Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

the posted:

Look, the poo poo is totally sloppy. Only a fool would open up the way that you do. Nobody likes the records that you play, alright? It's just completely whack! Face it!
The gently caress is wrong with my mix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

Dance Move Burglar posted:

It's completely whacked -- face it!

Face it.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

You need more experience, alright? You need to work on your mixing more.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

isnemis posted:

TheWevels mix? Seriously? I like it, can imagine driving along the coast in a convertible blasting that out and living out all my GTA vice city fantasies.

me too!

mr smiley
Feb 27, 2007

PIZZA'S NOT FOR BREAKFAST!!!

jonmitz posted:

I'll start of this thread with a year-end mix I did for 2008.

http://www.awesometownradio.com/jonmitz/mixes/O2008/LaminarFlow_Orbital2008.mp3

Quality: 128kbps
Length: 4:59:47
Size: 274.4 Mb
Genre: Trance

This mix took a lot of time and in the end I wasn't able to reduce it below 60 songs. I was hoping to make it a nice 2 hour mix, but there was just no way. I started with about 400 songs and then got it down tot he current 64. It starts off kind of slow (first 2 hours are all songs under ~132 bpm)

code:
1 Disappear feat. Melissa Mathes - Cliff Coenraad & Thomas 
Hagenbeek Repimp DJ Cor Fijneman 
2 Blue Skies With Linda - Original Mix Glenn Morrison 
3 Sapphire - Adymus Remix Arthur Schmidt 
4 6AM - Kyau & Albert Remix Cressida 
5 Metaverse - Gareth Emery Remix DJ Orkidea 
6 Songless - Boy Hagemann Remix Lange 
7 Ride - Tiesto Remix Cary Brothers 
8 Deadline - Original Mix Cramp 
9 Reason To Forgive - The Blizzard Remix Tenishia, Kirsty Hawkh 
10 Shana - Plastic Angel & Dunderstadt Vocal Mix Mr. Pit 
11 Don't Belong feat. Leah - Phynn Remix Andy Duguid 
12 The White Socrates - Original Mix DJ Cor Fijneman 
13 Monique - Robert Burian Remix Sundriver, Adam Stodk 
14 Walk Away feat. Jaren - Lange Remix Matt Cerf, Evelio 
15 Vampire feat. Carrie Skipper - Gareth Emery's Garuda Remix Myon Shane 54 
16 Unforgivable feat. Jaren - Extended Mix Armin Van Buuren 
17 Tears Behind Sunglasses - Original Mix Progresia 
18 Turning Point feat. Kelly Malbasa - Soha & Adam K Vocal 
Remix Diego Donati, Franco A 
19 Runaway feat. Tiff Lacey - Mat Zo Vocal Remix Keenan, Anderson 
20 Time Is Burning feat. Gliss - Original Mix 4Mal 
21 Sakura - Original Mix Cold Blue, Algarve 
22 Undone feat. Sari - Rank 1 Remix Anton Sonin, Amx 
23 Undone feat. Sari - Original Mix Anton Sonin, Amx 
24 Hold Me Now - Original Mix Lemon, Einar K 
25 Out Of The Sky feat. Sarah Howells - Kyau & Albert Mix Lange 
26 Love Calls feat. Kirsty Hawkshaw - Original Mix Headstrong aka Don Ja 
27 Don't Wake Me Up feat. Inger Hansen - San Antonio Harbour 
Mix DJ Shah 
28 All The Way - Original Mix Ronski Speed 
29 Mayan Sun - Josh Henriquez & Raver Remix Quillroader, Tokugawa 
30 Inner Voice - Dub Mix Stoneface & Terminal 
31 I Believe - Gareth Emery Remix Meighan Nealon, Ashle 
32 The Last Time - Duderstadt Remix The Thrillseekers 
33 Strawberry Fields - Original Mix Estiva
33 Strawberry Fields - Original Mix Estiva 
34 Albion - Original Mix Myon 
35 Fallin Backwards feat. Aruna - Duderstadt Uplifting Remix George Acosta 
36 Perfect - Agnelli & Nelson Remix Markus Schulz 
37 Let It Flow feat. Marcia Juell - Gareth Emery Remix Bartlett Bros 
38 Nothing Left Between Us feat. Senadee - Original Mix John Askew 
39 Off The World - Gareth Emery Remix Martin Roth, Alex Bartle 
40 Mustang - Original Mix W&W 
41 Phoria - Elevation Remix Majai 
42 Close My Eyes - Original Mix C-Systems 
43 Platitude - Will Holland Remix Onova 
44 Sal Y Mar - Original Mix Alex Hentze, Sundown, 
Motion 
45 Touch The Sun feat. Anthya - Duende Vocal Remix Alex Bartlett 
46 Turn It On feat. Michelle Citrin - Original Mix Woody Van Eyden, Alex 
47 5th Dimension feat. Justine Suissa - Daniel Kandi Bangin Mix Masters, Nickson 
48 Deep Psychosis - Daniel Kandi's Cure Mix Luke Warner, Mat Lock 
49 No Inbetween feat. Naama Hillman - John O'Callaghan 
Remix Talla 2XLC 
50 Lital - Daniel Kandi Remix Maor Levi 
51 Please Don't Go - Greg Downey Remix Sean Tyas 
52 Nyctalopia - Onova Remix Andy Blueman 
53 Summer Blush - Aly & Fila Rework Mungo 
54 Back To Love - Dave202 Remix Pulsedriver, Stormchas 
55 Say The Words feat. Senadee - Aly And Fila Mix Ben Gold 
56 Shine On - Activa Remix Filo, Peri, Eric Lumiere 
57 Louvre - Original Mix Dave202 
58 Liberate - Paul Miller Remix Robert Nickson, Daniel 
59 Lost Language - Original Mix Aly & Fila 
60 No More Alone feat. Stephen Pickup - John O'Callaghan 
Remix Giuseppe Ottaviani 
61 Fade To Black - Original Mix John Askew 
62 Tripmunch - Original Mix Ajja 
63 Defractal - Zion Remix Hujaboy 
64 Forces Of The Future - Original Mix Burn In Noise

ok man im going to be critical about this but dont get me wrong, i have listened to the first hour and it was good in my opinion, but there are quite a few things you can improve on. will give you one or two examples

the mix into 6am was verging on a good idea but the keys are horribly clashing to an almost cringeworthy point, id consider changing the key. the metaverse mix i seem to have a gripe with aswell, it only has a 16 bar intro and id reconsider bringing it in a bit later and just droppping it in when the main beat drops at the 17th bar Check out my mix of it a couple of pages back see what you think
Loved the mix out but id consider checking your levels to make the vocals more prominent

You have the creativity to become an amazing dj but your technique needs alot of work, keep posting your mixes on here, been enjoying this one so far
oh yeah one more thing, the sound seems to get a bit grainy on my mp3 player, id consider recording it with the master volume a bit lower next time

loved your choice of tracks too, been some of the biggest tunes of 2008 for me too ,guessing your a markus schulz fan

While im here i might aswell post a short mix i did on wednesday at a club near where i live

http://rapidshare.com/files/213865838/chris_w___the_bedroom_25_03_09.mp3

1.moussa clarke - she wants him (blake jarrells panty dropper mix)
2.the truth- headstrong
3.energy 52- cafe del mar (deadmau5 remix)
4.monogato - miami vibe
5.mr sam -cygnes
6.element one - guanacaste (matt zo remix)
7.heatbeat- paradise garage
8.lemon &einar- anticipation

mr smiley fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 30, 2009

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

mr smiley posted:

the mix into 6am was verging on a good idea but the keys are horribly clashing to an almost cringeworthy point, id consider changing the key.
I hope you're aware that "changing the key" isn't possible on most DJ setups.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

mr smiley posted:

ok man im going to be critical about this but dont get me wrong, i have listened to the first hour and it was good in my opinion, but there are quite a few things you can improve on. will give you one or two examples

the mix into 6am was verging on a good idea but the keys are horribly clashing to an almost cringeworthy point, id consider changing the key. the metaverse mix i seem to have a gripe with aswell, it only has a 16 bar intro and id reconsider bringing it in a bit later and just droppping it in when the main beat drops at the 17th bar Check out my mix of it a couple of pages back see what you think
Loved the mix out but id consider checking your levels to make the vocals more prominent

You have the creativity to become an amazing dj but your technique needs alot of work, keep posting your mixes on here, been enjoying this one so far
oh yeah one more thing, the sound seems to get a bit grainy on my mp3 player, id consider recording it with the master volume a bit lower next time

loved your choice of tracks too, been some of the biggest tunes of 2008 for me too ,guessing your a markus schulz fan

there is no way this is serious.

FIrst of all I want to point out the mix is around 95% in key (I have the keys written down for all of my songs).

As for my levels, as far as I'm concerned they are fine, in a five hour mix you're going to have a few blips here and there.
I spent so much time in the past setting up everything on my computer's input (I use audio hijack pro in case anyone is interested - it basically has a 10x10 rack for effects and gains/eqs and other nice stuff), it also monitors both the RMS input and peak input, and it's set up so it never clips, so any "vocal" volume problems you've had were either with whatever equalizer you had set up on your mp3 (if you did), the fact that you use some lovely headphones or a lovely mp4 player, or the track itself wasn't mastered well enough for your golden ear.

Once I'm done recording the mix I do some post processing to any other minor problems that I find.

I honestly think you listened to my mix and tried to find a problem, so you did in your own mind.

For the record I'm not a Markus fan - I'm going to assume that his year-end mix shared a lot of tracks with mine or something since you brought it up. I just want to point out that all these tracks were 100% selected by me, I don't use DJ charts or DJ mixes to choose my songs.

quote:

While im here i might aswell post a short mix i did on wednesday at a club near where i live

http://rapidshare.com/files/2138658...om_25_03_09.mp3

1.moussa clarke - she wants him (blake jarrells panty dropper mix)
2.the truth- headstrong
3.energy 52- cafe del mar (deadmau5 remix)
4.monogato - miami vibe
5.mr sam -cygnes
6.element one - guanacaste (matt zo remix)
7.heatbeat- paradise garage
8.lemon &einar- anticipation

First of all, just my reading the tracklist I can tell you this is something I wouldnt normally download, simply because half the tracks arent even from 2009 (by my count it is 5? - it could be higher, I'm not going to look all the tracks up).

I can see that it is a liveset - so in the future you should try a but harder to make a competitive set (in (at least) two ways):

1. You average just over 6 minutes per song, which is absurd for a live set - in the future I'd recommend practicing mixing faster, and no, it isn't easy. In comparison most of my mixes are around 3-4 minutes per song so it doesn't ever drag on or get boring - for example that 5 hour mix you replied to is about 4 and a half minutes per song - in a 5 HOUR mix.

2. You simply need to play more new tracks. You can't say "well it's a liveset." It's okay to drop an old or a classic song every now and then, but when over half of the songs you're playing are old (and by old I don't mean classics (songs people would recognize) - they're simply just old tracks that arent especially groundbreaking or exciting) you're simply not doing your job as a DJ.

Your mixing is really slow, and you don't really do anything interesting (only intro/outro mixing). When you only mix intros and ourtros it doesnt even matter if the tracks are in key. Your beatmatching is acceptable, not particularly good. That's about all I have to say - if you were a DJ in a club here I probably would have left the room not too long after you went on.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

jonmitz posted:

FIrst of all I want to point out the mix is around 95% in key (I have the keys written down for all of my songs).

As for my levels, as far as I'm concerned they are fine, in a five hour mix you're going to have a few blips here and there.
I spent so much time in the past setting up everything on my computer's input (I use audio hijack pro in case anyone is interested - it basically has a 10x10 rack for effects and gains/eqs and other nice stuff), it also monitors both the RMS input and peak input, and it's set up so it never clips, so any "vocal" volume problems you've had were either with whatever equalizer you had set up on your mp3 (if you did), the fact that you use some lovely headphones or a lovely mp4 player, or the track itself wasn't mastered well enough for your golden ear.

Once I'm done recording the mix I do some post processing to any other minor problems that I find.

I honestly think you listened to my mix and tried to find a problem, so you did in your own mind.

For the record I'm not a Markus fan - I'm going to assume that his year-end mix shared a lot of tracks with mine or something since you brought it up. I just want to point out that all these tracks were 100% selected by me, I don't use DJ charts or DJ mixes to choose my songs.

First of all, just my reading the tracklist I can tell you this is something I wouldnt normally download, simply because half the tracks arent even from 2009 (by my count it is 5? - it could be higher, I'm not going to look all the tracks up).

I can see that it is a liveset - so in the future you should try a but harder to make a competitive set (in (at least) two ways):

1. You average just over 6 minutes per song, which is absurd for a live set - in the future I'd recommend practicing mixing faster, and no, it isn't easy. In comparison most of my mixes are around 3-4 minutes per song so it doesn't ever drag on or get boring - for example that 5 hour mix you replied to is about 4 and a half minutes per song - in a 5 HOUR mix.

2. You simply need to play more new tracks. You can't say "well it's a liveset." It's okay to drop an old or a classic song every now and then, but when over half of the songs you're playing are old (and by old I don't mean classics (songs people would recognize) - they're simply just old tracks that arent especially groundbreaking or exciting) you're simply not doing your job as a DJ.

Your mixing is really slow, and you don't really do anything interesting (only intro/outro mixing). When you only mix intros and ourtros it doesnt even matter if the tracks are in key. Your beatmatching is acceptable, not particularly good. That's about all I have to say - if you were a DJ in a club here I probably would have left the room not too long after you went on.

dont take critiquing very well, do ya buddy?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Threatis posted:

dont take critiquing very well, do ya buddy?

I don't take bullshit well. Point out one good criticism he had.

e: if anything this should stand as an example for others as to what is bad/unhelpful/:downs: criticism (mr smiley) and what is good (my post)

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 30, 2009

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

jonmitz posted:

e: if anything this should stand as an example for others as to what is bad/unhelpful/:downs: criticism (mr smiley) and what is good (my post)

he offered really valuable help, and you got all testy.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
I completely disagree with the idea that most of the tracks you play should be from the past year. I try to be as release date-blind with my mixes as I possibly can, although I'll definitely try to throw in a recently-released track that I think people might not have heard yet.

Lots of people go to parties hoping to hear their favorite track and it's pretty likely that their favorite track is at least a year or two old.

Also, there are a lot of tracks from the past that are very good but for whatever reason never really stuck in people's minds as a classic. It's pretty satisfying when someone says "Hey that track was awesome! Is it unreleased?" And you reply "No, in fact it's ten years old"

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

why the gently caress does anyone put that much thought into it?

here's what you do:

- fill your crate with songs you like.
- play them.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Threatis posted:

here's what you do:

- play them.

forget it threatis, it's trance

Click here for the full 799x343 image.

mingster
Feb 1, 2004

the man who sold the world

jonmitz posted:

hahahaha are you serious

i don't necessarily agree with his criticism but dude chill out

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

and you'll never get that opening spot for digweed with that kinda attitude!

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

wait, caught a few more things here:

jonmitz posted:

A. you use a 10x10 for mainroom trance, you master your mixes, you run post processing, then drop it to 128 kbps for download?? who's full of poo poo now?

B. new tracks? really? thats your tightest complaint? lame. I didn't listen to either of your mixes to be honest, because i find that type of music a giant loving snorefest, but "new" doesn't seem to mean "different" in either of your respective genre's.

C. dude, you're giving him poo poo as a dj for mixing? and only after the fact that he gave you a bit of poo poo? sooooouuuurrrr grapes. i do some mixes that only last 30 seconds and i slap out of them, i still don't think that makes someone a bad dj. Not everyone has gotta rinse it out for 15 loving minutes.

D. Lastly:

Stay classy Jonmitz.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
this argument should really end immediately

edit: jonmitz was acting like an idiot but c'mon, this thread gets derailed often enough as it is

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 31, 2009

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
ahahahahahaha

oh man

edit: yes end it now before someone gets hurt!

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 31, 2009

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Here's my mix I did on the college radio station earlier this month.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/57949914bf714101/

Ace Ventura vs Lish - The Light (Bluetech's Dancing in the Shadow Remix)
Kuba - Let Go
Astrix - Touched
Shulman - Mia Nihta Mono Den Ftan
Shpongle - Molecular Superstructure
Younger Brother - Scanner
Life Force - Dreamland (Jak Jaxon Tech Remix)
Duckbeats - Modern House is Rubbish
Yankee Zulu - Bullfrog (Original Mix)
Trentemoller - African People
Ace Ventura - R.I.S.E. (Rocky Remix)
Vibrasphere - Vertical
Shpongle - Divine Moments of Truth (Remix)

E: link fixed

Ben and Stew fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 31, 2009

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Vernacular posted:

this argument should really end immediately

edit: jonmitz was acting like an idiot but c'mon, this thread gets derailed often enough as it is

I wouldn't mind an explanation of who he goes through all that trouble, then drops it to a poo poo quality level.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I wasn't going to reply since I made my point, but I'll answer Threatis's question since he seems so excited to hear it

Threatis posted:

I wouldn't mind an explanation of who he goes through all that trouble, then drops it to a poo poo quality level.
I'll help you out with what I said in my original post:

jonmitz posted:

it basically has a 10x10 rack for effects and gains/eqs and other nice stuff), it also monitors both the RMS input and peak input, and it's set up so it never clips

Go ahead and point out where I said I use it for quality. also it's not too much trouble to click the mouse a few times and adjust some gains so they match up with your mixer

To answer the second part of your question, I definitely dont "master" my mixes, whatever the gently caress that means (I don't know where you got that from - mastering isn't for a dj mix). And I'm not going to go into what I do post processing because it isn't important and it's really only for myself - things you wouldn't notice even if I didn't change them.

quote:

D. Lastly:
Oh look, a normal looking guy with two normal looking girls at a normal halloween party! You should definitely send that to goons.jpg as soon as you get a break from perfecting your next 'unicorn hugz!!1!" mix!

quote:

here's what you do:

- play them.

A DJ maser has been arisen by god himself :worship:

you have an extremely pretentious attitude about mixing, and music in general. stay classy, threatis

this is over now, don't poo poo up the thread any more. if you still want to be a moron feel free to send me a PM

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Ben and Stew posted:

Here's my mix I did on the college radio station earlier this month.

http://www.zshare.net/audi..o/57949914bf714101/

Ace Ventura vs Lish - The Light (Bluetech's Dancing in the Shadow Remix)
Kuba - Let Go
Astrix - Touched
Shulman - Mia Nihta Mono Den Ftan
Shpongle - Molecular Superstructure
Younger Brother - Scanner
Life Force - Dreamland (Jak Jaxon Tech Remix)
Duckbeats - Modern House is Rubbish
Yankee Zulu - Bullfrog (Original Mix)
Trentemoller - African People
Ace Ventura - R.I.S.E. (Rocky Remix)
Vibrasphere - Vertical
Shpongle - Divine Moments of Truth (Remix)

Can you upload it again? the link doesn't work for me - it just redirects to the main page

vv it's over, no more posts please vv

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 31, 2009

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Guys, cut it out, let's all have a big plur hug

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Threatis posted:

A. you use a 10x10 for mainroom trance, you master your mixes, you run post processing, then drop it to 128 kbps for download?? who's full of poo poo now?

There's a filesize limit because I'm hosting other DJs. Bandwidth ain't cheap!

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
lol @ dis

Also, if anyone cares, I'm a lazy lazy man and haven't made a mix in a while but as soon as my Xone:22 comes out I'll do another one full of delicious new tracks

EDIT: I'm actually not sure if it's out yet or not! This needs some investigation...

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Altoidss posted:

Also, if anyone cares, I'm a lazy lazy man and haven't made a mix in a while but as soon as my Xone:22 comes out I'll do another one full of delicious new tracks

Let me know how that mixer is, looks really nice. I love the xone filters, but the bigger models just cost too much

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

jonmitz posted:

you have an extremely pretentious attitude about mixing, and music in general. stay classy, threatis
I don't think I'd label Threatis as pretentious, he's got like the least pretentious attitude towards djing I've ever heard. Dude has been djing for like a decade and knows how to but allows himself to be seen in the club with one of those vc-100s and a laptop. And his attitude is "spin records, gently caress all these made up rules". I don't think that is pretentious or pompous.

If you wanna drop it, that's all good and I'm sorry, but couldn't we have a place for DJs to shoot the poo poo and discuss the craft bluntly AND have their mixes ignored? I mean, there are people with wildly different DJing philosophies, and I see people say stuff in here that is out of control and just does not vibe with my attitude towards music at all. Can't we dialogue about poo poo like that?

And I feel you and other people if they don't feel like this is the place for harsh crits or big differences in opinion. I definitely see how that could stifle the gently caress out of this thread, but it can't JUST be a place for us to pat eachother on the back, right?

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

jonmitz posted:

Can you upload it again? the link doesn't work for me - it just redirects to the main page

vv it's over, no more posts please vv

Ok fixed the link in the OP

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

ManoliIsFat posted:

And I feel you and other people if they don't feel like this is the place for harsh crits or big differences in opinion. I definitely see how that could stifle the gently caress out of this thread, but it can't JUST be a place for us to pat eachother on the back, right?

I think anyone who uploads their mix to the internet should be prepared to be harshly criticized. That counts for me as much as everyone else. If we turn this into a circlejerk instead of honest criticism it will be bad for all of us as DJs.

mr smiley
Feb 27, 2007

PIZZA'S NOT FOR BREAKFAST!!!
jonmitz

i was going to break down your poo poo storm of bitter ranting into a point by point analysis but im just going to rise above it, i didnt post here to start arguing i just wanted to have some discussions with some more experienced djs and maybe get some advice.
Its safe to say i wont be taking any of yours and all i can say is i hope you treat club owners with a bit more respect than you do your fellow djs or your career will be a very short one
I know my mixing is very stop/pitch/start but this was my first ever live show so thanks for the boost in confidence.

oh and one thing

quote:

i never insinuated you did, i just noticed youd chosen alot of songs that have appeared in his sets over the past year and thought you might be a fan. You have some serious issues with your conversational skills mate

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Guys, cut it out, let's all have a big plur hug

PLUR!

Now theres a term that needs resurrection!

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

PLUR!

Now theres a term that needs resurrection!
You can only ressurect things that died :colbert:

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
Here's a rough draft of what will eventually be one of my psytrance demos. I just installed mixmeister and holy god is this fun and easy to use. The best part is that I think it's even feasible to do real-time sets with since you can edit the arrangement and automation while it's playing.

Shiranui - Morning mix first draft
Length: 0:46:52
Quality: 192 kbps
Size: 64 Megabytes
Software used: Mixmeister

http://soda.berkeley.edu/~rfm/morning.mp3

Tracklist:

1. Son Kite - Game & Watch
2. Plasmotek - Bubble Boy
3. Goe vs Enertopia - Jupiter Beach
4. Astral Projection - Nilaya (Melicia remix)
5. Artifact 303 - Energy Waves (Positive mix)
6. Astrix - Techno Widows
7. Ajja - Peripheral Visions
8. Mumbo Jumbo - Weird, Sick and Twisted (Cosmosis mix)

Starts with some very uplifting progressive and some "gently caress yeah" fullon, then halfway through switches to deeper psychedelic stuff. The final version of this mix will have a couple more tracks at the beginning (notice the key clash between the first two tracks--I want to start with the son kite track but I'll need some more tracks between it and the next one), as well as a track that I wanted to put on the end but need to find a better copy of (I currently only have a crappy vinyl rip of it).

I like how the mix sounds, but what do you guys think? Does it flow well?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

You can only ressurect things that died :colbert:

look around kid

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

look around kid
Who are you calling "kid"?

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006
That "Don't Worry, I'm Yours" mashup guy.

(Formerly known as "that Half-Life 2 remix guy.")

Fatboy Slim posted:

Drop the hate! Forgive each other!

It's been too long since I posted a mix. Here's one I did for an 2009 East Coast Music Awards (ECMA) Radio segment called "Sound art? Sounds eclectic..." back in February. It's just under a half-hour, and it's the "polished" version (meaning they didn't record and host the live mix I did on-air, but instead used the backup CD mix I recorded beforehand). Oh well, you still get the basic idea (minus a lot of the effects I improvised while on air).

DJ Dain - "Sound art? Sounds eclectic..." Live Set. Feb. 24, 2009 ECMA Radio 100.1 FM
Genre(s)/Style(s): Mash-up/Electro
Length: 0:25:41
Quality: 320 kbps
Size: 63.8 Megabytes
Software used: Ableton Live 7

Download Link

Tracklist:

1. DJ Dain - Hustlin Baba O'Reilly (The Who & SebastiAn vs. Rick Ross)
2. DJ Dain - Stand Up for the Poor (One More Time) (Daft Punk & Laidback Luke vs. Ludacris vs. M.I.A.)
3. DJ Dain - Dirrty Ghosts Get The Party Started (Deadmau5 vs. Christina Aguilera & Method Man vs. Pink)
4. DJ Dain - Sometimes We Let It Rock (Les Rhythmes Digitales & Computer Club vs. Kevin Rudolf ft. Lil Wayne)
5. DJ Dain vs. Soulwax(?) - Eleanor Rigby's Dance Tour (The Beatles vs. Kraftwerk vs. Lady Gaga Feat. Colby O'Donis)

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

look around kid

I am a kid but PLUR sure doesn't seem dead to me, it just looks like this now.

Second, I am (secretly) a huge psytrance fan so thanks for that mix dmb

Third, I have looked around all day and I still have no idea if the Xone:22 is released yet or not... and if so where I can buy one in LA? Turntable Lab and Guitar Center both don't stock em, and those are the only places I really know to look.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Altoidss posted:

Second, I am (secretly) a huge psytrance fan so thanks for that mix dmb
Just call me mmmmmmmmISTER bubble!

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Altoidss posted:

Third, I have looked around all day and I still have no idea if the Xone:22 is released yet or not... and if so where I can buy one in LA? Turntable Lab and Guitar Center both don't stock em, and those are the only places I really know to look.

American Music & Sound

5304 Derry Avenue #C

Agoura Hills, CA 91301

tel: 800-431-2609

e: they are the only authorized distributer in the US apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I'm doing an internet radio show tonight, 7pm PST

http://www.sosimplerecords.com/ssss.php

techno n house, house n techno

I'll try and have some kind of live link to send requests and comments as it comes up.

• Locked thread