Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

Z3n posted:

You got lucky, I had a friend pay 400$ for a bike that was a 4 years overdue. :(

Call your DMV, Korwen. They'll give you the correct info, the absolute worst place to get DMV info is motorcycle forums. :haw:

This is exactly what happened to me. Found a sweet, good condition CX500 with < 18k miles on it for $850. Took it to the DMV the next week, and got bitch-slapped with another $396 in overdue registration. The guy had peeled an 09 sticker off of some other vehicle and slapped it on the plate . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Found another, if you can't tell, I'm looking to snag a bike on the cheap

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1150713071.html

'86 Virago, I've always loved these bikes. What sounds like a fair offer?

another GS
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1151019708.html

wormil fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 2, 2009

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Why is it sellers of bikes and cars always have to make up the "Well a guy came earlier today and is interested" bullshit. No, your bike has been on craigslist for a month, nobody is buying it except maybe me if you level.

Also, is $7500 a bit much for a good condition 2006 VFR with 6600 miles? Kelly Blue book says $7300 but I remember reading on here that there is a better, more accurate "book" for used motorcycle prices.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

Why is it sellers of bikes and cars always have to make up the "Well a guy came earlier today and is interested" bullshit. No, your bike has been on craigslist for a month, nobody is buying it except maybe me if you level.

Also, is $7500 a bit much for a good condition 2006 VFR with 6600 miles? Kelly Blue book says $7300 but I remember reading on here that there is a better, more accurate "book" for used motorcycle prices.

the average of high and low kbb is typically the reasonable price for a private party bike in perfect condition. High kbb is the dealership price with everything perfect/new, and some form of service records. Kbb mileage is bullshit as well, so ignore that. Mileage off of displacement, right...:rolleyes:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 3, 2009

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Z3n posted:

Kbb mileage is bullshit as well, so ignore that. Mileage off of displacement, right...:rolleyes:

Yeah that doesn't make much sense and where did they get those averages from anyway?

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/mileage-and-condition/retail/2006/honda/crf50f/70254

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Craigslist sellers are the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet. Everytime I try to buy something it's like pulling hen's teeth.

I'm interested in your bike. When and where can I come see it? Here is my number xxx-xxxx

Sure, anytime, just let me know when you want to come see it.

I want to come now. Send me directions.

Sure, here is my phone number, just call before you leave.

I call, no answer. "Dumb motherfucker tell me where you're loving bike is so I can come buy it!" And yeah, I know, buyers are equally retarded.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
New bike time!

I'm looking at middleweight naked standards, these 5 in particular, and are all 2009s:

Suzuki SFV-650 Gladius
Aprilia Shiver 750
Kawasaki ER-6N
Triumph Street Triple
Ducati Monster 696

The Suzuki has the reliability and that engine that everybody loves in it.
The Aprilia is just unique. I've never seen an Aprilia on the road. It's heavy, though.
The Kawasaki has gorgeous looks and is the cheapest of the lot.
The Triumph has that glorious raspy triple sound, and again, exclusivity.
The Ducati is just loving gorgeous and costs the same as the Aprilia and Triumph.

My heart really says the Monster, but the wallet and brain both cry for the Kawasaki... It'll be used for commuting and going everywhere when it's not raining, and I've got a car if something happens. Insurance is exactly the same on all 5 bikes (kinda weird, but I'm not complaining).

What would you guys do?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How much experience do you have and what's your riding profile?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

1992 V-max 3grand
1998 1200 Sportster 2700

Which one to get?

My buddy is the parts guy at the harley dealer so I get cost for parts and has a killer fast sportster. I know the sportster is lighter and handles way better (I had a 85 Maxim which is nearly the same geometry as that V-max). The v-max needs no introduction. The sportster is killer easy to work on, the V-max is a nightmare.

What now.

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003
Alright the last bike I was going to check out was sold, but I found another cheap one that looks pretty good aside from some rust: 1981 Kawasaki CSR650 for $1100.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1156057491.html

Also, there's a GS 500 for $2000.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1154983707.html

This would be my first bike, and I'm looking for something fast but not too difficult to learn to ride on or repair. I'm taking the MSF in a week, but if either bike is in good shape would it be a bad idea to buy one before then?

PROLE ART THREAT fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 7, 2009

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

VTNewb posted:

1992 V-max 3grand
1998 1200 Sportster 2700

Which one to get?

My buddy is the parts guy at the harley dealer so I get cost for parts and has a killer fast sportster. I know the sportster is lighter and handles way better (I had a 85 Maxim which is nearly the same geometry as that V-max). The v-max needs no introduction. The sportster is killer easy to work on, the V-max is a nightmare.

What now.

Sounds like you already have your mind made up. Newer, cheaper, and a parts hookup. What are the benefits of the V-Max?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

jdonz posted:

What are the benefits of the V-Max?

It's a V-Max.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

jdonz posted:

Sounds like you already have your mind made up. Newer, cheaper, and a parts hookup. What are the benefits of the V-Max?

VBOOOOOOST.

I'd buy the V-Max, because it's a loving V-max. Plus it was made for ages, parts shouldn't be hard to find.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

wormil posted:

It's a V-Max.

Meh, I could see if it was a new one, those things are sweet. My personal preference leans towards newer bikes, but to each his own I guess. After some cursory google image searching it looks like the two bikes (1992 v-max and 1998 sportster) are very similar in styling.

I'm anxiously awaiting VTNewb's decision.

Edit:
:awesome:

jdonz fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 7, 2009

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
That purple thing I'm pretty sure is a Virago. Here is a V-Max:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
looks like it holds 15oz of gas

PyxlWyz
Jan 9, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

New bike time!

I'm looking at middleweight naked standards, these 5 in particular, and are all 2009s:

Suzuki SFV-650 Gladius
Aprilia Shiver 750
Kawasaki ER-6N
Triumph Street Triple
Ducati Monster 696

The Aprilia is just unique. I've never seen an Aprilia on the road. It's heavy, though.
The Ducati is just loving gorgeous and costs the same as the Aprilia and Triumph.

My heart really says the Monster, but the wallet and brain both cry for the Kawasaki... It'll be used for commuting and going everywhere when it's not raining, and I've got a car if something happens. Insurance is exactly the same on all 5 bikes (kinda weird, but I'm not complaining).

What would you guys do?

I would go for the Triumph, but I'm happy with my Honda 599 ;-)

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

VERTiG0 posted:

New bike time!

Suzuki SFV-650 Gladius
Aprilia Shiver 750
Kawasaki ER-6N
Triumph Street Triple
Ducati Monster 696

What would you guys do?

The Triumph, because it is significantly faster than any of the others.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jdonz posted:

What are the benefits of the V-Max?

FAST AS gently caress

Well, as fast as supersport 600 from 10 years ago, but it would destroy a Sportster.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah thats the problem.

I want a power cruiser, and the V-max fits the bill right out of the box. The sporter has a really sweet aftermarket though. I personally like the V-max more, but the hookup for parts is cool, especially since I get get a STORZ XR1200 kit at cost.

EDIT: Yeah, that purple thing is a hurrago. This is the bike:
http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/1149901948.html

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 7, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

looks like it holds 15oz of gas

See that extra bit of padding between the rider and passenger seats? That bit lifts off and there's a gas cap under it.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

VTNewb posted:

Yeah thats the problem.

I want a power cruiser, and the V-max fits the bill right out of the box. The sporter has a really sweet aftermarket though. I personally like the V-max more, but the hookup for parts is cool, especially since I get get a STORZ XR1200 kit at cost.

EDIT: Yeah, that purple thing is a hurrago. This is the bike:
http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/1149901948.html

What's the price difference between HD parts at cost and Yamaha parts at retail? Also how much would you have to put into the Sportster to have it make power like the VMAX?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gr3y posted:

What's the price difference between HD parts at cost and Yamaha parts at retail? Also how much would you have to put into the Sportster to have it make power like the VMAX?

HD would be significantly less. The sportster won't ever have V-max power. After the free stuff I'd get from my buddy It'd probably dyno at about 80 RWHP. The sportster weighs about 150lbs less and I'm just going to assume a lower CG.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

VERTiG0 posted:

New bike time!

Suzuki SFV-650 Gladius
Aprilia Shiver 750
Kawasaki ER-6N
Triumph Street Triple
Ducati Monster 696

What would you guys do?

If you buy anything but the Triumph (preferably the R version) you are a horrible person and I will be mad at you. Its pretty much the best fun * functionality / dollar you can find right now, new at least.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Gr3y posted:

Wait for Nero to show up and school you on possible GS transmission issues. But $500 and running seems like it might be worth it if you're willing to do some work.

The GS850 has roughly 77hp, the GS750 you were looking at has almost 90 IIRC. Go 4 valve engines.

Both bikes have the almost the same transmission. I'm willing to bet the "weird" shifting on the 850 is due to shaft drive issues, or a worn clutch basket, or bent shift forks. I wouldn't worry about it really. I can't remember the last GS I've heard of actually eating their transmission.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nerobro posted:

The GS850 has roughly 77hp, the GS750 you were looking at has almost 90 IIRC. Go 4 valve engines.

Both bikes have the almost the same transmission. I'm willing to bet the "weird" shifting on the 850 is due to shaft drive issues, or a worn clutch basket, or bent shift forks. I wouldn't worry about it really. I can't remember the last GS I've heard of actually eating their transmission.

Could also be a misadjusted clutch. I've seen that cause crunchy shifts before.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

VTNewb posted:

HD would be significantly less. The sportster won't ever have V-max power. After the free stuff I'd get from my buddy It'd probably dyno at about 80 RWHP. The sportster weighs about 150lbs less and I'm just going to assume a lower CG.

You can get more than that out of a 1200 Sportster. My Dad's has around 88 RWHP, and that's in a moderate shade of tune.

The 98 is still an EVO motor right? There should be enough S&S stuff (which you probably won't be able to get at cost) to make that bike have as much scoot as you can reasonably want.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Gr3y posted:

You can get more than that out of a 1200 Sportster. My Dad's has around 88 RWHP, and that's in a moderate shade of tune.

The 98 is still an EVO motor right? There should be enough S&S stuff (which you probably won't be able to get at cost) to make that bike have as much scoot as you can reasonably want.

Except harleys can't handle high sustained horsepower. The cranks, and bearings aren't up to the task. Worse than that, they have poo poo for head cooling. That's always been the ultimate limit of power on motors, how well you can cool the top end.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Except harleys can't handle high sustained horsepower. The cranks, and bearings aren't up to the task. Worse than that, they have poo poo for head cooling. That's always been the ultimate limit of power on motors, how well you can cool the top end.

S&S builds reinforced bottom end kits for every HD motor out there, and I think both theirs and Eddlebrock's head have additional cooling fin area to help with the cooling.

That said... you're into some serious money at that point. Like... buy a beater Gixxer for when you want to go fast money.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Is $1400 a good deal for a 1982 Yamaha XS Maxima 400 with only 9000 miles on it? It looks to be in amazing shape.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

VERTiG0 posted:

Suzuki SFV-650 Gladius
Aprilia Shiver 750
Kawasaki ER-6N
Triumph Street Triple
Ducati Monster 696

What would you guys do?

I liked my Ninja 650 a lot (same as ER-6n). The motor was very torquey but still pulled hard to the redline. It sounded like crap stock because the exhaust was so muffled, but with a Akropovich it sounded totally badass. It handled very well, I had it on the track a couple times and was killing people on 600RR and 1000RR's ( C group :) ). It was totally reliable and comfortable and I rode it nearly everyday for my 40 mile commute.

The ER6N has that absolutely hideous headlight and fairing/gauge pod garbage, but if you can get over that I'm sure you'd love it

Bukanza
Sep 28, 2001
Does $3700 sound high to anyone else for a 2000 Honda Nighthawk 750? 14K Miles, claimed kept covered its whole life.

KBB quotes $2910, but I'm wondering how realistic this number is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bukanza posted:

Does $3700 sound high to anyone else for a 2000 Honda Nighthawk 750? 14K Miles, claimed kept covered its whole life.

KBB quotes $2910, but I'm wondering how realistic this number is.

Yes. 2500$ is more reasonable for a 9 year old 750 standard. Sadly, he's probably not going to see it like that.

Bukanza
Sep 28, 2001

Z3n posted:

Yes. 2500$ is more reasonable for a 9 year old 750 standard.
That's what expected. Thanks.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Vertigo:
I'd try like hell to see if you can get test rides on all of the bikes you are considering. I'd say if cost of ownership and reliability are you concerns you will be best served by one of the Japanese bikes.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

BleakLewis posted:

Is $1400 a good deal for a 1982 Yamaha XS Maxima 400 with only 9000 miles on it? It looks to be in amazing shape.

Do not buy that bike under any circumstances. If you've ever seen me rant about the XS400, that's the same motor. That bike is a ticking timebomb. Fun. Far. FAR away.

The bikes drop their cam chain tensioner, and that locks up the motor. Also to access the carbs requires removing the exhaust, and dropping the motor. And when the engine DOES work, it's a wheazy, slow reving, cheap lawnmower feeling peice of crap. It only makes something like 16hp from FOUR HUNDRED cc's.

Also they have the "crack-o-matic" hilariously bad early 80's fusebox. Oh, and they have a penchant for developing odd shorts in their electrical wiring.

I'll say it again. DO NOT BUY THAT BIKE.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Finally got the V-max owner down to $2500, and then I learn he "probably has it sold". Here's to the other guy weenying out.

I decided against the sportser because I don't want to drive 3 and a half hours each way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I went and registered the Sportster, and transferred my old plate and poo poo over.

:argh:

Mother fucker. Paying sales tax on a USED vehicle is the biggest scam in the loving world. Goddamn government. I hate you Michigan.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

Kurtz posted:

Also, there's a GS 500 for $2000.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1154983707.html

This would be my first bike, and I'm looking for something fast but not too difficult to learn to ride on or repair.

I bought a GS500 as my first street bike and love it. I'm still riding it, the seating position is great, the handling/power is predictable, and I really couldn't say much else about this great beginner bike. I'm really happy I didn't buy a 250 or something along those lines as I'd be bored of it already. This has plenty of power for around town, which suits my needs exactly. I'm hopefully going to get into the SV650 for my next bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Nerobro posted:

Fun. Far. FAR away.

I want to have fun far, far, away! Seriously though thanks for the advice. I had read that they weren't all that comfortable to ride but moving the exhaust to get to the carbs is a chore I wouldn't look forward to.