Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
My 99 has been running really rough lately, so I opened up the throttle and swabbed my finger in there and it came out black. There was an unsettling amount of gunk on my finger and that was just from the other side of the valve, I don't even want to know what's inside the manifold

Is this something that I could do easily on my own? I really don't want to take the manifold apart completely if I don't want to, I'm a bit of a novice. How easy is it to clean, and if it sucks what do mechanics usually charge to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.
You could try spraying some SeaFoam Deep Creep all up in there and letting it sit for a while.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Got my car back running again last night at 3am after a week and a half. Its just pissing coolant now so I get to fix that when I get home, I'm 99% sure its coming from the water pump outlet gasket and the rear lower radiator hose so I'm replacing the gasket when I get home and gonna see if i can get that hose to work.

Here's a time lapse video from when we pulled the short block out last thursday forgot to make one last night when we put it back together.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

GoblinBomb posted:

You could try spraying some SeaFoam Deep Creep all up in there and letting it sit for a while.

Okay, I've heard good stuff about that actually. How can I remove the most amount of goo this way? Should I maybe get a toothbrush or something like that?

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

BusinessWallet posted:

My 99 has been running really rough lately, so I opened up the throttle and swabbed my finger in there and it came out black. There was an unsettling amount of gunk on my finger and that was just from the other side of the valve, I don't even want to know what's inside the manifold

Is this something that I could do easily on my own? I really don't want to take the manifold apart completely if I don't want to, I'm a bit of a novice. How easy is it to clean, and if it sucks what do mechanics usually charge to do it?

Just Do it yourself. I did it the other day on my '00 and it was a piece of cake. If you can turn a wrench and a wipe with a rag you can do it. You'll be amazed the amount of crap that you'll find in there too. Seriously, I can't express how drat easy this is. It takes about an hour max and most of that is remembering where the parts go, 10 minutes to put back together. Be careful when taking the top of the manifold off I bent the poo poo out of the metal gasket and had to buy a new one.

GoblinBomb posted:

There are some pretty tiny holes that you can't really get to without using a q-tip or something. Plus, I wouldn't want any more of that crap in my engine than I needed. There was a thick layer of crud in mine.

AkrisD fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 20, 2009

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
You're probably right, the Deep Creep would loosen it up just enough that it would all go into the combustion chambers.

Question: If I can get a guy to sell me his Jackson Racing header and Flyin' Miata n/a exhaust for pretty cheap is it worth it? I know n/a is a worthless route, but my stock exhaust is very buzzy and beat up (lots of rash along the bottom, a couple small farty holes). I could even re-use the header if I end up supercharging the engine.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
What's a used stock known-good radiator worth? I've got one I need to unload. Like $50 tops?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Car is fully up and running again, seems faster than before too since the timing is dead on now. Just have a cracked exhaust manifold to deal with sometime now.

Hog Obituary posted:

What's a used stock known-good radiator worth? I've got one I need to unload. Like $50 tops?

If you're lucky, I wouldn't buy a used Miata radiator unless it was a all metal one or the end tanks were still black.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Hog Obituary posted:

Unless the plastic is black and not green then maybe $50. Otherwise it could crack without any warning like mine did.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Ebay Timing Belt/Water Pump Kit

Would you trust something like this? It's much cheaper than the other timing belt kits with pulleys I've seen, almost frighteningly so, and it includes a waterpump kit as well.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

GoblinBomb posted:

Would you trust something like this? It's much cheaper than the other timing belt kits with pulleys I've seen, almost frighteningly so, and it includes a waterpump kit as well.

A lot of people on miata.net have had good luck with those. My friend is installing one himself next week. If I had known about it when I did mine I probably would have bought that and saved like 100 bucks.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

GoblinBomb posted:

I still have one that I haven't installed yet. Water pump is GMB so it's good quality, everything else appears to be in good condition, whatever that's worth. Oh, also

destructo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 20, 2009

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I'm looking for a mk1 MX-5, and found this one locally. It looks like a good deal, but is there anything I should look out for (apart from the list of stuff from Maiata.net)?

Mazda MX5 1.8 S-Special, mohair hood, glass rear screen & lots of extras

The guy does a pretty good description, you have to give him that

quote:

This really nice and rather rare 1994 Mazda MX5 1.8 S-Special limited edition in Brilliant Black with black cloth interior, has covered 101000 miles and has only had 2 previous owners. The S Special Edition model was introduced in 1993 and features lots of factory fitted special parts as standard, making it a real driver's car: these include a yellow engine strut brace, a Torsen Limited Slip Differential and a Bilstein suspension set up inc thicker anti-roll bars and a rear under-body brace. Other standard S Special features are stainless steel sill tread plates and door speaker surrounds, electric windows, power steering and unusually, this car also has electrically adjustable mirrors. Being a 1.8, it has bigger brake discs and revised suspension settings as compared to the standard 1.6. This all makes a huge difference as it handles noticeably better than the standard car and the 130bhp engine means it's a fair bit quicker too.

So quite a nice spec so far: however this car has been subtly uprated further and now has Whiteline front and rear anti roll bars, uprated brake discs and pads all round (all done within last 1000 miles) and it also has a lovely quality mohair hood with a glass heated rear screen, fitted by HotHoods at £480. It has a Cat 1 Cobra Microwave alarm which can be used even with the top down as well as a Laserline immobiliser.
The five spoke lightweight alloy wheels are fitted with 195/50/15 Silverstone Sports all in good condition.

Inside, it has a wonderful Nardi 3 spoke leather rimmed steering wheel, its original S-Special carpet overmats, lovely clean seats and dashboard with everything working as it should. The bodywork is in nice condition with the odd stonechip but no major damage. Underneath (where MX5s can get really nasty), there is no damage or rust – the sills, floorpans etc are all solid
It has a Red Power stereo system that plays CDs, MP3s, MP4s, CD-Rs, cooks your dinner etc (actually that last bit might not be true but it certainly seems to be a nice piece of kit); the door speakers have been uprated and it has the optional extra headrest speakers so you can listen to music even with the top down.
Its recently had new driveshafts and cv joints, a brand new exhaust system (1500 miles ago) and it had a new cambelt and tensioners, idler gear, water pump etc just 10000 miles ago (backed up by a receipt). In fact there are a decent pile of receipts including various service receipts and old MOTs.

Should go without saying that it drives superbly and feels like its done 20000 miles rather than 100k. The engine is strong, quiet and pulls nicely in all gears and the gearbox and clutch have a lovely weight to them. Brakes are really strong. Handling is just superb – lots of grip and beautiful steering feel.

This car is MOT'd til November '09, taxed til end of May, HPI checked to confirm no accident damage etc and it will have a comprehensive pre delivery inspection and service. It's a lovely car and I'm happy to answer any questions or just to chat about MX5s – just phone or email me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
edit: maybe it is different in Britain.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jesus, that's barely over $3k US? That would be gone yesterday in most of the country here.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
You'd be a fool to pass that one over, it looks absolutely fantastic.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Just called, I'm going to look at it tomorrow afternoon. He's got someone else coming in first thing in the morning, though, so it might be gone by then. I hope it isn't gone and drives as good as it looks!

edit: apparently this guy buys/imports/sells MX5s as a side job - he's got a pretty interesting other option that I'll look at tomorrow

quote:

Then I have a 1991 Mazda MX5 1.6 UK car. Its a Limited Edition Anniversary model, introduced to celebrate the first year of sales of the MX5 in the UK and as such, was built in very limited numbers (only 250) and to a very high specification. Of the 250 built, 20 were sent abroad: each car was individually numbered, with a brass plaque fixed to the dashboard showing its build no.

Its finished in British Racing Green with tan leather interior and tan carpets, electric windows, central locking, remote alarm, power steering, unique 15" multi-spoke alloys, wood rimmed steering wheel and gearknob, polished stainless steel treadplates and a clock. This one is in lovely original condition and has a full mostly Mazda service history; it still has its original jack, spare wheel, a massive collection of bills and receipts and its about to have a new hood fitted. Its covered just over 105000 miles but it drives as though its covered 30000 - its nice and tight with no rattles or untoward noises. Engine is smooth and strong with excellent oil pressure. Its taxed and is MOT'd til November and is HPI clear. Price will be £1995.

That'll make it difficult to choose if they're both there :(

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

I saw this Miata in NJ. It sounded like it had straight pipes, and it only had one fender left.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

loving 18 year old Mazda plastic. Armrest was fine when i got the car 20k ago, then it got one crack some months back and this is how bad it is now. It obviously does not like me resting my elbow on it.

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

wzm posted:

I saw this Miata in NJ. It sounded like it had straight pipes, and it only had one fender left.

That thing's awesome, and I hope you took more pictures.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Anyone know a good mechanic in DC? The wife's miata failed its inspection thanks to a broken O2 sensor (might have been the EGR too if that's a separate one) and I think replacing them is beyond my limited skill- and tool-base.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dr JonboyG posted:

Anyone know a good mechanic in DC? The wife's miata failed its inspection thanks to a broken O2 sensor (might have been the EGR too if that's a separate one) and I think replacing them is beyond my limited skill- and tool-base.

Can't help you on the mechanic recommendation, but tool wise if you have a ratchet and some means of lifting the car safely, the O2 sensor should be no more than a single wiring connection and getting the old one out / putting the new one in. You can rent O2 sensor sockets at Autozone, they're just large sockets with a slit down the side for the wiring. I've never done one on a Miata so I don't know if you even need to bother lifting the car or not.

EGR shouldn't need any special tools, but the actual EGR valve should be on the top of the engine and fairly simple to replace.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can't help you on the mechanic recommendation, but tool wise if you have a ratchet and some means of lifting the car safely, the O2 sensor should be no more than a single wiring connection and getting the old one out / putting the new one in. You can rent O2 sensor sockets at Autozone, they're just large sockets with a slit down the side for the wiring. I've never done one on a Miata so I don't know if you even need to bother lifting the car or not.

EGR shouldn't need any special tools, but the actual EGR valve should be on the top of the engine and fairly simple to replace.

Yeah, the O2 sensor is accessible from the driver's side front wheel well, so it's probably easiest to lift the car and take the tire off.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
I'm actually going to change my own O2 sensor as soon as the car cools down, I will trip report but it should be a snap.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
If I buy a Craigslist Miata with 100k miles, I can assume the timing belt has been done at some point, right? What is the worst case scenario if I buy one that seems to be in good mechanical shape, but then the belt goes while I'm driving it? These are non-interference type engines, if I recall correctly.

I know the timing belt's due again at 120k, just trying to keep service at easy to remember intervals.

I've read a lot about the CAS O ring problems, are they still valid with NBs or did Mazda fix it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's certainly possible the timing belt hasn't been changed at 100k because there's really no reason to do it at 60k other than "Mazda says so". You're correct, it is a non-interference engine (does this apply to later NBs with the variable valve timing and higher compression?) and as such the worst case scenario is that the belt snaps and you get a tow to a shop to fix it.

I just did mine at 100k and I have no intentions of touching the timing belt again until 200k, assuming I haven't sold the car at that point. Of course, if you go with this maintenance schedule, don't do what I tried to do and cheap out with a belt only - at minimum, do the belt, idler, tensioner, and water pump. I held off on the cam and crank seals personally.

The NB uses a cam sensor on the front of the valvecover instead of the back, and it doesn't have any sealing problems that I've experienced.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004

GoblinBomb posted:

I'm actually going to change my own O2 sensor as soon as the car cools down, I will trip report but it should be a snap.

It was! I had to hit the old sensor with a bit of penetrating oil because it wouldn't move, so it'll probably smoke up a tiny bit, but otherwise very easy. I bought the Bosch 11027 universal one-wire sensor, and the crimp connector was pretty crappy, so I cut it off and soldered and heat-shrink-tubed it.

Edit: I did this all from above, no lifting or wheel removal necessary.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I just got my 95 emissions tested today (passed no problem at all, hurrah). But when I was on the dyno, something tripped my ABS light on the dash. The same thing happened two years ago when I got emissions tested. These are the only two times it's ever happened in the 2.5 years I've owned the car, so I'm really not worried about it.

But now I've been trying to come up with why that light gets tripped on a dyno. The best I can come up with is it having something to do with the front and back wheels moving at very different speeds, but it's just a guess. Anyone here know a bit more definitively?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Guinness posted:

I just got my 95 emissions tested today (passed no problem at all, hurrah). But when I was on the dyno, something tripped my ABS light on the dash. The same thing happened two years ago when I got emissions tested. These are the only two times it's ever happened in the 2.5 years I've owned the car, so I'm really not worried about it.

But now I've been trying to come up with why that light gets tripped on a dyno. The best I can come up with is it having something to do with the front and back wheels moving at very different speeds, but it's just a guess. Anyone here know a bit more definitively?

I'm pretty sure that's the exact reason. There are speed sensors on all the wheels, and ABS only reacts when the wheel speeds are far enough apart that the ABS computer decides 'something ain't right, i better act" ... and presumably the dyno operator stepped on the brake at some point.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

GoblinBomb posted:

It was! I had to hit the old sensor with a bit of penetrating oil because it wouldn't move, so it'll probably smoke up a tiny bit, but otherwise very easy. I bought the Bosch 11027 universal one-wire sensor, and the crimp connector was pretty crappy, so I cut it off and soldered and heat-shrink-tubed it.

Edit: I did this all from above, no lifting or wheel removal necessary.

A ratchet I have, a soldering iron I might have, a heat shrink tuber I have no idea what that even is (other than something that uses heat to shrink a tube round something I guess). No way of lifting up the car though. I'll have a look and see if my Haynes manual is helpful, but I don't want to get halfway through and find I've rendered the car immobile and end up having to pay 3x what it might have cost in the first place if I got someone who knew what they were doing.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hog Obituary posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the exact reason. There are speed sensors on all the wheels, and ABS only reacts when the wheel speeds are far enough apart that the ABS computer decides 'something ain't right, i better act" ... and presumably the dyno operator stepped on the brake at some point.

I was the one behind the driver seat, and I never touched the brake pedal until the end. It's not that the ABS kicked in, but the light lit up and stayed lit as though it was like "hey I don't like something".

Unless you mean there's a brake on the dyno itself?

But regardless, it still make sense that the ABS sensors seeing the rear wheels moving at the equivalent of 25-30 mph and the fronts at 0 could cause it to get confused.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dr JonboyG posted:

a heat shrink tuber I have no idea what that even is (other than something that uses heat to shrink a tube round something I guess)

Heat shrink is a plastic that comes in preformed tubes. You put it around one of the wires you're working with before you solder them, then solder the joint. Then you slide the heat shrink down to the joint and use heat (like a heat gun or a match) to shrink the tube, so it forms a watertight seal around the joint.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Yeah, I got a Harbor Freight heat gun for 10.99, you could probably use a hair dryer, or as IOC said, a match. The Bosch universal sensor comes with a piece of heat shrink.

Dr JonboyG posted:

I'll have a look and see if my Haynes manual is helpful, but I don't want to get halfway through and find I've rendered the car immobile and end up having to pay 3x what it might have cost in the first place if I got someone who knew what they were doing.

It was very very easy. It would be even easier with an OE-type sensor, since they have the proper connector, which eliminates the need for any crimping, soldering, or heat-gunning. But the OE-type sensor was 5 times as expensive.

On my 90 I could reach everything without raising the car. What year is yours? I'd give you the part numbers, but if it's not a 90-93 they'll be useless. And the sensors for 94-on are significantly more expensive.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Guinness posted:

I was the one behind the driver seat, and I never touched the brake pedal until the end. It's not that the ABS kicked in, but the light lit up and stayed lit as though it was like "hey I don't like something".

But regardless, it still make sense that the ABS sensors seeing the rear wheels moving at the equivalent of 25-30 mph and the fronts at 0 could cause it to get confused.

Presumably the ECU would see it as a sensor failure and throw the warning light. Pull your codes and find out.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Guinness posted:

No, I meant the break pedal in the car. Truth be told, I don't know exactly what situations cause the ABS light to actually turn on, so at this point your guess is as good as mine. It might be that it thinks there's a fault in one of the sensors since the dyno confuses it, but I'm writing an article for Modern Jackass here.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

fatman1683 posted:

Presumably the ECU would see it as a sensor failure and throw the warning light. Pull your codes and find out.

There's no code to pull. Restarting the car clears it, and I don't have a dyno to reproduce it. :)

I'm not concerned about it at all, just curious is all. Oh well, guess it'll remain somewhat of a mystery.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Guinness posted:

There's no code to pull. Restarting the car clears it, and I don't have a dyno to reproduce it. :)

I'm not concerned about it at all, just curious is all. Oh well, guess it'll remain somewhat of a mystery.

You don't need a dyno. Put the rear end on jackstands and chock the front wheels.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

GoblinBomb posted:

Yeah, I got a Harbor Freight heat gun for 10.99, you could probably use a hair dryer, or as IOC said, a match. The Bosch universal sensor comes with a piece of heat shrink.

It was very very easy. It would be even easier with an OE-type sensor, since they have the proper connector, which eliminates the need for any crimping, soldering, or heat-gunning. But the OE-type sensor was 5 times as expensive.

On my 90 I could reach everything without raising the car. What year is yours? I'd give you the part numbers, but if it's not a 90-93 they'll be useless. And the sensors for 94-on are significantly more expensive.

1996 :(

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Dr JonboyG posted:

1996 :(

I got my bosch o2 sensor off ebay, one of the crimping ones. I've got a 1.6 so it was only like 18 bucks. My friend has a 1.8, its like 75 bucks for his car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
What size is the little twisty bolt thing that holds the jack down in the trunk? Mine got all bent up after following stupid M.net advice when changing my brakes.

edit: forgot, it's a 2000.

AkrisD fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 25, 2009