Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Is it possible to remove surface scratches from visors? :( I was walking along, helmet in hand, and it brushed against a wall. It's right infront of my eye. I have a new one to use in the meantime but I'd rather not spend another £27 if it happens again and I can repair the old one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Not with anything that will give to a finish like a new one. Most of the plastic polishing compounds I have used leave some mild haze, which might be tolerable on a plastic windscreen for example, but would distract too much from a visor covering your eyes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Krakkles posted:

The fact that I've been looking for a watch to keep on my handlebars and that woot now has this deal ... I'm pretty sure the universe wants me dead. I'm buying one though!

Christ, things I should never own if I bought a supermoto. You could drop the front on the bike to try and get rid of the headshake, but I think that n8r's suggestion is probably more dead on than mine. Tires will make all the difference in the world.

tayl0r posted:

Can I register my bike in California without showing proof of insurance?

You can, but they will suspend your registration if if they don't get insurance confirmation from an insurance company within some period of time, probably around month or so.

sirbeefalot posted:

This is gonna sound like a pretty stupid question...

How do you guys consistently fill your gas tank? I'm in CA, so we've got those vapor capture things on the pumps, which require the nozzle to be either inserted decently far into the tank (making it click off well before the tank is really full), or require me to hold the vapor thing back by hand, simultaneously defeating its purpose, setting me up for a mess, and giving me an inconsistent "full" level. I'm trying to gauge fuel economy on a tank to tank basis, but if I'm putting in +/- .25 gallons (or more) each time, I'm not getting even a semi-accurate measurement. This is a 2004 EX250.

Should I just not worry about it as much? Figuring my fuel economy at every fill up has been ingrained in me since I started driving. :(

I always fill mine to bottom of the fill cap. I also fill mine with the bike upright, sitting on it, because otherwise you'll never get the tank actually full. You could use the centerstand on your 250 if you felt so inclined. After a little while you'll get used to tailing off the pressure on the lever so that you can do it without splashing gas everywhere.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Z3n posted:

I always fill mine to bottom of the fill cap. I also fill mine with the bike upright, sitting on it, because otherwise you'll never get the tank actually full. You could use the centerstand on your 250 if you felt so inclined. After a little while you'll get used to tailing off the pressure on the lever so that you can do it without splashing gas everywhere.

It depends on the bike. On my Vulcan, you fill it on the side stand because the cap is set slightly to the side of the tank. On the side stand, the cap is at the highest point. The problem is that you can't top it off 'cause when the bike is upright, the cap is at a slightly lower position and gas spills out of the overfill tube.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Krakkles posted:

... I don't think I've ever spilled gas like this.

Neither have I, I'm just being paranoid about it is all.

I'll just keep filling the way I do I guess. I might try the upright bike thing next time, though.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

sirbeefalot posted:

Neither have I, I'm just being paranoid about it is all.

I'll just keep filling the way I do I guess. I might try the upright bike thing next time, though.

Just go REALLY slow at the very end. The only times I've ever spilled gas on my bike was when there was still some gas in the nozzle and when I bring it over, it dumps on my tank. :argh:

Make sure you don't tilt the nozzle down until you get it over the opening.

I also hold my gloved hand under the nozzle when returning it to catch stray drops ala Easy Rider. Who says biker movies aren't educational?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Doctor Zero posted:

I also hold my gloved hand under the nozzle when returning it to catch stray drops ala Easy Rider. Who says biker movies aren't educational?

Are you concerned about that damaging the leather in the gloves? I just have gasoline fights with other gas stop patrons with the stuff left in the hose.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Are you concerned about that damaging the leather in the gloves? I just have gasoline fights with other gas stop patrons with the stuff left in the hose.

And who says Zoolander wasnt an educational movie either?

tayl0r
Oct 3, 2002
This post brought to you by SOE
drat, my brother tried to register our bikes with the old Title forms filled out but the DMV said he needed a Bill Of Sale too =(

Apparently we got a temporary registration until we can get a Bill Of Sale.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Stoopid question here: Does California have motorcycle inspections like other states?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Stoopid question here: Does California have motorcycle inspections like other states?

Nope. No smog (yet), no safety inspections.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

Krakkles posted:

Nope. No smog (yet), no safety inspections.

What states do have these safety inspections? (Please don't say New York)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The NonBornKing posted:

I've only lived in Cali, so I don't know for sure. I know on cars a lot of the eastern seaboard seems to have them...I thought NY but could be wrong. It may be different between cars/bikes though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The NonBornKing posted:

Virginia does! Thankfully, anywhere that inspects cars has to inspect bikes, meaning even the shittiest gas station inspection station will do it, but won't make a big deal of it since they're losing money once they hit 15 minutes. I know of one where as long as you ride up, they'll pass you. I should note that the place I went to was just finishing up a car, and told the guy he needed new wiper blades and charged him $40 for them.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Is there an easy way to remove a helmet visor? I got some no fog spray, but its hard to get it on the inside of the visor.

Also is there any reason not to remove the stickers that identify the maker of the helmet. I have an all black KBC helmet, and the big silver KBC sticker on the front looks out of place sometimes.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Texas does, but its kinda a joke

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

BlueBayou posted:

Is there an easy way to remove a helmet visor? I got some no fog spray, but its hard to get it on the inside of the visor.

Also is there any reason not to remove the stickers that identify the maker of the helmet. I have an all black KBC helmet, and the big silver KBC sticker on the front looks out of place sometimes.

I'm not sure of the KBC helmets, but my HJC has a simple locking mechanism on both sides of the helmet to hold the visor in place. The directions that came with the helmet should show you how.

The sticker on my HJC also peeled right off, it was more of a cling than glue that held it on.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
My helmet didnt come with directions. the first one I bought did, but I exchanged it for this one before reading them.

Yeah the logos peel right off, im just wondering if there is good reason to keep them on

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

BlueBayou posted:

My helmet didnt come with directions. the first one I bought did, but I exchanged it for this one before reading them.

Yeah the logos peel right off, im just wondering if there is good reason to keep them on

They're just one more thing to get between you and FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOM RAYS!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BlueBayou posted:

It could be a load-bearing sticker, be careful.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Bob Morales posted:

It could be a load-bearing sticker, be careful.

just a thin sticker between your head and the pavement :ohdear:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I am going to the DMV tomorrow to register my new bike (pics coming soon). What is the deal with trading bikes when it comes to registration? Can I just write trade under sale price?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

The NonBornKing posted:

New York does but most of the guys that do them don't give a poo poo. As long as your lights work and you have a license plate you are good to go.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Gnaghi posted:

I am going to the DMV tomorrow to register my new bike (pics coming soon). What is the deal with trading bikes when it comes to registration? Can I just write trade under sale price?

I doubt it. I think you will have to put some low value in so that the state can collect some taxes off it. I'm sure it depends on the state though.

You may want to leave it blank and ask them, but also bring some fake bill of sale with some realy low amount on it in case they want to give you crap about it.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
What can people tell me about windscreens? I've been told they make long distance riding a lot more comfortable.

The options I've got from Triumph for my Bonneville are the following:

Click here for the full 784x218 image.

Also, what's a good size recommendation for saddle bag capacity?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Your DMV should have a hotline to call. Call them, ask what the policy is on trading bikes, and then decide if you want to BS with a low purchase price or if you want to tell them that it was a trade.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gnaghi posted:

in my state the DMV gets around this by taxing you based on the NADA value on your vehicle if it's higher than your sale price.

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.

Armyman25 posted:

What can people tell me about windscreens? I've been told they make long distance riding a lot more comfortable.

The options I've got from Triumph for my Bonneville are the following:

Click here for the full 784x218 image.

I was thinking about getting a windscreen like the one on the right for my Suzuki GS650. Here's the one I was looking at. Will something like this do any good?

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Looks like I've got to the bottom of my clutch probs:

Maintenance fail.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
How do you guys handle riding in the rain? I have had two experiences to far, and the "rain" part of it is fine with RainX or something on my visor, but the tire kick-up mist is a bitch. Its dirty water, doesnt bead like larger drops, and doesnt dry mostly clear. Do you just stop every 20-30 minutes to take a rag to your face and get it clean again?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

How do you guys handle riding in the rain? I have had two experiences to far, and the "rain" part of it is fine with RainX or something on my visor, but the tire kick-up mist is a bitch. Its dirty water, doesnt bead like larger drops, and doesnt dry mostly clear. Do you just stop every 20-30 minutes to take a rag to your face and get it clean again?

I solve it by not tailgating. :v:

http://www.fogtech.ca/index.html

Fog Tech is an amazing product, it's the best anti fog poo poo I've ever tried. I can huff and puff, it will not fog and doesn't leave much optical distortions. The makers also sell Raincoat, a wax which makes water bead off the visor. It's not as amazing as Fog Tech, but it does work. The microdrops of spray isn't repelled as easily, but with 30-40 mph wind you can move your head to the sides and it will blow off.

But before throwing money at it, I just wiped with my gloves and dealt with the slightly blurred vision. I've tried gloves with wipers on them, it does work quite well, but perhaps better with some beading agent on the visor. But Fog Tech was the best help to my rain riding, before I had to open the visor quite often to defog it and when I got to work my eyes were red and sore from all the particles of road crap.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

in my state the DMV gets around this by taxing you based on the NADA value on your vehicle if it's higher than your sale price.

Man that's bs. Californa (capital of government bs) I'm guessing?

Hmm well the purchase price was pretty low because it has expensive damage to it, yep.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Gnaghi posted:

Hmm well the purchase price was pretty low because it has expensive damage to it, yep.

Texas does this too, though I think it's a flat $20, if you mark gift.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

blugu64 posted:

Texas does this too, though I think it's a flat $20, if you mark gift.

Automobile gift tax in Texas is $10.

I'm amazed that this is the case, too.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gnaghi posted:

vermont. every other law is really lax though. concealed carry with no permit, no emissions checks, etc.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 24, 2020

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Mechanism Eight posted:

The exhaust still seems firmly retained by the remaining two bolts so do you think it'll be safe to ride until I can see someone about it, probably a week away at least?

Yes. I see people riding around with like three bolts total in their exhaust systems.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

bobula posted:

Yes. I see people riding around with like three bolts total in their exhaust systems.

... and one of them is just bouncing around inside the muffler because their rear end in a top hat friend took it off the pipe and threw it in there.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Ok, so I'm trying to get a 1982 GS750 running off and on now for several months, TSCC engine. Today I finally got it to start, but the symptoms are pretty bizarre, to me at least.

The carbs are completely 100% clean inside and out, I don't remember what the jets are, but the bike was running 6 months ago on the same carbs, so those probably wouldnt be preventing it from running. Here's what happened today:

The bike would start, and I could keep it running by holding open the throttle maybe 1/4 or 1/2, this would keep it at about 2500 rpm, opening the throttle 100% would get it to a maximum of about 4500 rpm, after which it would die. After 30 secs or a minute of running, it would slowly start dropping RPM regardless of throttle position and then die. Letting go of the throttle at any point would lead the engine to die. Choke prevents the engine from starting. (it's warm outside, about 60 degrees)

It would start up several times, would run for a while if I held the throttle open, then die. As time went on and the engine warmed up, it became more difficult to start, and after a point the engine would no longer catch. I did this for a total of maybe 5 minutes of running time.

The spark plugs are brand new, gapped to about 0.025. The coils are working, not sure if the spark is great, but both coils are making spark. I am running fuel in from an auxiliary plastic tank. There is fuel in all 4 float bowls, the float levels are close enough as far as I can tell.

What does this sound like a symptom of? Could it be valves? If the valves are too tight, would it cause the symptoms I'm experiencing? I want to pop the valve cover off tomorrow and take a look, check the clearances and adjust them to be a little looser. If I do this, is it vital to replace the gasket or can I leave the old one on? Because if I do need to replace it, I would have to wait for a new one to come in the mail and I'd rather take care of this sooner rather than later if possible.

Also, if it were the valves, could I have caused any damage by running it for about 5-10 minutes today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Okay, so I got a 1991 Suzuki GS500 sitting in front of the shed right now. It runs!

But it starts and Revs to 6k, with no throttle applied by me. It tries to rev higher, but once it gets just a little over 6k(Lets say, around 6200 just for arguments sake) it bogs down, drops about 500 revs then goes back up to six. I'm pretty sure i'd adjust the idle now, which will wait until I get the repair manual for it, but does anyone know about the bogging? Would it be because it still has some old gas in the lines? I drained the tank of the piss yellow varnish but not the line that goes from the petcock to the carbs.