Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Legerdemain posted:

My mirror has started to go out of adjustment on the freeway, any ideas to make the ball and socket a little... stickier?

Don't speed so much, you walking talking peril to mankind. :colbert:

Naw, it's happening to me too. If there's something cheap I can just spray on, that would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

Look, I'm a liberal guy, voting for Obama, yada yada.
I just changed the oil in my '88 ZX600 C1 (put in 10W40), and I think I've added too much. After doing some riding, when the temperature needle started to get into normal operating range, the bike's idle would run way below 1k, and the engine wouldn't kick in with torque until I gassed it for a bit. When the bike got even warmer, it'd just stall.

Yes, the window seems overfilled, but my question is if those symptoms sound typical for having put in too much oil?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Polynomial posted:

Yes, the window seems overfilled, but my question is if those symptoms sound typical for having put in too much oil?

I've overfilled mine and it doesn't do that. But bikes are different. It becomes harder for the engine to turn over with all that oil splashing around so you would expect lower idle and random stalling - but you won't know until you drain some off. If you have a nice and clean container you can just drain some off by eye, jam the drain plug back in, wipe your hands and refill from the same container as necessary.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
How the hell am I supposed to make my bike into a streetfighter if the tank looks ugly as hell with the fairings off!? Not really a question unless you know where to get a cheap tank, but this is bullshit!

IAMKOREA fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 12, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
What do you do for helmets for occasional passengers? That is, if I sometimes give a friend or relative a ride, but infrequently enough that it's not practical to buy them their own helmet?

Can I get an open-face helmet in a medium size and a set of basic goggles, so I can temp-loan it to random friends who just want a short ride in the area? I figure that would be likely to fit a wide variety of people decently well.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

What do you do for helmets for occasional passengers? That is, if I sometimes give a friend or relative a ride, but infrequently enough that it's not practical to buy them their own helmet?

Can I get an open-face helmet in a medium size and a set of basic goggles, so I can temp-loan it to random friends who just want a short ride in the area? I figure that would be likely to fit a wide variety of people decently well.

Why not get full face? The area around the brain is what the helmet is made to fit, it's going to get too small up there way before it gets too small around the face.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Legerdemain posted:

My mirror has started to go out of adjustment on the freeway, any ideas to make the ball and socket a little... stickier?

Some mirrors have adjustment screws in the stem that can tighten them up. Try taking it off the bike and looking (unless it's obvious that there's no way it could).

Otherwise, I think you'd just have to buy new mirrors.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Only if you'd like to get them skin grafts or their jaws reattached. As IAMKOREA said, helmet size has nothing to do with additional measurements around the face.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Legerdemain posted:

Try rubbing the ball with an emory cloth. I've only read that this works, no personal experiences with it but I will be trying it on my droopy mirrors soon though

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Ah, I hadn't figured that full-face helmets wouldn't be any harder to fit than the halfs. So just get a Medium full-face to loan out for short rides, figuring it's likely to fit the average person?

While I'm here, what's the CA stance on bar-end mirrors? Standing by for "bell end" jokes

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

While I'm here, what's the CA stance on bar-end mirrors?
I dig mine. Way better than the crap stock ninja 250 ones. No longer do I have to look at my elbows all the time.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

While I'm here, what's the CA stance on bar-end mirrors? Standing by for "bell end" jokes

Installed a pair of motrax bar end mirrors today. They're great, they don't vibrate at all and I can see everything behind me instead of a little of what's behind me and my elbows. The only downside is they take more time to check than my old mirrors.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Mine works a lot better than my old mounted mirrors. The right side one would either vibrate all to hell (to loose) or stick to the throttle (to tight), so I'm just using one on the left bar. I look over to change lanes anyways, so one mirror for checking behind me is all I need.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
I loved my CRG bar end mirrors on my old SV650.

I don't know that I'd ever put them on a bike with clip-ons though. Seems way too awkward. Even though I do spend a lot of time staring at my elbows with the stock mirrors.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

AngryGuy posted:

I don't know that I'd ever put them on a bike with clip-ons though. Seems way too awkward. Even though I do spend a lot of time staring at my elbows with the stock mirrors.

Wow, lots of positive response. I'd just assumed that bar-ends were a hipster/retro thing that was good-looking but impractical. I just figured you'd see them a lot more often if they actually worked well.

I'm looking into getting a Triumph Bonneville, and if bar-ends indeed work decently I'm tempted to pick up a set. No idea how to avoid getting a poo poo brand though; there are tons on eBay for $25-45, but I'm suspicious of buying a product with no brand name, and just described as "High quality". The brand-name mirrors Triumph sells are $83 on their site (apiece?), so I'd imagine that good ones can be had for under $100 a set if I can figure out what brands to avoid/seek.

Seeing how cheap used clubman bars are online I'm tempted to do some semi-cafe mods if I get the Bonneville, since apparently changing bars is really easy, and $20-50 isn't a huge risk to take. If I hate the bars and end-mirrors I can probably just sell them on eBay and move on.

Any specific recommendations on which bar-end mirrors are good, or are the generic ones honestly just as good as the name-brand?

(yeah, that one's a Thruxton, but still a swoopy pic)

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
You really do get what you pay for with bar-end mirrors, at least in my experience.

For instance, I have no idea how people can cope with the cateye bicycle bar-end mirrors because they vibrate like hell on a motorcycle.

If you can swing the CRG mirrors (74.95 MSRP each for the standard model) or find them second hand from someone, I would highly recommend them. They are built incredibly well and they don't vibrate at all. I've never seen the stock triumph ones so I don't know what the quality is like on those.

Some people use the Motrax bar end mirrors that you can get from Cycle Gear but I was pretty disappointed with them.

Edit: Oh, and I don't have any experience with them but the Napoleon bar end mirrors would probably look pretty sexy on a Bonneville. The SVRider forums seemed to like them well enough when I was shopping around for them.

AngryGuy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 12, 2009

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Wow, lots of positive response. I'd just assumed that bar-ends were a hipster/retro thing that was good-looking but impractical. I just figured you'd see them a lot more often if they actually worked well.

I'm looking into getting a Triumph Bonneville, and if bar-ends indeed work decently I'm tempted to pick up a set. No idea how to avoid getting a poo poo brand though; there are tons on eBay for $25-45, but I'm suspicious of buying a product with no brand name, and just described as "High quality". The brand-name mirrors Triumph sells are $83 on their site (apiece?), so I'd imagine that good ones can be had for under $100 a set if I can figure out what brands to avoid/seek.

Seeing how cheap used clubman bars are online I'm tempted to do some semi-cafe mods if I get the Bonneville, since apparently changing bars is really easy, and $20-50 isn't a huge risk to take. If I hate the bars and end-mirrors I can probably just sell them on eBay and move on.

Any specific recommendations on which bar-end mirrors are good, or are the generic ones honestly just as good as the name-brand?

(yeah, that one's a Thruxton, but still a swoopy pic)

That's basically what I've got. The stock mirror's on the Bonny and Thruxton are garbage. Absolute trash. I was never able to adjust them to look at anything but my own goddamned chest. Almost two years after replacing them, I'm still angry at Triumph that these fucktarded wastes of metal and glass were ever attached to such amazing motorcycles. It would be like a brand new Mercedes coming with a rubber fake-wood steering wheel cover. My heart rate's up just thinkin' about 'em.

I may go in my garage and just shatter the OEM mirrors for fun now.

Thanks.

I'd suggest picking up a set of Napoleons, like in the picture. They're not too expensive, easy to come by and install, and the change in visibility is shocking. Hands down the best upgrade I ever did for the bike. There are other bar-end mirror options for the Triumphs, but they tend to be more expensive and much smaller.

The only drawback of Napoleons is that every retro-douchebag has 'em. Get over it - they made the right decision.

OrangeFurious fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 12, 2009

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

OrangeFurious posted:

I'd suggest picking up a set of Napoleons, like in the picture.

Are those napoleons? They don't stick up in the same way and they are chrome rather than the painted black that you normally get with the Napoleons. I don't think those look as good as the napoleon bar ends that I've seen.

Edit: I was going to post a picture of my SV650 with the CRG mirrors but I don't have any pictures with my CRG mirrors that aren't really terrible. I put them on and sold the bike not too much longer after that.

AngryGuy fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 12, 2009

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
With clubman bars, bar ends are the only practical alternative. They work pretty well, fair warning, they break off instantly in a parking lot tipover.

I had a regular mirror on this bike

and it was largely useless, there merely for legality.

That bike was my "Frankenbeezer", a 650 BSA twin in a Yamaha XS500 frame. That was the ultimate tinkerers bike and got pushed home a couple of times. Almost every ride ended with some sort of complication. Fueling got hosed, the electrics were part Lucas, stuff vibrated loose (the muffler!) it was loud, vibrated madly and very rarely did everything all work at the same time. Yep, I loved that bike. Sold it to help finance the BMW.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

AngryGuy posted:

Are those napoleons? They don't stick up in the same way and they are chrome rather than the painted black that you normally get with the Napoleons. I don't think those look as good as the napoleon bar ends that I've seen.

I'm fairly sure those are Napoleons.

I purchased mine from NewBonneville, and they had an option for chrome or black. I had to cut a metal flange off the bars to mount them, but it worked well and there's no vibration.

As far as the position of the mirrors, you've basically got three points to adjust. You can adjust the mirror itself (like everything else in the world), rotate the stock the mirror is on (your pic has 'em rotated out, you can also position the stock straight up so the glass is over the handles, or down so it's under the handles), and then you can adjust the lean of the mirror by where you choose to tighten it onto the bar.

The night infinite adjustability is one of the reasons they're so badass.

Not the best pick in the world, but here's mine with the black napoleons adjusted up:

OrangeFurious fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 12, 2009

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
The CRGs seemed like a rip-off to me, $85 for each plus $20 for each handlebar adapter. I guess mine are the Napolean style, got them for $30 each and won't be as angry if the bike happens to fall over.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Gnaghi posted:

The CRGs seemed like a rip-off to me, $85 for each plus $20 for each handlebar adapter. I guess mine are the Napolean style, got them for $30 each and won't be as angry if the bike happens to fall over.

Yeah, it's about $180 total to get set up for CRGs, and $60 for Napoleons. That said, CRGs have some neat features, like some sort of rubber seating which supposedly almost totally eliminates mirror vibration, mirrors that fold for storage, and the detente is also set so that if you smack something hard with the mirror it'll fold rather than snap.

quote:

[Napoleons] I purchased mine from NewBonneville, and they had an option for chrome or black. I had to cut a metal flange off the bars to mount them, but it worked well and there's no vibration.

Come again? The mirrors they sell specifically for Bonnies require permanent mods to the stock bars to even fit? That seems like some hassle.

Oh, and that's the deal with Napoleons being "Not DOT approved"? Are they too small, wrong angle, fragment like grenades during a wreck? Or do they just not meet some arbitrary standard, and/or the makers just didn't bother to submit them for approval?

Again, I'm interested in bar-ends, just trying to figure out why they're not standard if they're so great.

EDIT: Just for the sake of completeness, I'm running across good reviews of the Rizoma Retro bar-ends. Then again, they cost even more than the CRGs, like €99 each.

Apparently some of the sport set like to mount the Rizomas upside-down:

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 13, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
They're not standard, because any sort of tipover will destroy them.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Come again? The mirrors they sell specifically for Bonnies require permanent mods to the stock bars to even fit? That seems like some hassle.

I ride a Thruxton, so I don't know about the handlebars on Bonnies - Rope Kid might be able to help out there. On the Thruxton the bars have a cap on the end, preventing anything but an 8mm screw from being inserted into the bar. The Napoleon mirrors I bought are designed with a rubber sleeve that is pushed into the handlebar, then expands when a screw is tightened. I had to cut that off to fit them to the Thruxton. If Bonnies have hollow bars, the Napoleons will work fine without modification.

Note - I had to modify the mirrors, not the bars.

As far as the DOT approved thing goes, I assume the majority of parts I buy will not be DOT approved - especially aftermarket stuff. I don't know if I've seen an aftermarket part that is DOT approved. The manufacturers have to pay for that testing and certification and I'd imagine very few people care.

It's kinda like buying a case for your iPod - that "Made for iPod" logo just means the manufacturer paid Apple for certification. It says little or nothing about the quality of the product.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

OrangeFurious posted:

As far as the DOT approved thing goes, I assume the majority of parts I buy will not be DOT approved - especially aftermarket stuff. I don't know if I've seen an aftermarket part that is DOT approved. The manufacturers have to pay for that testing and certification and I'd imagine very few people care.

It's kinda like buying a case for your iPod - that "Made for iPod" logo just means the manufacturer paid Apple for certification. It says little or nothing about the quality of the product.

If your bike is subject to inspections, non-DOT approved items might be cause for failure, same if the rozzers want to find something to ticket you for.

OTOH, the headlights on my R1150GS are DOT approved and are famous for sucking horribly. They have the magic DOT stamp though, so they must be good! [/sarc]

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Popping in to say that I have Napoleons on my Ninja and they are pretty nice for the price. I get a little vibration, but I had to modify them to make them work due to the funky bars ninjas have. Still, they provide me a fair bit of visibility in exchange for probably being instantly destroyed if I drop the bike.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Went and tried to dig up info on ticketing for non-DOT mirrors. Couldn't find much, though a couple folks had been ticketed for bar-end turn signals, and one quoted a cop as saying "the turn signals have to be close to the stock position." Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, but whatever.

In any case, ran across a fourth brand of reputable bar-end: Oberon, which run about $50 per.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

They look like a cross between CRGs and Napoleons.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Nerobro posted:

They're not standard, because any sort of tipover will destroy them.

On the other hand you'll know pretty quickly if you're leaning into a corner too much

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I like those, but they remind me of this:

Click here for the full 1842x855 image.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Next time I take my bike out I'll try just glancing at my bar ends to figure out how uncomfortable it'd be to have to glance down there to see behind me.

I'm reading a few comments on other boards from folks who feel bar-ends give a poor view behind, are a hassle to turn your head towards, etc. Then again I think a lot of them are riding sporters.

Are bar-ends more awkward on sporters than they are on standards or cafe racers? Just looking at cafes, it seems mickey mouse (standard) mirrors would be hard to see without lifting your head up from the tuck, so I can see bar-ends being helpful. I'm still not sure how comfy I'd be with cafe/clubman bars, but it'd probably be easy to get a used set and throw 'em on for a bit to see if I dig it.

Dammit, I still can't hear/read "bar-end" without thinking "bell-end". It's awkward to not be able to describe a bike with a straight face.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

I'm reading a few comments on other boards from folks who feel bar-ends give a poor view behind, are a hassle to turn your head towards, etc. Then again I think a lot of them are riding sporters.

I don't move my head to check mine, or at least not to the extent I notice. I just flick my eyes. I don't have a ton of sport bike experience but I recall thinking the OEMs on a Triumph Daytona were inferior for visibility and ease of view to the Napoleons.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

OrangeFurious posted:

I don't move my head to check mine, or at least not to the extent I notice. I just flick my eyes. I don't have a ton of sport bike experience but I recall thinking the OEMs on a Triumph Daytona were inferior for visibility and ease of view to the Napoleons.

The visibility on the OEM mirrors on the Daytona is pretty bad. As I said, I stare at my elbows a whole lot. Still, the angle of the bar ends on the bike makes me think it would be really uncomfortable to be looking down at them all the time. Maybe I'm wrong. The helibars I haven't put on yet might also help.

I guess I should just try my CRGs and see how it is. Otherwise I should really sell them as they've just been sitting in my garage for months.

They definitely were an improvement to visibility over the stock SV650 mirrors. Those things are awful.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

More bikes that look like animals. This belongs right alongside the RC51

Only registered members can see post attachments!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I had the Oberon bar-end mirrors on my old Streetfighter. Combined with the Renthal Fat Bar, it was hard to split. There were width issues.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Yeah, it's about $180 total to get set up for CRGs, and $60 for Napoleons. That said, CRGs have some neat features, like some sort of rubber seating which supposedly almost totally eliminates mirror vibration, mirrors that fold for storage, and the detente is also set so that if you smack something hard with the mirror it'll fold rather than snap.

I paid $30 for a set of bar end mirrors.

They don't vibrate at speed, but obviously they don't have lots of fancy features. However, given the price, they're definitely worth a try - upgrade to something nice if you find you like them or they aren't performing adequately.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

laymil posted:

I paid $30 for a set of bar end mirrors.

They don't vibrate at speed, but obviously they don't have lots of fancy features. However, given the price, they're definitely worth a try - upgrade to something nice if you find you like them or they aren't performing adequately.

I've used those, CRGs, and the Napoleons. The Napoleons offer the best field of vision, are super adjustable but not foldable, and really good for visibility. The CRGs offer a very good field of vision as well, but in a much smaller mirror. The best thing about the CRGs is the folding bit, which the universals don't do. I had a fatbar on my triumph S3 with the napoleons and lane splitting was a bitch. With a big bar on the SV and the folding mirrors, though, it's pretty easy, just pop the mirror in, lane split, and pop it back out and it goes back to it's old position and is ready to go.

You can use the CRGs with the generic bar ends, too, so if you give it a shot with the cheapies and like it, you can just grab the CRG mirrors and put them on the other type of bar ends. I'm not a huge fan of the CRG bar ends anyways, as they seem crappily made (fell to pieces when I pulled them out of the clipons to swap them to the bars.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
Any suggestions for tires on a 03 Ninja 500, want something that handles good and has ok traction in the rain.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
BT45 or Sport Demons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I have Napoleon Bar End mirrors... like these:

http://www.google.com/products?q=Na...snum=1&ct=title

I like them quite a bit and they're actually pretty tough too. I would suggest keeping them waxed however, they'll dull out to a matte black/grey after awhile otherwise.