Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

AkrisD posted:

What size is the little twisty bolt thing that holds the jack down in the trunk? Mine got all bent up after following stupid M.net advice when changing my brakes.

edit: forgot, it's a 2000.

Just take the whole bolt out and go to OSH. They have a nice selection of metric hardware and they have a couple plates you can check thread sizes in, once you know the thread size you can just find whatever is the most similar on the wall.

I end up going there almost every time I'm doing major work on my car due to old rusty bolts, like those exhaust studs that sheared off the cat when I was replacing that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.
Turbo/SC guys, does the OE catalytic converter become a choke point when you add boost? My cat is pretty much dead, and I plan on doing FI... eventually, and I don't want to get an OE replacement and then find out I need a mad tyte high-flow cat or something silly.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Why would you ever buy an OE CC? They cost some ungodly amount of money where a high-flow one is a fraction of the cost.

i r gud reedr

VV - The exhaust on the Miata is 2.5" iirc, and while it isn't very restrictive, you'll be able to go for more power with a 3" system. And 70 bucks isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

Phone fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 25, 2009

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/11-1033.html

$125 for an aftermarket replacement, which I assume to be equivalent to OE.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/11-1031.html

$195 for a JR high-flow.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

GoblinBomb posted:

Turbo/SC guys, does the OE catalytic converter become a choke point when you add boost? My cat is pretty much dead, and I plan on doing FI... eventually, and I don't want to get an OE replacement and then find out I need a mad tyte high-flow cat or something silly.

Yes it does. You'll want something that matches the diameter of your downpipe and catback. 2.5" is fine up to 12psi or so. Beyond that you'll want to go to 3". Do you need to replace the cat now because of smog or inspection?

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
I don't have to pass emissions because the car is registered in a small town instead of here in Phoenix, but if I did, I'm pretty certain it would fail. It's also rattling like mad, so maybe something's broken off inside.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
You guys are going to hate me, but let's talk normally aspirated intakes. My car currently has a mad-tyte DIY "CAI" that the PO made, with the air box removed, and a filter adapted onto the AFM, and a lovely lovely bracket holding the whole assembly up. The filter is currently sucking delicious hot air from the exhaust manifold area. I'd like to maybe get something that doesn't do that, so should I:

1) get an ebay Racing Beat HIGH FLOW INTAKE that will pull air from the area behind the driver's side headlight ( http://www.racingbeat.com/resultset.asp?partnumber=56500 )
2) get a new or ebay DDM low-restriction intake ( http://www.rspeed.net/product_p/na10211050.htm ) which has a heatshield and a decent mounting system (I'm not set on this brand, anything like it would be equivalent I imagine)
3) find a junkyard airbox/snorkel or order a new one and restore the intake to stock

Edit: I'm not really looking to get any power gains, because I know there are very little to be had. But I'd like to get something that looks better and that I would be less worried about snapping the bracket and falling off the car. If it performs better as a result of not pulling in superhot air, terrific.

GoblinBomb fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 26, 2009

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Just go back to stock. Aftermarket filters may or may not filter better than the stock filter design and that's really the only important thing.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm considering making the switch to a full time summer time this summer, and I've been doing some reading around. It seems like the new hotness as far as tires go is the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec.

Unfortunately, the tire doesn't seem to come in 195/50R15, the stock tire size for my 95M. However, it is available in 195/55R15, and TireRack carries them for only $91/tire.

What would be the consequences of running a slightly taller tire like that? Besides the obvious difference of a 0.7 inch larger diameter and that my speedo will read 3.4% too slow (so it might actually make it more accurate...), would there be any actual fitment or handling issues? Ride height is stock, and it'll be time for an alignment anyway. Any insight?

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 26, 2009

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The stock size for regular Miatas is 185/55/14 and my tires are 185/65/14 and 195/60/14. Don't over think it.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

FireTora posted:

Just take the whole bolt out and go to OSH. They have a nice selection of metric hardware and they have a couple plates you can check thread sizes in, once you know the thread size you can just find whatever is the most similar on the wall.

I end up going there almost every time I'm doing major work on my car due to old rusty bolts, like those exhaust studs that sheared off the cat when I was replacing that...

I would do that, but I threw it out with all the rest of the broken/used crap when I finished my brakes.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
As much as I love daily driving Falken RT-615's, I really should purchase a tire that will give me more than 12,000 miles. Even though they're pretty cheap, it's still well over $300 with installation each year for me. It's going to be tough getting used to a tire with inferior grip. :(

Any recommendations?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hankook Ventus R-S2?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

The stock size for regular Miatas is 185/55/14 and my tires are 185/65/14 and 195/60/14. Don't over think it.

My 15X6 rims call for 195-50-15. His 95M should have 15X6 wheels too.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

Hankook Ventus R-S2?
Yeah, more livable and I'm looking to get about ~20k out of my set.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm not sure how much I got out of my set, but I'm looking at replacing them pretty soon (bought them in May, took them off in November). The Azenis are a fun tire, but poo poo can hit the fan real quick with them.

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

Guinness posted:

What would be the consequences of running a slightly taller tire like that? Besides the obvious difference of a 0.7 inch larger diameter and that my speedo will read 3.4% too slow (so it might actually make it more accurate...), would there be any actual fitment or handling issues? Ride height is stock, and it'll be time for an alignment anyway. Any insight?
There's going to be more sidewall flex due to the fact it's taller but whether it would be noticable in practice I can't say.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
Anyone else make it to the Laguna event?

Also, gratuitous ego stoking:

:awesome:

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Phone posted:

Hankook Ventus R-S2?

I could have sworn that I got about the same milage out of the R-S2's that I had before my current set of Azenis.

My history of tires on this car over 34,000 miles is:
  1. Some abomination of a tire made my by Douglas
  2. Azenis
  3. Ventus R-S2
  4. Azenis

I may have gotten more out of the Ventus, but it wasn't really noticeable. I certainly didn't get 20k miles. I do drive the car pretty hard and probably need to get my camber checked out since I lowered it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How much should I trust Mazda's database?

I called the Mazda Customer Assistance number to see if a Miata I want to buy has ABS, and they tell me from that the car is a 2003 Splash Green Mica (accurate) Base 5spd model with no options. The dealer claims it is an LS with a 6spd, and I'm not sure if there are any visual cues that can show if its an LS or not. It seems to have black leather and a Bose stereo, which makes me think LS. Unfortunately its a long drive to go look at this car, but if it actually is a 6spd I want to buy it.

Is it possible that the Mazda guy I got on the phone just didn't care / didn't know how to read the factory options sheet from their database correctly? Or is the dealer a terrible lying bastard who will let me get there to test drive and find out it has no 6th gear?

I've seen on Miata.net that LSes have "Aluminum-like" interior trim, but I'm not sure what this would look like. Here's the interior in question. LS or not?

Edit: Now I'm getting some very :tinfoil: theories to explain this, probably because I just saw an Autoblog post about car cloning. Other options are that this is not the right VIN, or that someone put a 6spd in there, but those both seem very unlikely.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 26, 2009

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
This site has a ton of info on the differences and options packages between different years: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5361/

That does look like an LS model. Reading that site, the 6-speed was an option just like an Automatic. The only way to guarantee a 6-speed without driving it is to look for the Special Editions each year offered.

Also, Mazda's options database only goes back like 6 years I think, so there's a very real chance that's all the info the rep could provide.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

AkrisD posted:

This site has a ton of info on the differences and options packages between different years: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5361/

That does look like an LS model. Reading that site, the 6-speed was an option just like an Automatic. The only way to guarantee a 6-speed without driving it is to look for the Special Editions each year offered.

Also, Mazda's options database only goes back like 6 years I think, so there's a very real chance that's all the info the rep could provide.

They could also just have no idea. I bought my car from a mazda dealership and they couldn't figure out whether it had a torsen or not. When I got it insured it came up as a totally different edition (based on the plate) and they hadn't heard of mine, but they said it's pretty common.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Checking for torsens is pretty easy:

Find open space
Come to a stop
Crank wheel all the way to the left
Put in first gear
Mash the go pedal

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

AkrisD posted:

I was able to get information on my 1990 last year, so you may have gotten the wrong person.

nanodroogie
Apr 27, 2006

The Fritos are antiquated.

Weinertron posted:

How much should I trust Mazda's database?

I called the Mazda Customer Assistance number to see if a Miata I want to buy has ABS, and they tell me from that the car is a 2003 Splash Green Mica (accurate) Base 5spd model with no options. The dealer claims it is an LS with a 6spd, and I'm not sure if there are any visual cues that can show if its an LS or not. It seems to have black leather and a Bose stereo, which makes me think LS. Unfortunately its a long drive to go look at this car, but if it actually is a 6spd I want to buy it.

Is it possible that the Mazda guy I got on the phone just didn't care / didn't know how to read the factory options sheet from their database correctly? Or is the dealer a terrible lying bastard who will let me get there to test drive and find out it has no 6th gear?

I've seen on Miata.net that LSes have "Aluminum-like" interior trim, but I'm not sure what this would look like. Here's the interior in question. LS or not?

Unless someone went crazy upgrading the interior, that's an LS. The quickest way to tell if an NB is an LS is if it has leather seats. Later models (2003+) also have the dash trim in "aluminum" finish - fancy way of saying the plastic around the air vents and center console is silver instead of black. The Bose system also indicates it's an LS (2000+ cars only - 1999 had no LS). However, the Bose system sucks and isn't really a selling point for the LS.

Is there a particular reason you want a 6-speed? I've owned both and I prefer the feel of the 5-speed. Plenty of folks prefer the 6-speed though, so I'd recommend driving both before you decide.

Can you get the dealer to take a couple extra photos for you? If it has ABS there will be a light on the dash that illuminates when the key is turned to the on position, there will be a designation ('ABS=YES', I think) on the passenger side door-frame sticker, and there will be an ABS modulator bolted to the firewall on the passenger side of the engine bay. (see pic)

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

nanodroogie posted:

Can you get the dealer to take a couple extra photos for you?

I'm trying, this thing is trapped on a smaller used car lot so they don't exactly have an internet presence besides some Autotrader listings.

I'm just not sure if I should try to negotiate price over the phone tomorrow and buy it Saturday, or if I should show up with a heavy intent to buy on Saturday and talk price when I can see it myself, check out the radiator, etc.

I'm worried that I wouldn't get taken seriously over the phone, and that if I drive the 2 hours to get to it I won't want to drive back without it. This vehicle is exactly what I'm looking for though, and a 1-owner Carfax. I've been having a hard time finding a 01+ Miata, it seems like there are far more '99s and '00 NBs out there!

Mo Hawk
Jul 17, 2006
HEADPHONE JACK
So I might be able to get a low-mileage used set of shocks and springs from a 2005 NB-FL.
I am unable to locate information about whether it will fit my NA though... it could help out quite a bit, since my rear shocks are practically gone by now (pro probably never been changed, so almost 200.000 miles).

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Mo Hawk posted:

So I might be able to get a low-mileage used set of shocks and springs from a 2005 NB-FL.
I am unable to locate information about whether it will fit my NA though... it could help out quite a bit, since my rear shocks are practically gone by now (pro probably never been changed, so almost 200.000 miles).

They bolt on but they will raise you car higher.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Rest In Peace :(

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Grayham posted:

Rest In Peace :(

Your car has some nasty buck teeth there

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
:( What happened?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Well, at least you don't have to worry about new tires and/or the rust issue you brought up. :unsmith:

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I myself can't normally stand rice, and I know its not popular on these forums, but what sort of Miata body kits and bumpers do people have their eyes on?

I may be filing a claim against my fiance who hit me pulling in the driveway, depending upon how it effects her insurance. Either way, I'll need a front bumper, hood, and left fender--my pocket or hers.

I was looking at the Wings West W-Typ Front Air Dam -- the only front bumper I've seen better looking than stock. I think its even nicer than the Racing Beat Type II.

Does anyone remember the rear bumper that drop off even with the trunk line, perfectly flat from the trunk down and rounding in under the back? I think it may have been a Japanese or German import?

EDIT: Selling Voodoo spun finish knob in AI Marketplace.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 29, 2009

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

GoblinBomb posted:

:( What happened?

Four car pileup. My car was the last. I was at fault. My car was the worst by far.

I don't see how it won't get totaled by the adjuster come Monday. If the frame is not bent, then I would strongly consider buying it back.

Things damaged are at least:
  • Bumper
  • Hood
  • LH Fender
  • Radiator and support
  • Both airbags
  • Windshield
  • LH headlight

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Grayham posted:

Four car pileup. My car was the last. I was at fault. My car was the worst by far.

I don't see how it won't get totaled by the adjuster come Monday. If the frame is not bent, then I would strongly consider buying it back.

Things damaged are at least:
  • Bumper
  • Hood
  • LH Fender
  • Radiator and support
  • Both airbags
  • Windshield
  • LH headlight

I feel your pain, I was going to my first autocross on Saturday, got lost, and somehow managed to spin my miata around at 25 in 3rd gear...came across the on coming lane and hit the guard rail and curb. Ruined the entire right side of my car. Not to mention the broken wheel and such. :(

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

goku chewbacca posted:

Does anyone remember the rear bumper that drop off even with the trunk line, perfectly flat from the trunk down and rounding in under the back? I think it may have been a Japanese or German import?

EDIT: Selling Voodoo spun finish knob in AI Marketplace.
BRS Widebody or bust.

That said, the bumper you're looking for is this: http://www.simpsondesign.net/bumper.htm

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I feel your pain, I was going to my first autocross on Saturday, got lost, and somehow managed to spin my miata around at 25 in 3rd gear...came across the on coming lane and hit the guard rail and curb. Ruined the entire right side of my car. Not to mention the broken wheel and such. :(
Whoa, that blows but how could you possibly spin at 25mph in 3rd :confused:

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

Simpson Design
http://www.simpsondesign.net/bumper.htm

You have lose some crash worthiness, and there's no exhaust holes cut already. Other than that it looks amazing.

EDIT: Looks like I wasn't paying attention and someone else already answered this. But mines got pretty pictures.

obeyasia fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 29, 2009

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

destructo posted:

Whoa, that blows but how could you possibly spin at 25mph in 3rd :confused:

I'm still trying to figure that out. It was wet and drizzly so it was kind of slick, but I just squeezed onto the throttle, and all of a sudden I'm sideways counter steering and it just went.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
I need some cheap wheels and I can't find any complete sets of stock alloys on ebay, although I could buy them individually I guess. I'm really getting sick of the huge and lovely-looking 16s the car came with, to the point where it makes me sad to look at my car. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Price range?