Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

coyo7e posted:

The more players buy a weapon, the more it's "supply" does down and "demand" goes up thus it costs more, so logically it would be the most fun to have this occur within the game as well, so that the weaker players can't afford to use popular weapons.

It was especially retarded because it tracked the buy stats from ALL servers, including ones where DWP was not in effect. Since everyone hated DWP, it was only enabled on a few servers, so there wasn't a real economy, and the best guns were impossible to purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Really the worst thing that dynamic pricing did wasnt making the good guns expensive, it was that they had armor affected by it as well. Since in CS everyone buys kevlar and a helmet every round the price went way up. It was allright with guns since there were serviceable alternatives like the galil or the famas, but since there arent 18 different kinds of armor it was dumb to have its price be affected

Still, no matter how annoying it was I'll always remember it fondly. I found another one of my screenshots from when we would glock bomb servers

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising
I remember doing glock spams, but the best part was after you made a huge pile of them, you threw a grenade right into the thick of it. Often it crashed the server, or at least froze it for a few minutes till everyone left, or half the server disconnected because their computers died.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Spirit Tree posted:

I remember doing glock spams, but the best part was after you made a huge pile of them, you threw a grenade right into the thick of it. Often it crashed the server, or at least froze it for a few minutes till everyone left, or half the server disconnected because their computers died.

That's hilarious. Kind of reminds me of a weak attempt at spamming I did in gmod - piling a ton of watermelons on top of a big pile of dynamite. Nearly crashed the server I was on, lagged the gently caress out of it for a while anyway. Plain old dynamite spam is boring and unimaginative; I'd rather take the server out in a hail of watermelon gibs.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
I recall going to a terrible 32player Instarespawn Orange_X tf2 server.

Of course, the administrators were humorless powertripping bastards, but I felt the need to grief. However, due to the fact they would probably permaban me within 5 seconds of any obvious griefing, I decided to be more subtle.

So I though "What's better than ruining for the other players?" Ruining for the dickwads in charge! :haw:

Therefore, I changed my name to Captain Bonk, went scout, and started to exclusively use the baseball bat. One by one, I was convincing other people to go melee-only scout, both on my team and the other.
Soon there were 28 scouts, nearly all of who were using just the bat. The other four were admins going YOU STUPID PUBS THIS ISN'T HOW THE GAME IS PLAYED STOP loving AROUND. The delicious rage and the way everyone made fun of them was classic. They ragequit seeing as they couldn't legitimately ban anyone.

E: I have a short clip of a massive scout bat battle from that match somewhere, I'll try and find it again. The cacophony of pinging from the bats is music to my ears.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Code Jockey posted:

That's hilarious. Kind of reminds me of a weak attempt at spamming I did in gmod - piling a ton of watermelons on top of a big pile of dynamite. Nearly crashed the server I was on, lagged the gently caress out of it for a while anyway. Plain old dynamite spam is boring and unimaginative; I'd rather take the server out in a hail of watermelon gibs.

Cubes of exploding barrels are even more fun, especially because of the inevitable chain reaction. I have an advanced duplicate of a 5x5x5 exploding barrel cube as well as a 10x10x10 one; they cause massive physics lag in single player. :haw:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I know this is a little off the point, but is there any need in SS13 to identify oneself as a goon on the appropriate servers, or does it not matter?

Nannek
Apr 20, 2006

UOI

Vib Rib posted:

I know this is a little off the point, but is there any need in SS13 to identify oneself as a goon on the appropriate servers, or does it not matter?

Yeah you probably should, non-goons get treated somewhat... unfairly lets just say.

Also the SS13 thread is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3069275&pagenumber=47#pti29

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?
I don't think this counts as griefing because it was purely accidental, but I started playing SS13 today and had some interesting experiences. For instance, I now know that it is a very bad idea to weld through a wall if that wall goes directly to outer space. Fortunately, even after the AI had a lockdown and one guy died, nobody seemed to figure out it was me. Apparently putting the torch away, dropping the toolbox, and running like a scared little girl can work pretty well as far as covering your tracks goes.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The best griefs are when you focus on inducing catastrophic rage on one person. Especially this dude from EVE Online, I found this old screenshot and it brought back some good memories. Seriously just read one sentence of his bio:

I ran into him in a small, out of the way dead-end system that no one really bothers to visit. And with a bio like that, how could I not grief the ever-loving poo poo out of him!?!

If you haven't played EVE, 'pirates' might seem like another arcane MMO term but it really means just what you think: people that warp around space looking for spaceships to kill so they can take their stuff.

So this guy liked to mine asteroids and put the minerals at a storage silo in his space station. He ran multiple characters so he could mine more and keep his space station shielded and fueled. That's how he played EVE, for hours, every. day. So I made a habit of traveling over to this system in a fast, dirt-cheap ship and trying to kill his mining ships before he could bring his battleship in range. Oh he mined with his battleship too, did I mention that? But it still had drones and they hurt.

Sometimes I'd get one ship, sometimes I'd have to run, but I always destroyed the canisters he was temporarily dropping his precious space rocks and space ice into which meant 30-60 minutes of his 'work' destroyed. So he decided to fight back. One day I come in and there is a mining cruiser nicely separated which I go for, it was bait. He fitted it to hold my ship down and tank my damage until his battleship came in and finished me off. He also fitted it with guns, and all of his mining barges with combat drones which meant all of the time he spent just waiting for me to come was largely wasted as he wasn't mining as much.

So he beat me, and I lost my dirt cheap ship. I wanted take a bigger ship in the next day to give him a good whooping, but I decided that instilling hopelessness was more important than winning for a day. So I came back in an identical dirt cheap ship just to let him know that my 'lust for chaos and destruction' could never be stopped by his clever traps.

Later I told other goons about my exploits and after reading Enkindu's brilliant bio a scourge of rabid goons harassed him daily. But Enkindu doesn't give up easy in the face of 'the rot at the core of humanity' and held up in his space station which we, a bunch of newbies, were incapable of destroying. So when Goonfleet got its first dreadnaught (a moros piloted by FNLN) you know what the first thing we blew up was? That's right, Enkindu's space station. :xd:

We never saw Enkindu again. :(

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sanctum posted:

So this guy liked to mine asteroids and put the minerals at a storage silo in his space station. He ran multiple characters so he could mine more and keep his space station shielded and fueled. That's how he played EVE, for hours, every. day.

The people who play the "I have a real life outside the game" card as hard as he did? Yeah, they're always like this in reality.

quote:

So when Goonfleet got its first dreadnaught (a moros piloted by FNLN) you know what the first thing we blew up was? That's right, Enkindu's space station. :xd:

We never saw Enkindu again. :(

And they say there's no such thing as happy endings!

Hail Horror Hail
Jan 28, 2009
Haven't played any BF2 past the demo myself, but Project Reality must to be the easiest thing to grief on earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piHkbY3aw14

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of EVE stories, I recently started playing again and joined up with the Goons.

First thing I did was some scamming. a couple of morons later and I have about 500 million Space Moneys (almost enough to pay for my account for another 60 days, so around $35 worth). Then I saw someone advertising their corp and wanting an alliance. I send them a message thinking "eh, he cant be that dumb" and within an hour of chatting or so, I have the bastard, and it seems, his entire corp. The leader of the corp seems incredibly trusting, unlike his second in command. The whole corp is a tight knit group though, all of them great friends and all know each other well, some in real life.

So I start off getting a 1 Billion Space Moneys "Security Deposit" from his corporation (space guild), then offer free shipping down to our space. For those who dont know getting to Goonspace from Empire (Safe space) is pretty dangerous, especially for newbies. after a day or two I have managed to steal their POS (worth about 500 million) 4 members of their corps entire possessions, the Corps entire hanger bay (which was mostly just ammo) and all of their ships. I regret that I pulled out of the scam before I got everyone's stuff, but one of them was catching on. In the end I got away with almost 2.5 Billion space money, most of which was given away to Goons.

Then a week later the guy who was catching on sent me a message I'll sum up below:

Space Moron posted:

Hello, allow me to take this moment to say we are not perturbed by what you have done, we do not apperciate the trust between us being violated and we will ensure that the other members of Goonfleet learn what you have done. With that said, I wish to appeal to you, not your sense of morality or kindness, but a language you understand. Economics.

You have one week to return our items at half market price. If you do not I iwll make it my personal mission to post on every blog, website, Local channel, Corp channel and forum about you and your scam. This will massivly lower your ability to scam people I hope you understand. And this way you still make money from your scam.

By the time I received this I had already sold everything they owned.

The Corp broke up less than a week later and each member when their separate ways.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Well hey, there's no such thing as bad press. Shame the alliance broke up, seeing the guy actually carry that out would have been hilarious. The grief that keeps on griefing.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Might've been posted in the thread already, but this is still my favorite griefing video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eckoYQqdk28

I GOT BALLS OF STEEL!

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 3, 2009

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Playing, in War3, Hide the Farm or Hide the Elder elf tree by eating your way to freedom was the best way to win the game.

Also, in Everquest, equipping every single boss in the plane of hate with two summoned daggers. I did that with every single monster that could drop warrior armor because they always annoyed the gently caress out of me.

In the game, the difference of damage between a monster wielding a slow weapon and a knife is insane. If you equip the monster with two knives, they output so much damage because the offhand they wield does not have reduced damage like players.

To survive that encounter, you need to debuff it's str and slow it down as much as you can PLUS healers need to stay on the ball.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 3, 2009

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I Said No posted:

Well hey, there's no such thing as bad press. Shame the alliance broke up, seeing the guy actually carry that out would have been hilarious. The grief that keeps on griefing.

I messaged him back the next day with something like "Good luck getting banned for spamming."

One more eve story. If anyone in Goonfleet here has been on an Op I've run, they know I basically run greifing ops, I gather up a group of people (usually new goons in frigs) fly head first into enemy space and piss people off as best we can. My recent most target is Period Basis, a place next to Goonspace that we're attacking.

So last time I ran one of these ops, we had a good lot of people charge in, using cloaks and well placed scouts we managed to lock down a major staging ground for one of our enemies for about 2 hours. During these two hours we made one of thier capitals sit on the space station when it should have been off fighting, scored more moneys worth of kills than our entire fleet was worth and got some wonderful angry comments, such as;

"exe owns ur shiity bs-fleet gunes"

EVE is basically made so that greifing is a viable strategy, massivly underused by anyone other than goons because of the retarded "space Bushido" that alot of the alliances drill into their members. This makes every little thing you do 10x more effective at pissing people off, its glorious.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

My own story really isn't griefing, but most players take it as such (though you might call it geifing :haw: ) since they consider it cheap, even though its a common strategy among tournament players.

I play HD Remix of SSF2T a lot, and am pretty drat good at tick throws. For those that don't know, a tick throw is getting your opponent into hit or block stun, then immediately throwing them. This is the main strategy for any Zangief player. Throw out a quick jab, immediate Spinning Piledriver. Jump in with some air attack, immediate SPD. It's delicious.

Now most players that you find online in HDR are total scrubs (especially now with SF4 out), so its so easy to get a SPD loop going. Hit them once with it, walk up and crouching jab as they're getting up, another SPD. People ragequit so quickly.

I've even had a guy send me FOUR voice messages bitching at me saying I should learn how to play the game and that he was blocking me and that my feedback is probably worse than his and that I've probably been banned once already blah blah blah.

Not my fault he plays Bison and doesn't have any sort of reversal. :v:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Orgophlax posted:

My own story really isn't griefing, but most players take it as such (though you might call it geifing :haw: ) since they consider it cheap, even though its a common strategy among tournament players.

I play HD Remix of SSF2T a lot, and am pretty drat good at tick throws. For those that don't know, a tick throw is getting your opponent into hit or block stun, then immediately throwing them. This is the main strategy for any Zangief player. Throw out a quick jab, immediate Spinning Piledriver. Jump in with some air attack, immediate SPD. It's delicious.

Now most players that you find online in HDR are total scrubs (especially now with SF4 out), so its so easy to get a SPD loop going. Hit them once with it, walk up and crouching jab as they're getting up, another SPD. People ragequit so quickly.

I've even had a guy send me FOUR voice messages bitching at me saying I should learn how to play the game and that he was blocking me and that my feedback is probably worse than his and that I've probably been banned once already blah blah blah.

Not my fault he plays Bison and doesn't have any sort of reversal. :v:

Probably the easiest way to "grief" like that in SF IV, play Zangief, and spam all three punches or kicks for the Double Lariat. Even DECENT players can still kick your rear end, but you can still find retards that just sit there and take it, and then they are the entertaining one's that'll message you a bunch right after.

The double lariat is a spinning move where you hold your fists out and will move through projectiles so it often pisses off a lot of shoto(Ken/Ryu/Gouken/Akuma) players that just spam the poo poo out of fireball. If they are any good at all, they can still hit you out of it and punish you, but you'd be surprised how many easy wins it is.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Orgophlax posted:

Yeah, I main Dhalsim on HDR, and tick-throwing is a pretty large part of his strategy too (except against you drat command throwers :mad: ), especially against people who show they can't defend against it. It's hilarious how much grief you can cause just by being better than awful at a 16 year old fighting game.

I'm looking forward to getting hated all over again when MvC2 hits XBLA :doom:

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

ASK ME HOW I HAVE CRYING MELTDOWNS ABOUT BEING A GAY FURRY. PS, I'M 16 YEARS OLD

Enallyniv posted:

heh, im goku.

Hoooly poo poo, I remember G0KU, the first time I saw him he was holding a monkey next to an airlock, with a quick "heh, im goku", he leaped out of the station still holding the monkey. A while later in the medbay he comes up behind me and I flip the gently caress out. Soon enough a chick with a backpack rushes in demanding hugs, so we all give her hugs, and she sets off two 500 degree bombs ( I had taken them from her and I promptly blew up ), thus ending the second most awesome SS13 round I have ever played.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The definitive way to piss people off in HD Remix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6KUuA4beJo

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

ASK ME HOW I HAVE CRYING MELTDOWNS ABOUT BEING A GAY FURRY. PS, I'M 16 YEARS OLD

Cat Machine posted:

Oh jesus christ.

"I AM THE TAG MASTER BITCH"

Horse Pro
Mar 25, 2007

Social Activist, Philanthropist, Youtube Extraordinaire

Cat Machine posted:

I was a little confused by this at first, but it all came together at the end.

Nice one.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The entire playlist is pretty good for griefing vids:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6193B7371E750199

Nannek
Apr 20, 2006

UOI

Aerobic Robot posted:

Hoooly poo poo, I remember G0KU, the first time I saw him he was holding a monkey next to an airlock, with a quick "heh, im goku", he leaped out of the station still holding the monkey. A while later in the medbay he comes up behind me and I flip the gently caress out. Soon enough a chick with a backpack rushes in demanding hugs, so we all give her hugs, and she sets off two 500 degree bombs ( I had taken them from her and I promptly blew up ), thus ending the second most awesome SS13 round I have ever played.

What is the first?

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

Nannek posted:

What is the first?

Well, it was about the third round I had ever played SS13, after a popular vote, everyone decided on meteor, I had no idea what that was, but I used my noggin and figured out that it probably had to do with a meteor shower. I had signed up as a nurse and decided to do some exploring and talk to some people. I went up the the geneticists lab and had a little convo with him, he was just doing some routine experiments on monkeys.

Suddenly, a bright flash of light burst onto the screen for a second, and when it went away, the right side of the lab was gone, and we were losing oxygen fast. We quickly went through the morgue, nearly getting blown up by a giant meteor that hit the chapel. we ran down the left side of the medbay, dodging explosions (It was like that Mission Impossible jumping away from explosions scene, but multiple times. The geneticist (I forgot his name) was hit by a meteor and got sucked out of the station, leaving me alone, running towards the docking bay. I finally get there, the power was almost completely out, and I was in pretty bad condition (burns, lack of oxygen). All I had to do was wait.

Two other people came, bringing flashlights. About 1 minute before the pod would come, one other person came, he was badly burned and was on the verge of death, he was almost there when one last meteor hit where he was, completely obliterating him. We were trapped in the docking bay, running out of oxygen. Finally the pod arrived, along with ANOTHER METEOR which blew me into the pod, fainted. I escaped, luckily, along with one other person (the other one was sucked out in the explosion that blew me in the pod).

And that's how I fell in love with SS13.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Aerobic Robot posted:

And that's how I fell in love with SS13.

This is incredible.

I played my first real round of SS13 last night with two friends. Two of us accidentally started beating eachother with toolboxes and crowbars, but were broken up and the other one was sent to jail, as the security guard only saw him hit me. They did forensic tests on me and found that I had two bloody instruments on my person. At about this time, the third of us ran into Medbay, screaming about how he needed to get back to Texas. I didn't see this as I was in the brig, but they didn't take my radio so I was able to hear the head of security speak to the captain. It went something like this:

Head of Security: we've got a crazy one in here.
Captain: What?
HoS: I think that Bicycle guy has amnesia- he thinks he's on Earth.
Captain: Nonsense, Earth was destroyed twenty years ago!

When I heard that, we immediately had a plan. I started calling out from the brig for my dad, and asking my security guard if they had an amnesiac man on board (the guard didn't know I had a radio, or that I was talking to my two friends on ventrilo).

The guard radioed it in and guards escorted him over. I said "D..Dad?" and we had a heartfelt discussion. At this point everyone left to have a trial over the fight my friend and I had had before, and no one was paying attention to us anymore, so we both wrote suicide notes and killed ourselves on either side of the prison door. We had a whole story plotted out about how we were both in cryo-freeze since before Earth was destroyed, but everyone stopped paying attention to us so we never got to explore it further.

This game is potentially amazing.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I'm not a pro-griefer, but I do make me some people mad at Left 4 Dead.

Game over, man

In Left 4 Dead, all the characters have a ton of dialogue, and most of it can be bound to a key if you know its filename or what the game internally addresses it as. This can be used for legitimate purposes, but more often than not, it's used to have your characters say horribly out-of-context lines ("If we can get to the river, we can find a boat!") whenever you want. The best one is probably Zoey, whose "Game over man, game over!" line is hilariously bad, useful for many purposes, and is apparently capable making someone completely and utterly crack, which I did to someone last night. Not just your standard raging, I mean complete and utter futile, infantile, impotent screaming in anger because of Zoey's "Game over man!" vocal, which is bound to my mouse5 button for easy and efficient griefing.

When I play as Zoey, I use it sparingly, usually after murdering the entire infected team in a short period of time, or downing a tank, or something. After we killed a tank on Death Toll 1, the first "GAME OVER MAN" came out. Within seconds, the future victim of Zalgoan insanity spouts "Ugh, would you turn that bind off?" Not knowing alltalk is on, he starts talking poo poo about Zoey over voice chat and how annoying she is. He didn't say the magic word, though, so on Death Toll 2, I slightly ramped up my frequency of Game-Overing to include killing any special infected at all. "Holy loving poo poo Zoey is pissing me off" was the result, among many other things. It's at this point that I notice almost every special infected that gets killed by me is that guy, leading me to believe that at this point, he has started targeting me exclusively.

In Death Toll 3, my suspicion is confirmed - over the mic, he states that he's only going after Zoey, and encourages his other teammates to do the same. I'm a wily Zoey though, so this only led to me killing more of them in higher frequency, resulting in even more game-overing. He's utterly freaking out at this point, most of which is fuzzy to me now since my whole team was laughing too hard to get the specifics. They managed to get a tank on this map though, and his sole hit was on me. The victim of the game-overing practically had an orgasm at this.

By Death Toll 4, I'd dropped any pretense of what I was doing and was just mashing the button as frequently as the spam would allow, occasionally interspersing Zoey's death scream and "Yeah, yeah I'm ready to bounce!" just for good measure. He says over the mic that he can't take it anymore and that he was muting the game sound (note: this never ever happens). Eventually I just bind mouse 5 to also say "game over man" in text chat as well as use the vocal bind, not that he ever muted the sound since we still heard him screaming in agony after his threat.

Death Toll 5 had our team decide to hide under the docks, just to be as cheesy and annoying to kill as possible. "Come on, someone has to kill that Zoey bitch!" he cried out as a last ditch effort to rally support to his cause, which turned out to be a futile one since all four of us survived, with much game-overing to be had in the process.

At this point, he falls completely silent, as there were probably no words for him to express his rage at this point. The best part though is that he got Zoey as survivor, and apparently to counter-grief me, was hitting X and Z over and over, trying to spam Zoey's helpful contextual voice commands. He was also running backwards and crouchwalking half the time. At this point we give up the secret of the server being alltalk the whole time, and my entire team begins to yell "game over man" over the ingame mic. Mister "HOLY gently caress I HAVE TO KILL ZOEY" tries to play it off, saying that it's FUNNY when we do it. However, by this point, his spirit is utterly broken, and his team falls in short order to the mighty hunter squads of our team.

I got the killing blow on him, too. Game over, man.

Novasol fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 29, 2014

MelonDude
Oct 7, 2004

help I am knocked out by that faggot traitor his name is GEORGE MELONS
More Space Station 13 Stories!

Santa Melons

Santa Melons was a fun little thing. I dressed up in a santa suit and ran around with my big bag of gifts. I found people, watched them a bit, then decided whether to give them something good or something bad. Sometimes at random. Good little boys got injectors that turned them into hulks, gave them x-ray eyes, maybe a revolver or a bomb! Bad little boys got injectors that made them get epilepsy, blindness, or one of the other many horrible genetic diseases.

People who refused to take their gifts were promptly beaten and forced to take their gift, whether they were bad or good. Also I injected some people with acid and forced others to drink cyanide filled beer.

Reverend Melons

One day I looked upon the station and saw that it was unholy. These heathens did not respect the Allfather. I held a service. With a beer in one hand and a stun baton in the other, I preached to these fools. Those who prayed correctly earned a drink of the holy beer. Those who prayed incorrectly were promptly beaten to death. I was a blood soaked monster and the faithful applauded me for it. By the end anyone less than fully committed was killed and eaten by the ravenous hoard of the faithful.

Killing people in the most indirect ways possible

Death is an interesting thing. You can go kill someone. Fine. To be responsible for their death and have them be furious as hell at the wrong person? Now that is what I call fun. Dressing up as someone then attacking someone else is a classic maneuver. Still, if you really want to sell it what you need to do is set the radio intercoms to have their mics on but their speakers off, and set it to a new frequency. Listen in from a distance, hear a convo between some people. You're going to find some people a bit mad at each other. Dress up like one of the people, use a voice changer to sound like the other guy, then move in for the attack. Leave before it gets too serious, and when that guy wakes up you can be sure he'll kill or be killed by the real person.

Another thing is theft. You can go around killing people, or you can steal every gasmask you can get your hands on. Suddenly people are scrambling trying to find one, and end up actually attacking other lucky fellows. As a good security officer, you arrest this fool for attacking someone. Then take the gas mask and throw it into space along with both of them. Stealing all the crowbars on the station is easy, same with stealing all the welders. Basically, if you're given a choice you should steal all of one particular item that is usually found everywhere. It cripples the entire station and you can be sure that people will die due to your mischief.

Steal all of eva and suddenly you're the only person who can go into space. Steal most, or all, of security and you'll be the most heavily armed. It's all about control. If you take out genetics, suddenly nobody can be revived. Take out the heads and seal off the bridge, bam you're the only one with access to everything.

Clown Melons

I guess this is the last story for now. Simple one. I was the clown this round. Clowns are clumsy, so they frequently stumble and fall down. During the round I actually ended up killing someone despite this. Knocking them out and slowly beating them to death in between falls was quite exhausting. Anyway, later I decided to say gently caress it. I sealed off a part of storage, added some remote doors, and brought some monkeys to me. Add in some blob, some beer, and you've got a big top! Ringleader Melons opens the gates and the pubbies flood in, furious at me for sealing off a small section of the station. They get so mad! Then meteors came and killed a couple of them, the Zybourne Clock was returned to Johnny Fiveaces and Scholty, and I... forget what happened to me, actually. I think I caught on fire somewhere and died.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

MelonDude posted:

Reverend Melons

One day I looked upon the station and saw that it was unholy. These heathens did not respect the Allfather. I held a service. With a beer in one hand and a stun baton in the other, I preached to these fools. Those who prayed correctly earned a drink of the holy beer. Those who prayed incorrectly were promptly beaten to death. I was a blood soaked monster and the faithful applauded me for it. By the end anyone less than fully committed was killed and eaten by the ravenous hoard of the faithful.
This is hilarious. Can you actually cannibalize the other crew members?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Novasol posted:

I'm not that good at telling these stories, but I do have more if people are interested, such as Operation: No Gas Can Left Behind and My Heart Will Go On.

Everyone with stories to share: stop asking. We want to hear them, that's why we read the thread. Sheesh!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
I enjoy general causing trouble on Gmod RP servers, nothing to type about.

Are there any active goon griefing groups? Everything seems to have died down a bit.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 4, 2009

Zero000
Mar 8, 2008

Woof.

MelonDude posted:

More Space Station 13 Stories!

I want admin powers :colbert:

And I guess I'll put this here. Operation Monkey Freedom

I don't know how to make bombs yet, but that is on the to-do list. It'll make the job much easier instead of clicking on the windows constantly.

Zero000 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 4, 2009

The_Flasherman
Jan 16, 2009

Novasol posted:

In Left 4 Dead, all the characters have a ton of dialogue, and most of it can be bound to a key if you know its filename or what the game internally addresses it as.

After being inspired by your tale to bind some keys of my own (I belong to a group of people who play L4D almost religiously, and we always try to find new and fun ways of griefing each other) I had a huge issue with binding anything that wasn't a generic comment - for example, "Witch!" was okay, but Francis exclaiming that he doesn't like vampires wasn't. I'd love to know exactly how you got around this, so that I might grief to my hearts content.

pitrdevries
Feb 19, 2009
Fun with "I'm In With Like You"
(https://www.iminlikewithyou.com/)

That website has a number of generic flash-based games, like Bubble Bobble and Tetris knockoffs, that have multiplayer capability.

Anyhoo, there is one game, called 'Draw My Thing,' in which you try and symbollically reprsent a word. Like pictionary, et cetera.

A friend and I both logged onto a competitive server; these guys wre all about getting points or some pointless poo poo like that. Since we were next to each other, we knew the others word, and therefore griefed the poo poo out of the other people by drawing things that had nothing to do at ALL with the word. As a bonus, we would fake guess things that sounded semi-reasonable, pretending that the false drawing was legit, trying to string the other players along. At the last second, one of us would guess the correct word.

Other people:
"WTF"
"Howd u guess?"
"OMG that didn't look like it at all"
et cetera

Then, finally, we wouldn't draw anything at all when it was our turn. Then, out of nowhere, the other player would guess the correct word. The rage was starting to build up at that time.

Then, we started accusing the other players of cheating, and having absolutely no artistic talent. Things like, "You're drawing pencil lines with dicks, and I'm doin' the Sistine Chapel over here! LEARN TO DRAW!"

And that did it. Full blown yelling, and then everyone ragequit. Good times.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

The_Flasherman posted:

After being inspired by your tale to bind some keys of my own (I belong to a group of people who play L4D almost religiously, and we always try to find new and fun ways of griefing each other) I had a huge issue with binding anything that wasn't a generic comment - for example, "Witch!" was okay, but Francis exclaiming that he doesn't like vampires wasn't. I'd love to know exactly how you got around this, so that I might grief to my hearts content.

Once you get past the generic comments, it gets more complicated - you have to know what the game internally addresses the comment as. Most of these are "concept blocks," and there are hundreds of them, but others have names specific to certain maps (though you can use them anywhere). For example, Zoey's "Game over, man!" is conceptblock647. You'll want to bind them to keys, too. For instance, to put that on mouse5, I opened the console and typed:

bind mouse5 "vocalize conceptblock647"

You're probably going to want more than that though, which is why I recommend using the game's autoexec.cfg file to store your binds so that you have a handy list. Unfortunately, Francis has a lot of vampire lines, and certain vocals can trigger multiple responses. For instance, ConceptBlock009 can trigger "Listen candypants, we can MAKE you open that goddamn door," or "Let's see, I'm Francis, here's Grampa Bill, and THERE'S ZOMBIES OUT HERE OPEN THE GODDAMN DOOR," and there's no way to control which one you get when you press the button.

http://forums.gamespace.net.au/showthread.php?t=21777 is a nice short list of different vocalize commands. Some of them will trigger dialogue from other characters, which is actually a fun way to make someone think his game is broken. The best one I've found like this is Bill's "Jesus..." comment (vocalize riversideisdeadb), which is very quiet and pretty much impossible to hear with any noise going on. This has a 100% chance of forcing Louis to say "If we can get to the river, we can find a boat."

That Francis bind reminds me though...

Did you see me escaping? I was all "WOOB WOOB WOOB WOOB WOOB"

Certain vocalize binds are hilariously glitched. The above-mentioned "Listen candypants..." bind had a very peculiar trait to it - in Death Toll 3, it would summon a gigantic horde of zombies. The reason for this is that this particular concept block occurs in game on this map, at the very end. Specifically, it's the trigger for an event that spawns tons of zombies that you have to kill before the safe room door opens up. This works because the area that this happens in is reasonably well fortified, whereas most of the rest of the level is wide, open space. At the time, the game couldn't tell the difference between the conceptblock being triggered by trying to open the safe room door, and some jackass simply binding it to a key.

I made a habit of joining Death Toll expert campaigns. On expert campaigns, single zombies do 20 damage a hit to you (out of 100 health), and slow you down so you can't really move until they're dead. People usually take their time on expert for this reason, which made it easy to grief them. My usual antics involved me running ahead of the group and hiding in a freezer that had an indestructible door, and then triggering the bugged vocalize bind. I'd be far enough away that they wouldn't hear Francis's voice, but would drat sure hear the dozens of zombies which suddenly would start pouring in through every direction of the wide-open field the map starts with. I'd then wait for a few minutes for the zombies to begin devouring my compatriots, before breaking out of the freezer and running straight for the end of the level, doing my best Doctor Zoidberg impression in the process.

The bind also had the side effect of opening the safe room door, which usually stayed closed until the horde had been killed off. Since all the zombies were in the starting area, the game wouldn't spawn any more since it had already reached its limit for the map, meaning nothing stood in my way.

This doesn't work in the versus version of the map, sadly.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Nova, is there a way to set up radial menus for that rather than having to bind every conceptblock to a key?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

Nova, is there a way to set up radial menus for that rather than having to bind every conceptblock to a key?

Yes, actually. You can go to steam/steamapps/common/left4dead/left4dead/scripts and edit RadialMenu.txt to accommodate whatever vocals you want. That will have the default radial menus in there, you can either change those, or make new radial menus. To do that, I'd just copy/paste one of the existing ones to use as a template, but change the name and the vocals it's calling on. For example, change "Orders" on the first one to "Francis" in your new copy of the radial menu). Then, you'll open the console ingame and bind the radial to a key. The format is bind key "+mouse_menu Radialnamehere"

I'm sorry if that's confusing - if it is, I'll post an example of what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Nova, I am digging the hell out of your L4D bullshit. I desperately want to toy around with some of the forced dialogue, and the bugged zombie hordes sound simply incredible.

• Locked thread