Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Gnomad posted:

Did you replace the sprocket at the same time? If not, I'll bet you the teeth are hooked. Don't ride it like that, you'll ruin the new chain.

Brand new front and rear sprockets as well as chain.

quote:

Remember how thoroughly you cleaned that puppy? Clean chains can be a little noisy.

I figured it's probably just normal chain noise. I'll run it and see how it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

MrZig posted:

You might as well double check and make sure you have the wheel evenly adjusted on both sides, too.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

bobula posted:

You might as well double check and make sure you have the wheel evenly adjusted on both sides, too.

Wheel is aligned perfectly on the marks.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Do two strokes also burn gear oil? If not I have a leak somewhere because I checked the level this morning and I had to tilt the bike almost on top of myself to see anything in the sight glass.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

MrZig posted:

Wheel is aligned perfectly on the marks.
That isn't always straight though. I'm assuming you have enough slack in the chain?

I've had new chains make a kind of "squish squish" sound.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Budgie posted:

Do two strokes also burn gear oil? If not I have a leak somewhere because I checked the level this morning and I had to tilt the bike almost on top of myself to see anything in the sight glass.

They aren't supposed to, but if one of the seals in the transmission is leaking, I could see the engine sucking in some gear oil.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Gnomad posted:

That isn't always straight though. I'm assuming you have enough slack in the chain?

I've had new chains make a kind of "squish squish" sound.

There's about an inch of slack in the chain. All the noise is coming from up front. It's kind of like a tapping sound. Like a train rolling across tracks. Almost like a card in the spokes. I'll try and get a video.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

MrZig posted:

There's about an inch of slack in the chain. All the noise is coming from up front. It's kind of like a tapping sound. Like a train rolling across tracks. Almost like a card in the spokes. I'll try and get a video.

I've always had new chains kinda "sizzle" as the chain went around the front sprocket. The chain noise would change as the chain wore in.

Did you tighten the front sprocket properly?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

MrZig posted:

You mentioned a 1-tooth reduction? Smaller sprockets also make more chain noise.* The noise is basically the sound of the teeth engaging and disengaging the links. Smaller sprockets do that faster, and at a greater angle.

*Per my bicycle experience. I assume it applies to motorcycles.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

chryst posted:

Your experience holds true.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

chryst posted:

You mentioned a 1-tooth reduction? Smaller sprockets also make more chain noise.* The noise is basically the sound of the teeth engaging and disengaging the links. Smaller sprockets do that faster, and at a greater angle.

I was just going to post this. New chains can be noisy, and smaller tooth sprockets are noisier. Check that there's no side to side play in the front sprocket, if there's not, you're good to go.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Question to motorcycle goons, would you ride from Florida to Connecticut on a 96 rebel 250?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

OrangeCrush posted:

Question to motorcycle goons, would you ride from Florida to Connecticut on a 96 rebel 250?

If I had the time, yes.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

OrangeCrush posted:

If its in good mechanical shape, hell yes.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Hell yes.

I'd love to do it on my XR125, but I'm insane.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I am in the keys now, bought a one way ticket, and saw a rebel on cl for 1300/bo, if i can get it for a grand, I will take the trip. Id rather mail my luggage back and take a journey instead of buying a plane ticket back. What would i do about registration though? I am a CT resident.

quote:

1996 Honda Rebel, 10,687 miles, in very good condition, never been laid down, custom Pink Paint, with saddle bags and nearly new tires. Clear Title. Includes two helmets, one brand new and one full-face. Also includes Honda Service Manual and tool kit.

new tires you hear me!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

OrangeCrush posted:

I am in the keys now, bought a one way ticket, and saw a rebel on cl for 1300/bo, if i can get it for a grand, I will take the trip. Id rather mail my luggage back and take a journey instead of buying a plane ticket back. What would i do about registration though? I am a CT resident.

new tires you hear me!

I'd be leery of attempting a 1k+ mile doom march on a bike with unknown history. That said Pink custom paint should get you through.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

blugu64 posted:

I'd be leery of attempting a 1k+ mile doom march on a bike with unknown history. That said Pink custom paint should get you through.

well i will say that i know my way around an engine and can fix just about anything that coudl break and be fixed roadside. But that is really my only concern, I found a rebel forum now that im browsing for info, is there a cycle asylum IRC channel? I dont want to flood this thread up.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Not all 250's are the same... A ninja 250 is freeway capable, but a rebel 250 is only kinda sorta freeway capable. Top speed with luggage is probably like 65mph assuming you don't have to go up any hills. This isn't a problem if you're going to avoid the freeways of course.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

OrangeCrush posted:

well i will say that i know my way around an engine and can fix just about anything that coudl break and be fixed roadside. But that is really my only concern, I found a rebel forum now that im browsing for info, is there a cycle asylum IRC channel? I dont want to flood this thread up.

#bieks on irc.synirc.org (note the spelling)

careful of #bikes though, I think there's sweaty men in lycra in there.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Nerobro posted:

I've always had new chains kinda "sizzle" as the chain went around the front sprocket. The chain noise would change as the chain wore in.

Did you tighten the front sprocket properly?

By "Properly" what do you mean? I simply took the old one off, put the new one on, put that folding tab over the splines and cranked the nut down, using the chain to stop it from turning. Then rebent the tab ofcourse.

quote:

I was just going to post this. New chains can be noisy, and smaller tooth sprockets are noisier. Check that there's no side to side play in the front sprocket, if there's not, you're good to go.

That's what I figured, just normal chain noise. I'll give it a test run and if it's extreme then something is obviously bad. First test ride in two weeks today! On brand new tires and chain! :)

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Orange Someone posted:

#bieks on irc.synirc.org (note the spelling)

careful of #bikes though, I think there's sweaty men in lycra in there.

hmm did not work, thanks anyways, Ill cehck this thread later on see what some more opinions are, I left the guy a message lets see if he will deal.

vrrooomm

edit- I wasnt doing it right, IRC working.

always be closing fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 15, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

MrZig posted:

By "Properly" what do you mean? I simply took the old one off, put the new one on, put that folding tab over the splines and cranked the nut down, using the chain to stop it from turning. Then rebent the tab ofcourse.

Dude, there's no telling what people will do :-)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

OrangeCrush posted:

hmm did not work, thanks anyways, Ill cehck this thread later on see what some more opinions are, I left the guy a message lets see if he will deal.

vrrooomm

edit- I wasnt doing it right, IRC working.

How tall are you? If you're over 6' you're going to be sitting on the pillion to be comfortable.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
How big a difference does fairings/a windshield make?

Riding my naked GS400 on the highway is pretty intense, and I was just curious how big a difference it would be if it wasn't naked. IE for my next bike. Or I might even buy a windshield for my bike if it's worth it.

Obviously a gigantic goldwing windshield and fairings are going to be better, but what about the smaller ones?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MrZig posted:

Obviously a gigantic goldwing windshield and fairings are going to be better, but what about the smaller ones?

A huge difference.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Pussy.

I considered it too on my 1980 GS550... Give it a few weeks before you go "oh this is crazy"

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

MrZig posted:

How big a difference does fairings/a windshield make?

Riding my naked GS400 on the highway is pretty intense, and I was just curious how big a difference it would be if it wasn't naked. IE for my next bike. Or I might even buy a windshield for my bike if it's worth it.

It will make some difference, obviously, but you'll like riding it naked in the summer, as there's nothing to obstruct airflow. Nothing like sweaty balls to make a ride suck. :(

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Nerobro posted:

Pussy.

I considered it too on my 1980 GS550... Give it a few weeks before you go "oh this is crazy"

Haha I'm not throwing anything on it yet. It just seems so wild at highway speeds. I'll give it a shot but I'm probably going to want a windshield.

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

MrZig posted:

Haha I'm not throwing anything on it yet. It just seems so wild at highway speeds. I'll give it a shot but I'm probably going to want a windshield.

You get used to it, especially if you've never ridden a faired/shielded bike before.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I actually prefer unfaired/un-windshielded bikes on the highway. You'll usually find that there is a nice blast of air that you can sort of lean into, and its really smooth. Honestly, the only time I experience bad turbulence on my Bandit on the highway is if i'm in the wake of a semi.

Every faired bike I've ridden on the highway has kept a lot of wind off me, but has been a buffeting hell, and extremely noisy as a result.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Agree. Either the windshield needs to deflect all the wind, or none of it. I test rode a big BMW tourer last year, with the fairing all the way up (adjustable with button, cool) and me crouching slightly behind it it was perfect. But the windshield screwed with the optics, it felt weird looking through it.

A popular mod for the R1200GS is an additional deflector on top of the windshield, I would definitely get one too as all the deflected wind hit me straight in the face. The blast and the buzzing almost gave me a seizure.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Windshield pros:

- Deflects bugs
- Deflects wind and reduces noise
- Can duck behind it in the rain

Windshield cons:

- Acts like a loving sail in a heavy crosswind :siren:
- Might change optics if you have to look through it
- If it's not high enough, might send the wind right into your face / cause buffeting

To me, it's all about the bugs and wind deflection:

With windshield:

Without:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Odd little thing with my Honda CB250: neutral is almost impossible to hit unless I'm moving. All other shifting is fine except going into Neutral whilst standing still.

I've literally gone back and forth from 1 to 2 a dozen times at a stretch, getting a little flicker of green in my indicator light but then sliding past to the next gear. However, if I'm on the move I can easily (often accidentally) hit Neutral if I don't give it a good kick coming up from 1st or down from 2d.

Any idea why it would be doing this? That's not normal, right?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Odd little thing with my Honda CB250: neutral is almost impossible to hit unless I'm moving. All other shifting is fine except going into Neutral whilst standing still.

I've literally gone back and forth from 1 to 2 a dozen times at a stretch, getting a little flicker of green in my indicator light but then sliding past to the next gear. However, if I'm on the move I can easily (often accidentally) hit Neutral if I don't give it a good kick coming up from 1st or down from 2d.

Maybe. Both my Hondas have been like that to a point. I can still find N at a stop, although it can take a couple tries.

Also, while in motion, make sure you are shifting with authority, as I like to think of it. It will save you the embarrassment of revving the engine a bunch and nothing happening when you're trying to get going.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

This happened on all the MSF bikes in my course, and they were all Nighthawk 250's. I think it's just the design and age, honestly.

edit: ONLY my red one did it 100% of the time. I got the lemon. Everyone else it was more like 30% of the time.

George RR Fartin fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 16, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Happened all the time at the MSF class. Sometimes happens on my Vulcan. What I do is put the bike in 1st, preload the lever, roll the bike forward, and then lift it into N. For some reason I can get it every time when the rear wheel is turning and it's second nature now.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
From time to time my EX250 won't go into neutral without letting the clutch out and bringing it back in. Its annoying because I typically have to turn the bike off to do that, otherwise I'd end up rolling into stuff. This typically happens when I come to a stop in a gear other than 1st or 2nd and have to downshift a bit without moving.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

sklnd posted:

From time to time my EX250 won't go into neutral without letting the clutch out and bringing it back in. Its annoying because I typically have to turn the bike off to do that, otherwise I'd end up rolling into stuff. This typically happens when I come to a stop in a gear other than 1st or 2nd and have to downshift a bit without moving.

If my bike won't go into a gear (stopping in 3rd and trying to get into 1st, for example), I too need to let up on the clutch. However, I hold the brake when I do it and don't let it out enough to stall the engine. Just a little bit until the revs start to drop a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
How safe are those rubber-string-based plug kits to ride on? I'm stuck at my school with a flat tire, and the only auto parts store I could find only had the plug kit with a reamer, a needle-like tool, the string material, and rubber cement. I've followed the included instructions on applying the stuff, and rubber-cemented the plug area for good measure, and am waiting for it to cure before I attempt to ride home.