Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

terminatusx posted:

What about a way to view and rate other people's creations? You know.. "social networking" and WEB 2.0 STUFFS !! I could actually see that being somewhat entertaining. Nice work with the user-defined text bubbles btw, I remember when I checked it out the first time I wanted to do something like that but it wasn't available.

Yea, really tempting idea. Might require another DB wipe/refactor (add ratings, creator, etc.). That, and I'm completely half-assed at site design. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Supervillin posted:

Saw that I had 50k+ unique visitors last year on my lovely avatar scraper, so I figured if people use it I should give it a facelift. SAARS 2.0:
[

Nice. Since (I assume) you're reading the http headers from the forums anyways, do you think you could add the creation/modification times for the avatars?

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Scaevolus posted:

Nice. Since (I assume) you're reading the http headers from the forums anyways, do you think you could add the creation/modification times for the avatars?

It can't seem to find my avatar. Probably something to do with the space and/or punctuation.

taint toucher fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 18, 2009

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I see that my avatar comes up, but the link to my profile has an underscore instead of a + as the space.

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
Can't find mine either, but I did find it under my old username, which makes sense now that I think about it.

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug

Puppy Milliner posted:

Can't find mine either, but I did find it under my old username, which makes sense now that I think about it.

Should work for old usernames unless the files themselves don't exist. Try manually based on existing avatar filenames, let me know if the images are actually there. The format is typically http://fi.somethingawful.com/customtitles/title-YOURUSERNAME.png with -1 -2 -etc appended as you buy more avatars. Also obviously the .png might be .jpg or .gif depending on what the av actually is.

other people posted:

can't find my avatar

Need to loosen my regexes, I don't know enough usernames to test properly, it seems. Will add punctuation so Action Jackson! should show up shortly. The space-to-underscore used to be correct, looks like space works now so I'll fix that too. Thanks for helping me debug!

Edit: All of the above's fixed. Will take a look into the image headers and see if I can put in the creation/mod times in the image alt or title or something useful.

Supervillin fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 19, 2009

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Supervillin posted:

Edit: All of the above's fixed. Will take a look into the image headers and see if I can put in the creation/mod times in the image alt or title or something useful.

Cool, it's nice to have suggestions taken :)

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Whipped up a quick "LCD Cracker":

terminatusx
Jan 27, 2009

:megaman:Indie Game Dev and Bringer of the Apocalypse

Roflex posted:

"LCD Cracker":

how deliciously evil!

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Roflex posted:

Whipped up a quick "LCD Cracker"

Got a download link? :)

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I swear I posted one.

Still working on it, trying to add a bunch of different options. Instructions come up when you run it, but here's a summary anyway:

It pops up a console, after 5 seconds you'll see the screen flash black for a second. The screen is actually a fullscreen program displaying a screenshot from 5 seconds ago. When you click, it places a couple random cracks at that point. Repeat until satisfied, then press B to add the color bars. Press R to start over, S to save to a bitmap (in the same folder as the program) and start over, Q or Escape to quit. Repeat until satisfied, then leave room. Also, you can just alt-tab out of the program to resume normal use of the computer, then restore the program to instantly "crack" the screen.

Met48
Mar 15, 2009

Roflex posted:

Still working on it, trying to add a bunch of different options.

Neat program - I ended up with this after a few tries:

I'd suggest making it so that when you click and drag the crack(s) spread in that direction; too often I've found them just go to the nearest screen edge.

terminatusx
Jan 27, 2009

Roflex posted:

I'm totally using this to prank my coworkers. :)

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Shredit

A Javascript text editor that runs inside whatever <pre>
element you want it to run in.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Here's some pictures of my Advance Wars clone, so far it should support every unit, but i've only done infantry because it takes so bloody long to cut out each individual sprite.

It uses a View/Logic architecture with events being the only interaction between them, what this means practically is that if I had a bit more time (it's a project for uni in for next week) I could add networking very easily. When I finish uni i'll make this a fully featured online version of AW, at the moment it's only got hotseat play.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

That looks great - I don't know exactly how you're getting the sprites, but if you're ripping them directly may I recommend http://www.spriters-resource.com/gameboy_advance/advwars2/index.html ?

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah believe me i've searched all over the internet for the right sprites, the problem is that they're always without the animation frames and if they do have them they're usually missing some important ones. AdvanceWarsNet.com is the best place i've found but it's generally only useful for stuff like map tiles and GUI elements (which I haven't bothered to do yet).

You can give it a go here: http://lerp.com/poker/up/AWC.msi

If you look in the sprites folder you can see the difference between the sprites I need and the ones on spritesheet websites. People who rip sprites apparently don't ever conceive of what they'd be used for (and also tend to put them on awkward white backgrounds and in odd positions.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

brian posted:

Small point of contention: The shadows are falling in two different directions. Consistency here can improve the (already high) quality of your presentation.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Jo posted:

Small point of contention: The shadows are falling in two different directions. Consistency here can improve the (already high) quality of your presentation.

Haha the shadows are built into the sprites, when I have time i'm first getting networking working, then i'm going for alot of graphical snazzery and i'll remember this one. I want to make it as faithful to the original 3 games as possible both in terms of GUI, effects and everything related to the animation. The battle scenes at the moment are entirely scripted events and ideally i'd like to make it a bit more like the dudes are actually shooting more than that both sides are playing certain animations at certain points. But basically yeah lots of graphical stuff to do but very much at the bottom of the queue right now.

Screeb
Dec 28, 2004

brian posted:

Haha the shadows are built into the sprites, when I have time i'm first getting networking working, then i'm going for alot of graphical snazzery and i'll remember this one. I want to make it as faithful to the original 3 games as possible both in terms of GUI, effects and everything related to the animation. The battle scenes at the moment are entirely scripted events and ideally i'd like to make it a bit more like the dudes are actually shooting more than that both sides are playing certain animations at certain points. But basically yeah lots of graphical stuff to do but very much at the bottom of the queue right now.

I think he means the shadows of the numbers at the top left and right.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Screeb posted:

I think he means the shadows of the numbers at the top left and right.

Haha i'm a gigantic idiot, i'll fix that later.

chips
Dec 25, 2004
Mein Führer! I can walk!
This is a probably bit more abstract and less flashy than some stuff posted here but still interesting. I'm currently implementing the Ising model of ferromagnets for a short uni computational project.

The graph below shows how the final equilibrium energy of the system (bottom lines) varies with temperature, and the upper lines show the differential of the bottom line, effectively the heat capacity (how much energy you need to put in to change the temperature)

Marked with a vertical line is the theoretical critical temperature above which the ferromagnet doesn't spontaneously magnetise. As you can see, the simulation seems to agree with the analytic prediction, which is good!

The actual code is a neat little templated class that can handle any number of dimensions of grid and different wrapping systems. I've had a play with making it use OpenMP too (though the number of iterations isn't really worth it for the startup time, having done speed comparisons).

edit: Forgot to note that the yellow line is the variance of the energy at equilibrium divided by the temperature squared, which should be the same as the heat capacity according to the fluctuation-dissipation theorem (well, according to the project summary) - and turns out to be for this model! (which is nice.)

vvv 'Cuz there's something wrong with my smoothing utility, initial conditions issue I think, need to fix that.

chips fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 25, 2009

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

chips posted:

Why are the blue and purple lines doubling back?

Smigg
Jan 17, 2006
OY! Keep your fingers out of my soup!

Click here for the full 1118x1170 image.

As comms officer I'm redesigning my American Football team's website.

I've never done one before so it's proving to be quite a challenge, but fun. I'm only on design at the moment (a very early design at that) but been doing all the background reading for Wordpress themes, CSS and the like and am really looking forward to getting stuck in with it. But slow and steady, etc.

Is it just me or is the text the hardest part? For the life of me I cant make a nice header/sponsor text that stands out/looks cool but still looks nice.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

beep, beep. 400,000 multicast packets per second and saturated gigabit. Five-figure switches only, wondering how to acquire a $25k Cisco.

alien8
Jul 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

A program that I've been working on in an attempt to learn rudimentary programming. Written in C#, it's a program for machinists to calculate dimensions required to accurately measure tapers using precision hardened & ground balls.

I'd eventually like to make a complete "Machinist's Toolbox" with all of the calculations required for a machinist to do their job in one program, but for now this is a good start. It's also made me wish their was a "C# questions that don't deserve their own thread" thread.

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

alien8 posted:

It's also made me wish their was a "C# questions that don't deserve their own thread" thread.

There is a .NET questions thread though..

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

alien8 posted:

It's also made me wish their was a "C# questions that don't deserve their own thread" thread.

You mean like this one, which is linked in the list of megathreads? :)

alien8
Jul 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the links. After poking around in that thread, I realize that perhaps what I really need is something titled more like "Embarrassingly basic and simple programming theory questions that don't deserve their own thread".

Thanks, though - it's added to my growing list of programming resources bookmarks.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Use the general programming questions thread for questions like that.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?
My latest project: OpenTNL + TCOD. I finally got the clients ghosting today!

I can happily WSAD my little named @'s around the screen, and chat. This is only the beginning of a very long road.

Edit: Supplied links to libraries.

Azazel fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 27, 2009

terminatusx
Jan 27, 2009

Azazel posted:

I can happily WSAD my little named @'s around the screen, and chat. This is only the beginning of a very long road.

Cool stuff, sir. I very much like the idea of a multiplayer roguelike that maintains the ascii look. and after looking over some of the features, it seems TCOD can add some cool effects and a lot more vibrance to the "console" look. keep on keepin on

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Azazel posted:

What's the little red lock looking circle thing in the upper right corner of your menu bar?

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
frtplot is a plotting program not entirely unlike gnuplot, but it's a lot more interactive, and it can display real-time data. Got a little more time to develop it lately, since we realized we can use it at work...

Here we're using it to compare profiling results before/after modifying the code for an industrial simulator (had to censor the function names because.. the usual):

(Images are from the sourceforge project site... hopefully that doesn't constitute leeching)

Also wrote a new SDL GUI toolkit for it from scratch. Wonder if that was a wise thing to do, but it has automatic layouting (a bit like in GTK), and is written in C - looks like all other GUI toolkits for SDL are written in C++ for some reason :v:

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

Boner Wad posted:

What's the little red lock looking circle thing in the upper right corner of your menu bar?

http://www.viscosityvpn.com/

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
I wanted to have a play with Objective-J, and I needed something to create Anaconda Kickstart scripts real quick, so:

Click here for the full 1920x1200 image.

So far its just a pretty GUI, i still have to do all the backend stuff :/

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

I wrote some 2D finite difference time domain code for fun. Surprisingly simple stuff; It only took me half an hour to get going.

Basic double slit diffraction:

Red is the X component of the H field, green the Y, and blue is the E field.

tofufish
Jan 3, 2007
:D

coldfire07 posted:

This looks amazing, Ive been looking for a decent program like this for quite a long time. Anyway for us to keep updated on the updates/release time? Do you have a link to that other manager you were talking about?

Inquisitus
Aug 4, 2006

I have a large barge with a radio antenna on it.

steckles posted:

I wrote some 2D finite difference time domain code for fun. Surprisingly simple stuff; It only took me half an hour to get going.

Basic double slit diffraction:

Red is the X component of the H field, green the Y, and blue is the E field.

Oh god not diffraction slits :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Hmm. Diffraction slits for some, miniature American flags for others!