Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

tayl0r posted:

I have a 93 Yamaha Virage 535. I bought it a couple of weeks ago and only rode it a few times since I was still waiting on getting my gear. I finally took it for a longer ride yesterday and I don't feel like I'm getting all the power I should have. When I took the MSF class I rode a little 250 and it felt just as powerful as this bike.

Here are the specific things that happen that make me think there is a problem:

1) When I'm taking off in 1st gear, as soon as I let off the clutch all the way it feels totally lackluster if I'm going uphill at all. On a steep hill it just dies. The engine revs up just fine with the clutch in and as I ease the clutch out the bike takes off great, but then as soon as I release the clutch all the way the revs totally drop and it stalls if I'm not going fast enough. I had to go up a hill playing with my clutch in and out (in 1st gear).

This sounds really dumb, but make absolutely sure sure you're in 1st gear when taking off. This is what my bike would do if I were trying to start off in second (I can still get going if I feather the clutch enough). If you're a gear too high all the time your bike will get annoyed with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BronYrAur
Jan 25, 2007
I have 1988 suzuki katana for starters. It was in bad need of an oil change so that was my project for today. After assembling all the tools I needed I went to work. Now it took a while and some trickery to get the drain bolt out - this was not a good sign. Drained all the oil and went to put the bolt back in and it doesn't go it. I can tighten it with my fingers then when I try to wrench it it must jump threads and gets loose again. I can't seem to get the bolt back in. The bolt itself looks to be in fine condition so this makes me think the oil pan is having problem. My question is do I have any options/how screwed am I? I'm thinking of taking the bike to a dealership to get looked at but I can't exactly afford that and I don't have a truck to take it in.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I can only ride my Ninja 250 for about an hour before my rear end gets really sore. Is this typical for a cheap bike like that? Are there after-market seats or something I could buy? I was hoping I'd build up a sort of immunity to the uncomfortable seat after riding for a season but I didn't, and rides over an hour are almost painful. I can sort of solve the problem by stopping and taking a break and walking around for a bit every 45 minutes.

Anyone have any experience with the seat mods described on ninja250.org?

This is next on my agenda, I went on a 4 hour ride today on my 250 and my rear end was killing me by the halfway point.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

BronYrAur posted:

I have 1988 suzuki katana for starters. It was in bad need of an oil change so that was my project for today. After assembling all the tools I needed I went to work. Now it took a while and some trickery to get the drain bolt out - this was not a good sign. Drained all the oil and went to put the bolt back in and it doesn't go it. I can tighten it with my fingers then when I try to wrench it it must jump threads and gets loose again. I can't seem to get the bolt back in. The bolt itself looks to be in fine condition so this makes me think the oil pan is having problem. My question is do I have any options/how screwed am I? I'm thinking of taking the bike to a dealership to get looked at but I can't exactly afford that and I don't have a truck to take it in.

Uh probably a stripped oil pan, you can either make the hole bigger or buy a new one iirc.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

teknicolor posted:

Uh probably a stripped oil pan, you can either make the hole bigger or buy a new one iirc.

There are oil pan fix kits for cars - I have no idea if they would work on a bike, but it would be better than replacing the pan.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

orthod0ks posted:

You guys are gonna get sick of me...

As far as I can tell, the oil leak problem is solved. I did recheck the level with the bike upright, and it looks completely full, so that's the good news.

The bad news is the bike is now leaking fuel. I started it up and let it warm up, and when I revved the engine, fuel was spraying out of the exhaust joints. I'm planning to take the bike to a shop as soon as they reopen (I checked with 2 day, and both seemed to be closed for the holiday weekend), but I'm curious as to what sort of problem I'm looking at (and what it's gonna cost me).

Probably a stuck float. Tap the hell out of the carbs with the base of a screwdriver and it may stop leaking fuel.

The oil level should not be completely full, it should be in the middle of the sight glass. If you can rock the bike back and forth and the level of oil never goes below the top of the sight glass, it's still overfilled.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

BronYrAur posted:

I have so much experience with this due to Ford's wonderful decision to put an aluminum oil pan in my car. There are several options, the one that will work for you is this: they sell rubber plugs that have a screw through the middle. You tighten the screw and it squeezes the plug until it seals your oil drain hole. I think I have a few left over. I will look for them. I found them in an auto parts store in California somewhere. It's made by a company that has a whole line of things like that. I remember the packaging being yellow with black letters.

If you can't find that another option is boating supply stores. What you want is weep hole plugs I believe. That type doesn't have a screw, it's more of a toggle switch.

The final option is retapping the hole. If you can get a good straight angle into the hole you can do it with the pan on the bike, otherwise you will likely have to remove the engine to get to it... good luck!

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Z3n posted:

Probably a stuck float. Tap the hell out of the carbs with the base of a screwdriver and it may stop leaking fuel.

The oil level should not be completely full, it should be in the middle of the sight glass. If you can rock the bike back and forth and the level of oil never goes below the top of the sight glass, it's still overfilled.

Excellent. I'll try this tomorrow. I can see the oil level move. It's below half when on the side stand, and only at the top when held up straight.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

orthod0ks posted:

Excellent. I'll try this tomorrow. I can see the oil level move. It's below half when on the side stand, and only at the top when held up straight.
Does your bike not have a max/min line or something? It should have an upper line which the oil should not be above when the bike is upright (not on sidestand) and a lower line which the oil should not be below.

BronYrAur
Jan 25, 2007

The NonBornKing posted:

I have so much experience with this due to Ford's wonderful decision to put an aluminum oil pan in my car. There are several options, the one that will work for you is this: they sell rubber plugs that have a screw through the middle. You tighten the screw and it squeezes the plug until it seals your oil drain hole. I think I have a few left over. I will look for them. I found them in an auto parts store in California somewhere. It's made by a company that has a whole line of things like that. I remember the packaging being yellow with black letters.

If you can't find that another option is boating supply stores. What you want is weep hole plugs I believe. That type doesn't have a screw, it's more of a toggle switch.

The final option is retapping the hole. If you can get a good straight angle into the hole you can do it with the pan on the bike, otherwise you will likely have to remove the engine to get to it... good luck!

That first one sounds perfect. I am trying a new bolt first, it's cheap and who knows is my thinking. But if you have any more information on these plug/screw things it would be much appreciated.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

BronYrAur posted:

Find a place that will put a helicoil in for you. It's cheap (like $35 max, I'd think) and it replaces the threads with a steel coil in the original size so you don't have to mess around with different thread size BS.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Krakkles posted:

Does your bike not have a max/min line or something? It should have an upper line which the oil should not be above when the bike is upright (not on sidestand) and a lower line which the oil should not be below.

It does, but since it was overfull, it's hovering just over the full mark at the top of the window. Leaning it over, I can see the top level of the oil though.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

bobula posted:

Find a place that will put a helicoil in for you. It's cheap (like $35 max, I'd think) and it replaces the threads with a steel coil in the original size so you don't have to mess around with different thread size BS.

I had a helicoil put in my car. It only held until the next oil change. After that they said another one wouldn't work. I'm not sure if that was specifically something wrong with my car, but it's worth a shot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

That oil pan is probably cast aluminum, so just replace it.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007

BronYrAur posted:

That first one sounds perfect. I am trying a new bolt first, it's cheap and who knows is my thinking. But if you have any more information on these plug/screw things it would be much appreciated.

First of all, be careful with trying the bolts. Every time the bolt jumps the threads you are wearing a little bit more of the threads away.

I've looked everywhere and I can't find my old plugs; my car died two years ago and I think I might have given them to the guy I sold it to. With rubber plugs there are three options. One has an expandable end that slips through the hole and then catches on the inside of the pan. These suck, they don't seal all that well and they can never be removed. The next type is like a but plug. I've never tried this kind before. The other type is the one I mentioned above with the screw through the middle, that's what I had and they worked great.

I can't seem to find anybody that sells them online, but they do exist. Call around to all the local auto parts stores and tell them you've got a stripped oil pan bolt and ask if they have rubber replacement plugs. They'll know what you're talking about, this is a common occurrence.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I've been smelling burning clutch sometimes from my VFR. At first I thought it was me, as the bike seems to drop rpms fast, making my shifting kinda crappy, but cruising in first gear through traffic the other day I caught a wiff of it again without even shifting. My understanding is that the clutch is oil bathed, so checking my oil level is that same as checking trans fluid cause it's all one, correct? If so the oil is up to the proper level. The bike just hit 7000 miles, could this be trouble?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If it's only happened in traffic, you might be smelling something from another vehicle. :)

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Ola posted:

If it's only happened in traffic, you might be smelling something from another vehicle. :)

Nah I've got down and smelt the bike after parking, it's definitely me.

BronYrAur
Jan 25, 2007

The NonBornKing posted:

First of all, be careful with trying the bolts. Every time the bolt jumps the threads you are wearing a little bit more of the threads away.

I've looked everywhere and I can't find my old plugs; my car died two years ago and I think I might have given them to the guy I sold it to. With rubber plugs there are three options. One has an expandable end that slips through the hole and then catches on the inside of the pan. These suck, they don't seal all that well and they can never be removed. The next type is like a but plug. I've never tried this kind before. The other type is the one I mentioned above with the screw through the middle, that's what I had and they worked great.

I can't seem to find anybody that sells them online, but they do exist. Call around to all the local auto parts stores and tell them you've got a stripped oil pan bolt and ask if they have rubber replacement plugs. They'll know what you're talking about, this is a common occurrence.

Well I just struck out at all the local auto parts stores. The best they could come up with is an 'oversized bolt'. Any opinions on that route?

BronYrAur fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 24, 2009

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

BronYrAur posted:

Well I just struck out at all the local auto parts stores. The best they could come up with is an 'oversized bolt'. Any opinions on that route?

As long as it's tapped straight, you shouldn't have a problem doing this. Just go up to the very next size though. I think Katana oil plugs are like 14mm, so go 16. Don't get one that is longer than the original plug. Make sure you have a good sealing washer on the new one. Don't use a cheap non-hardened bolt. Make sure it has a skirt on the head and not just straight hex against the metal.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007

BronYrAur posted:

I had problems getting any of the self-tapping/oversized bolts to go in because I couldn't get a straight line on my threads, you may have better luck. If you can't find any rubber plugs then you don't really have much choice. Just make sure you have a good straight line on it and push really hard with the drill.

Where do you live? Maybe some helpful goon with an engine hoist could help you get the pan off to be re-tapped at a machine shop.

BronYrAur
Jan 25, 2007

The NonBornKing posted:

I had problems getting any of the self-tapping/oversized bolts to go in because I couldn't get a straight line on my threads, you may have better luck. If you can't find any rubber plugs then you don't really have much choice. Just make sure you have a good straight line on it and push really hard with the drill.

Where do you live? Maybe some helpful goon with an engine hoist could help you get the pan off to be re-tapped at a machine shop.

I live in Winnipeg! It's a hole for biking as insurance is beyond expensive. Hopefully this goes well, I will report back.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I know a lot of individuals have the thought of if you drop a helmet from a few feet up and it hits a hard surface such as concrete or asphalt, then the helmet is no longer any good. Has there ever been any sort of research or study on the matter that someone can refer me to, or does everyone just parrot what they hear from others?

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
I'm all knowledgeable about stripped threads because I'm an idiot. As another example of my idiocy I managed to remove a part of my air filter housing that isn't supposed to be removed. There was this stretchy rubbery stuff that was sealing the connection between these two pieces. Anyone know of something I could get to replace that seal? It looked spray on but could be a liquid or gel of some form.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Hughmoris posted:

I know a lot of individuals have the thought of if you drop a helmet from a few feet up and it hits a hard surface such as concrete or asphalt, then the helmet is no longer any good. Has there ever been any sort of research or study on the matter that someone can refer me to, or does everyone just parrot what they hear from others?
drop it on the ground? it's fine. arai says so.

http://vodpod.com/watch/1160709-jay-leno-the-arai-man

about 8 minutes in

BronYrAur
Jan 25, 2007

BronYrAur posted:

I live in Winnipeg! It's a hole for biking as insurance is beyond expensive. Hopefully this goes well, I will report back.

Well it's been about 25 minutes since I put in 1.5L of oil and there are not drips or seeps to speak of so far! Going to put the rest of the oil in and fire it up shortly.

I am interested to know if there are any Winnipeg bike goons on here that are good at this mechanical stuff as I am most definitely not.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

drop it on the ground? it's fine. arai says so.

http://vodpod.com/watch/1160709-jay-leno-the-arai-man

about 8 minutes in

You da man. I figured a lot of people were full of poo poo and just repeating whatever they were told. I'm keeping this video handy for future use. Thanks.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
I'm shopping for a new bike. Problem is, I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam. I just sold my GS 850 and it was okay, but I wouldn't call it the most comfortable bike. I've been reading a bunch of forums, and I've gotten good recommendations on bikes for tall riders, but the problem is that these are mostly new bikes -- my budget mostly allows for older bikes. Here's what I have so far on my list:

Kawasaki
KLR-650

Suzuki
DL650
DL1000
SV1000
Bandit 600/1200
Katana 750

Yamaha FZ6

Honda
VFR800
Triumph
Street 3
Speed 3
BMW
F650
R1100/1150/R1200GS

All recommended as fitting taller riders. Most of these are far out of my price range, except for maybe a Katana, VFR, or Vstrom. I have no real interest in off road.

What I'm looking for are predecessors to these models that aren't on the list, like the TL1000S which is the predecessor to the SV1000, so I can expand my search. Also, any other recommendations or model lines that I haven't listed here.

Finally, is the SV1000 significantly bigger than the 650? I sat on an SV650 and it felt cramped, although I would probably be able to make it fit if I changed to an adjustable rearset. The SV1000 has more power than I need, but if the fit is better, I don't mind.

edit: I've left off things like the ZX-12R and the FZ1 because while I hear that they're quite big and comfortable, I wouldn't feel confident with the amount of power those bikes have.

Uncle Ivan fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 24, 2009

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Z3n posted:

I did this, and it's leaking at a much slower rate, but that may because it's low on fuel now. Any other simple solutions I should try before taking it to the shop?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Uncle Ivan posted:

TL1000S

I'm not quite as tall as you (6'3") but that bike will be far too small for you. It's set up as a sport bike, and I found it cramped as all hell, even with bar risers.

I'd suggest looking for the bike that I have - a Kawi ZR-7S. It's a good, tall, sport touring/standard, and generally sells for pretty reasonable used prices. The Z750/1000 also felt about the same fit as well.

Oh, and the Triumph Scrambler, but that may be out of your price range/interest.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Uncle Ivan posted:

Triumph
Street 3
Speed 3

I'm 6'3" with a 32 inseam and the Street 3 is quite comfortable for me. The Speed 3 is a little small, but still pretty good.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Does anyone use bicycle computers to have a more accurate speedo? I'm tired of taking 10% off my indicated speed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When I stopped into a Harley/Buell dealer, the Buells I sat on seemed really tall. Maybe check some of those out? I'm not sure which models they were (not the Blast or Ulysses, though). I'm 6'1", and have no trouble flatfooting both feet on my SV, and these seemed much taller.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Does anyone use bicycle computers to have a more accurate speedo? I'm tired of taking 10% off my indicated speed.

When I wanted to confirm the speed on my bike (hey its actually reading 1mph slow) I used a Garmin Foretrex 101 strapped to the handlebar. Much better than any bicycle computer and it even tracks your location.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Uncle Ivan posted:

Yep, you're right, it's a carb setup problem. It's a 1982 GS750, it has the rubber intake boots, they're old, but they're flexible enough that it shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I figured out what the problem was today. I pulled the carbs to reclean everything and recheck the float levels, threw them back on.
It's never the float levels.

quote:

I was able to get the bike started today, it was stumbling around 1000 rpm for several minutes, warming up. I noticed that as time went on, the revs went up to a maximum of about 3000. I gave it some throttle, it revved to about 6000 then tried to die. Kept running at about 3000, sounding not too bad. After a minute, started dropping revs, sputtering, I added more fuel. As the fuel filled the float bowls, the idle went up to 3000, then dropped back to 1000, stumbling. I pulled off the air filters, the bike kept running.
You are word for word describing what my GS would do before I replaced the carb boot o-rings. You have an intake leak. If you have the straight boots like you'd find on a GS1000 then you should investigate replacing those. Ideally you should try an intake leak test. Spray some WD40 or starter fluid behind the carbs and see if the revs rise. I bet it does.

quote:

I'm going to recheck the float levels once I get a set of calipers, but they were pretty close to the spec of 22mm using a tape measure.
No. Don't. You're wasting your time. If the bike isn't blowing fuel out the overflows your floats are good enough to make the bike idle pretty well.

quote:

So, basically, it looks like the jetting is catastrophically rich. Only part that doesn't really make sense is that the bike was running and idling pretty well 6 months ago, I rode it around until it stopped starting in the winter which prompted me to clean the carbs. I guess it's possible that the carbs were just so clogged to poo poo that it made a normally super rich condition into just the right mixture.
I think you may have just missed cleaning the important parts. Did you remove, clean, and reset the mixture screws?

quote:

The air filters are clean, so I'm pretty sure that's not the cause. Besides, it shouldnt keep running with the air filters off.
Most bikes will happily start and idle without the airbox, or air filters. At small throttle openings the restriction from the intake doesn't affect he mixture much.

quote:

It would be nice to find a set of carbs or a set of jets somewhere cheap. Also the needle doesn't look like the Dynojet needle that I have on my GS850, so I'm thinking that the needle here might not match the jet size (130 would correspond to the Dynojet stage 3 kit for the 1982 750) Anyone have old GS parts lying around?
Jets are cheap. If you think you have the wrong jets, $25 would buy all the jets for the whole carb. If your jets have the mikuni (square in a square) logo, you do not have a dynojet kit on there. If the needles have more than one groove, you have canadian carbs or a dynojet kit installed. Yes, I have lots of GS parts. This isn't a GS parts fixing problem. ;-)

Lunchb0x posted:

So im going to change the fork seals on my 1981 GS 450EX and the clymer manual i have doesn't have my model with the fork oil level. The book only seems to have the levels after 1982. What are my options? Should i try and find the Haynes manual and hope its in their?
Pick a year and try it. As long as the levels are equal, you're in pretty good shape. If the forks seem soft, and dive to much under braking, go with a higher oil level. If things seem hard, go with a little lower oil level.

Oil level is a tuning thing.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Ok, The 71 yamaha is nearly ready for rego.....
The last major issue is the blinkers, More to the point the lack of a flasher can! So Im thinking a car unit. Do they use a Positive or negative return ?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Kaptainballistik posted:

Ok, The 71 yamaha is nearly ready for rego.....
The last major issue is the blinkers, More to the point the lack of a flasher can! So Im thinking a car unit. Do they use a Positive or negative return ?

I don't know what you have available to you in aussie land but around here we can get a neat kit like the one below:
http://www.motovan.com/cat/2009moto_EN/images/0362.jpg

Comes with signals, flasher, mounts, and a crappy switch.

If you've already got the signals and switch then a regular automotive flasher should work just fine. I forget what Yamaha you have but if its a 6 volt system then you'll need to source a 6v flasher, which means its eBay time.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Its a 12V bike but the flasher unit I foind on ebay was allegedly for a 6volt At-1.

So its all a bit wierd as AT-1's were 12v....

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If its 12v then don't worry about it, just pick up any old cylinder style flasher from a local auto parts store.

Strange though, I thought that AT-1 was 6v. I wouldn't put it past Yamaha of that era to have made a few models with a 6v system before quietly switching to 12v.

8ender fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
maybe it's like the dumbass flasher relay on my guzzi which takes 12v in and puts 6v out?