Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

This is sort of an emergency since I don't feel safe riding around like this and I have a meeting to get to at lunch. I'm thinking I'll adjust the idle screw just to rule out throttle cable but I was reading a GS forum (it's a GS500) and someone mentioned that it could be an O-ring between the carb and airbox that blew.

It could be running very, very lean. That will cause a runaway idle. Check everything around the airbox to make sure you don't have any air leaks. Be careful riding it like this because if its lean it'll run really hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

chryst posted:

*gladus*
Suzuki needs you to take the marketing pictures.

Ola posted:

So here's my bar riser plan.

Buy this: *bars*

*cut them up*

Think it looks right Nero?
Yup, that looks right. I"d look for bars with a sharper bend though.

http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/handlebars.htm I'd look a the clubman or gp touring bars.

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Oi.....*carb boot trouble*

That all sounds like your'e going lean. How long had it been since you rode the bike? I'm going to bet you had an intake boot o-ring let go. Get it started, and do the spray around the carbs test to see if the rpms rise.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!
As I posted in my desperation thread it's inexplicably running fine now. Here's hoping that's permanent but in the meantime I'll keep your advice in mind. Thanks, guys.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Wow the way that's set up would make a fender eliminator a tall order methinks. That kind of sucks, especially considering the fender is freaking enormous. Awesome bike, though. I'd kill for that thing.
It's attached to a ball-end cable (like a mini throttle cable), and the lock pulls that. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to sell an aftermarket one and just swap the lock during install.

I think the only change I want to do is take a saw to the pointy bit hanging below the tag. The rest of the fender can stay.

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

Ola posted:

So here's my bar riser plan.

Buy this:

(about $50)

Chop it in half, insert one half into my each of my steering stalks, do a sitting test and cable run mock-up, trim the bars to practical length and be done. This should get me wider, taller and more upright controls for much less $$ than any local aftermarket option or shipped US stuff.

Think it looks right Nero?

I have a set of bars with a 2 or 3 inch rise (I think), like the ones you posted, just sitting in my garage if you want to pay shipping on them they are yours.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CoolBlue posted:

I have a set of bars with a 2 or 3 inch rise (I think), like the ones you posted, just sitting in my garage if you want to pay shipping on them they are yours.

Really? That's very cool of you. Got a pic of it? If it's not chrome, sort of the right shape and the shipping isn't too bad I'd be happy to help you clear our garage. :)

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

Ola posted:

Really? That's very cool of you. Got a pic of it? If it's not chrome, sort of the right shape and the shipping isn't too bad I'd be happy to help you clear our garage. :)

It's black. Let me go snap a pic of it real quick.

EDIT: OK, my memory sucks. Closer to 1.5, maybe 2 inches of rise.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

They look a lot more scratched up in the pictures than they really are, there's a reflection coming from the window behind me.

CoolBlue fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 9, 2009

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
I was offered a 94 Kawasaki Ninja 750 today in trade for one my cars I've been hot to get off my driveway. The car's worth about $2000 or so- is a 94 Ninja 750 in good condition worth similar? It's a nice looking bike.

I really have never ridden anything but cruiser style bikes in the past and I'm actually a bit nervous about the transition. If I can handle a 1000cc cruiser can I handle a 750cc Ninja without killing myself? I'm planning on wearing good gear and being careful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Legitimate posted:

I was offered a 94 Kawasaki Ninja 750 today in trade for one my cars I've been hot to get off my driveway. The car's worth about $2000 or so- is a 94 Ninja 750 in good condition worth similar? It's a nice looking bike.

I really have never ridden anything but cruiser style bikes in the past and I'm actually a bit nervous about the transition. If I can handle a 1000cc cruiser can I handle a 750cc Ninja without killing myself? I'm planning on wearing good gear and being careful.

There's a couple '750 Ninjas'

ZR7S, ZX7R

1 very different bikes.

The ZX7R is tame compared to todays bikes, but still a very fast ride.

I'd trade him for either one.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 10, 2009

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

*is MacGyver irl*

Bob Morales posted:

There's a couple '750 Ninjas'

ZR7S, ZX7R

1 very different bikes.

The ZX7R is tame compared to todays bikes, but still a very fast ride.

I'd trade him for either one.

It is a Ninja ZX7R

Got a better look and it does have some scratches on it, looks like a 7/10 condition wise. He just gave me the "haven't registered the title yet, still in previous owner's name" speech so I told him that nothings happening until he get's that sorted. We'll see what happens.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Legitimate posted:

It is a Ninja ZX7R

Go trade him now.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

*is MacGyver irl*

Bob Morales posted:

Go trade him now.

I'm interested but he can't produce a valid title. If he gets it together I'll be all over it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Legitimate posted:

It is a Ninja ZX7R

Got a better look and it does have some scratches on it, looks like a 7/10 condition wise. He just gave me the "haven't registered the title yet, still in previous owner's name" speech so I told him that nothings happening until he get's that sorted. We'll see what happens.

Seems reasonable enough. It's an older supersport, but in the hands of a decent rider still very capable. Cool bikes. Obviously, make sure it's in good shape before you trade for it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CoolBlue posted:

They look a lot more scratched up in the pictures than they really are, there's a reflection coming from the window behind me.

That's no problem, I'd just rattlecan it nice and fresh anyway. Thanks for the pics, it looks like a little short on rise and I think the shipping will actually come close to what I pay for a new one. I'll go check them out in the shop and then let you know if I still want yours, thanks much for the offer. :)

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
I may be showing off my ignorance here but I was hoping someone could explain cams to me. A lot of people talk about upgrading the DRZ cams and I realize I don't really understand what they are and how they work.

Why are aftermarket cams better? (lighter, stronger, etc)
Do all bike have 2 cams? Intake and exhaust?
Do you have to tear the engine apart to change them?

Also, I read this but id doesn't really clear up my questions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camshaft

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Not all bikes have two cams. That said most new bikes, do. Most bikes have overhead cams.. where the camshafts are located under the valve cover. That makes replacing cams easy. As you only need to remove the valve cover, and maybe the cam chain tensioner.

Cams are your motors program. They determine when the valves open. They determine how far the valve opens.

Cams make sense if you understand how the rest of the motor works. Do you know about suck-squish-bang-blow?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_combustion_engine

Check out the otto cycle animated gif. You can see the camshafts moving.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The obvious bit first, the eccentric shape of the lobes allows you to turn a rotating motion into a periodic push motion.

- Aftermarket cams are better in the sense that the cams sold on the aftermarket have bigger lobes so the valve opens more and/or for longer time allowing a greater intake charge = more horsepower.

- Most newer bikes have two cams, many older ones like CB750s have one - they are referred to as SOHC - single overhead cam.

- On the DRZ, nope. I think. I'm guessing you only need to remove the tank and the valve cover.

edit: beaten like a pushrod

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
http://www.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htm

Different camshafts are engineered to perform better at different RPM ranges. The site pretty much explains everything.

EDIT: Beaten like a cheating whore.

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

OH YEAH? I'M FROM DETROIT(s suburbs)!

Legitimate posted:

I'm interested but he can't produce a valid title. If he gets it together I'll be all over it.

I had the same thing happen to me with my Magna. The guy who sold it to me never transferred the title to himself. Luckily it wasn't a problem at the DMV (aka secretary of state, in Michigan). Got my new title in the mail earlier this week. They never even asked me a question once they saw the sale price was $700.

Malpenix Blonia
Nov 27, 2004

Malpenix Blonia posted:

:argh: o-rings :argh:

I installed the o-rings and messed around with the idle a bunch and it idles like a champ now. I think most of my problem was a wildly misadjusted idle.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
What's the general consensus on a bike sitting in the rain, particularly a naked bike? Will it get electrical or other problems if it gets rained on for a few hours?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

What's the general consensus on a bike sitting in the rain, particularly a naked bike? Will it get electrical or other problems if it gets rained on for a few hours?

It's fine. It may be slightly more problematic if you stripped it down yourself, but probably not. Bikes that come stock naked will have no issue with it.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Awesome, that was the only thing stopping me from riding it to my friends Mad Max/Road Warrior theater double-showing.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Woot first paycheck at a new job!!!! only 5-6 more months to go before I can rejoin the fold as bike rider.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
When folks go to buy a bike and it doesn't have plates on it, how do you get it home?

Do you just bring plates from your current bike and slap them on there just for the trip, and get proper ones when you get a chance? I know dealers can do the whole paper "temporary plate" thing, but how about private sellers?

I'm looking to buy a Bonneville about 80mi away (Charlottesville, VA), and it has no tags but is in rideable condition. How do I go about picking it up?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Buy it on a day when you can get insurance issued, go buy the bike, drive a short distance, buy insurance and plates for your new toy, return to the seller, and ride off into the sunset.

Or chuck it in the back of a truck. :v:

This obviously depends a bit on how insurance works in your area, though. For all I know, you live in some bizarro world like Z3n, where you need to have your bike insured even when it's being transported in the bed of a truck. :wtf:

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

How hard is it to get a center stand back on a bike if I were to take it off to paint it? The spring sort of scares the poo poo out of me. I don't want to wrestle with a rusty weapon sprung to kill me if I don't do it right on the first try.

NVaderJ fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 11, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

Buy it on a day when you can get insurance issued, go buy the bike, drive a short distance, buy insurance and plates for your new toy, return to the seller, and ride off into the sunset.

Or chuck it in the back of a truck. :v:

This obviously depends a bit on how insurance works in your area, though. For all I know, you live in some bizarro world like Z3n, where you need to have your bike insured even when it's being transported in the bed of a truck. :wtf:

Well, technically it only needs to be registered in a street legal fashion. And...to be registered you...need to have insurance. :mad:

Usually if you have the papers on you, you've got a 10 day grace period, and most cops wouldn't be dick enough to cite you. Insurance varies depending on state and provider. I know that state farm has a 30 day grace period where they cover anything that you purchase without you even having to report it.

Nvader, just remove the spring first with a pair of spring pullers (vicegrips will work but are not recommended) and then remove the centerstand. You can also make a halfway decent spring puller out of a heavy duty wire paint stirrer, if you have one.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

NVaderJ posted:

How hard is it to get a center stand back on a bike if I were to take it off to paint it? The spring sort of scares the poo poo out of me. I don't want to wrestle with a rusty weapon sprung to kill me if I don't do it right on the first try.

The easy solution begins before you take the spring off.

Get a bunch of pennies together, extend the centerstand. Put pennies between the spring coils. fold the center stand back up, the pennies will hold the spring extended and it will come right off. No pain, no drama. You could use washers too, but these days, washers cost a couple/three cents each. Pennies cost, well, a penny!

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

When folks go to buy a bike and it doesn't have plates on it, how do you get it home?

Do you just bring plates from your current bike and slap them on there just for the trip, and get proper ones when you get a chance? I know dealers can do the whole paper "temporary plate" thing, but how about private sellers?

I'm looking to buy a Bonneville about 80mi away (Charlottesville, VA), and it has no tags but is in rideable condition. How do I go about picking it up?
I've bought several used cars in VA, and been pulled over before I could get tags twice. Both times, I showed them the title signed the same day, and they let me go without any trouble. YMMV, but I don't worry about it anymore.

But yeah, make sure you're insured, cause if the cop's being a dick or pulled you for speeding or something, that's another thing they can stack on the list.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

Get a bunch of pennies together, extend the centerstand. Put pennies between the spring coils. fold the center stand back up, the pennies will hold the spring extended and it will come right off. No pain, no drama. You could use washers too, but these days, washers cost a couple/three cents each. Pennies cost, well, a penny!

Holy crap, that's genius. Too bad it wouldn't work with exhaust springs. :v:

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Nerobro, Ola, MrKatharsis posted:

Good info

Thanks for the info. That actually cleared up almost all my questions. I do for the most part understand how an engine works, but I didn't understand what would change by switching the camshafts, the bigger "lobe" make sense now.

Also DOHC vs SOHC finally make sense too, thanks!

Do you think changing them (specifically for the DRZ) would make a big difference? For this year I'm only concerned about switching the carb but I was thinking about this for next year. It's only a few hundred bucks. Would I be better off saving for a big bore kit? (I know that's a lot bigger of a job but could be a good winter project).

EDIT: Would I only need new camshafts if I already had the big bore kit or would it help with stock as well?

cmorrow001 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 11, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How important is gas milage to you? I rode a DRZ400SM with the carb, cams, and the 3x3 mod and it was just perfect. My friend had a big bore kit on it, and his stance was that at that point you should just buy a KTM/whatever. Tanks your gas milage, gives you some more power but not enough to make up for it.

Cams will help a lot stock. The E uses the hotter cams, probably because offroad is more leniant on emissions than on road.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Z3n posted:

How important is gas milage to you? I rode a DRZ400SM with the carb, cams, and the 3x3 mod and it was just perfect. My friend had a big bore kit on it, and his stance was that at that point you should just buy a KTM/whatever. Tanks your gas milage, gives you some more power but not enough to make up for it.

Cams will help a lot stock. The E uses the hotter cams, probably because offroad is more leniant on emissions than on road.

Let's not lie, none of us ride for the gas mileage. I currently get 40mpg with the 3x3 and full exhaust. I know that the new carb will hurt my mileage but I don't really care.

My Speed Triple only gets a little over 30mpg. I just want more kick out of the DRZ. I'd really like to learn how to wheelie it this summer and I think more power should help. (I'm really too much of a pussy to learn how to wheelie again so I'm just doing this for power, screw gas mileage...the smile on my face is worth it)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

Let's not lie, none of us ride for the gas mileage. I currently get 40mpg with the 3x3 and full exhaust. I know that the new carb will hurt my mileage but I don't really care.

My Speed Triple only gets a little over 30mpg. I just want more kick out of the DRZ. I'd really like to learn how to wheelie it this summer and I think more power should help. (I'm really too much of a pussy to learn how to wheelie again so I'm just doing this for power, screw gas mileage...the smile on my face is worth it)

If you're cool with tanking the poo poo out of your gas mileage, then go for it. I think he dropped down into the mid 20s with the set of mods + the BB kit. He also rides like a complete hooligan though.

How does your S3 get that low of gas mileage? Mine, which ran rich as a pig, still got in the mid 30s with normal use and low 40s with freeway.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Z3n posted:

If you're cool with tanking the poo poo out of your gas mileage, then go for it. I think he dropped down into the mid 20s with the set of mods + the BB kit. He also rides like a complete hooligan though.

Well then I figure without the big bore I'll be in mid 30's which is fine with me. I'll probblay look into the cams for next year. I see used ones go up for sale every couple of months for ~200 intake and exhaust.

Z3n posted:

How does your S3 get that low of gas mileage? Mine, which ran rich as a pig, still got in the mid 30s with normal use and low 40s with freeway.

It seems a lot of people only get mid 30's mpg. I get ~110 miles or so per tank and fill up about 3 gallons. I'll look into it further though.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
You have a larger gas tank? because with 30~mpg, and the 2.5gallon tank that the internet says the drz has. Well I'd find a 75-80mile range to be a pain.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

blugu64 posted:

You have a larger gas tank? because with 30~mpg, and the 2.5gallon tank that the internet says the drz has. Well I'd find a 75-80mile range to be a pain.

I'm currently getting around 100 miles out of a tank, if it dropped down to 75-80 that would be okay. It's really just a through town (and soon a track), gently caress around toy. If I'm going any distance at all I take the Triumph.

If I found a good deal on a larger tank though, I'd get one but it's not a priority.

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

Gnomad posted:

Thanks! This worked perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
My mirror has started to go out of adjustment on the freeway, any ideas to make the ball and socket a little... stickier?