Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I'm sick of wearing a backpack when I ride, at high speeds it sucks. What kind of aftermarket storage is available for a ninja 250 that doesn't mess up the aerodynamics of the bike? I'm looking to carry (at most) a few folders, a wallet, and a phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tank bag http://www.bikebandit.com/product/9277

Or tail bag http://www.bikebandit.com/product/18887

There's a zillion variants.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Oceanlife posted:

I'm sick of wearing a backpack when I ride, at high speeds it sucks. What kind of aftermarket storage is available for a ninja 250 that doesn't mess up the aerodynamics of the bike? I'm looking to carry (at most) a few folders, a wallet, and a phone.

I'd recommend saddle bags, as they're just too drat convenient. Though if you want something aerodynamic almost any tank bag will work for you, doubly so if you want to carry passengers, as a tank bag would rule that out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Bungie the backpack to the seat.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Bike is a 04 Honda CBR600 F4i..

My bike makes a deep rattling/knocking type noise in the engine that isn't noticeable on start up, but once it gets warm I can feel it and hear it. I can't tell exactly when it's coming from I just notice it once in a while when riding. When I'm in neutral like sitting at a light and I hear it, it lessens when I pull the clutch lever in.

I think it's done this since I bought the bike with 19,000 miles on it and now it has 30,000 miles and it doesn't seem to have changed.

I'm suspecting clutch basket.. if I just let it go for a long time does that damage anything else? What exactly would the basket be banging against?

I've changed the clutch plates on my Ninja 650r and that wasn't too hard, is the basket about the same?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

Bungie the backpack to the seat.

I got a small dedicated riding "backpack" and it works infinitely better tied and bungied to the grab rail as compared to actually being work on the back. I can carry my bungie net in it, too, so I can actually haul a bit of stuff if I have to. Well, "haul" in bike terms, buy you get my meaning.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TheReverend posted:

I'm thinking about getting a bike but I know very little about them.

I like the style of the Suzuki Boulevards. Are they any decent? What size should a newbie get in regards to the Boulevard assuming they are good.

I know that for Japanese style bikes 250cc seems to be the standard but I'm not sure about "American" style bikes.

I kinda liked the Suzuki S40, but the tiny tank and single cylinder engine wouldn't have worked for my riding. The S50, C50, or M50 should all be good for beginners.

Also in the same range are Honda Shadows, the smaller Yamaha/Star V Stars, or the Kawasaki Vulcan 500 or 900. I personally got the Vulcan 500 for the small size, high revving engine, and six speed transmission, but you should sit on them all to see what's comfortable.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I picked up a 1975 Honda CB500T a couple weeks back and just have a noob question about the idle.

The guy I bought the bike from did a great job setting it up to ride, but I think he has the idle set too low. The Clymer manual for the bike says the idle should be set between 1k and 2k. Right now the needle bounces just at or over the 1k mark, but to me the engine always sounds like it's sputtering a little.

Here's a short video of the bike being started, revved to 3k, and back to idle for a few seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsLeAMGuBvE

Am I just not used to a decent sounding idle, or should I tweak it a little?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Sounds pretty normal for an air cooled bike.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Agreeing that it sound normal however tachometers of that era were notoriously inaccurate at low rpms like that. My KZ650 should be around 1000rpm at idle but I find its happier at 1200-1300 on my tach. I suspect that number is closer to a real 1000 rpm.

Either way unless you hear the cam chain slapping around I'd just leave it. Old air cooled engines make all sorts of worrying and awesome noises.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

BigHustle posted:

I picked up a 1975 Honda CB500T a couple weeks back and just have a noob question about the idle.

The guy I bought the bike from did a great job setting it up to ride, but I think he has the idle set too low. The Clymer manual for the bike says the idle should be set between 1k and 2k. Right now the needle bounces just at or over the 1k mark, but to me the engine always sounds like it's sputtering a little.

Here's a short video of the bike being started, revved to 3k, and back to idle for a few seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsLeAMGuBvE

Am I just not used to a decent sounding idle, or should I tweak it a little?

Sounds okay to me, but you could up the idle a little (like to 1200 or 1500 rpms) and it would still be within normal idle range. It wouldn't likely help the bike at all, but it might make you feel better. :)

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

OMGWTFWALLHACK posted:

To be honest I've considered this but I don't want to get shavings everywhere in the body of the carb. It's still what I'll do if there isn't some awesome trick to it.

Heating the thread area with a torch will help immensely when trying to get a stuck jet out. Make sure you do it!

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

8ender posted:

Either way unless you hear the cam chain slapping around I'd just leave it. Old air cooled engines make all sorts of worrying and awesome noises.

When I have my bike ideling, every 2 or 3 seconds or so theres a couple ping noises that happen...
How to explain, hmm. Like: rumble rumble rumble ping ping ping ping rumble rumble rumble ping ping ping ping etc... (lord I feel silly)
The engine is still rumbling away I just hear the ping over the top of it. When you said something about a chain it made me think that it could be something like that, miss-timed. What do you think it could be?

Is it just my bike warming up or do I need to adjust something?

Rebel 450.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

tranten posted:

How many miles is on it? If it goes away when warm I wouldn't worry about it. My bike makes ungodly cam chain noises while I sit there looking horrified until it warms up. Its normal for the KZ650.

Now I don't know if its normal for a cold Rebel 450 but I do know that you've got an automatic tensioner, so short of pulling the valve cover and putting a new tensioner in there isn't much you can adjust. If the noise continues when hot then its probably worth taking a look. There was a Honda model that was infamous for making a pinging noise like that when the cam chain was stretched but I can't recall which one it was.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Well gently caress. I've been having some vacuum issues with my petcock, mostly because I replaced an old but perfectly good hose with a new but slightly too big one. It leaked at the carb socket and the last day I had to ride on prime as it wouldn't flow otherwise. Replaced the hose with a proper one today, used a pump and tested that the petcock flows on vacuum, doesn't flow on no vacuum and doesn't suck gas through the vacuum port.

That fixed, I checked my oil, expecting it to be half full on the glass as it was when I changed the oil a few days ago. But no, it's way full. Pretty sure I can smell gas from the filler port as well, but it's not very obvious. Now, if prime for whatever reason caused gas to leak into my crankcase, is it a really bad, don't ride situation? Will it evaporate through the breather over some time? And shouldn't the gas float on top of the oil? The stuff in the glass is all oil-coloured, but perhaps the specific weights of oil and gas isn't that different.

aventari posted:

My bike makes a deep rattling/knocking type noise in the engine that isn't noticeable on start up, but once it gets warm I can feel it and hear it.

Maybe it just needs a throttle body sync? If it was off it would cause vibrations and pulling the clutch would ease the load on the engine = less vibrations. Just a random thought.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ola posted:

Now, if prime for whatever reason caused gas to leak into my crankcase, is it a really bad, don't ride situation? Will it evaporate through the breather over some time? And shouldn't the gas float on top of the oil?

Yes, you should change the oil before you ride. Some will evaporate, but not enough and the ability of the oil to do its job has been compromised. Gas is just a product of oil, so they'll mix together just fine :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

Yes, you should change the oil before you ride.

Ooops.

Oh well, that valve noise is just like normal and I think I might have been stupid and checked the oil while the bike was on the center stand but not level. Will recheck after work.

Also, I took a sample of my previous oil and I'm sending it in for analysis today. Will be fun! :science:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ola posted:

Well gently caress. I've been having some vacuum issues with my petcock, mostly because I replaced an old but perfectly good hose with a new but slightly too big one. It leaked at the carb socket and the last day I had to ride on prime as it wouldn't flow otherwise. Replaced the hose with a proper one today, used a pump and tested that the petcock flows on vacuum, doesn't flow on no vacuum and doesn't suck gas through the vacuum port.

Ditch it and get a Golan or Pingel petcock.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The petcock works perfectly, it was my choice of vacuum hose which was bad. Speaking of that, if it overflowed on prime it should overflow with the bike running as well, shouldn't? The flow was pretty good when I hooked up a vacuum pump and a hose in a bottle. The floats have to seal just as much either way. So perhaps the oil is fine I'm just being all :supaburn: :f5:

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

8ender posted:

stuff

K, gravy. I figured it wasn't something insane, I'll have a listen more closely one of these times when it's fully warmed up but I'm fairly certain it goes away. Got about 17500 miles on it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

tranten posted:

When I have my bike ideling, every 2 or 3 seconds or so theres a couple ping noises that happen...
How to explain, hmm. Like: rumble rumble rumble ping ping ping ping rumble rumble rumble ping ping ping ping etc... (lord I feel silly)
The engine is still rumbling away I just hear the ping over the top of it. When you said something about a chain it made me think that it could be something like that, miss-timed. What do you think it could be?

Rebel 450.

How loud is it and what kind of gas do you put in it?

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Doctor Zero posted:

How loud is it and what kind of gas do you put in it?

Not that loud. It's not so much a ping as sort of just a knock of some sort... I usually put the middle octane in... 89 I think. It goes 87, 89, 91 right? I'm a new owner and it's my first bike, should I be looking at some sort of additive or something?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

tranten posted:

Not that loud. It's not so much a ping as sort of just a knock of some sort... I usually put the middle octane in... 89 I think. It goes 87, 89, 91 right? I'm a new owner and it's my first bike, should I be looking at some sort of additive or something?

You should run what the manufacturer recommends, which in your case is 87 octane gas according to the Rebel FAQ.

It's possible that if you switch to regular it might go away, or be reduced.

It's also possible switching to premium will make it go away too. Might as well run a tank of each and see if there's a change. A tank or two won't hurt you.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

tranten, see if it's similar to the pre-sync idle in my video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asM3kQWPmLM

It could just be that you need a sync. If you have two carbs that is.

Dilbert.
Feb 20, 2006
two thumbs uuughhlp

aventari posted:

Bike is a 04 Honda CBR600 F4i..

My bike makes a deep rattling/knocking type noise in the engine that isn't noticeable on start up, but once it gets warm I can feel it and hear it. I can't tell exactly when it's coming from I just notice it once in a while when riding. When I'm in neutral like sitting at a light and I hear it, it lessens when I pull the clutch lever in.

Actually I've been wondering what this could be on my bike as well, (Honda CBR600 F2). I notice it whenever it's warm, and it will go away when I put any pressure on the clutch.

I wish I knew if this was normal, hopefully I can start up my F4i in due time to see if it makes the same noise!

Also, would I would like to pull off my F4i's head when I pull the engine from the chassis, would I definitely have to replace the head gasket after removing the head at all?

OMGWTFWALLHACK
Jan 28, 2004

Hated by the internet.

Prelude Gundam posted:

Also, would I would like to pull off my F4i's head when I pull the engine from the chassis, would I definitely have to replace the head gasket after removing the head at all?

They are one time use. You might get away with not doing it but it's a bad idea. The bolts are also often one time use but I don't know about that particular engine.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
Wow, more idle issues for me...

I took the advice of Simkin and 8ender and left the idle the gently caress alone. This is the first day I've been able to take it out since I got it, since there was some motor vehicle commission fuckery to deal with.

Anyway, I started the bike, ran to the gas station, filled up with 93 octane, and rode about 6 miles. I had no issues with the bike at stoplights. I stopped at a pizza place for a water break and 10 minutes later went to leave. The bike turns over just fine, but will not idle at all. I have to rev the throttle to get the bike to start and keep steady pressure on it over 2k or else it dies as if I'd hit the thumb switch to kill the engine. I limped it home (not fun for my first time out on the bike) and tried again after the bike sat for about 30 minutes, and still nothing.

Any suggestions on what to do here? The bike is currently on the charger since the battery died from too many attempts at starting the fucker, so I have plenty of time to figure it out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BigHustle posted:

Wow, more idle issues for me...

I took the advice of Simkin and 8ender and left the idle the gently caress alone. This is the first day I've been able to take it out since I got it, since there was some motor vehicle commission fuckery to deal with.

Anyway, I started the bike, ran to the gas station, filled up with 93 octane, and rode about 6 miles. I had no issues with the bike at stoplights. I stopped at a pizza place for a water break and 10 minutes later went to leave. The bike turns over just fine, but will not idle at all. I have to rev the throttle to get the bike to start and keep steady pressure on it over 2k or else it dies as if I'd hit the thumb switch to kill the engine. I limped it home (not fun for my first time out on the bike) and tried again after the bike sat for about 30 minutes, and still nothing.

Any suggestions on what to do here? The bike is currently on the charger since the battery died from too many attempts at starting the fucker, so I have plenty of time to figure it out.

Did you leave the choke on?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Z3n posted:

Did you leave the choke on?

Nope. I haven't touched the choke. Until now, the bike started fine without it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BigHustle posted:

Nope. I haven't touched the choke. Until now, the bike started fine without it.

drat, easiest thing to fix so it comes to mind first.

Sounds like clogged pilots, honestly. Do you think there could be some crap in the tank or that could have caused this?

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Z3n posted:

drat, easiest thing to fix so it comes to mind first.

Sounds like clogged pilots, honestly. Do you think there could be some crap in the tank or that could have caused this?

Not that comes to mind. The tank is pristine on the inside and it's only been opened 2 or 3 times since I got the bike to check fuel levels. I'm always sure to make sure the tank is clean before opening it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

New tire time! I need something for some hard riding on a ninja 500. I'm going a bit nuts before my trip to California.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

KidDynamite posted:

New tire time! I need something for some hard riding on a ninja 500. I'm going a bit nuts before my trip to California.

Pirelli Sport Demons work great on my 500

Roadtard
May 24, 2008

The Sonnensault
So whats the general consensus on mid to late 80s gpz 600s? I keep seeing them on craigslist and get this irrational desire to watch Top Gun and emulate pre-crazy Tom Cruise. (I know he rode a 900 in the movie.)

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
OK, now I have no clue what's going on with my bike. Yesterday I took it out on the road and it ran fine until I stopped for water. Then the bike wouldn't idle.

I decided to whip out the Clymer manual the guy gave me with the bike, only to find out that it's for the 250/360cc Hondas of the same time period. I know that the engine is essentially the same, but the pictures don't match up. After some trial and error, I got the bike to idle this morning.

The idle is slower than when I got the bike, but that's not a big deal. The problem is that every time I give it some throttle, it dies instantly. I have no idea what the hell to do now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uzxfRGlaTA

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
The guy I bought my VFR from said he only ever used WD-40 on the chain and it worked great. Is this good practice or should I buy some chain lube and slop it on?

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

Nerobro posted:

It's never the float levels.
You are word for word describing what my GS would do before I replaced the carb boot o-rings. You have an intake leak. If you have the straight boots like you'd find on a GS1000 then you should investigate replacing those. Ideally you should try an intake leak test. Spray some WD40 or starter fluid behind the carbs and see if the revs rise. I bet it does.
No. Don't. You're wasting your time. If the bike isn't blowing fuel out the overflows your floats are good enough to make the bike idle pretty well.
I think you may have just missed cleaning the important parts. Did you remove, clean, and reset the mixture screws?
Most bikes will happily start and idle without the airbox, or air filters. At small throttle openings the restriction from the intake doesn't affect he mixture much.

Jets are cheap. If you think you have the wrong jets, $25 would buy all the jets for the whole carb. If your jets have the mikuni (square in a square) logo, you do not have a dynojet kit on there. If the needles have more than one groove, you have canadian carbs or a dynojet kit installed. Yes, I have lots of GS parts. This isn't a GS parts fixing problem. ;-)
Pick a year and try it. As long as the levels are equal, you're in pretty good shape. If the forks seem soft, and dive to much under braking, go with a higher oil level. If things seem hard, go with a little lower oil level.

Oil level is a tuning thing.

Yeah, it did sound like an intake boot problem. I tried spraying carb cleaner around them, and it didn't do anything. I figured that wasn't a sensitive test, so I actually ordered new ones, and put them on. Didn't help.

I can get the bike to start pretty consistently now. It will start, and idle, doesn't sound like a great idle, but it idles most of the time. If I give it some throttle, it will hesitatingly rev to around 4000-5000, then try to die. If I release the throttle, it will drop revs and stall. If I release the throttle, then give it a little more at around 1000, it will stumble, and go back to idling. This is the part that sounds EXACTLY like a vacuum leak, except I don't see how it can be. I had leaky O-rings on a previous bike, and it had the same symptom. If the engine revs up, then you drop the throttle, a lot of vacuum is generated and with a leak, the mixture would get too lean and the engine would stall. But I am positive I don't have an intake leak, at the boots at least. The diaphragms on the carbs are all fine as well.

What else could be wrong?

Uncle Ivan fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 31, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Gnaghi posted:

The guy I bought my VFR from said he only ever used WD-40 on the chain and it worked great. Is this good practice or should I buy some chain lube and slop it on?

WD40 does a HORRIBLE job at lubing anything, period. Clean the thing off with a toothbrush and kerosene and take a rag with a pool of gear oil and rub it on. Get the chain nice and slick on all parts, then take a clean paper towel and wipe off all the excess pretty well.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

dietcokefiend posted:

WD40 does a HORRIBLE job at lubing anything, period. Clean the thing off with a toothbrush and kerosene and take a rag with a pool of gear oil and rub it on. Get the chain nice and slick on all parts, then take a clean paper towel and wipe off all the excess pretty well.

Sounds good, think I'm gonna go do that right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Are tank bags as bad as bumper bras on a car? I want something to keep my tank looking nice on my new sv650.