Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Very late to the game, but I don't usually do any shenanigans when I play. But on TF2 when it's an achievement server loaded with bots, there's nothing that's more fun than setting up a sentry. Especially if you're the same team as the folks trying to grind the achievements, as you can wipe out the bots on the other side before they can be used for anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've been experimenting with another form of griefing on TF2, just because the playerbase seems so susceptible to it. I call it "anonymous confessions".
It requires a microphone and you need to be dedicated to it for it to work, but if you really put some effort into it, it shines.

Just talk a little, don't be too overt, just talk friendly and try to establish yourself as a nice guy for a while. Then suddenly stop yourself and say something like, "You know since I'm never going to meet you guys in person and you'll probably never run into any of you again, I just -- I need to confess something. There's something I have to get off my chest."
Proceed to 'confess' the most uncomfortable thing you can think up. This won't get people raging like a lot of the examples in this thread, more just generate an intensely awkward atmosphere, but "grief" is probably the best word for what these people summarily experience.

The trick is to make it just horrible enough to be believable. Maybe you still drink from a baby bottle when you're alone. Maybe you're scum of the earth -- "I stole a $6000 watch out of an old mans car, then helped him look for it for an hour and a half while he told me his wife, recently killed in a car crash, gave it to him for his birthday". Maybe when you were thirteen you had bizarre masturbatory habits that got you sent to the hospital, but you were too embarrassed to tell the truth so you blamed your uncle who went to jail for five years and your family never spoke to again. Or just go with something simple like "I gave my boss chlamydia" or "Ever since I was twelve I've jerked off to Fraggle Rock, and I still fantasize about Red".
Just be as completely out of left field as you can and leave everyone wishing you hadn't shared.

A few years ago I would've suggested grouphug for good confession fodder but nowadays it's just whiny emo teenagers whining about how unhappy or unloved they are instead of actually confessing anything.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

IRE games were amazing for griefing.

I feel I should explain a little more about them to the uninitiated. While the games are technically free to play, people can buy ingame "credits" for (large amounts of) real money, with which they can then purchase unique equipment, pets, houses, etc. Many players spent literally hundreds or thousands of dollars on virtual swords and parrots. This expenditure combined with the fact that for many of the players the game is their only social interaction leads to a pretty huge emotional investment in their characters.

I was a founding GM in Lusternia, but I mostly played Achaea. There were two classes - Jester and Shaman - who had the ability to create puppets or dolls of people. These could be fashioned remarkably quickly, and you didn't lose your progress even if you ran away from someone you were making one of, so it was easy to max one out. Having a maxed out puppet allowed you to do almost anything to the person it was a puppet of. You could summon them to you, shake items out of their inventory, force them to perform actions or see illusions, invisibly leech a percentage of any experience they gained, and even remotely get them drunk on tequila.

One of the effects of drunkenness ingame was to slur people's speech by inserting random characters. If you could get your victim drunk enough quick enough, they couldn't explain what was happening to anyone until it wore off.

This was best done to members of the various knightly orders ingame, most of whom took their roleplay very seriously indeed and had strict codes of conduct forbidding alchohol..

This isn't even touching on the ludicrous PK rules and issue system. I greatly enjoyed constantly starting timed instakills on people, which did not count as an attack under the rules unless they finished (and killed the target).

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 6, 2009

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jack the Lad posted:

puppets and dolls
I feel like I just went back in time forty pages.
Actually while the dolls have been talked about already, I really found them (and their associated game) to be one of the most entertaining griefing campaigns of the thread. Shaking out purchased items or force-liquoring a teetotaler knight is just so priceless.

I wish there were logs of this stuff.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Vib Rib posted:

I wish there were logs of this stuff.
I found what looks like a collection of logs from IRE games here. The first use of the puppetry/vodun set I found is here. This one is absurdly spammy, but you can watch the player's combat scripts update with fashion breakpoints as more powerful commands become available. Fun stuff includes:
code:
You whisper, "inr all kelp" to the puppet of Akia.

You pour your wrath out onto the right arm of the puppet, mangling it quite horribly.
The right arm of Akia is suddenly horribly mangled by an unseen force.

"Sleep...sleep," you whisper to a puppet of Akia.
Akia's eyes close suddenly as she falls asleep.

You cover the ears and eyes of the puppet of Akia, blacking out her senses.
Seems like there's no more Obliterate due to whining. Instead, there's this: http://forums.achaea.com/index.php?showtopic=34316&st=0. Also seems like Achaea has gotten even worse since I stopped playing. It reads like the WoW boards. At least if WoW boards had more anime, mudsex and "paying customerGRAH:argh:" Arena junkies are the easiest people to grief ever. They drop unhealthy amounts of money into the game to max out skills and get indestructable/unstealable artifact equipment and try to use that contribution as leverage to have changes made which favor them. This has been working for years.

VegasRidesAgain
Feb 23, 2009
My friends and I have found a particularly oversensitive individual on a TF2 server that we have been loving with near constantly. All it takes is a taunt after killing him and he goes off the deep end. He used to type "place" into chat (which displayed his #1 spot to the server) whenever we killed him, but I've taken the top spot from him and show him after every kill. This wouldn't be worthy of a post, if it weren't for the complete breakdown he had to one of my friends, who had been acting like his friend.

:saddowns: You and your friends killed everything I had on that server
:hehe: you mean your rank?
:saddowns: Do you and your clan of rear end in a top hat take JOY? In ruining all the poo poo I ever had?
:saddowns: Its not even about rank
:hehe: What did we ruin?
:hehe: Except your rank

:saddowns: My credibility, before you showed up, I was the best spy on that server. And I could say that with complete confidence. Because no one else would play the class. I'm dedicated to that class. I don't even know where it began. You have some loving MISSION to take me down. Now you have like, 5 people completely against me. Insulting my clan, my class, and my skill. For the record, when I first met you, you were a complete rear end in a top hat. Why should I even believe you? I can't play like this. Not at all. I can't play, I can't hold my title as the server spy. Vegas taunts and shows his place. EVERY TIME HE KILLS ME. How could that not fusterate me, and eventually make me suck?

:saddowns: You drove me out of my favorite server, thats the bottom line. I hope you are happy.

It goes on for a bit more and my friend makes it obvious that if he leaves we win, so he still plays there and we didn't get a real victory, but that speech will forever be a trophy on my hard drive. There are also several posts on the server's forums, ranting and asking for our heads on a pike. Unfortunately, the admins are acting as this guy's parents and we will probably be banned within the week.

CAPTAIN DOOP
Sep 19, 2008

by The Finn
You griefed someone so hard you literally broke their spirit and ran them out of town. That was hilarious.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

VegasRidesAgain posted:

The ragequit of all ragequits

Goddrat, nice work.

Edit: Is this PC or 360? I'd love to grief this person if I see him around.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Ninjasaurus posted:

Goddrat, nice work.

Edit: Is this PC or 360? I'd love to grief this person if I see him around.

I'm guessing it's this dude
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197995713231

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

But since I only play on the SoB server,
Oh man, I need an IP address. Maybe it's one of the two listed under his spy group thing. I have a feeling I can ruin his day by just playing pyro.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Osmosisch posted:

quote:

Spies are everywhere. You can't stop them. You can't see them

quote:

Christian Gaming Community - Public
293 Members | 7 In-Game | 57 Online | 0 In Group Chat
That's loving hilarious.

VegasRidesAgain
Feb 23, 2009

Osmosisch posted:

Yeah, it is. More than 200 hours as spy and he's still god awful at it.

Here is the group for the SoB server (contains IP):
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bedlamasylumpub

VegasRidesAgain fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 16, 2009

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande
Maybe I could join that elite spy group... ah it's invite only.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hwangin Tough posted:

Maybe I could join that elite spy group... ah it's invite only.

Yes, well, it's Elite, you see.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Osmosisch posted:

Wow he's played 55 hours of TF2 in the past 2 weeks. Is that on par with some of you other goons? I can't imagine playing that much unless I had no job, or friends.

CAPTAIN DOOP
Sep 19, 2008

by The Finn

Ninjasaurus posted:

Wow he's played 55 hours of TF2 in the past 2 weeks. Is that on par with some of you other goons? I can't imagine playing that much unless I had no job, or friends.

Uhhmmm, maybe you should try reading the post again. He did have friends, and a job. Vegas took that from him, as well as his rank.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

CAPTAIN DOOP posted:

Uhhmmm, maybe you should try reading the post again. He did have friends, and a job. Vegas took that from him, as well as his rank.

Yes, I am aware of that. Ease off son. I am still amazed at that kind of playtime. Maybe his hours skyrocketed when he lost all ties with the social world.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ninjasaurus posted:

That'd be about four hours every day, assuming he doesn't play more on the weekends than on weekdays. It's a bit much, but not unheard of.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

flatluigi posted:

That'd be about four hours every day, assuming he doesn't play more on the weekends than on weekdays. It's a bit much, but not unheard of.

Most of the really hardcore WoW players I know don't play that much.

(I may not know terribly hardcore WoW players.)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
4 hours a day? I dunno, I mean if I literally had nothing going on and was REALLY into a game I can see that. Not for too long, mind you, and not during periods of time when I'm busy at work and come home exhausted, but it doesn't seem too outlandish.

And I always equated "hardcore WoW" with "8 hours a day on weekdays, all day weekends, my body is at serious risk of fusing with my computer chair"

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Another gem from dear Ryaib

UPDATE: I'm taking back every thing I said about SoB. Ever since Outofammo, Vegas, and Sir Candle showed up, I'm liking this server less and less.

I can't loving stand these assholes, I don't even know when it began, but all they do now is rip on me. Not like I care, but its getting loving annoying. They taunt every time after they kill me and always talk poo poo on me.

They put [ESG] in their name just to piss me off, and its loving working.

Better yet, admins and regulars are hardly on. So I have to deal with this bullshit.

CAPTAIN DOOP
Sep 19, 2008

by The Finn
Man the way this guy is dramatizing makes it seem like the Punisher's origin.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Aw, talking poo poo? It would be even funnier if you never said a word to him, leaving him to fume and rage over the equally retarded offenses of taunting and "fraudulent" clan tags.

edit: He's on that server right now! Whee!

Drox fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 17, 2009

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yes he is, Vegas just regained first place in rank.
http://cs136.counter-strike.com/?mode=players&game=tf
Stats if you want to check on them

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Senor Candle posted:

Yes he is, Vegas just regained first place in rank.
http://cs136.counter-strike.com/?mode=players&game=tf
Stats if you want to check on them

And he just lost it again.

I would love to see an in-game video with some of this guy's whining.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

And he just lost it again.

I would love to see an in-game video with some of this guy's whining.
Yeah, it's pretty neck and neck in at this point.
Ryaib just usually sits his rear end on a heavy as medic and rides his way to the top.

He doesn't whine too much in game, but he goes to the admins personally and also on the forums.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hahahah. That was great. I added the ESG tag and it was obvious he was complaining to the admins. They slapped me around a little and then started private messaging me. Where are these forums?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

In Resident Evil 5, if you equip a grenade and keep pulling the aim trigger and letting go fast enough, it looks like you're doing :jerkbag:. People don't like it when I join their games with nothing but flash grenades and :fap: with them while they're getting mauled to death.

Khounur
Jan 8, 2008
Cantankerous Lore Addict
World of Warcraft

Noob Baiting: I would tame rare pet then keep in on the spawn point with the same name. Noob would come along try to kill it and get killed and camped

Using the druid spell Typhoon spell to knock people off their flying mounts.

This is my favorite that can usually work on RP servers.. i wont explain my methods as they are mine and i don't want copy cats.

Stage 1:
Create a new personality
Stage 2:
Scope out the RP scene

After this point i will make friends with the "disgruntled" higher members of guilds.
Make friends, help them, spend time with them. After you have their trust and they are trust you you can start to try push for information.

Here is a small example of what i did a few months back.

I infiltrated a guild and got myself to a high rank and had "friends" or sources/nodes of information with that i extorted about 1 thousand gold from someone. I had found out someone was passing themselves off as a female and I gave him a choice of 1k gold or the server would find out. He pleaded with me before giving me the money then i proceeded to leak to people that she was a he.

I also do something similar to ransack a guilds bank before transferring off and changing my name. not been caught yet :)

EvE Online

I noob bait in newbie zones.. and ransom people sometimes then pod them after they have payed.

Edit:
Oh.. yeah..
I basically set up spy networks on my servers and extort/black mail people.

Khounur fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 17, 2009

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
My best griefing story was definately when someone griefed ME, I'm afraid.

I was playing City of Heroes a while back... they had just released either Issue 1 or 2, and it had added a new low level zone called the Hollows. One of the new features was that during certain missions, there would be ice structures inside the buildings. One of them was pretty much a half-pipe, complete with slippery surfaces.

So, we clear the first floor, spend a few minutes playing Tony Hawk on the half pipe, and then move on to the next floor. But halfway through the next fight, one of the characters (named Sede) goes back downstairs to play on the halfpipe.

And refuses to come back up.

It was a long, kind of boring mission, and this bastard was just leaching off of us! And every time I told him to get his rear end upstairs to help fight the maurauding hordes of gangsters, he'd just claim that he was fighting them, there were dozens of them there, he was about to die, why the hell wern't we helping him. Then he'd type out, "Wheeeeeeee!"

I can't really express how angry this made me. I tried reason. I tried anger. I tried calling Sede all manner of hurtful words. I went down to watch him skate back and forth, pointing out that there were CLEARLY no enemies there. ("Why can't you see them? Are you lagging?" "ARAGALKJFSD:LK I AM NOT LAGGING ASLD:KAJSLD:") I threatened to learn how to hack, simply so I'd be able to track down his IP address, go to his house, and force him to spend hours, no, DAYS power leveling MY character, and see how he liked it. Through it all, he just kept sliding about on the ice causeways, apparently having a blast and talking about how he was about to die because the rest of us wouldn't help him.

The rest of the group thought this was pretty much the funniest thing they'd seen all week, so Sede got to stay in the group for the rest of the mission, and for several more, a few of which he actually helped a little with. As for me, I think I didn't talk to him for weeks. Got over it eventually, though.

Still, how angry I got at a dude just kickin' back and having fun has guided my own griefing to this day. There's no game-ruining shenanigans that aren't made more painful by having a wonderful time doing them, all the while denying flatly, against all evidence, that you're doing it. A flashbang to your own team is much more effective if you deny doing it, even as you're priming another. It's the cognitive dissonance, or something.

Khounur posted:

:words:

Wow, great story dude. I really liked the part where you--oh wait, you didn't tell us what you did, or what they did, or much of anything.

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.
I'm not sure which is more strange, Mystic Mongol admitting to a sputtering saliva-drenched rage over City of Heroes, or the fact that Khounur speak the English as are a fifth language of.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Drox posted:

Hahahah. That was great. I added the ESG tag and it was obvious he was complaining to the admins. They slapped me around a little and then started private messaging me. Where are these forums?

http://www.sonsofbedlam.com/board/index.php

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Khounur posted:

I have no real life and pretend to make friends on the internet and betray them. Also I can't tell a good story.
Fixed that for ya, slugger..

Do you have any idea how many hours and days of playtime it would take to infiltrate a high level guild in WoW? Sounds more like dude's got a personality disorder than mad "spymastering" skills. :rolleyes:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

CaptainStag posted:

I'm not sure which is more strange, Mystic Mongol admitting to a sputtering saliva-drenched rage over City of Heroes,

I... I have to let the healing begin!

and i starve
Jan 24, 2005
you guys still hitting up w-hat?

I have a bit of experiance with SL and play for shits and giggles with some friends (I usually voice troll people).

I got some awesome toys too like a nerf gun that fires pink balls that scream LEEROY JENKENS and knocks the person around till they log out.

Crummers
Dec 30, 2008
I remember there was a bug in UO when AoS first came out that allowed you to loot a transformed Necromancer anywhere, even in Trammel.

I abused the gently caress out of this bug at the time. Even though with insurance you rarely got anything good. But making newbies go apeshit in Haven was always fun. then I did the meanest thing I ever did on Ultima Online. During AoS There was this dungeon added called Doom where people killed lovely bosses in the hopes of getting an ugly neon weapon.

So I was in Doom for no real reason watching people try to kill this thing called the "Dark Father" or whatever. When a necromancer gets red lined while transformed into this big blue thing that was a rip off of Goro.

Knowing he is about to die. This necromancer tries and hightails but gets hit with a flame strike and dies right in front of me. Curious, I inspect his body and then I get excited. The guy either didn't insure his gear, or had ran out of gold but whatever the reason this dude was loving loaded. He had a lower regent cost suit that was fully medable and had drat good resists at that time, and even better two of those faggy neon items I was talking about earlier.

One was this ugly bright orange bracelet, and the other was this ugly bright white hat. I quickly looted the guy before anyone else tried and waited.

When the dude returned he was pissed. I mean breaking your caps locking by slamming on it so hard pissed. He asked me what happened to his items and I say that I am relieving him of them.

I tell him that I am a holy paladin and that i have relinquished his foul necromantic corpse of his items, and while this enrages him and causes him to call me a "RPEE FEG" at this point I tell him to meet me at Britain bank or some other city, and if he stops his foul necromancy I will return his items.

Before meeting him I put on his gear, and then I walk to a trash can that instantly deletes any item put into it while spouting random phrases. The guy sees me near the Trash can and demands I return his items before he reports me to the GM's.

I tell him I don't respond to blackmail, and since he is not gonna drop the foul art of necromancy I am gonna "purify" his items. I then, one piece at a time, take off one piece of his gear and drop a piece of it into the trash barrel while spamming "BY FIRE BE CLEANSED!".

He begins calling me all sorts of names (If you've ever griefed someone you know all the poorly misspelled words for a male homosexual by now.) and I could just imagine him IRL banging his keyboard on his desk in a rage.

I then recalled to my house and logged off. And as far as I know no GM action was ever taken on my account. Though now that I think about it, I quit playing UO on public servers about a month later anyway.

Whoa. Sorry about the wall of text.

TL;DR: I used a bug to loot a guy and then destroyed his stuff in front of him.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Meeble posted:

Whoa. Sorry about the wall of text.

TL;DR: I used a bug to loot a guy and then destroyed his stuff in front of him.

Don't be. That's already pretty hilarious; adding an RP justification is always the icing on the cake, and allows you to get away with some pretty crazy stuff without retribution. Which kinda segues into my SL story.

Anyway, Second Life. loving Second Life. I did it a couple years ago, just hosed around with it a bit and goofed off looking at cool builds and sailboats and stuff. And normally, I never grief. But something about SL is just so offensive to humanity that it is impossible not to. SL is truly an internet cesspool. SL is one of the few things that ever comes up in polite discussion that makes me embarrassed about the internet.

I've griefed Goreans and furries, both of whom are incredibly hosed up and there are probably some stories in here or other places about them. But once I and a buddy were being bothered by some irritating goth vampire internet girls, and found out that their home base and headquarters for all things goth was a sim (area) called Transylvania. Detailed, but just your cliched dark gothic crap with gargoyles and filled with men roleplaying vampire girls. It also is completely dark and overcast, with no sun.

It was a no-build sim, meaning you can't spawn objects in there, to prevent griefing. However, you can build outside of it, attach the object to your body, and then detach it anywhere you please. We made an enormous sphere, painted it a bright yellow, and made it glow the same color as brightly as possible, and then added some translucent rays radiating out of it. Attached it to a hand, dressed up in homemade ninja outfits, and went back in. Managed to sneak around despite having an enormous glowing object attached to my body, hid behind a building, and waited for some vampire nerds to come by.

A gaggle of vampires stood transfixed as Transylvania was then blessed with what was, I dare say, the most beautiful sunrise Second Life had ever seen. It took almost an hour for it to get removed, but since it was still daytime I helped them out and put it back. Repeatedly.

Tl;dr:: Found a gothic sim full of annoying vampire people. Raised an enormous sun over it so they could finally enjoy its pleasant radiance. :sun:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mystic Mongol posted:

Then he'd type out, "Wheeeeeeee!"

This is one of the funniest loving things to have ever come out of City of Foozles.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I want to grief in a lot of games and think it's hilarious, but I either lack the patience(MMOs) or the general skill at the game(most FPSs) to set up more elaborate stunts. Is there anything mildly amusing that I could do, or am I poo poo out of luck?

edit: Also, does anyone have a link to that ancient CS griefing video where they hacked in helicopters from HL1 and set it to Ride of the Valkyries? I know that it's in this thread, but I don't feel like sifting through 60 pages. Thank you very much to anyone who has this.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

icantfindaname posted:

I want to grief in a lot of games and think it's hilarious, but I either lack the patience(MMOs) or the general skill at the game(most FPSs) to set up more elaborate stunts. Is there anything mildly amusing that I could do, or am I poo poo out of luck?

There's always pretending to be new at a game or otherwise completely inept for raging people. If there's a global chat asking all the stupidest questions like, "How do I attack?" and "Where's the materia?". Make sure to append numerous smilies, exclamation points, and question marks if at all possible.

• Locked thread