Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Z3n posted:

:xd:

It's quite amusing how yesterday's sportbikes become today's Sport Tourers. ZX-6E? Won AMA with miguel duhamal in 93. Now it's a sport touring bike! Modern ZZR600? 2001 ZX-6R! SV1000? Detuned TL1000R, now it's a S/T bike! :iiam:

Didn't TL1000Rs have a pretty nasty tendency to kill inexperienced riders? I seem to recall reading some horror stories about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
With the right gearing, a vacuum, and a long enough road, my 250 could reach escape velocity.

edit: and a throttle locker because gently caress if I'm holding it open for hours on end

edit2: ride this poo poo to the moon

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 5, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jack the Smack posted:

I hate my bike.

Are you the helicopter pilot guy?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Are you the helicopter pilot guy?

Are you thinking of Po?

Man, I haven't seen him post in awhile.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Z3n posted:

:iiam:

"It's not the flavor-of-the-month badass bike anymore, but we've paid for the R&D and tooling, we gotta do something with it."
:ms:

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 6, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Krakkles posted:

Didn't TL1000Rs have a pretty nasty tendency to kill inexperienced riders? I seem to recall reading some horror stories about them.

That rotary shock on the back was apparently just a piece of poo poo for any real aggressive riding. There were hit and miss reports of tankslappers on them, I think it had to do a lot with it being a bike that wasn't forgiving of being hard on the bars.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bucephalus posted:

"It's not the flavor-of-the-month badass bike anymore, but we've paid for the R&D and tooling, we gotta do something with it."
:ms:

The only unfortunant downside to that is then everything thinks that humanity has evolved with bike development and they can totally handle a slightly older supersport with cheaped out suspension.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
"But it's a touring bike! How bad can it beeeeOOOOFUUUUUCCCKKK"
Good point.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bucephalus posted:

"But it's a touring bike! How bad can it beeeeOOOOFUUUUUCCCKKK"
What, you mean like the Concorde 14 and the Busa?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Z3n posted:

It's quite amusing how yesterday's sportbikes become today's Sport Tourers. ZX-6E? Won AMA with miguel duhamal in 93. Now it's a sport touring bike! Modern ZZR600? 2001 ZX-6R! SV1000? Detuned TL1000R, now it's a S/T bike! :iiam:

My 77' KZ650 was considered a sport bike when it was made

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Z3n posted:

That rotary shock on the back was apparently just a piece of poo poo for any real aggressive riding. There were hit and miss reports of tankslappers on them, I think it had to do a lot with it being a bike that wasn't forgiving of being hard on the bars.
And don't forget the bad combination of short swingarm, and poorly placed countershaft sprocket. Under load, chain tension would casue the rear suspension would more or less lock up. And the rotary damper also couldn't cool very well, so would fade under heavy use.

It's the TL1000S that had widowmaker rep. For good reason. The TL1000R was a pussy in comparison. Instead of tankslappers they'd just push to the outside of the corner. the TL-R came with a steering damper. But still had the shitass rotary damper and the bad swingarm/chain location problem.

Krakkles posted:

Are you thinking of Po?

Man, I haven't seen him post in awhile.

That's what happens when riders die. Or get seriously hurt. Anyone in the mood to play internet detective?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nerobro posted:

That's what happens when riders die. Or get seriously hurt. Anyone in the mood to play internet detective?
Pretty sure he wasn't a rider, he was an AI goon. As I recall, he just stopped posting because he got busy with work / new wife / new kid.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Opened the air box, no oil in there.

emptied the float bowls... sucked on the air tube from the petcock to get gas back in the carbs. (there is a picture of it... "now there is a girl who loves her bike")

Bike turned over, but wouldnt start. Jumped it from a car, still wouldnt start. Now my battery is drained and I don't have a charger.

Have run out of daylight. I can work on it again on Sunday, but after that, I'm getting a tow and a mechanic *sigh*

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Krakkles posted:

Pretty sure he wasn't a rider, he was an AI goon. As I recall, he just stopped posting because he got busy with work / new wife / new kid.

Well, that wasn't him then. I just remember someone coming in here acting like they know everything and then when challenged, their response was "Well I'm a helicopter pilot so...." :rolleyes:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

well, now i'm confused. I've got a bike here. It will start, and idle, on choke. As soon as I open the throttle, it dies. This result varies a little. I've cleaned the pilot jet, the main jet, the needle jet and air screw.

Something tells me this is a fuel delivery issue. I didn't clean the float valve. :-/

The bike has a cross-threaded cylinder head. I'll have a replacement this weekend.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

blugu64 posted:

With the right gearing, a vacuum, and a long enough road, my 250 could reach escape velocity.

edit: and a throttle locker because gently caress if I'm holding it open for hours on end

edit2: ride this poo poo to the moon

Not quite, the ninja 250 cannot carry enough gasoline to reach escape velocity. Assuming a total mass of ~600 lbs / 272 kg for the bike, rider, and any gear necessary for the rider's survival in a vacuum, and assuming that escape velocity for earth is about 11.186 km/s, you would need at least 3.405 x 10^10 joules to reach escape velocity. One gallon of gasoline has a combustion energy of about 132 megajoules, assuming a stoichiometric fuel-air ratio. A bit less than 30% of this would be convertable into forward motion, due to the inefficiencies of gasoline engines. You would therefore need to combust well in excess of 257 gallons of gasoline to reach escape velocity. The ninja 250, sadly, can only carry about 4.8 gallons of fuel.

:v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

sectoidman posted:

Not quite, the ninja 250 cannot carry enough gasoline to reach escape velocity. Assuming a total mass of ~600 lbs / 272 kg for the bike, rider, and any gear necessary for the rider's survival in a vacuum, and assuming that escape velocity for earth is about 11.186 km/s, you would need at least 3.405 x 10^10 joules to reach escape velocity. One gallon of gasoline has a combustion energy of about 132 megajoules, assuming a stoichiometric fuel-air ratio. A bit less than 30% of this would be convertable into forward motion, due to the inefficiencies of gasoline engines. You would therefore need to combust well in excess of 257 gallons of gasoline to reach escape velocity. The ninja 250, sadly, can only carry about 4.8 gallons of fuel.

Does that 600 lb include an oxygen supply for the bike?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Nerobro posted:

well, now i'm confused. I've got a bike here. It will start, and idle, on choke. As soon as I open the throttle, it dies. This result varies a little. I've cleaned the pilot jet, the main jet, the needle jet and air screw.

What the history? If the PO installed a Keyster kit to fix some problems the pilot jets are as good as junk.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

clean looking, factory mikuni jets. Without even any chewed edges.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

sectoidman posted:

Are you factoring in the weight of the gasoline as well?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

What about a launch from the equator, versus typical American latitudes?

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

dietcokefiend posted:

Are you factoring in the weight of the gasoline as well?

Phy posted:

Does that 600 lb include an oxygen supply for the bike?

No, it was just a back-of-the-napkin calculation to prove that it would be impossible to reach escape velocity with a ninja 250 even with appropriate gearing.

Of course, if we go into practical considerations, the tires would explode and the transmission components would start disintegrating long before you reached 11 km/s anyway.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

sectoidman posted:

No, it was just a back-of-the-napkin calculation to prove that it would be impossible to reach escape velocity with a ninja 250 even with appropriate gearing.

Of course, if we go into practical considerations, the tires would explode and the transmission components would start disintegrating long before you reached 11 km/s anyway.

I would almost go as far as saying that the sprockets themselves would stretch at that rotation speed. :v:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

sectoidman posted:

Now if Honda still made the CBR250 the story would be different. :c00l:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Nerobro posted:

clean looking, factory mikuni jets. Without even any chewed edges.

Odd. It must be a fuel issue. You could also do the "tube attached to the drain spigot" trick to check the float levels without pulling the carbs.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Nerobro posted:

Something tells me this is a fuel delivery issue. I didn't clean the float valve. :-/

The bike has a cross-threaded cylinder head. I'll have a replacement this weekend.

One other thing you could check is your spark plugs. Mine had a similar issue and I fixed it this morning by pulling and cleaning the plugs. I plan to replace them next weekend, but at least I can ride now.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
So I posted a while back about some electrical issues but finally had a chance to break out the multimeter. Battery is holding a charge fine, and when the bike is running I'm getting the correct voltage.

I did the leakage test like my little book recommends, which is to disconnect the negative and place the multimeter leads between the battery and the disconnected negative lead with the bike turned off. My multimeter was spiked even on the highest A setting, which I think is what the book was telling me to do. Is this possible, was I using the multimeter wrong, thoughts?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oakey posted:

Is this possible, was I using the multimeter wrong, thoughts?

On my multimeter I have to move one lead to another socket, otherwise the ammeter won't work.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I was wondering why I was getting so much splatter on the left leg of my trousers, since the chain is on the right of my Bonneville. The left side of the body didn't seem to have any fluid leakage. Then today I noticed that the right fork was clean and dry, and the left fork was dirty and greasy, so it appears I blew a fork seal and the droplets have been blowing back in the wind onto my leg.

Getting the seals (both) replaced this week, will probably add old-skool while the forks are off anyway. But in the meantime: what's the best way to get fork lube out of trousers?.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

But in the meantime: what's the best way to get fork lube out of trousers?.
Try Shout. The gel in a bottle with a brush top. Works very well in my experience.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

8ender posted:

Odd. It must be a fuel issue. You could also do the "tube attached to the drain spigot" trick to check the float levels without pulling the carbs.

Pulling the carb on U7E is a two minute affair. If that. However... I did find the problem tonight. It's definitely flow related. The fuel filter that was on there was restricting flow to the point it couldn't keep the float bowl full. I replaced the fuel line on that hypothesis. The petcock is a mess too, and that will need a cleaning as well. But I was able to ride it tonight.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
Could one of you guys with a Bandit 12 measure the length of your kickstand? I just put a new shock on my Katana and its now about 2" higher, so I'm wondering if I could swap the Bandit kickstand on.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Cool, just scrubbed my Carhartt's down with Shout gel and tossed them in the wash, so will see if that gets the fork oil out. Taking it in for service probably Wednesday.

While I'm here: my 2001 Bonneville sounded a bit off a few times on my last ride. Over the course of 30mi that evening, maybe four times it shipped a beat and shuddered slightly. Kinda like "duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-pff-duh-duh-duh" with the engine rumble just cutting out for a half-second. At each time I believe I was between 3500-4500rpm, at steady throttle around 60mph, etc. Petcock was all the way on, plenty of fuel, not due for oil change, etc.

Is it probably just a bit of gunk hitting the carbs? I hadn't ridden it in about a week. Should I put a little carb-cleaning additive into the fuel tank and see if it happens again?

Dilbert.
Feb 20, 2006
two thumbs uuughhlp

Jack the Smack posted:

I hate my bike.

Enough to sell it for how little?

BlueBayou posted:

bike still no workey

See if any of your friends have a battery tender you can borrow in order to keep that battery in check.

It sounds like pulling the entire fuel system and making a systematic check for damage might be in order. Make a thorough check of everything on the right side to see if there's damage that would cause a fuel or clutch problem (did you check the clutch lever that comes out of the right engine sidecover yet? The sidecover itself?)

I know this might sound silly, but double check your idle screw adjustment, my first bike's PO for some reason set it so that the bike idled at normal speed with the choke fully on, and not at all without it. fiddling with the idle screw fixed that.

There just might be a problem related to this 'auto choke' the PO was mentioning. The drop might have caused whatever equipment (if any was actually installed) to alter fuel delivery whether it be some 'auto-choke' or not. I dunno, something that might be worth looking into if you've run out of ideas.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

laymil posted:

Could one of you guys with a Bandit 12 measure the length of your kickstand? I just put a new shock on my Katana and its now about 2" higher, so I'm wondering if I could swap the Bandit kickstand on.

From the pad to the pivot bolt is approx 8.25-8.50 inches on my B12.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Phat_Albert posted:

From the pad to the pivot bolt is approx 8.25-8.50 inches on my B12.

drat, it's actually shorter than mine :(. Oh well, I'll just deal with the extra lean for the time being. Thanks for measuring.

Edit:
Has anyone had any experience with the Harbor Freight rear stand? (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66192) Now that I've got the B12 shock on my bike, the centerstand turned into a useless hunk of metal and had to be removed, so I need a way to get the rear wheel off of the ground...

laymil fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 8, 2009

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Get a Pit Bull stand, Harbor freight won't have near the build quality or reliability.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
That Shout gel in a spray bottle, combined with a nylon brush, did a great job getting all that fork lube out of my trousers. Thanks for the tip!

Now I just need to temporarily wrap the fork in plastic or something to get it 20mi to the dealership to replace that busted seal on Wed or so, then wait 7-10 days for them to get the parts from Triumph, plus maybe some aftermarket gaiters to make my forks look all retro.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Get a Pit Bull stand, Harbor freight won't have near the build quality or reliability.

Speaking from experience or out of disdain for HF? I'm not going to spend $150 on a rear stand - it's either HF or cheap eBay stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Mostly from reading other people's experiences with cheaper stands about pads/pins braking and things like that