Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

icantfindaname posted:

edit: Also, does anyone have a link to that ancient CS griefing video where they hacked in helicopters from HL1 and set it to Ride of the Valkyries? I know that it's in this thread, but I don't feel like sifting through 60 pages. Thank you very much to anyone who has this.

I believe you're looking for this? http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7237451453430573504&ei=BnfASZbuFY3m-AHnkpzQAQ&q=counterstrike+helicopter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
This was not mine, but it was so perfect I had to share. To fill in what is going on, a recent update to EVE Online includes a new mechanic that allows players with the right skills and gear to probe and explore wormholes. But you can only find the holes if you have the correct gear, so this is a prime example of a new griefer tactic:

quote:

So, I was sitting around finding wormholes and I had found a few solid ones in a few different systems, but I didn't really haven anyone around at the time to help me exploit my findings before the wormholes would be gone. What to do, what to do?...

I start chatting up the locals and I offer to be a scout for a player, and then he gets one of his buddies to join in, and then another ten minutes go by and they bring a few corpmates. While all of this chatter is going on in local, it spurs some interest from yet another group of greedy carebears. Now we're looking at a fleet of fourteen ships, including myself. Nobody else has a probe launcher fit.

I keep going on and on about how my character is max skilled with probes and has a super cool maxed out Covert Ops and all sorts of fancy probing implants (which is all true) and pretty soon everyone is on board to go into w-space. So we all stack up at the wormhole and I go in first...

Ooooooo, w-space! Groovy! We hang out for a bit and shoot a few frigs and some cruisers and then I start looking around for another few wormholes. I find another one that leads into a second w-space system. And then it hits me- I'm a pirate, these are carebears, let's see what kind of ISK I can get out of them...

I find a wormhole, jump through it and then announce in fleet that I'm no longer in their local system and that I'll jump back in and give them a bookmark to k-space for the paltry sum of 1.5 BILLION ISK.

Hehe. YARRRR!! :pirate:

After a few minutes of them cussing me and telling me just how horrible a person I am and how much revenge they're going to exact on me, they end up kicking me from the fleet, blocking me and not paying the ransom.

I'm assuming that they all had full sets of implants and fully rigged ships with full T2 fits. Nobody took the time before hand to jumpclone into a clean clone, that's for sure.

Me being in a Covert Ops, I jumped back into their previous system and took a look around. I love not showing up in local. Very Happy I flew back to some bookmarks I made and found a little pile of corpses on scan. Good times! As I recall there were only eight or so corpses, so I don't know if they all self destructed or not, or if some of the corpses disappeared or what, but I know for sure some of them did. The rest are probably trying to hold out for a rescue (fat chance haha).

To the noobs who cut their nose off to spite their face: I look forward to hearing from you, I have some Fed. Navy Antimatter L waiting with your collective names on it. YARRRR!! :pirate:

To everyone else: I hope you're having as much fun with w-space as I am! Cheers.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Yes, that is. Thank you very very much, I've been looking for that for a while.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

This is the best video of all times.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
I haven't laughed so hard in ages, that's great.
Some goons need to set something like this up.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
When the bomb started flying around as the guy was trying to defuse it, I thought it couldn't get any better.

...And then there were forklifts.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Tanith posted:

...And then there were forklifts.

It would have been terrifying to be that last guy who tried to run and hide while being chased.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

That was amazing, don't know how I didn't see it before.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm dumb :P

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 22, 2009

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

HOTDOGS!

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Shortymrbig posted:

Does anybody know what happened to flying amphibians? I used to go there all the time looking threw random mic spams :/

Now I can't seem to find the website.

It's fightingamphibians, and it's still around.

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.
I discovered a fun little thing to do in TF2, though most people probably figured it out. At the start of a round, in setup (works best), stand in front of an engineer whilst he's trying to place a building. He'll keep strafing around trying to find a place to put it, but you just keep up with him. Their reactions are pretty hilarious.

Echoes
Aug 27, 2008

It's just so perfect, one of the best griefing videos ever, would love to do this kind of stuff. It also reminds me of the classic pubmasters video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqkYmVWdxVE) although that's more showing off than griefing.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My favourite Pubmasters video without a doubt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCYyQu6jHo4

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Echoes posted:

It's just so perfect, one of the best griefing videos ever, would love to do this kind of stuff. It also reminds me of the classic pubmasters video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqkYmVWdxVE) although that's more showing off than griefing.

Ha! This thread keeps giving, I was looking for that video and couldn't find it!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Jack the Lad posted:

It's fightingamphibians, and it's still around.

OH doy

poo poo

Now I feel dumber. woooops

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Shumagorath posted:

My favourite Pubmasters video without a doubt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCYyQu6jHo4

Holy gently caress that was perfect.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

I'd forgotten about this one. It's been a while since I've seen it. The music selection really adds to it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

I completely lost it at Magic Carpet Ride.

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick

LLCoolJD posted:

I'd forgotten about this one. It's been a while since I've seen it. The music selection really adds to it.

Yeah, fifteen minutes of really perfect music, and very little repetition of gimmicks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Some bits were a little less accessible to me since I don't know the game, but the helicopters and the magic carpet are magnificent.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

I would watch that minesweeper movie.

And I would have loved to have been on the receiving end of some of those. The helicopters would have been just hilarious.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

bbcisdabomb posted:

And I would have loved to have been on the receiving end of some of those. The helicopters would have been just hilarious.

I know. It'd be impossible to be angry, because it's just too magnificent.

Seafea
Mar 21, 2003

They say it's not what life throws at you, but how you deal with it.
In Warhawk for the PS3, there's a dropship which can carry friendly vehicles. Whether they like it or not. And they can't jump out or drop the vehicle once it's been picked up.

One of the fun things to do is pick up a vehicle with someone in it and (can't remember the name of the map), take them over the mountains, and drop them off on the other side, next to the water. The mountains are too steep to climb either in vehicle or on foot, so there's only one way out: suicide or drowning :laugh:

Someone I saw took this a step further. You can't let go of vehicles in the sky, but you can do it a small distance above the ground. And if you're rocketing towards the water when you drop the vehicle... well then. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVp0lEAgD9c

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Seafea posted:

Someone I saw took this a step further. You can't let go of vehicles in the sky, but you can do it a small distance above the ground. And if you're rocketing towards the water when you drop the vehicle... well then. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVp0lEAgD9c
I laughed harder at that than I had any right to.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Semprini posted:

I laughed harder at that than I had any right to.

the best part is how seriously the guy takes it. also that he's taking the video by pointing his cameraa at the screen is funny, too.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

TimNeilson posted:

the best part is how seriously the guy takes it. also that he's taking the video by pointing his cameraa at the screen is funny, too.

I got you on video you sleazebag :mad:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Seafea posted:

In Warhawk for the PS3, there's a dropship which can carry friendly vehicles. Whether they like it or not. And they can't jump out or drop the vehicle once it's been picked up.

How can any developer today not realize what a massively retarded idea that is? Sometimes games are just asking to be griefed.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Okay, so in the mid 90's there used to be this game called Active Worlds which was essentially the prototype for Second Life. Imagine it as Second Life but even more basic, ugly, no "spend money to buy items" deal, and surprisingly less furries. The entire game was built of course around building poo poo and interacting with people, but the game also had a set-up where suscribers could build permanent items that only admins could delete. If you didn't register you were just a "Tourist" who built items anyone could destroy and were unmarked. This is where the fun began.

One day I visited some guy's "World" which was some Pokemon/Digimon/retarded Anime thing with the Random button and he was really a jerk. There were like 50 people all in some pretend Role Playing Pokemon battle tournament and so I figured "Okay, I guess I could watch" and I did for a little while. The world's owner was playing too and he was shouting over his mic like as if he were actually commanding some creature, and when he finally "lost" he started swearing profusely into his mic and yelling at anyone in sight. A lot of people didn't like him very much, even if he was the owner, and if they said anything they'de be banned outright. I decided though after he called me something like "a greasy cocksnotbite" or some RANDOM CHEESE MONKEY sort of thing to gently caress around with his world.

Since I was a Tourist in a world with about 15 other Tourists, I could build things without people knowing it was me. Now Active Worlds had "eminent domain" where you couldn't build within proximity of a Citizen's land so I had to get creative. I knew the code to make land, an all world encompassing land item generally used to make the ground for any world. A deadly item as it's primarily designed to be the floor for the entire world (which potentially stretches out to infinity). What I did was I copied some guy's item and then floated it miles and miles up into the air above the Eminent Domain limit and changed the item code to the one for "disco floor," a land item that changed colours rapidly like that "seizure" episode of Pokemon in (at that size) millions of squares all of which had to be rendered.

Now, this wouldn't be so bad normally. No one noticed until they looked up and saw the infinite sky of disco. I had to work fast! Right after I finished it I immediately copied it and placed it one pixel down and to the right so that both items meshed together, and in the span of about a minute and a half I had gotten about twenty of these infinity disco floors going at the same time without any interruption.

Remember that this was back in like 1996 when PCs were built by cavemen, fortunately I'd taken precautions by looking down at the floor when I did this but for anyone who looked up at the seizure disco sky. Their PC would come to a careening halt and pretty much just crash at that point because all the intensive disco colours working together just were too much to handle. Since the "floor" extends forever, it meant that no matter where they looked they would see it unless they stared at the actual floor of the world like me.

The results were awesome, confusion settled in for a moment but was replaced by anger as people's PCs started chugging down. The World's owner started furiously trying to delete the objects (anyone could) but was running probably somewhere around 1 to 2 FPS making it impossible. And soon enough, I started seeing the "Player has disconnected" messages for the world. It didn't take long, just two minutes, for this apparently popular Pokemon world to be brought crashing to a halt by disco.

As far as I remember, there's no way to edit your world outside of the world itself. That means in order to free his world of the tyranny of seizure disco sky, he'd have to spend hours logging into the game, going at 2 FPS, deleting one of the twenty skies, crashing, then trying again. The world was locked for a good week, I'd say that was a fun day.

Disco Duck
Jul 30, 2004

by mons noobis

bbcisdabomb posted:

I joined some random CS server back in the day, and the admin had put a boss from quake 2 (I think?) right outside the spawn points. It was interesting at first but you couldn't actually kill it or anything.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Policenaut posted:

Disco sky terror

That was absolutely beautiful.

Q-tank
Jan 29, 2009

Cat Murderer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I completely lost it at Magic Carpet Ride.

The floating bomb chased by the CT was pure win. Oh, and forklifts chasing people up ladders, roflsticks!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kelson
Jan 23, 2005

Q-tank posted:

pure win roflsticks!

What the gently caress? :gb2fark:

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Q-tank posted:

The floating bomb chased by the CT was pure win. Oh, and forklifts chasing people up ladders, roflsticks!
What the hell is this.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Q-tank posted:

Cool post lol

[what in gods name is a roflstick]

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
The best part is that he came back 5 minutes later and edited in the roflsticks part.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Q-tank posted:

Good to see this thread is ADA-compliant.

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant
The griefing in Space Station 13 is virtually limitless in the complexity and the ways you can sabotage things.

Most people prefer to run around using toolboxes to knock each other out and pummel people to death, this is boring. Once you've done it once, its tedious and really is the simplest way to kill someone in a game that supports far more hilarious creative methods.

Anyways, one of my recent favorites has been to create a super heated plasma chamber and heat a room to 16000+ degrees (by this point it will blur your vision and you will pass out from heat even entering the room longer than a few seconds.. even with a fire suit on). Then I make myself a pair of shock gloves, go out and find someone being obnoxious (usually just look for the rear end in a top hat security guard being a nazi or some idiot assistant with a toolbox and blood covered suit). Then I proceed to run up and shock them severely, which incapacitates them, drag them to the nearest locker, weld it shut, then drag said locker back to the super heated room. At this point I push their metal coffin into the super heated room while babbling inane poo poo about baking muffins.

That goes over well most of the time...

Another one which is fun to pull off and inconspicuous enough is to smash out the reinforced glass somewhere in the station that leads to space, preferably in a high traffic area. After which as a janitor you put water loving everywhere in the hallway in front of said windows of doom. Inevitably some moron will run by and slip on the water and give himself brain damage, at which point you just shove his corpse out into space while mumbling about the "goddamn people littering bodies on my space ship".

There are a few specific people I like to gently caress with on random servers simply because of how mad it makes them. Sometimes i'll follow them around then weld the doors shut once they enter maintenance tunnels, or smash out windows in the station and wait till they run by then launch a fire extinguisher at their head as they're running by then watching their unconscious body get sucked into space.

Really, the complexity of the game (though admittedly crude looking at first glance) makes the possibilities of loving with people pretty endless.

Sometimes it can be more simple than that, such as working as the atmospherics tech, locating all gas masks on the station and welding them into a closet that you shoot out the airlock, then releasing N20 into the vent system, or piping plasma into a room and watching everyone inside run around trying to escape after you've welded the doors shut.

Oh space station 13 I do love you so.

There was a HL2 mod some friends and I decided to check out randomly pretty recently called Shotgun Sunrise.

Suffice to say it's pretty rough at this stage in development, kinda boring and unpolished. The basic premise of the mod is cowboys are stuck in a town infested by some sort of mutant clown zombies and they have to drive a truck around to gather various necessities before escaping the town.

The real issue is that the items you need to pick are required in order to get out of the level and the area that you exit the level (there is only one map) is blocked off by a gate. Knowing this, one can come to the conclusion that a level can never end if the supplies are not first obtained. This leads to some easy and yet hilariously effective grief techniques.

Basically, at the start of any round, if you're lucky enough to get in as the driver of the truck, you can hijack it, drive to the exit area of the map and if you aim just right, you can drive the truck up the side of a hill and slide it over the "barrier" that's supposed to block you from the exit area of the stage, doing this renders the truck useless as it is now stuck where no other players can get to it from the outside and therefore can never bring the supplies to the truck which means the truck cant exit the level. Essentially it brings the server to a stand still, the only way to fix it is to reset the level or have all players kill themselves (if all players on the survivor team are dead the map resets...). This wouldnt be a big deal normally as most games have at least a couple dozen servers... not shotgun sunrise.. they have 2.

When we did this to both servers one weekend and idled on the survivor team where nobody could kill us, basically stalemating both servers, suffice to say people got a little upset.

Wow... that's a lot of text, sorry bout' that.

I have more SS13 stories and probably countless other griefing poo poo if anyone is interested.

Zenodice fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 25, 2009

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Zenodice posted:

Wow... that's a lot of text, sorry bout' that.

I have more SS13 stories and probably countless other griefing poo poo if anyone is interested.

Seriously, SS13 stories are awesome. I tried to get into it once, but I just didn't have the desire to learn the interface.

While it's a big wall of text, use some [ b][ /b] tags to bold titles of each different griefing story to break it up a bit and it'll be a lot easier to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackle
Aug 18, 2004
Smelly Heap of Discarded Sheep

Zenodice posted:

Please! This stuff is awesome.

The only game I've really enjoyed griefing was Left 4 Dead, if you can actually call it griefing. My goal is to end a game with my teammates loving me, even though I've been sabotaging them all along the entire way. It started out with accidental friendly fire, running ahead, and failing to rescue teammates, but those are fairly obvious.

One of my favorites is playing with gas and propane. If you throw a gas can at someone who's beeen pounced by a hunter, one of your allies will probably shoot it instead of the hunter, making a beautiful carpet of fire. The added bonus is that hunters do extra damage when they're on fire. During a finale or crescendo, setting a gas can or propane tank near where your team will be camping will almost always result in someone accidentally shooting it. As long as you don't carry your object around a lot, people will almost never realize what happened.

I'll also make sure I'm leading the way when we head towards popular boomer ambush spots. If I'm far enough ahead, I can block my team from shooting the boomer straight away, but they'll still be in range of its vomit. Oops! It's a bonus if I can melee the boomer into the middle of my group, but my teammates usually kill it, it runs away, or I get pounced before I can pull it off.

There's a ton of things you can do to keep people from getting into their groove. Being friendly and supportive over voice chat tends to make most pubbie groups follow your lead. Unfortunately, around the second level of a chapter I start messing with them. Little things, like triggering a panic event before everyone gets into position for it aren't a big deal (there's 5-10 seconds before the horde comes) but you'll almost always have a teammate that can't take it and screws up in some way. If I notice that my team seems to be moving slowly, I'll speed them up until they start making mistakes. For some people, going too slowly makes them lose concentration or something, and they'll stray off and get hit. All the while I stay positive, and my team follows me to their deaths.

In a pinch, I can always lag behind a bit and get smokered or pounced in such a way that my team has to come back for me. The end of no mercy 1 is great for this - people are so focussed on the saferoom that they don't register that I've been incapped on the stairs, and they'll usually come back for me.

Oddly enough, I rarely get votekicked, and people like playing with me enough that they add me to their friends list. There's probably some kind of life lesson in all of this.

• Locked thread