Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twitchy
May 27, 2005

Just about finished my program for my final project, it's a functional query language based on the functional data model. It might not be as cool as making a compiler because it's interpreted but it was pretty fun to make and learnt a lot doing it :). Now onto report writing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
I don't know the first thing about writing scripting languages, but why should that stop me?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PnP Bios
Oct 24, 2005
optional; no images are allowed, only text
WPF / XNA Multiple Emulator frontend for HTPCs. Designed to run fullscreen at 1200x720 or higher.

not very fancy yet, but you can navigate it with a 360 controller.

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!
This is a Tron lightcycle game that my team and I recently finished for our 400 level computer graphics class (that will be a listed as a 300 level class next semester, like it should be).

Click here for the full 864x646 image.

Click here for the full 863x647 image.

It has support for 1/2/3/4 players with split screen, or you can watch 4 pretty bad AI lightcycles go at it. There are gratuitous amounts of particles when you die that work (sort of) physically with the exception of collisions. We also included the bouncing wheel from the original Tron lightcycle scene that shows up when someone hits a wall. There are occasionally collision problems, but for the amount of time that we wrote this in I'm surprised how decent it is.

Due to the short amount of time we wrote this in (one week), we had to cut corners and ended up drawing everything in immediate mode. If I was to continue actually working on it I'd probably put all the wall coords in a vbo so that it doesn't slow down like crazy with 4 viewports. Also, the OBJ Loader was written by someone in the group and is pretty poorly coded.

Here's a link to a binary that should work under 32bit windows with .NET 2.0:
http://senduit.com/26c255

If your graphics card doesn't support aux buffers you can press g to turn off the blur effect on the playfield.

Buttons (since they aren't listed) for player 3 are left arrow/right arrow, player 4 divide/multiply on the numpad.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

tofufish posted:

This looks amazing, Ive been looking for a decent program like this for quite a long time. Anyway for us to keep updated on the updates/release time? Do you have a link to that other manager you were talking about?

It's very close to release now. I was slacking off on it because of school and Street Fighter IV, but I picked it up a few days ago and did some good stuff. All of the functionality is there, I'm currently re-engineering some of the stuff to make more sense since it is an open source project. Also working on getting as many bugs as I can fixed before the initial release.

So to answer your question, soon :)

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Click here for the full 956x518 image.

A crossplatform (Windows and OS X - Linux support shouldn't be hard to add in the future) Python hard drive benchmark. Generates files on one drive, uses the operating system's shell to transfer them to the other drive, then saves the results to a .csv and plots the data using matplotlib. It's intended to simulate a real drag-and-drop file transfer as closely as possible. The only thing left to do is package it so that you don't have to install python, matplotlib, numpy, and pywin32 to use it.

I've been thinking of making a thread to ask people to beta test it, because there are about a million different use cases and I haven't had time to try all of them.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

BeefofAges posted:

Click here for the full 956x518 image.

A crossplatform (Windows and OS X - Linux support shouldn't be hard to add in the future) Python hard drive benchmark. Generates files on one drive, uses the operating system's shell to transfer them to the other drive, then saves the results to a .csv and plots the data using matplotlib. It's intended to simulate a real drag-and-drop file transfer as closely as possible. The only thing left to do is package it so that you don't have to install python, matplotlib, numpy, and pywin32 to use it.

I've been thinking of making a thread to ask people to beta test it, because there are about a million different use cases and I haven't had time to try all of them.
Did you learn UI design from factormystic?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Scaevolus posted:

This is my first-ever GUI, after years of writing command line apps. I'm sorry if it sucks :(

Who is factormystic, anyway?

BeefofAges fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 11, 2009

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Scaevolus posted:

Uncanny resemblance!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

BeefofAges posted:

Who is factormystic, anyway?

Guess which one of these I designed :buddy:

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

Guess which one of these I designed :buddy:

Factor Mystic posted:

Comprehensive file association editor for windows, with focus on usability. Designed for Vista, plays nice with UAC, but most file association stuff can be set as a user preference anyway. I'll be posting a thread in SH/SC for feedback when it's done.

:v:

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy
Haha, you're a good sport Factor. :cool:

polka
May 10, 2007

Going up!

A flash game I'm working on. It's a shameless rip-off of this game.

You can play it here.

Not UNIX
Mar 29, 2005
It was stupid speculation when the WSJ reported it, and it's stupid speculation now. It's never going to happen.
This is less of a project and more just killing time, but I thought it was kind of neat. I'm trying to apply some optimizations to a simple Mandelbrot app. The pixels in red are the ones it decides it does not need to calculate.

Click on image for app (Flash 9); in app, click to zoom. Zooming is limited by AS3's Number precision, which is 64 bits and I suck at reading documentation.

Not UNIX fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 15, 2009

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Not UNIX posted:

This is less of a project and more just killing time, but I thought it was kind of neat. I'm trying to apply some optimizations to a simple Mandelbrot app. The pixels in red are the ones it decides it does not need to calculate.

Click on image for app (Flash 9); in app, click to zoom. Zooming is limited by AS3's Number precision, which is 64 bits and I suck at reading documentation.

That's pretty drat neat!

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

Subdivision surfaces!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

heeen posted:

Subdivision surfaces!

I hear the performance overhead for CUDA/GL interop is pretty bad, C/D?

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

Hubis posted:

I hear the performance overhead for CUDA/GL interop is pretty bad, C/D?

Cuda:
Steps: 4 pre kernel 0.156981ms cuda 45.9069ms render 1.42665ms FPS: 21.0568 quads: 331008

Cuda Emulation:
Steps: 4 pre kernel 16.1864ms cuda 1684.88ms render 1.33251ms FPS: 0.587405 quads: 331008

Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB

broiledmeat
Jul 25, 2006
:|

A friend told me about reaction-diffusion systems, and they seemed pretty interesting. I write a lot of javascript for some reason, so I ended up writing the things using JS and canvas, which can be found here. Javascript is pretty slow, especially at this kind of thing (and I wrote/tested it all on an Eee,) so I decided to write the thing as a desktop app with a somewhat decent UI.

I figured it was time to learn C# too, so I'm doing that for this project. The only thing left to do is generate a little settings table when the reaction-diffusion module is changed, as each model has its own parameters and things.

Edit: poo poo I sure sound interested! Reaction diffusion systems model chemical reactions and how they diffuse in a space. They can generate all kinds of patterns found in nature and are fun to watch as they change and form.

broiledmeat fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 17, 2009

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

I'm working on an internal app to do our invoicing. It uses PHP and JavaScript with some AJAX and it creates PDFs from the invoices.

A key design goal was 'Disco Shine.' Other than that it's mostly a simple DB app.

numeric_atrophy
Oct 18, 2003

Download Geared - FREE
(17 Million Downloads)

Windows 8
iOS
Android
WinPhone 7
My iPhone game is finally finished. First game ever. I feel all tingly.

Spaceballs
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=312145716&mt=8

numeric_atrophy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 18, 2009

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

numeric_atrophy posted:

Spaceballs
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=312145716&mt=8

Is that supposed to look like a butthole?

numeric_atrophy
Oct 18, 2003

Download Geared - FREE
(17 Million Downloads)

Windows 8
iOS
Android
WinPhone 7

That Turkey Story posted:

Is that supposed to look like a butthole?

Like as in crap and terrible looking, or as in an actual butthole? Neither, though :(

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Like an actual butthole where poop comes from.

numeric_atrophy
Oct 18, 2003

Download Geared - FREE
(17 Million Downloads)

Windows 8
iOS
Android
WinPhone 7
I don't see it.

raspi
Jul 26, 2006
Seems nothing compared to your projects. zfComicEngine for publishing web comics. Looks lovely because I don't have very good artistic eye. Screenshots here.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

numeric_atrophy posted:

Spaceballs

Dude, this is awesome. Just grabbed it on my iPhone and it's pretty fun! I'm a huge Bust-A-Move fan so this was right up my alley. I hadn't played any of those other games you mentioned in the description before. Nice job, voted 5!

evilmonkeh
Apr 18, 2004
meh

For my final year masters project designing a program to help solve rubik's cubes. The idea is that it uses a web cam to track the position and state of a rubik's cube in real time, and show a 3d reconstruction of the user's perspective of the cube (the opposite side to what the webcam can see). I've spent quite a while on the image acquisition side of it and finally have it identifying and labelling some of the faces on the cube - now it should be trivial to search around to find the remaining faces!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That is pretty neat! Can you go into more detail about the object recognition?

Fecotourist
Nov 1, 2008

evilmonkeh posted:

For my final year masters project designing a program to help solve rubik's cubes.

This is a great idea for a project.
Does the information in this picture uniquely determine the arrangement of the squares on the other side? You'd think that the opposite corner, for example, could have any of 3 orientations, but maybe there are some subtle constraints.
I also wonder if you're finding indiviual colored squares without much context, or if you start by estimating the overall orientation of the whole Rubik's cube and use that for finding the squares.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Fecotourist posted:

Does the information in this picture uniquely determine the arrangement of the squares on the other side? You'd think that the opposite corner, for example, could have any of 3 orientations, but maybe there are some subtle constraints.
I also wonder if you're finding indiviual colored squares without much context, or if you start by estimating the overall orientation of the whole Rubik's cube and use that for finding the squares.
Yeah, the orientation of the non-visible edges (two-color pieces) is not deducible from seeing three of the faces.

evilmonkeh
Apr 18, 2004
meh

Fecotourist posted:

This is a great idea for a project.

This is not enough information to determine the overall state of the cube, but it is enough for the application to know which side of the rubik's cube it is looking at. The idea is that the cube will be rotated so that at least one image is captured of every face until the position of the cube is determined. after that the program will assume that no moves other than the instructed ones have been made (although if it detects that the cube is in a different position it will update the solution, but if a move is made off screen it wont detect it until it sees the cube again.

I did begin by estimating the overall orientation of the cube and using this information to find the individual faces, but this doesn't cope so well with fingers obscuring faces, and capturing the rubiks cube mid move (when the sides are not aligned).

A basic summary of the process I'm using to find the faces is:
- perform harris corner detection. This finds points which match up with the corners of each individual face (although not all of them) as well as plenty of back ground noise
- Go through each pair of corners found, and for those within a certain distance of each other, analyse the variations of colour on a line between them. When a solid line of colour (in the HSV colour space) is found, this line is added to a list of candidate lines
- For each pair of candidate lines, see if they intersect each other with the same colour values and similar size. If they do, add them to a list of candidate faces
- For each candidate face, perform a flood fill (in HSV colour space) starting from the intersection point of the two lines. Then update the original face corners to match the new filled area

There are a few extra steps involved but that summarises the key stages. And it is fairly fast - takes about 50ms a cycle.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

I'm working on and off on a pretty simple Skype "bot", if you can call it that.

The screenshot should say it all, really. :shobon:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
Extending on my previous work, now refraction + caustics:

http://heeen.de/proj/refractioncaustic.avi

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Are the caustics just random, or are they actually calculated based on the surface normals?

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

heeen posted:

Extending on my previous work, now refraction + caustics:

That's very much a thing of beauty. Didn't see much in the way of documentation in /proj, though. Have you a source or publications page?

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

akadajet posted:

Are the caustics just random, or are they actually calculated based on the surface normals?

The caustics, as is what the camera sees, are raycasted in fragment shaders.

Jo posted:

That's very much a thing of beauty. Didn't see much in the way of documentation in /proj, though. Have you a source or publications page?

I can upload the previous work without caustics, I have yet to write the paper about the caustics extension.
http://heeen.de/proj/thesis_refraction.pdf

heeen fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 20, 2009

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

What are those white line artifacts around the side of the pool caused by?

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

Nam Taf posted:

What are those white line artifacts around the side of the pool caused by?

the caustic is rendered into an offscreen texture (bottom) and it indexes into it, sometimes it misses the correct spots, due to the correct refraction. Working on this.

Here's a version that is more sexy:
http://heeen.de/proj/refractioncaustic_filtered_specular.avi

vvv bring it vvv

heeen fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I challenge you to a caustics/godrays war! :haw:

I'm gonna clear it with my advisor first and then post a vid of my thesis.