Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Ditch posted:

Death Cake of Fear 32,000 Thumbtacks & 200 Fluorescent Lighttubes 3.2.1 Birthday Death Cake Death Match:
If Abby Jr. isn't in this I will be sorely disappointed. That guy deserves some cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Sadly, no. But there's MASADA. So... yeah.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
MASADA's growing on me, I just wish he'd stop sticking stuff in people's heads.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Illinois Smith posted:

MASADA's growing on me, I just wish he'd stop sticking stuff in people's heads.

Amen. It was cool the first time but EVERY loving MATCH is a bit much.

Also the Dragon Gate PPV from May 5th is well worth the box of kittens I had to sacrifice to get it.

thoughts so far:
-Akira Tozawa is not well in the head.
-Dragon Gate did a movie tie in just for the hell of it, how big is that?
-Their dojo should practice standing on the turnbuckles more. Lots of unplanned spills and way too much rubber legging.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
So I bought tickets for a Dragon Gate show here in Sendai next week, knowing next to nothing about Puroresu at all. From what I can gather I'm in for a treat?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I'm not big on the product, but part of that is their big moves and usual sequences don't excite me due to repetition. For someone coming in a 'DG virgin', you should be able to enjoy the raw athleticism without any particular knowledge of the product. They do have more in the way of storylines, faces & heels, and so on, than other Japanese promotions. The heels will be pretty obvious. One nice thing if you don't know the product is that the people who get pinned won't be as obvious as it is to regular fans who know the "weak links".

I can't find a card for the show. I'm 99% sure it's just going to be a house show.

Please let us know how you like it afterwards!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DG also has a decent mix of comedy to go with it. Stalker Ichikawa is pretty awesome at failing all over the place.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
2004 & 2005: NOAH runs big July show at Tokyo Dome
2006-2008: NOAH runs big July show at Nippon Budokan
2009: NOAH runs big July show at JCB Hall (~3000 seats)

Yeah.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

later NOAH!

JavyOO7
Dec 4, 2005
y halo thar?
drat, I really don't want NOAH to hit the shitter this year. They got me into puro back in '07 and have been hooked ever since. =/

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Eau de MacGowan posted:

So I bought tickets for a Dragon Gate show here in Sendai next week, knowing next to nothing about Puroresu at all. From what I can gather I'm in for a treat?
DragonGate is like the Lucha Libre of the Japanese world. Young or old as long as you're somewhat familiar with how wrestling works you'll enjoy yourself.

Mind posting the card lineup?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

5/27/2009 Miyagi, Zepp Sendai
1. Masato Yoshino, BxB Hulk, PAC vs. Ryo Saito, Kenichiro Arai, Genki Horiguchi
2. Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa
3. Susumu Yokosuka, Gamma vs. Anthony W. Mori, Don Fujii
4. CIMA, KAGETORA vs. Naruki Doi, Naoki Tanisaki
5. Akira Tozawa, Shingo Takagi, Dragon Kid vs. YAMATO, Yasushi Kanda, Cyber Kong

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Thanks for the info, guys.

I'll take some photos if I'm able to, and I'll try and do a write up. But I'm a casual wrestling fan at best, and more than that my Japanese is weak, so please don't expect any major analysis. I'll try and do it better than "HOLY poo poo THAT MAN DONE A FLIP AND HIT THAT OTHER GUY", but I'm unlikely to know ever minor detail.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

is Yasushi Kanda the guy who wrestles in jumpsuits?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That's Arai, with the shaved head.

delayed edit: New Puropulse
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2009/05/21/puroresu-pulse-issue-149-grab-bag

Ditch fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 21, 2009

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
June NOAH tour includes:

Chris Hero singles matches vs Shiozaki and Takayama
KENTA defending the junior title vs Marvin
Akiyama defending the GHC title vs Rikio (high probability of suck)
Saito & Smith defending the tag titles vs Misawa & Shiozaki
Akiyama & Kobashi vs Shiozaki & KENTA
Sasaki & Nakajima vs Shiozaki & KENTA

A lot more :effort:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The Hero/Takayama matches will be interesting, just to see Takayama look vaguely annoyed at the Roaring Elbow. And then destroying Hero.

Hero/Shiozaki not so much. But they'll probably have a really competitive match.

KENTA vs. Marvin. Um, ok. Isn't Marvin the gaijin they hired to take all the falls in multiman matches?

Old Puro guys main eventin. yup, that'll put butts in seats.

Tag title match should be p.good.

Kobashi/Shiozaki interactions will save that match. I choppee you, you choppee me!

Sasaki & Nakajima are pretty good. So are Shiozaki & KENTA.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
39 year old champ vs 36 year old challenger is old guys?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I'm loving amped for the Shiozaki/KENTA vs. Kensuke Office match.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

coconono posted:

Isn't Marvin the gaijin they hired to take all the falls in multiman matches?
Not really, he's been part of their Junior division forever. Had a pretty awesome reign with Kotaro as champs of the division in 2007.

Pretty sure they've never faced off, this should be neat.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Ditch posted:

39 year old champ vs 36 year old challenger is old guys?

Not every promotion is TNA. Still, akiyama is much younger than I thought. Apart from his apparent;y bad booking ability, how is his body holding up? He seems to be the only one of the famous 5 and 3 musketeers that isn't extremely breakable.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Well, he also started wrestling 5-10 years later than those other guys. Taue, Misawa & Kawada all debuted in the early 80s, Kobashi in '87 and then Akiyama came along in '92.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Kobashi and Taue were '88, but yeah. Also Akiyama has done WAY less top-rope stuff, fewer 30 minute plus epics, and he's got better genes than someone like Taue. Akiyama was in a lot of champions carnival matches in the '90s, so he did plenty of singles bouts, but they were significantly shorter for a while because he was an up-and-comer as opposed to a headliner. A 12 minute loss is a lot better on the joints than a time limit draw.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Illinois Smith posted:

5/27/2009 Miyagi, Zepp Sendai
1. Masato Yoshino, BxB Hulk, PAC vs. Ryo Saito, Kenichiro Arai, Genki Horiguchi
2. Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa
3. Susumu Yokosuka, Gamma vs. Anthony W. Mori, Don Fujii
4. CIMA, KAGETORA vs. Naruki Doi, Naoki Tanisaki
5. Akira Tozawa, Shingo Takagi, Dragon Kid vs. YAMATO, Yasushi Kanda, Cyber Kong

Okay, so I went last night. I have to say I was impressed. Everybody was going all out, and although I was expecting a typically quiet Japanese crowd there was a lot of chanting. Matches:

1. This was a great opening match. There was all kinds of mad bumps, and the white fella in the bunch flies well. He took one insane looking super DDT where he landed virtually straight on his head, and finished the match with a Moonsault. There was a coupled of weird spots, like when the face team locked up one of the heels (Saito I think) in a triple hold and the ref just watched, and about ah undred million schoolboy variations, but overall it was a good opener. Saito plays a meth head well - he had a gas canister and a gas mask, and any time he wasnt fighting he lay passed out on the ring.

2. In comes the comedy. Ichikawa was dressed as a goblin alien thing, pitchfork and all. Masaaki floored him with one hit and did the Jericho "hold with the foot and flex the pythons" pin to win within 5 seconds. Ichikawa threw a tantrum, and demanded another match, and Masaaki said yes - but only if he could make him laugh. Cue about five minutes of JApanese I didn't understand. Anyway, MAsaaki relents and they get into a fairly standard small guy v big guy comedy match. What it did have was a great "Whack-a-mole" segment, where Ichikawa hid under the ring and popped up, and Masaaki tried to stab him in the face with his toy pitchfork. MAsaaki ended up winning anyway.

3. THE RETURN OF ICHIKAWA. I didnt catch any of the names, but one team consisted of two guys in jeans and leathers and watermelon haircuts and the other of Dean Malenko-san and Billy Gunn when he was pretending to be gay. Anyway the match gets underway, and Ichikawa comes out and keeps swapping sides. Eventually Dean Malenko-san loses his rag, takes him up to the balcony and tosses him off. It wasn't a huge bump, but good none the less. This match had way too much spitting though - the jeans and leather dudes couldnt go two minutes without drinking water and HHH-ing it into someones face, or dribbling on someones face, or spitting on their hands and then rubbing it in someones face... Anyway jeans and leathers win after a pretty sick looking Brainbuster I think (In a suplex position, they just drop them straight down a la piledriver)

4. OH poo poo ICHIKAWAS BACK. Army dudes versus the Dreamu Teamu I think. I can't remember much about this match, save for Ichikawa once more turning up and playing exactly the same role he did in the previous two matches. Anyway, army dudes one. Seriously, all I can remember about this one is one of the army dudes had camo hotpants and leather tassels.

5. The last match was pretty sweet. It had a good mix of styles (Cyber Kong the powerhouse, Dragon Kid the luchadore etc.) and decent timing, and most of all no Ichikawa. Dragon Kid pulled about every head scissor variation in this one, and Cyber Kong busted out a vicious looking powerbomb with a cry of gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! I was actually pretty drunk by this point, so I can't remember the exact finish, but the face TEAM JAPAN won. Cyber Kong wasn't happy, and basically terrorised a bunch of women in the crowd for a bit.

Anyway, as I said sorry this wasn't massively in depth. I'm a casual fan, and I was drinking on the night. The one thing I can say is that Dragon Gate needs to lay off the comedy. The wrestling, when it was there, was impressive. But after the first match, every thirty seconds either Ichikawa would get involved or there would be a pause for banter with the crowd. But over all, I can say it was definitely worth $40 for the show.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I've never heard of the Ichikawa-in-almost-every-match thing before. He gets next to no TV time because he's been doing the loser gimmick for a decade, but I guess he's effective at getting attention and letting guys take it easy at house shows.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
He's good at what he does - he made me laugh a lot and I don't speak his language. The thing is though, most of the other roster were pretty funny too. I understand the need not to go insane at house shows, but maybe they could take a hand in spacing things out instead of solely Ichikawa.

This is kind of a strange question, but there were a few chants I didn't understand, and I was wondering if they were Puroresu tradition or something. First of all at seemingly random times people (wrestlers and crowd) would shout out something that sounded a lot like "I'm sorry!" or the Japanese equivalent (phonetically - 'insoree' or something) Second of all lots of the wrestlers would shout "AKIRA!" when doing an attack, which according to my Japanese friends (who dont follow puroresu) has no contextual meaning outside of someone's name. Except, no-one was called Akira. Do any of you guys have any clues?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Big Japan/CHIKARA cards:

BJW "DAINICHI DASH", June 9th
Yokohama Nigiwaiza

2. UltraMantis vs. Daisuke Masaoka (I have no idea who that is)
3. Fire Ant & Soldier Ant vs. Shinobu & Shinya Ishikawa (these two are pretty good)
4. Chuck Taylor vs. Yuji Okabayashi (a roided-up rookie)

June 9th... unlikely to be taped by BJPW but maybe Chikara.

BJW & CHIKARA, 12.06.2009
Warabi City Isami Wrestle Hall

1. Green Ant vs. Mask Man (???)
2. Jagged & Shane Matthews vs. Mototsugu Shimizu & Atsushi Ohashi (meh)
3. Chuck Taylor vs. Michael Nakazawa (Nakazawa we've seen before, he's a DDT guy)
4. Fire Ant & Soldier Ant vs. UltraMantis Black & Crossbones

Also wouldn't be taped by BJPW but CHIKARA is more likely because the card is more CHIKARA-y.

BJW & CHIKARA, 13.06.2009
Shin-Kiba 1st RING

2. CHIKARA vs. BJW: UltraMantis Black & Crossbones vs. Shadow WX & Yuichi Taniguchi (Shadow is a deathmatch veteran who mostly sucks. Taniguchi... dunno)
3. CHIKARA vs. BJW: Chuck Taylor vs. Daisuke Sekimoto (I hope people remember Sekimoto deadlifting Brodie Lee)
4. CHIKARA vs. BJW: Jagged & Shane Matthews vs. Yoshihito Sasaki & Ryuichi Kawakami (Sasaki is kinda generic but he's good, the other guy I don't know)
6. CHIKARA vs. BJW: Fire Ant, Soldier Ant & Green Ant vs. "Black Angel" Jaki Numazawa, Shinya Ishikawa & Yuji Okabayashi

Now that's going to be taped by somebody, guaranteed.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Oh god, Taylor vs Nakazawa. SOMEBODY BETTER TAPE THIS

2.0 making the trip still puzzles the gently caress out of me.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
So Dragon Gate has a monkey, and they've been abusing it. For instance here's an entry at Shingo's blog: http://spora.jp/takagishingo/archive/909/0

They also hit it and scald it and other things sadists are fond of. It's causing a stir in the Japanese IWC because, well, that's messed up right there. Hard to tell exactly how many in the company are involved, but one would imagine the company monkey having burns and bruises and BEING CHOKED ON SOMEONE'S BLOG would be known or something.

:(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Holy poo poo that is hosed up. Why Shingo why :(

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
What the gently caress man

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

i laughed really hard at this turn of events but i know i shouldnt

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Japan is not so hot on the animal treatment front all round, unfortunately.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Actually there's movement in that regard, especially as pets replace children in many households.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
i can't say that i saw this coming.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

What the gently caress. :(

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Venezia / Kong / Kasai vs Shingo BOOK IT GENKI

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Edit: gently caress

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Christ that is awful.

Since it's been posted in the threads on this at DVDVR, Strong Style Symphony, CZWFans, and freaking everywhere else talking about this, Jun Akiyama saves the day :unsmith: :

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That cheered me up.