Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
This bar-end thing will take some pondering. I actually like the stock mirrors on my CB250, and can see a ton of road with only a slight flick of my eyes. I tried glancing down at my grips to get a feel for how tricky bar-ends would be, and it seems somewhat harder. I'll try out the stock mirrors on the Triumph (or whatever I end up upgrading too) first, and maybe get one cheapie bar-end just to feel out the principle before springing for a nice set.

Quick one: I've heard the jokes about using Armorall and then sliding off the back of your seat, but what do you use to treat the vinyl seat of your bike? I'm about to sell my CB250, so thought that putting $10 in supplies and an hour of elbow-grease would pay off in terms of making a better visual impression when I sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Where can I find a red circular lense like the one in this picture?

That's off a GS500. I'm adding a new light to my own bike and I need one as close to that as possible. I just don't know where to even start looking.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MrZig posted:

That's off a GS500. I'm adding a new light to my own bike and I need one as close to that as possible. I just don't know where to even start looking.

somebody parting out a GS500?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

blugu64 posted:

somebody parting out a GS500?

Nobody around here is doing so. I figure that some sort of company would make generic bulb lenses for custom control boxes and stuff?

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
Have you tried Jameco? It might be a bitch to find without a part number, but they have tons of electrical components.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ebay a shreded set of gauges?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

MrZig posted:

Are you in Canada? I saw indicator lights at Princess Auto that had an almost identical looking lens.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

8ender posted:

Are you in Canada? I saw indicator lights at Princess Auto that had an almost identical looking lens.

Yeah I am, I'll check out Princess Auto. Indicator lights eh.. Off of what? Or was it just in the store?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

MrZig posted:

Yeah I am, I'll check out Princess Auto. Indicator lights eh.. Off of what? Or was it just in the store?

They were small LED indicator lights. About and inch long with a top that looks just like the ones if your picture. Two or three different colours as well. I assume they were for wiring up your own dash lights. I think they were in the trailer/wiring section.

Edit: I think these were them but I swear there were a few different types.

8ender fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 14, 2009

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

8ender posted:

They were small LED indicator lights. About and inch long with a top that looks just like the ones if your picture. Two or three different colours as well. I assume they were for wiring up your own dash lights. I think they were in the trailer/wiring section.

Edit: I think these were them but I swear there were a few different types.

Those might work perfect. I'll definitely check out Princess Auto. Maybe Lordco too. Where are you from 8ender?

Edit: found this site http://www.action-electronics.com/pilotlights.htm

I basically need that in local store form, heh.

MrZig fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 14, 2009

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

MrZig posted:

Those might work perfect. I'll definitely check out Princess Auto. Maybe Lordco too. Where are you from 8ender?

Southern Ontario. I don't know of any other good places for that sort of thing around here except Forest City Surplus in London. They have all sorts of wacky poo poo and I wouldn't be surprised at all to find something like those indicators there.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

MrZig posted:

The part suggested for you looks like it would require some different wiring. The lens that you have circled is just that, a cover, and there's a tiny little bulb hidden underneath. I'm not sure whether you're looking for a lens, to fill in a hole, or an LED assembly.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Simkin posted:

The part suggested for you looks like it would require some different wiring. The lens that you have circled is just that, a cover, and there's a tiny little bulb hidden underneath. I'm not sure whether you're looking for a lens, to fill in a hole, or an LED assembly.

Here's the deal.

I recently found out that the engine on my GS400 has an oil pressure switch, yet the bike never came with a light. What I'm trying to do is drill a hole through the black plastic case that fits between the gauges and mount my own light for it.

I have both wires already (+ and -), I just need some sort of way to make a red light fit in the hole. Whether it be an entire LED assembly, or a lense cap + a bulb underneath, I dont care as long as it works and looks OK.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So how many of you wear something aside from boots while just doing some general commuting and puttin' around town? I'm not going to lie. I'm usually wearing my slip on shoes with pretty much no support.

I have my slip on work boots which I wear sometimes that are much better than a flat sole shoe with no ankle support but I don't think they offer that much greater of protection. Granted, it's better than what I'm wearing now.

I hardly ever hit the freeways and if I do it's only for 2-4 miles. Granted, it only takes one time. Have a partner at work who almost had his foot amputated and pretty much tore everything off because he was wearing jack percels and dumped it because he got cut off on the freeway doing 80.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Radio Shack might have those lamps and lenses, dunno if you have them in Canada.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Christoff posted:

Yeah, you really don't want to be wearing those when you dump your bike, and have it slide on top of you. :gonk:

mrzig: I guess in that case, those LEDs would probably be your best bet, as they'd be easier to weatherproof, and probably a good deal cheaper.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I wear some leather lace up boots with decent non-slip soles. They have no real ankle protection, though.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I wear Army style boots which also don't have any ankle protection except for good thick leather. I am looking into getting a new set of motorcycling boots but have dreaded doing the research. I probably need to wade into the gear thread one of these days and have a look at what people are wearing.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

MrZig posted:

If you find out one that fits let me know, since I need the lens for the blue one. if I turn on my hibeams I get a nice bright bulb right in the eye. :downs:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

BotchedLobotomy posted:

If you find out one that fits let me know, since I need the lens for the blue one. if I turn on my hibeams I get a nice bright bulb right in the eye. :downs:

Go buy some colored tape and put some over it. What I did on my GS when the high beam and neutral lenses vibrated out.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
My brand new gladius is having occasional trouble shifting from second to third gear. I assume this is due to the new clutch cable stretching, so I adjusted it. Seems to be working better now.

So the probably stupid question that I never got around to asking with the old bike:

When you pull the lever, there's a part of the pull where the cable tightens up inside the housing, but the clutch hasn't released yet. You're supposed to adjust so there's like 1/8" of play in the lever. Should I be adjusting so that at rest, the cable is entirely slack (like the cable end is loose in the lever), or should the slack be removed, but it's 1/8" from when the clutch actually starts to disengage?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You want it adjusted so that there's no tension on the cable when the clutch lever is completely released. The 1/8th inch is just to make sure that people adjust it so that when you let go of the lever, the clutch is completely engaged.

Bike transmissions can take a little while to break in as well.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Z3n posted:

You want it adjusted so that there's no tension on the cable when the clutch lever is completely released. The 1/8th inch is just to make sure that people adjust it so that when you let go of the lever, the clutch is completely engaged.

Bike transmissions can take a little while to break in as well.
Got it, thanks. I've been confused on that, since the clutch seems a little more responsive when it's too tight, but I realize the problems with that, so I've been erring on the looser side. Good to know I was guessing right on that.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Stupid question, but what is that tape called that you see wrapped around exhaust pipes on cafe racers and streetfighters and such? And where can I get some?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ari.gato posted:

Stupid question, but what is that tape called that you see wrapped around exhaust pipes on cafe racers and streetfighters and such? And where can I get some?

Usually called something like header wrap or exhaust wrap. You can get it pretty much anywhere.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

BotchedLobotomy posted:

You didn't buy my old bike by and chance, did you? :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ari.gato posted:

Jegs, Summit, whoever. 'Exhaust wrap'

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/1202563/10002/-1

Even better, wire wrap and (optionally) spray some high temp clearcoat over the exhaust wrap

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Just remember, that when the instructions tell you to use gloves when applying it, loving listen. Nobody likes fibreglass rash. :cry:

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Does that stuff cause the exhaust to rot out more quickly? That's the only thing keeping me from wrapping my exhausts in it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

God-damned Pilates posted:

Does that stuff cause the exhaust to rot out more quickly? That's the only thing keeping me from wrapping my exhausts in it.

It can make it crack...

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Bugdrvr posted:

I wear Army style boots which also don't have any ankle protection except for good thick leather. I am looking into getting a new set of motorcycling boots but have dreaded doing the research. I probably need to wade into the gear thread one of these days and have a look at what people are wearing.

I have a set of Sidi riding boots which have none of that armor or plastic cladding or whatever it is... just a round section of reinforced leather on the inside of the ankle. As long as you lace the boots up tight I figure they're fine for most riding. They'll give you extra support and tough leather offers all the abrasion resistance you need.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
On the topic of boots, does anyone know a good LA area shop to try on a few pairs? The places I've been to usually have one or two pairs of trillion dollar Sidi robo-legs, a single pair of Joe Rocket "motorcycle shoes" (aka ugly sneakers) and motocross gear. I have yet to see anything in between.

I've also yet to find a pair from new enough that fit, hence the need for someplace local.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Quick (tubeless) tire question: my rear has a definite leak around the valve stem, I checked it out with the old soap & water trick. Is there anything I can do to fix the leak temporarily enough to ride it home (~100km on <90km/h roads) that doesn't involve taking the whole wheel & tire off and replacing the valve stem, or is that simply the best thing to do?

On a side note: I had been thinking about changing the tires out anyway for whatever reason even though there's plenty of tread left on both, and while troubleshooting this leak I finally looked up the DOT numbers to finally figure out the age of these things: almost 9 years! So I'm definitely looking to replace these soon as I can, but ideally not until I get it back to my place and out of my parents' garage :)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

OrangeFurious posted:

On the topic of boots, does anyone know a good LA area shop to try on a few pairs? The places I've been to usually have one or two pairs of trillion dollar Sidi robo-legs, a single pair of Joe Rocket "motorcycle shoes" (aka ugly sneakers) and motocross gear. I have yet to see anything in between.

I've also yet to find a pair from new enough that fit, hence the need for someplace local.

Red Wing Shoes has a large selection and they're pretty comfortable to boot.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/Locator.aspx?ZipCode=&City=Los%20Angeles&State=CA&Country=US

EDIT: Ugh, I didn't mean to do that. :downsrim:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 15, 2009

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Are chains supposed to make noise around the front sprocket?

I just put a new chain on my GS400 and when I turn the back wheel, the chain makes a.. Not really a grinding noise but more of a knocking/rapping/tapping noise around the front sprocket. Is it just chain noise? I don't think the chain is rubbing on anything, as it's the exact same chain as specified (530 104 link). The sprocket is 1 tooth smaller (15T). Could it just be regular chain noise? I'll try and take a video tomorrow in my own thread with the big update I have planned.

MrZig fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 15, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Still looking for advice on "what do I use to clean/protect the vinyl seat without making it slippery and becoming a YouTube sensation?"

Googled a bit and read a review promoting Turtle Wax Clear Guard, which apparently is non-slippery. Any last minute recommendations before I go buy this stuff tomorrow?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

MrZig posted:

I just put a new chain on my GS400 and when I turn the back wheel, the chain makes a.. Not really a grinding noise but more of a knocking/rapping/tapping noise around the front sprocket. Is it just chain noise? I don't think the chain is rubbing on anything, as it's the exact same chain as specified (530 104 link). The sprocket is 1 tooth smaller (15T). Could it just be regular chain noise? I'll try and take a video tomorrow in my own thread with the big update I have planned.

Did you replace the sprocket at the same time? If not, I'll bet you the teeth are hooked. Don't ride it like that, you'll ruin the new chain.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Still looking for advice on "what do I use to clean/protect the vinyl seat without making it slippery and becoming a YouTube sensation?"

Googled a bit and read a review promoting Turtle Wax Clear Guard, which apparently is non-slippery. Any last minute recommendations before I go buy this stuff tomorrow?

Have not tried it myself, but apparently 303 Aerospace Protectant is like gods gift to vinyl. A little google-fu says it's non-slippery so long as you don't overapply and get a film left behind on the seat... I actually have two bottles of this stuff and I was going to use it on the dash of my car, but have not gotten around to it yet.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I put some back to black on my VFR seat and it seemed to shine it right up without making it too slick. YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

MrZig posted:

Remember how thoroughly you cleaned that puppy? Clean chains can be a little noisy.