Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I dunno, what are the odds that Retro will get big in the next 10 years? I wouldn't mind a re-issue of Ariel or Norton if they were made well.

There was a Norton remake that was supposed to come out that was a cafe racer style bike built around the RC51 engine...that's something that I would have loved to see. There's the Norton rotary that's undergoing testing now, which is pretty sweet as well. Maybe if funding sticks around and we're lucky, we'll see a norton ridden in anger in a racing class someday soon.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/14/video-norton-nrv588-rotary-powered-motorcycle-in-action/

The sound it makes is amazing.

Supposedly norton has found funding again and is building a factory. We'll see. Maybe Norton can be the next triumph rebuild from the ashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

VTNewb posted:

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/1133767268.html

Not running for 6 years, what do I offer.
buy that asap. but don't pay anywhere near what that guy is asking.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
So my friend contacted the two GS500's in that list that were in his price range, Simkin, and neither replied. He found this though

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1133962466.html

He's going to see if the guy will wait for him. The thing is, it's an American bike. Anything I/he should be aware of?

Oh and the plan is for me to ride it back to Kelowna. Alll-right. Coquihalla on a Ninja 250 :cool:

MrZig fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 23, 2009

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Z3n posted:

I'm so angry that I missed the days when Vincents were available for a relatively reasonable price. Maybe now that the economy has crashed prices will come back down and I'll have the chance to one day own one. Ideally, it'll be about 10 years down the road when I have enough money and have damaged my body enough that supersport bikes are no longer appealing. :xd:

Aren't there still a company or two out there who make the Egli-Vincent bikes? Obviously reproduction, but still using vincent motors and the Egli design.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gr3y posted:

Aren't there still a company or two out there who make the Egli-Vincent bikes? Obviously reproduction, but still using vincent motors and the Egli design.

They're gorgeous. :3: They're made in france.

I'd never heard of them before, though. For me, the appeal in a vincent would be the fact that it's probably not a very good motorcycle, all told, but it's so much faster than it should be. I want to see what it's like to ride a motorcycle that's just drastically wrong for going fast, but does it anyways.

Dr. Video Games 0117
May 25, 2006
On dates I like to...
Moving up from a 2008 250R, should I look more towards a SV650 or something around that size? Is it even reasonable to think about a cheaper FJR, given its engine size? I just want a sport touring, wah.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

quote:

I just want a sport touring, wah.

Well, are you set on an FJR? There's plenty of sport touring bikes in the marketplace, you just have to set out what you want out of it, and how much you're willing to spend. All of the Japanese, German, British, and Italian marques make or have made ST bikes, and there's a bike out there to suit pretty much any desire you have. Just looking at new Japanese bikes:

Suzuki: V-strom (sure, it's a dual sport, but that's about as close as Suzuki gets)
Honda: VFR (the newer ones look to be more sport tourer, the older ones looked a little more sport tourer),
ST1300 (kerb weight 719lbs :gonk: )
Yamaha: FJR1300 - pretty nice looking bike. If you don't mind going older, Yamaha used to sell smaller displacement sport tourers, including an FJ1100 and an FJ600 (miss ya, buddy :cry: )
Kawasaki: Concours - looks pretty similar to the FJR, with a bit extra weight to lug around, and more engine to do so

I haven't had any experience on any of the sport touring bikes over a litre, so I can't offer any opinions on those, other than benchracing, but I do know that as far as the smaller displacement ST bikes go, the V-strom is pretty drat comfortable and capable. Personally? I'd look for a well maintained VFR750, or maybe a Triump ST if I felt a bit more adventurous.

MrZig posted:

He's going to see if the guy will wait for him. The thing is, it's an American bike. Anything I/he should be aware of?

Oh and the plan is for me to ride it back to Kelowna. Alll-right. Coquihalla on a Ninja 250 :cool:

The only problem I found with American import bikes is actually bringing them in. Once they're in (and ICBC has taken their pound of flesh), it's treated as any other vehicle. That does seem like a shitton of miles on a three year old bike, but then again, the price seems in line with the market in Van.

Here's a couple of other bikes, just in case he wants options.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1135899130.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1135810527.html <- Oh god, don't look at this one, you'll want it for yourself.

Simkin fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 23, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
That 550ES is wha tI ride. It's got the wrong tank on it.. so it's either a new tank, or it's a E to ES conversion.

I'd buy that over the CBR250. Torque has it's uses, the CBR250 won't have it.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Simkin posted:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1135810527.html <- Oh god, don't look at this one, you'll want it for yourself.

How the gently caress do you make a bike from 1987 look like that? If I wanted a 250 like that I would have to go out and buy a shiny new one. Does anyone know if an older Ninjete has been done like that? Because that is a stellar looking little bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gr3y posted:

How the gently caress do you make a bike from 1987 look like that? If I wanted a 250 like that I would have to go out and buy a shiny new one. Does anyone know if an older Ninjete has been done like that? Because that is a stellar looking little bike.

It's just a tail conversion and a nice angle. The rest of the bike is still vintage 250.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people do tail swaps and the angle of the top of the tail doesn't even come close to matching the angle of the tank.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Simkin posted:

The only problem I found with American import bikes is actually bringing them in. Once they're in (and ICBC has taken their pound of flesh), it's treated as any other vehicle. That does seem like a shitton of miles on a three year old bike, but then again, the price seems in line with the market in Van.

Here's a couple of other bikes, just in case he wants options.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1135899130.html

Thats good about American bikes.

That CBR250 looks neat, but he can't really spend any more than $3000. And that GS500es doesn't look well taken care of. We'll find something! Only got two weeks. After that, we're taking a road trip to Thunder Bay, then South through Minnesota, SW to Yellowstone then back up NW to home.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Z3n posted:

It's just a tail conversion and a nice angle. The rest of the bike is still vintage 250.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people do tail swaps and the angle of the top of the tail doesn't even come close to matching the angle of the tank.

I think there's more to it then just a tail conversion:

Check the shape of the side and front fairings. It' looks like they too have been replaced, as the orginal doesn't have the little creases that make it look like an insect supermodel.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

MrZig posted:

And that GS500es doesn't look well taken care of. We'll find something! Only got two weeks.

It's a 550ES. The 500 and 550 are very, very different bikes. The 550's have 63hp, versus the 500's 39. The 550 is a 4 valve 4 cylinder, and uses oil cooling on the heads. The 500 is a 2 valve 2 cylinder, and is entirely air cooled. The 550 has remote rear preload, and antidive forks. The 500... doesn't.

The 550ES is in good enough shape, it's not rotted out.. though I'd want shots of the frame near the swingarm pivot and exhaust before paying $1500. $1000 cdn would be very fair.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 23, 2009

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Nerobro posted:

It's a 550ES. The 500 and 550 are very, very different bikes. The 550ES is in good enough shape, it's not rotted out.. though I'd want shots of the frame near the swingarm pivot and exhaust before paying $1500. $1000 cdn would be very fair.

Er, that's what I meant. I just woke up, shh.

My bike isn't rotted out either, yet I've spent over $1000 in parts making it road worthy :haw:

Something from 2000+ would be nicer for reliability sake.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

MrZig posted:

Er, that's what I meant. I just woke up, shh.

That 550ES looks like it "might" need tires. And it will need intake o-rings. (that's the unpredictable idle he's talking about) otherwise, it's in better shape than my own.

And you need to admit, you got a very special (as in shortbus) bike.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Nerobro posted:

That 550ES looks like it "might" need tires. And it will need intake o-rings. (that's the unpredictable idle he's talking about) otherwise, it's in better shape than my own.

And you need to admit, you got a very special (as in shortbus) bike.

My bike is very spethal.

The 550ES might need tires, chain & sprockets, intake o-rings, carbs cleaned (he said an unpredictable idle), who knows what electrical problems it has, etc.

We have 1-2 weeks from buying his bike to leaving. That just won't work with anything 1980ish.

Who knows, it could work, and if there's nothing else available he might just get it, but otherwise he wants something newer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gr3y posted:

I think there's more to it then just a tail conversion:

Check the shape of the side and front fairings. It' looks like they too have been replaced, as the orginal doesn't have the little creases that make it look like an insect supermodel.

Let's take another look at that bike:

Click here for the full 1010x758 image.

Oh :(

:iiam:

Edit: Earlier revision of the CBR, not the dual headlight version. It makes sense now! :science: Front end is a transplant from something else.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 23, 2009

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Here's a stock CBR250:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/1136473708.html

$2500. Hmm.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
It'd be nice if you could actually see the thing. Wikipedia's only quoting 45hp as the max for that bike, which I'm somewhat more inclined to believe than 55. It looks like fun, though.

DiscoKid
May 25, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The hunt for my first bike continues.
Today found me on a 40 mile goose chase after work, finding a rusted out Kawasaki 750 in a barn that I couldn't back away from fast enough... "wanna take her for a spin?" Not with it leaking gas all over and belching smoke, nope, not so much.

But then, craigslist has a 83 550 nighthawk for a decent price, after playing phone and email tag this afternoon I get through to a middle aged lady who's concerned I can't make it when her husband is around, but will let me come on Saturday morning when he's working, and "oh and I'll just schedule those other guys to come later then" :D I'll take it, with the way even semi-decent old bikes in the 1000-1750 range have been snapped up by the time I call, now I get first dibs on what looks to be a real nice bargain.

edit: the more I look it up and check it out, the more and more I like it. If it's in good shape and they take cash... it's all mine. After reading up on it, the 83 550 seems to be a limited run bike with a sizable audience, and if this one's in as good a shape as I've been told, it's exactly the UJM I've been hoping for :)

DiscoKid fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 24, 2009

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

DiscoKid posted:

The hunt for my first bike continues.
Today found me on a 40 mile goose chase after work, finding a rusted out Kawasaki 750 in a barn that I couldn't back away from fast enough... "wanna take her for a spin?" Not with it leaking gas all over and belching smoke, nope, not so much.

But then, craigslist has a 83 550 nighthawk for a decent price, after playing phone and email tag this afternoon I get through to a middle aged lady who's concerned I can't make it when her husband is around, but will let me come on Saturday morning when he's working, and "oh and I'll just schedule those other guys to come later then" :D I'll take it, with the way even semi-decent old bikes in the 1000-1750 range have been snapped up by the time I call, now I get first dibs on what looks to be a real nice bargain.

edit: the more I look it up and check it out, the more and more I like it. If it's in good shape and they take cash... it's all mine. After reading up on it, the 83 550 seems to be a limited run bike with a sizable audience, and if this one's in as good a shape as I've been told, it's exactly the UJM I've been hoping for :)
Also you may want to check out your local dealerships and see what they've taken in on trade. On a whim I swung by a Harley dealership yesterday to see if they had any Buells. In the back they had a pretty nice 1996 Nighthawk 750. It's so much lighter then my bike... they were willing to do it for wholesale too, which isn't that bad.

But that 550 could be a very cool little bike. Should have decent power and be much more nimble then it's bigger brother.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
So what's the scoop on 80's bikes? I'm looking at KZ's, CB's and GS's right now, between 300-850cc for a first bike. Are they quality bikes? Is there a reason they are the cheapest ones in the local classifieds? Can I get one for <$2000?

Some local machines:

1984 CB650 SC
15kmi, GC, ready to ride,
$1395

1975 CB750
new tires, chain, & frt fork seals, looks nice, runs gd, 36kmi,
$1500

1982 GS300 NEW
8.9kmi, very clean, EC, road ready,
$1500

1982 KZ 750
new tires, tank sealed, 9kmi, runs gd & strong, dent on side of tank,
$1650

Simkin
May 18, 2007

TheFrailNinja posted:

1982 KZ 750
new tires, tank sealed, 9kmi, runs gd & strong, dent on side of tank,
$1650

I'm partial to this one, if only by virtue of the engine being used by Kawasaki for a very long time - as in I still have (essentially) the same motor in my 2002 Kawasaki.

Japanese bikes from the 80s are a very good place to start, as a good portion of them were pretty simple, had good parts availability/interchangeability, and are/were cheap.

Plus, you're much less likely to catch the ire of local LEOs on one, as they're practically invisible. :D

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Ugh why are the late model VFRs so expensive? 8k for one is hard to spend when the guy around the corner is selling his gixxer/cbr for almost half that.

Edit: nevermind, they are worth it:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/1123289774.html

http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/gchomicz/VFR/?action=view&current=IMG_1347.jpg

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 25, 2009

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You can get new leftovers for 8k all day long:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...SQ5fmotorcycles

M4gic
Aug 23, 2005

They say...hunger is the best spice!
So I went into a Yamaha dealership today cause I was in the area to try on a jacket. The salesmen comes up and is like did you need help looking at bikes. I tell him I'm okay, and that I'm a new rider and probably just going to get a ninja 250 starting out. Cut to 15 minutes later and he's trying to convince me that I'll be fine on a R6S. I just laughed a little inside and thought of CA warning about that.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

It's tough to say whether they do that out of concerned self interest, or ignorance. You could understand it a bit if they commission on a more expensive bike went directly to their pocket, but you'd hope that the dealerships were even just slightly concerned about keeping a new rider alive (and as a return customer). Instead, they try to get the big money up front, and then whatever extortionate fees that they can catch you with after your first lowside when the bike proves to be wwwwwwaaaaaaaaay too much for you. :sigh:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
How would a 2003 Ninja 250 fair on a longish (6000+km) road trip compared to my GS400? Would they be about par? The 250 has 10 less hp, but also weighs 100 pounds less.

Reason I ask is my friend is looking at said Ninja and we're about to set on a road trip this may. Should he be looking at something bigger?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Nah, he'll be fine, just stay off the trans canada (or interstates), and the smaller bikes won't be any sort of hindrance.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Simkin posted:

Nah, he'll be fine, just stay off the trans canada (or interstates), and the smaller bikes won't be any sort of hindrance.

That's what we were plannin on :) The bike in question has 9000KM, it's a rebuilt and they want $3300. I emailed them telling them outright that it's too expensive, and the owner said we'll talk about price if I take a look at it.

They said it was a writeoff because when it went down it destroyed all the plastics, yet they checked the frame out and everything. I'm not so sure on it, but it's worth a look.

http://classifieds.castanet.net/showproduct.php/product/438639

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Since completing the MSC in January I've spent a lot of time looking at and thinking about motorcycles. With this (terrible) semester of college winding down, I've been looking more and more attentively, and decided I want to buy my first bike once classes are over. Now, the "what to buy"...

I have almost no riding experience, just the MSC essentially. I commuted almost entirely by bicycle last semester, and have driven over 60,000 miles with only one ticket and no accidents. I consider myself a good (and very attentive) driver. On to bike stuff:

I spent a lot of time looking at a lot of bikes. After sitting on a few, and thinking about the riding experience, I decided that something a little more sport-bike like was what I wanted to go with for my first bike. My best friend rides on a 600cc almost super-sport, and when I rode it briefly the only thing I didn't enjoy about it was how twitchy and jumpy the throttle was.

I would just buy a sport bike with a smaller engine, but the issue is the drive from Flagstaff to Phoenix, which I make around once a month. Most of the speed limit on the I-17 is 75mph, and one can easily spend most of the drive traveling over 80mph, something I wouldn't particularly want to do with a 250cc sport bike.

So my friend suggested an SV650, and after researching it I'm pretty sure that's what I want. It's light and maneuverable enough for me to feel comfortable learning how to handle and corner on it. It's got an engine that I'll enjoy taking on the more open freeways that I drive, but the V-twin aspect of it means that it will be less likely to throw off a new, inexperienced rider.

Any serious concerns about the SV650 as a first bike? Any other options or suggestions based on the reasons I listed above? 6 have been posted on Craigslist in Phoenix in the past month, all with varying mileages and prices, but most of them seemed very reasonable.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
The SV is the uper end of the power spectrum that tends to be suggested, but there is a reason for why it's so very often suggested. They're cheap, powerful enough without ripping your arms out of their sockets, and rather friendly, or so I've heard.

I'd suggest you check out the SV650 thread and see what looks you prefer. The only thing I'd recommend from a learning point of view is to get the unfaired version. It's less painful on the wallet when you fall over (fairings are expensive), plus you tend to at least recognise the speed you're doing on an unfaired bike. And I personally prefer the look of it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
My advice is to always buy the cheapest reliable bike you can find that fits into what is considered a good beginner bike unless money really isn't an issue. I think ideally you spend <$1500 if you can. The reason being that not only may you drop the bike, you may go down on the bike at enough speed to at least cause a reasonably large amount of damage to the bike.

That being said, a naked SV with moto sliders is an amazingly sturdy bike to crash without taking too much damage. I know this because I dumped mine a couple of times at the track and pretty high speeds. I'd shoot for getting an SV that isn't perfect looks wise, but is fine mechanically. I would not buy the S model as it really is a bit of a pointless bike.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Or you can do what I did, and buy a pre-rashed SV650s :) Just some minor scuffs on the front fairing and the tail section right behind the seat, and I got what I think is a pretty good deal on it. Plus I love the half-fairing look, and it helps with the wind on the highway. It was and still is my first bike, and I put a bit over 6000 miles on it the first year.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Gstu posted:

Any other options or suggestions based on the reasons I listed above?

EX500 (Ninja), GS500, Kawasaki Versys all fit your needs nicely as well, and both the GS500 and 500 Ninja can usually be found for a good bit of coin less than the SV650.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Gstu posted:

Since completing the MSC in January I've spent a lot of time looking at and thinking about motorcycles. With this (terrible) semester of college winding down, I've been looking more and more attentively, and decided I want to buy my first bike once classes are over. Now, the "what to buy"...

I have almost no riding experience, just the MSC essentially. I commuted almost entirely by bicycle last semester, and have driven over 60,000 miles with only one ticket and no accidents. I consider myself a good (and very attentive) driver. On to bike stuff:

I spent a lot of time looking at a lot of bikes. After sitting on a few, and thinking about the riding experience, I decided that something a little more sport-bike like was what I wanted to go with for my first bike. My best friend rides on a 600cc almost super-sport, and when I rode it briefly the only thing I didn't enjoy about it was how twitchy and jumpy the throttle was.

I would just buy a sport bike with a smaller engine, but the issue is the drive from Flagstaff to Phoenix, which I make around once a month. Most of the speed limit on the I-17 is 75mph, and one can easily spend most of the drive traveling over 80mph, something I wouldn't particularly want to do with a 250cc sport bike.

So my friend suggested an SV650, and after researching it I'm pretty sure that's what I want. It's light and maneuverable enough for me to feel comfortable learning how to handle and corner on it. It's got an engine that I'll enjoy taking on the more open freeways that I drive, but the V-twin aspect of it means that it will be less likely to throw off a new, inexperienced rider.

Any serious concerns about the SV650 as a first bike? Any other options or suggestions based on the reasons I listed above? 6 have been posted on Craigslist in Phoenix in the past month, all with varying mileages and prices, but most of them seemed very reasonable.

Are you based out of Flagstaff or Phoenix? If you are in the valley I suggest checking out Bob's on 16th street. They usually have a few handfuls of bikes for sale at reasonable prices. I'm planing on pulling a Ninjette out of there this summer.

Some of their prices on salvaged goods are unreasonable (140 for a new insturment cluster? :didwegetridofthe"awhellnaw!"smilie:) But the staff is pretty helpful and they keep a fair amount of consumables in stock.

discostu
Feb 8, 2008
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/1141124905.html

Does this sound like a good deal? 2500 for a 2002 sv650.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

That'd be a good price around here, but $CAD != $USD It's been down already, so there's no fear of scratching it up, and the mileage seems to be pretty low. At least go take a look, and see if it's what you're interested in.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

discostu posted:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/1141124905.html

Does this sound like a good deal? 2500 for a 2002 sv650.

Seems about right, a little on the high side for a bike that's been down, but not horrible. Maybe you could politely bargin down a bit more with cash in hand, but even at 2500$ if everything is in good shape it's a fair deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003
I'm looking into buying my first bike. I have no experience at all, but plan on getting a permit/license within the next month. I came across this bike, and it looks like the best deal I've seen. 1993 Kawasaki EX500.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1139356357.html