Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

I don't have any really good SS13 traitor stories, but there was the time I managed to weld someone into the toxins storage room. He eventually started begging me to let him out, so I decided to let the fellow out. I just made sure to leave a proximity bomb in front of the door first.

I also enjoy punishing/executing dumb pubbies by giving them the tan of their lives. I strap them to a bed and set up a glass box, which I fill with plasma and a lit welding tool. The plasma lights on fire and the tanning process begins. If the pubbie doesn't know the game very well, they'll usually start laughing because, hey, the fire is contained, right? Then the burning plasma heats up the air around them, causing their lungs to eventually melt. It's surprisingly satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a good guide somewhere to show me how to play SS13 well? I tried it out last night and didn't really have much of a clue as to what was going on. The help window was nice, but didn't cover much.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Ninjasaurus posted:

Is there a good guide somewhere to show me how to play SS13 well? I tried it out last night and didn't really have much of a clue as to what was going on. The help window was nice, but didn't cover much.

This has some good info:

http://ss13.donglabs.com/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

OrangeSoda posted:

At this point, he raises a big stink in OOC about how we're all horrible players and greifers, then decides this is the PERFECT moment to surprise us all with him being a furry.
This is the funniest non sequitor I can recall seeing in a very long time. :laugh:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
The only time I logged into SS13 was still fairly memorable for me, mostly because I had only the vaguest clue how to do anything and wanted it that way.

Of course i started off as an assistant, completely useless, and after figuring out how to put on some clothes I immediately ran over to a locker and accidentally latched onto it.

Having no real idea how to let it go, I did the most logical thing possible: I elected myself Cleanup Crew, and began dragging the locker around the station, picking up absolutely anything lying around, and shoving it into the locker. This included badges, weapons, suits, and anything else that would fit.

Apparently at the time the guards were going crazy and arresting EVERYONE, and both sides were scrambling for weapons and equipment as the station devolved into chaos. One of the guards was stripping everyone he knocked unconscious naked, and leaving their clothes/gear around, so I shoved all that into the locker and continued on my way.

Since I didn't know how to do anything and could barely communicate, I was about as useless as an actual retarded janitor, but i rest happy knowing that by the end of the game more than half the station was naked and no one could find any of the tools they had been working with. Eventually everyone was fighting with planks of metal and glass because nothing else was really lying around worth using.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
ss13 bestmin here

My favourite moments are changing my icon to that of a floating black face and becoming El Blackface Diablo. I'm also fond of changing it to that picture of Mohammad that they got all outraged about quite some time back.

I also love being my character "I am an Owl." Whereas it's dangerously close to being a furry fantasy, people follow and worship the Owl, who only communicates with "Toohhoo" and "Toowoo" etc. I've had several people beat down the Captain/Security because they dared try to stop me going somewhere. It's like a wonderful cult.

Too-wit!

Nannek
Apr 20, 2006

UOI

Ninjasaurus posted:

You can always use the 'adminhelp' command, tell us you are a goon and you'll probably be helped by the admins that are on.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Nannek posted:

You can always use the 'adminhelp' command, tell us you are a goon and you'll probably be helped by the admins that are on.

Will do -- I was on the goon server last night. Also, thank you stuntwaffle for the helpful link. I checked it out a bit and now have a better idea of what is going on. Practice makes perfect now.

Hopefully I can generate some amazing grief stories from it. Thanks guys.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ninjasaurus posted:

Will do -- I was on the goon server last night. Also, thank you stuntwaffle for the helpful link. I checked it out a bit and now have a better idea of what is going on. Practice makes perfect now.

Hopefully I can generate some amazing grief stories from it. Thanks guys.

You didnt click aimlessly like I told you to

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

AkumaHokoru posted:

You didnt click aimlessly like I told you to

I did that for awhile until I had a fire extinguisher attached to me, and I was naked and lying down and had no idea how any of it happened. I also think I kept pushing myself down. It was fantastic. The game was griefing me.

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant
Yes, you can kick your own rear end in SS13, the first time I played I knocked myself out with a toolbox.

After seeing the deluge of SS13 stories, I guess I’ll change it up a bit and post some storied about griefing in other games, as it is a pretty regular practice for my group of friends.

GMOD: Noxious RP
If you have ever played GMOD for HL2, chances are you've played one of the varying game modes that the Noxious Net admin "jetboom" has created. It's very likely you've played zombie survival or an offshoot of it (usually very lovely versions ripped off old source done by pubbies). In any case, Jetboom is a fairly gigantic douche bag most of the time, but he DOES produce some quality mods, one of which was my all-time favorite, NoxRP.

This was a fairly typical RP mod for GMOD, though it was much more complex and robust than most of the RP modes out right now, and ran on a fairly cool map. The best part of this mod was the neigh infinite methods for griefing people. First of all, when you bought property in this game, you owned it permanently, that is, unless you forgot to pay maintenance on it for a week. The status of property could be monitored by checking the doors and seeing what the "state" of them was.
Also, very occasionally, when Jetboom would release a big update, property would be reset.

Anyways, this leads property to be highly coveted, and something people went apeshit trying to get, furiously farming "cash" in game to purchase the best spots. This was prime opportunity for griefing and me and a cadre of friends who all share the same vent decided to gently caress with the tools that play on this server.

Our first project was called "project squatter", where we would actively blockade sections of the map by exploiting a physics glitch which could move heavy and otherwise immovable objects. This led to us blocking off a huge section of the map which could only be access by tunnel with cars and dumpsters. Why is this important? Because all the property on the other side could not be maintained by the owners. This means, that while we had guys logged off there (the server saved your position in the map when you logged off, think of it like logging off in WoW or other MMOs), we could log in periodically and check the status of all the properties we had isolated, and nobody else could get to them. By doing this, we managed to get access to and purchase (through funds sent by the one guy NOT behind the blockade, who farmed cash for the rest of us) all of the property we had "quarantined". We accumulated a HUGE stash of in-game items this way, weapons, armor, healing kits etc.. and stashed them all in 1 building, then we unblocked the area and basically let the pubbies once again purchase their lovely little hovels, now devoid of any meaningful property.

That alone was enough to cause people to hate our group, but we took it oh so much further.

Midnight Mafia Massacre
At this point, people figured out we were all in cahoots, our little group was well known to be jerks by most of the regulars. However, that did not stop us, as I mentioned previously, we had found a glitch which allowed moving heavy objects that normally could only be slightly nudged. With this knowledge in hand, we proceeded to observe areas of high traffic and found out that a "mafia" group had purchase a nearby building. The best part of this was that it was very close to 2 dumpsters and was accessed by going down a small alleyway staircase downwards. It was at this point that I presented the group with an idea to make even more money and farm pubbie tears.

We waited until the mafia had a large gathering of their people in their HQ, at which point 2 teams split up and moved the dumpsters right out to the top of the staircase, while I quickly isolated and killed the guards outside. We then pushed the dumpsters down the stairs and effectively blocked the entire hallway and even the door from opening. And then we waited....

It took only a few minutes for the Mafia leaders to discover what had happened, they had been trapped, like rats into their tiny den of stupidity. They immediately set to spamming the /OOC (out of character) chat with claims that somehow their door was bugged and would not open. Eventually one of the admins had come by he observes us standing there and watching the door being banged furiously against the dumpsters. He PMs me and asks what was going on, I explained that we had "nudged" (obviously I didn’t admit to using the exploit) the dumpsters down there and were holding them for ransom. He thought the idea was hilarious and gave us the go ahead to give them our terms. I then proceeded to have every member of their group pay us 10,000 of the in-game currency, each, which was more than half of what we needed for our next project.

The mafia group disbanded the very same day, so in the end it was a double victory for us... which leads to our last "gently caress you" to the NoxRP server.

Ban those Nexus faggots!
We had now formed an in-game group officially, having previously ousted ourselves as a group of evil doing bastards who were working together, we figured we might as well make it official. With our new funds from the mafia group in-hand, we decided we needed some new digs. It was with great luck that a new update was excreted by Jetboom at this point to fix some random inane bugs which meant that the property was going to be reset within a few days, so we had some work ahead of us.

We took the next few days to put 2 plans into action, the first revolved around a 2 man team farming money at the best area in the map, 1 guy which would run around killing the mobs and picking up the cash, and a second guy who would run round and steal all the cash from anyone else hunting in the area.

I'll explain briefly how the second guy accomplished this. In this version of the RP, money was dropped by monsters in the map when killed, and for a short period of time could only be collected by the player who killed the monster. However, there was a very little known (at the time when we found it) exploit around this which was as follows. When a player killed a monster, if you ran up to it and picked up the "cash" model that dropped with a gravity gun and ran off with it, you could pick it up after a few seconds when the timer had expired. Once we discovered this, we turned almost entirely to robbing pubbies of their hard earned "drops" and often used both guys to do this if there was enough people farming. This was a huge source of rage from the server's other inhabitants and soon they started a "petition" in-game to "ban" us from the area, vowing to kill anyone from our group who entered.

Which led to our 2nd plan for money, which was the most profitable and amusing...

People now wanted our blood, they would attack us on sight for the most part and most would do so by using guns, expensive and hard to obtain guns. It was at this point that we hatched a plan. We outfitted 1 player with the most obnoxious and "loud" apparel that could be gotten in-game and made a few binds for annoying sounds as well. He was to become the "bait" so to speak. The other 4 players were all equipped with sniper rifles and a metric ton of ammunition for them. It's important to note at this point that when a player was killed while holding a weapon, they would drop that weapon. I imagine some of you are already figuring out what happened next.

We would send in our "bait" to the farming area, which would spam annoying binds and rile up the pubbie tards by faux hijacking their goods. Once they were sufficiently pissed off and trigger happy, we would post our snipers within range and have the bait lure them by stealing their cash and running to a pre-determined spot. This usually meant he would have a few pubbies chasing him, guns blazing... right up until they came to "the spot". At that point, the snipers would pick off the entire group and quickly rush in to pick up their guns. All the while, even if the pubbies managed to pick off the bait, he would ultimately drop nothing but the "cash" that they were after anyways, which was considerably less than the worth of the guns.

Within days, we had an obscene amount of weaponry, which we began "fencing" to all the poor pubbies we had ripped it off from. We used a separate account with no affiliations to our group to do this and reaped a fortune from it.

Not even a full 24 hours after the server was reset, we had purchased the 2 biggest properties on the map, much to the surprise and utter and complete revile of the pubbies. Our mission having been accomplished, we settled down in our new property and made plans for further adventures in griefing.

That's all for now, I’ve got more stories though of this server if anyone wants to hear them, some of which include I aint afeared of no po-lice and Shop Smart, shop S-Mart.

Zenodice fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 29, 2009

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Don't be dumb. Those stories are great and this thread always demands more when asked. :)

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

ASK ME HOW I HAVE CRYING MELTDOWNS ABOUT BEING A GAY FURRY. PS, I'M 16 YEARS OLD

Zenodice posted:

NoxiousRP awesomeness.

You see, this is what this thread is about.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Ignore this, as this is not the thread I thought it was.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Yes, I need to read more of that. Goddamn, you creative crafty bastards.

robertlt
Jul 14, 2008

ay - fuck the system; The Man is ghey
gonna smoke five blunts and watch anime
Skeez, the TLO hook-up, ya'll bitches jock me
Keep it locked down, slangin' that wet n' pocky

Zenodice posted:

That's all for now, i've got more stories though of this server if anyone wants to hear them, some of which include I aint afeared of no po-lice and Shop Smart, shop S-Mart.
Great stories, don't stop posting!

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
You know what, you have inspired me, I am going to get on gmod for the first time in months and gently caress with some 14 year olds that take themselves too seriously.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
My friends and I used to play Counter-Strike:Source a lot, and most of our fun came from loving with the half-retarded people who take the game extremley seriously.

The best was when they added in dynamic pricing. In case you dont know, it was a system where valve tracked how much people bought certain guns, and then adjusted the prices. Since everyone bought guns like the M4, the AK47 and the Deagle these became extremley expensive. The other side of this was that the glock (which there is no reason why anyone would ever buy because the terrorists get them for free and the CTs get a slightly better pistol for free) cost only ten in game dollars.

What we would do is create a script that would, with the press of a button, buy a glock, and drop it on the ground. 4-5 of us would go into a server with unnasuming names, save money for a few rounds, then start hammering our glock keys, causing hundreds of guns to stack up, bounce off each other, and in most cases crash the server.

Then we got on one server that could withstand this. When you bought glocks it would lock up momentarily, but stay up, and after a few moments you could continue playing. Of course, anyone entering a room with stacks of glocks would freeze as their computer struggled to process what they saw, allowing you to run around behind them and knife them to death. Unfortunatley a lot of the screenshots are on my old computer, but here's a good one I still have to give you an idea of what it was like:

In order to avoid getting banned by the incompetent admins we'd do this for a round or two, then leave, change our names and rejoin. I was trying to think of a new name at one point, and noticed a particularly fine one on the list of people playing on the server. His name was xxskull12

We all change our names to things like xxskull11 and xxskull13 and rejoin. He gets on his mic. "heyyyy, uh, xxskull11? change your names. you guys have no right to that name its mine. I've been xxskull12 in everything I've done."

I teamkill him and spray a picture of an old man in a rubber thong over his corpse.

He starts going crazy, yelling at us "WHAT THE gently caress! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU FAGGOTS DOING YOURE STEALING MY NAME"

The next round we all surround him in spawn and start pressing our glock keys. Hundreds of guns start appearing around xxskull12. I say over the mic "Guys we found whose hacking the server its xxskull12! Look at all the guns coming off of him!"

He starts to panic, "Its not me its these other xxskulls!"

One of the other people on the server says "its true all the guns are coming from xxskull 12 he's the hacker"

at this point xxskull12 is in tears. he sobs over the mic "I swear on the holy bible im not hacking! Please dont ban me!"

I ask him, "Do you swear on the holy skull?"

Through sobs he manages to say, "I swear on the allmighty holy skull I am not hacking the server"

The admin bans him, and thanks us for finding him

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I Love You! posted:

The only time I logged into SS13 was still fairly memorable for me, mostly because I had only the vaguest clue how to do anything and wanted it that way.

This is loving amazing, you griefed the server by accident.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

McSpanky posted:

This is loving amazing, you griefed the server by accident.

It wasn't really griefing - no one really hates the retarded janitor, they just would rather he go somewhere else.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

TwingeCrag posted:

You know what, you have inspired me, I am going to get on gmod for the first time in months and gently caress with some 14 year olds that take themselves too seriously.

If you must, join the Goonie Goon Gune server. Yes, it's a goon server, but the assholes that frequent there take GMOD waaaay too seriously.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Grundma posted:

CS

Christ on a cracker, this is hilarious.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Triggs posted:

If you must, join the Goonie Goon Gune server. Yes, it's a goon server, but the assholes that frequent there take GMOD waaaay too seriously.

No way man those dudes are my bros.

Well at least Lazermaniac is.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Oh god I love CS:S stories. I think I might try that pistol thing tonight, that's clever. And "stealing" other people's names is always funny - it's amazing how protective people are of their internet screen names. :psyduck:

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Unfortunatley a week or so after we did that they patched it so there was a limit on how many guns you could buy in a round.

Also, I dont think anyone enables dynamic pricing anymore.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Grundma posted:

Also, I dont think anyone enables dynamic pricing anymore.
It was so awful, I think Valve may have even quietly dropped it - its web page is blank as I write this post (although the page explaining it still exists). I do have fond memories of being able to buy nightvision for $1 while the deagle cost more money than you could possibly accumulate (you can never hold more than $16000), though.

Valve seem to have a real talent for unintentionally griefing their own player base via ill-conceived updates.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
Any RTS with downloadable maps.

A long time ago in a game called Star Trek Armada II, there was a special custom map. In this map, you had three player placements on either side. On one side was a transwarp gate. The gate could essentially be used to warp into anywhere in the map as long as the place was inside your current line of sight (no warping into enemy bases). The gate was capturable by either side, but since the gate was on one side usually only people who chose player positions on that side could get it.

In the middle, of course, was a giant asteroid field barrier. On the other side, there was every single ship and structure in the game. In A2, you could capture starbases or constructors and then build other races' technology. Ships that had no crew were derelicts: you'd just beam over and that ship was yours. So once you got inside, you had access to every single race's tech tree, as well as one of all their units, including stuff like Borg Tactical Fusion Cubes which (comprised of 8 cubes which locked together like a transformer) absolutely massacred entire fleets and were basically mobile superweapons. The middle section didn't have any planets, but you could scuttle stuff for resources.

So me being like 12 at the time pulled off some stuff that I found hilarious. I would make a 3v3 game and then tell my teammates to place right and that I would tell them the secret when I got in. Usually they were cooperative but I usually didn't tell them in advance. We all would place right, and the plan would be laid. Our team would capture the hub, send all our high crew ships and a constructor through, build a starbase inside or take one (forget exactly how it happened), then destroy the hub. As long as we could scuttle the hub in time, the only way another player could get in and challenge us was if they played Borg and built their own. However, the transwarp gate was pretty far along on the tech tree.

So I'd say 'go', activate the portal, and in the space of 30 seconds (there was a loooooong cooldown) everyone would move in and we'd divvy up the units. We'd then capture the hub inside or use the transwarp ability on one of the ships and pop out 20 minutes in with hundreds of units including end-game superweapons, as well as have the structure superweapons of each race like the Romulan ship that exploded and wiped out stuff in its vicinity like a nuke (actually, we'd usually have dozens of these). The other players would have mid-tier ships at best and would get creamed.

The interesting part was that it could be countered: if the other players placed on the right, went Borg and waited us out to build a hub, or managed to rush their ships over to the hub and took out our constructors, the hub, or moved in themselves using stealth (this happened a lot), we'd be toast. In fact, it was actually pretty easy to rush the hub and even capture it for yourself: we had some crazy fights attempting to keep the hub intact (if it was dead, nobody would ever get in) but its crew down so that one team could cap it. I didn't let anyone know of the map's secret beforehand, though, and the tiny picture of the map with the grey blobs in the middle before the game started was a lot less understandable than you think.

I've done some pretty high profile griefing in the past and I think this is how I first learned to love it. The best part was the subtle stuff in the lobby: "oh yeah you shouldn't go Borg, no resources on this map, better go Klingon" or whatever. I only remember it now because a friend reminded me of the game, I should probably go do it now for nostalgic reasons.

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 29, 2009

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant
I guess i'll continue on with the GMOD stories then..

I aint afeared of no po-lice
In this server, you could have a certain "alignment" that would be gained by killing monsters and lost by killing players. This was a system put in place to try and identify "grifers" who would kill people constantly. It was also a prime motivator for people to farm the monster spawns and one of the reasons my last story worked so well (baiting idiots and farming their guns then fencing it back to them on another account, basically stealing peoples poo poo and selling it right back to them).

Anyways, the reason this worked was because if you had a low alignment and went "into the red", there was NPC police that patrolled around the map in various locations that would kill you on sight. As usual, my friends and I saw this as an avenue for exploitation. We soon discovered that by standing in the way of the paths of these police with 2 or more people, you could effectively make them move in another direction. Basically we would form an L shape around the cop and steer him where we wanted him to walk. It took a fair bit of coordination (thanks Vent!) but we managed to move them pretty far off course. This by itself would be pointless, right? Wrong.... because once we discovered this, I set out to find the exact path of each cop on the map and located doors or any other obstruction I could find nearby that path.

It's important to note at this point, that the NPCs could not open doors that players can and they do not despawn ever unless the server is reset....you could guess what happens next. :)

I discovered that nearby each of the paths of the cops was atleast a door or some other corner which we could wedge them into, we then proceed to spend an hour nudging each cop into open doorways and rapidly shutting them behind them. This effectively traps the cops indefinitely, or until the server resets. We even managed to get 2 cops trapped inside one of our giant buildings and put up little signs in the window about feeding our pets.

With all the cops locked up in varying locations we now went on a killing rampage that last for 2 days before the admins figured out that the only thing to do was reset the server. At which point we simply repeated the process. They never found a way to "fix" this problem and we kept doing it until the server was eventually taken down permanently.

Shop Smart, shop S-Mart
As I mentioned above, and in my previous stories, we had purchased the 2 largest properties on the server. One of which was called S-Mart. This was a huge grocery store type location which was perfect for storage and selling of goods. We then got a brilliant idea. We set up a shop in S-Mart and sold goods to pubbies for a few days and convinced everyone that this was where we held our "stock". Of course it wasn't, we actually held most of our goods in the other building nearby, which was locked down very very tightly.

In any case, the point was, everyone thought that this was the holy grail, the stash with all our cash and pretty much the biggest "target" on the server for robbers. This is exactly what we wanted.

The entrance to the S-Mart was 2 large, clear doors and the building features very very high ceilings, this played a large role in our plan.

What we did was lock down the mart and cover the doors so nobody could see what we were doing. We then spawned doors which were the same color as the walls (which made them hard to notice) and made a little stairway so to speak all around the ceiling. This acted like a circular staircase that started just above the entryway and basically went all the way to the top of the ceiling. What this allowed us to do, was stand, out of sight of people coming into the building as we would be far above their heads, but we could still see them plain as day and there was no indication that anything was there at all, unless you just happened to look up.

It's important to note that when you enter a property, the owner can lock the doors and trap you there permanently unless he kills you or you suicide.

We then removed the blockade on the front windows and unlocked the doors, however, I was perched on the spot directly above the doors and was able to lock them from my perch as well as see people coming in. We had everyone else perched up higher on the varying platforms armed with guns.

It only took a little while before people noticed that "holy gently caress the S mart is unlocked... its loving RAID time naow!!!". We soon had a group of 4-5 guys, armed to the teeth (with guns we had sold them from our other "merchant" account) standing outside. I made sure all our guys were ready and we waited. They rushed in and sat in the entryway, as soon as the last guy was in, I locked the doors and a resounding *click* could be heard. Moments later, our entire group opened fire on them from their perches above and within seconds their entire group was slaughtered and littered weaponry all over the floor.

We laughed and stuck their guns to the wall to lure in more people... the best part about it, they had no idea where we had shot them from. So we pulled this same move on the same people dozens of times before they figured out what the hell was going on.

Welp, that's about it for GMOD stories unless I think of some other ones I missed. I'm sure we pulled off more poo poo, but none as amusing as the ones I've posted here. Hell, we'd still be griefing that server every day if it was still up, but sadly Jetboom shut it down after only a few months.

It was good while it lasted.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Both of those stories made me laugh. Good work!

IHatePancakes
Jan 29, 2009
I remember on Space Station 13, me and some other guy created a "rape room." There is a room on the station that holds siphons, basically big air suckers to suck out bad stuff in the air. We shut off air flow to the room, kill the lights, the alarms, and bolt one of the two doors down. Then we turn all the siphons on. The room quickly becomes airless, and the other guy had about 10 bodies in there by the end of the game.

This next story isn't griefing, but funny. Also in the same siphons room, I tunneled into the engine and built a secret door. For those not in the know, the engine has fire in it. Very hot fire. I was a traitor that round, and Melons walked by and saw me. He begins to wall off the area, and about 15 minutes of fighting his walls, I get out. I open my secret door, and flood the station with superhot engine fire. I kill a handful of people and escape into the escape shuttle hallway. My goal that round was to escape with a bomb, which I had stolen from some other toxins tech earlier. I would have won the round, but I didn't make it to the escape shuttle in time, as I felt it necessary to kill the only other guy with me while shouting "THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!" Goddamn I love SS13.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good

Grundma posted:

xxskull12 story :words:

That is the most amazing loving poo poo ever. I haven't played CS:S in a few months...what the hell is this dynamic pricing thing?

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Tostito posted:

That is the most amazing loving poo poo ever. I haven't played CS:S in a few months...what the hell is this dynamic pricing thing?

Something Valve did and later retracted after it failed horribly because everyone uses Deagles and the price shot well past 16000, as well as the previously mentioned story.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tostito posted:

The more players buy a weapon, the more it's "supply" does down and "demand" goes up thus it costs more, so logically it would be the most fun to have this occur within the game as well, so that the weaker players can't afford to use popular weapons.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

coyo7e posted:

The more players buy a weapon, the more it's "supply" does down and "demand" goes up thus it costs more, so logically it would be the most fun to have this occur within the game as well, so that the weaker players can't afford to use popular weapons.

It encourages people to include some variety in the weapons and items they use and that made people very mad because that means they can't use the deagle.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Spiffo posted:

It encourages people to include some variety in the weapons and items they use and that made people very mad because that means they can't use the deagle.
It punishes stragglers and weaker players by removing some of their better options and leaving them with sub-par weaponry, which increases the disparity between haves and have-nots. Do you believe in anarchic Communism or any other utopian ideals as well? :laugh:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Spiffo posted:

Pretty sure making multiple weapons that aren't garbage is actually what encourages variety in gear, wups no lets shoehorn in a poorly conceived supply/demand system with no testing

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

coyo7e posted:

It punishes stragglers and weaker players by removing some of their better options and leaving them with sub-par weaponry, which increases the disparity between haves and have-nots.
To be fair, CS's weapon-buying system always had this problem. It was exacerbated by a truly nasty difficulty curve and the capability of experts to mow newbies down in a fraction of a second. And forcing the "haves" to waste $16,000 on a secondary weapon they'll rarely actually use seems like it'd be a leveling influence (although depriving the newbies of the deagle, one of the most fun guns in the game, is a shame).

So it sounds like an interesting experiment; shame it didn't work out.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 30, 2009

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.

I Love You! posted:

Pretty sure making multiple weapons that aren't garbage is actually what encourages variety in gear, wups no lets shoehorn in a poorly conceived supply/demand system with no testing

I remember hearing about the fluctuating price idea but never saw it implemented. I'm pretty sure I didn't play CS at all in the month or less it was actually used.
While it's a bad idea in general, especially if it's mandatory on pubs, I do at least like the idea of not having every single loving player go AK/M4/DEAGLE/AWP gently caress YEAH I'M PRO every single goddamn round.

Personally I always took pleasure(and still do) in buying a lovely gimmicky gun like the ump or pump shotgun and killing some ADD-stricken 16 year old Mt. Dew junkie who takes the game way too seriously. Heaven forbid some players actually use a weapon outside of the big 4, that's just asking way too much.

The complaints about the buying system seem out of place to me as well. It used to be games rewarded good players for playing well, not handicapping them. If your team is getting stomped and you can't afford good weapons then man the gently caress up and start winning rounds. Same thing with Quake Live's "matchmaking" system. If someone is stomping your rear end left and right then do what players used to do and just deal with it or leave instead of whining. No, I'm not trying to come off as some hard motherfucker, I just think the recent idea in game design that "everything must be balanced perfect!" is a bit unrealistic.

Paperfeed
Apr 14, 2008
I've been playing Synergy (a mod that enables multiplayer co-op for HL2 and has some stock maps) and have been hosting a simple listen server each time.

Today we were playing a map where the objective is to use a bunch a cranes, that are positioned above each other with platforms in between, to take up the players and the airboat. To do this you pickup one of those containers and you slowly try to maneuver them toward the next platform. Doing it too quickly will gib the players inside the container. Anyway, everyone except the crane operators can't really do much besides stand around and look at how the crane operators are doing.

Being bored I thought to spice things up a bit and, from the platform I was watching from, spawned an antlion guard INSIDE the container that was at that moment full with players. What followed was the funniest thing I had seen all day, the antlion guard punted every single player out of the container sending each of them into a different direction over the horizon! The antlion guard has singlehandedly reset all the progress everyone has made with a swift punt! It was marvelous.. The crane operator that had also been taunting his 'superior' crane operating skills earlier did not like this and after some yelling on voicechat ragequitted.

After that I proceeded to spawn a bunch of city scanners that went on to flash everyone that respawned all the way down again with an annoying bright white, spawned some more antlion guards, watched the chaos for awhile and then removed the magnets from the cranes which, unfortunately, crashed the server.

The best thing was they never knew who did it. They kept talking about some phantom hacker whom was using 'some sort of spawnhack'. Also my little brother who I had given admin privileges was in on it as well and proceeded to spawn a zombine behind me (by accident) which punched me off the platform I was watching from making me fall towards a bloody death. I guess that was karma biting me in the rear end! Not that I actually minded though.

It was funny at the moment at least v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q-tank
Jan 29, 2009

Cat Murderer
The new left for dead survival mode is a griefer's wet dream. I've only been on there for a few games, but the potential is endless. I spent the first few rounds Shooting fuel cans and methane tanks that my team members carefully laid out. The greatest part is, its nearly impossible to tell who fired the shot. The mic-emo-rage is awesome. It gets even better when they get burned from their own traps. Sometimes I could get the whole team down to half health or less before the round even starts!

Ofcourse there are a lot of medpacks, so you have to get them nice and hurt and call the zombies as soon as you can. My favorite method so far is to get them all burning when they crowd into a small room, wait a bit until they start to heal, throw some more gas in and light it, then call for help. by the time the fire is out, they are neck deep it zombie fun and fresh out of health!

Even more entertaining is just watching people die and not helping. the rage is beautiful. It was fun in normal mode, but its even better now that the flood of zombies is virtually never ending. every five seconds some one gets knocked down!

The lighthouse is by far the best - especially when people get pulled off the roof by smokers. One round when this kept happening, I just watched from the top as the guy was pulled down and killed before my eyes. At about 25% health he starts yelling on the mic at me to help him. I named myself "I punch babies," so the guy starts yelling some nonsense about punching infants. sick gently caress. I grabbed the nearest gas can I started to run over to him to give him a good dousing, but a hunter got me on the way and the round was lost.

I've decided to play the game a new way - fastest loss. My goal is to kill all my team members in under a minute. Or try it on hard mode - where you try to sabotage them without them knowing - breaking the doors off, opening the windows, sniping their gascans/methane tanks, etc.

Losing has never been so fun.

Edit: My new favorite thing to do is see how fast I can use all the supplies up - toss all the molotoves, bombs, shoot all the gas cans, and then break all the doors and windows open.
edit: poo poo spelling/grammar.

Q-tank fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 1, 2009

• Locked thread