Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.
I'd like to stay under 100 dollars per wheel. I don't know what "cheap" is, really. These, for instance:

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/21-1045.html

Look to be good and Goodwin likes them, but can I find something as good for significantly less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Probably not. These are $99/per and are the replacement for the Kazera KZ-M. 15x7

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...=All&sort=Brand

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Would I have any trouble with that offset? Do I need a hub ring? I like that they come with lugnuts.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Nope, they'll fit just fine. There are some mounted pictures at the end of this thread:

http://clubroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20229

I personally don't like the grey color, but I think they'd look decent if you resprayed them.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
The grey might look good on a white car. It's pretty late for me and I'm having trouble picturing it, though.

edit: have to pick new tires, too. RS2s are $77 per, and if I can actually get 20k out of them, that would be good. How are the Yokohama s.Drive and Dunlop Direzza DZ101s? Those are decently priced for the size I'd get, and I can't remember anything bad said about them on these forums.

GoblinBomb fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 30, 2009

mars
Apr 5, 2005
well this thread seems to have take a turn for post your crashed miata :(

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

This happened a week ago, and I've only had the car for 3 weeks. It was raining, and I had bald tires (RE01Rs were in the garage waiting to be put on).

I'm not sure how much I can fix it, so I'm sort of weighing my options and looking for another one at the same time.

mars fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 30, 2009

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
<Mazda curse & YOU KILLED A 95 M post>

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

mars posted:

well this thread seems to have take a turn for post your crashed miata :(

This happened a week ago, and I've only had the car for 3 weeks. It was raining, and I had bald tires (RE01Rs were in the garage waiting to be put on).

I'm not sure how much I can fix it, so I'm sort of weighing my options and looking for another one at the same time.

oh man if you're going to part it out I'm really interested. I want your mirrors. Where are you located? Please email me at hogobituary at gmail.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I should be picking this up within the month.

Already have a down payment on it, paper work is in the mail. This little guy looks very nice and is completely stock as far as I can tell. Were speakers on the shelf behind the seats ever a factory option? I'm very excited to have a blank canvas to work with. I have (selling it tomorrow) a 94 Black/Tan that had a roll bar already installed when I bought it.
First mods planned are installing the Tein Flex coil-overs and Mazda OEM front lip that I've had sitting in my room for 6 months.

http://www.chicagocarsdirect.com/1997-mazda-mx-5-miata--c-556.htm

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Those types of rear deck speakers were not a factory option as far as I'm aware.

But regardless, that looks like a nice clean NA.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Can cruise control be added to a Miata post production? Miata in question is a 99.

Also, its safe to drive it on the highway for extended periods of time, right? It's just kind of nerve wracking at 3500 rpm for a long time.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

terrorist posted:

Can cruise control be added to a Miata post production? Miata in question is a 99.

Also, its safe to drive it on the highway for extended periods of time, right? It's just kind of nerve wracking at 3500 rpm for a long time.

There's an aftermarket cruise control system that a few people on miata.net use with no problem. The cleaner way to do it is to get the whole oem system and swap it over but thats a little difficult. Requires the cruise control thing, the computer, new wiper stalk/switch and a cruise control gas pedal.

edit: and by a few I mean a lot. Its the audiovox CCS-100 system

You'll have no problem on the freeway, my cruising speed puts my 92 at ~4200rpm.

FireTora fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 31, 2009

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

terrorist posted:

Until the speed cameras went in, I probably did 20k miles at 4200-4500RPM in my '99. It's fine, though the fuel mileage goes to poo poo at those speeds :)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've done 4+ hours at 85mph (4200-4400rpm) no problem, and then ran up and down Deal's Gap all day.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Yeah, staying in closed loop helps a good amount. Comparing the mileage I got on all seasons+hard top+closed loop to summer tires+top down+open loop was :cry:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

destructo posted:

Yeah, staying in closed loop helps a good amount. Comparing the mileage I got on all seasons+hard top+closed loop to summer tires+top down+open loop was :cry:

It's mechanically safe. Not safe for your wallet, though.

25mpg last tank for speed limit + 20mph. :toot:

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Until the speed cameras went in, I probably did 20k miles at 4200-4500RPM in my '99. It's fine, though the fuel mileage goes to poo poo at those speeds :)

The speed cameras and construction here have done wonders for my mileage too. :) :(

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

It's mechanically safe. Not safe for your wallet, though.

25mpg last tank for speed limit + 20mph. :toot:
Yeah I can't wait till I get megasquirt/tune set up in the next month or two so I can figure out how off my tachometer is. I'm gonna try and assemble it myself, but I might outsource the boomslang, don't want to bother with that.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Are these wheels good?

quote:

These are the 1994-1997 miata light weight hollow spoke version, weight approx. 11 lbs. Reference http://jason-parker.net/images/wheels.htm

175 shipped for the set, all have curb rash.

edit: also one has a dent:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
I wouldn't pay for them. You can get 90-93 daisys for free most of the time, there's nothing special about those wheels. I'd just find something cheaper locally.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
People want a pretty penny for the 94-97 wheels. They look alright and sure they're 14x6, but people want like 300 for a set whereas you can get a set of daisies for 100.

Pass on those wheels, and if you're looking for a deal, see if somebody's unloading a set of BBS wheels with a center cap missing or something.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
edit: sold or something

Phone fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 2, 2009

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Just realized, my car turns 20 years old this month.

code:
This VIN is for a Mazda Miata car (US Model, 1.6L), model year 1990, made at the Hiroshima plant.
It was the 962nd car made in the 1st production year.
Manufactured April '89 :toot:

I had cake, the car got a new center console and glovebox latch.

GoblinBomb fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 2, 2009

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How much of a red flag should a badly done intake be on a used Miata? I'm fairly sure that this tiny engine doesn't need this, and that if anything it will be decreasing the torque output.

The car is in good shape except for that intake stuck on there, and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to go back to stock if I should buy the car. It depends how low I can get the price, a '99 base 5spd isn't exactly a special Miata and I'm hoping to get it for $5k.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
I wouldn't worry about the intake, even my friend's dad stuck an intake on his 00 for the sake of the intake noise and he takes good care of the thing. lovely intake != abused. I doubt you'll notice a difference going back to stock anyway.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Weinertron posted:

How much of a red flag should a badly done intake be on a used Miata? I'm fairly sure that this tiny engine doesn't need this, and that if anything it will be decreasing the torque output.

Nothings really wrong with that intake, but if you really wanted to go back to stock you could probably get someone to give you 50 bucks and their stock intake for it.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

terrorist posted:

I've done an hour at 6000rpm. Burned a little oil but other than that it was fine.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
How hard is dropping the tank on an NA? Krakkles' 91 needs to have the tank replaced, and I picked up a spare but its a Wisconsin rustbucke, so what do I have to remove to get it out? PPF, diff, and all the rear subframe?

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
That should be it. There's really nothing else back there. :P

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Can anyone recommend a shop in the Los Angeles area that's decent with Miatas and won't gouge you? My sister-in-law's '95M has a broken passenger window mechanism and she's planning on getting it fixed with her tax refund.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Is the instrument cluster hood the same between 90-93 and 94-97?

edit: answered my own question, it isn't.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Weinertron posted:

The car is in good shape except for that intake stuck on there, and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to go back to stock if I should buy the car. It depends how low I can get the price, a '99 base 5spd isn't exactly a special Miata and I'm hoping to get it for $5k.

The red flag for me is that brown radiator. It could crack and start leaking at any time. A new one costs around $100.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Grayham posted:

The red flag for me is that brown radiator. It could crack and start leaking at any time. A new one costs around $100.

For what it's worth, my 95 has had an equally brown radiator since I bought it going on 3 years ago now. So presumably it's been brown quite a bit longer. Still not a single problem. I know other people with similar experiences. I think the whole brown = imminent death thing is kind of overblown. I definitely wouldn't pass on an otherwise fine car over it (and I didn't).

Plus it's a cheap and easy repair. Granted, blowing a radiator on the freeway would be inconvenient, but eh I'll deal with it when (if) it happens.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 2, 2009

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Anybody got an extra soft-top with frame available? I've got a '99, but honestly, any top that doesn't leak is better than a glass window top that does. Two nice, huge tears at the corners I've patched with vinyl...poorly.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

Grayham posted:

Every time I see this post I want to say something, so I'm going to now. Almost every car I've ever seen, including every single miata has a radiator that is this color. Unless you work for a radiator company I can't see why you're telling people this. I too have had a radiator this color on my NB for 3 years.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007

BusinessWallet posted:

Every time I see this post I want to say something, so I'm going to now. Almost every car I've ever seen, including every single miata has a radiator that is this color. Unless you work for a radiator company I can't see why you're telling people this. I too have had a radiator this color on my NB for 3 years.

The radiator in the car I bought was black. Tan/green radiators mean the endtanks could have 24 hours or a year until they crack or come off the core and cause a massive coolant leak. A new radiator is stupidly cheap, like $100.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
I need to run some wiring from the driver's side engine bay into the driver's side interior. I'm fairly certain the cable isn't long enough to reach to the passenger side and back so I'm looking for a way thru the firewall on the driver's side, preferably without drilling. A final added complication is that the wire already has an RJ-45 (same as network cable) connection on the end of it so I guess I'd need some pretty good clearance.

Any suggestions?

If I do need to drill, what's the best way to clean up the hole and is there a cheap place to get some various sized grommets? (edit: 10 seconds found these: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46724)

Edit2: I'm an idiot that thought the OBD connection was the diagnostic box and not in the cabin. Question still stands regarding best places to run thru the firewall.

ChiliMac fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 5, 2009

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Is there anything wrong with the Magnaflow Direct-fit cats? They're cheaper on eBay than the Jackson Racing or OEM converters, but I'm guessing they won't function very well or fall apart?

Such as this

I'm such a cheapskate :geno:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

ChiliMac posted:

Edit2: I'm an idiot that thought the OBD connection was the diagnostic box and not in the cabin. Question still stands regarding best places to run thru the firewall.
There's a nice hole behind the windshield washer fluid bottle that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

GoblinBomb posted:

Is there anything wrong with the Magnaflow Direct-fit cats? They're cheaper on eBay than the Jackson Racing or OEM converters, but I'm guessing they won't function very well or fall apart?

Such as this

I'm such a cheapskate :geno:

I just got one of these from a guy locally about a month ago for $80 after my old one clogged. They're well made and shouldn't have any issue. I haven't needed to smog my car with it yet but I'm sure it'll do just fine. They cat I replaced with it was practically half empty which is probably why I barely passed smog last year.