have the $10 retard filter. ;-) They should be doing better than this. They are constantly blowing up motors, and get 30mpg when "fully kitted out". There's a lot wrong with that.

quote:

The Puchs and Motomorinis of the world may have an aftermarket, for example, but the Jawas and Batavuses are a bit more lacking. Check into what you're buying to make sure you are happy with the aftermarket if that's your plan.

In the case of batavuses, They either run the sachs? motor, or the peugeot 103 motor. So you're not entirely screwed. it's not well documented, but in a large part if you have a "rare" moped, it's likely a relabel, or they bought motors from another company.

Me too, for a large part. Bigger wheels improve the ride too. With step through mopeds, they often even have the same shopping bag hangers. (my Peugeot 103 has one) There's also the lean angle thing. They land on handlebars and pedals instead of expensive plastic or metal when they fall over.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Nerobro posted:

In the case of batavuses, They either run the sachs? motor, or the peugeot 103 motor. So you're not entirely screwed. it's not well documented, but in a large part if you have a "rare" moped, it's likely a relabel, or they bought motors from another company.

Well, I guess I'll stick with what I know: Jawas: everything they have on them is specific to Jawas (excepting, of course, the stuff you might swap; wheels etc...). The Manet Korado was like the weird frankenstein in that it used a Jawa engine of all things with a Puch frame. "Gee, I want a Puch, but I also want the challenge of finding a Thyristor that was once produced in Czekoslovakia, which incidentally no longer exists as a nation. I know! I'll get a Korado!"

Damned threaded rods used to keep the godawful Jikov carbs on strip real easily too.

So I guess my message above can be amended to specifically state that only an idiot buys a Jawa, and a special kind buys two different Jawa model mopeds. I'll let you infer as to who this idiot is.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Vanity? With a moped? Well call it what you will.

I put more than 20 miles on it today. I'm working on my second tank of gas. I really need to get it running at more than 30 mph.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Nerobro posted:

I put more than 20 miles on it today. I'm working on my second tank of gas. I really need to get it running at more than 30 mph.

I was talking to the cafe racer moped dude today, and he had a fun story about getting pulled over by a cop:

:clint: Well kid, what's the engine on that thing?
:cool: Umm.... 49cc?
:clint: ... Looks mighty big
:cool: I put a larger cap on it... for better cooling.
:clint: And that's how you got it over 60mph, according to my radar?
:cool: I bored it out some too...
:clint: Well, just try and take it easy, okay?

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

pr0zac posted:

throw a kit on that bitch

It's always a good time to post that video:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
drat, these things are odd to look for on CL:

-"moped" brings up mostly scooters, but a few mopeds
-"scooter" brings up almost all scoots, a bunch of kids push-scooters, and cripple-carrying scooters, and maybe a couple mopeds
-"49cc" and "50cc" bring up all kinds of gear, but a couple mopeds
- and I've accidentally stumbled across a few ads with none of the above keywords, but just listed by model and brand: "FS Motobecane Moby $300"

Quirky. But I am finding more stuff now. Austin Mopeds is deluxe-ish and kinda pricey, so I'm probably best off finding a cheap beater, fixing what I can, and having them give it a once-over, rather than buying a bike directly from them.

I'll be selling when I move in April anyway, but if I get huge into it I'm kinda thinking to just get a brand-new Tomos when I move to D.C., that way I can trick it out without ruining anything vintage, and all the parts and kits will be current make.

I like the minimalism of the Tomos Sprint:

... but the Tomos Revival is just trying way to hard. It's almost creepy:

quote:

Petitioning to edit the title of this thread:

Moped Megathread: Throw a kit on that bitch

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 20, 2008

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
I actually really like the way the Revival looks. I hear it feels really comfy on the tush, too. :)

You can't really go wrong with Tomos. Besides the fact that they're really the only true "moped" still being sold today in the US, they have parts GALORE out there, and I hear that they are incredibly easy to work on.

I want one sooo badly, but I couldn't find any for sale in VA or SC when I had the money to buy one. :(

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Moped Megathread: Throw a kit on that bitch

Cycle Asylum: Just bought a moped

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I had to google around for some fun potential projects and came across this stunner.

The Sachs MadAss

Comes in 125cc too. Oh I want one sooo bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rwmbbr9gSM

http://www.madass.ca/

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

If you want to get technical, the madass is a small motorcycle, not a moped. I've lusted after that extremely naked motorcycle for a couple years now.

When buying a tomos, keep in mind they have two motors. IIRC both are piston port, so their ultimate power potential is pretty small.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

I just talked to my friend in Austin and she's looking to sell her Motobecane for $1700. Probably out of your price range but I thought I'd let you know. It's in fantastic shape and hasn't been kitted (yet).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

From now on, we shall refer to kits by their status, thrown or not thrown.

Your friends Motobecane? Kit status: not thrown

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Phat_Albert posted:

From now on, we shall refer to kits by their status, thrown or not thrown.

Your friends Motobecane? Kit status: not thrown

So do we vote on adding "Just bought a moped" vs. "throw a kit on that bitch" for the title, and then PM sigtrap to get it changed?

Any other lyrics I'm missing?

I might have a chance to get a Hobbit for $450 or so, no title (which I do need in TX), in pretty good shape although needing about $50 in parts, and apparently needs the gas tank boiled and sealed.

Anyone done title bonding for a moped? How terrible/expensive is it?

Also might be able to get a Honda Express for $250-300, but no details on condition/title yet.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

I might have a chance to get a Hobbit for $450 or so, no title (which I do need in TX), in pretty good shape although needing about $50 in parts, and apparently needs the gas tank boiled and sealed.

I've got some spare hobbit parts laying around. Let me know what you think you need, and I'll see what I can scrounge up. I THINK I have a tank lying around in red, if you end up getting the hobbit.

Bean_ fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 20, 2008

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

I just talked to my friend in Austin and she's looking to sell her Motobecane for $1700. Probably out of your price range but I thought I'd let you know. It's in fantastic shape and hasn't been kitted (yet).

I don't know what your market is like, but in Boston, a moped goes for $900 if it's absolutely perfect. $1700 new, maybe, but an old Motobecane? I almost got one yesterday (granted it needed brake cables and a compression lever) for $150.

But again, Austin may be crazy, who knows. Boston is hipster central, so you figure we'd be the high end, so that price surprised the crap out of me.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

FluffGrenade posted:

I don't know what your market is like, but in Boston, a moped goes for $900 if it's absolutely perfect. $1700 new, maybe, but an old Motobecane? I almost got one yesterday (granted it needed brake cables and a compression lever) for $150.

But again, Austin may be crazy, who knows. Boston is hipster central, so you figure we'd be the high end, so that price surprised the crap out of me.

Moped Megathread: Just jiggle the cord

Moped Megathread: Mopeds is always broke, but they easy to fix

?

Austin has kind of high prices on two-wheelers in general, from what I see of CL. Same as with motorcycles, all the prices are a couple hundred more than in other cities, it seems. Maybe a large number of 20-somethings, year-round riding weather, etc.

Plus TX has a general deficit of mopeds since TX law treats them almost exactly as motorcycles, with the minor exception that you can get a "moped only" license which involves a written test but no riding test. So mopeds never caught on down here to the degree they did in "no license/title/reg required" states. That doesn't prevent every single rear end in a top hat selling Chinese 49cc Vespa knockoffs from putting "NO LICENSE, REGISTRATION, OR INSURNCE REQUIRED!!! TOTALLY STREET LEGAL!!!" in their ads.

EDIT: The dude with 2 Honda Expresses (Hondas Express?) still has them, and I think has had them posted long enough to maybe come down on price. So will go to see those soon. He wants $600 the pair, might try and argue him down. Definitely will argue him down if no titles, since a dude in Dallas has one for $200 in good shape w/ title, but I don't want to drive that far. Any Dallas moped-wanters here? I found two $200 Expresses there on CL.

Anyone had experience posting a title bond for a title-less moped? The dude with the Hobbit has no title, and insisted "mopeds don't need titles!" I'd love to believe him, but the DMV apparently differs on the subject.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 21, 2008

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FluffGrenade posted:

As someone who's lived in Brooklyn I can tell you that either Boston has cheap prices and low demand for some reason or you don't know a lot about mopeds. NY craigslist prices last I checked typically started at $1000 for a good vintage one and I know for a fact it's the same in LA. This isn't just any Motobecane its some mint condition supercool one or some poo poo (I don't know a lot about mopeds). Also, megalols at you thinking Boston is "hipster central." Brooklyn is ground zero of the hipster explosion and I moved to Jersey to escape the fallout. :unsmith:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nerobro posted:

If you want to get technical, the madass is a small motorcycle, not a moped.

To get national, anything <50cc, such as the MadAss is defined as a moped over here.

MadAss

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

EDIT: I may have mistaken the tone. I'll just ignore it.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

What is usually the consensus from the ATGATT crowd on mopeds? I don't see a lot of moped riders around to gauge for myself, but I would imagine a bicycle helmet might be the extent of protection for most riders?

VVVVV
That's exactly what I mean. I'm a total ATGATT Nazi on my motorcycle, but even I would feel like a complete tool wearing more than gloves and a helmet on a moped.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 21, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

LifeSizePotato posted:

What is usually the consensus from the ATGATT crowd on mopeds? I don't see a lot of moped riders around to gauge for myself, but I would imagine a bicycle helmet might be the extent of protection for most riders?

The consensus is that falling off a moped at 30 is the same as falling off a motorcycle at thirty. Same goes for a kitted moped at 60.

That said, I'd feel pretty lame on a moped in full leathers unless I was clearly being ironic or something.

• Locked thread