Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Novasol posted:

Yes, actually. You can go to steam/steamapps/common/left4dead/left4dead/scripts and edit RadialMenu.txt to accommodate whatever vocals you want. That will have the default radial menus in there, you can either change those, or make new radial menus. To do that, I'd just copy/paste one of the existing ones to use as a template, but change the name and the vocals it's calling on. For example, change "Orders" on the first one to "Francis" in your new copy of the radial menu). Then, you'll open the console ingame and bind the radial to a key. The format is bind key "+mouse_menu Radialnamehere"

I'm sorry if that's confusing - if it is, I'll post an example of what I mean.

Nah, made perfect sense. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
It turns out most of the guys at The Escapist are crybabies.

This is great. All but one of them talk about it like it's date rape. After finals I'm putting in Halo 3 again and hitting the MLG playlists :dance:

wise old hitachi
Apr 12, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Novasol posted:

This doesn't work in the versus version of the map, sadly.

Does it still work in campaign, and are people aware of it? It sounds fun.

The_Flasherman
Jan 16, 2009

Novasol posted:

Once you get past the generic comments, it gets more complicated - you have to know what the game internally addresses the comment as. Most of these are "concept blocks," and there are hundreds of them, but others have names specific to certain maps (though you can use them anywhere).

You, sir, are a star. :) Thanks for that.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

Now most players that you find online in HDR are total scrubs (especially now with SF4 out), so its so easy to get a SPD loop going. Hit them once with it, walk up and crouching jab as they're getting up, another SPD. People ragequit so quickly.

I'm too much of a scrub myself to do this reliably, but Dhalsim's is better anyway (and lasts longer since it does less damage).

As most people here probably know, Dhalsim has a grab which every middle-schooler in the world independently named "Yoga Noogie," in which he gives you a noogie while shouting "YOGA YOGA YOGA YOGA" (to make matters worse, that word goes with virtually every move).

There's a really simple infinite loop that sufficiently crappy players can't get out of. And since this throw doesn't put you on the ground like SPD you don't have to wait for them to get up. This is important because the sound effects barely pause. Therefore, a well-executed round creates the most infuriating sound in the English language:

"YOGA YOGA YOGA YOGA"-whack-"YOGA YOGA YOGA YOGA"-whack-"YOGA YOGA YOGA YOGA"-whack-"YOGA YOGA YOGA YOGA"-death scream-"YOU WIN"

McNerd fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 5, 2009

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

wise old hitachi posted:

Does it still work in campaign, and are people aware of it? It sounds fun.

I haven't tried it since the big content patch. It's on my to-do list, though. Of all the times I used it on random strangers, nobody knew what it was. I was really hoping it would be left in the versus map, but alas, it wasn't.

Every survivor has a trigger for it though, but the blocks are different. Bill's is fun to randomly confuse people with: "Son, we're tired, we're immune, and there's infected in the drat woods! Now cut out the poo poo and let us in!"

Two more L4D stories, starting with...

Operation: No Gas Can Left Behind

Crouchwalking in Left 4 Dead does a few things. It obviously makes you slow as hell, but it also makes your guns more accurate, and removes your "aura" as long as you're not shooting. Infected teams rely on this aura to find you from far away, so if you have, say, an entire team of assholes just crouchwalking the whole map, they become simultaneously hard to kill and extremely annoying because they'll take 30 minutes to complete any given stage.

So what does that have to do with the title of this one? Well, Blood Harvest 4 has a lot of expendable items, such as gas cans, propane tanks, and oxygen tanks. All these objects explode when shot, and the gas can spreads lots of fire. The key word here is expendable - nobody really cares about these things.

On this particular griefing day, we decided to take it upon ourselves to save as many of these poor, under appreciated tools from Blood Harvest 4 as possible, with the stated goal of transporting every single one of them to the safe room. In doing so, we decided we were going to be very deliberate about it, and crouchwalk during the entire time. Since four survivors means you can only carry four of these items at once, we would actually deposit these items in the safe room and turn around to find more in the level.

At one point, a tank came. We had to break the gimmick of crouchwalking, as well as sacrifice a gas can in order to set the thing on fire. We still prized the expendables more than each other though, often saving a dropped gas can before bailing out a teammate. Losing the gas can warranted a team singalong to Elton John's "Candle in the Wind," much to the chagrin of the enemy team, who was, of course, screaming at us to hurry the hell up, but not actually leaving since they got more time to play as their precious zombies this way. When asked why the hell we were doing this, we replied that in the event of a Mad Max scenario of resource scarcity, we weren't going to find ourselves at the mercy of roving gangs.

We managed to get three gas cans and two propane tanks to the safe room. When the other team's turn came to be survivors, one pubbie had apparently seen the immense wisdom of our ways, and began to join in on the activity. In deference to his superior judgement, we allowed him to be the sole survivor of his team.

My Heart Will Go On

People get mad when they don't get to play as the zombies, so an easy way to grief is to get a commanding lead going into the finale, followed by team suicide. While any idiot can throw himself off the cliff in Blood Harvest 5, it takes a special brand of rear end in a top hat to kill one team member in the safe room, and then proceed to lead a group singalong of Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" in memorial. We refused to leave until the song was finished, and every time the enemy team screamed at us to leave the room, we started the song over. One foreign member of the other team repeatedly called us "fat american pigdogs" despite two of us obviously being British.

Eventually, we finished the song, and then flung ourselves off the cliff, meaning these people waited about 10 minutes, only to never really get to play as their precious zombies. Cue four ragequits.

The most shocking thing about this though is that I apparently knew the words to "My Heart Will Go On," which is extremely frightening.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Operation: No Gas Can Left Behind was good, but oh man My Heart Will Go On is amazing. Having to listen to the sheer cacophony of fourthree random people singing Celine Dion over VOIP, hopelessly out of sync and out of key, only to end without the reward of being able to play Infected. :lol:

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Ledneh posted:

Operation: No Gas Can Left Behind was good, but oh man My Heart Will Go On is amazing. Having to listen to the sheer cacophony of fourthree random people singing Celine Dion over VOIP, hopelessly out of sync and out of key, only to end without the reward of being able to play Infected. :lol:

Four. The dead guy sang along too :colbert:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Orgophlax posted:

Might've been posted in the thread already, but this is still my favorite griefing video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eckoYQqdk28

I GOT BALLS OF STEEL!
What the gently caress, Kontraband branded the ventriloharassment guy's videos? That's almost as weak as the dude who stole the "spiders on drugs" video and sold it to ebaumsworld. :(

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Novasol posted:

Certain vocalize binds are hilariously glitched. The above-mentioned "Listen candypants..." bind had a very peculiar trait to it - in Death Toll 3, it would summon a gigantic horde of zombies. The reason for this is that this particular concept block occurs in game on this map, at the very end. Specifically, it's the trigger for an event that spawns tons of zombies that you have to kill before the safe room door opens up. This works because the area that this happens in is reasonably well fortified, whereas most of the rest of the level is wide, open space. At the time, the game couldn't tell the difference between the conceptblock being triggered by trying to open the safe room door, and some jackass simply binding it to a key.

I made a habit of joining Death Toll expert campaigns. On expert campaigns, single zombies do 20 damage a hit to you (out of 100 health), and slow you down so you can't really move until they're dead. People usually take their time on expert for this reason, which made it easy to grief them. My usual antics involved me running ahead of the group and hiding in a freezer that had an indestructible door, and then triggering the bugged vocalize bind. I'd be far enough away that they wouldn't hear Francis's voice, but would drat sure hear the dozens of zombies which suddenly would start pouring in through every direction of the wide-open field the map starts with. I'd then wait for a few minutes for the zombies to begin devouring my compatriots, before breaking out of the freezer and running straight for the end of the level, doing my best Doctor Zoidberg impression in the process.

The bind also had the side effect of opening the safe room door, which usually stayed closed until the horde had been killed off. Since all the zombies were in the starting area, the game wouldn't spawn any more since it had already reached its limit for the map, meaning nothing stood in my way.

This doesn't work in the versus version of the map, sadly.

I just tried this again in single player and it seems they stealth patched it. :(

Sometimes I used to just confuse people with that glitch. I'd start the phrase, but cancel it out by laughing so they wouldn't catch on. Then I'd wait for them to reach the end.

Me: Alright guys, what's our strategy?
Pubbie: Let's camp near the ammo table I guess.
Me: Ok, you go set it off.
Pubbie: WHY THE gently caress IS THE DOOR OPEN?!
Me: I'm pretty sure that's a server glitch that happens once in a while. Let's just get in.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Orgophlax posted:

Might've been posted in the thread already, but this is still my favorite griefing video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eckoYQqdk28

I GOT BALLS OF STEEL!

As great as that video is, it really only exists for one reason.

So they could make THIS video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS-pxBxh1jY

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Lord Chumley posted:

I just tried this again in single player and it seems they stealth patched it. :(

Sometimes I used to just confuse people with that glitch. I'd start the phrase, but cancel it out by laughing so they wouldn't catch on. Then I'd wait for them to reach the end.

Me: Alright guys, what's our strategy?
Pubbie: Let's camp near the ammo table I guess.
Me: Ok, you go set it off.
Pubbie: WHY THE gently caress IS THE DOOR OPEN?!
Me: I'm pretty sure that's a server glitch that happens once in a while. Let's just get in.

That glitch led to bonus fun if you could manage to get half your team horderaped, then get into the saferoom without anyone seeing. Because virtually no-one knew that you could get in early, if you dodged inside and detonated a gascan on the floor while you climbed up the ladder, and slammed the door behind you, most people would stand around outside looking confused. You could further prolong this by hitting the voice bind again, which wouldn't summon a second horde, but would make the churchguy rant at you again, causing most pubbies to think that everything was normal. :)

My personal favourite thing to do in L4D is to use medkits to hold my teammates in place while the tank is charging after them. Bonus points if you can do it in a position where the tank's punch will make them fall to their death.

That, or waiting for someone to try and crown the witch, then handing them pills just as they fire the first shot. They'll enrage it, but then autoswitch to the pills, preventing them from finishing it off before it mauls them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RandomFerret posted:

Second video is not funny because it was so obviously faked.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What the hell are you talking about? You think the other people were actors or something?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

RandomFerret posted:

This video is hilarious in a meta sort of way. Using the recording of someone getting griefed to grief other people is brilliant.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

m2pt5 posted:

This video is hilarious in a meta sort of way. Using the recording of someone getting griefed to grief other people is brilliant.
Ventriloharassment is pretty well known for doing this, they started the "4 strength 4 stam leather belt UHHHH!!" meme that was on wow for ages.

The whole "WOW nerd" series is really hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIVTT4fgPQI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzXsS6oePd4 (NSFW audio)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks6ubQzfasQ

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

coyo7e posted:

Ventriloharassment is pretty well known for doing this, they started the "4 strength 4 stam leather belt UHHHH!!" meme that was on wow for ages.

:lol: That second one is amazing.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

KingShiro posted:

I lost it at the repeated "dudes" getting higher pitched.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

coyo7e posted:

I laughed so hard I cried on that second one.

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl

KingShiro posted:

The third video's definitely the best. I like how they recorded and incorporated new clips like halfway through the harassment. That's always fun.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pfhreak posted:

I laughed so hard I cried on that second one.
There's an entire website, they're mostly just as funny.
http://www.ventriloharassment.org/81-90.htm

It was probably even posted in this thread earlier. v:)v

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Bovineicide posted:

It turns out most of the guys at The Escapist are crybabies.

This is great. All but one of them talk about it like it's date rape.

No kidding! They start by reliving their grief times--all slow and uncertain, not wanting to relive the pain. Then they tell each other that griefing can be a positive social experience, and it doesn't have to hurt they way it does when it happened to them.

It's like a goddamn twelve step program.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Therefore, I changed my name to Captain Bonk, went scout, and started to exclusively use the baseball bat. One by one, I was convincing other people to go melee-only scout, both on my team and the other.

I did something similair on a MOH:AA server, but with Teamkilling. When I came back 3 days later, everyone on the server was still teamkilling everyone else.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Oh God, the L4D speech stuff sounds hilarious. I wish there was a way to do it on the 360 version, but alas all I can do is go as Louis and spam "Bill" all the way through the game. For some reason I find the way Louis says "Bill" really funny, it's the slight surprise in one of the samples that gets me.

Just spamming names is enough to drive people made over voice chat (especially if you refuse to use voice chat) and it's even better when other people start joining in, spamming Bill or the name of the guy who is currently raging.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

glitchkrieg posted:

Oh God, the L4D speech stuff sounds hilarious. I wish there was a way to do it on the 360 version, but alas all I can do is go as Louis and spam "Bill" all the way through the game. For some reason I find the way Louis says "Bill" really funny, it's the slight surprise in one of the samples that gets me.

Just spamming names is enough to drive people made over voice chat (especially if you refuse to use voice chat) and it's even better when other people start joining in, spamming Bill or the name of the guy who is currently raging.

Though the server side hole weapon spawning may be patched, I would think you can still do the voice stuff to some extent in the 360 version via similar methods. This is assuming that Valve only patched their 360 servers and not the client. This is just a speculation though.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I was pretty disappointed in the griefing video on The Escapist as well. They were all talking like they had their childhoods ruined when they were missing the entire point (I think) that pushes the people who do it to gently caress with people like them. The complete irony that you would get so worked up over something you're supposed to be playing for fun is the humor, not just being an rear end in a top hat. At least in my experience, that's the case.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
For me, it's about the art of griefing.

Anyone can shoot all their teammates in the back, or jump off a cliff, but it takes luck and skill to lure an ally into a small room with the Witch, and watch through the glass panel in the door as it slowly rises up behind them while they frantically try and open the door which you keep slamming in their face and ohgoditsonitsfeetandAAARRRRGGHHHHH!

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

The_White_Crane posted:

For me, it's about the art of griefing.

Anyone can shoot all their teammates in the back, or jump off a cliff, but it takes luck and skill to lure an ally into a small room with the Witch, and watch through the glass panel in the door as it slowly rises up behind them while they frantically try and open the door which you keep slamming in their face and ohgoditsonitsfeetandAAARRRRGGHHHHH!
Yes, exactly this. I cannot count the number of times I've completely ignored and run past a witch, to let a teammate following get ripped apart by her when she gets up.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Digging through the conceptblocks when I was writing my first vocalize scripts I ran across one very special one for Zoey that makes Louis say "Nothing can stop us! DO YOU HEAR ME!?! NOTHING. CAN. STOP. US." followed by every other survivor laughing. I've found some less obnoxious ones for other characters silently triggering responses from another survivor since then but the Zoey one is always my favorite.

No one is really impressed by vocalize spams but when they start freaking out because their guy keeps shouting the same thing it gets pretty funny. Or they get votekicked over it. I only ever 'fess up if I'm playing with other goons.

I'm not sharing the Zoey conceptblock, sorry.

Also I know of vocalize AskForHealth2 but I swear there is another one that has a separate set of lines for each character where they practically beg for a medkit in a way that makes other people feel really guilty. Does anyone know the good one that normally gets triggered very rarely when a player is black and white?

Giganticus
Oct 15, 2005
There's one for Bill which not only starts with a really loving annoying "ARRRR" noise (when repeated) but it also cancels out all other character voices so noone else can talk at all. Cue binding it to every single key.

Also I've got the one that makes Francis say "whatever, and all they got is this goddamn tapeloop?" but I only ever spam it when I'm far away from Francis (if I rush this happens easily) and they'll start blurting out "whatever" repeatedly for seemingly no reason.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

McNerd posted:

I'm too much of a scrub myself to do this reliably, but Dhalsim's is better anyway (and lasts longer since it does less damage).

As most people here probably know, Dhalsim has a grab which every middle-schooler in the world independently named "Yoga Noogie," in which he gives you a noogie while shouting "YOGA YOGA YOGA YOGA" (to make matters worse, that word goes with virtually every move).

There's a really simple infinite loop that sufficiently crappy players can't get out of. And since this throw doesn't put you on the ground like SPD you don't have to wait for them to get up. This is important because the sound effects barely pause. Therefore, a well-executed round creates the most infuriating sound in the English language:

"YOGA YOGA YOGA YOGA"-whack-"YOGA YOGA YOGA YOGA"-whack-"YOGA YOGA YOGA YOGA"-whack-"YOGA YOGA YOGA YOGA"-death scream-"YOU WIN"
Dhalsim's infinite loop was broken for HDR, as was Balrog's. It certainly is still doable against scrubs, but easily broken out of.

Schildkrote
Aug 19, 2006

Wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'
I'm no good at Street Fighter 4, and I'm especially terrible with Dhalsim. What I AM good at is dragon punch motions. And you know what move uses the dragon punch motion? The YOGA TELEPORT. It's very easy to drive Live players into hysterics by tapping them once with a long-range attack and spending the rest of the battle YOGA TELEPORT-ing around.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Sanctum posted:

I'm not sharing the Zoey conceptblock, sorry.
... seriously? "Hurr I found something cool but I'm not gonna share it!!!"

It's ConceptBlock657. There, I ruined your "fun."

Incidentally, ConceptBlock659 triggers it when you're playing as Louis. It's fun to string it together with his other vocalize binds. "I bet your country rear end DOES like this trailer... THAT'S WHY WE SHOULD CALL OURSELVES THE UNSTOPPABLES." Also, "Interesting true story..." is fun to use randomly. I've heard some people get mad at Francis for interrupting because they really wanted to hear about the local township.

This is still nothing compared to my "pro Bill mode" though. It's a script I run that makes Bill randomly say "Mother of Mercy!" "Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" or "Aaaaaugh" every time I move or jump. You get interesting results with it if you use it with Louis too.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

Dhalsim's infinite loop was broken for HDR, as was Balrog's. It certainly is still doable against scrubs, but easily broken out of.

And Zangief's is more solid? I guess that's what I hadn't known. EDIT: I guess in the corner, yeah, forgot about that. But I don't even consider that griefing; if Zangief crams you in the corner hard enough to do a loop like that, you're pretty screwed, and that's how it's supposed to be. Zangief's loops are intended to virtually break the game once you're in position to start them up. Dhalsim's are just cheap for the poor bastards that don't know how to get away.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 6, 2009

F2B
Feb 13, 2003
I used to play a PK mud EOTL. Which was pretty much all greifing I guess but it was mostly a game of survival if you weren't 300 or higher. Anyways I found a place where you could buy grenades, and they had backpacks that you could close. So I set a macro to pull pin on grenade - put grenade in backpack - close backpack - hand backpack to player X, and watch.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Entertaining Griefing that we got known for:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/wow/terrorist-guild-holds-wow-server-hostage-155844.php

Alternatively, non-stop PvE Griefing for outdoor raid bosses, including standards of paying off Horde guilds to kill Alliance tanks, distracting bosses to keep Guilds from tagging them, and my favorite:

During a fight with Azuregos, a giant blue dragon that teleports everyone near by to him(her?). Azuregos was being fought by another alliance guild at the time, with horde in the area to kill us. Our tank ran to Azuregos, taunted, shield walled, and ran for the edge of the map. Once Azurgos got close to the edge of the map, he used his teleport and the entire guild plus horde fighting him fell to their death off the ledge. Azuregos reset, and my guild was sitting back waiting as they tagged him and got the kill before the death debuffs wore off of our competition.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

quote:

Ventriloharassment clips

Good lord, I'm loving dying here! I had to stop several of those clips because I was laughing so hard I was seeing spots and thought I was going to choke!

More please.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My favorite Ventrilo harassment clip will always be the Duke Nukem ones. It's just so hilarious because it's so loving juvenile.

I believe there are a few other ones. All great.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 6, 2009

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Hamelin posted:

My favorite Ventrilo harassment clip will always be the Duke Nukem ones. It's just so hilarious because it's so loving juvenile.

I believe there are a few other ones. All great.

BALLS OF STEEL

BALLS

BALLS

BALLS

never fails to have me on the floor. Yeah, I'm 12, so what?

e. GET OFF VENT OR I'LL HAVE YOU BENT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

quote:

Ventriloharassment clips

Oh god these are FANTASTIC.

Here's 3 more of the funnier ones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2_weRyWLHM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYQ4E8H-B8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5AkIfgioA4&feature=related

Follow those on through the Top Gun ones and Vent Life, godamn these are good.

• Locked thread