Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
What's with the price disparity for headlights? I want to sort of streetfighter my bike since the fairings and windscreen look like poo poo (cracked and spraypainted horribly drippily by the previous owner).

I was thinking of just getting a 7" round headlight, but prices are anywhere from 15 to 250 dollars. Is there any risk in getting a cheap one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Gerber
Jul 22, 2007
Well it ain't soy sauce!
I've got an issue with my '83 kz440 ltd D5 belt drive that i was hoping for some help with. I've got a noise that's coming from the rear of the bike and from exactly where i'm not sure. This is my first motorcycle and really have no idea what the gently caress i'm doing.

It's a sort of ka-klunk ka-klunk that seems to be coming from the rear wheel. I did both rear wheel bearings and hub bearing last fall and it didn't have any effect on the noise, although i am thinking of taking the rear wheel off again just to make sure they're all spinning freely. I have video below that you can hear the noise in and really don't know what else to do.

I'm located in southern maine if anygoon knows someone around here that works on old metrics. The local bike shop told me they wouldn't work on anything that old.

Bike running last year pre bearing job

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3580658016412055263&q=source%3A008745570048694532305&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7516713113386815750&q=source%3A008745570048694532305&hl=en

Bike rolling this year post bearing job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4POPCiJsqPA

Centerstand moving the real wheel by hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6zFLsUVR7k

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Jeff Gerber posted:

I've got an issue with my '83 kz440 ltd D5 belt drive that i was hoping for some help with. I've got a noise that's coming from the rear of the bike and from exactly where i'm not sure. This is my first motorcycle and really have no idea what the gently caress i'm doing.

Centerstand moving the real wheel by hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6zFLsUVR7k
Sounds to me like the belt isn't aligned with the spindles. Or whatever you call the belt version of sprockets. I've had something similar with a car, the tensioner was pulling the belt to the side, so it was slipping slightly off the water pump spindle, and the clunk was the sound of it popping back into place.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

You know, I've never thought about how carb sync would affect bikes of different engine size. From my experience with my little Hondas, it makes perfect sense.

Hmm, the more you know.

I didn't know my bike made around 90hp. It's pretty docile until the last 2k rpm where it hits pretty hard.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Nerobro posted:

Sounds a little like you're not properly using a can of chain lube. I can make a can of lube last 10k+ :-) But if you really want to be cheap. Get a little oil can, and a bottle of 90w oil. Every other gas stop, run a little lube along the gap between the chain side plates on each side of the chain, and call it a day.

You're really just trying to keep crap in suspension and flung off. The real lubing comes from the grease trapped inside the chain by the o-rings.

If you want to clean a chain while on the road you can always use the paper towels they have at the station, and soak one with a bit of diesel fuel that you just buy at the pump. The thing you really don't want to do is use a wax style chain lube, and just layer it on without cleaning it. I prefer chain wax for street riding, and I definitely subscribe to the less is more theory. A couple of years ago I spent about 8hr riding through a downpour, and the next day the chain was still nice and tacky with wax. Unless you are planning on riding on a bunch of dirt roads, if you are using a chain wax, I'd plan on cleaning and lubing it twice on the trip.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
I bought a Shoei RF-1000 that I was going to have a friend of mine do a custom paint job on. I removed the vents and got everything ready for him. Well, the plans fell through and I'm trying to get the helmet ready for use again. When I took the vents off there was a gummy glue along the lines of contact between the vent bases and the helmet. Does anyone know what would be a suitable replacement? I don't want to use something too strong which will make it impossible to take the vents off and I don't think glue gun will work. Thanks for any advice.

Jeff Gerber
Jul 22, 2007
Well it ain't soy sauce!

chryst posted:

Sounds to me like the belt isn't aligned with the spindles. Or whatever you call the belt version of sprockets. I've had something similar with a car, the tensioner was pulling the belt to the side, so it was slipping slightly off the water pump spindle, and the clunk was the sound of it popping back into place.

You were exactly right, i needed to do a wheel alignment/belt tension adjustment. I almost have it perfect, but every time i go just a little too far on one side or the other i have to back the tensioners off to nothing and start over. Not because you have to, it's just easier for me to start from zero.

Thanks for the reply, it was just what i needed to kickstart a brain fart.

Asbestos
Jun 2, 2004

Had a bit of trouble with my '06 Monster 620 this afternoon. I let my bike sit in the sun all day at work (it was like 95°F/35°C, and when I tried to start it to go home it wouldn't stay running. On the Ducatis if you just press and release the start button it will crank until the engine starts up (or, I assume until it times out after some delay). The engine would crank for a while, would make "gas is igniting" noises and then stall. You could keep it running by giving it some throttle, but if you let off the gas it would immediately stall. It was almost as if instead of the throttle "zero" position being "idle" it was "give it NO gas at all".

After just giving it enough gas to keep the revs up around 1.5-2k for a minute to get the bike warm it ran fine, I made it most of the way home, stopped for an hour for dinner with friends, and then started it and rode home fine. It was pretty shaky initially, almost like one cylinder either wasn't making power or was doing a pretty poor job, and the exhaust smelled 'gassier' than normal. No noticeable smoke. I wasn't looking at the pipes at all, but a car guy and a Harley guy were standing around offering advice like "check the positive battery terminal" and "does it have gas?" and both remarked on the gas smell when starting. Neither said anything like "holy poo poo look at the smoke" I popped the gas cap and heard it hiss a little so there was a bit of a pressure dif.

For reference: It's an all black bike, I had the seat off of it for an hour prior to starting, it's a fuel injected 618cc 90° L-twin. According to the odometer the fuel level was at about 70% (read ~40mi, fuel light lights about 140). I feed it premium (92-94). It has never done this before and I've been riding it since Feb in temps ranging from 33°F to 90+°.

Is something going wonky with the bike or did it just have indigestion from cooking in the sun too long? In any event I'm parking it in the shade from now on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If it continues to have issues, I'd look into it, but given the situation, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Plus, it's a ducati, issues like that come standard :xd:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Sounds like a textbook case of vapor lock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock

Considering the all-black bike and the hot weather it would probably be the cause.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Would an 06 be likely to have a vacuum canister? If that canister or the hoses get clogged up, you will have issues-from what I'm reading, the canister did the job it was designed to do, catching gas fumes, but got so full of fuel that it puked up more than it was supposed to. It may be too full and possibly need to be replaced-I wonder if the emission control warranty would cover that? On cars there is extra coverage for emission parts, wouldn't bikes be the same?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I dunno. Sounds pretty normal to me. You likely either got outside the EFI's designed operating conditions, or that pressure in the tank caused the injectors to go rich. I wouldn't worry to much. :-)

The bike went seriously rich. I get the exact same behavior on my bikes if the petcock doesn't shut off right, or a float gets stuck.

This is the poo poo you deal with for having "blind" injection.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
Ok, time for the first oil change. The manual says to use 10w-40, and nothing labeled as "energy conserving".

Anything else I should know about picking oil, or will the box of Castrol GTX synthetic stuff I've got be ok?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
catrol GTX, I guarantee is energy conserving. You want rotella - T

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

chryst posted:

Ok, time for the first oil change. The manual says to use 10w-40, and nothing labeled as "energy conserving".

Anything else I should know about picking oil, or will the box of Castrol GTX synthetic stuff I've got be ok?

Hooo-boy. The eternally argued question.

Personally, I just go buy motorcycle oil because the extra $3 is worth the peace of mind and not having to deal with a bunch of people arguing over motor oil.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

chryst posted:

Just go grab some diesel or motorcycle oil. Don't use car oil.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just use soap or vegetable oil or whatever you have that is slippery

Protip: dont use lava soap.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Nerobro posted:

Huh. Never noticed if it was or not. Never looked either, so there we go.

Doctor Zero posted:

Hooo-boy. The eternally argued question.

Personally, I just go buy motorcycle oil because the extra $3 is worth the peace of mind and not having to deal with a bunch of people arguing over motor oil.

Bob Morales posted:

Just go grab some diesel or motorcycle oil. Don't use car oil.
Thanks. I was using the Castrol in the old bike, since I figured what the hell, it's an old bike.

Motorcycle oil it is. Just need to find some. Hopefully Pep Boys carries it.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Nerobro posted:

My bike says it requires 10w40 (like most motorcycles) however the only Rotella-T I can find is Dino 15w40, or Synthetic 5w40. Would those work or would I be better off finding a 10w40?

I ask this because the cheapest proper motorcycle oil around here is $40 for 4 liters. 15w40 Rotella-T is $20.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MrZig posted:

My bike says it requires 10w40 (like most motorcycles) however the only Rotella-T I can find is Dino 15w40, or Synthetic 5w40. Would those work or would I be better off finding a 10w40?

I ask this because the cheapest proper motorcycle oil around here is $40 for 4 liters. 15w40 Rotella-T is $20.

Either of those would be fine. I'd personally go with the synth 5w40.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
The 5w40 would be better than the 15w40... it's also what I put in my SV650 (which requires 10w40 by the manual)

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Z3n posted:

Plus, it's a ducati, issues like that come standard :xd:

My Duc started running on one cylinder today, scared the crap outta me because I roll with no tools (mad weight savings braahhh) But luckily I flipped up the tank and saw one the cables to my ignition module loose. Funny thing is that I hadn't messed with those wires since I did my carbs three weeks ago. Why it came loose now I'll never know.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

My Duc started running on one cylinder today, scared the crap outta me because I roll with no tools (mad weight savings braahhh) But luckily I flipped up the tank and saw one the cables to my ignition module loose. Funny thing is that I hadn't messed with those wires since I did my carbs three weeks ago. Why it came loose now I'll never know.

Vtwins vibrate, a lot. I have the same issue on my SV, occasionally something will vibrate loose or ground out. Things will work themselves out over time, which is why it's good to give the bike a good clean and once over every so often. It'll help you ID problems before they cause you to break down.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
If I bought an exhaust where the pipes angle upward, would I need to be concerned about riding in the rain?

Specifically this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb6OmGbsovQ

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

chryst posted:

If I bought an exhaust where the pipes angle upward, would I need to be concerned about riding in the rain?

Specifically this one:

No.

But jesus, that exhaust made it sound horrible. Like a toy. Maybe it's just the video quality, but my god.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

chryst posted:

Specifically this one:

seriously?

of course not. even if it did manage to get water in there while the bike was parked, as soon as you start the engine it'd fountain out immediately. while the engine is running nothing is going to go up your exhaust.

Z3n posted:

But jesus, that exhaust made it sound horrible. Like a toy. Maybe it's just the video quality, but my god.

i find most cameras simply cant capture the noise of an sv exhaust properly.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 29, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
e: wait, I'm full of it.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

No.

Seemed to me it sounds about the same, without the electric-ish whine sound. I dunno if that's what you mean or not.

echomadman posted:

seriously?

of course not. even if it did manage to get water in there while the bike was parked, as soon as you start the engine it'd fountain out immediately. while the engine is running nothing is going to go up your exhaust.
I figured as much, but this being my first new bike, I've still got a lot of dumb new-bike questions.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm looking for a standard threaded mount for mirrors, but it needs to be cast into the side of the mount that's closest to the rider. Most mirrors on standards mount into a threaded part cast into the clutch lever mount or brake master cylinder, but I need to find some that attach the outer part so that I can swap them over to the g/f's bike. Anyone have a bike that has something that resembles that? I could get some machined, but I think that'd be quite a bit of work for something so simple.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

echomadman posted:

as soon as you start the engine it'd fountain out immediately.

In addition to that the exhaust gets hot enough to vaporize any water that gets in there anyway.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

chryst posted:

Seemed to me it sounds about the same, without the electric-ish whine sound. I dunno if that's what you mean or not.

I figured as much, but this being my first new bike, I've still got a lot of dumb new-bike questions.

If you let it sit in the rain a lot, the water might pool inside the pipes and rust them from the inside, but you won't let your bike sit in the rain right? RIGHT?

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004

Z3n posted:

I'm looking for a standard threaded mount for mirrors, but it needs to be cast into the side of the mount that's closest to the rider. Most mirrors on standards mount into a threaded part cast into the clutch lever mount or brake master cylinder, but I need to find some that attach the outer part so that I can swap them over to the g/f's bike. Anyone have a bike that has something that resembles that? I could get some machined, but I think that'd be quite a bit of work for something so simple.

I'm not sure what the clutch and master cylinders look like on the bike you're putting them on, but would something like this work?

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Brand/Kawasaki/klr%20650%20mirror%20mount.htm

They're just a replacement for the other side of the clamp that holds the master cylinder on. I might have a few stock ones lying around if you want to experiment with them before buying. They get broken. A lot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Taelrin posted:

I'm not sure what the clutch and master cylinders look like on the bike you're putting them on, but would something like this work?

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Brand/Kawasaki/klr%20650%20mirror%20mount.htm

They're just a replacement for the other side of the clamp that holds the master cylinder on. I might have a few stock ones lying around if you want to experiment with them before buying. They get broken. A lot.

Yes! That is exactly what I'm looking for. If you have some lying around that you could send me for test fitting, I'd be happy to cover shipping + something for your time. Send me a PM/e-mail with your info :)

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
I was just out looking in my shop and I can't seem to find the ones I knew I had. Probably should get around to cleaning it some day... Sorry, I'll keep an eye out for them.

While I was out there I also noticed that the mirror mounts on my GZ250 were the same as what you wanted so there's another place to look for them.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Doctor Zero posted:

If you let it sit in the rain a lot, the water might pool inside the pipes and rust them from the inside, but you won't let your bike sit in the rain right? RIGHT?

How terrible is it to leave a bike in the rain? My new place won't have a garage :ohdear:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
The guilt will drive you insaaaaaaane :emo:

It's not bad to leave it in the rain occasionally, but you probably don't want to leave it out in the elements for a year or two, especially if you're not riding it. If you don't have any covered parking, why not just buy a cover? Cheap protection against the elements (and less determined assholes/birds).

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

echomadman posted:

i find most cameras simply cant capture the noise of an sv exhaust properly.
Just to update my earlier stupid question, I picked up the exhaust tonight, and, the camera's audio definitely sucked. The bike now has a lower, louder growl. Way closer to what you'd expect from a v-twin, and much less of that sewing-machine whine. Pretty happy with my first mod.

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

BlueBayou posted:

How terrible is it to leave a bike in the rain? My new place won't have a garage :ohdear:

Oh god please don't leave it in the rain. As said, buy a cover or a storage unit if it isn't your main form of transportation. You REALLY don't want to leave it in the rain.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CoolBlue posted:

Oh god please don't leave it in the rain. As said, buy a cover or a storage unit if it isn't your main form of transportation. You REALLY don't want to leave it in the rain.

I've been leaving mine in the rain on and off for four years now with little problem. I have a tiny bit of surface rust in a handful of places and that's it. It's just water; the bike isn't going to melt from it.

I do have a cover that I try to get on if rain is forecasted, but I'm lazy sometimes. And it's ripped.

I don't leave it out in the snow, however. It's tucked away nice and safe for the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

Uthor posted:

I've been leaving mine in the rain on and off for four years now with little problem. I have a tiny bit of surface rust in a handful of places and that's it. It's just water; the bike isn't going to melt from it.

I do have a cover that I try to get on if rain is forecasted, but I'm lazy sometimes. And it's ripped.

I don't leave it out in the snow, however. It's tucked away nice and safe for the winter.

I know it's just water, but it can cause a whole heap of problems. And that "surface" rust you have will eventually spread and go deeper if you don't take care of it (which you said you were lazy, so I assume that won't happen). That rust most likely wouldn't have appeared if the bike wasn't in the rain.