Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

mrchina posted:

Well, I picked up my first bike after reading this thread from start to finish.

1996, 59XX miles, clean as could be.

That is a NICE looking bike. What model/size is it? 500?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
it's a GS500, all square tube frame GS twins were, and are 500's. That in particular is a GS500E.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I always wondered, as I was roasting my nuts off in the summer, how hard it would be to retrofit an oil cooler to an earlier GS500. The later (2000+ I think) ones all had it from the factory, and I like having that little extra bit of insurance, especially when you get stuck in traffic.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

It's not "that" hard. It's not needed though. The bikes handle cooking in traffic without the oil cooler just fine. they got the oil coolers when they got fairings. Fairings and air cooled bikes don't like to play nice.

Pro-tip, don't install a 2005+ GS500 motor into a pre-2005 frame without the oil cooler. ALL oil in the motor is routed through the cooler, by blocked off passages in the crankcase. Doing so will lead to spun bearings...

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Simkin posted:

I always wondered, as I was roasting my nuts off in the summer, how hard it would be to retrofit an oil cooler to an earlier GS500. The later (2000+ I think) ones all had it from the factory, and I like having that little extra bit of insurance, especially when you get stuck in traffic.

Look around for a retrofit. The old Kaw KZ650s have a few nice retrofit kits for oil coolers floating around and I'm sure there would be something similar for the GS. Most people agree though that they aren't really needed unless you're drag racing or tracking the bike.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I don't see why an oil cooler would be needed drag racing.

There are kits available. But there's two nice places to drill and tap the crankcase on either side of the oil filter which will do nicely for an oil cooler.

other solutions tend to work around the oil pressure sender.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nerobro posted:

I don't see why an oil cooler would be needed drag racing.

There are kits available. But there's two nice places to drill and tap the crankcase on either side of the oil filter which will do nicely for an oil cooler.

other solutions tend to work around the oil pressure sender.

I'd imagine it's because you spend a lot of time idling and at higher RPM without actually moving the bike, during the staging burnout. I know that my SV will go from 185-200 to over 230 in under a minute of sitting idling on the grid or in the hot pit.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

It was just idle speculation, as I no longer have the GS500 - my current air-cooled bike has an oil cooler, so I'm covered there. :)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Okay, still kinda kicking myself on that GS450 for $1800, but I still have 6 weeks until I move to DC to find a bike there, or I can just use my car for a month or two until I find a decent bike.

Question: was the GS425 common enough in the states that it's worth putting into a search engine? Or should I stick to looking for the 400, 450, and 500E (the Standard, from before 500 came to mean a sporter)? The GS440 is an Enduro bike, so I think I'm just looking at 400/450/500E.

Any huge opinions as to whether a Honda CB400/450/500 would be a better vehicle, pound for pound? Off the top of my head, it seems they kept making the CB standards later than Suzuki made the GS standards, so does that increase my odds of finding a non-trashed example for a reasonable price?

Is the GS at all a smaller frame than the CB? They're about the same dry weight, but I was under the vague impression a GS is smaller/lower than a Nighthawk.

EDIT: Even a CB350 still gets 36hp (compared to 40hp for a CB400), which is still almost twice what my CB250 gets. Should a CB350 be decent for commuting (with short interstate stints), urban, and a bit of highway cruising on VA/MD/PA backroads? Or am I still best to hold off for a decent GS450?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VINT...A1%7C240%3A1318

$470 with no reserve and less than two days left, 17k miles on a 1973 CB350, supposedly totally up and running. Or is it total folly, even given seller's assurance of it being road-ready, to try and drive an unknown bike 176 miles back to DC?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 30, 2009

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That looks like a pretty clean bike. I had a 350F which is the four cylinder version of the one you're looking at. That had no problem cruising at highway speeds except really long hills. Then I would end up chugging up at about 60mph. Still not bad. The twins were both lighter and had a few more HP than the four so you may not even have that problem.
The only real problem that I know of on the twins is the cam chain tensioner (it's a Honda, it's got to suck). The rubber rollers will fall apart and to replace them you need to split the case. You can usually hear the rattle when they've failed then you pull the oil pan down to find the remnants of your rollers sitting at the bottom.
As far as driving it almost 200 miles. Well, if it is ready to ride like the seller says, I would have no problem. That's if I trusted the seller.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Okay, still kinda kicking myself on that GS450 for $1800, but I still have 6 weeks until I move to DC to find a bike there, or I can just use my car for a month or two until I find a decent bike.

Question: was the GS425 common enough in the states that it's worth putting into a search engine? Or should I stick to looking for the 400, 450, and 500E (the Standard, from before 500 came to mean a sporter)? The GS440 is an Enduro bike, so I think I'm just looking at 400/450/500E.

Because it says GS, doesn't mean it's a "gs" BMW and Maico have made GS's. The Maico 440 is a great bike, but not what you want ;-)

The GS425 is the GS for 1979. Yes, it's worth looking for 425's. The GS500 didn't get a fairing until 2004-2005. All GS500's are "sporty" bikes with the rectangular tube frames.

If I had to make a choice of whatever GS twin I wanted.. I'd go for a GS425. They've got the classic body style, and a bigger motor.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Right, but the problem is I'm in Austin now and already have a bike, and am moving to DC in May, where I do not have a bike. Buying a second bike in Austin isn't going to help anything.

If I found a bike in Austin that was exactly what I wanted I might consider getting it crated and shipped, since I can fit it into my moving budget my company is giving me. I own almost nothing and they gave me a reimbursable expense allotment I can't possibly use up, so I could conceivably blow $700 or whatever of that on mailing a bike to DC, since it's not my money anyway.

That said, not into cruisers, so I'll keep looking for a standard.

Dude I'll ride the bike you want up to DC and then grab a plane ticket down. Seriously.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
I've been riding for about a year and I'm getting bored with my 81 yamaha xs650. I'm looking at a '77 honda GL1000. They are asking 1600 for it. This is what it says online:

New timing belts, newly reupholstered seat. Runs decent but could use a carburetor synch. Original paint looks better in the pictures than it actually is. Good Tires. Must have class M drivers licence to test ride- I have been burned on this before. Approx 21K miles on the clock. Too large and heavy for me.

Any thoughts?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Great bike. Most likely asking to much money. The GL1000 was the sport tourer of it's day.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
On top of what Nero said, just bear in mind to be careful. According to bikez.com, your Yamaha was putting out 50hp and weighed ~500 lbs. wet. That GL1000 puts out 82hp and weighs 650 lbs. wet. Granted the hp numbers are "new," but still it's enough of a difference.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

kdc67 posted:

On top of what Nero said, just bear in mind to be careful. According to bikez.com, your Yamaha was putting out 50hp and weighed ~500 lbs. wet. That GL1000 puts out 82hp and weighs 650 lbs. wet. Granted the hp numbers are "new," but still it's enough of a difference.

The GL1000 is a big softy though. The power band is very smooth and really the only issue riding one is the weight. Its a heavy bastard and feels heavy riding it.

If he has a year under his belt I'd say go for it. The GL1000 is a great bike.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What do you guys think a 2001 GSXR 1000 would sell for?

Mint condition, basic mods (Yoshimura exhaust, EMS box, ZG screen)

And only 4,800 miles

I personally don't want to offer any more than $4,000, being that it's almost 10 years old, nice shape or not. Am I too far off base?

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
Yes, you are. Blue book's $5,600 for it. Remember a motorcycle being 9 years old is way less significant than a car. 4,800 miles is barely broken in.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

kdc67 posted:

Yes, you are. Blue book's $5,600 for it. Remember a motorcycle being 9 years old is way less significant than a car. 4,800 miles is barely broken in.

No, he's not. Blue book isn't as significant in this market, considering that you can find newer bikes for 5600 with a lot more of the advancements that drive the supersport market. Plus, that's high blue book, and low blue book is 3800. Somewhere in between is typical as a starting range, and considering the economy and everything else, I wouldn't have a problem offering 4k (or even less) for it.

Bikes do age as well, and while I know that you and Nero love your stable of old GSes, modern supersports depreciate very quickly, given how much more advanced a modern GSX-R is to the 01 model. 5600$ should net you a bike made in the last 3-4 years. Hell, there was an 07 R6 going for 5500 here recently. Paying 5600$ would make the sellers day, but would be an utter and complete rip off for you.

Edit:
Stock:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/1091153876.html
If you're looking for a little work/one with a lot of mods:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/1090222017.html
05 1k with fewer miles for 200$ more than "blue book":
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/1100487548.html
03 with warrenty for 4400:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/1089855369.html

And all of these bikes are CA bikes, which has an absurdly inflated market.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 31, 2009

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
I'm also going off of ebay numbers, and again, that mileage isn't near average for a bike that old. One sold in Michigan for $3,500, though that was with damage to the fairings and plastic on the gauge, and had 21k miles. The other went for $5,000 with 13.6k miles in Florida. Sure depreciation, but we are talking about a bike that went for something like $11,000 new.

If that answer's still not acceptable, nyah to you. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

kdc67 posted:

I'm also going off of ebay numbers, and again, that mileage isn't near average for a bike that old. One sold in Michigan for $3,500, though that was with damage to the fairings and plastic on the gauge, and had 21k miles. The other went for $5,000 with 13.6k miles in Florida. Sure depreciation, but we are talking about a bike that went for something like $11,000 new.

If that answer's still not acceptable, nyah to you. :)

Milage, high or low, makes very little difference in the overall cost of most bikes.

Ebay prices also tend to be somewhat more inflated as you're looking at a larger pool of buyers. Furthermore, as you can see from Tap's problems with ebay, a completed auction on ebay doesn't always mean an actual sale. You do know that if you showed up with that amount of cash to a craiglist ad, that you'd get the bike.

I didn't bother listing the 07 with salvage title for 5500, but...seriously, 5600$ for an 01 GSX-R, unless it was a championship winning bike with race mods, is a rip. 4700$ would be "fair value", splitting the difference between the blue books, but given everything else and the overall low desireability of bike at the moment, he's got absolutely nothing to lose by offering 4k, nor is it out of the range of possibility for a sale, even for a nice clean 01.

Also, 8 years but only 4k miles means that it was ridden roughly 500 miles a year...rubber, seals, etc. all like to be used regularly. Him dragging it out once a month for a 40 mile ride isn't exactly the best situation for keeping a bike in top shape.

I'm not saying that he should waltz in and flash 4k and be like "Look dawg, dis is what I gotz aite", but a polite, respectful offer of 4k isn't completely unreasonable.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 31, 2009

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Here's an 01 with almost 15,000 miles on it. Over a day left and the bidding is at $5,600

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001...A1%7C240%3A1318

Someone will probably come along and offer a similar amount for the one I'm looking at.

MSRP on the new GSXR 1000 is what, $11,500 or $12,000 or something?

If you wait until August, that'll be $9,500 out the door

You should be able to get a 2008-2009 used for $8,500. With > 1,000 miles on it

So let's go from there:

2008/09 - $8,500
2007 $7,500
2006 $7,000
2005 $6,500 (new model)
2004 $6,000
2003 $5,500
2002 $5,000
2001 $4,500

I know you can't just say bike X is worth $500 more than bike Y, because it's a year newer. Also, the tires on this bike are OLD and are going to need replacing. That's $400 right there. I just don't get why someone would pay $6,000 for an 01 when you can get an 04/05 for that price (I've seen them out there)

Bike prices are :psyduck: :psyduck:

I just sold my 2005 636 with 3,900 miles for $5,500. I've seen them sell for cheaper and I got a ton of lowball offers, but someone came up yesterday with the cash, we were both happy, and that was the end of the story.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The problem with ebay is:

quote:

THIS IS A RE-LISTING DUE TO PEOPLE NOT STANDING BEHIND THEIR BIDS!

Yeah...realism in ebay listings is very rare.

People who have nice bikes and can afford to hold out can get good prices for their bikes, but there's a lot of people who make lovely decisions and end up having to sell now and that's when you can snipe some pretty awesome deals.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Bob Morales posted:

MSRP on the new GSXR 1000 is what, $11,500 or $12,000 or something?

Suzuki's site is listing MSRP for a brand spanking new '09 at $13,000, $11,500 for '08, and $11,400 for an '07. Ouch.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kdc67 posted:

Suzuki's site is listing MSRP for a brand spanking new '09 at $13,000, $11,500 for '08, and $11,400 for an '07. Ouch.

Roll accessories, tax, and other dealer fees into that...

I've seen year-old Gixxer 600's listed for "payoff" ($10,000)

:a2m:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Is it heresy to ask for help buying a new bike?

I have an 01 sv650s that I love, but I think I'm going to convert it to a streetfighter. loving plastic fairings! I'd like another bike though.

I thought about maybe something like a Honda Shadow Aero. As you guys can tell by my roadtrips, I love the long haul.

I was also considering something in the sport world also, but nothing like a GSXR or anything, maybe I need to sit on a few.

Honestly, around here a sv650s is an exotic, I'd like to keep with the "different" theme.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

Is it heresy to ask for help buying a new bike?

I have an 01 sv650s that I love, but I think I'm going to convert it to a streetfighter. loving plastic fairings! I'd like another bike though.

I thought about maybe something like a Honda Shadow Aero. As you guys can tell by my roadtrips, I love the long haul.

I was also considering something in the sport world also, but nothing like a GSXR or anything, maybe I need to sit on a few.

Honestly, around here a sv650s is an exotic, I'd like to keep with the "different" theme.

Long hauls... Sporty... Long hauls... Different...

VFR 800 ahoy!

It's a sport tourer with a Moto GP pedigree.

This is going to be my third or fourth bike, once I've got a few years and a few bikes under my belt. It seems to be a real jack of all trades bike.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yeah I can't tell if I want a long haul-er

or a "real" sport bike.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Okay, so I like standards, like smaller/lighter/nimbler bikes, and am somewhat leery of big maintenance headaches for a 1963 Japanese bike.

Would it be completely ludicrous to consider a Moto Guzzi Nevada 750?

It's a Standard, they still make them, there are used ones on the market for $4,000ish, and it only weighs 400lbs (about the same as a GS400 or CB500). What's the word on these critters? Or will I have massive maintenance problems and parts issues?

Or, pound for pound and all things being equal, would I be getting a better bang for my buck if I just got a beater 1975-1980 GS450 or CB450 for under $1000 and played Pimp My Biek with a <$3000 budget? Not that I would necessarily spend that much fixing up a GS/CB, but just wondering if it's a "d00d, for the $4K you'd spend on that stock MG you could turn a UJM into something super-sweet."

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
If you like that bike, google a Honda CX500. Looks just as good, but it's not an unreliable piece of poo poo.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
I think I'm on the cusp of doing something stupid and I am turning to you guys to talk some sense into me. Here are the facts:

1) I've only been riding since August 08

2) I'm in my 30's, practice ATGATT, took the MSF, very responsible and safety conscious, etc

3) I have put about 2400 miles on my 07 SV650S, in all types of weather.

4) For whatever reason, I can't stop lusting after liter bikes--ZX10's, GSX-R's, R1's, etc. I don't need one, I don't race and I certainly have not outgrown my SV. Nonetheless, I want one badly.

5) I consider ABS to be a necessity, because I am not a strictly fair weather rider and anything that might improve my chances of not wrecking is probably a very good thing to have.

So, #5 kept #4 in check, until I noticed that the 09 Honda CBR1000RR has optional ABS. Money isn't an issue--practicality and survival are, however. I figure the CBR has a slightly more aggressive riding posture than my SVS, but that could be fixed with different clip-ons. What I'm mostly worried about is jumping on a bike that weighs about the same as my current bike but has like 2.5 times the power. Beyond power, are there other things that might make this bike hard to live with on a daily basis?

For the record, I have never ridden a bike more powerful than an SV, so I really have no idea what I might be getting into. I would also be doing some occasional touring on it but I don't know what kind of luggage it can take.

Should I just drop this idea now or could I pull this off without killing myself?

MourningGlory fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 1, 2009

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
You should ride a literbike, because you might not want one afterwards. After 3 years on a cruiser, I rode my friend's ZX-10 and decided it was way, way too much. Now, I think even my ZZR-600 might have a bit more power than I'd like.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

MourningGlory posted:

Should I just drop this idea now or could I pull this off without killing myself?

Try and ride a liter bike. I've been riding for two and a half years and tried a friends R1 a few months back. It was the scariest god drat thing in the world and I knew I'd either kill myself or get myself arrested really, really quickly. It was a hell of a lot of fun and I can definitely see the appeal, but its beyond me right now. Honestly, you probably aren't ready for a new 1000RR, especially if your goal is to "be a better/faster rider" or what not. Have you checked out the new 600RR? Its got ABS also, and its a hell of a scary bike itself.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yep, chiming in with the 'try it and see if you scare yourself stupid' crowd. I tried a TL1000R, when looking for something to replace my GS500 of a year and a half (hey, it was in my price range, okay?), and decided that I wanted absolutely nothing to do with the amount of power that was on offer. Then again, I have a GSX-R600 that I only track, and have no idea how anyone would ever be happy riding a 600cc supersport anywhere other than on a track.

Mrkatharsis, I actually posted a CX500 from CL for TTFA, but he shot it down as being a cruiser - then he posts this guzzi. :confused:

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

pr0zac posted:

Try and ride a liter bike.
There are a couple local dealerships that supposedly offer test rides. I'll see what they can do.

quote:

Have you checked out the new 600RR? Its got ABS also, and its a hell of a scary bike itself.
The only problem with that is that, since I ride in traffic/town so much, I don't want to make a step down in low-range torque, which a 600cc I4 engine would be, compared to the SV. Unless I'm wrong?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Totally out of left field suggestion, but why not try out a thumper? You'll have even more apparent torque than with the twin, and they come in neat packages, too.

On the other hand, if you want something sporty, with optional ABS, why not look for a VFR?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

MrKatharsis posted:

If you like that bike, google a Honda CX500. Looks just as good, but it's not an unreliable piece of poo poo.

The difference in riding pleasure between the plastic maggot and a Moto Guzzi is immeasurable. A MG twin at redline sounds like a small block running through glasspacks, a CX500 sounds like a Briggs&Stratton "big twin" in a riding lawnmower.

A CX500 is reliable. That's pretty much the only virtue. They make great courier bikes as they last forever and if something unfortunate happens to it, you've never really gotten attached to it because it is such an uninspiring miserable thing.

The modern Guzzis have come a long way from the dark days of typical Italian reliability, or lack thereof...I owned a SP1000 at one time from the mid 80s and that bike never gave me a moments grief, once I bought it a new battery. A $20 Wal Mart riding mower battery.

If you can go that high, I'd take a look at a Nevada for $4K.

What I wouldn't do is put serious pimp funds into a $1000 UJM. Tires, chain, fluids, battery, the maintenence and safety basics of course but if you were thinking of spending another $3k or so, you might want to ride the 400 class for a year and look at other bikes. Shop that extra $3k around in November ands see what that gets you. I've picked up some cool bikes for under $3K.

$2250, end of season sale. Sold a year later for $3400.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

pr0zac posted:

It was the scariest god drat thing in the world and I knew I'd either kill myself or get myself arrested really, really quickly.

They will never catch you on a liter bike. :ninja:

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Simkin posted:

On the other hand, if you want something sporty, with optional ABS, why not look for a VFR?
I keep thinking about a VFR, though I don't really know much about them. I think it might be a physically bigger, heavier bike than I really want. I love the size/weight of the SV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

MourningGlory posted:

The only problem with that is that, since I ride in traffic/town so much, I don't want to make a step down in low-range torque, which a 600cc I4 engine would be, compared to the SV. Unless I'm wrong?

I had an 07 CBR600RR for about 8 months. It was great around town engine wise. Never felt like I had to wring it to get around or anything. And it would easily lift the front wheel if you gave it too much throttle. Its a noticeable step up from an SV power wise.