Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I have yet another question about break-ins, but this time I'm on tier 2 of break in. Supposedly I'm not to go over 6k rpm before 1000 miles etc etc...

Well according to my manual it lists what speeds I should shift gears and by going that table I really never pass 4k rpm at any street level speed limits.

I'm trying to properly do my second break-in and wondering if I should: hit up 6k rpm every so often for like a second or two? ride at 6k rpm for like 5-10 seconds at a time before upshifting to a higher gear every so often? or just ride at 6k rpm for like a minute or two at a time before dipping down for a few seconds?

Almost forgot, I ride a Kawasaki Ninja500r 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
After 500 miles, I wouldn't flog it too hard or keep it pegged at redline for long periods of time, but I wouldn't hesitate using the entire power band as I saw fit. Those engines can take a beating. Just be sure to change your oil soonish.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
How important is it to buy OEM/Genuine main jets? Is it as important as buying OEM/Geuine pilot jets?

IE I'm going from a 110 to a 117.5, and I can either order aftermarket ones now or wait 5 days till they get Genuine Mikuni main jets.

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

MrZig posted:

How important is it to buy OEM/Genuine main jets? Is it as important as buying OEM/Geuine pilot jets?

IE I'm going from a 110 to a 117.5, and I can either order aftermarket ones now or wait 5 days till they get Genuine Mikuni main jets.

Wait for the genuine Mikunis. Small variations in the diameter can gently caress with the jetting and have you chasing your tail, and it's not like they are expensive. It's worth the 5 days.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

CoolBlue posted:

Wait for the genuine Mikunis. Small variations in the diameter can gently caress with the jetting and have you chasing your tail, and it's not like they are expensive. It's worth the 5 days.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. :)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
SEconding coolblue. 5 days? :-) I have 117.5's. to bad you're in canuckistan.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Nerobro posted:

SEconding coolblue. 5 days? :-) I have 117.5's. to bad you're in canuckistan.

If you have paypal I can pay for shipping. USPS First Class INTL would cost like $5.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

e-mail me. nerobro at gmail dot com I need your address.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

darknrgy posted:

What do I do with used coolant in CA?

If your Pep Boys won't take it, there's usually city-run toxic waste disposal centers available to the public. If you're around LA, there's a list of these centers in the yellow table on this page.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Nerobro posted:

e-mail me. nerobro at gmail dot com I need your address.

Email sent.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ijii posted:

I have yet another question about break-ins, but this time I'm on tier 2 of break in. Supposedly I'm not to go over 6k rpm before 1000 miles etc etc...

Well according to my manual it lists what speeds I should shift gears and by going that table I really never pass 4k rpm at any street level speed limits.

I'm trying to properly do my second break-in and wondering if I should: hit up 6k rpm every so often for like a second or two? ride at 6k rpm for like 5-10 seconds at a time before upshifting to a higher gear every so often? or just ride at 6k rpm for like a minute or two at a time before dipping down for a few seconds?

Almost forgot, I ride a Kawasaki Ninja500r 2009.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh my, four cylinders or worms fully open. That was very interesting, Kool-Aid swallowed. If I rebuild the GSX or buy brand new, I'm following this.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

He also does the "GET RICH QUICK NOW BY SITTING AT HOME ON YOUR rear end" website designs, doesn't he?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This guy could make a much better point if his site didnt look like it was designed by a 12 year old in 1994

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Can someone tell me what the -C+ and -R+ represent in this picture?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Except "There's a very small window of opportunity to get the rings to seal really well ... the first 20 miles !!" means that this is completely useless to someone who already has over 500 miles on their bike.

dongsweep posted:

Compression and rebound damping, I believe.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uthor posted:

Compression and rebound damping, I believe.

Correct, although having one shock do each duty rubs me the wrong way. Unless there is a super beefy brace between the shocks, it just seems like a recipe for flex.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

Correct, although having one shock do each duty rubs me the wrong way. Unless there is a super beefy brace between the shocks, it just seems like a recipe for flex.

A super beefy brace...like the triples? :haw:

A couple of other makers are already switching over to a similar setup. I don't know if it's going to be the way of the future or not, but we'll see...I desperately want to get on a bike with a BPF setup though.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

dongsweep posted:

drat, what bike is that on? Those gauges are :swoon:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Simkin posted:

They're MotoGuzzi gauges, but I'd be hard pressed to say which one. The California has the same gauges (with a black center console), but is the varient with bars. I don't know which is their equivalent with clipons.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

Simkin posted:

2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

So tempted to get one as my second bike.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Man, that bike is pretty much pure sex. What's the upkeep like on newer Guzzis?

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Yeah, if anyone has any knowledge or reasons why I should steer clear of a V11 Sport I'd love your input.

e; also a V7 Classic, too

dongsweep fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 22, 2009

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

A lot of bikes only have one compression or rebound adjuster per fork. The triple setup is stiff enough that they act as one unit. Some people will even run different fork oil weights in each to average them out, I guess to avoid changing the oil in both tubes.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

The triple stiffness isn't what matters. It's axle stiffness.

Also the range of adjustment is small enough that the actual damping difference from one leg to the other isn't huge.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
I'm in the process of ordering a new Triumph Scrambler, and the salesperson is offering an extended warranty for $700. It's an additional 2 years, plus 3 years of road hazard coverage for tires and wheels. 3rd party, not official Triumph warranty. The Triumph already comes with a two year warranty.

Good idea? Or waste of money? Is there likely to be a $700 problem with the bike, that's covered under warranty, during that time frame? I have no prior experience with this.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Watommi posted:

I'm in the process of ordering a new Triumph Scrambler, and the salesperson is offering an extended warranty for $700. It's an additional 2 years, plus 3 years of road hazard coverage for tires and wheels. 3rd party, not official Triumph warranty. The Triumph already comes with a two year warranty.

Good idea? Or waste of money? Is there likely to be a $700 problem with the bike, that's covered under warranty, during that time frame? I have no prior experience with this.

I wouldn't, personally. Not only do 3rd party warranties tend to be a pain in the rear end to collect from, on a modern bike I can't see anything going wrong 3 years down the line that'd be covered that wouldn't have broken by year 2 if you were riding the bike regularly.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Plus, in general, it makes more financial sense to take the $700 and bank it in case something goes wrong than it is to pay it and never use it.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

dongsweep posted:

Yeah, if anyone has any knowledge or reasons why I should steer clear of a V11 Sport I'd love your input.

e; also a V7 Classic, too

I don't think the V7 Classic has made it to the US yet, if that matters to you.

The V11's have a reputation for being poorly made and having reliability problems. Guzzi was having problems staying in business at the time, and I think they were not paying employees on time, or something like that. I knew a mechanic who worked at a Guzzi/Ducati shop when the V11s were new, and he said that they had a lot of them come back with bottom end problems. I think a few people on the forums have V11s, and are really happy with them, so maybe all of the issues have been worked out.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

wzm posted:

I don't think the V7 Classic has made it to the US yet, if that matters to you.

The V11's have a reputation for being poorly made and having reliability problems. Guzzi was having problems staying in business at the time, and I think they were not paying employees on time, or something like that. I knew a mechanic who worked at a Guzzi/Ducati shop when the V11s were new, and he said that they had a lot of them come back with bottom end problems. I think a few people on the forums have V11s, and are really happy with them, so maybe all of the issues have been worked out.

Oh they are in America and they are beautiful. It is hard to find them though, most are sold out until 'Thanksgiving' but some dealerships are receiving regular shipments and some still have them.

e;In fact a beautiful one just sold on eBay for $7000 and less than 1000 miles on it. I would have jumped on it but I have no way of getting it with school/work and I don't want it shipped without seeing it first.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to read up further on the V11's. I'd imagine parts for a roughly 5 year old Guzzi is a little pricey, too.

dongsweep fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 22, 2009

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Are there any websites that help you plan a trip? I want to ride over to Laguna Seca for the Moto GP race from New Jersy but planning a 3000 mile trip is daunting to me. Also how many miles is reasonable to cover in a day?

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

KidDynamite posted:

Also how many miles is reasonable to cover in a day?

That is HIGHLY dependent on what you're riding.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

CoolBlue posted:

And who you are. Some people can lay down 500 mile days for weeks, some people are dying after one 250 mile day. I find interstate much more boring and draining than the scenic routes....500 miles in a day of twisties is fun, 200 miles of I5 up the central cost makes me wish I was dead.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

KidDynamite posted:

Are there any websites that help you plan a trip? I want to ride over to Laguna Seca for the Moto GP race from New Jersy but planning a 3000 mile trip is daunting to me. Also how many miles is reasonable to cover in a day?

I have found the MapPoint Microsoft software is really handy for trip planning. You can enter your average cruising speed schedule time for lunches and dinners and choose time points (like sunset) for stopping. It also has some good tolerances for what roads to take and when. For example you can tell it you strongly dislike freeways, dislike toll roads, like state highways and strong like service roads. You can plot roads by most direct, least miles, fastest, etc.

String together a bunch of national parks and buy a parks pass and you're sure to encounter very good roads all the way.

In the summer avoid the south. If you plan to pass through Denver drop me a line, I've got some extra couch space if you need it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KidDynamite posted:

do a test day on some similar local roads to find out. i did before my first long trip.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

KidDynamite posted:

CoolBlue posted:

Z3n posted:

And who you are.

More

Fake Edit:
It all really depends on your rear end.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 23, 2009

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Thank's for the MapPoint suggestion PlasticSun definitely going to check it out. I'm going to be making the trip on a ninja 500 and I've done 200 miles without a complaint on boring Jersey highways. This is going to be a good project for me to undertake. The whole planning thing I mean. The riding is the easy part. I think.

Edit: What are some must rides along the way? I figure I can hit some on the way there and plan another route on the way back.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 23, 2009

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

KidDynamite posted:

Thank's for the MapPoint suggestion PlasticSun definitely going to check it out. I'm going to be making the trip on a ninja 500 and I've done 200 miles without a complaint on boring Jersey highways. This is going to be a good project for me to undertake. The whole planning thing I mean. The riding is the easy part. I think.

Edit: What are some must rides along the way? I figure I can hit some on the way there and plan another route on the way back.

For your edit I wish I could find a 'national' route of best roads but so far the best I have done is an individual state search and try to incorporate them on the route or in place of a route.

I wish google maps had a suggestion 'best motorcycle route' like they do for avoid interstates, avoid toll roads, etc.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

dongsweep posted:

For your edit I wish I could find a 'national' route of best roads but so far the best I have done is an individual state search and try to incorporate them on the route or in place of a route.

I wish google maps had a suggestion 'best motorcycle route' like they do for avoid interstates, avoid toll roads, etc.

If you just click avoid highways you'll be 90% ahead of the crowd.

FakeEDIT: And you load your mp3 player full of journey.

RealEdit: Way out of the way, but US191 Springerville - Clifton. You won't regret it.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Anyone know a decent place to get handlebars on the internet? Seems the minor fall I had on sunday onto some grass is enough to bend the bars such that they failed the MOT.

And wemoto doesn't seem to sell handlebars. Doesn't help that my bike doesn't show up there precisely, it's a grey import.