Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jayjo
Dec 18, 2003

I'm looking to get a used bike to ride a couple of miles to work and do some weekend riding. It might be my main method of transportation while the engine is out of my car this summer, but I have access to my girlfriend's truck and with everything I need within a few miles, I should be fine.

I got into a pinch last year while buying a house and sold my bike, so it's been over a year since I've ridden. I'm dying to get back to it even though money is still kind of tight right now. That puts me on a small budget, but I don't mind doing my own work to get something into shape either. I've set my budget ceiling around $2500.

I have had an EX500 and a Yamaha V-Star, and frankly I'm ambivalent about whether to get a sport bike or a cruiser. I should probably add that I'm 5'11 and 220lbs and have been riding about 5 years. I'm in Central IL about 2 hours South of Chicago and an hour of both Bloomington or Peoria.

So far I've been looking at these and looking for some feedback:

http://bn.craigslist.org/mcy/1194238451.html
http://peoria.craigslist.org/mcy/1204345366.html
http://peoria.craigslist.org/mcy/1202473925.html

There's also a 2003 GSXR not far from me, but I'm guessing it's been beat upon for $2500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bukanza
Sep 28, 2001
Does $2,000 for a 1992 Honda Nighthawk 750 with 32K miles sound like an okay deal? Apparently in good shape with a few scratches.

If well maintained, how many miles should I expect to get out of this bike/engine before it gives up the ghost?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jayjo posted:

I'm looking to get a used bike to ride a couple of miles to work and do some weekend riding. It might be my main method of transportation...

Out of those choices I would buy the GS750 because it sounds well taken care of and comfortable if it becomes your main transportation.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Well, since I can't find a V-max locally I think I may just get myself a sportster. Theres a nice 1200 from 2000 thats white, which is a nice change. It's at a dealer with a warranty, so I'm going to go take a look tomorrow or Saturday.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

VTNewb posted:

Well, since I can't find a V-max locally I think I may just get myself a sportster. Theres a nice 1200 from 2000 thats white, which is a nice change. It's at a dealer with a warranty, so I'm going to go take a look tomorrow or Saturday.

Well son of a bitch I just found one at a local dealer for $100 dollars more than the sportster. Maybe I can have them battle for my business.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

VTNewb posted:

A v-max and a sportster aren't the most common bikes to cross shop...Considering that the v-max is a water cooled, 1200cc v4, and the sportster is a 1200cc air cooled V twin that makes a little less than half the HP (in stock form). :confused:

Jayjo
Dec 18, 2003

wormil posted:

Out of those choices I would buy the GS750 because it sounds well taken care of and comfortable if it becomes your main transportation.

Yeah I'm kinda leaning towards that one now. I contacted the person selling the Nighthawk and it had 34k on it for around the same price.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to set up a time to check out the GS750. In the meantime I'm going to scan the umpteen million Craigslist Chicago ads and see if there's any good finds within the same range.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

VTNewb posted:

Get a 2004+

Much better heads, rubber-mounted engine...

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

A v-max and a sportster aren't the most common bikes to cross shop...Considering that the v-max is a water cooled, 1200cc v4, and the sportster is a 1200cc air cooled V twin that makes a little less than half the HP (in stock form). :confused:

In terms of power cruisers a Sportster is the second best choice, especially considering its lower CG, lower weight and better handling. I have lots of free sportster power parts at my disposal as well.

Essentially what's going to happen is I'll get approved for the v-max, and I'm already approved for the sportster. I'll get the salesmen all happy and worked up about getting a sale then tell them I'm working with the other guy about this other bike, and see who goes the lowest. The V-max is clearly cooler, but I'm $$practical$$.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

VTNewb posted:

In terms of power cruisers a Sportster is the second best choice, especially considering its lower CG, lower weight and better handling. I have lots of free sportster power parts at my disposal as well.

Essentially what's going to happen is I'll get approved for the v-max, and I'm already approved for the sportster. I'll get the salesmen all happy and worked up about getting a sale then tell them I'm working with the other guy about this other bike, and see who goes the lowest. The V-max is clearly cooler, but I'm $$practical$$.

I see. Not what I'd expect someone to cross shop, that's all. I hope you get the V-Max :xd: Motorcycles aren't supposed to be about practical anyways ;)

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Welp, I really wanted that V-max, but someone put a 300 dollar deposit on it. BUT, He's from Boston, is driving up tomorrow, and is having trouble finding financing. In a week it goes back on sale.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've never ridden a Sportster but from just sitting on them I imagine they are uncomfortable. I would like to ride one sometime and find out though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wormil posted:

I've never ridden a Sportster but from just sitting on them I imagine they are uncomfortable. I would like to ride one sometime and find out though.

What looks so uncomfortable about them?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

VTNewb posted:

Is it really that practical to get the bike you don't want over the one you do to save a hundred bucks?

If that guy doesn't take it, and there isn't a big difference in financing, I'd say go for the V-Max.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bob Morales posted:

What looks so uncomfortable about them?

Not the looks but the way they sit.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
**First bike buyer.**

I'm looking to get my first bike. I don't want a sport bike (preferably a cruiser), and I've only got $2k to spend (I'm in Canada, if it helps). I've seen a few early 80's Virago's nearby. How good of an idea would that be?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

DrakeriderCa posted:

**First bike buyer.**

I'm looking to get my first bike. I don't want a sport bike (preferably a cruiser), and I've only got $2k to spend (I'm in Canada, if it helps). I've seen a few early 80's Virago's nearby. How good of an idea would that be?

Those 80's Viragos are cheap because they're an electrical nightmare. If you're confident with your electrical skills then they're a great deal.

Check your local cycle salvage shops at that price point. They'll usually have some neat used bikes, new and old, that will fit your price range.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

DrakeriderCa posted:

**First bike buyer.**

I'm a bit iffy on Viragos. Look for 80s nighthawks, they are pretty nice.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gr3y posted:

Is it really that practical to get the bike you don't want over the one you do to save a hundred bucks?

I like both of them quite a bit, hence why I'm looking at both.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wormil posted:

Not the looks but the way they sit.

Explain more.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I am a new rider looking for a first bike. Not looking for an intense amount of power and looking to stay off the highway to begin with. Essentially, a good learning bike that is less likely to get me killed.

I live in the city, so my main purpose is to have something to bounce around town with. However, on the weekends I would want to go into the country and do some back road riding.

Don't want a sport bike, and I am 6'3" tall. Looking for a used bike probably in the range of 2-3k. Anyone have any suggestions?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
V-strom 650.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Thanks for the replies guys. The Virago sold anyways, but the next contenders are a Silverwing 500, and a Shadow 750. Thoughts?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Shadow. The 'Wing is topheavy, and has a waterpump and stator that are no fun to service. It's by no means a "stay away at all costs" bike, but the combination of age and complexity can make for a bad ownership experience.

Talking Head
May 9, 2009
This is what a fat man looks like on a sportbike. Dude should've gone with the Harley.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

talking_head posted:

This is what a fat man looks like on a sportbike. Dude should've gone with the Harley.

Try to imagine what that suit smells like.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

Try to imagine what that suit smells like.

I'm impressed that they make suits in that size. Thats like a whole cow there.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

8ender posted:

he's certainly not going to have a problem with any impacts

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I am a new rider looking for a first bike. Not looking for an intense amount of power and looking to stay off the highway to begin with. Essentially, a good learning bike that is less likely to get me killed.

I live in the city, so my main purpose is to have something to bounce around town with. However, on the weekends I would want to go into the country and do some back road riding.

Don't want a sport bike, and I am 6'3" tall. Looking for a used bike probably in the range of 2-3k. Anyone have any suggestions?

Simkin posted:

V-Strom 650.

A KLR 650 or other japanese dualsport will serve you well too.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Well, looks like the Wing sold too. I'll have to see if the Shadow is still available. Thanks for the patient help though, I really appreciate it.

I found a place nearby that sells used bikes. They have a n 82 GS750E, and an 82 GR650 Tempter. The 750 seems pretty sharp.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

8ender posted:

My thoughts exactly, they just added kneepucks and yellow trim to the raw hide.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
There's a guy around here that rides some cruiser, not sure what type. I keep meaning to get a picture of him. He probably weighs as much as that guy except he rides around in business clothing with no helmet.

I call him Max Preload :3:

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

talking_head posted:

Jesus christ it's like the stay puft marshmallow man learned to ride a motorcycle.

To reword though, that man is not fat, that man is morbidly obese.

Edit: What the hell is he even doing.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Trintintin posted:

Jesus christ it's like the stay puft marshmallow man learned to ride a motorcycle.

To reword though, that man is not fat, that man is morbidly obese.

Edit: What the hell is he even doing.

Getting his cellphone out of a pocket, or putting it back in.

EDIT: checking to see why his airbags inflated during riding

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

dietcokefiend posted:

Getting his Snickers bar out of a pocket

I'm no lightweight, but drat.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
First bike question,

Been looking at street bikes, sv's ninja 650's and even the 250. I grew up riding a little 80cc yamaha dual sport but never got around to getting my license. With that being said above I have started considering the supermotos as a first bike. The street bikes haven't felt that comfortable to me, they feel heavy for what I was used to with the little dirt bike and I am used to riding standup jet skis and the flickability of both the dirt bike and jet ski was something I always liked.

So......

Most of the 400 supermotos from suzuki are on craigslist at about 4k. A new 250x from yamaha is around 5k from what I last recall. I would use the bike for blasting around the backroads, paved of course, and comuting to work from time to time. Is a 400 to much in a supermoto or would a 250 be better? Top speed on the morning commute would be 60mph.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Max Preload
ahahahha yes

i never see those people
vermont is too thin :(

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bob Morales posted:

Explain more.

I'm not sure what you want me to say. I've sat on them at two different dealerships and the riding position didn't feel like it would be comfortable. My wife says I look awkward on a Sportster. A random customer walked by, shook his head and said, "It doesn't fit you." One salesman scrunched up his face, body language for 'you don't look good on that bike' when I sat on one at his dealership. A different salesman told me the Sportster looks too small for me (I'm 5-10, 240 lbs), I assume he meant I'm too fat for such a narrow bike (although thankfully I'm string bean compared to that fatty in talking_head's post above). Part of me is intrigued by the Sportster and part of me dislikes them, which is why I'd like to ride a 1200 someday to find out what I really think of them.

I just bought that Boulevard several weeks ago but already I'm bored with the lack of power and handling. I'm thinking of turning around and selling it to buy something else.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

ahahahha yes

i never see those people
vermont is too thin :(

There's a guy around my town that is absolutely monstrous and sits by the local pizza place on his Goldwing all day. Its all decked out with leather bags and such that he has filled with food. He seems to attract all sorts of skeevy old dudes on beat up Harleys.

I've never seen the Goldwing run or him leave the Goldwing. I suspect he just drives it home and falls asleep on it in his garage. He's like a creepy motorcycle Jabba the hut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reir
Nov 19, 2004
Decided to pull the trigger on this one for my first bike, 88 Honda NX250. I think I'd have a tough time finding a running bike for much cheaper, paid $700. Other than new tires, signals and mirrors I don't see much I need to do with it mechanically, starts up first crank nearly every time w/o the choke. Was wondering if there was a guide for older bikes to check everything out? Is there anything I should do maintenance wise other than lube and oil at this point since it's running good?

Click here for the full 800x600 image.