Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kdc67 posted:

Alright already what's your name on the GSR? You seem to have an.. interesting perspective on them. A lot of people "sign" their posts there.

One guy signed his post by typing and had his name in the added signature in addition to his obvious username. Well, this is what it's like browsing any forum that isn't SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

There's really two sizes of GS. The GStwins: 250, 300, 400, 425, 450, 500. And the four cylinder bikes: GS550, 650, 750, 850, 1000, 1100, and 1150. I'll drag out the bikes this weekend for comparison shots. Honda has a similar situation. Their parallel twin bikes are about the same size as the GS twins. And their 4 cylinder bikes are much larger. I think kawasaki's twins are larger.

Okay, the guy on eBay with the GS450 can't store it for me until I move in May. Unforunately, the auction closes Sunday night, but were it Sunday during the day I'd be able to go pick it up since I have a meeting in DC on Monday and fly in Sunday. But I don't want to get out at 5PM on Mon-Wed, and try to dash three hours up to him, get the bike, and ride an unfamiliar bike back to DC on an unfamiliar route in the dark with a meeting the next morning. It'd all just be too complicated.

On the bright side, I think all this advice has given me a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for

-UJM twin from Kawasaki or Honda, so GS/CB 350/400/440/450/500

I figure if I keep my eye out for one a week or two before I move, I should be able to find a decent one on CL or eBay. Plus even if it doesn't pan out immediately, there are tons of Tomos mopeds on DC/NoVA CL, so I can probably get a 'ped to sooth my itch for a few weeks, and then once I get the biek I'll have my choice of rides daily.

Iniquitous
May 21, 2001
I POST
BEFORE
I THINK
^^TTFA: I'm living in DC until the end of July--when are you moving?

Checking out a Ninja 500: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/1094700029.html

Looks pretty good. It's priced below blue book value. Emailed the guy asking for some background on the bike. I'll probably go look at it this weekend after I go pick up a helmet, jacket, and pants (already have boots and gloves).

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Iniquitous posted:

Checking out a Ninja 500: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/1094700029.html

Looks pretty good. It's priced below blue book value. Emailed the guy asking for some background on the bike. I'll probably go look at it this weekend after I go pick up a helmet, jacket, and pants (already have boots and gloves).

Ask him if its gotten its 20k mile maintenance because if I remember correctly, it cost me a couple hundred bucks because they check your valves and everything like that.

I'd bet this time of year he probably only got a few offers around 1500 for it, so I'd try and play alittle hardball with him. If it hasn't had its 20k mile maintenance yet then I personally wouldn't pay more than 1800 for it to even out the price. But I'm a cheap rear end.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Simkin posted:

Oh, look, it's a GS450. I wonder if you can still find parts for that...
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1092448718.html

Here's another 80s Suzuki UJM, but it's not a GS. :monocle:
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1085388540.html
The GS's all have most of the parts still available. Yes, you can get parts for that 450. The GR650 was the testbed for the GSXR motors. Yes, suzuki used a cruiser to test all the technology for the new GSXR.

Iniquitous
May 21, 2001
I POST
BEFORE
I THINK

Trintintin posted:

Ask him if its gotten its 20k mile maintenance because if I remember correctly, it cost me a couple hundred bucks because they check your valves and everything like that.

I'd bet this time of year he probably only got a few offers around 1500 for it, so I'd try and play alittle hardball with him. If it hasn't had its 20k mile maintenance yet then I personally wouldn't pay more than 1800 for it to even out the price. But I'm a cheap rear end.
Hah. Shortly after you say that: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/1094984905.html
Same price, different color, lower mileage, looks like it's been laid down once.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Nerobro posted:

The GS's all have most of the parts still available. Yes, you can get parts for that 450. The GR650 was the testbed for the GSXR motors. Yes, suzuki used a cruiser to test all the technology for the new GSXR.

Oh, come on Nerobro, don't tell me that your sarcasm detector is that broken.

I honestly had no idea about the GR, though. TTFA, what do you have against that bike? It fits your needs, looks to be in really nice shape, and won't involve you driving 3 hours to pick it up...

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

kdc67 posted:

Alright already what's your name on the GSR? You seem to have an.. interesting perspective on them. A lot of people "sign" their posts there.

Define interesting perspective? Are you referring to GSR or GS's in general? I know a lot of people sign their names over there, but man BassCliffs is over the top!

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

CoolBlue posted:

Define interesting perspective? Are you referring to GSR or GS's in general? I know a lot of people sign their names over there, but man BassCliffs is over the top!

Thank you for your indulgence, for your upmost concentration whereupon you found my post, where you disregarded other personal responsibilities to scavenge such information that I have brought forth, for your comprehensive reading of thyn post, and for your upmost dedication to the further studies of GS's alike

BassCliff

In all seriousness, GSR rocks. I reposted a couple threads on stuff I wasn't 100% sure of in my own thread here just to get some different answers from some other people familiar with the bike (I trust you guys I swear!) and they've usually been really helpful.

Edit: And the signature/avatar thing isn't really that much different than a lot of other forums. Plus they seem really mature there. Definite asset if you have a GS.

MrZig fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 28, 2009

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

The only thing that drives me nuts about the GSR is if I'm logged in the posts go backwards (most recent first, down to OP). I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or it's supposed to be like this but it drives me nuts.
The avatars and signing of posts I can forgive. It's not SA, but it's not nearly as bad as a lot of other sites.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Bugdrvr posted:

The only thing that drives me nuts about the GSR is if I'm logged in the posts go backwards (most recent first, down to OP). I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or it's supposed to be like this but it drives me nuts.
The avatars and signing of posts I can forgive. It's not SA, but it's not nearly as bad as a lot of other sites.

I had that too. Go to your user CP options and under "Thread Display Mode" change it to "Linear - Show oldest first"

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

AH! Excellent! That did the trick.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Nerobro posted:

UJM's became todays sportbikes, sport tourers, and cruisers. The whole breed took two different paths. One half went chasing harley, the other half went chasing corners.

Thats what makes them so interesting. The Japanese were really trying hard to create a supremely capable bike that would be at home in twisties and still be comfortable for cruising. My recent experience riding my KZ650 now that its finished is that they did a really good job of this depending on the model.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

8ender posted:

Thats what makes them so interesting. The Japanese were really trying hard to create a supremely capable bike that would be at home in twisties and still be comfortable for cruising. My recent experience riding my KZ650 now that its finished is that they did a really good job of this depending on the model.

Yeah, I just don't dig cruisers, partially because they're so popular currently. And not really into sporters since I don't care for the look, and the posture seems less comfortable and with less ability to enjoy the view and keep an eye on traffic. That said, naked sporters (or whatever) like cafe racers or the Thruxton are pretty awesome.

If I find a good deal on a cafe racer type bike, I'll be tempted, but otherwise will be keeping an eye out for a UJM.

EDIT: Well, here's a UJM gone caff:

CB550, but that guy's 6'3", so I imagine it'd fit me better.

EDIT: Alternately I could keep my motorbike plain UJM, and just cafe-up the moped I intend to buy:

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 28, 2009

DiscoKid
May 25, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Nerobro posted:

63,000 miles isn't a lot of miles for a GS. Not even ballpark "a lot." I got my 1980 GS550E with 60k+ on it, and it didn't even need swingarm or wheel bearings yet.

A GS1000 has roughly 90hp. And torque like you wouldn't believe.

That's also a highly desirable "skunk" GS. The black with white side stripes is uncommon, and somewhat collectible.

The seat is called a "king-queen" seat. Find a stock seat, they go for $40-80 on ebay.

A grand is about right for that bike. Especially with the new ignition system on it.

If you or anyone cares:

Today I went to the guy's house to ask about the bike. It's bigger than I expected, and I liked the way it fit me. It started beautifully and ran like a mother.

However, neither the tach or speedo worked, and the wheels have only this summer left on them. The paint around the gas cap was flush but flaked, not very pretty, but nothing I'd cry home about, as it's my first bike.

The bike appears spotless aside from what I mentioned, and he will fix both the tach and sped if I'm willing to pay him $1100 rather than the $990 I offered.

Frankly, the bike is gorgeous and just what I want. I'm looking for nay-sayers at this point. Tell me how bad I suck.

edit: the bike in question: http://greenbay.craigslist.org/mcy/1090684886.html

DiscoKid fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 28, 2009

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Y

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry, so I'll do both and report back later.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Simkin posted:

Oh, come on Nerobro, don't tell me that your sarcasm detector is that broken.
When my sarcasam detector throws a false negative it throws a doozey. :-)

MrZig posted:

In all seriousness, GSR rocks. I reposted a couple threads on stuff I wasn't 100% sure of in my own thread here just to get some different answers from some other people familiar with the bike (I trust you guys I swear!) and they've usually been really helpful.

Edit: And the signature/avatar thing isn't really that much different than a lot of other forums. Plus they seem really mature there. Definite asset if you have a GS.
They were my first experience with an owners group beyond the festiva mailing list. I got the impression all bikes had such a following. As I expanded the bikes I had.. I discovered that even popular bikes didn't have quite the dedicated following. The fact that the average GSer is in his or her 30's helps a lot.

That's where I learned all my stuff. My entire foothold in motorcycles was due to people on that forum. FirstTimer, EarlFor, JoeNardy... They showed me the ropes. I'm yet to meet someone from the forum that gives me the willies.

EDIT: Alternately I could keep my motorbike plain UJM, and just cafe-up the moped I intend to buy:

First off, UJM is an insulting term for a Japanese standard. EVERYTHING was a standard if you go back far enough. To take a Japanese bike and make it into a cafe racer is 100% kosher. To take a Japanese standard and make it a chopper is just as kosher. UJM is just to specific for what you're trying to say.

Second, that cafe job done to the moped is terrible. Get clip ons, or cafe bars. Don't half rear end it by turning a standard set of bars upside down. When you see stuff like that you're bound to find things like bubble gum wrappers in the fuse holder. You're better than that.

DiscoKid posted:

GS1000, first bike... collectable bike...
I didn't catch this was your first bike. I'll say this again. It's got 90hp. Though instead of a stupid move making a wheelie on a GS, it will light up the back tire. Slightly less dangerous, but it can end in a highside and tears quite quickly. It's definitely worth $1100. That bike was the fastest thing on two wheels when it was released. It still will hold it's own 0-60. (long wheelbase, and low CG helping that..) They're big, as you saw. They're also 630lbs.

I'm not saying you suck. But you will screw up. You will hurt the bike, and yourself.

http://appleton.craigslist.org/mcy/1075430974.html This is a GS550L. But hte owner put on less obnoxious handlebars. 49hp, 110mph.... It's very close to what I learned on. It's also only 480lbs, instead of 630.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Weren't a shitton of drag bikes based off of the engine from the GS1000, or is that the 1100?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Yes. And yes. They're the same motor. The GS1000/1100 bottom end is still the basis of many drag bikes.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Funny, you'd think newer, larger displacement engines would have superseded them by now. Is it just that they're a known quantity, or are they still pretty much the most solid engine to build power out of?

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

CoolBlue posted:

To the GSR. I believe you made some remark about they can be complete tools. I'm not really sure who you've been talking to there. ;) Everyone I've talked to and met (including BassCliff) has been cool, hospitable, and so very friendly to each other. You still didn't answer what your name is there.

To get back to the thread..

DiscoKid posted:

The bike appears spotless aside from what I mentioned, and he will fix both the tach and sped if I'm willing to pay him $1100 rather than the $990 I offered.

Frankly, the bike is gorgeous and just what I want. I'm looking for nay-sayers at this point. Tell me how bad I suck.

edit: the bike in question: http://greenbay.craigslist.org/mcy/1090684886.html

Edit: I just realized this is going to be your first bike. Listen to Nero.

kdc67 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 28, 2009

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Simkin posted:

Funny, you'd think newer, larger displacement engines would have superseded them by now. Is it just that they're a known quantity, or are they still pretty much the most solid engine to build power out of?

The parts are easily available to build them up, IIRC Wiseco makes a 1300cc kit for that motor. Not that many Japanese MC engines have that kind of support and following. If you want bike motorcycle power you grab the GS1000 engine, the Wiseco catalog, say good bye to your fiscal responsibility and hole up in the garage for the winter. You don't have to be the pioneer, which saves a lot of time and money.

edit-I looked it up, you can sleeve a 84-86 GS1100 engine to 1600cc. Try doing that to a wimpy Honda!

Gnomad fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 28, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Simkin posted:

Just to add to what Gnomad is saying: They're massively overbuilt, just like a lot of Japanese bikes from around that time.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Simkin posted:

Like gnomad said. With aftermarket blocks you can have a streetable motor up to 1260cc. If you want to throw streetable to the wind, you can eliminate the air passages between the cylinders and go really big.

The cranks are virtually indestructible. The gearboxes need just minor undercutting to handle whatever power levels you want. The clutches are big enough for a small car. The crankcases don't fail unless a rod breaks.

The Hayabusa is on the same level, strength wise.

Most newer bikes have TINY clutches. Just big enough to handle stock power. They have gears designed to be JUST strong enough. They have crank spacing JUST wide enough to accomadate the stock pistons. All of that makes for smaller, lighter motors.

Basicly, the GS1000/1100/1150 bottom ends have lots of room to gently caress around. They're wildly overbuilt. They're strong. They're big. They're heavy. And they're easy to work on.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Wouldn't it just be easier to try to swap in a much larger displacement engine, and then build power from that? Turbo goldwing motor in a small frame? :v:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Simkin posted:

Wouldn't it just be easier to try to swap in a much larger displacement engine, and then build power from that? Turbo goldwing motor in a small frame? :v:
Why stop there. Doesn't Subaru make some big turbo flat sixes? Oh, how about a V8 swap? I think GM makes some lightweight V8's right?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I think Chrysler won that game. :downs:

But seriously, what about something already ginormous and powerful, like the V-max engine?

BronYrAur
Jan 25, 2007
I am a new rider with no experience and am looking for a bike. I have scoured the used market, forums, ads and everything but it seems the used market contains no Ninjas, Sv's, Katanas or any of the usual stater bikes recommend by this forum. This leaves me considering a 600 super sport of some kind, which are plentiful, or a CBR 125. I am looking for opinions on these options, I am leaning toward the 125 but I think it will be very underwhelming but I do not want a 100+hp bike as I know I will end up in trouble.

Any other options I should be considering or any opinions on what to buy?

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
Where do you live? We can help you search.

BronYrAur
Jan 25, 2007

kdc67 posted:

Where do you live? We can help you search.

Winnipeg, sorry.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

drat, just had a quick boo through the winnipeg CL, and it is pretty spartan. Not much other than snowmobiles, dirtbikes, cruisers, and the odd supersport. Oh, and this.
http://winnipeg.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1072660257.html

It seems like most of the free classified stuff is being run through usedwinnipeg.com instead of CL, so give that a shot. I found this on there, but some people in here may consider it too much for a learner (which it probably is).
http://www.usedwinnipeg.com/classified-ad/6478077

Edit: Yes, we accept your apology for winnipeg. We're sorry for it as well.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
So I bid on that GS450 on eBay Motors, since it was still really low ($560). I bid something like $1700, since that's slightly more than I can sell my current CB250 for, and because that GS is about exactly what I want.

So I bid that, it met Reserve, but I was barely ahead of some other bidder.

Like 20min later the seller calls me and says "Whoops, sorry about that, but this guy came by my house and offered cash on the spot for it, so I sold it to him. I went back to my computer and saw that you'd just bid and met Reserve (obligating him to sell it to me), so can you retract your bid so I can cancel the auction?"

I thought that was a pretty dick move on his part, but I'm about to head out the door a business trip, and didn't feel like loving around with the issue. And I would feel better about buying a CB or GS if I can check it out in person first, so I'll just keep an eye on the market as I get closer to moving to DC in mid-May.

BronYrAur
Jan 25, 2007

Simkin posted:

drat, just had a quick boo through the winnipeg CL, and it is pretty spartan. Not much other than snowmobiles, dirtbikes, cruisers, and the odd supersport. Oh, and this.
http://winnipeg.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1072660257.html

It seems like most of the free classified stuff is being run through usedwinnipeg.com instead of CL, so give that a shot. I found this on there, but some people in here may consider it too much for a learner (which it probably is).
http://www.usedwinnipeg.com/classified-ad/6478077

Edit: Yes, we accept your apology for winnipeg. We're sorry for it as well.

I hadn't seen that Suzuki, it looks not bad I will have to take a look into it. Thanks.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

^^ You're welcome.

Go check this out, if only to appease the seller:
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1097486324.html

quote:

I AM GOING TO LOWER THE PRICE $50 EVERYDAY UNTILL THE PRICE IS SO LOW THAT IT WILL BE MORE FUN TO SET IT ON FIRE AND DANCE AROUND IT THAN SELL IT.

Seriously, though, it looks more or less like what you were looking for. Small(ish) UJM, 4-500cc, no mechanical gremlins, and local.

Also, that GR650 is still for sale. No interest in it?
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1085388540.html

Simkin fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 29, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Simkin posted:

Go check this out, if only to appease the seller:
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1097486324.html

Seriously, though, it looks more or less like what you were looking for. Small(ish) UJM, 4-500cc, no mechanical gremlins, and local.

Right, but the problem is I'm in Austin now and already have a bike, and am moving to DC in May, where I do not have a bike. Buying a second bike in Austin isn't going to help anything.

If I found a bike in Austin that was exactly what I wanted I might consider getting it crated and shipped, since I can fit it into my moving budget my company is giving me. I own almost nothing and they gave me a reimbursable expense allotment I can't possibly use up, so I could conceivably blow $700 or whatever of that on mailing a bike to DC, since it's not my money anyway.

That said, not into cruisers, so I'll keep looking for a standard.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Don't forget to check Kijiji for Winnipeg. Canadians love Kijiji for some reason:

Heres a nice one:
http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-1982-Honda-Nighthawk-650-W0QQAdIdZ116196516

Okay horsepower for an old 650, not too heavy, and it was the last year of the SOHC engines I believe. They were pretty solid engines.

8ender fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 29, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

So I bid on that GS450 on eBay Motors, since it was still really low ($560). I bid something like $1700, since that's slightly more than I can sell my current CB250 for, and because that GS is about exactly what I want.

So I bid that, it met Reserve, but I was barely ahead of some other bidder.

Like 20min later the seller calls me and says "Whoops, sorry about that, but this guy came by my house and offered cash on the spot for it, so I sold it to him. I went back to my computer and saw that you'd just bid and met Reserve (obligating him to sell it to me), so can you retract your bid so I can cancel the auction?"

I thought that was a pretty dick move on his part, but I'm about to head out the door a business trip, and didn't feel like loving around with the issue. And I would feel better about buying a CB or GS if I can check it out in person first, so I'll just keep an eye on the market as I get closer to moving to DC in mid-May.

That's the shadiest loving poo poo ever. Still, there's not much you can do about it, so maybe just call him an idiot and retract your bid? I'm gonna laugh if the other guy's bid is over his reserve. :v:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Z3n posted:

That's the shadiest loving poo poo ever. Still, there's not much you can do about it, so maybe just call him an idiot and retract your bid? I'm gonna laugh if the other guy's bid is over his reserve. :v:

...not only that, I got outbid by another guy right at the end, so now he has to deal with an actual completed auction for $1800, which means eBay automatically deducted their cut as soon as it closed, etc.

In fairness, at least on gun auctions (on other sites) it's not uncommon to see "I'm selling this at my shop, so reserve the right to end this auction if it sells in-store first." However, this guy never mentioned that he was selling it on CL or whatever additionally, and if the in-person buyer found him and messaged him on eBay it's kinda shady to cut eBay out of the deal to save closing fees.

In any case, his problem not mine. Now I just need to be watching for a GS400/450/500 or CB400/450/500 in the DC area around early May. Plus there are tons of Tomos mopeds on DC Craiglist these days, so I'll probably get one of those to zip around on locally as well.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004
Well, I picked up my first bike after reading this thread from start to finish.

1996, 59XX miles, clean as could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Nice! Another GSer. Welcome to the fold.