Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Is 17k miles on a sportbike an acceptable amount? The bike has been maintained meticulously and by a good shop. The bike has however been tracked several times.

What year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Doctor Zero posted:

What year?

2003 Yamaha R1

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

2003 Yamaha R1

It's about 3k miles a year. Sounds reasonable to me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Is 17k miles on a sportbike an acceptable amount? The bike has been maintained meticulously and by a good shop. The bike has however been tracked several times.

Yes, that's fine as long as maintenence has been done. Tracking is fine as well, as long as the bike was well maintained.

Bukanza
Sep 28, 2001

`Nemesis posted:

Don't worry about displacement, worry about power. Displacement is practically meaningless.... what you should be doing is aiming for less than 70hp or there-abouts.
You think a Nighthawk 750 would be overkill for a first bike? It's hard to pin down exact HP figures, but it seems to be in the 70-ish range, plus it sounds like the size of the bike would fit my height.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Bukanza posted:

You think a Nighthawk 750 would be overkill for a first bike? It's hard to pin down exact HP figures, but it seems to be in the 70-ish range, plus it sounds like the size of the bike would fit my height.
70 is borderline. not necessarily bad.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Bukanza posted:

75hp is a touch on the high side, but it isn't a deal breaker by any means. If you are a responsible rider and will have the patience to learn how to work with the bike, can recognize that you will always have a lot to learn about riding, and continue to work on your skills, then it shouldn't be a problem. If it's the bike you want, I'd say go for it.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
What do you guys think of these types of seat covers?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

hey man do you have any pot I can grab off ya?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dietcokefiend posted:

Are you planning on starting a motorcycle taxi buisness?

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

Look, I'm a liberal guy, voting for Obama, yada yada.
I drained the last float bowl and here's what was in there:

So I put a bunch of Sea Foam in the tank, started the bike (though that took some time), and it seemed to idle fine on choke. After warming up for a bit, it idled alright without choke, but I still left a bit of the choke on just in case.

Next, I went to the gas station and filled it up with 93, added more Sea Foam stuff, and went riding. After about a mile and a half, the same thing as before started to happen: the engine would lug in low RPMs, so I had to keep the throttle open at stops to get home. The problem progressed as tim ewent on (over the next mile or so), although the rate at which it progressed slowed.

Any ideas?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Sounds like high float bowl level/stuck floats to me.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

Are you planning on starting a motorcycle taxi buisness?

I just want a comfy rear end on longer rides (5-6 hours)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

A comfy bottom on long rides relies more on you, than the bike. People aren't designed to sit for extended periods like that. Any place on your body that has pressure on it will eventually develop pain.

The fix, is to move. No seat cover can simulate moving. So why bother. Sit a little left, a little right, a little forward, a little back. Move every few minutes.

Even according to corbin... yaknow the seat people? They say you should be standing roughly 10 percent of the time. We're not talking a 6 minute stand in the wind every hour, but getting up off your rear end every few minutes to let blood flow again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Standing really does wonders. It can be a tricky thing to learn at highway speed.

Just remember to not let off the throttle, or you are going over the bars.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Standing really does wonders. It can be a tricky thing to learn at highway speed.

Just remember to not let off the throttle, or you are going over the bars.

Yea I already learned the standing up trick a while ago when the Ohio DOT decided to do lovely pothole repairs on the highway between work and home, leaving this raised or lowered strips of asphalt that feel like a sledge the nutsack if you aren't off the seat when going over them.

I understand the throttle part and deceleration, but on my bike letting off at 6k at highway speeds feels only like light braking. Nothing that would toss you off the bike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Any opinions on cramp busters / throttle rockers? I bought one figuring I'd give that a try before I look further into raising my bars (I get throttle hand fatigue on longer hauls).

Haven't tried riding with it yet, but it seemed like crap and it would just slip on the grip. I guess the spring force is pretty high, which is part of my fatigue issues.

I've heard it mentioned as problematic with regards to inadvertent throttle application and so on, hence my question.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ola posted:

Any opinions on cramp busters / throttle rockers? I bought one figuring I'd give that a try before I look further into raising my bars (I get throttle hand fatigue on longer hauls).

Haven't tried riding with it yet, but it seemed like crap and it would just slip on the grip. I guess the spring force is pretty high, which is part of my fatigue issues.

I've heard it mentioned as problematic with regards to inadvertent throttle application and so on, hence my question.

I just bought one myself, and took an extended ride on it a week or two ago. Due to its design when you push down on it, it actually tightens its grip on the throttle so it won't slip while applying throttle. You can however adjust it by pushing it up (and thus closing the throttle), this way you can set it to whatever throttle position you want. I could see some inadvertent throttle application when first getting used to it, but after using it for a bit it wasn't too difficult to use. The one caveat, is I found it a bitch to use in around town traffic because as I ride a 250 I have to set it to have a large portion of the throttle open while cruising on the highway, and very little while cruising on the surface streets around town. This means that after setting it to use on the highway, if I exited the highway the rocker was just getting in the way while going slower around town. This might not be a problem on a bigger bike with more power as you could get in the right gear to make it work though.

I'd give it a 2.5 out of 5 stars, only because its so cheap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

I hate, hate, HATE cramp busters and throttle rockers.

I love these: http://www.casporttouring.com/thestore/Vista-Cruise.html

25$ and you flip the switch on to lock the throttle, and flip the switch off to unlock it. You tune it to add just enough resistance to prevent the throttle from rolling off, but if you have to, you just twist a little harder and it'll let you roll off. I was skeptical, until I rode a friend's bike with it, and I've got 2 on the way for me and the g/f's bikes now.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Bukanza posted:

What <= 500cc cruiser would be a comfortable ride for a 6'3" dude buying his first bike? I fear a Rebel and Virago would be too cramped.

I'm 6'2" and have a Vulcan 750. I find it very comfortable, much more than my wife's '97 Magna. It's ~60 HP I think, so it's by no means overkill.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

25$ and you flip the switch on to lock the throttle, and flip the switch off to unlock it. You tune it to add just enough resistance to prevent the throttle from rolling off, but if you have to, you just twist a little harder and it'll let you roll off. I was skeptical, until I rode a friend's bike with it, and I've got 2 on the way for me and the g/f's bikes now.

Oh god, seconding this. It's so easy to just flip it with your thumb and rest your arm/scratch/wave/whatever, and then flip it back down again. I'm always going to have one on my bike from now on.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
For tall dudes, a dual sport like the KLR 650 would make a great first bike. I couldn't afford one, so I got a 1982 GS 750. It's ~80 hp, but very forgiving torque curve. A little bit smaller than I'd like, but comfortable enough. Had it for 7 months so far, and am definitely growing into it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a first bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont know a ton about metallurgy, so I dont really even know how to phrase this. I'm looking for the kind of pipe that I can use to make an exhaust pipe. Everything I find in normal stores is for plumbing and is a 1/4 inch thick. Where can I get actual exhaust piping?

Heres the kicker, its for a CT90 motor, so it needs to be relatively small 30mm diameter or so.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Plain Stainless is used for a lot of motorcycle exhausts. Otherwise ,the stuff you find on cars is aluminized.

If you're willing to coat it, plain steel works too.

You're looking for welded seam thinwall tubing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hmm, any ideas where I can buy it?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=19&step=2&top_cat=1

That'll do nicely. Fill it with sand before bending :-)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If you have hand pain the only way to go is a good throttle lock. The Vista cruise can be adjusted so it applies just enough force to hold the throttle in place. You can easily roll the throttle off if you need to do it quickly. It's not like an old fashioned lock that won't let free unless you unlock it. It also makes adjusting your speed easy since you can still twist the throttle.

I've even had a throttlemeister on two different bikes, and aside from the fact that the vista cruises are a little ugly on your bars I think they work better. Just push the little button down as opposed to having to twist the bar end everytime.

I found that most of my complaints with regard to riding position have to do with my hand falling asleep. It just does it regardless of the bike, so after I discovered throttle locks I was able to put up with bikes with a lot more aggressive geometry and weight on your hands.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Phat_Albert posted:

What do you define as a stand - lifting rear end with knees bent, or a full fledged on-the-prow-of-the-titanic stand?

I've done both, but am never sure which is appropriate.

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004

Z3n posted:

Where are you located? From everything I've heard, Keith Code does a fantastic job of breaking down the steps to learning to go fast. I could just never justify one of his days as there are a lot of trackday providers out here who offer some amazing schools for 1/10th of the price.

I'm in Northeast PA(1 hour from philly 2 hours from NYC) so not a whole lot of options that I know of out here at the moment only close tracks are Pocono raceway and New Jersey Motorsports Park. I know we also have Nesba and Team Pro-motion out here.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

OrangeFurious posted:

What do you define as a stand - lifting rear end with knees bent, or a full fledged on-the-prow-of-the-titanic stand?

Both. I do both. Depends on how long I want to stand.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

OrangeFurious posted:

I've done both, but am never sure which is appropriate.

Don't worry about it. Just move around. If you're on a straight road with no/little traffic, snaking down the road a bit, getting off to each side of the bike can even be enough to help.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sick_Nukes posted:

I'm in Northeast PA(1 hour from philly 2 hours from NYC) so not a whole lot of options that I know of out here at the moment only close tracks are Pocono raceway and New Jersey Motorsports Park. I know we also have Nesba and Team Pro-motion out here.

Ahh, yeah. I'd look at doing one of his cheaper school trackdays and see if you mesh well with his style of teaching...there's a lot of different teachers and a lot of different teaching styles.

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen
Anyone got specific questions i should be asking about a '99 BMW r1100s i'm looking at picking up?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Where's the best place to pick up a chain and sprocket set? Bike Bandit or the other usual suspects?
Also, what brand would you recommend?

I moved a bit out of the city and my commute shot up to about 50 miles daily. The GS needs to be in top form to make sure I can get to work every day.
Currently the chain seems to go out of adjustment every 1000 miles and is misting rusty powder from between the links. I'm thinking it's time for a new one.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Bugdrvr posted:

Where's the best place to pick up a chain and sprocket set? Bike Bandit or the other usual suspects?
Also, what brand would you recommend?

I moved a bit out of the city and my commute shot up to about 50 miles daily. The GS needs to be in top form to make sure I can get to work every day.
Currently the chain seems to go out of adjustment every 1000 miles and is misting rusty powder from between the links. I'm thinking it's time for a new one.

By far the lowest name-brand item was getting the part number from dennis kirk, and pasting it onto the search field on Ron Ayers.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

I hate, hate, HATE cramp busters and throttle rockers.

Tried the throttle rocker about 8 miles today, hated it. It definitely felt like it interfered with pushing on the bar for steering and that it would not let the throttle drop to idle if I needed to go hard on the front brake.

Raising the bars is too much of a pain I think, I'll keep the rocker in the tail comparment for the odd long haul and work on my posture instead.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
So the crack in my muffler turned into a regular gopher hole. JB Weld will not save me now :saddowns:. I'm also poor and don't have the money to drop on a new exhaust system. Inspection is due this month and I won't pass as-is (though I don't really know what having a loud hole in the muffler has to due with safety goddamnit, straight-piped Harleys are 10x as loud). I can find replacement mufflers online at several sources. Am I ok to use a sawzall to cut the welded-on stock mufflers off, and then just slip on the replacements? A guy offered me a 4-into-1 exhaust for $60, but I currently have 4-into-2 and want to keep the balanced look, plus I don't want to have to deal with removing the entire system, buying new exhaust gaskets, etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

4-1 trumps 4-2 any day of the week. Doooooo iiiitttttt

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

100 Years in Iraq posted:

So the crack in my muffler turned into a regular gopher hole. JB Weld will not save me now :saddowns:. I'm also poor and don't have the money to drop on a new exhaust system. Inspection is due this month and I won't pass as-is (though I don't really know what having a loud hole in the muffler has to due with safety goddamnit, straight-piped Harleys are 10x as loud). I can find replacement mufflers online at several sources. Am I ok to use a sawzall to cut the welded-on stock mufflers off, and then just slip on the replacements? A guy offered me a 4-into-1 exhaust for $60, but I currently have 4-into-2 and want to keep the balanced look, plus I don't want to have to deal with removing the entire system, buying new exhaust gaskets, etc.

Are you going to fail your inspection if you have the 4 into 1 on there? If not, just use the 4 into 1. You can usually recycle exhaust gaskets without too much issue.

Or you could just take the exhaust to a muffler shop and have them weld a patch on it, probably wouldn't cost you much of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Or you could just take the exhaust to a muffler shop and have them weld a patch on it, probably wouldn't cost you much of anything.
i've done this on my antique cause each header is $150. seemed to work.