Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Also - i vaguely recall reading here that you shouldn't make rabbit cages out of chicken wire but I can't find anything on the internet explaining why, other then one saying that rabbits or their predators can chew through it if determined enough - so it's inadequate for keeping rabbits outside (which I don't).

I'm looking at utility wire (pic: http://sk-fencing.com/images/utility_fence.jpg) - should be quite sturdy apparently - but are there some dangers particular to having this sort of layout? Can they get caught in it or something? This is just for the walls, not the floor or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

angelicism posted:

I built the buns a new pen and now they're never coming out. Well, that's not true, if I open up her door, Zen will venture out just long enough to run to the other side of Frith's pen, taunt him, and then go back inside herself.

Frith, aside from the above behavior, is perfectly content to never leave the nook in the back of his pen.

:sigh:

Anyway, at least they seem happy. Although Frith is never going to get any exercise at this rate.

Somehow, Frith was able to save up 10 dollars and buy a forums account. How logs in with his little paws remains a mystery.

Have you tried placing the food bowl outside of the cage and luring him with treats?

Lagomorpha posted:

Hehehe, like this?

I laughed so very very hard at this.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

ShadowCatboy posted:

Somehow, Frith was able to save up 10 dollars and buy a forums account. How logs in with his little paws remains a mystery.

Have you tried placing the food bowl outside of the cage and luring him with treats?

I've tried this a million times. That boy is happy to just sleep (or sprawl out half asleep) ALL DAY. I'm jealous. Some of us have things we have to do during the day.

Lagomorpha, your bunny makes me die of warm fuzzy feelings. ^_^

Mr. Wynand: I got my cubes at a Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and I've seen them at my college store (from when I was in college) -- I imagine it's a pretty popular solution for college kids since they're fairly cheap.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Couldn't resist and made another Douglas tribute video:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/4cadb5eb54/cuteness-overload-douglas-eats-a-banana

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Relayer posted:

Couldn't resist and made another Douglas tribute video:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/4cadb5eb54/cuteness-overload-douglas-eats-a-banana

Your bunny eats bananas like a pussy. Bowser would have downed that thing in 4 seconds, grunting and guarding it all the while.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Melicious posted:

Your bunny eats bananas like a pussy. Bowser would have downed that thing in 4 seconds, grunting and guarding it all the while.

Yeah it was actually the first time we ever tried giving him banana, he didn't want to eat it at first. Usually when we give him something new he tries to bite it at first to get it out of his face and then realizes it tastes good.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Well after two and a bit weeks my bunny seems to be settling in well. She's currently going through a phase of 'chinning' everything in sight.

Just looking for some advice on what i should be using to line her cage with. It has a plastic base and i'm using wood shavings at the moment which are rather messy and i've heard they're not great for a rabbit's respiratory system in the long term. Any suggestions as to what i should be using?

Also she's developed this habit of shaking the side of her cage with her mouth for some reason. It's sort of gone away now but during the last week she was at it an awful lot. She only does it in two specific spots in the cage. She'll normally stop if i clap my hands or give her a stern 'NO!'. I'm a little worried she'll hurt herself doing it when i'm not about some day :( Suggestions? Is something in the vicinity of the cage bothering her or is that normal behavior?

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Yay! bunny thread!

Took Chunk for his first vet checkup (With us). Vet said he's probably about 7months old, and that he's in really good health. Then just as she was checking the last of the fecal slide, she found some coccidiosis eggs, so he's got antibiotics for that. It's common in campus bunnies so he probably picked it up whilst abandoned. The vet said he couldn't have been on campus for too long though as he was in very good health.

He's scheduled to get the snip on May 1st. Yikes!

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Do bunnies get depressed? I think Frith is depressed. :( He hasn't come out of his pen in a week. I leave the pen door open, I hide in my room so he can venture out without being watched, and all he does is stay in the back of the pen. He'll only come to the front to eat and pee, and then go straight to the back.

On another note: where do you guys get your bunny halters? I've only seen ones for dogs and the smallest one I could find still isn't small enough for Zen, she just wriggles out of them.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

angelicism posted:

Do bunnies get depressed? I think Frith is depressed. :( He hasn't come out of his pen in a week. I leave the pen door open, I hide in my room so he can venture out without being watched, and all he does is stay in the back of the pen. He'll only come to the front to eat and pee, and then go straight to the back.

On another note: where do you guys get your bunny halters? I've only seen ones for dogs and the smallest one I could find still isn't small enough for Zen, she just wriggles out of them.

hey this happened to my rabbits. They would hardly come out or really even move. SO! I renovated their cage and took it from blah to OH YEAH! (my rabbits make me retarded sometimes who cares).

their cage at first was 3x2 (in NIC pieces)and was 2 high. In an "L" shape around the outside of the cage was a top shelf that I stupidly never got around to flooring properly. I didn't bother because they hardly showed any interest in them. When I saw this post I decided to turn their cage into that. The only mod I made was taking one of the upstairs squares out.... the one that would be beside the ramp but not the one at the top of the ramp.

my rabbits now go all over the cage upper level and lower both by jumping and climbing. It's really great because they ARE overweight and I'm always happy when they get physical activity.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

My pair just had a fight :(

We were watching TV and saw some humping going on, I got up to make sure it was nothing and about that time they both started going for the neck so I intervened. Right now the paypen is up and they're more or less ignoring each other after I broke up several near humps.

Should I separate them for a bit? To give some back story (of possible relevant details), I built them a new house a few weeks ago and they started acting a little wacky about it so I began hand feeding them about 4 days ago. It's gone really well and they responded well to the extra face time (which I figured was a huge part of why they were acting weird), but the last two times the more dominate bun has tempted mounting the other.

We also got a new cat about a month ago.

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!
Aww, the video of Douglas eating the banana is adorable! He's so big and fluffy. I love how bunnies pull their cheeks back when they're eating bananas so they don't get their whiskers messy.

I have the three best, cutest bunnies ever.

Skyler likes bananas, too:

Rory likes to chill out:

Phoebe Mae is just sweet:

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

spudsbuckley posted:

Well after two and a bit weeks my bunny seems to be settling in well. She's currently going through a phase of 'chinning' everything in sight.

Just looking for some advice on what i should be using to line her cage with. It has a plastic base and i'm using wood shavings at the moment which are rather messy and i've heard they're not great for a rabbit's respiratory system in the long term. Any suggestions as to what i should be using?
Either Carefresh or Yesterday's News, check out the rest of the thread on making your rabbit a litterbox. That way you don't have to fill a whole cage with the stuff.

quote:

Also she's developed this habit of shaking the side of her cage with her mouth for some reason. It's sort of gone away now but during the last week she was at it an awful lot. She only does it in two specific spots in the cage. She'll normally stop if i clap my hands or give her a stern 'NO!'. I'm a little worried she'll hurt herself doing it when i'm not about some day :( Suggestions? Is something in the vicinity of the cage bothering her or is that normal behavior?
This is perfectly normal and unfortunately not something they grow out of. If my own rabbit's anything to go by, it either means "let me out NOW" or "give me food/attention NOW". I highly doubt it's possible for them to hurt themselves that way, and at least they'll only do it when you're around.

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!

spudsbuckley posted:

Is she chewing on the bars or just shaking them? Either way, I agree that it sounds like she's bored or looking for attention. If she's actually chewing on the bars, I would worry about her damaging her teeth. My girlie used to chew on/shake the cage bars and how I got her to stop (she still does it occasionally) is to completely ignore her- don't even look at her- when she does it. That way she's not getting any attention from you and learning that shaking bars = attention. Try giving her a larger variety of toys, especially things she can chew. Phoebe Mae can reduce a willow basket as big as she is to splinters in a couple hours! And last of all, try giving her more attention and out of cage time, but not right after she's been chewing on the bars. Especially if she's a young bunny, she may just have lots of pent up energy that she's releasing by shaking the cage bars.

Hope that helps!

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

luscious posted:

hey this happened to my rabbits. They would hardly come out or really even move. SO! I renovated their cage and took it from blah to OH YEAH! (my rabbits make me retarded sometimes who cares).

their cage at first was 3x2 (in NIC pieces)and was 2 high. In an "L" shape around the outside of the cage was a top shelf that I stupidly never got around to flooring properly. I didn't bother because they hardly showed any interest in them. When I saw this post I decided to turn their cage into that. The only mod I made was taking one of the upstairs squares out.... the one that would be beside the ramp but not the one at the top of the ramp.

my rabbits now go all over the cage upper level and lower both by jumping and climbing. It's really great because they ARE overweight and I'm always happy when they get physical activity.

My buns still live in separate (identical) pens because they STILL fight. Yes, it's been like 9 months and the stupid kids haven't bonded and I've about given up. :( And now I can even give them dates because Frith won't come outside, ever.

The pens are 3x2 for the bottom floor and 1x2 for a little 2nd floor, with no ramp. Zen hops up and down there just fine, but Frith hides in the back under the second floor.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
I've gotten a new bunny. He's a lop named Euler [OY-ler] after the famous mathematician Leonhard Euler. (Named by my boyfriend.)

How I came to attain Euler is an interesting tale. I fear you may judge me for it, but if anyone's going to judge me it might as well be Pet Island. At least y'all know what you're talking about.

I go to the University of Victoria, which has an unusually cute "scourge." It has a very large population of domestic feral rabbits. They were all either unwanted pets, or, as is now more likely, descendants of such. However, people do still drop unwanted bunnies off on campus, like my first bunny, Chunk.

The University tries to pass them off as "wildlife" but there's not really anything wild about them.
http://communications.uvic.ca/rabbits/
http://communications.uvic.ca/rabbits/qa.php

Current uproar surrounding the bunnies include their expansion into neighbouring hoods
http://www2.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=b13817bc-18d9-46ec-b59a-1a8aaf56eb5a&k=48069
and the campus environmental paper publishing a recipe for rabbit stew with a guide to killing and skinning the rabbits, as a suggestion for an environmentally sound way to deal with the rabbit problem.
http://web.uvic.ca/~essa/?page_id=161

Needless to say, living on campus is not a good life for a rabbit. There's endless trash for them to accidentally eat, and many of the lifetime campus dwellers are missing appendages, or sporting serious injuries.

Anyways, I was walking around the residences waiting to pick something up when I passed a patch of bushes and spotted the lop licking a damp pizza box.

What was strange about this, to me, is that in my four years at this campus, I have never seen another lop. Especially not one so fantastically loppish.

Anyways, what sealed the deal for me was that when I knelt down and put out my hand, he came racing towards me, and just about pounced on me as if I was his little Bunny savior. He was soft and looked in relatively good health, generally a sign of a recently abandoned bun.

You'd think Bunnies living on a University campus would be used to humans, but most buns on campus are still afraid of people and run from them unless a large carrot is involved.

I didn't want to take him, because I figured my boyfriend would not be pleased with my acquiring of another rabbit, so I sadly left him to his cardboard and wandered off.

However, after telling my boyfriend about him, he agreed that we ought to give him a better home. So we went back to the campus in the drizzling rain and coaxed him into our bunny-carrier.

Now he's downstairs in a pretty sweet quarantine set-up, with a vet appt. on Friday.

He's very forward and adventurous, very affectionate. I don't feel bad, because I know he'll have a better, and most likely longer, life here.

Anyways, judge me if you must, bunny threaders. I am not ashamed of my bunny-napping!

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
So our new cat and our existing 2 bunnies used to mostly ignore eachother.

But recently (probably because we started letting the bunnies out more) they have started to fight. I'm not sure how serious it is - the cat could easily just be trying to play with them. Also the bunnies aren't TERRIFIED of her or anything - in fact they will often come sniffing her way (and then she tried to paw at them and they run away kicking and scratching).

My rabbits are fat assholes who know how to fight and they are waaaaay nimbler then the cat and the cat is, well, a pussy. So I'm not toooo concerned, BUT they could probably still up with hurt paws and feelings if they keep at it.

Is there a way I can dissuade them from this behavior? I know both species respond poorly to negative reinforcement. Should I just leave it alone? Are they just playing? I suspect if the rabbits REALLY took issue with the cat's behavior they'd just hide from her all the time (which they don't).

All three seem a lot livelier when they are together so I'd hate to just keep them separated, but otoh I don't want unduly stress them out.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Anyways, judge me if you must, bunny threaders. I am not ashamed of my bunny-napping!

I'm not judging anything, house rabbits will have a very short and miserable life fending for themselves outside.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Seems like you did a good thing to me. But I have to wonder, if everyone knows about this, why is nothing actually being done? You mentioned the university deems them "wildlife," is that just their way of ignoring the problem? Why doesn't animal control do something? It just seems like the kind of situation where everyone knows but no one really does anything, which is sad.

Also, lop pix plz.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

angelicism posted:

My buns still live in separate (identical) pens because they STILL fight. Yes, it's been like 9 months and the stupid kids haven't bonded and I've about given up. :( And now I can even give them dates because Frith won't come outside, ever.

The pens are 3x2 for the bottom floor and 1x2 for a little 2nd floor, with no ramp. Zen hops up and down there just fine, but Frith hides in the back under the second floor.

You know, I've been thinking about Firth and I think you may need to drag him out. I don't think rabbits get emo, they're just being rabbits. It's possible your two will never bond but they need to realize you're boss and they do need to respond to you. Portia, my lop was extremely dominant and bossy when I got her. Every time she bit me or did something dominant towards a human I would pick her up and gently hold her on her back so that she would chill. After several weeks of this (make sure you only release when you're ready) she learned that she couldn't pull poo poo like that. I wasn't mean or nasty towards her, it was just a simple way of saying "Hey, I don't really care, I'm in charge and you're not allowed to do that. I'm going to pick you up or pet you if I need to so chill out".

It worked for me. They're stubborn, independent creatures and sometimes they have to be put in their place gently.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Bunway Airlines posted:

You know, I've been thinking about Firth and I think you may need to drag him out. I don't think rabbits get emo, they're just being rabbits. It's possible your two will never bond but they need to realize you're boss and they do need to respond to you. Portia, my lop was extremely dominant and bossy when I got her. Every time she bit me or did something dominant towards a human I would pick her up and gently hold her on her back so that she would chill. After several weeks of this (make sure you only release when you're ready) she learned that she couldn't pull poo poo like that. I wasn't mean or nasty towards her, it was just a simple way of saying "Hey, I don't really care, I'm in charge and you're not allowed to do that. I'm going to pick you up or pet you if I need to so chill out".

It worked for me. They're stubborn, independent creatures and sometimes they have to be put in their place gently.

I suppose it's worth a shot. The last time I tried to reach into the pen and haul Frith out he freaked out, and I a) felt so bad for stressing him out when he's jumpy to begin with and b) didn't really need any more scrapes on my arm that made me look like a bad suicide attempt. :D

It's not even that Frith is dominant, that's Zen's problem, but I can deal with her. Frith is just a world-class pussy, and while it's super cute sometimes, it's very exasperating at other times. Obviously. :sigh:

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004

Serella posted:

Seems like you did a good thing to me. But I have to wonder, if everyone knows about this, why is nothing actually being done? You mentioned the university deems them "wildlife," is that just their way of ignoring the problem? Why doesn't animal control do something? It just seems like the kind of situation where everyone knows but no one really does anything, which is sad.

Also, lop pix plz.

Unfortunately, it's exactly that sort of problem. There was even a local vet that offered to give vasectomies to all of the male bunnies on campus at no charge.

(as opposed to neutering them, a vasectomy leaves their territorial and dominance instincts intact)

Don't know why no one has taken him up on it yet, it's very frustrating.

The problem is that, by this point, the population has been there for so long that people don't understand that these aren't wild bunnies, and that they don't have good lives.

The mentality on campus is "don't touch the bunnies, they're wild, they're better off here than as pets." which is really not the case.

Pics to come!!

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

angelicism posted:

I suppose it's worth a shot. The last time I tried to reach into the pen and haul Frith out he freaked out, and I a) felt so bad for stressing him out when he's jumpy to begin with and b) didn't really need any more scrapes on my arm that made me look like a bad suicide attempt. :D

It's not even that Frith is dominant, that's Zen's problem, but I can deal with her. Frith is just a world-class pussy, and while it's super cute sometimes, it's very exasperating at other times. Obviously. :sigh:

Yeah you know the lady who ran the shelter that I got Ender from told me to not worry about stressing bunnies too much; they're tougher than they seem. My two are terrified of vaccumes but I just go along anyway because they need to get used to it. Wear long sleeves or something and if you have to grab the scruf you can always do that.

He's got to learn that you can be fun to be around...you have treats and you pet him. I've never met a bunny who didn't warm up to petting once they know it feels good. It's like toweling a bird if you've ever seen that; they hate it and freak out but eventually get used to it.

You're the boss, don't worry you're not going to hurt him ;)

Buddleia
May 22, 2007
I like butterflies; butterflies like Buddleia.

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Unfortunately, it's exactly that sort of problem. There was even a local vet that offered to give vasectomies to all of the male bunnies on campus at no charge.

(as opposed to neutering them, a vasectomy leaves their territorial and dominance instincts intact)

Don't know why no one has taken him up on it yet, it's very frustrating.

The problem is that, by this point, the population has been there for so long that people don't understand that these aren't wild bunnies, and that they don't have good lives.

The mentality on campus is "don't touch the bunnies, they're wild, they're better off here than as pets." which is really not the case.

Pics to come!!

Delurking to say that this attitude is shockingly prevalent. My only remaining rabbit (I once had five, most of which were abandoned strays) was found roaming the Carleton University campus (I think she was an isolated incident, there is no feral population there that I know of). I can remember rescuing some of my strays and hearing that a lot: "What are you doing? That's their home. they're better off roaming free than in a cage". I think people just think that domestic rabbit = wild rabbit. Right, and domestic cat = bobcat :rolleyes:.

Maybe part of the issue at University of Victoria is that because it's a university campus and therefore already developed, there is less of a concern for their impact on the local environment. For example, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park also has a feral domestic rabbit problem (I think) and they've had to resort to more drastic measures because the rabbits are eating valuable plant life and so on.

Lagomorpha
Feb 17, 2009

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

You obviously did the right thing. Most wild rabbits know not to eat garbage, also most don't look like lops. Before I made it to the end of your story, my heart broke when I thought you left Euler to lick the soggy pizza box. My bunny was found outside a church, emaciated, also nibbling on some garbage, at least that's what the adoption agency said. I am so glad you went back to get him!!! I hope he lives a long happy life with you guys :)

House bunnies are NOT meant to be abandoned in fields... it really bothers me how people think "It'll do fine out here because it eats grass." Way to screw over a prey animal who has no idea how many carnivores are out to get them in the great outdoors.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Here's the best pic I could get of him:

Every other one is just a blur of him racing around me, excited.

He's the complete opposite of Chunk. As soon as Euler sees you he's all
"HEYHOWAREYOUPETMEPETMEPETMEGOTANYTREATS?" and Chunk's just impartial to your very existence.

Of course, Chunk also doesn't poop all over the place, so there's that.

Euler's going to the vet tomorrow morning, which should be find. He'll likely be a carrier of coccidia like Chunk was, so that's a week of antibiotics.
I'm also a bit worried about his eyes, because he's missing some chunks of fur around the nose-ward parts, probably as a result of a fight, but i'm worried about infection.

Hopefully all will be well. (and hopefully he will be a she, and easier to bond with Chunk after both are altered)

Lagomorpha
Feb 17, 2009
He's so cute!!!! Again, I'm so glad you rescued him!!!!

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

D'aawwwwwwww.

Every time I see a lop I want one so badly. Zen and Frith are gorgeous bunnies but lops are so... loppy. It's so loving precious. I just want to ruffle their ears. :)

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
The best part is that she just sits there and soaks it up as you ruffle her ears and pet her all over. She is a total attention-whore. She has absolutely no fear, and is incredibly energetic.

She had her vet appt. this morning. She's definitely a girl bunny! She'll be spayed the same day Chunk gets the snip.

Now when I walk around campus I try to do so without looking too hard at any of the bunnies, in case I find another one that's very obviously an abandoned pet. I saw on a buy/sell site for my town that somebody found an abandoned guinea pig on campus. Poor piggie.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Mr. Wynand posted:

So our new cat and our existing 2 bunnies used to mostly ignore eachother.

But recently (probably because we started letting the bunnies out more) they have started to fight. I'm not sure how serious it is - the cat could easily just be trying to play with them. Also the bunnies aren't TERRIFIED of her or anything - in fact they will often come sniffing her way (and then she tried to paw at them and they run away kicking and scratching).

My rabbits are fat assholes who know how to fight and they are waaaaay nimbler then the cat and the cat is, well, a pussy. So I'm not toooo concerned, BUT they could probably still up with hurt paws and feelings if they keep at it.

Is there a way I can dissuade them from this behavior? I know both species respond poorly to negative reinforcement. Should I just leave it alone? Are they just playing? I suspect if the rabbits REALLY took issue with the cat's behavior they'd just hide from her all the time (which they don't).

All three seem a lot livelier when they are together so I'd hate to just keep them separated, but otoh I don't want unduly stress them out.

How new is the cat? I've been trying to get some answers on bunny/cat introduction and haven't had much luck either so I've been winging it. I kept them totally separate until they were at the point that she could walk by their house and no one flipped out. Now I'm at a point of letting them have access to each other during playtime. Usually they just let her hang out but they always end up chasing her around until she just jumps out of the playpen. I've heard that it's good for them to chase her as it says "not a meal" but I haven't got passed that to any reconciliation point. Hope you have better luck than I have.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

GoodApollo posted:

How new is the cat? I've been trying to get some answers on bunny/cat introduction and haven't had much luck either so I've been winging it. I kept them totally separate until they were at the point that she could walk by their house and no one flipped out. Now I'm at a point of letting them have access to each other during playtime. Usually they just let her hang out but they always end up chasing her around until she just jumps out of the playpen. I've heard that it's good for them to chase her as it says "not a meal" but I haven't got passed that to any reconciliation point. Hope you have better luck than I have.

Is them="the bunnies" and her="the cat"? If so, maybe they are trying to mount her?

Not that this would really help your situation since the cat would probably be at best confused and at worse threatened by their attempts....

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I'm not going to get too excited, but I think I'm making progress on the road to bonding. Debbie is still a bitch, but I've learned that they can share food. Yay! I tried it last night and they seemed to be ok, so I tried it again tonight. While Murphy is still easily within the safety of his pen, him and Debbie were both face deep in greens for over 10 minutes without altercations. Generally the only time Debbie will be civil with Murphy is through the grids of the shared wall. I took a short video to document the occasion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HQagcfqvc

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Well my rabbit seems to be coming around at long last. She's stop her chewing on the cage bit, which may be because i changed the plastic shelter thing that came with her cage for a wooden one which she loves. She still has little or no interest in any of the wooden toys i got her though other than rubbing her chin on them along with every other surface.

I let her out for a run around for at least two hours a day now that she's used to the idea and she seems to enjoy it a lot but occasionally she'll still get funny spells when she'll thump like crazy and run in behind furniture that she really shouldn't be able to get behind. I'm a bit worried she'll hurt herself when she gets worked up like this. The problem is that i don't have any idea what sets her off, one minute she'll be laying sprawled out on her blanket on the floor or munching on a bit of hay and the next she'll have darted behind the TV cabinet that's pushed right up against the wall and be thumping like a lunatic. It's no use trying to get her out either because it just annoys her so i just leave her be till she comes out on her own. She hasn't done it for a few days now so maybe it was a passing thing that scared her that i didn't hear or notice or something.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
How much have other goons here paid to have their bunnies fixed? My girlfriend and I went to a place about an hour away that specializes in bunnies, and the vet wants like $700 for everything. :-X

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Christ, it cost me about $35 for my (male) bunny. My friend's female was about $55.

Edit: before you burn down your vet's office, I should mention I'm Dutch so we probably have very different prices for these kinds of things. Still you really should shop around for a better price because believe me it exists.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Tots posted:

How much have other goons here paid to have their bunnies fixed? My girlfriend and I went to a place about an hour away that specializes in bunnies, and the vet wants like $700 for everything. :-X

it cost me 350$ for the girl and 250$ for the boy. It probably came up to more than that because they convinced me that there are all sorts of things that need to be done to / for them in order for the surgery to go well.

I have spent a LOT of money on taking my rabbits to the vet.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Windy posted:

I'm not going to get too excited, but I think I'm making progress on the road to bonding. Debbie is still a bitch, but I've learned that they can share food. Yay! I tried it last night and they seemed to be ok, so I tried it again tonight. While Murphy is still easily within the safety of his pen, him and Debbie were both face deep in greens for over 10 minutes without altercations. Generally the only time Debbie will be civil with Murphy is through the grids of the shared wall. I took a short video to document the occasion.

Congrats! There's no nasty faces, everyone is being polite.

Bonding rabbits is probably one of the most frustrating things I've ever done, and I graduate student researcher who has to deal with strange, crazy issues :rolleyes:

Stupid little buggers, but we love them.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Bunway Airlines posted:

Stupid little buggers, but we love them.

Yeah, they can be stupid, but oh so cute!

My biggest fear is that Murphy will never get over the attacks from Debbie while I was on a vacation 2 years ago. My sister didn't understand the note that said "NEVER EVER EVER let both out at once. EVER!" Since then it's been tough to get Murphy to even look at Debbie when I take them out of the pens, but I was happy to see this big step finally :)

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Windy posted:

you know what? I could watch that video for a long time just cuz rabbits are so loving cute to watch and stuff. Anyway, I'm glad that they're starting to get along. It kind of looked like Murphy was sniffing out Debbie while she ate. My lop makes the same movements and stuff so it's funny to watch yours interact.

I must have had the most painless bonding ever. I put them seperate for like, a week and then they started hanging out and now they're best friends and would never go anywhere without the other.

however, I do have frustrating things to deal with as well. Like all the loving cords I've had to replace or the devilish things that she does for fun that rubs off on him.

also, I'm really sorry that Murphy is traumatised from a few years ago. I fear that Bitsy will secretly hate me always because of some of the medical things that she had to go through to be a healthy one (needles and stuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004

Tots posted:

For me it'll be around $120 for the boy, and $150-170 for the girl. I live in British Columbia and I've heard we have really good spay/neuter rates here, but I've also heard that the vet I made my appointments with is on the more expensive side.