Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Just A Little Bit Closer...
K-star is a brand of kits. Treats doesn't list them on his site as k-star, but that is what his "treats 50 and 70cc kits" are in case you are interested in researching performance parts before you buy them. I actually just finished putting one on. Now if only my jets would hurry the gently caress up and get delivered so I can actually start it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

OlDirtyBehrmann posted:

K-star is a brand of kits. Treats doesn't list them on his site as k-star, but that is what his "treats 50 and 70cc kits" are in case you are interested in researching performance parts before you buy them. I actually just finished putting one on. Now if only my jets would hurry the gently caress up and get delivered so I can actually start it up.

Cool. Let me know how the jetting goes; that's my biggest worry is that I'll gently caress up the chop and not match everything well. It sucks because all reviews are more or less anecdotal, but I grabbed the Boss because it's supposed to have a fairly decent midrange on top of the highend, and it'd be nice to have something that's all around decent to ride (on top of 2-stroke peaky yay).

I get off early this afternoon, so as long as it doesn't rain, I'm gonna go through my new toy to see what needs cleaning and what just needs tightening etc...

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

I've met probably a dozen people with the boss pipe and they all swear it is the best cheap pipe.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I live in Kalamazoo and I'm looking into getting a moped, and I've been looking at a Puch Magnum. How much should I expect to pay for one in decent condition, with some rust in a few spots? I've seen a few sellers on Ebay listing theirs for around $800-$900 but that seems awfully high, I was expecting something more in the $400-$500 range.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Go on Craigslist and wait for a deal. Around Boston, you'll see a lot of top-shape 'peds at the $600-800 range, especially in Spring/Summer. Those same bikes go for $300-400 come fall/winter. Sometimes you get lucky and find someone who just wants to get rid of theirs, and other times a simple problem will save you a ton of money (20 minutes to clean the carb = $500 off? sure!). I don't recommend that second route unless you know what you're doing and looking for, though. Or if you're interested in fixing as well, I suppose.

I hate Ebay for the inflated prices. Try mopedarmy as well; they tend to be kinda hit or miss; some folks thing their peds are worth way more than they are, and others realize the community knows the value of certain things and give a fair price.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Well, that stuff and Magnums are one of the most coveted models. Expect to pay a premium for a good condition Magnum. The thing is, while they might start off high at 800-900 dollars, even if it was only 300 to start with, the bidding typically takes them up to the 800 dollar range by the end of the auction anyways. Luckily for you, Kalamazoo seems to have a pretty good moped scene. As stated above, scour craiglist and you're sure to find something. Also, don't hate on Ebay. My I got my favorite moped (2001 Tomos TTLX) for only $200, and all it needed was a carb cleaning.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Why is the Magnum so coveted? Is it that it's a top-tank rather than step-through?

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
I would assume that and the fact that its a puch are the reason.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

God-damned Pilates posted:

Why is the Magnum so coveted? Is it that it's a top-tank rather than step-through?

It looks more like a real bike and is nice and stable for higher speed modding. I only paid $500 for mine and it is immaculate, so don't think you have to spend 8-900 for one, you just might have to wait for loving ever to find a great deal.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Puch Progress:

New crank and pedal installed. Carb removed for cleaning.

Jawa Progress:

Started disassembling to send some parts to an ambitious guy in Arizona. Discovered the entire handlebar/stem assembly is one giant, welded together piece.

Anybody need the frame/tank/engine for a 1977 Jawa 207 fo' free who wants to drive south of boston, send me a PM.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I was looking into articles on Moped gangs (because the idea is cute to me), and I found a few things.

1. Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks the idea is cute, since every article from San Francisco to New York mentions the idea as such.

2. Please tell me this isn't a common term:

http://americancity.org/magazine/article/last-exit-boston-moped-gang-grau/

quote:

He brought it down in the back of a pickup with his son, who was just entering college and had apparently exhausted his moped phase by age fifteen, as most mopedophiles do.

quote:

as most mopedophiles

quote:

mopedophiles

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
I've never heard of it. I think I would punch someone in the face if I ever heard it in person.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I've never heard it either. I actually know someone who was in a moped gang in connecticut, and they didn't use it either.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone interested in a 77 Puch Maxi? $600 is the "I hope I get that" price.

I'd go less for a goon ;-*: http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/1143169642.html

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
That looks like a good deal, and if I wasn't stuck in VA I'd pick it up. Good luck selling it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I picked it up with intentions of having it be a wife cruiser, but she's not interested in messing around with premix, or smelling like 2-stroke, so off to the chopping block it goes.

She may wind up riding the Honda-converted RV90 I'm making.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phat_Albert posted:

Anyone interested in a 77 Puch Maxi? $600 is the "I hope I get that" price.

I'd go less for a goon ;-*: http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/1143169642.html

Aaaaaannnd its gone!

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

I've heard the term mopedophile, but it was being used for the purposes of humor. I'm having some issues with my jetting. I'm not getting a nice coffee color on my plugs, but I'm 4 stroking on the very bottom end and the top end seems sluggish like I'm not getting complete ignition. Would running a hot plug(ngk bp5hs) make my plugs appear lighter? I have jetted up from a 70 to a 74 to keep from siezing during break in, but it was definitely a lot faster on the 70.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Is there any problem with using a colortune rather than a plug chop on two strokes? I'd like to be able to use the most accurate and least frustrating method of figuring out my jetting. The only worry I have is that the 2-stroke oil would somehow compound things, but if it won't, I may just splurge.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

OlDirtyBehrmann posted:

I've heard the term mopedophile, but it was being used for the purposes of humor. I'm having some issues with my jetting. I'm not getting a nice coffee color on my plugs, but I'm 4 stroking on the very bottom end and the top end seems sluggish like I'm not getting complete ignition. Would running a hot plug(ngk bp5hs) make my plugs appear lighter? I have jetted up from a 70 to a 74 to keep from siezing during break in, but it was definitely a lot faster on the 70.

Youv'e answered your own question. You're pig rich. Lean it out, and you'll be better.

You don't want "coffee" you want "almost white" with a light tan at the base of the insulator.

What carburator are you using? On what bike? With what jets?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

So I figure I'll get the 'ped running right before I try improving it. The carb was dirty as poo poo, but simple (this is coming from a rack of Keihin CV's on a CB750), so I soaked it in carb cleaner and did a bit of e-string magic on it.

I go outside, and the ped's out of gas. That makes sense; it was on its side when we picked it up (in the back of the Altima) and it leaked a bit onto the towels we laid out. The kid I bought it off said he had enough fuel in it to try to get it running (it wouldn't hold idle; thus the carb cleaning), so I figure that's why it's empty.

I drive out to the gas station, fill my car up, and fill a gallon container. I drive back, and dump close to the whole gallon in the bike (it has a .7 gal capacity I believe).

Oh the float bowl is leaking. That's not surprising, but didn't I turn the petcock off?

I did.

Oh gently caress.

So now, after half an hour of waiting for the gas to refill the gascan from that tiny gasline, Treats is sending me a new petcock. And a floatbowl gasket.

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Nerobro posted:

Youv'e answered your own question. You're pig rich. Lean it out, and you'll be better.

You don't want "coffee" you want "almost white" with a light tan at the base of the insulator.

What carburator are you using? On what bike? With what jets?

By coffee, i should clarify, Coffee with cream, not dark brown. Puch magnum with a bing. I've been riding the piss out of it since I kitted it and think its well on its way to being fully broke in. I had a downjetted to a 72 a couple days ago and wasn't 4 stroking at all, and had to drop to 70 halfway through a ride because I started 4 stroking again. My top speed has been steadily increasing up to 41 mph on flat ground earlier today. Not too shabby for a 50cc. Makes me want to go up to 70cc and get a treats cdi(the full cdi kit is in stock now for $77, by the way)

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I get my new 15mm Bing from some dude off Moped Army...and it and the filter have sparkles all over/in them. What the hell? Now I've gotta clean sparkles off something that should never ever have sparkles in it.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
:cawg: Careful, you don't want to wash away any pixie power.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Simkin posted:

:cawg: Careful, you don't want to wash away any pixie power.

F'ing moped army

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot
etiquette question:

Can a ct90 roll with a moped gang? Or am I going to be relegated to the Ruckus nerd gang?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Alcohol Kills posted:

etiquette question:

Can a ct90 roll with a moped gang? Or am I going to be relegated to the Ruckus nerd gang?

Have you considered that a bike with a shifter, no pedals, and more than 50cc is a motorcycle?

But sure, roll with whomever :-)

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot

Nerobro posted:

Have you considered that a bike with a shifter, no pedals, and more than 50cc is a motorcycle?

But sure, roll with whomever :-)

People on motorcycles roll their eyes and call it a scooter, people on mopeds call it full-sized four-stroke weak sauce.

Trail bikes get no respect around here! I just want to know which broad generalization my tiny, underpowered motorcycle fits into, damnit.

Maybe I'll just tell everyone it was a 50cc but then I put two kits on it.

I still can't believe I have to get a motorcycle license to be legal on this thing, ugh.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Blasphemy.

Is a CB450A not a motorcycle becasue it's an autotragic? What about a GS300A? how about all the little Z50's?

If it's got two wheels, you're in the club.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Just spot-weld some pedals onto the frame and tell people you souped it up, no one will really know!

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Just spot-weld some pedals onto the frame and tell people you souped it up, no one will really know!

I'm tempted to find some horrible way of attaching a pedalcrank to my CB750 just to tell people it's a "giant moped."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I'm tempted to find some horrible way of attaching a pedalcrank to my CB750 just to tell people it's a "giant moped."

That could backfire horribly when you get pulled over on the freeway for riding a motorized bicycle. :xd:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'm very tempted. Have you seen the kickstarters on harleys? Those are bike pedals.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Moped report:

One '77 Puch Maxi is officially running again! I cleaned the 12mm Bing, stuck a new float bowl gasket on, put the new petcock on, and put some gas in the tank. It's an approximate 32:1 ratio; it may be slightly richer.

No petcock leak = awesome.
Slight float bowl leak = not unexpected. gently caress it; the 15mm Bing's going on to replace the 12mm when I get a free weekend anyhow (also a Tecno Boss pipe). The current 12mm has a 65 jet from the factory; I'm thinking 72-76 should be good with a 15mm and the new pipe. Sound good to everyone?

Niggling issues: The forks are straight, but the front wheel seems...off. Also the speedo doesn't work, but someone didn't put the cable back in correctly, so that'll be easy to fix. The brakes are a bit iffy even after I tightened them. The start switch does not work (I just choked it out to kill it). The tail light, similarly, does not appear to function. It wasn't lit at all, however, so it may just be dead and not miswired.

I'm pretty stoked.

oh, also

Kit Status: One DMP (K-Star) 70cc kit made its way to me in the mail from Treats, along with all kinds of jets. I'm not gonna bother with it until I've ridden around for a while, but chamfering is the first order of business.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

So I went for a nice ride today, and it appears my baffle worked its way off the bike. I'm going to stick a different exhaust on anyhow, but is there a problem (other than noise) to running without a baffle?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Question:

My friend's (used to be mine) 82 Honda Urban Express won't run now, after having it running a while ago. We removed the by-starter because it was completely wrecked, and have been manually choking the carb (fingers over the throat) to start it. This worked well for a while, but now if you take the "choke" off, even after 10 minutes, it just dies. The carb has been gone through and rebuilt, and it's still doing this. Could it be something with the vacuum in the carb, or a float problem? I told my buddy to just pick up a new carb for it instead of messing with the 27-year-old Keihin. What do you guys suggest? I'm not terribly familiar with 2-strokes, so I'm not sure if there could be something else messing up (reed valve is good).

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Question:

My friend's (used to be mine) 82 Honda Urban Express won't run now, after having it running a while ago. We removed the by-starter because it was completely wrecked, and have been manually choking the carb (fingers over the throat) to start it. This worked well for a while, but now if you take the "choke" off, even after 10 minutes, it just dies. The carb has been gone through and rebuilt, and it's still doing this. Could it be something with the vacuum in the carb, or a float problem? I told my buddy to just pick up a new carb for it instead of messing with the 27-year-old Keihin. What do you guys suggest? I'm not terribly familiar with 2-strokes, so I'm not sure if there could be something else messing up (reed valve is good).

If you're finger choking it, does it have an air filter? If not, it's probably running crazy lean. Get a filter for it and see if that helps.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Yeah I figured it was running super lean. The filter doesn't help.

Unreal Fantasy
Oct 18, 2004
So i bought this Peugeot 103 from this 16 year old, it was a good price but over all i was weary about his skills fixing things. here it is:

Scoping things out i notice the throttle cable isnt connected and the choke cable has been kinda haggardly put on.

took the engine off and now im in the process of installing the kit he "installed", piston on upside down, not all the bolts were installed on the reed valve casing, causing an awesome airleak. hopefully ill get her running.

sorry for the cell pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS
I decided to check around craigslist for any mopeds and I happened to come across two:
a garelli:
http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/1139433569.html
and a puch:
http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/1180158390.html

I haven't heard much about garelli from this thread.

• Locked thread