Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I need a new chain for my 04 F4i, where's a good place to buy that online? I already have the $100 chain breaker/riviter installer tool

I just want a good stock 525 chain. Do i really need to replace the sprockets too? They seem to be in good condition but they do have 28k miles on them.

O-ring? X-ring? what should I get? I dont need anythign flashy just something decent that will last a while and not cost too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
edit: nm

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 24, 2009

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Its ratty old 2 At-1 yamaha 2 stroke time!

The Fueltank has been sandblasted ( I didnt do it...) and is all nice and rust free inside. Hence its got sand in it!

Besides sticking it under the tap with the Petcock remoed and hoping nature takes its course, Is there any better way to remove the sand?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

dietcokefiend posted:

:cry: New tires on the bike and now the clutch starts slipping, figures.

Looking at Dennis Kirk I have 3 clutch options

Is there no clutch adjustment on your bike? I can adjust my clutch at like three different spots on mine... and I can easily make my clutch slip by fiddling with them.

Check the adjustment at the cable on the lever, where the cable meets the hardware on the engine casing, and then there's a separate adjustment I can make there as well.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
My roommate dropped my bike moving it around the driveway. Luckily the mirror hit some soft earth and was the only thing damaged.

Anyway now he owes me some new mirrors. Are bar end mirrors considered more or less safe than regular mirrors?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

IAMKOREA posted:

My roommate dropped my bike moving it around the driveway. Luckily the mirror hit some soft earth and was the only thing damaged.

He should know better than touching another mans bike. Or where you in the way?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Yeah I was in the way, really it was just bad luck.

IAMKOREA fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 20, 2009

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Mmm first bike runs fine for me at the end of summer, but the battery craps out. Buy a new one, had dad run fuel stabilizer through it(also low speed dump it) and set that baby away for winter. Break it out and it seems as though the cylinders aren't making enough compression to draw fuel from the tank. Also got gas all over the fuel tank which was repainted by previous over and immediately stripped away the paint.

Spring break all I wanted was to ride my bike now I get to go back to school mad. Say it comes down to messing with the internals of the engine, my dad owns an auto shop and I'm kinda handy, do I risk trying to fix this compression myself? I figure I'd throw in a question.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
I am having headlight issues with my EX250.

I've made it very much not stock by removing the upper and lower plastics, headlight, speedo, mirrors, etc. I replaced the headlight with a 7" bucket I found for relatively cheap on the internets ($60?). It looks something like this now. The headlight seemingly plugs in just like the stock one did, so I didn't mess with the wiring harness at all for that.

With the engine not running (after its been started once and the power hasn't been turned off) it works great.
With the engine running, it flickers (goes dimmer and then returns to normal brightness) with change in RPM.
If I remove the headlight from the bucket and hold it while the engine is running, it does not flicker.

When it flickers, the high beam indicator light comes on, seemingly opposite the headlight (dimmer headlight -> brighter high beam indicator).

I seem to get pretty steady voltage (14V) from another point on the wiring harness.

Am I dealing with a loose/crappy wire in the wiring harness leading to the headlight? Is vibration doing something screwy to the bulb? I don't think its a charging system issue because of how it stops happening when I remove the lens assembly from the bucket.

Any thoughts on what I can look for to fix this? :iiam:

sklnd fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 20, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kaptainballistik posted:

Its ratty old 2 At-1 yamaha 2 stroke time!

The Fueltank has been sandblasted ( I didnt do it...) and is all nice and rust free inside. Hence its got sand in it!

Besides sticking it under the tap with the Petcock remoed and hoping nature takes its course, Is there any better way to remove the sand?

Wow, really? Blasting the inside of a tank is like the worst thing you can do.

I guess now that its done, just try to flush it out as best you can. You have an excellent case for running an inline filter now.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

fnkels posted:

I had some trouble getting my bike into first from neutral today. Usually when I'm at a light for a while, I'll shift to neutral and when its time to go, go back to 1st.

A couple of times I stomped on the shifter and eventually it would go to first, but it wouldn't be easy like normal. What would this usually mean, and what kind of maintenance am I looking at?

too much oil.

seriously, look it up.

Do you have a sight glass or a dip stick? If you have a sight glass, stand the bike up straight(maybe with the help of a friend) and see if the oil is at the line or above it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

dietcokefiend posted:

I have 2 adjustment points, one at the lever and another at the clutch cover. The cable is stack when not used. I have the recommended 1cm of play at the handle and some wiggle at the clutch cover.

What sort of oil do you have in it?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Would these be some good, cheap bar-end mirrors? I actually like the range of view on the stock CB750 lollipops, but I'd like a lower profile:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/bookings/trvl_gear/item/cateye_mtb_bar_end_mirror.htm

Another option is the third eye... you can tell I'm going super cheap by going with bicycle mirrors over motorcycle ones. $150 for a pair of mirrors? No thanks.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
To conclude my headlight dimming saga, I swapped the bulb from the stock headlight into the new one, and the dimming seems to have gone away. :raise:

I'll be testing this more throughly tomorrow.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

God-damned Pilates posted:

Would these be some good, cheap bar-end mirrors? I actually like the range of view on the stock CB750 lollipops, but I'd like a lower profile:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/bookings/trvl_gear/item/cateye_mtb_bar_end_mirror.htm

Another option is the third eye... you can tell I'm going super cheap by going with bicycle mirrors over motorcycle ones. $150 for a pair of mirrors? No thanks.

http://www.d2moto.com/Items/m040-bl...irrors (Street) Here's a set for $30 that I've been considering giving a try.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

dietcokefiend posted:

can the rotor be removed and doused with brake cleaner to make good again?

Yes. Also, don't get that poo poo on your paint (or skin). :cry:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dietcokefiend posted:

:cry: New tires on the bike and now the clutch starts slipping, figures.

Looking at Dennis Kirk I have 3 clutch options

EBC SRC Race/Sport Kevlar Clutch Kit

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=&productId=p381975&leafCatId=&mmyId=2532

Vesrah Clutch Discs

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=&productId=p38653&leafCatId=&mmyId=2532

EBC Standard CK Clutch Kit

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=&productId=p381853&leafCatId=&mmyId=2532

Which one would I go for? They are all in the same price range, with the EBC kevlar one being about 30 bucks more. Haynes manual makes the job look simpler than anything, so not that horrible of a thing.

Get the cheapest one, it'll be fine. EBC and Vesrah are both good companies.

That is, if it's not a problem with the adjustment (which it doesn't sound like from your description).

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

Phat_Albert posted:

Wow, really? Blasting the inside of a tank is like the worst thing you can do.

I guess now that its done, just try to flush it out as best you can. You have an excellent case for running an inline filter now.

One fuel filter off Dad's RX7, Catching crud like a champion! ( Video tonite...) Bit of a pain riding a bike with Gel Cell on your lap. ( The wiring has been tried by every man and his dog...)

So whats the target idle speed for a 71 model Yamaha 125? ( Carby probably needs a better clean and a soak in carby cleaner overnight, But its Idling. Idling high, But Idling!)

EDIT: While im on batteries...Is a Gel cell better to get than a conventional Lead acid?

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 23, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

So I went to go get my bike ready for spring today and encountered a host of :wtf: problems. Bike in question is a 1982 Honda CM250C.

First off: I replaced the starter motor (which was bad) with a new one. Now, when I press the starter button, it sounds like the starter motor is turning the chain, which is an improvement, but it doesn't do anything. It sounds almost like a saw, as if the chain is not connected to anything.

Second: My choke lever is no longer able to get pulled all the way up - it gets stuck about halfway and fails to open the choke. I connected it properly - I think - and it just doesn't pull the choke open.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dietcokefiend posted:

The problem ended up kinda being adjustment. The clutch cable end slipped out of the holder and jammed against the holder making it super tight and partially depressed. Slipping it back in and tightening it a bit should hopefully stop it from doing that again.

Even better.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
At the dealerships, when I go to buy parts, they look at cross sections of motorcycles with each piece of the part labeled. How would I access something like this on my home computer?

Edit: NVM, i googled it and found a website.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 23, 2009

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
So, the part I need to replace is listed here: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/cycleparts/Kawasaki_OEM/KawasakiMC.asp?Type=13&A=194&B=45

39067 COOLER, OIL

The problem is it's almost $370. What happened is there is a cavity in the side that leaks coolant, and spills it all over. It apparently rusted from being left outside for over a year before being purchased by my friend. Is it possible to just weld the cavity shut? It's a small hole.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

So, the part I need to replace is listed here: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/cycleparts/Kawasaki_OEM/KawasakiMC.asp?Type=13&A=194&B=45

39067 COOLER, OIL

The problem is it's almost $370. What happened is there is a cavity in the side that leaks coolant, and spills it all over. It apparently rusted from being left outside for over a year before being purchased by my friend. Is it possible to just weld the cavity shut? It's a small hole.

Buy a used one on ebay for 1/10th the price?

Z3n fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 23, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Yes, some factory springs are progressively wound.

Dietcokefiend. It's WELL PAST time you made a thread for your bike. You've got two threads worth of questions in this one. ;-)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Nerobro posted:

Dietcokefiend. It's WELL PAST time you made a thread for your bike. You've got two threads worth of questions in this one. ;-)

I was going to say this. It sounds like you're having a hell of a time with the poor thing :(

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

dietcokefiend posted:

Taking apart my forks now and noticed something interesting. I current have progressive springs installed. Did Kawasaki ever put these in from the factory? I am like the 3rd or 4th owner of the bike so no idea what has gone on over the years.

Too bad you tore apart your forks just for fork seals. I would have bet you could have just cleaned the seals.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 24, 2009

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Does anyone know anything about the late seventies Yamaha XS1100s?

The father-in-law is apparently trying to one up me now that I've got my KZ650 in order and is looking to replace his Goldwing with a 1978 XS1100. The specs look good but I'm not sure on reliability, handling, etc.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I remember reading a review, and it was a pig of a bike. It's a 4 cylinder version of the XS750, and the conversion didn't go well.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I guess I'll be more specific so people can help more.

My original starter on my '82 CM250C didn't work at all. I would press the starter button, and the headlight would dim, the solenoid would click, and the starter motor would not respond. I recently replaced the starter motor with a new one by opening te crankcase cover, popping out the old motor, and putting in the new one, and then connecting the original sprocket and chain to that.

Now, when I start the bike, the starter motor sounds like it's turning the chain, or turning something quite quickly, but it fails to turn the engine. So, it's an improvement over not doing anything, but obviously still not good. What should I look for? After my own preliminary research people have said it could be the starter clutch or the flywheel causing it. I have no idea what else it could be.

At this point I'd just prefer a kickstart on the drat thing.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Does it start when bump started? If it does then you've narrowed it down to the starter. If it doesn't then there's more likely something else wrong in the engine.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah it bump starts just fine. That's how I rode it through November, and boy did I look funny running a bike around in parking lots of random places.

I also made sure it wasn't the battery by giving the bike a jump from my car while trying to start it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I guess I'll be more specific so people can help more.

My original starter on my '82 CM250C didn't work at all. I would press the starter button, and the headlight would dim, the solenoid would click, and the starter motor would not respond. I recently replaced the starter motor with a new one by opening te crankcase cover, popping out the old motor, and putting in the new one, and then connecting the original sprocket and chain to that.

Now, when I start the bike, the starter motor sounds like it's turning the chain, or turning something quite quickly, but it fails to turn the engine. So, it's an improvement over not doing anything, but obviously still not good. What should I look for? After my own preliminary research people have said it could be the starter clutch or the flywheel causing it. I have no idea what else it could be.

At this point I'd just prefer a kickstart on the drat thing.

Sounds like the starter clutch could be toast, or it could not be meshing correctly with the gear(s) on the crank. If you rotate the engine by hand, does the chain and sprocket that goes to the engine move?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
start a new frakking thread dietcokefiend AUGH