Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

Ok, so taking it by baby steps:

A new rider accelerates down a straight, and then comes to a corner. They approach the corner, fail to navigate it, and either run wide or lowside. Why did they run wide? Because they came in too fast, freaked out, and stood it up and tried to brake. Or, they didn't have the comfort to negotiate the corner at that speed because they were coming into the corner too fast. Or the lowsided because they came in too fast, freaked out, and grabbed a handful of brake.

Which bike is it easier to come in to a corner too hot on? A 600cc, 110hp I4, or a 28hp 250?

Remember, this situation is 2/3rds of single vehicle motorcycle crashes. Avoiding this one situation cuts out the vast majority of single vehicle accidents.

So...what bike is it easier to come in to a corner too hot on as a novice rider: A literbike, or a 250?

I guess a 250 is easier but only one person out of my 20 riding buddies have had this happen but that was 5 years ago and he had already been riding for a couple years. Don't newbies go into corners really slow anyway? If you're scared of your current speed don't you just slow down on the throttle? These situations and ideas seem good on paper, but of everyone I've talked to and ridden with, the power of your bike has little to no impact on learning. If anything, it's more about the weight and style of the bike. A 350lb bike will be much better than a 420lb bike.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Jack the Smack posted:

I was saving up to get a GSXR 750 and almost had enough, when my dad said he would give me the money to buy a new bike that day if it were the one he saw on craigslist (me not knowing much about bikes decided to go along since it looked like the bike I wanted. Also since it was 1000ccs instead of 750, MORE CCs MEANS MORE POWER!!!!).

Since then, I've learned this bike is not an I4 and after riding all my friends bikes I hate almost every aspect that comes with a V-twin (vibrations, sound, engine braking).

Are you saying that you think your SV1000 is a dualsport?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Jack the Smack posted:

What situation would this cause a newbie to mess up? When as a newbie have you gone full throttle for 10 seconds and the whole time going "Oh poo poo how do I slow down?!"

The first ride I took down the highway on my bike I overshot the speed limit by about 40mph. I ended up slowly backing off the throttle and giving it some heavy front brake to slow it down before I got a ticket. Ways a newbie could get hurt:

1. Butt pain of massive speeding ticket

2. Oh poo poo too fast, best be shutting her down. Slams throttle shut and goes flying over handle bars.

3. oh poo poo too fast, best be shutting her down. Slams on rear brake, lowsides going 100+

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Krakkles posted:

Sport Touring. Touring bike and Sport bike in one, dual purpose.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack the Smack posted:

I was saving up to get a GSXR 750 and almost had enough, when my dad said he would give me the money to buy a new bike that day if it were the one he saw on craigslist (me not knowing much about bikes decided to go along since it looked like the bike I wanted. Also since it was 1000ccs instead of 750, MORE CCs MEANS MORE POWER!!!!).

Since then, I've learned this bike is not an I4 and after riding all my friends bikes I hate almost every aspect that comes with a V-twin (vibrations, sound, engine braking).

This is either a really elaborate troll thats actually working pretty well, or you're just the dumbest person in this forum.

I'm betting on the latter.

quote:

I was convinced not to get a sport bike, but a dual sport bike by my parents (A GSXR 750 was my first choice) and so I dropped $5700 and now I regret it every day.

So people should never disuade others from getting the bike they want because babby didnt get his 750 gixxer?

Krakkles posted:

Ha! Despite the obviousness of the SV in his avatar, I though he was talking about a Vstrom 1000. This makes it even worse.

Jack the Smack posted:

Since then, I've learned this bike is not an I4

You should never give any advice about bikes to anyone ever.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 5, 2009

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Jack the Smack posted:

Sport Touring. Touring bike and Sport bike in one, dual purpose.

That's not what a dualsport is.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Jack the Smack posted:

What situation would this cause a newbie to mess up? When as a newbie have you gone full throttle for 10 seconds and the whole time going "Oh poo poo how do I slow down?!"
Maybe the situation during a shift where the newbie is trying to speed shift, pulls the throttle open too early, dumps the clutch too fast, ends up with a wheel in the air, panics, snaps the throttle closed, (or worse, nails the brakes) and goes down?

A youtube search will pretty easily find newbies pulling accidental wheelies and not knowing what to do.

Edit: Or even way less elaborate, 10 seconds of full throttle, seeing a deer or car pulling out, and grabbing the front brake WAY too hard. Too much brake is another easy to find crash video.

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 5, 2009

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

dietcokefiend posted:

The first ride I took down the highway on my bike I overshot the speed limit by about 40mph. I ended up slowly backing off the throttle and giving it some heavy front brake to slow it down before I got a ticket. Ways a newbie could get hurt:

1. Butt pain of massive speeding ticket

2. Oh poo poo too fast, best be shutting her down. Slams throttle shut and goes flying over handle bars.

3. oh poo poo too fast, best be shutting her down. Slams on rear brake, lowsides going 100+

So as a newbie you never checked your speed at all times? Even if this did happen, which I highly doubt did:

1: Yea, that sucks. I would hate for this to happen:
2: I4 sport bikes have very little engine braking, I've dropped the throttle on a CBR 600 while red lining in first gear and it definitely does not send you "flying over the handle bars.", not even close to a tank slapper.
3:I've slammed the rear brake on plenty of bikes and they definitely don't lowside.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack the Smack posted:

3:I've slammed the rear brake on plenty of bikes and they definitely don't lowside.

Rear brakes tend to provide not all that much braking right up until the lockup point, then.......they lock up. Which newbies usually hold too long, till it turns into a tail slide, then they panic and let go, which turns into a highside. Lowsides are pretty rare from that, but the resulting highsides are even worse.

All you're doing here is revealing how much you dont really know, just quit already.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When did an SV1000 become a dual sport?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

chryst posted:

A youtube search will pretty easily find newbies pulling accidental wheelies and not knowing what to do.

Edit: Or even way less elaborate, 10 seconds of full throttle, seeing a deer or car pulling out, and grabbing the front brake WAY too hard. Too much brake is another easy to find crash video.

Cool, videos on youtube. How many friends do you know that this has happened to and was attributed to a too powerful of a bike?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Jack the Smack posted:

Sport bikes aren't death machines, they just attract people who like to go fast and drive crazy, and those people are what attribute higher accident rates. People on scooters are just as likely to be hit and run over by cars and trucks, the real killers of motorcyclists. Every person I know who has fallen on a bike and not been hit by another vehicle has had zero injuries except road rash.

You always give such horrible advice on this front, I don't know why you don't just stop. Every single time, someone says "No, JTS. A 600cc supersport is not ideal," and yet every time you parade this "powerful bikes don't kill people, dumb people kill people" thing out, and it's just like talking to a wall.

Can people start on a 600cc supersport? Yes.
Can people start on a litrebike? Certainly.

Do beginning riders always have the ability to judge what they should be doing on these machines when they lack experience? Not generally.

There are exceptions to rules, but you need to stop treating everybody as though they're it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack the Smack posted:

Cool, videos on youtube. How many friends do you know that this has happened to and was attributed to a too powerful of a bike?

Is it really that hard to imagine a new rider getting in over their head with a powerful bike, then grabbing a handful of brake? I've seen it happen, about 20 feet behind my bike. The result was a concussion and broken clavacle.

Thanks for playing though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jack the Smack posted:

I guess a 250 is easier but only one person out of my 20 riding buddies have had this happen but that was 5 years ago and he had already been riding for a couple years. Don't newbies go into corners really slow anyway? If you're scared of your current speed don't you just slow down on the throttle? These situations and ideas seem good on paper, but of everyone I've talked to and ridden with, the power of your bike has little to no impact on learning. If anything, it's more about the weight and style of the bike. A 350lb bike will be much better than a 420lb bike.

These are the simple facts of the matter: The majority of single bike crashes are from people coming in too hot. It is easier to come in too hot on a faster bike than a slower one. Newbies make all kinds of mistakes that will lead to them not being able to negotiate a corner...getting overwhelmed by acceleration, loving up shifting, loving up braking, tensing up on the bars, etc. They're noobs, they don't know what the gently caress they're doing, and even if they think they know what the gently caress they're doing or have some idea of what the right thing is to do, they still rarely manage to actually pull it off, because they're too busy being terrified to actually do the right thing, regardless of how simple pulling a lever gently to slow down is.

I bet your friends have some fantastic stories about how they were just coming in so fast and the tires just wouldn't stick, man, gently caress!

They're full of poo poo. They were doing well under the limit of the bike, they just don't have a loving clue how to ride. I've seen guys that stayed off the throttle so long that they'd drag the loving fairings from the suspension bottoming out. They'd swear they were totally going so fast, but they're off the gas, the bikes in the wrong place, their body is in the wrong place, and they think because they're dragging hard parts, they're at some sort of limit. They're idiots, and they're usually the ones recommending 600s for new riders. Don't be that guy. Learn to ride, go to the track, and try not to get yourself and other riders killed giving stupid advice.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Jack the Smack posted:

You really think anecdotal evidence is more valuable than video?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jack the Smack posted:

I've seen it happen in front of me more times than I can count. I stopped going on group rides because I got tired of picking up and fixing crashed bikes. Nothing kills a good ride like someone dumping their poo poo and/or getting hurt.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Jack the Smack posted:

I don't know anyone who's died in a car accident, so that means that seatbelts are useless and it's stupid to suggest using them, and any videos on youtube of people flying out of cars in no way indicates that seat belts should be worn.

At this point though, I'm going to just say bravo on effective and quality trolling.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

chryst posted:

At this point though, I'm going to just say bravo on effective and quality trolling.

Its a tough call at this point

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

chryst posted:

Maybe the situation during a shift where the newbie is trying to speed shift, pulls the throttle open too early, dumps the clutch too fast, ends up with a wheel in the air, panics, snaps the throttle closed, (or worse, nails the brakes) and goes down?

One I've seen a few times around here is new riders shifting to a lower gear before a corner, letting out the clutch, getting intense engine braking because they chose too low a gear, and then in a panic gunning the accelerator to speed up and going all wobbly into their turn.

On a smaller bike this looks hilarious. Only a larger bike it would probably be a really lovely accident.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Jack the Smack posted:

So as a newbie you never checked your speed at all times? Even if this did happen, which I highly doubt did:

1: Yea, that sucks. I would hate for this to happen:
2: I4 sport bikes have very little engine braking, I've dropped the throttle on a CBR 600 while red lining in first gear and it definitely does not send you "flying over the handle bars.", not even close to a tank slapper.

Actually yea, when I first started riding my perception of speed was completely skewed. At first I was thinking I was going way too fast when I was actually going like 45 instead of 60, and then I started going too fast. Look down, holy poo poo I am going 90 in a 60 zone. This is with a late 80's 600cc, which has half the HP of a modern 600cc bike.

2. Someone please post the quote about the R6 owner who almost flew off their bike going up the onramp.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

8ender posted:

One I've seen a few times around here is new riders shifting to a lower gear before a corner, letting out the clutch, getting intense engine braking because they chose too low a gear, and then in a panic gunning the accelerator to speed up and going all wobbly into their turn.

On a smaller bike this looks hilarious. Only a larger bike it would probably be a really lovely accident.

I did this. I did it on my way to the SoCal maintenance day we had a few months ago, actually. Making a right turn, I went for first, should've stayed in second. Second half of the mistake was turning in before the clutch was out :/ It worked out ok, because I've been riding on dirt for years, and I just ended up backing it in rather spectacularly (two guys in a suburban that were in the left turn lane I was sliding toward were actually cheering), but if I'd been on a more powerful bike, going faster, or less experienced with maintaining balance on two wheels, I more than likely would've just hit the Suburban or dumped the bike.

Edit for dietcokefiend:

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Here is a great little story of mine, which happened completely from starting on a bike to powerful for my own good.

My first bike was a 2003 Yamaha R6, which I bought brand new at age 23. I was a douchebag back then, no doubt. The only motorcycle experience I had had before that was my MSF course and a couple rides on my roomate's CBR F4i.

The first 1000 miles on the R6 was uneventful. I played the break-in game by the book. Well, the bike finally crosses 1000 miles so my first idea is to take it out to a freeway on-ramp in the middle of the night to "see what the bike can do".

I get onto the on-ramp, put it in 3rd gear around 50mph, and smack the throttle wide open. It took a second as bike went from its 5 or 6k to 8k rpms then wwwwhhhAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH, the bike loving took off.

I had never felt a feeling of acceleration like that before, and it was a bit overwhelming. The shift light flashes on at 15k rpms indicating time to shift, but due to my lack of experience riding high-compression, high HP bikes instead of shifting, I let the throttle roll closed, as in I nearly let go of the throttle allowing it to close suddenly.

Well, that was a very bad idea. The amount of engine braking there is at 15,000 rpms is pretty intense.

I was pulled up forward against the tank during the previous acceleration, and the sudden change to extreme deceleration was a huge surprise. The deceleration was so extreme my feet left the pegs, my rear end left the seat, my helmet slammed forward into the windscreen and slid over it. Here I am, staring down at the ground and my front tire at nearly 100 mph.

My arms couldn't support me, and my chest fell forward onto the windshield, which held and kept me on the bike. My crotch comes down into the top of the tank, and luckily I was able to slide back into the seat.

That was a learning experience that I am very lucky I didn't learn the hard way. I had a ton of near-misses on that R6, but rode it for 2 years and 16,000 miles without an accident. Like someone had said before, it was not due to experience that I didn't wreck, but completely by luck. I have many friends who started like me on a SS 600, and they all wrecked. Every single one of them.

Can you start on a SS 600? Sure. My 20 year old brother in law is buying his first bike and asked what he should get. With my advice he is buying a 2008 Ninja 250.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 5, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

^^^^ This is precisely the kind of thing I was getting at.

Also, I called this in advance. +1 point to me.

Doctor Zero posted:

And before the inevitable I LEARNED ON A DUCATI SUPERSPORT AND I'M FINE posts, I'll point out that powerful bikes are a whole lot less forgiving than bikes more befitting a new rider. All it takes is a mistake on the throttle and the bike can become a rocket that a newbie won't know how to control.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Krakkles posted:

I did this. I did it on my way to the SoCal maintenance day we had a few months ago, actually. Making a right turn, I went for first, should've stayed in second. Second half of the mistake was turning in before the clutch was out :/

I did something similar for a different reason. My throttle cable snapped last weekend and I ended up limping home using the push cable and some zip ties. Problem is that something slipped as I got into town and my throttle was stuck open at around 6000 rpms. I was also trying to outrun a thunderstorm.

On the final right turn onto my street I did my usual shift from 4th to 2nd to make the corner and completely forgot about the throttle being stuck on. Let out the clutch before the turn expecting engine braking but instead the rear tire broke loose. I had the good sense to abandon the corner and did a heroic burnout past the corner and down the street before I pulled in the clutch and limped the bike home.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

Jack the Smack posted:

By no means the stupidest thing you've said in this thread, I did find this the most offensive.

Sport twins rule and you've got no class t:mad:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

8ender posted:

I had the good sense to abandon the corner and did a heroic burnout past the corner and down the street before I pulled in the clutch and limped the bike home.

Man, you only did a heroic burnout? If you'd had a bigger displacement bike, you could have done the heroic burnout wheelie combination for a bonus multiplier. I bet you only got like 200 points for that poo poo.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Twenty-Seven posted:

By no means the stupidest thing you've said in this thread, I did find this the most offensive.

Sport twins rule and you've got no class t:mad:

I love it that the engines supposedly have more torque than an I4 like everyone says, but then when you check the gear ratios you realize that I4s can go 90 in first and a V-twin with the same displacement goes 70 in first, and that if you bumped the I4 down or the V-twin up the V-twin would have way less torque in comparison.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Jack the Smack posted:

If he's not set on looks, he could use an epoxy paste made for plastics instead of velcro. That will hold up much better against winds.

How tall is he? I have the stock low windscreen, I'm 6 foot 3 inches in height, and unless I'm going 120+ I can comfortably ride sitting up. Is he wearing a leather jacket? A full face helmet?

I'll put he epoxy idea to him when I see him tonight. He's about 5' 10" give or take. He wears a full face helmet and jacket, yes. For reference, he had a CBR 600 way back in the day when it was called the Hurricane. From what he's told me, the screen on that was perfect for him and the wind went right over him. One thing he keeps saying is that if the aerodynamics on his hurricane were that good, why wouldn't the busa's be also. It might just be a matter of comparison or personal taste that he wants a taller screen. Granted he hasn't had a biek since his hurricane 20 odd years ago.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Jack the Smack posted:

I love it that the engines supposedly have more torque than an I4 like everyone says, but then when you check the gear ratios you realize that I4s can go 90 in first and a V-twin with the same displacement goes 70 in first, and that if you bumped the I4 down or the V-twin up the V-twin would have way less torque in comparison.

:what:

Uh ... do you understand anything about how the world works?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

Seriously?

Gearing changes the RPM to speed ratio, not the amount of torque that an engine puts out.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Methusulah posted:

I'll put he epoxy idea to him when I see him tonight. He's about 5' 10" give or take. He wears a full face helmet and jacket, yes. For reference, he had a CBR 600 way back in the day when it was called the Hurricane. From what he's told me, the screen on that was perfect for him and the wind went right over him. One thing he keeps saying is that if the aerodynamics on his hurricane were that good, why wouldn't the busa's be also. It might just be a matter of comparison or personal taste that he wants a taller screen. Granted he hasn't had a biek since his hurricane 20 odd years ago.

The busa is designed so that you look through the windshield.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

Seriously?

Gearing changes the RPM to speed ratio, not the amount of torque that an engine puts out.

Yes it does...you get more torque if you increase the RPM to speed ratio so you have less speed.

I've experienced it myself. A ZX6-R with a top speed in first of around 45 but it has huge amounts of torque and wheelies up no problem.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Jack the Smack posted:

Yes it does...you get more torque if you increase the RPM to speed ratio so you have less speed.

I've experienced it myself. A ZX6-R with a top speed in first of around 45 but it has huge amounts of torque and wheelies up no problem.

So the answer to my earlier question is ... no, you do not understand anything about how the world works.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Krakkles posted:

So the answer to my earlier question is ... no, you do not understand anything about how the world works.

So then why does a bike wheelie up easier when in first gear than in second? Magics?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

Gearing still doesn't change how much torque an engine generates. It can lower where in the rev range you make that torque, increasing acceleration at the cost of top speed, but it doesn't change engine output in any way.

See, Jack, this is your problem: You've got a small amount of experience but not enough overall knowledge to really understand how things work. You make big, sweeping assumptions about things, and most of the time you're just wrong. You really need to sit down with some books and spend some time learning about how to actually ride and how motorcycles work before you get yourself hurt with those assumptions. You've been lucky so far...

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I hate my bike.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Jack the Smack posted:

I hate my bike.

Why?

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Jack the Smack posted:

I hate my bike.

Get rid of it and never ride again. Problems solved for everyone! :D

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Jack the Smack posted:

I hate my bike.

I have ridden your bike. The SV1000 is an excellent bike in all respects. It's got all the gear from a mid 90's supersport, with an engine, and gear ratios that are sane. What's not to like?

I can't believe I have to make this point again... You don't hear from the people who failed to learn on 100hp+ bikes for one simple reason. THEY AREN'T RIDING ANYMORE. They aren't on forums, they don't show up to bike shows, they don't associate with other riders. Either because they're completely done with it, or they're dead.

The SV1000 is a sportbike. Yes, it's a 10 year old sportbike, but that's what it is. It's not a sport-tourer, it's not a dual-sport. Strangely enough there is a dual-sport with the SV1000 motor in it, the V-Strom 1000. Dual sport bikes are dirt oriented streetbikes, or street legal dirtbikes. If it's got clipons, it's not a dual-sport.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Jack the Smack posted:

So then why does a bike wheelie up easier when in first gear than in second? Magics?

:science: Science! :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

blugu64 posted:

:science: Science! :science:

:xd:

It's quite amusing how yesterday's sportbikes become today's Sport Tourers. ZX-6E? Won AMA with miguel duhamal in 93. Now it's a sport touring bike! Modern ZZR600? 2001 ZX-6R! SV1000? Detuned TL1000R, now it's a S/T bike! :iiam: