Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
So I spent a long time with 2 instances of xgear into separate channels and your right 16bit makes it a real whammy wah. I had been using 44.1 for the last bit to conserve space in day to day random recordings, and then bumping up on days we track drums and stuff. I would like to see that paper. I am not the best at maths but i had a few acoustical physics classes and got A's so it would be a cool read.

Thanks again man the AT2M whammy emulation is the bee knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

archie posted:

yeah it wasn't the greatest description... 'saturated but controllable' sounds like the one i'd be keen. no budget contraints as i'm sure most of them would be cheaper than the at least $1k i'd be spending on a rack for the same purpose.

i'm trying to add warmth, a fuller sound and some crunchy stuff to audio coming out of my synths and other things from the sampler.

thanks for any advice!

I'd recommend going through the different pedals on this page and this page and listening to the demos to help you make your choice. The most famous examples are the Boss DS-1, the Big Muff, or anything with the words "tube" or "screamer" in it.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of all the Zvex distortions (you said you had a big budget, right?). The Homebrew Electronics Big D is fantastic as well and probably one of the most versatile distortion boxes you can find.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
What's the sickest tremolo pedal available under $200? Like, one with settings that are just absolutely as rough and choppy as you can possibly get, like mechanical in nature and not at all natural sounding.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Just over 200... but I love this thing: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GigFX-The-Chopper?sku=150352

http://www.gig-fx.com/products/Chopper/chopper.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWg2s2wfxqY

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Oh wow that certainly is intriguing looking. That might be worth the price, actually. Love the built-in express pedal, always thought more pedals should be built like wahs.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Only thing is, it has no real engage/disengage switch. You roll-on to activate it, so I'm sure it colors the tone like crazy.

More along the lines of a conventional Vib/Trem pedal... check out the EHX Wiggler. My old roommate has one and it's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQRo9YyL8H8&feature=channel_page

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Scarf posted:

Only thing is, it has no real engage/disengage switch. You roll-on to activate it, so I'm sure it colors the tone like crazy.

More along the lines of a conventional Vib/Trem pedal... check out the EHX Wiggler. My old roommate has one and it's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQRo9YyL8H8&feature=channel_page

Thanks, but that's kinda the opposite of what I'm looking for. It has a very natural sounding tone that I'm trying to avoid (for my own silly purposes). Ordinarily though I love EHX stuff so that was otherwise a great suggestion.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Stayne Falls posted:

What's the sickest tremolo pedal available under $200? Like, one with settings that are just absolutely as rough and choppy as you can possibly get, like mechanical in nature and not at all natural sounding.

I know this is much more than the $200 limit, but the Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper is by far the choppiest square wave I've tried on high depth settings. Even at fast settings, the helicopter chop keeps chopping away. The designer of other pedal made sure the circuit responds to amplitude changes fast enough to remain choppy at fast settings. Other pedals (like some of the ones i've built with an LED/photoresistor optocoupler cannot respond fast enough and starts blending together at fast speeds losing all choppiness. It also has tap tempo and a 4-stage sequencer (and a ton of other options) and has a lot of value despite the high price tag.

I should mention the designer is a good friend of mine and I had a hand in the early development of the pedal. But I am genuinely enthusiastic about how it turned out.

Here is a page where I did some Youtube demonstrations of the pedal.

Actually the first video of that Youtube clip is probably what you are looking for. Super choppy, mechanical, and unnatural.

80k fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 2, 2009

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

80k posted:

I know this is much more than the $200 limit, but the Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper is by far the choppiest square wave I've tried on high depth settings. Even at fast settings, the helicopter chop keeps chopping away. The designer of other pedal made sure the circuit responds to amplitude changes fast enough to remain choppy at fast settings. Other pedals (like some of the ones i've built with an LED/photoresistor optocoupler cannot respond fast enough and starts blending together at fast speeds losing all choppiness. It also has tap tempo and a 4-stage sequencer (and a ton of other options) and has a lot of value despite the high price tag.

I should mention the designer is a good friend of mine and I had a hand in the early development of the pedal. But I am genuinely enthusiastic about how it turned out.

Here is a page where I did some Youtube demonstrations of the pedal.

Actually the first video of that Youtube clip is probably what you are looking for. Super choppy, mechanical, and unnatural.

Wow, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thank you! That 4MS pedal is pretty wicked too. You should do a demo with the DD-7 and see what kind of linking/tonal fuckery options are available with those. This is a pretty new pedal eh?

Might be worth the $340 considering all those options. Again, thank you.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Stayne Falls posted:

Wow, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thank you! That 4MS pedal is pretty wicked too. You should do a demo with the DD-7 and see what kind of linking/tonal fuckery options are available with those. This is a pretty new pedal eh?

Might be worth the $340 considering all those options. Again, thank you.

It's only new in that it's only now becoming more readily available.

First run was 20 pedals which sold out a couple years ago. He is in the midst of a 150-pedal run (3 mini-runs of 50 pedals each). The first 50 is gone, but his next batch of 50 is coming up pretty soon.

Go to the HC effects forum and search for goatkeeper. There are a lot of threads talking about it, and many more youtube videos to check out.

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?

hamaien posted:

I'd recommend going through the different pedals on this page and this page and listening to the demos to help you make your choice. The most famous examples are the Boss DS-1, the Big Muff, or anything with the words "tube" or "screamer" in it.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of all the Zvex distortions (you said you had a big budget, right?). The Homebrew Electronics Big D is fantastic as well and probably one of the most versatile distortion boxes you can find.

ahh awesome cheers!

i've come across this a couple of times - seems like it's something i'm after do you have any experience / know anything about it?

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-trimode-sounds.htm

thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I have no experience with the Trimode, but I do use the Hot British all the time. It's a fantastic pedal, extremely versatile (though the EQ adjustments take some getting used to and aren't totally intuitive) with a very powerful and professional sound. It's also built like a tank, definitely intended to stand up to touring.

They advertise them as Tube Distortion but that's more marketing than authenticity - they do use tubes in them, but it's a starved plate configuration. The higher voltage of the pedals affords them a lot of headroom in the actual clipping stages (diodes) and then they feed that already pretty dynamic sound into the starved plate tube, which, operating at the lower end of its curve, basically just "tubes up" the soun so to speak, softening the harsher diode clipping and giving it some sag/tube-like response. Don't be afraid of starved plate, it's not evil or bad or anything, but don't buy it just because it says tube. Buy it because it sounds good and does what you need (if it does!).

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'm moving up to a better amp than what I have, but this amp doesn't have in-built chorus. I've been meaning to get a dedicated chorus pedal for a while but I kept putting it off because my current amp has it built in and I'm lazy.

So what do you guys reckon is the BEST chorus pedal for a decent price? I've been getting a lot of Boss super chorus suggestions. Reckon I should just go with that?

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
get a CE-2 instead. A pure classic.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I've always been a fan of the Small Clone. It's not as versatile as the rest but it's pretty unique.

El Drecko
Aug 25, 2003

by Ozma
OK I need a new overdrive or distortion pedal. I'm running an Ibanez JS-1000 (with a Dimarzio Fred at the bridge and a PAF Pro at the neck) through a Fender Silverface Twin reverb. I switch between single coil and humbucker (the JS1000 has a phase switch for that) to get different sounds.

I'm currently using an ancient Boss Turbo Overdrive. I didn't use it for years because I owned a high-gain amp, but now I hear its awful - the sound is harsh and ugly. And I'm looking for something more warm and full, both for chords in the background and solos that need to cut through nicely.
I've heard good things about the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and the above-mentioned ZVex pedals, any other tips?

Rumpleforeskin
Mar 9, 2005

Anyone have an Empress Super Delay? I'm wondering if it really is as superior to, say, an EHX SMMH as the price would indicate. The demos sound pretty amazing, but outside of the more gimmicky features, do the basic digital/analog delays on this thing blow the pedals that are half its price out of the water?

archie
Sep 16, 2003

while we're talking about distortion stuff..

i now have my mind + heart set on a frostwave sonic alienator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwt7LfNNTRM

yewwww!

sounds pretty epic with the machinedrum in that clip. i sure love my MD

derivativ
May 29, 2006

PRESTIGE CLASS: TANTRUMANCER
A little background:

In my current band I've been playing without any kind of effects for a long time, but recently we've been writing some more dub-influenced parts and I've got a couple of ideas that sound really good with delayed accents.

Right now I've got a Danelectro Dan Echo that I picked up in a lot of old Danelectro pedals, and overall it's a pretty good-sounding pedal, but since I'm really not looking to do anything but accents I don't really like having to hit it, play the note I want to repeat, and then hit it again to stop the effect. I'm just not the most coordinated dude in the world and our music has a lot of very abrupt stylistic changes, so it's hard to pull this off and it seems really likely that I'll gently caress it up live regardless of how much I practice it.

So in short my question is, are there any (fairly cheap) delay pedals on the market that feature a mode where the effect is only engaged while you're actively holding the button down with your foot? Or, alternatively, any delays that feature a strictly-mechanical bypass switch that I could theoretically remove the 'lock' mechanism from so the switch won't stay engaged, causing it to behave how I'd like it to?

And of course if anyone has a better suggestion than either of the above options, I'd love to hear it.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

El Drecko posted:

OK I need a new overdrive or distortion pedal. I'm running an Ibanez JS-1000 (with a Dimarzio Fred at the bridge and a PAF Pro at the neck) through a Fender Silverface Twin reverb. I switch between single coil and humbucker (the JS1000 has a phase switch for that) to get different sounds.

I'm currently using an ancient Boss Turbo Overdrive. I didn't use it for years because I owned a high-gain amp, but now I hear its awful - the sound is harsh and ugly. And I'm looking for something more warm and full, both for chords in the background and solos that need to cut through nicely.
I've heard good things about the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and the above-mentioned ZVex pedals, any other tips?

Checkout the Fulltone OCD. It is byfar one of the most used pedals on my board, I can use it for everything from very slight overdrive, to full on distortion, and it sounds amazing. Having the singlecoil and humbucker also will make the pedal react very differently, you will get alot of variety and flexibility with it.

HB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ3iumBEvCE
SC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4diQzCr87qA

What about Xotic? They make an AC - or a BB boost/distortion pedals. give them a listen, I like what Ive heard from these, but haven't had a chance to try them myself.

Ive also heard good things about some of the BYOC pedals, have a buddy who swears by them.

If you want to go boutique, the Lovepedal Eternity is bangin...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43hY07IqTvI

El Drecko
Aug 25, 2003

by Ozma
Thanks. Those Fulltone pedals sound really good in the demos...the OCD has more drive and grit, but the Fulldrive has the boost function incorporated. And they're both loving expensive. I'm just gonna have to try both in the store and spend the money of the next few gigs on one of them, probably.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

El Drecko posted:

Thanks. Those Fulltone pedals sound really good in the demos...the OCD has more drive and grit, but the Fulldrive has the boost function incorporated. And they're both loving expensive. I'm just gonna have to try both in the store and spend the money of the next few gigs on one of them, probably.

Get them used definatley, those pedals are built like loving tanks and they should last anything. you might find some deals on TGP if you're patient. I got my OCD for 90 bucks from a local used place.

The boost on the fulldrive is pretty nice...

e:spelling

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

archie posted:

while we're talking about distortion stuff..

i now have my mind + heart set on a frostwave sonic alienator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwt7LfNNTRM

yewwww!

sounds pretty epic with the machinedrum in that clip. i sure love my MD

God drat that is amazing. At first I was like this is disgusting, And then I was like...this is disgusting! Someone on youtube said they don't make this anymore and that this is a good alternative:

http://wmdevices.com/geiger.php

Edit: no gently caress that I want all of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayrpX6go9g8&feature=related

Gaza fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 12, 2009

archie
Sep 16, 2003

yotube is blocked at work - i'm guessing it's the one with the jonox m-resonator and the other one as well as the frostwave thingy?

i've been doing some research and the frostwave guy is having a timeout for a few months to believe it or not open a second-hand book shop. no time-frame but apparently sometime in the not-too-distant future.

in the meantime i'll have to make do with a jomox t-resonator (check it - like the m-resonator but with crazy delay stuff...)

http://www.jomox.com/product_details.php?lang=2&category=&product_id=3

drat that geiger counter is nuts!

your nick lends itself to these kind of effects pretty nicely too

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

archie posted:

yotube is blocked at work - i'm guessing it's the one with the jonox m-resonator and the other one as well as the frostwave thingy?

i've been doing some research and the frostwave guy is having a timeout for a few months to believe it or not open a second-hand book shop. no time-frame but apparently sometime in the not-too-distant future.

in the meantime i'll have to make do with a jomox t-resonator (check it - like the m-resonator but with crazy delay stuff...)

http://www.jomox.com/product_details.php?lang=2&category=&product_id=3

drat that geiger counter is nuts!

your nick lends itself to these kind of effects pretty nicely too

I'm trying to recreate this stuff with vst's. Not entirely too difficult but I much prefer actual knobs and something portable. I more like to use over the top filters and delays for synth and drums though. My username is a song title.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
I realise that a lot has been said about compressors in the last few pages, so I'm not looking to rehash that. But has anyone got any opinions on the Pigtronix Attack/Sustain compressor?

YouTube demo

More details

Now the only reason I want a compressor is to put it at the end of my chain, and use my volume pedal as a dirt controller (volume pedal is positioned in front of my distortion pedal). I like having a foot pedal to control dirt, but without a compressor there's a massive difference in overall volume between low gain and high gain levels.

This Pigtronix box just appeared at my local store for AUD$440. The attack function seems pretty cool, too, giving automatic volume swells, and it has a wet/dry blend, which I gather is important in compressors.

So, anyone played with it? Or experience with Pigtronix in general?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Does the Barber Dirty Bomb have more gain than a Boss DS-1? I'm looking for a sound with a bit more gain, but my DS-1 is dimed.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
This involves vocals but I figure it's best suited for this thread.

In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhEA04K45vw&feature=related

Two questions:

1. Does anybody recognize the equipment Kele is using to get his voice to repeat like that? I checked Wiki and it says he has a Boss Loop Station plugged into his guitar but only a Line 6 DL4 and Boss PS-5 hooked up to his voice. Is this a feature of the DL4 that I didn't know about?

2. How the hell is he hooking up guitar pedals to manipulate his voice in the first place? I've tried this before by running the XLR -> DI box -> Pedal -> PA but it didn't work. I'm very curious as to how he's setting that up because I'd love to try it with my band.

Thanks for any help.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I really hate to bring them up again, but I couldn't find the answer before...

What exactly does a compressor DO? Based on the name, I would guess that it compresses the signal, but exactly what does that do to your sound and why would I want one?

(For the record, I play anything rock-oriented. From B.B to Metallica)

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Hammer Floyd posted:

I really hate to bring them up again, but I couldn't find the answer before...

What exactly does a compressor DO? Based on the name, I would guess that it compresses the signal, but exactly what does that do to your sound and why would I want one?

(For the record, I play anything rock-oriented. From B.B to Metallica)

It's my understanding that a compressor "compresses" the volume of the guitar. That is, it brings the lower volume notes up and limits the louder notes so that everything is level. This may only be with extreme levels of compression though, so who knows?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Think of a compressor as a gain knob linked to a volume meter. Typically when you hit a guitar string, there's an initial spike which levels off quickly, then slowly tails off. A compressor ducks the gain quickly during that initial spike and then gradually applies gain as the note decays. The effect is a smoother sound and longer sustain. You're basically adjusting the intensity of the attack and decay.

There are hundreds of compressors out there, and many of them attempt to produce different styles of compression. A Barber Tone Press, for example, sounds different from a DynaComp or BBE Opto Stomp. Some work better with distortion than others, and some are built specifically for Tele twang.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I have a weird problem with my volume pedal and overdrive. I have the following signal chain running:

Fender Jaguar or Precision bass -> Ernie Ball Volume Pedal (the large one) -> Fulltone bassdrive -> Markbass CMD121P

Pretty simple right? The problem I've been having is to do with the volume pedal. When in the full open or closed position, everything works perfectly with the bassdrive on or off. Any volume inbetween however, makes some awful noise when the overdrive is on. Three things I have noticed:
  • When the overdrive is off, there is no noise when the volume pedal is in the mid position.
  • When the volume pedal is physically touching the bassdrive, the noise stops when the volume pedal is in the mid position. I can't seem to reproduce this using an aligator clip, but that might be my lovely clip.
  • When the volume pedal is after the bassdrive, there is no noise in the mid position.
Normally I have either my Jaguar or precision hooked up, but even when there is no input into the volume pedal, there is still noise in the mid position when the overdrive is on.

So I'm at a loss really to explain this. I guess it could be a grounding problem, which seems strange considering the volume pedal's circuit should be isolated from its chassis.

Any thoughts?

Wobegon
Jan 13, 2007

by The Finn

Stayne Falls posted:

This involves vocals but I figure it's best suited for this thread.

In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhEA04K45vw&feature=related

Two questions:

1. Does anybody recognize the equipment Kele is using to get his voice to repeat like that? I checked Wiki and it says he has a Boss Loop Station plugged into his guitar but only a Line 6 DL4 and Boss PS-5 hooked up to his voice. Is this a feature of the DL4 that I didn't know about?

2. How the hell is he hooking up guitar pedals to manipulate his voice in the first place? I've tried this before by running the XLR -> DI box -> Pedal -> PA but it didn't work. I'm very curious as to how he's setting that up because I'd love to try it with my band.

Thanks for any help.

DL4 does this. Some mics can just use a xlr->1/4 in cable and go right into effects pedals.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Doomy posted:

Any thoughts?
Why not just run that setup with the Volume pedal after the drive? You said yourself it makes no noise that way. To my knowledge, volume pedals always go last in the signal chain, maybe stuff like this is why? (could be wrong on that)

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Gorilla Salsa posted:

To my knowledge, volume pedals always go last in the signal chain
There is no always with signal chains. Lots of people run volume pedals in front of dirt, they are quite useful there and with a different utility from the end of the chain. Volume pedal at the end of the chain is for when you want a straight-up volume control that doesn't have any other effect on the signal which well is boring :)

In the specific chain he posted the volume pedal is acting as an input gain control for the overdrive, when placed afterwards it would instead act as an output gain control which is a whole different type of useful.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Doomy posted:

I have a weird problem with my volume pedal and overdrive. I have the following signal chain running:

Fender Jaguar or Precision bass -> Ernie Ball Volume Pedal (the large one) -> Fulltone bassdrive -> Markbass CMD121P

Pretty simple right? The problem I've been having is to do with the volume pedal. When in the full open or closed position, everything works perfectly with the bassdrive on or off. Any volume inbetween however, makes some awful noise when the overdrive is on. Three things I have noticed:
  • When the overdrive is off, there is no noise when the volume pedal is in the mid position.
  • When the volume pedal is physically touching the bassdrive, the noise stops when the volume pedal is in the mid position. I can't seem to reproduce this using an aligator clip, but that might be my lovely clip.
  • When the volume pedal is after the bassdrive, there is no noise in the mid position.
Normally I have either my Jaguar or precision hooked up, but even when there is no input into the volume pedal, there is still noise in the mid position when the overdrive is on.

So I'm at a loss really to explain this. I guess it could be a grounding problem, which seems strange considering the volume pedal's circuit should be isolated from its chassis.

Any thoughts?

This could be some sort of LRC resonance that is piqued up in the mid range of that EBvolume pot. What is the noise exactly?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Why not just run that setup with the Volume pedal after the drive? You said yourself it makes no noise that way. To my knowledge, volume pedals always go last in the signal chain, maybe stuff like this is why? (could be wrong on that)

I like my volume pedals before delay but after dirt. That way I can swell in and still get delay trails.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

GrAviTy84 posted:

I like my volume pedals before delay but after dirt. That way I can swell in and still get delay trails.
Oh god I know, I love that. It also lets you fade out or just straight up cut out your signal without messing with the delay trails. I play in a weird noisy band so during live shows when I have to change guitars I love to get a nice soundscape happening with the delay feedback up high, bring my volume down to zero with the pedal then unplug and go grab my other guitar while the delay pedal is still makin' music :). Dead air during instrument changes or between songs is for suckers.

Even if you don't do any wacky delay poo poo, I don't know why people use volume pedals after delay. It seems to me like it could only be less useful than before.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Col.Kiwi posted:

Even if you don't do any wacky delay poo poo, I don't know why people use volume pedals after delay. It seems to me like it could only be less useful than before.

In the same vein, I don't know why you'd need to run a volume pedal before dirt. You have one built into your guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

GrAviTy84 posted:

In the same vein, I don't know why you'd need to run a volume pedal before dirt. You have one built into your guitar.

If all you're doing is lowering and raising the output of your guitar in an ordinary usage scenario (say, to get more or less crunch out of your setup), the volume pot is fine. On the other hand if you're doing swells or otherwise altering your amplitude for effect, OR if you intend to adjust the volume without having to keep a hand on your volume knob, a pedal's a good way to go.