Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!
http://dgusa.tv/ just launched.

It doesn't have much so far except for some merch, contacts and A LIVE US EVENT ANNOUNCED!

Dragon Gate USA
July 25th- 7:30 pm belltime
The Arena (former New Alhambra Arena/ECW Arena)
7 Ritner Street, Philadelphia, PA 19148

Tickets go on sale April 29th. Check back on April 27th for info on how to order.

They're also working on a show for Chicago it says at this link.
http://dgusa.tv/featurearticles2.htm

Oh, and here are the guys in charge:

TheDuelies fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I asked Gabe for a Q&A a few weeks ago. He told me to ask him again later. I wonder if this is why.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Update on the above: Gabe has agreed to an interview! So gimme some puro-related questions to throw his way.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Ditch posted:

Update on the above: Gabe has agreed to an interview! So gimme some puro-related questions to throw his way.

Will DGUSA attempt to build a working relationship with the talent from NOAH (or other companies), to give us multi promotional matches like those seen at the Ring of Honor Japan shows?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

From today's Observer...

quote:

Seven wrestlers from CHIKARA Pro, Fire Ant, Soldier Ant, Crossbones, Chuck Taylor, Ultramantis Black, Shane Matthews and Jagged, will be appearing for Big Japan from 6/9 to 6/14.

Guess the rumors were wrong on some of the names (Kingston, Quack, etc.)

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Quack has to be going. That's confusing.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Ditch posted:

Quack has to be going. That's confusing.

To be fair, he's supposed to have semi-major back surgery this year...maybe he dropped out for this?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
He'll be wrestling at least through May, and no way will he have surgery right before going to Japan even if he doesn't wrestle.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Ditch posted:

I asked Gabe for a Q&A a few weeks ago. He told me to ask him again later. I wonder if this is why.

How was the language barrier? Were people like kobashi and misawa sociable, or just came out and elbowed/chopped people?

What are promotions or people that he would most like to work with in the future?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

He'll be wrestling at least through May, and no way will he have surgery right before going to Japan even if he doesn't wrestle.

Big Japan is flying everyone out on their own dime... but only if they agree to work light tube death matches every night.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ditch posted:

Was there anyone he wanted/tried to bring in, but couldn't? What did he have planned for them?

And just for fun, ask him what he thinks about guys like Abby, Jr. and Mr. Pogo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ask him what are the differences in dealing with Dragon Gate, NOAH, and New Japan, and why does he love sushi so much.

JavyOO7
Dec 4, 2005
y halo thar?
Where does he see DGUSA in five years?

Eugene Jerome
Jun 24, 2005

by angerbeet
Will the US talent used on Dragon Gate USA shows be flown over for Dragon Gate shows in Japan?

Would a working relationship between Dragon Gate USA and CHIKARA be considered?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Eugene Jerome posted:

Will the US talent used on Dragon Gate USA shows be flown over for Dragon Gate shows in Japan?

Would a working relationship between Dragon Gate USA and CHIKARA be considered?

Gabe has really been talking up Chikara big time on his myspace blog so a lot of people seem to think there will be some kind of working relationship between the two.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There really isn't a need for a working relationship since CHIKARA is just an indy, and Gabe knows the talent from CHIKARA he would want to use. I'm guessing the two sides will talk to avoid conflicts and stuff, but I doubt there's a need for an actual working relationship.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Can somebody please elaborate on Jae's quote in Ditch's interview with him that Ultimo Dragon is insane and an egomaniac?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TheDuelies posted:

Oh, and here are the guys in charge:

Why do the heads all look photoshopped on?

Also, I'm down for a Chicago show. Fieldhouse, baby!

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

There really isn't a need for a working relationship since CHIKARA is just an indy, and Gabe knows the talent from CHIKARA he would want to use. I'm guessing the two sides will talk to avoid conflicts and stuff, but I doubt there's a need for an actual working relationship.

I think they would want a bit of a relationship. Chikara could advertise DGUSA at their Arena shows, and they can schedule the shows around each other better. Not to mention maybe some appearances by certain stars...

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

M.Kishiwada posted:

Can somebody please elaborate on Jae's quote in Ditch's interview with him that Ultimo Dragon is insane and an egomaniac?
For a big Toryumon show he put together a dream match AND FLEW IN DISCO INFERNO TO BE IN IT.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Ditch posted:

For a big Toryumon show he put together a dream match AND FLEW IN DISCO INFERNO TO BE IN IT.

Point taken.

Show was still loving great.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

All I know about Ultimo these days is from a Osaka Pro show I watched. It was an 8 man tag where he hit his signature move and that was it. Pretty much everyone had to work around him. Then he more-or-less demanded that the other wrestlers carry him out like he was the Messiah of the Moonsaults.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Good news: Ibushi will be in this year's Best of the Super Juniors tournament

Bad news: The NJ juniors division is the worst it's ever been

Quite an achievement for him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm not too up on the NJ junior scene these days. Would they let an outsider to the company win it?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Here's to hoping they get Shelley for the tournament!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
There's no way a skinny indy dude is winning it. If it was like KENTA or Marufuji, who are established, then maybe.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Wasn't Sabin in another New Japan tournament last year?

I'm not talking about him winning anything, all I want is a nice little Shelley vs Liger match. There are certainly worse people to stick in your Jr. tournament than your Jr.-Tag champs.

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!

Illinois Smith posted:

Wasn't Sabin in another New Japan tournament last year?

Maybe you're thinking about : 1) Sabin won the All Japan Jr. tournament a few years ago (want to say 2007) OR 2) Jimmy Rave was in the New Japan Best of the Super Jrs. tournament last year(and did pretty okay for an American guy, something like tied for a semifinalist spot but the other guy had a victory over him) OR 3) Chris Sabin was in the CMLL Gran Prix cibernetico last year (which Alex Shelley won).

TheDuelies fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 17, 2009

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Right, it was the AJPW thing.

I forgot all about Rave, if that guy can get in Shelley should be a no-brainer. Come oooooonnnnnnnnn.

Also, ~THE HARD LUCK SOLDIERS~ is a drat fine tour name.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
NOAH's show today with Akiyama vs Shiozaki likely won't air for a couple weeks. If you're hoping to stay spoiler-free that long, I salute you. edit: It'll air later this week!

Akiyama won of course

Ditch fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 19, 2009

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I just started watching my first puro show (I randomly got NJPW Destruction 08). I love it so far, and I think I'm becoming a big New Japan fan.

I can kind of pick up what's going on from their video recaps, but of course not speaking Japanese hurts the process. How important is it to follow the storylines, and how do you generally do it?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The storylines aren't particularly important. There are SOME, so for a given card I can run down any relevant backstory.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

NOAH VS. NJPW

1. Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Genba Hirayanagi vs. Jushin Thunder Liger & Koji Kanemoto
2. Kenta Kobashi & Akihiko Ito vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Kazuchika Okada

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Liger is so great at these interpromotional feuds. Really looking forward to seeing him on the green mat again, should be good times. Weird to see him booked against the rudo stable though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So, reading the OP, NJPW seemed like a dying company at the time. Is that still the case? Is there any one promotion I should be following? I don't really have tons of time to watch wrasslin', so I'd rather just watch one and get familiar with their stars. NOAH seems to be the big one now?

Edit: Although thinking about it, they don't have that many events. It's not like WWE, where you have to watch 3 shows a week + PPVs. Maybe I'll just watch NOAH & NJPW

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 20, 2009

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
That was 4 years ago. New Japan is doing better now and NOAH had a poor 2008.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

triplexpac posted:

So, reading the OP, NJPW seemed like a dying company at the time. Is that still the case? Is there any one promotion I should be following? I don't really have tons of time to watch wrasslin', so I'd rather just watch one and get familiar with their stars. NOAH seems to be the big one now?

Edit: Although thinking about it, they don't have that many events. It's not like WWE, where you have to watch 3 shows a week + PPVs. Maybe I'll just watch NOAH & NJPW

Dragon gate is rising, and has a weekly TV show now
New Japan is on top, doing sane things again
All Japan is pretty low, but doing alright I guess
NOAH lost their TV deal, had a poor 2008, and may be dying, or it may not be (still roughly the second best, and most likely to put on AWESOME matches. Other guys just probably put on more solid cards, and have crazy things like booking).

Oh, and in terms of styles

dragon gate- flippy no selly by tiny flippy pretty boys
new japan- "strong style" technically with more of an MMA basis, in terms of match flow. Feautres plotlines, big stars, don't know if they have promos
all japan- I'm not sure if they still use the kings road stlye, which is the style that made them great. Faction warfare based, I think
NOAH- no plotlines, sport of wrestling, kings road style.

Feel free to correct me on anything here.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 21, 2009

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Yeah, it's easy to watch multiple Japan promotions in the time it takes to watch WWE. Especially once you learn what undercard matches/wrestlers to avoid (most of them).

New Japan got bailed out by videogame company Yukes, who only did it because NJ dying would hurt their wrestling games. Yukes lost a lot of money keeping NJ afloat, but in the process the company has stabilized and they're better both from a 'year-to-year continuity' aspect and especially from a 'not losing millions a year' aspect. They're #1 due to being able to draw 5000 fans the most times a year, though NOAH is tops in Tokyo. In mid/late 2005, NJ was at its worst from a profit/stability standpoint and NOAH was at it peak, and that was the only time ever that NOAH had a case for being #1 in Japan.

triple, it might be worth your while to check out the Saturday Puro thread. Even though it's 2000-2002, the stars and styles are largely the same. Figure out what looks good and go from there!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
This week: More!

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2009/04/23/puroresu-pulse-issue-147-more-with-jae/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The future Mrs. CIMA: http://www.marumegane.com/blog_images/elenie.jpg