Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Kessel posted:

It isn't a total waste; you can generally get some use out of all those wasted areas.

In the above instance, all those mid-dungeon traps and puzzles could always find their way into another dungeon.

Hell, the party only saw two rooms, just erase the stream and reuse it as-is. They'd never recognise it.

When I DMed, I reused locations constantly. Nobody remembers dungeon layouts. they must have fought that same Ice Wraith three or four times.

EDIT: Oh, hello new page.

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Gorilla Radio posted:

I never was able to play pen and paper (There's no community at all in Srbija). So I am wondering if there are any tales of LARP griefing, because if I had the chance, I would make bard characters actually sing and play instruments and make songs, and I would "roll" for them based on how much I liked the songs.

A little late, but...

I have a friend who would go LARPing in the bush in Edmonton back in the late 80's/early 90's and act like a real jackass. He had a high level enchanter or something and would spend his day charming people and forcing them to be his footstool while he sat in a camping chair and drank beer. Also, if there was someone who he didn't particularly like he would bind their soul to a rock and whip it into the middle of a lake or stream and force the guy to stand in the water where the rock landed and wait.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

This thread convinced me to try DnD for the first time. I knew one of my friends played it, and tagged along. After spending an hour learning the rules and rolling a character, I was introduced to the rest of the group. The DM was a weird kid I knew back in middle school, and he was just as weird as ever. The other guys looked normal enough, and then I started playing. Here's what happened, play by play style.

-My character was introduced Morrowind style, falling from the sky due to a misfired spell or something. This is the only thing I enjoyed the entire time.
-They were playing dungeons and dragons in a Wizard of Oz setting :wtc:
-Me showing up triggered violence and two of the guys started attacking me for no reason.
-I learned that one of the guys is playing a 3 foot tall dog, I look at him and notice he's wearing a dog collar :barf:
-After things finally calm down, one of them attempts to rape my character with a pet tenticle monster. Lucky rolling saved me of that.
-We finally actually start playing the game, and encounter a giant purple worm or something. It's at this point I decide that DnD is not for me, and I decide I'll play for a bit longer and then leave forever.
-We kill the worm, wooptedoo.
-The DM decides its sleeping time, and I decide I'm ready to leave.
-I manage to steal almost everything one of the guys has, and then leave the party and game for good.

Minor griefing, but god that was a horrible experience. Hadn't these people ever heard of a shower? I think me and my friend were the only sane people.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Man, we should all get together and do some online DnD nonsense. Goons make the best [worst] players. :iamafag:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Emalde posted:

Man, we should all get together and do some online DnD nonsense. Goons make the best [worst] players. :iamafag:

I'm down. I think the best we ever griefed a DM was in this one game, he'd made this kingdom in distress that had tons of different factions all brawling through political intrigue, assassinations, outright warfare, etc. The DM spent at least 8 weeks thinking we were brilliantly playing various factions off one another building up to some grand scheme until he figured out that me and another player were literally just rolling dice to decide whether or not to betray a given group at a given time. Even after discovering this, he was amazed that after ultimately saving the kingdom and installing a just and good monarch, the two of us looted the castle treasury during the coronation and flew off on a flying carpet, stranding the rest of the party to deal with the angry mobs.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

coyo7e posted:

^^^^^ Has anyone besides me played Rolemaster? The great thing about that system (besides open-ended critical rolls and skill bonuses,) is that certain dice rolls are gauranteed to cause weird poo poo to happen, on top of successes and failures all being potentially open-ended.

If you roll eleventy-one (111) in Rolemaster, it's always a critical success, far far better than rolling 100 and getting to roll again and add the total together. Also there is uhh, I think 66, which is a gauranteed bizarre occurrence.. Climbing a wall with a spiderclimb item that requires 3-point contact with the surface in question? Roll a 66 and a rat comes out of a handhold, goes up your sleeve, into your shirt and pants, causing you to fall 75 feet onto solid carved rock floor. :D

...I'm not positive if this was a set part of the loremaster rules or something our GM had come up with, but 111 and 66 were always interesting outcomes on the roll charts.
There is a (probably substantial) subset of Game Masters who can only stand letting the game be played their way, having puzzles be solved their way, and every encounter must go according to whatever the GM has already imagined will take place.

As anyone who's played a tabletop rpg or strategy game knows, it's easier to herd cats. I tried GMing and I simply couldn't think fast enough on my feet to come up with new stuff; sometimes it really can be frustrating to get a whole adventure planned, map out dungeons and monsters and treasure, figure out a premise to get everyone to the entrance of the dungeon...

Then someone goes, "Hey look, a rare butterfly!" And suddenly some completely asinine plan comes out of groupthink, and before you know it the entire party is off chasing bugs to sell to alchemists or some poo poo.

I'm totally a griefable DM, that's why I don't run campaigns. ;)

You, me, and The General. :downs::hf::hfive:

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Emalde posted:

If a friendly DM would help me learn the ropes, I would consider trying the game one more time.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

coyo7e posted:

^^^^^ Has anyone besides me played Rolemaster? The great thing about that system (besides open-ended critical rolls and skill bonuses,) is that certain dice rolls are gauranteed to cause weird poo poo to happen, on top of successes and failures all being potentially open-ended.

If you roll eleventy-one (111) in Rolemaster, it's always a critical success, far far better than rolling 100 and getting to roll again and add the total together. Also there is uhh, I think 66, which is a gauranteed bizarre occurrence.. Climbing a wall with a spiderclimb item that requires 3-point contact with the surface in question? Roll a 66 and a rat comes out of a handhold, goes up your sleeve, into your shirt and pants, causing you to fall 75 feet onto solid carved rock floor. :D

...I'm not positive if this was a set part of the loremaster rules or something our GM had come up with, but 111 and 66 were always interesting outcomes on the roll charts.

I play that and it is totally awesome. Critically fail at speaking magical language? Congratulations, you've just managed to open a lesser demonic gate and whatsoever is coming out will NOT be very happy. Still it could've been worse. It could've been the power manipulation skill and you would have torn the very fabric of the plane creating a small void that consumes anything in its path. Not to mention the great comments for the tables with weapon crits. "Shot through both ears makes life difficult for foe." :)

Anyway, back before Swat 4 (at least I think it was swat 4) was released they had this free multiplayer beta with swat vs terrorists/criminals/whatever. I was bored so I logged on as a swat member and quickly discovered the joys of a taser gun and friendly fire turned on. If you got hit by the taser you'd be frozen in place in a weird twitching position that left you at the mercy of anyone near you. Quite frustrating but also hilarious. People were quite quick in tasering back and even quicker in drawing their guns. The confusion and panic started spreading and soon the swat spawn point was a huge pile of corpses as people were gunned down in a glorious paranoid free for all massacre.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Xinlum posted:

a bad D&D experience

I think you just found a terrible group. The strange Wizard of Oz setting and the dog collar are just two hints at a larger problem.

If you can find a competent GM and a chill group of friends willing to make poo poo up on the fly, give D&D another shot. Tabletops really give you the sort of freedom video game RPGs simply can't by design.

Also, consider finding a group that is using the new edition of D&D (4th ed). They've streamlined the system tremendously so it's more intuitive for new players. Some old farts don't like it - but it's genuinely more accessible and as long as you have a good group you'll lose none of the depth the old editions had.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Kessel posted:

I think you just found a terrible group. The strange Wizard of Oz setting and the dog collar are just two hints at a larger problem.

If you can find a competent GM and a chill group of friends willing to make poo poo up on the fly, give D&D another shot. Tabletops really give you the sort of freedom video game RPGs simply can't by design.

Also, consider finding a group that is using the new edition of D&D (4th ed). They've streamlined the system tremendously so it's more intuitive for new players. Some old farts don't like it - but it's genuinely more accessible and as long as you have a good group you'll lose none of the depth the old editions had.

I think I played 4th. I heard that spells used to be only used once day. I had at-will spells and junk, so I assume that it is what I played. Anyway, if I could play online via IRC or something I would be interested in learning the rest of the rules and seeing if I like it or not.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Welcome, nerds!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=103

Emalde
May 3, 2007

:doh: That whole subforum makes a lot more sense now.

The_Censorship_Nazi
Jan 1, 2008
Banned in over 52 nations since 1946!

Emalde posted:

:doh: That whole subforum makes a lot more sense now.

Hey, sometimes, things aren't normally the most obvious. I know I've had a tendency to spend more time up in the regular Games forum and the LP subforum. Maybe I should take a look at some of these threads and see if there are any games I'd want to join in.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
This thread has made me really want to play D&D, does anyone ever do online newbie D&D groups?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Delamore posted:

This thread has made me really want to play D&D, does anyone ever do online newbie D&D groups?

Yeah, I'd be interested in trying some online DnD, but I'm a total newbie, really, so I'd like to have a newbie-friendly game; most of the threads I saw in TD seemed to be comprised of people who knew what they were doing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Colbear posted:

Yeah, I'd be interested in trying some online DnD, but I'm a total newbie, really, so I'd like to have a newbie-friendly game; most of the threads I saw in TD seemed to be comprised of people who knew what they were doing.

Most people are willing to have a newbie in their game, and if you want to hang out and ask questions, stop by #partyhard on synirc.

</derail>

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Delamore posted:

Happyelf ran one a few weeks/months back and I think Mikan or someone else was planning on running a new one to get people to use Maptool and stop using play by post. Keep an eye on trad games discussion, the subforum that no one knows exists.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Newbies go here. We need more people.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3116226

It's different than TG because we run games in real time with maptools. I know you'll be all "bluh bluh bluh YCS" but the games themselves are serious, just not the thread.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Drox posted:

Newbies go here. We need more people.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3116226

It's different than TG because we run games in real time with maptools. I know you'll be all "bluh bluh bluh YCS" but the games themselves are serious, just not the thread.

This thread is 327 pages long. Does it actually begin anywhere?

E: digging the pictures in that thread, pizza is the best :v:

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Emalde posted:

This thread is 327 pages long. Does it actually begin anywhere?

Half of that is two posters arguing about alignment in 3rd edition. It's a great thread.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Drox posted:

Half of that is two posters arguing about alignment in 3rd edition. It's a great thread.

Do not listen to this man

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

Happyelf ran one a few weeks/months back and I think Mikan or someone else was planning on running a new one to get people to use Maptool and stop using play by post. Keep an eye on trad games discussion, the subforum that no one knows exists.

Yes. I'm posting the thread Sunday or Monday. I'm going to run three or four intro games over the course of the month.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

Mikan posted:

Yes. I'm posting the thread Sunday or Monday. I'm going to run three or four intro games over the course of the month.

Through posts or something like IRC?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Delamore posted:

Through posts or something like IRC?

Maptool virtual tabletop software

Click here for the full 606x377 image.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Can you email me whenever you post the thread? I'd really like to give DnD a good try before I write it off. Just remove the NOSPAM part.

d_gundeNOSPAM@yahoo.com

Xinlum fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 10, 2009

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Xinlum posted:

Minor griefing, but god that was a horrible experience. Hadn't these people ever heard of a shower? I think me and my friend were the only sane people.
Wow, sounds like you found the D&D game run by the local goth crowd.. Those are always bad, usually they just fap over vampire poo poo and try to get themselves cursed with something powerful.

This is why they make audio collaboration software, so people can P&P online and not have to see the fat pathetic slobs they are mirrored as.

Delamore posted:

I have been tempted lately to join the Gamers With Jobs podcast' P&P game, they have a forum with a lot of older, more established (as humans) players, and I'm sure they'll be friendlier to a rusty player or newbie than goons might be. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 10, 2009

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Wow, sounds like you found the D&D game run by the local goth crowd.. Those are always bad, usually they just fap over vampire poo poo and try to get themselves cursed with something powerful.

They were just weird nerds. I considered myself a nerdy person, but god drat this was bad. "They were to nerds what nerds are to normal people", to quote some random thing I can't remember at the moment.

Halfway through my experience one of them decided to test my "nerd cred" by asking if I played various games or went to 4chan. I said I was a somethingawful person, they decided they would attack me when I entered the game (and then attempt a rape).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
While hilarious, I'd probably give up or hash it out right there. They don't sound the kind to deal with a normal human conversation and compromise - you basically joined HellMOO or YCS is what it sounds like, and even most of those people have the common decency to keep that poo poo in check IRL.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

coyo7e posted:

While hilarious, I'd probably give up or hash it out right there. They don't sound the kind to deal with a normal human conversation and compromise - you basically joined HellMOO or YCS is what it sounds like, and even most of those people have the common decency to keep that poo poo in check IRL.

Hence the reason I tried to get away as soon as I could. I'm not rude/I hate hurting people's feelings, so I had to stay for at least a little bit so I could pretend there was a different reason for leaving.

Anyway, I'm dragging the thread too far off topic. Back to the hilarious griefs please.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Xinlum posted:

Hence the reason I tried to get away as soon as I could. I'm not rude/I hate hurting people's feelings, so I had to stay for at least a little bit so I could pretend there was a different reason for leaving.

Anyway, I'm dragging the thread too far off topic. Back to the hilarious griefs please.

I don't know about you, I think a D&D player with a dog collar is pretty hilarious :haw:

Avoid those groups like the plague.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

One of the reasons I don't play tabletop/rpg stuff anymore is that many of players are horrendous nerds. And as you said, I mean horrendous nerds TO nerds. They're just seriously socially damaged/undeveloped people, and those aren't the type I dig hanging out with.

Now, if you can get yourself a GOOD random group of people, it can be a shitload of fun.

My old 40k group was completely awesome, but when I moved, I couldn't find a group I was comfortable playing with again, so all my gaming junk is rotting in the closet or on a shelf.

Just like anything in life, if you mix 4-6 random people in a group activity, you're not always going to come up aces, and in something as inherently geeky as tabletop gaming, your odds are even worse.

All that said, don't let it turn you off from dnd (or whatever tabletop game). I don't know if the goon online groups are any good, but I'd give them a shot before shelving it.

noss
Jun 10, 2003
I was a teenage abortion

Q-tank posted:

I've decided to play the game a new way - fastest loss.
We were doing Golf Scoring the other night. Six round of rage quits later...

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

RandomFerret posted:

Hell, the party only saw two rooms, just erase the stream and reuse it as-is. They'd never recognise it.

When I DMed, I reused locations constantly. Nobody remembers dungeon layouts. they must have fought that same Ice Wraith three or four times.

EDIT: Oh, hello new page.

This is what happened later, the problem is we know him so the look on his face gave away that we had just wrecked his plans.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

TyrsHTML posted:

This is what happened later, the problem is we know him so the look on his face gave away that we had just wrecked his plans.

Wouldn't that be a common occurrence with that Stone Shape spell, though? I've never played D&D, but from the anecdote, it sounds ridiculously abusable to allow a mage to just carve his own path through a dungeon. Seems like it would make "Get to the bottom" or "survive the maze" maps pretty pointless.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Phenotype posted:

Wouldn't that be a common occurrence with that Stone Shape spell, though? I've never played D&D, but from the anecdote, it sounds ridiculously abusable to allow a mage to just carve his own path through a dungeon. Seems like it would make "Get to the bottom" or "survive the maze" maps pretty pointless.

Its rare that these sorta things are just one level and it'd take a lot of luck to reach the end of the dungeon with just a single stone shape.

Plus there's always the comedy 200' drop that looks like a 10' one.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Phenotype posted:

You think that's bad, you don't know how to grief your DM. Next time you have to eliminate a subterranian menace, the best solution is just to use a few dozen stone shape and move earth spells to redirect the nearest river directly into the mouth of the dungeon. Suck it, cannibal cultists!

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I figured that there is too much D&D talk so here's a video of some people raging in a zombie mod.I don't get how some people can honestly get that angry.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
I honestly wouldn't have found it strange that GM had just said that Stone Shape just doesn't work there, since I find it likely that any ancient tomb filled with treasures where Stone Shape worked, would have at least five new entrances into it half hour after it was sealed. And the makers probably knew about Stone Shape.

3e was somewhat bad about this, some of the spells were just broken.

Buggerlugs
Aug 27, 2003

"All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did well, but everybody
thinks that he's the saviour, he's Jesus Christ. He's not Jesus Christ"
Any chance we can get back to griefing and you D&D nerds roll whatever the hell it is to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

So Nasty posted:

Any chance we can get back to griefing and you D&D nerds roll whatever the hell it is to leave.

Yeah, if you have more D&D stories, share them in the best or the worst experiences thread.

• Locked thread