Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

ere is a decent explanation of a cat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

Thanks. I checked today, and it is definitely oil, and it looks like it's coming out of the exhaust and spraying from the exhaust joint. Is it possible that there was too much oil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
I was fiddling with the bike earlier and I notice my gear shift is a bit loose. I try tightening up the bolt holding it in to no avail. I took it off(And snapped the bolt. Damnit.) and I find this.

How on Earth would you wear a groove like that? Theres no scratches or anything on the end so it wasn't dropped. Did someone take a grinder to it or something? I don't think it's something to be fixed right away, it's more of a "what the gently caress?"

orthod0ks posted:

Thanks. I checked today, and it is definitely oil, and it looks like it's coming out of the exhaust and spraying from the exhaust joint. Is it possible that there was too much oil?

I have seen that happen with some of our smaller equipment at work(Generators, trash pumps etc) so it's possible.

vvvEdit: You probably know a lot more then I do then. I just throw gas in, make sure it runs and has oil.

Another edit: Damnit, and I just noticed you answered my question too! Thanks.

Chairon fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 20, 2009

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's made that way, so the pinch-bolt will fit no matter where the lever is aligned on the shaft. Have no fear.
Take a hacksaw and widen the slot on the lever; the bolt will pull the "ends" tighter.

Chairon posted:

smaller equipment at work(Generators, trash pumps etc)

I fix that stuff for a living (not that anyone cares).

orthod0ks posted:

Have you checked to make sure it's not overfull?* PO may have overfilled it, carb may have overflowed into the engine**, or if it was on its side for any length of time, oil could've found its way into a cylinder. Keep an eye on the oil level, and put a few miles on it. It should go away--eventually. The exhaust doesn't get hot enough to burn it, so it has to blow out.

*Like Shlomo said, more likely to burn/smoke.
**Manual petcock? Do you shut it off when you stop?

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 20, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Bob Morales posted:

Sounds like the clutch basket to me. How many miles on it?

Like 11k, but the noise is coming from the opposite side of the bike as the clutch.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chairon posted:

I was fiddling with the bike earlier and I notice my gear shift is a bit loose. I try tightening up the bolt holding it in to no avail. I took it off(And snapped the bolt. Damnit.) and I find this.

How on Earth would you wear a groove like that? Theres no scratches or anything on the end so it wasn't dropped. Did someone take a grinder to it or something? I don't think it's something to be fixed right away, it's more of a "what the gently caress?"

Thats how they are from the factory. If you look, the bolt that goes through the kickstarter protrudes into the space for the kickshaft. Its basically to keep the kickstarter from rattling off the bike when it gets loose.

Lunchb0x
Nov 13, 2005
Jesus hates you
So im going to change the fork seals on my 1981 GS 450EX and the clymer manual i have doesn't have my model with the fork oil level. The book only seems to have the levels after 1982. What are my options? Should i try and find the Haynes manual and hope its in their?

Lunchb0x fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 20, 2009

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
159ml per fork according to this page. http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS450E-S_specs.shtml

Does that sound similar to the amounts for the other years in your book?

Lunchb0x
Nov 13, 2005
Jesus hates you

BotchedLobotomy posted:

159ml per fork according to this page. http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS450E-S_specs.shtml

Does that sound similar to the amounts for the other years in your book?

They run from 143cc to 187cc. If i go somewhere in the middle will my forks explode?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Lunchb0x posted:

So im going to change the fork seals on my 1981 GS 450EX and the clymer manual i have doesn't have my model with the fork oil level. The book only seems to have the levels after 1982. What are my options? Should i try and find the Haynes manual and hope its in their?

Have you tried the film trick yet? If not give it a go.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Sounds like the clutch basket to me. How many miles on it?

Last night I tore the bike apart and inspected the exhaust header flanges, chain tension, rear tire alignment, and even did a quick drive around the neighborhood trying to locate and identify the noise. Even without a helmet covering my ears, without the fairings on the bike doesnt make the noise. I guess some piece of plastic is vibrating to all hell, making a VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV sound as I drive down the road in certain rpm ranges. I think the fix for this is going to be wearing my earplugs more often :downs:

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Chairon posted:

I found this kind of hilarious. Not in a mean way!
Note that the inside of your kickstarter where that shaft goes through is also splined.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Last night I tore the bike apart and inspected the exhaust header flanges, chain tension, rear tire alignment, and even did a quick drive around the neighborhood trying to locate and identify the noise. Even without a helmet covering my ears, without the fairings on the bike doesnt make the noise. I guess some piece of plastic is vibrating to all hell, making a VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV sound as I drive down the road in certain rpm ranges. I think the fix for this is going to be wearing my earplugs more often :downs:

Leave the fairings off :black101:

Lunchb0x
Nov 13, 2005
Jesus hates you

n8r posted:

Have you tried the film trick yet? If not give it a go.

I bought all new seal, dust cover and o rings. Not a leaking problem just time to replace the oil and seals and cant find the right amount of oil.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

bobula posted:

I found this kind of hilarious. Not in a mean way!
Note that the inside of your kickstarter where that shaft goes through is also splined.

I think he meant the smooth groove in the center of the shaft.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
A friend of mine lost the key for his '85 Honda GL500. I know crap-all about ignition systems. How hard is this going to be to resolve?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

OrangeFurious posted:

A friend of mine lost the key for his '85 Honda GL500. I know crap-all about ignition systems. How hard is this going to be to resolve?

Depends. I'm assuming you mean 1981-83 GL500 since they didn't make the 500 after 83. If the key and ignition is coded then you'll be able to get a replacement key by looking at the number on the ignition lock cylinder and then searching around eBay and such.

If it isn't coded then you can either get an entirely new ignition switch or call a locksmith. A new cylinder that might fit is available here for $30:

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Honda-GL1000-GL1000-CBX-CX500-Ignition-Switch-Assembly?sc=12&category=52495

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

8ender posted:

Depends. I'm assuming you mean 1981-83 GL500 since they didn't make the 500 after 83. If the key and ignition is coded then you'll be able to get a replacement key by looking at the number on the ignition lock cylinder and then searching around eBay and such.

If it isn't coded then you can either get an entirely new ignition switch or call a locksmith. A new cylinder that might fit is available here for $30:

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Honda-GL1000-GL1000-CBX-CX500-Ignition-Switch-Assembly?sc=12&category=52495

That's exactly what I needed. In retrospect, I think it's an 82. I'm quite fond of that bike.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
How slippery is cut grass to ride on? I've been avoiding it every time I come across it (pretty often in the summer when riding around the farms) thinking it'd be slippery, but I'm not sure if I should worry about it or not.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Uthor posted:

How slippery is cut grass to ride on? I've been avoiding it every time I come across it (pretty often in the summer when riding around the farms) thinking it'd be slippery, but I'm not sure if I should worry about it or not.

Wet or dry? If you are careful and you aren't riding something super heavy I dont think it would be a problem. The few times I have driven my zx600 over my front lawn I didn't notice any feeling like it was going to slip out from under me. I dont know if I would try booking it at like 40 though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

dietcokefiend posted:

Wet or dry? If you are careful and you aren't riding something super heavy I dont think it would be a problem. The few times I have driven my zx600 over my front lawn I didn't notice any feeling like it was going to slip out from under me. I dont know if I would try booking it at like 40 though.

It's freshly cut grass all over the road. It would be slightly damp until it dries out, I imagine. I'm just mostly worried about hitting it in a corner, though I avoid most of it in straight lines. I treat it like wet leaves, currently, but I have to worry about it all year round instead of just the fall.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Uthor posted:

It's freshly cut grass all over the road. It would be slightly damp until it dries out, I imagine. I'm just mostly worried about hitting it in a corner, though I avoid most of it in straight lines. I treat it like wet leaves, currently, but I have to worry about it all year round instead of just the fall.

Hahahaha well cut grass all over a road is another topic entirely. There is a road that I like to ride on that gets 2 corners covered in grass from some asshat mowing there lawn. Every single time the rear tire starts to get a slipping feeling as I go over it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

dietcokefiend posted:

Hahahaha well cut grass all over a road is another topic entirely. There is a road that I like to ride on that gets 2 corners covered in grass from some asshat mowing there lawn. Every single time the rear tire starts to get a slipping feeling as I go over it.

K. I'll continue avoiding it, then. Thanks.

Everyone here seems to just push yard waste on the street. There's a scenic drive near me full of expensive houses and their idea of raking the leaves is blowing them into the road. I don't expect people to bag grass when they live on a farm in the boonies, however.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

dietcokefiend posted:

*test-rides re-carbureted Nighthawk in yard, does a wicked tank-slapper*

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dammit, my bike quit charging again. I knew right away by the fading dash lights, almost made it home.

Stator output tested ok, going to test the rectifier now. But on the last check it was actually charging. What are the symptoms of a dying battery?

I really hope it's just the battery. After two hours on charging it was just 12.1-ish, where earlier it was 12.5 after just one hour. Bike idles at 11.8V and as right before I disconnected the R/R it went to low 13s at 5000rpm.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Ola posted:

Dammit, my bike quit charging again. I knew right away by the fading dash lights, almost made it home.

Stator output tested ok, going to test the rectifier now. But on the last check it was actually charging. What are the symptoms of a dying battery?

I really hope it's just the battery. After two hours on charging it was just 12.1-ish, where earlier it was 12.5 after just one hour. Bike idles at 11.8V and as right before I disconnected the R/R it went to low 13s at 5000rpm.

You ought to check your discharge with the bike running and not (but key on) in order to make sure there isn't something draining it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

Sounds like the battery to me. It's either the R/R or the battery, and it sounds like the battery just isn't taking a charge anymore.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

R/R checks out perfectly as well. Gonna check for mystery drains, double check stator output and voltage drop between r/r and battery, but otherwise it looks like an open and shut case. Phew!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Lunchb0x posted:

I bought all new seal, dust cover and o rings. Not a leaking problem just time to replace the oil and seals and cant find the right amount of oil.

There really is no good reason to replace seals that are still working fine. You're just creating a lot more work for yourself. Just pull the forks, dump out the old oil and refill them to the proper level.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I have my problems sorted out on the GSXR. It wasn't the battery, the speed sensor is dead AND there is corrosion in the wiring harness connection that leads to the front end of the bike. What is odd is they both surfaced at nearly the exact same time. I cleaned the corrosion out of the connection terminal and the bike's dash does not reset now. I took the speed sensor out of the bike and it is scar'd up for some reason, I cleaned it and cleaned it's connections to the wiring harness but it still doesn't work.

I had the battery tested at the batteries plus down the street and they told me 100% the battery is good. Also it is in fact not a factory unit as I once thought. The PO had jerry-rigged a connector for the positive terminal block instead of going and getting the proper hardware, so I fixed that as well.

I am sooooo done buying used vehicles.

Lunchb0x
Nov 13, 2005
Jesus hates you

n8r posted:

There really is no good reason to replace seals that are still working fine. You're just creating a lot more work for yourself. Just pull the forks, dump out the old oil and refill them to the proper level.

So it not good to do service at the recommend time is what your saying? Do you skip on maintenance and just wait for poo poo to break? And i got new springs for the front to so why would i not change the seals since im already taking them apart. The whole point of the post was trying to find a proper level since the manual didn't have my exact model.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Lunchb0x posted:

So it not good to do service at the recommend time is what your saying? Do you skip on maintenance and just wait for poo poo to break? And i got new springs for the front to so why would i not change the seals since im already taking them apart. The whole point of the post was trying to find a proper level since the manual didn't have my exact model.

If the forks are right side up, which they are, then getting to the seals requires a lot more disassembly than you'll be doing when you pull the forks. n8r is completely right, there's no reason to take poo poo apart if it's working fine. If your seals aren't leaking, don't bother tearing the entire front end apart just to fix that. Pull the forks, dump the oil, put in new oil, drop the springs in the top, and reassemble them.

The seals have one job: Stop oil from leaking out of the forks. If you're not leaking oil, there is absolutely no reason to replace them.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 21, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Lunchb0x posted:

While I wont say to not do the seals, since after replacing mine I realized how easy how easy it was (with the right tools takes maybe 5 minutes per fork with them removed), seals don't generally have maintenance schedule outside of "replace when leaking". Also you can replace the springs on most forks without dealing with the bushings or fork seals (most bikes you can swap springs without even removing the forks from the triples either).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Changed my oil while I was at it, studied the filter up close and could see slivers of metal in there. :eek: It wasn't much, maybe four or five tiny particles in each paper fold. Should there definitely be none of this or is it normal? Maybe the cheap synthetic is bad?

Didn't change the filter on the last oil change so the current filter had about 4000 miles on it.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Ola posted:

Changed my oil while I was at it, studied the filter up close and could see slivers of metal in there. :eek: It wasn't much, maybe four or five tiny particles in each paper fold. Should there definitely be none of this or is it normal? Maybe the cheap synthetic is bad?

Didn't change the filter on the last oil change so the current filter had about 4000 miles on it.

What sort of metal was it? Magnetic? Automotive manual transmissions frequently shed material over time (most use magnetic drain plugs to catch this) has gears mesh together and wear. Motorcycles have the engine and transmission sharing the same oil, so I would only say it might be normal to see some of that over time. How big of particles are we talking about though. Small enough where you only notice the sparkly, or big like grains of sand?

Lunchb0x
Nov 13, 2005
Jesus hates you

dietcokefiend posted:

While I wont say to not do the seals, since after replacing mine I realized how easy how easy it was (with the right tools takes maybe 5 minutes per fork with them removed), seals don't generally have maintenance schedule outside of "replace when leaking". Also you can replace the springs on most forks without dealing with the bushings or fork seals (most bikes you can swap springs without even removing the forks from the triples either).

I have a friend who has done them multiple times and said it would only take maybe 10min a fork so i didn't see the harm since i was already opening them up for the fork springs. But im just worried about getting the right oil level and how that will effect the bike and forks.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Lunchb0x posted:

I have a friend who has done them multiple times and said it would only take maybe 10min a fork so i didn't see the harm since i was already opening them up for the fork springs. But im just worried about getting the right oil level and how that will effect the bike and forks.

Google up your particular forks to see if anyone has ran into trouble with the bushings binding together during the standard removal. If they are known to slip under eachother using the slide-hammer method, you will probably junk both inner and outer bushings in the process, adding some parts to the repair process. That is basically the only risk when it comes to replacing fork seals.

Lunchb0x
Nov 13, 2005
Jesus hates you

dietcokefiend posted:

Google up your particular forks to see if anyone has ran into trouble with the bushings binding together during the standard removal. If they are known to slip under eachother using the slide-hammer method, you will probably junk both inner and outer bushings in the process, adding some parts to the repair process. That is basically the only risk when it comes to replacing fork seals.

Ok, ill check up on that. Thanks

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

What sort of metal was it? Magnetic? Automotive manual transmissions frequently shed material over time (most use magnetic drain plugs to catch this) has gears mesh together and wear. Motorcycles have the engine and transmission sharing the same oil, so I would only say it might be normal to see some of that over time. How big of particles are we talking about though. Small enough where you only notice the sparkly, or big like grains of sand?

Like powdery sand I suppose. One piece was a thin sliver, I guess 1 mm long. I'm going to think about sending an oil sample for analysis. Partly for fun science, partly to keep an eye on development.

Anyone ever do this? It might sound like paranoid overthinking, but it would be a bit cool too.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Ola posted:

Like powdery sand I suppose. One piece was a thin sliver, I guess 1 mm long. I'm going to think about sending an oil sample for analysis. Partly for fun science, partly to keep an eye on development.

Anyone ever do this? It might sound like paranoid overthinking, but it would be a bit cool too.

I have done it on my car before. Cool part is they can narrow down what components are wearing, since the metal composition is different between say forged rods, bearings, piston rings, and gear assemblies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Ola posted:

I've done this on almost every change on my 599. I like the :science: .