Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Crackle posted:

Oddly enough, I rarely get votekicked, and people like playing with me enough that they add me to their friends list. There's probably some kind of life lesson in all of this.

Left4dead is one of those games, like Dwarf Fortress, where losing is more fun than winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Zenodice posted:

Space Station 13!

Oh man, Space Station 13. I admin on the goon servers - and with the huge amount of admin toys available, griefing becomes child's play.

One of the game modes for SS13 is called Blob. Basically, a large green organism spawns somewhere on the station. In the presence of oxygen, it grows rapidly - getting rid of the O2 in the atmosphere will slow its growth, and fires/welders/stun batons/taser guns/various other things will kill it. If the crew can't defeat the blob before it reaches a certain mass, the station self-destructs and you lose.

Now, every object in the game has a variable called 'anchored'. This variable's set to 1 for walls, floors, and the like - that is, they're attached in place and cannot be pulled or moved.

While the station is fighting the blob, I'll find some isolated piece of it, change its anchored variable to 0, and go running around the station with it in tow, spreading it everywhere and making it nigh-on impossible to win the round. The reactions you get range from confused anger to nothing at all, but even if one lone assistant is shouting for Security to come and arrest you, it's worth it...

...mostly because everybody hates assistants. A little clarification on that: assistants are station crew who wear gray jumpsuits and have very little access. If you join a game and end up an assistant, that means that no other jobs were available - you're a station water boy, in effect. Assistants are known to be trouble and are occasionally killed just for wandering past some crewmember.

One of my top job choices when playing is the Head of Personnel. This crewmember has the ability to use the I.D computer to change people's jobs. Most Heads of Personnel assign themselves the Captain job so that they have full access, but keep the job name on the card Head of Personnel so as to avoid suspicion.

One round, I was busy giving some assistant a job. While I was in the middle of this, the Head of Security arrived, popped the assistant's card out of the computer, put his in, and attempted to promote himself to captain, too.

This was pretty annoying - multiple people can use a computer at the same time in SS13, but it basically turns into a war as two people try to do two different things at the same time.

I pushed the Head of Security away from the computer, and (luckily!) was fast enough to get at his I.D before he moved back over again and gave him the job of "clown". I then promoted the assistant who had been waiting to be assigned to Head of Security as the old HoS sputtered in impotent rage. We proceeded to test a flashbang grenade on him, then left. He shouted angrily over the radio for several minutes, so I eventually came back and went back onto the bridge to see what was up with him (his I.D card didn't have high enough permissions to get out of the bridge, effectively trapping him inside). He attacked me so I had no choice but to kill him, which was unfortunate as I was hoping that he'd be shouting furiously for the entire round.

I've got a few more stories, too (AI's Day Out and Box O' Criminals to name a few) but I'm feeling :effort: right now and don't want to type them up. I'll get to it soon (if you guys like these, that is!)

Edit: Oh yeah, did I mention that the most-played mode on the server is Traitor, where one lucky player is tasked with griefing? Goals range from 'escape alone on the shuttle' to 'destroy 70% of the plasma canisters on the station and escape' to 'cut power to 80% of the station and escape' (see the pattern there?)

Cabbage Disrespect fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 25, 2009

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I'm a couple of admin ranks below Showtime on the SS13 goon servers, but that still leaves hundreds of griefing opportunities every round. Some of the pub players are really uptight about the roleplaying in the game, and react in an hilariously exaggerated manner when you mess around with them... and so came about my griefing alter-ego, G0KU. My major gimmick is running around telling people "im goku", which really sets some players off.

I spent several rounds doing some pretty minor wind-ups; things like starting the round by screaming "METEORS!", which leads to everyone halfway evacuating the station before realising there aren't any meteors, and getting arrested for "being crazy" and shouting that the arresting officer has attacked me with a revolver.

I have a particular distaste for the Genetics department - specifically when certain players spend literally the entire round every round doing nothing but trying to give themselves super powers. So I decide to intervene a little by making research a complete nightmare. I'd jump in and push him over while he was trying to use the research console, turn the radiation settings up to 20 seconds (so even the smallest change takes ages to apply and turns the subject into Chernobyl 2) and generally just purge his work every time he accomplishes anything.

He inevitably calls security, who tase me and drag me out into the genetics lobby... where the departmental power controls are. I prise open the panel and take out the battery (disposing of it in a locker), completely disabling the department. The researcher runs off to get security to detain me and an engineer to replace the battery. They arrive in time to find out that I've walled the genetics console off completely.

I am put in the brig for this, which I promptly escape due to incompetent guards. I return to genetics and continue my harassment, which quickly lands me back in the brig. As soon as my detaining guard had left the cell area, another one passed by. I asked him if my time was up yet, explaining that I'd been in there for ten minutes (a long time in game terms, and actually borderline illegal on the server). He bought my story and let me out. Instead of leaving, I jumped into another cell in anticipation of my detaining guard checking up on me. He was completely bewildered by how I'd ended up in a different cell. I was restrained and cuffed again.

At this time, Roland T. Dapperman (one admin rank ahead of me :argh:) logged on and decided to provide a little admin assistance by unhandcuffing me and disabling a wall, allowing me to return to genetics (ultimately more fun than just abusing my admin powers to teleport there). The genetics researcher snapped and tried to club me to death with a toolbox - which, unfortunately for him, he was not very good at, because I rapidly disarmed and knocked him out. Security showed up again, and I was sentenced to lethal injection.

One smoke bomb and an admin-edited wall later, I was running around again. Through a random event, the genetics researcher and I ended up trapped in the atmospherics department together. After trying and failing to kill me with three different weapons, he gave up and cleverly walked into a cloud of superheated gas that melted his lungs and killed him instantly.

In this time, genetics had been firebombed several times by G0KU sympathisers (but was still relatively functional), and the security crew had sent out a Kill On Sight order for poor G0KU and his supporters. We commandeered genetics and started a base of operations there, and reprogrammed the station AI to be G0KU.

This basically led to the security, captain and head-of-departments team to declare war on us, and the bombs started going off. Most of the station crew died in the bombings, and from the 30-odd at the start, only four or five remained - notably myself, MelonDude (a primary admin like Roland, and also using the name GOKU) and the security guard that I'd successfully escaped four or five times over the course of the round.

So there we are, the station's falling down around us and the emergency shuttle is a couple of minutes off. We get into space suits and quickly encounter the guard in the wreckage of the station. This leads to the climactic final battle - a loving jetpack-fueled fistfight in space. MelonDude lands a good blow on the guard, stunning him, then grabs him around the neck and strangles him to death, just in time for us to hop on the shuttle and end the round.

All this took about an hour and a half.

...and that's my SS13-related wall of text for this thread. :colbert:

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
That sounds incredible.

Kelson
Jan 23, 2005

Showtime 104 posted:

Oh man, Space Station 13. I admin on the goon servers - and with the huge amount of admin toys available, griefing becomes child's play.

As past dev; I concur - that water business is new and cool!

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Constantine XI posted:

That sounds incredible.

Trust me, it is. Vinny and I have gotten up to some pretty interesting stuff on the server - filling oxygen tanks with 28,000 degree (Fahrenheit) gas so that it instantly kills you, running races around the station pretending to be cars (including fiery crashes!), walling up rooms, setting them on fire, and teleporting people in - all sorts of stuff. He's a lot better at telling the stories of it than I am, though, so I'll let him do that! Just as a note, we allow griefing on the server as long as it's creative and/or funny, so if you've got a good idea feel free to try! We're generally much more lenient when it comes to goons doing stuff, as opposed to the game's constant pubbie population.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Constantine XI posted:

That sounds incredible.

Sounds like until you actually look at a screenshot of the game :( So much potential if someone would upgrade it.

HORSE RAPER
Mar 21, 2004

by WorstAyatollahEver

mcvey posted:

Sounds like until you actually look at a screenshot of the game :( So much potential if someone would upgrade it.

The graphics really aren't that important at all in my opinion (although I'd love to see the interface given an overhaul). Even before all these new changes to the game, it was fun as hell being a paranoid Captain who placed his faith in God and made the Chaplain the Supreme Inquisitor of the station.

It was also fun playing as Chaplain, persuading the Captain to implement a security-enforced mandatory mass, and then rambling for five minutes straight about the sanctity of marriage and corrupt social mores before finally saying, "oh, look! It's the rapture!" and detonating a bomb, obliterating the chapel and everyone in it.

Basically SS13 is awesome if you enjoy an open-ended, heavily griefing-centric romp and you aren't deterred by simple graphics.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Probably the best grief on SS13 I was involved in wasn't on the goon servers, but on some uptight fuckwit's server who demanded everyone do as he says or he'd throw a tantrum and ban everyone. I don't know if I posted this before in the thread or not, it's much too large to search now.

Anyway, these uptight super hardcore/serious admins had spent the majority of a round building an arena out in space or something, and had announced their intentions that we were all going to be teleported there and fight in some sort of large free for all battle. A few players said they'd prefer to just play the game as they are, to which they were replied with "It's our server and you'll do what we loving tell you to".

So when the admins were away for a bit, someone started a "Restart the server" vote. This puts the server back to the beginning, which wipes out anything that's been built or altered on the station. A moderator that was online kept delaying the vote's resolution, somehow not realising he could just outright cancel the vote. The vote eventually succeeds, the server gets restarted and about two to three hours of their work gets completley and irrevocably wiped out.

The result? Locking us all in the starting area, killing us all, disabling the chat and then going on a massive tirade about how they'll find who voted to restart and ban them, that we have no rights on their server, we've ruined everything, blah blah blah. Ordinarily this wouldn't really be much of a grief, but the admin's inept fury was just too good to pass up on. People who take games too seriously really are the best targets for this kind of thing.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

HORSE RAPER posted:

Basically SS13 is awesome if you enjoy an open-ended, heavily griefing-centric romp and you aren't deterred by simple graphics.
This is pretty much a perfect explanation.

The atrocious graphics and the first few days of learning how to put your shoes on instead of clubbing yourself with them are usually quickly made up when you get to participate in a round where one guy kidnaps half the crew, ties them up, straps bombs to them and makes them answer trivia questions in exchange for their lives.

Hell, the other day we had one guy take out an entire crew of 25 by pistol-whipping each and every one of them to death.

Kelson
Jan 23, 2005

HORSE RAPER posted:

The graphics really aren't that important at all in my opinion (although I'd love to see the interface given an overhaul). Even before all these new changes to the game, it was fun as hell being a paranoid Captain who placed his faith in God and made the Chaplain the Supreme Inquisitor of the station.

I wrote up a 'simple' new engine for it, but gave up on that process about 20% into it all - creating all new models in addition to coding new networking and other backend poo poo eventually burned out that effort. If anyone's (actually) interested in extending it let me know...

I think the graphics should be secondary; the game-play mechanics are awesome and provides tons of flexibility/freedom. The world is also sufficiently harsh that most of that translates to quick griefing as well, often to hilarious result.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

HORSE RAPER posted:

It was also fun playing as Chaplain, persuading the Captain to implement a security-enforced mandatory mass, and then rambling for five minutes straight about the sanctity of marriage and corrupt social mores before finally saying, "oh, look! It's the rapture!" and detonating a bomb, obliterating the chapel and everyone in it.
:laffo:
Only griefing I've done lately is convincing my brother to buy The Path, telling him it was the best game I've played in months.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Being an intentionally lovely player would only annoy people who post in the Left 4 Dead thread. If you want to annoy regular people just find ways to be suddenly dead. When they get to the next lull and ask what happened just claim your W key stuck and sent you flying off a roof.

Dead Air is great for this because you can sneak out a window and no one will see you die.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, the people probably befriended you because you acted like a inept-but-nice newbie. I know I'd add people who were fun to play with even if they sucked terribly

MelonDude
Oct 7, 2004

help I am knocked out by that faggot traitor his name is GEORGE MELONS
Space Station 13: The Story of George Melons

It's pretty rare I get good at a game mostly because my attention span just doesn't allow for it. Still, I'll tell you how I got started.

---

First job, first time logging in. I chose to be a nurse. So, I helped strip down injured patients before they were thrown into the cryo machine for magic healing. Pretty simple, but when the doctor died and you're asked to operate cryo it usually means killing everyone that even has a papercut just because you don't know any better. I was putting anyone that came into medical into the cryo machine and then wondering why they were dying. People were obviously very upset about this.

Lesson learned: Do not chill people to absolute zero to treat a black eye.

---

My first time as traitor I was an engineer. I was learning how to start the engine and I, in a very obvious manner (that I didn't realize at the time), asked the other engineer how I could make a flashbang. He told me that I couldn't, but I could find some at security. I knew where security was, so I asked him where security was. While he was typing I bonked him on the head with a toolbox, threw him into the engine, then turned it on. I was promptly mobbed by security as the AI saw all this, but hey I learned from it.

Lesson learned: The AI is always the enemy.

---

Some time passed, I played a whole lot more. Got better, mostly was a good guy. I was made an admin. The servers went public. I tried for a while to calmly solve problems only to be called a human being by the unwashed masses. gently caress them. I started making every problem I encountered go away. I got drat good at it, only resorting to banning in the most extreme cases. Killing them myself was so much more satisfying.

---

Here's an example of a traitor round I had a few weeks back. One of my better ones for overall variety and damage.

I started the round, instantly went to grab some tools and some thermals (See people through walls). I managed to snag both pairs, score! I grabbed a full access id card along the way to EVA. Stole all of eva. All the space suits and jet packs were now in space, minus the suit and pack I was wearing. I flew over to the AI, drilled my way in, killed it before it could even scream help.

Time? About three minutes into the round. The ai wasn't responding to orders and not opening doors. Some idiots in engineering caught themselves on fire and couldn't escape. They screamed for the ai to open the airlocks. They died. The captain and everyone else thought the AI was the traitor due to this. I laughed.

All of security was stolen, along with most of the total weaponry on the station. I was with the head of personnel and the captain outside the bridge. The captain walked onto the bridge, I followed. I triggered the blast doors to close, locking me in the bridge with just the captain. They thought it was the ai again. Bam, stun baton to the head. Captain's down, and soon dies. I bust out of the bridge into space and throw the captain's corpse into space while I'm at it.

I start some fires, bomb genetics so they can't revive people, gently caress with the atmos system to superheat the entire station so everyone boils. Because there are no space suits or jetpacks around, nobody can get off station. Some survive with fire suits on, but by the time the shuttle arrives for some reason or another they died. Fun stuff.

---

Using the ROBUST COMBAT SYSTEM is pretty fun. Just a few minutes ago I fought a fully armed and armored pubbie. I was naked, only armed with my balls hanging out. I won.

---

Other stories: Pretending to be other people, Dexter mode, Dealing with Pubbies, Clown Melons, The Great Wall of Melons, Killing people in the most indirect ways possible.

I dunno, if people want to hear this poo poo I'll type it up. I am the robustest player this side of the autolathe.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

MelonDude posted:

Other stories: Pretending to be other people, Dexter mode, Dealing with Pubbies, Clown Melons, The Great Wall of Melons, Killing people in the most indirect ways possible.

I dunno, if people want to hear this poo poo I'll type it up. I am the robustest player this side of the autolathe.

All of them.

Also, why doesn't someone post a screenshot of the game so those of us who haven't played know what you mean by 'simple' graphics.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Enallyniv posted:

Security showed up again, and I was sentenced to lethal injection.

One smoke bomb and an admin-edited wall later, I was running around again.

I was the doctor there. Those were just one syringe of sleep toxins. And that was a mustard gas bomb that killed me in about three seconds, leaving my corpse stuck in the admin-wall. I'm always on the wrong side of admin-fun in that game.

Malfunction AI is the most fun I've had with that game, though. Electrify every door, try to get toxins and engineering to blow themselves up, and gas everyone that hides in Medbay. The cries of the assistants stuck between electrified airlocks is so sweet.

To contribute to the thread, when you're playing CoD4(360) in a party, change your clan tag to [M16]. We had three different clan groups ragequit on us before even getting a game started.

edit: SS13 is also ripe for accidental griefing. Apparently there was/is a rare bug with the magic cryo system Melons mentioned that causes the occupant's body temperature to zoom down to some massively negative number. The cold spreads out from the chamber, too. So I'm healing a guy, when suddenly half the station freezes to death over the span of a minute. Oops.

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 26, 2009

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Emalde posted:

All of them.

Also, why doesn't someone post a screenshot of the game so those of us who haven't played know what you mean by 'simple' graphics.

Its a combination of simple graphics, a very VERY clunky interface, and a HORRENDOUS learning curve

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Lockback posted:

Its a combination of simple graphics, a very VERY clunky interface, and a HORRENDOUS learning curve

I was Head of Personnel, Melons was a mutated superhuman crew member and I made him space pimp. The guy who was the dead monkey killed melons so I arrested him, built a furnace, lit it on fire and left a note letting him know how I felt about his infraction.

Explosives testing in SS13 is an endless grief fest.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 26, 2009

MelonDude
Oct 7, 2004

Here's an image of the time I decided that the regular escape shuttle was boring.

A MAN SHOULD HAVE A CHOICE OF WHAT SHUTTLE TO ESCAPE IN!

Here's a standard image.

There's LoS and such. Not much animation overall, but hey. I enjoy it just fine. I've got a pretty drat good computer but I just play this thing all day.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Loving the stories but I just can never get into the game :(

JEWS ILLUMINATI
Aug 30, 2008
In Left 4 Dead sometimes if a teammate gets smoker pulled, I'll walk up to where he's at and just kind of watch the smoker kill him. It's pretty blatant, but it does a fine job of pissing off players.

In the MMORPG Asheron's Call, in recent years there was an oversight with the game server that allowed you to perform actions on a player anywhere in the world which would trigger a moveto action giving away the players exact position in the packet received. I wrote a "locator" hack with this, and my clan and I would follow people around killing them repeatedly on the PvP server. In that game it's pretty easy to get away, as you can use teleport spells which cast pretty quickly to get around. Most people would bitch us out or simply log off. I'm pretty sure we made a few people quit the game because of it.

Scrabbles
Apr 14, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

I was Head of Personnel, Melons was a mutated superhuman crew member and I made him space pimp. The guy who was the dead monkey killed melons so I arrested him, built a furnace, lit it on fire and left a note letting him know how I felt about his infraction.

Explosives testing in SS13 is an endless grief fest.

That was me who set off the bomb by the way, but I was only doing it because of the spider infestation. THE SPIDERS ARE loving EVERYWHERE DEPLOY ANTI SPIDER BOMB.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

FebrezeNinja posted:

To contribute to the thread, when you're playing CoD4(360) in a party, change your clan tag to [M16]. We had three different clan groups ragequit on us before even getting a game started.

What's the story behind this?

Oh wait, I see. Yahoo Answers tells all. Now that's loving funny.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
SS13 is a great game

This round, I started as toxins. Amongst usual game drama where people were warring against the AI, I made an N20 thrower, which is basically the best weapon in the game. An N20 thrower is like a flamethrower, except without the fire and with delicious N20 instead

Later in the game, I was in the brig and saw the detective arrest a security guard for something or another. So I blasted him with N20, knocking him down, and freed all the prisoners. One prisoner took away the detective and tore his eyes out with a screwdriver, and then later me and the other prisoner gave the detective back eyes by the power of :science:

After that, I had a firefight in the bridge with the captain, which he was winning until I N20ed him, leaving him open for a random guy to throw the captain into space, after taking his ID off him of course. Then the round ended with a mad dash along a quickly constructed space bridge into the escape shuttle, to get past the walls the psychotic clown had put up

I love this game

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

FebrezeNinja posted:

I've been told online that using a P90, Barret, Skorpion, M14, M60, RPD, red dot sight, frag grenades, stun grenades, grenade launcher, Juggernaut, Matyrdom, Last Stand, Sonic Boom and Deep Impact all make me a noob, but never the M16. Does it have more of an infamous reputation on Live?

Personally, my favorite kit is using Overkill with 2 full-auto assault rifles to get twice as many "noob tube" rounds (plus matyrdom), the two most hated perks in Cod4. I've lost count of the amount of death threats I've received online for using a perfectly legal part of the game.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

El Negocio posted:

I've been told online that using a P90, Barret, Skorpion, M14, M60, RPD, red dot sight, frag grenades, stun grenades, grenade launcher, Juggernaut, Matyrdom, Last Stand, Sonic Boom and Deep Impact all make me a noob, but never the M16. Does it have more of an infamous reputation on Live?

While the M16 is the overall best weapon, almost nobody calls it cheap because they use it too. If you use something else though, it's cheap if it aggravates them. Everything I bolded are actually pretty weak selections in a regular game, but some people get really angry about dying I guess :shobon:.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it's pretty much the same phenomena that happens with scrubs in fighting games. If someones ego gets hurt when they get beat and they can't deal with it, they shift the blame from themselves making a mistake to you using cheap moves/weapons/tactics. It's a defense mechanism that allows them to not have to admit they did something wrong.

EDIT 2: \/\/\/

Nah, the Skorpion is always the most accurate SMG no matter what you put on it; and that's not really a cheat, it has other drawbacks that balance it. It's only a powerful weapon in 30 health games.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 27, 2009

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

The only actual cheat I know of is using a silenced scorpion which makes it almost as accurate as a sniper rifle. As far as I know this is PC version only though.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Promoted Pawn posted:

While the M16 is the overall best weapon, almost nobody calls it cheap because they use it too.

Plus it's your starting assault rifle. It's available to everyone without any grinding whatsoever. Personally, I prefer a silenced G3.

MelonDude
Oct 7, 2004

Okay, here's some more Space Station 13 stories.

I'll start with Dexter mode. I was labeled traitor, so I went about collecting tools. When I was there I saw some idiot torching his way through the wall into storage. So, I decide: "Hey, I'm the traitor. This guy's a jackass. I'm going to kill him." He spots me approaching, tries to run. I knock him out with an oxygen tank and toss his body into space. I continue along, eventually finding someone wearing armor and a taser. This man was not a security officer, he was a doctor! Well then, I killed him and stole his poo poo. Into space his body goes, still alive. When you're tossed in space without oxygen it still takes a minute or two to completely die. I see some security guy beating some guy to death for making a suicide bomb. Well, police brutality is fine but when you're killing the guy? That just won't do. So, I kill the security guy. Then I kill the guy who had the suicide bomb. I think I lit them on fire, too.

By the end of the round, I had killed 3/4 of the crew. Every single person I killed had committed some kind of crime. Every person I killed was neatly cleaned up after with the cleaning bottle, making sure all that icky blood was gone! The remaining crew had no idea I was behind pretty much every disappearance on the station until the round ended. Good times.

Pretending to be other people

It's an incredible tactic, though I never really use it anymore. I should. Basically, everyone has an ID. You can wear this id, and if you have a mask that covers your face on (like a gas mask or a space helmet), it makes it so the other people can't see your real name but rather see you labeled as whatever your ID says. These days you can also get a voice changer mask that looks like a regular gas mask, so when you type something it doesn't show up as: George Melons (As Pubbie McDumbass) Says, "Oh gently caress I just blew my cover by speaking."

Anyway, back when I did this you couldn't change your voice so you just had to stay silent. It still worked most of the time since often people just won't say things. So, I see the captain. He's a jackass. I hate him. I want him to die, but I don't want to be the one to do it. Indirect kills are the best. I'm pretty sure the Captain was my actual traitor target, but either way he had to die. So, I calmly upgrade my own id without anyone noticing. I sneak into the captain's private locker, steal his spare captain's jumpsuit and captain' helmet, make a fake id with the captain's name on it, then calmly walk to the other side of the station.

Storing my old clothes and id into my backpack, I calmly stride out dressed in the perfect disguise as the captain. I walk through security, find the HoP (Head of Personnel) on the bridge. It's Roland T. Dapperman. Smart fellow, knows me and my tricks. He also saw the captain was a jackass. I run in, bonk him on the head a few times with a stun baton. I run off. I spot the captain in security, who goes "WTF" at seeing me. I change into my old clothes, Roland is hot on my heels and spots the captain who is obviously the same captain who just attacked him. I help arrest that fucker! He pleads innocence, we fry him in an electric chair.

Pretending to be other people helps a lot. A favourite of mine is to break into the security checkpoint near the starting shuttle, stealing a red jumpsuit. People rarely check your id, and you're bound to find armor and a helmet sometime. So, you're wearing a red security outfit and a security helmet and security armor. You have a security baton. Obviously, you are a man to be trusted!

Dressing up as existing people is always fun since you can get them in all sorts of poo poo.

Oh, that reminds me of a related story:

The Body Snatchers

We all started out as assistants. A few of the other admins and I. We decided that we would slowly but surely take over the station by swapping identities with others using the genetics machine. Step one: kill the geneticist. Step two: scan his DNA, switch his DNA with one of ours. Bam, now one of us is him and he has our old already tainted identity. This continued until eventually we were the captain, head of personnel, and head of research. I'm pretty sure we had some other jobs too, but by then we had the station mostly dead.

Switching your DNA for someone else's is an incredible tactic if your current identity has too much heat on it.

The Great Wall of Melons

Fun, short story. I used admin powers to divide the entire station in two with an invincible wall. One side of the station was all cheery and happy with everyone working together. The other side had the traitor, a shitload of dead bodies, and a whole lot of blood everywhere. The only way across was the teleporter, which eventually got turned on. The traitor comes across, and all hell breaks loose. I just sat and watched. Fun!

Other stories to come: Dealing with Pubbies, Clown Melons, Santa Melons, Killing people in the most indirect ways possible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MelonDude posted:

Storing my old clothes and id into my backpack, I calmly stride out dressed in the perfect disguise as the captain. I walk through security, find the HoP (Head of Personnel) on the bridge. It's Roland T. Dapperman. Smart fellow, knows me and my tricks. He also saw the captain was a jackass. I run in, bonk him on the head a few times with a stun baton. I run off. I spot the captain in security, who goes "WTF" at seeing me. I change into my old clothes, Roland is hot on my heels and spots the captain who is obviously the same captain who just attacked him. I help arrest that fucker! He pleads innocence, we fry him in an electric chair.

You monster. (I cant breathe and my voice is all hoarse from laughing like a fool)

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Damned crafty Melons! It didn't help that you being silent only added to the "stupid pubbie captain" disguise. No matter. The captain deserved it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MelonDude posted:

Okay, here's some more Space Station 13 stories.

I laughed so hard I got a headache, great stories. I love that you can take identity theft to the level of switching DNA profiles, that's amazingly devious.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

MelonDude posted:

Other stories to come: Dealing with Pubbies, Clown Melons, Santa Melons, Killing people in the most indirect ways possible.

You need to tell about the horde of Melons

That was the first round I learned that I should always keep an eye on George Melons

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
SS13 griefing is the most hilarious griefing. I have some stories of host griefing that I could share, but they're not nearly as entertaining as Melons' escapades.

Also looking forward to Clown Melons.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I wish people would post some of their SS13 exploits to youtube :(

I am always confused as hell when I try to play.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

blackguy32 posted:

SS13 isn't really that fun to look at, a lot of the gameplay is in the sidebar with the text and information.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

TwingeCrag posted:

SS13 isn't really that fun to look at, a lot of the gameplay is in the sidebar with the text and information.

it sure beats having nothing.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Nannek and a few others made sort of a mini-LP, which you might like: http://www.dailymotion.com/Nannek/video/x83gec_spacestation13-1_videogames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
Haha, melons. I always know to keep an eye on him now.

The only really good story I have about ss13 is the one time I succeeded as traitor.

I was the head of security one round and it turns out i'm the traitor! yay, I can try to do stuff again. However, my task was...easy. Especially for the HoS who can already change IDs. It was to escape with a full-access ID on me...boooring. But hey, I have free reign to cause chaos and bust heads now! I prefer stealthy stuff though, so I take a voice changer and sleepy pen with me. A sleepy pen is a pen that looks totally normal, but it's actually a one shot injector of powerful sleep toxins, instantly putting whoever you jab it with to sleep. It only has one use in it though.

So I go ahead and fulfill the objective first, then make a fake ID. I forget what the name was, but I remember it was some not so well known actor. The voice changer works with IDs you make yourself too, somehow. It's full access, but the ID label says scientist. So first I head to atmospherics, oh dear, two people already there. So I convince them they're needed on the other end of the station. I also think I released a canister of N2O(sleeping gas) outside the door too, but they had masks and avoided it. At least they didn't suspect anything.

So then I try to flood the station's air system with plasma, doesn't go so well..i'm not too good with atmos systems. A security guard walks in, sees me messing with the pipes and the red warning lights blinking on the filters(meaning plasma in the air pipes..) and asks what the gently caress is up. I suddenly change topic, say I have a plan about the current situation and walk up to him, saying "Don't worry, I have a plan!" he doesn't suspect anything, asks me what the plan is and...jabbed with sleepy pen. I toss him out into the N2O leak, since it's possible to die in the game from overexposure to it.

So then I go into toxins, there's already a guy here, but I think he eventually leaves for some reason, but he left plenty of plasma in the heaters. I take out a 500 degree tank of plasma, a highly flammable gas in the game. I begin to make an explosive bomb out of it, when suddenly a newly joined pubbie runs in. I think he was new to the game too, or at least our server.

So he asks what i'm doing and I suddenly act all frantic, tell him there's no time and that the AI is insane. I give him the bomb, tell him to put it into his backpack and to run to the outside of AI upload and to set it down, then radio me when the backpack containing the bomb is in place.

He agrees and runs off, at which point I just wait a few seconds and detonate the bomb in his backpack. What luck, he was right outside the AI upload chamber too! At this point, he raises a big stink in OOC about how we're all horrible players and greifers, then decides this is the PERFECT moment to surprise us all with him being a furry.

I don't know why the hell he did or WHY he would bring something like that up to us all, but he's quickly searched, his deviantart found and all of it is really stupid animu stuff that's poorly drawn. The hilarity that followed in the OOC chat was amazing.

At this point, some admin began playing "You've got the touch" over the sound of the game, which more nostalgic goons would remember from the old transformers movie when they were kids.
I suddenly decide to shoot two other crew members in the head with lasers in the station's bar because shooting people with laser beams to 80's music is awesome. I steal a spacesuit for no reason and sneak onto the shuttle with my fake identity once again, only putting my real one back on and removing my helmet after my successful escape and the message saying I had won.

OrangeSoda fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 28, 2009

• Locked thread