Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
How can I put this... if you're getting better than 40mpg, you have a lot of midrange power you're giving up. :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nerobro posted:

How can I put this... if you're getting better than 40mpg, you have a lot of midrange power you're giving up. :-)

I get 42 MPG on my regular city/a-to-b runs, and I won't mess with it. If I need more power I'll get another bike.

I really felt a difference on the carb sync while riding, much smoother and better throttle response off idle. The smoothness was particularly noticed in high revs, low throttle, like after shifting down and waiting for oncoming traffic to go past before passing.

I bought a Colortune as well, a see-through spark plug to tune mixture with. Didn't work. :( I could see it was sparking, but it wasn't igniting the charge. Perhaps the spark sits too high compared to the stock plugs. I'll send the seller a mail. But at least I noticed my bike idles surprisingly well on 3 cylinders.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just for my own curiosity, what does the crank on a 2-stroke triple look like? I'm imagining gloriously ridiculous 120º offsets.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Some are. The Suzuki triples were 120 deg offsets.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

tayl0r posted:

Lame =(

I found the pdf version of the owners manual for a Yamaha Virago on a Yamaha website... if only Honda were as cool.

I'm gonna go check out this Virago tonight and pick it up if it looks ok.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1162746529.html

I've got a 2001 Shadow 750 ACE. The chain slack should be between 3/4 to 1 3/8 inches. Seems that 1" is right in the middle, anywhere close to that is good. Also, make sure you use the tightest point in the chain to measure the slack, chains don't wear evenly all the way around and the measurement can vary a bit.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Dumb question should my sightglass for oil look full while the bike is on the kickstand? I put in the proper amount of oil, 3.1 quarts and the sightglass is full if the bike is standing straight up but not if the kickstand is down and its leaned over, also should it look completely full or half or 3/4 or what?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
It should look exactly half full while the bike is straight upright. This is universal, AFAIK.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MrKatharsis posted:

It should look exactly half full while the bike is straight upright. This is universal, AFAIK.

Yeah, you check it straight up. It will never look right when it's leaned.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Ok, that is what I thought and what I did. Just wanted to make sure I was in the right there.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

MrKatharsis posted:

Yea to add to this look at it with the bike sitting on the tires, not the center stand. I topped mine off on the center stand and it is like .4qts overfilled. Not blasting oil out the ears or anything so I am leaving it till the next oil change since I can't easily drain it out without draining all of it out.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

dietcokefiend posted:

Yea to add to this look at it with the bike sitting on the tires, not the center stand. I topped mine off on the center stand and it is like .4qts overfilled. Not blasting oil out the ears or anything so I am leaving it till the next oil change since I can't easily drain it out without draining all of it out.

I did it on the kickstand and put 1/2 a quart to much in... I realised what I'd done so I drained the extra and rebottled it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

tayl0r posted:

My brother just bought a 1992 Honda Shadow and I can't find the owner's manual anywhere online. Does anyone know where to get it (other than order it from Honda from some absurd price)?

This is his first bike (mine too, I'm a noob also) and we need to adjust the chain. I watched some howto videos online and it seems like I need to read the owner's manual to know how much "give" the chain should have when it is properly adjusted. I'm sure there is a lot of other stuff in the owner's manual too since when I took the MSF class the answer to every maintenance question was "Read the owner's manual".

Get a Clymer service manual instead. It's far more useful than an owner's manual.

http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Shadow-1100Cc-V-Twin-1985-1996/dp/0892876808/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242325884&sr=8-6

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

tayl0r posted:

My brother just bought a 1992 Honda Shadow and I can't find the owner's manual anywhere online. Does anyone know where to get it (other than order it from Honda from some absurd price)?

This is his first bike (mine too, I'm a noob also) and we need to adjust the chain. I watched some howto videos online and it seems like I need to read the owner's manual to know how much "give" the chain should have when it is properly adjusted. I'm sure there is a lot of other stuff in the owner's manual too since when I took the MSF class the answer to every maintenance question was "Read the owner's manual".

If he wants to drop a few bucks for a year's subscription to the HRCA, he'll get inclusive access to one (model/year) online service manual per year. They're kind of a bitch to print out, but hey you can pick and choose or just take an hour and print every page like I did. The service manual will tell you a whole hell of a lot more (exploded assembly diagrams of every component, wiring chart, maintenance info, etc.) than an owner's manual, and I think a year of hrca is only like $16 or something.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 14, 2009

tayl0r
Oct 3, 2002
This post brought to you by SOE
poo poo, $27 for the service manual ain't bad. Thanks guys!

I ended up buying the 1993 535cc Virago for myself ($1150). I picked it up and drove it home this morning. It was my longest ride ever (5 miles)! It needs a tiny bit of work. It's got no left mirror and the front brake is sticking a tiny bit, which makes it hard to roll since you can tell the front brake slightly engaged. Shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Because it is air cooled (no radiator), what types of things should I look out for? Does it give any indication when it is overheating? I didn't notice any temperature gauges.

I live in San Diego so it rarely gets above 100 degrees.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

tayl0r posted:

poo poo, $27 for the service manual ain't bad. Thanks guys!

I ended up buying the 1993 535cc Virago for myself ($1150). I picked it up and drove it home this morning. It was my longest ride ever (5 miles)! It needs a tiny bit of work. It's got no left mirror and the front brake is sticking a tiny bit, which makes it hard to roll since you can tell the front brake slightly engaged. Shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Because it is air cooled (no radiator), what types of things should I look out for? Does it give any indication when it is overheating? I didn't notice any temperature gauges.

I live in San Diego so it rarely gets above 100 degrees.

It's overheating when your legs start baking.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're stuck in a huge traffic jam in weather over 100 degrees. And since you're in CA you shouldn't ever get stuck in traffic, so...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

They design the bikes to handle heat. They're ok untill they stop running. for all intents and purposes. The big indicator of a GS overheating is it stops responding to throttle well. But that ONLY happens when sitting in 90 degree heat in the middle of a parking lot.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

My bike has a tendency to headshake at speeds approaching 100mph ... which is about the top end of the bike ('09 DR650SE). Is this normal? There's no damage, I've checked the spokes, none are loose. I swear it doesn't ALWAYS do it, as I know I've had it up there without it doing that. Makes me think it's related to wind?

Would a steering dampener fix this? Do they even MAKE steering dampeners for DRs?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If it was an alignment thing, I'd think it'd be happening more often, but you might do an alignment of your front forks anyway, just to be sure. Also, the DR's got a big sail of a front fender, which at 100mph might be contributing to instability - KLR guys bitch about the same thing.

I'm not sure these bikes should be running at top end for any great length of time anyway, given the horror stories about cylinder wall deformation on the KLR boards.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Krakkles posted:

My bike has a tendency to headshake at speeds approaching 100mph ... which is about the top end of the bike ('09 DR650SE). Is this normal? There's no damage, I've checked the spokes, none are loose. I swear it doesn't ALWAYS do it, as I know I've had it up there without it doing that. Makes me think it's related to wind?

Would a steering dampener fix this? Do they even MAKE steering dampeners for DRs?

Don't go 100mph? :haw:

Yes, they make steering dampers for DRs...usually headshake at that speed is because you've got little to no weight over the front end of the bike, so raising the forks in the triples can help restore some weight to the front end. Worth a shot if you're going to be doing 100 a lot. :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Z3n posted:

Don't go 100mph? :haw:
A good suggestion, and just to put it out there - it's not something I do often. I'll avoid it :)

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Phat_Albert posted:

How long ago did you purchase yours? From what I understand they've been steadily improving it.
February of this year, I think.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The fact that I've been looking for a watch to keep on my handlebars and that woot now has this deal ... I'm pretty sure the universe wants me dead. I'm buying one though!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Krakkles posted:

How are your tires? Oh man, I thought there was something wrong with my steering head bearings until I got new tires.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

How are your tires? Oh man, I thought there was something wrong with my steering head bearings until I got new tires.
Pretty sure they're good. My rear was replaced ~1000 miles ago, front has ~4500 on it. Even wear, good tread.

Z3n, you mentioned there may not be enough weight at the front - would it help to try to move forward/put more weight on the bars? I always feel like that will accentuate/make worse the shaking.

tayl0r
Oct 3, 2002
Can I register my bike in California without showing proof of insurance?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

tayl0r posted:

Yes, I registered my bike a few weeks ago without proof.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
This is gonna sound like a pretty stupid question...

How do you guys consistently fill your gas tank? I'm in CA, so we've got those vapor capture things on the pumps, which require the nozzle to be either inserted decently far into the tank (making it click off well before the tank is really full), or require me to hold the vapor thing back by hand, simultaneously defeating its purpose, setting me up for a mess, and giving me an inconsistent "full" level. I'm trying to gauge fuel economy on a tank to tank basis, but if I'm putting in +/- .25 gallons (or more) each time, I'm not getting even a semi-accurate measurement. This is a 2004 EX250.

Should I just not worry about it as much? Figuring my fuel economy at every fill up has been ingrained in me since I started driving. :(

tayl0r
Oct 3, 2002

BlueBayou posted:

Yes, I registered my bike a few weeks ago without proof.

Ahh, looks like the law changed in 2006. I'm pretty sure when I moved to CA back in 2001 I had to show proof of insurance when I registered my car.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr18.htm#accevid

Thanks BlueBayou.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

sirbeefalot posted:

This is gonna sound like a pretty stupid question...

How do you guys consistently fill your gas tank? I'm in CA, so we've got those vapor capture things on the pumps, which require the nozzle to be either inserted decently far into the tank (making it click off well before the tank is really full), or require me to hold the vapor thing back by hand, simultaneously defeating its purpose, setting me up for a mess, and giving me an inconsistent "full" level. I'm trying to gauge fuel economy on a tank to tank basis, but if I'm putting in +/- .25 gallons (or more) each time, I'm not getting even a semi-accurate measurement. This is a 2004 EX250.

Should I just not worry about it as much? Figuring my fuel economy at every fill up has been ingrained in me since I started driving. :(

I barely insert the nozzle into the tank. As long as the nozzle is touching the edge of the tank, it's safe... just don't use the handle lock thing, do it by hand. Also, I sit on the bike while I fuel up and have the bike fully upright.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Same here, but I'm not dealing with vapor recovery. How is it "setting you up for a mess"? As long as you can see around the boot, you should be able to see the fuel nearing the top of the tank, no?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

tayl0r posted:

They didn't even ask to see mine for a title transfer+registration. This was as of 3 days ago. However I was flirting mercilessly with the chick behind counter. She actually gave me $150 off my fee's.

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 15, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Krakkles posted:

I'm pretty sure the universe wants me dead.

Man, I know what I'm getting, should I ever get a dirtbike.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Bucephalus posted:

Same here, but I'm not dealing with vapor recovery. How is it "setting you up for a mess"? As long as you can see around the boot, you should be able to see the fuel nearing the top of the tank, no?

That gas comes out awful fast. I fill a lot of construction equipment, little trenchers, SK's, things like that and it's pretty much a forgone conclusion for me to spill at least a little on me. I've found the best way is to angle the nozzle just a bit and really feather the lever. It's slow, yeah, but gas sucks.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Pretty sure they're good. My rear was replaced ~1000 miles ago, front has ~4500 on it. Even wear, good tread.

What kind of tires are you running? Big DOT knobbies like to wander around at speed. My Husky got really spooky above 60mph with the stock tires, but when I moved to less aggressive Dunlop D606's the problem went away.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

anyone know if it's possible to weld a crack in an alloy rim? or is that asking for a highside

It only might be possible, some aluminum alloys don't weld well.

Edit: Wait, what page was I reading?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Chairon posted:

That gas comes out awful fast. I fill a lot of construction equipment, little trenchers, SK's, things like that and it's pretty much a forgone conclusion for me to spill at least a little on me. I've found the best way is to angle the nozzle just a bit and really feather the lever. It's slow, yeah, but gas sucks.

Do you guys just eyeball it then? How far from the top should I stop to avoid overfilling?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

wzm posted:

What kind of tires are you running? Big DOT knobbies like to wander around at speed. My Husky got really spooky above 60mph with the stock tires, but when I moved to less aggressive Dunlop D606's the problem went away.

Trailwings, IIRC. Stockers for a DR.

sirbeefalot posted:

Do you guys just eyeball it then? How far from the top should I stop to avoid overfilling?

I usually put it all the way in, fill til it clicks, then eyeball it up holding the recovery fitting from there. I don't know how you guys are having such trouble, though ... I don't think I've ever spilled gas like this.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Trailwings, IIRC. Stockers for a DR.

Trailwings are affectionately known as deathwings. I had some on my KLR and it would have a bit of a wiggle at 65+ mph. I'm impressed you can get a DR650 to 100 mph.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I would think it's either tires or possibly your wheels not being quite true because it is a dirtbike that I hope you ride offroad.

Of course they make dampers for the bike. I actually just got one for my YZ250 and I'm pretty stoked to try it out. Scotts has mounting kits for their dampers on their site for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Taelrin posted:

Trailwings are affectionately known as deathwings. I had some on my KLR and it would have a bit of a wiggle at 65+ mph. I'm impressed you can get a DR650 to 100 mph.

That nickname is one I've heard before, and I always think it must be REALLY nice to ride on other tires because I feel pretty comfortable on these. Thank you ;)

n8r posted:

I would think it's either tires or possibly your wheels not being quite true because it is a dirtbike that I hope you ride offroad.

Of course they make dampers for the bike. I actually just got one for my YZ250 and I'm pretty stoked to try it out. Scotts has mounting kits for their dampers on their site for it.

It is, I do, and I checked. They're true :)