Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Nerobro posted:

:argh: YAMAHA

Same problems, different wrapper?

Click here for the full 1024x656 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Run, even faster. :supaburn:

youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-1982-Suzuki-GS1100GK-W0QQAdIdZ126008078

I want something that's sportier but the price is right for me. Thoughts?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I am driving myself crazy trying to decide what bike to buy. At first my heart was set on a sporty touring style bike like a Versys, etc. because I want to take a few rides this summer but I keep looking hard at cruiser style bikes. Today I found a Vulcan 900 in Kawasaki green that I'm liking. My budget it up to $4500, the Kawi is $6500 used at a dealership, I might be able to talk them down a bit then finance the remainder or buy a from an individual.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Bucephalus posted:

Same problems, different wrapper?

Click here for the full 1024x656 image.

That's the actual bike I had. But in red. It's just a different fender, seat and tank.

Still run.

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004
My mom is interested in getting a GS 500 how much are late model used ones going for? She was looking at this one http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/1146972414.html would $3500 be a good price or to much?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Soooo tempting for the bike, if nothing else just to resell the thing.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1164124321.html

Considering its condition and the super low price, think it is stolen or a scam?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

^^ It's been flagged, so I have no idea what it was, but I'm guessing it was a scam. Remember, if you have to ask...

Sick_Nukes posted:

My mom is interested in getting a GS 500 how much are late model used ones going for? She was looking at this one http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/1146972414.html would $3500 be a good price or to much?

I'd say that's pretty much in the ballpark for a two year old bike with low miles. They weren't very expensive to begin with, but as they are generally regarded as learner bikes, they hold their value very well. I sold my 93 GS500 two years back (after having it for a year), for $300 more than I bought it for, so it's certainly not a bad bike, as far as resale goes. I'd say that $2500-3500 isn't unreasonable for a later model GS500 (F or naked).

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004

Simkin posted:

I'd say that's pretty much in the ballpark for a two year old bike with low miles. They weren't very expensive to begin with, but as they are generally regarded as learner bikes, they hold their value very well. I sold my 93 GS500 two years back (after having it for a year), for $300 more than I bought it for, so it's certainly not a bad bike, as far as resale goes. I'd say that $2500-3500 isn't unreasonable for a later model GS500 (F or naked).

Cool, thanks, I'm guessing EX-500's will run in the same range. Seemed a little high to me seeing as you can get similar condition SV's in $3k-$4k. I also found what appears to be a good condition EX-500 for $2500 will take her to look at that one as well.

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

New bike time!

I'm looking at middleweight naked standards, these 5 in particular, and are all 2009s:

Suzuki SFV-650 Gladius
Aprilia Shiver 750
Kawasaki ER-6N
Triumph Street Triple
Ducati Monster 696

The Suzuki has the reliability and that engine that everybody loves in it.
The Aprilia is just unique. I've never seen an Aprilia on the road. It's heavy, though.
The Kawasaki has gorgeous looks and is the cheapest of the lot.
The Triumph has that glorious raspy triple sound, and again, exclusivity.
The Ducati is just loving gorgeous and costs the same as the Aprilia and Triumph.

My heart really says the Monster, but the wallet and brain both cry for the Kawasaki... It'll be used for commuting and going everywhere when it's not raining, and I've got a car if something happens. Insurance is exactly the same on all 5 bikes (kinda weird, but I'm not complaining).

What would you guys do?

I would say either the Street Triple or the SV I have one of each and they are both awesome. The Street is way faster though and even the non-R version handles good out of the box(though if you have the cash I would spring for the R it wasn't available yet when I got mine) I'm not a big fan of the brakes on it though(again R version would probably rectify this). It also defiantly offers a lot of bang for your buck when you compare to the the Monster and the Shiver and it looks way tougher then those sissy boy Italian bikes :-). The SV would probably be better if this is your first bike, really an SV is never a bad option, I got one after having a 636 for years and still had a blast on it. It's cheaper and parts are plentiful so you won't be so upset when you mess it up. Check out SV-rider.com and you can learn pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about the SV, it's a great bike with a huge cult following. I bought mine with the intention of selling it when my Street3 finally arrived but couldn't give it. It's decent out of the box and has a huge aftermarket/modification scene so whatever you don't like you can upgrade as needed. Also there's a lot of used ones out there so unless your really into the Gladius look I would suggest that route and save yourself some money.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Simkin posted:

^^ It's been flagged, so I have no idea what it was, but I'm guessing it was a scam. Remember, if you have to ask...

Odd, still up right now...

http://24.234.188.35/o/GSXR750.htm

that is a link to the guys "real" page. $2,500 for a 2003 GSXR750 in perfect condition :v: yes please

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

dietcokefiend posted:

Odd, still up right now...

http://24.234.188.35/o/GSXR750.htm

that is a link to the guys "real" page. $2,500 for a 2003 GSXR750 in perfect condition :v: yes please

Lol I think they do this so they can say you didn't buy it off craigslist. I saw the same ad in my local town with the same format with a slightly different bike.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Lol I think they do this so they can say you didn't buy it off craigslist. I saw the same ad in my local town with the same format with a slightly different bike.

Awwww :3:

quote:

Hello,

First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my bike. I sell at this price($2500) because i just finished the divorce with my husband. After the divorce was finished the bike remained on my name. Now as a woman i don't need it and I need money for other things. This bike is in excellent working conditions, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions and comes with a clear title. From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay, I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services. As I know that my current situation is pretty special I want the deal closed only through eBay's Buyer Protection Program in order for me and you to be 100% protected. The final price that I want for this bike is $2500. If you will take it for this price, I am willing to handle the shipping. Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy.

Pictures: http://24.234.188.35/o/GSXR750.htm
(if the above link does not work copy and paste it into a new web browser window).

Miles 3,569

Best Regards,

Julia

Silly people, bikes aren't for women

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

dietcokefiend posted:

Awwww :3:

Silly people, bikes aren't for women

Mine was the same but was a colonel in the army and was being shipped out to iraq. Instead of a divorcee wife.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I really like the more classic style of cycles like the Suzuki Standard TU250X or the Ducati SportClassic GT1000. What would be good bikes to look at that are similar in style, preferably something with enough go to take on the highway fairly comfortably?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Triumph Bonneville, Kawasaki W650, and pretty much anything made by Japan in the late 70s - late 80s. It's kind of decided by how much you're willing to spend, and if you'd consider an older bike, or are only interested in something newer than 10 years. Also, if it's your first bike, you probably don't want to jump straight on to a GT1000 :supaburn:

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Excellent, just the kind of stuff I was looking for, thanks. The Ducati certainly wasn't my first choice, if mostly because it costs well over twice what other bikes I like cost.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Don't forget the Guzzi V7 Classic.

Bukanza
Sep 28, 2001
1986 Suzuki Intruder 700, 24K miles. Seller claims bike kept very well maintained and is asking $2000. KBB claims value closer to $1500. The bike gets pretty good reviews.

1) Is $2000 a fair price?
2) What are the most common maintenance tasks I'll need to do on a 23 year old bike?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bukanza posted:

1986 Suzuki Intruder 700, 24K miles. Seller claims bike kept very well maintained and is asking $2000. KBB claims value closer to $1500. The bike gets pretty good reviews.

1) Is $2000 a fair price?
2) What are the most common maintenance tasks I'll need to do on a 23 year old bike?

He's most likely asking $2k because he expects to be talked down to $1.5k

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Crosspost from the 'new to motorcycling' thread, because I didn't realize this was a thread for stuff like this. :shobon:

Tonight after work I'm going to go look at an 87 Honda Rebel 450, the CMX450. I didn't even know this model existed (and that they only were produced for two years, 86 and 87). I've read a few posts about what to look for when checking out old bikes, I'm just having a hard time finding them at the moment. If anybody has time, if they could go over a quick checklist I'd be appreciative.
He said he had it tuned up at the Honda dealer this last fall, and it 'runs like a dream, doesn't eat oil, and just goes forever'. He's moving cross-country and that's why he's selling it. It has an aftermarket windshield and saddlebags. His posting said 2300 bucks, but KBB on this thing is like $2000 so I wanna talk him down, however this is a rural area and there's hardly ANY used motorcycle market around here so I'm thinking that's why he's charging more... because he can probably get it. I didn't think to ask how much mileage it has on it, so I guess I'll just see when I get there.

This would be my first ever bike, by the way. I took the MSF course over a year ago and have my license.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

tranten posted:

Crosspost from the 'new to motorcycling' thread, because I didn't realize this was a thread for stuff like this. :shobon:

....CMX450.

His posting said 2300 bucks, but KBB on this thing is like $2000 so I wanna talk him down, however this is a rural area and there's hardly ANY used motorcycle market around here so I'm thinking that's why he's charging more... because he can probably get it.

Unless your truck (if that's what you plan on using to transport the bike) gets like 1 mile per gallon thus making the ridiculous markup on this bike valid, extend your search. Even if that bike is immaculate, it's not worth $2k, though it being riding season and you being in a scarce area certainly doesn't help (you're right; he may well see that from a buyer). And don't let the scarcity of that bike fool you; it's just a slightly more powerful Rebel. You rode one on your MSF course, most likely, only that bike had like 18 horsepower.

What's your location? Folks around here get bored and love searching craigslist for people like you.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I just passed my MSF basic course this past weekend and got my license today. I had a friend offer to sell me his 1986 Honda Shadow VT500 for cheap, but he bought himsellf a Road King and sold the Shadow to someone else at a higher price to offset the cost. Now I'm back in the cycle search, and would like some advice from you cycle Goons who know what you're doing.

I'm also wondering how big of a bike I should be looking for. I'm 5'6/295 and took my MSF on a one cylinder Suzuki GZ250, which ended up being somewhat problematic since it was having trouble getting my fat rear end in motion. I know I need to keep the horsepower under 70 as a basic rule, but friends keep telling me that I need something around a 650, whereas I've been looking for a 500.

1977 Kawasaki KZ650 - $900
This one fits in the high end of my current price range and appears to be running, but the lack of pics makes me wonder how roughed up it is. I don't know if it's a B1 or a C1, but I'm going to be negoriating price anyway since I think he's asking a lot when I compare prices to KBB.com.

1983 Yamaha Virago 500 - $500 (West Philadelphia)
This one looks good and the guy listed everything wrong with it. Not expensive enough that I would weep if it fell, although it would scratch that wicked Boris print on the tank...

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Added bikes after hitting the post button too soon and corrected a bad URL.
EDIT: Removed bike that was sold.

BigHustle fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 14, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh jesus I just got my KLR running don't throw stuff like this at me

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

BigHustle posted:

1977 Kawasaki KZ650 - $900
This one fits in the high end of my current price range and appears to be running, but the lack of pics makes me wonder how roughed up it is. I don't know if it's a B1 or a C1, but I'm going to be negoriating price anyway since I think he's asking a lot when I compare prices to KBB.com.

Go with this one. They're a tank of a bike and will have more than enough grunt to get you around. They're just on the line for a newbie bike performance wise however, so be careful. They have a nice forgiving throttle curve with gobs of torque in the midrange.

If you have any questions I'm just finishing up fixing one of these I bought for $300 last year. Project thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3010293

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

8ender posted:

Go with this one. They're a tank of a bike and will have more than enough grunt to get you around. They're just on the line for a newbie bike performance wise however, so be careful. They have a nice forgiving throttle curve with gobs of torque in the midrange.

If you have any questions I'm just finishing up fixing one of these I bought for $300 last year. Project thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3010293

Thanks for the input! I'm waiting to hear back from both of those guys, but I also found this 1983 Honda Shadow VT750 that looks to be in amazing shape for $1000. I can't find HP ratings anywhere so I'm not too sure if it would be something I should look into or not.

EDIT: Found some specs...
Max Power - 68 hp @ 7500 rpm
Max Torque - 49 lb-ft @ 6000 rpm

Sounds OK if I take it easy, right?

BigHustle fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 14, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1169352724.html

Hey guys good price, only $1,000 for a 1999 Suzuki Crotch Rocket! Did they come in blue?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Okay, I've narrowed it down to two bikes, both Vulcan 900's, both at the same dealership.

The first is a 2006 Vulcan Classic LT (spoke wheels, foot boards, windshield, bags, passenger backrest - but the bags are missing), it has a nasty scratch on the front fender down to the metal that needs repaired, it has a small chip on the gas tank that has been covered, don't know the mileage. ~$7000

The second bike is a 2008 Vulcan Classic Custom (mag wheels, thinner tires, smaller/shorter fenders) it has bags and windshield, 3300 miles, no scratches. But I don't like the styling of the skinny tires and fender. $6800

My brain is vapor locked trying to make a decision... I need some arguments for one over the other. Personally I'm leaning toward the 2006 because I like the styling better. The salesman suggested the mag wheels on the '08 will be lower maintenance but that the bigger tires on the '06 will ride smoother. I suspect they would give me the bags off the '08 to make the deal. But the '06 needs the paint repaired. Overall, except for the scratch the paint on the 06 looks slightly better like it was garage kept while the 08 has just a tiny hint of fading. My left brain says the '08 is newer for the same price; my right brain argues the 06 has better styling. I need some tie breaking thoughts.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
On the note of bikes that exist:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1169810519.html

Price is really good at 2,000, miles arent that high, and I like the naked looks. Larger engine than my current bike, but less HP and about the same torque. Also looks like the handbars are higher which might help with my distance riding. Anyone have experience with this bike?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

wormil posted:

the bigger tires on the '06 will ride smoother. I suspect they would give me the bags off the '08 to make the deal.

Assuming the '06 has <5K miles, that's my answer. I don't like the styling of that Custom. At all.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Linky link.

quote:

1977 Yamaha RD 400 - $600

Runs great, starts with the first kick, however, it does need a new clutch, which is why I'm selling it so cheap. Definitely a great bike for a collector of sorts. I really don't want to part with it but I want an enduro. $600 stiff. Contact blah blah blah

I don't really need another project but drat I really like the sound of this one.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Synonamess Botch posted:

Linky link.

I don't really need another project but drat I really like the sound of this one.

The RD400 is a great project bike and you'll have lots of fun with it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

BigHustle posted:

Max Power - 68 hp @ 7500 rpm
Max Torque - 49 lb-ft @ 6000 rpm

Sounds OK if I take it easy, right?

Its not a bad bike at all but I'd still prefer the KZ. The KZ has a little less horsepower (64hp) but it also has a little less weight. The KZ also has the benefit of a standard riding position while the Shadow of that era was sort of a cruiser type position. The KZ also has a larger fuel tank and better handling.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Linky link.

Oh god that is a fantastic deal :(

Simkin
May 18, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Anyone have experience with this bike?

Ooooh! Ooooh! Pickmepickmepickme!

I've owned a 2002 ZR-7S (the faired version) for a bit over a year. It's a fantastic bike, it's been stupidly reliable, comfortable, and even gets good mileage (for an aircooled 750, 5l/100km is pretty damned good). That seems like a pretty solid price for it, especially if you don't need to replace the tyres, and the mileage is low, too. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I'm always hoping that someone else on the board will end up riding one. I'm starting to feel outnumbered by the slavering Essvee horde. :zombie:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Simkin posted:

Ooooh! Ooooh! Pickmepickmepickme!

I've owned a 2002 ZR-7S (the faired version) for a bit over a year. It's a fantastic bike, it's been stupidly reliable, comfortable, and even gets good mileage (for an aircooled 750, 5l/100km is pretty damned good). That seems like a pretty solid price for it, especially if you don't need to replace the tyres, and the mileage is low, too. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I'm always hoping that someone else on the board will end up riding one. I'm starting to feel outnumbered by the slavering Essvee horde. :zombie:

How long does it take for the ZR7 to warm up fully? What is maintenance and valve adjustment stuff like? Could you take any pictures of the handlebar setup and maybe the average seating position?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Phy posted:

Don't forget the Guzzi V7 Classic.

You have just found me a bike :swoon:

exactly what I was looking for. Now I feel obligated to pick up some old school halcyon goggles to wear with it.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

How long does it take for the ZR7 to warm up fully? What is maintenance and valve adjustment stuff like? Could you take any pictures of the handlebar setup and maybe the average seating position?

From stone cold to riding away, in 10*C weather, is about 30 seconds. Usually I just put the choke full on, crank the bike, put my helmet and gloves on, and it's ready to go.

Regular maintenance like air/oil filters, plugs, chain, etc. has been really straightforward. Even with the bikini fairing, there's nothing obstructing pretty much any of the vital components. Valve adjustments are every 10,000km, and are a bit of a pain, the first time around (if you have to make any adjustments, that is). They use a shim under bucket design, which means you need to pop the cams out. If they're in spec, obviously you just button the valve cover back up, and away you go. I think to just get to into the head and measure the valves should take something like 30-45 mins.

The first time I did it, I had a few that were waaay out of spec, and it was also my very first time adjusting valves. I made a pretty big mess of it, and had to take the cams out and put them back in about six times, just because I was so hopeless. Pro tip: put the shims in the little space on top of the valve spring retainer - don't trust that the little magnet will stay nicely centered on the valve bucket. :downs:

I took some pictures a short while ago showing the seating position and handlebar setup, so you're in luck.

Handlebar and instrument setup:

:cthulhu:

I'm 190cm, and the bike fits me really, really well. It looks in the pictures like there'd be a lot of loading of my wrists, but I never found that was the case. I'm a little tall to really enjoy much benefit from the windscreen, although it does a good job of keeping my midsection dry and warm.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/1171139361.html

HEH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

*tries to work out logistics of getting unneeded bike from VT to OH*