Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

reir posted:

Decided to pull the trigger on this one for my first bike, 88 Honda NX250. I think I'd have a tough time finding a running bike for much cheaper, paid $700. Other than new tires, signals and mirrors I don't see much I need to do with it mechanically, starts up first crank nearly every time w/o the choke. Was wondering if there was a guide for older bikes to check everything out? Is there anything I should do maintenance wise other than lube and oil at this point since it's running good?

You already mentioned the tires, I'd check the forks for leaky seals, the thickness and condition of brake pads, clean and lube the cables. Replace the brake fluid, a lot of riders overlook that item. Check the spokes, chain and sprockets. And enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
How much do you think

This is worth

It looks like someone dropped it...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

talking_head posted:

This is what a fat man looks like on a sportbike. Dude should've gone with the Harley.

You broke how WaffleImages is supposed to work. Never link or post anything that doesn't say img.waffleimages.com. Now I can't see fat dude. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

stgdz posted:

First bike question,

Been looking at street bikes, sv's ninja 650's and even the 250. I grew up riding a little 80cc yamaha dual sport but never got around to getting my license. With that being said above I have started considering the supermotos as a first bike. The street bikes haven't felt that comfortable to me, they feel heavy for what I was used to with the little dirt bike and I am used to riding standup jet skis and the flickability of both the dirt bike and jet ski was something I always liked.

So......

Most of the 400 supermotos from suzuki are on craigslist at about 4k. A new 250x from yamaha is around 5k from what I last recall. I would use the bike for blasting around the backroads, paved of course, and comuting to work from time to time. Is a 400 to much in a supermoto or would a 250 be better? Top speed on the morning commute would be 60mph.

The 400 is what I would go for. The 250's going to be a little anemic at the top end, and you'll be stressing the engine a lot more to maintain speed. Get the DRZ.

quote:

How much do you think

This is worth

It looks like someone dropped it...

I'd pay up to just under 4k for it. There have been some really nice SVs up for sale lately for very reasonable prices, so I'd bid up to around 3600 (And then there's the 100$ documentation fee on top of that).

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

stgdz posted:

Most of the 400 supermotos from suzuki are on craigslist at about 4k. A new 250x from yamaha is around 5k from what I last recall. I would use the bike for blasting around the backroads, paved of course, and comuting to work from time to time. Is a 400 to much in a supermoto or would a 250 be better? Top speed on the morning commute would be 60mph.

If by 400 you are referring to the DR-Z400SM then yes, its a great bike, one I'd highly recommend for a first timer. If you start looking around avoid the SMs that have 450 in the character gibberish, those would be high powered race bikes.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Well the guy that put the deposit on the V-max I wanted still hasn't been able to get a loan. Just have to wait till Friday hoping he keeps failing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

DrakeriderCa posted:

Well, looks like the Wing sold too. I'll have to see if the Shadow is still available. Thanks for the patient help though, I really appreciate it.

I found a place nearby that sells used bikes. They have a n 82 GS750E, and an 82 GR650 Tempter. The 750 seems pretty sharp.

This might be a bit smaller than you're thinking of, but it's a decent deal for a first basic bike - especially if you can talk him down even more.

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-Kawasaki-440cc-obo-W0QQAdIdZ134112167

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

This might be a bit smaller than you're thinking of, but it's a decent deal for a first basic bike - especially if you can talk him down even more.

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-Kawasaki-440cc-obo-W0QQAdIdZ134112167

Emailed him. Thanks for the heads up. How are you doing? I didn't know you rode.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
Thanks on the 400 advice guys, do the 400 requires as much maintenance as the dirt bike breatheren? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the 250x didn't require as much maintenance as the wr250f.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

stgdz posted:

Thanks on the 400 advice guys, do the 400 requires as much maintenance as the dirt bike breatheren? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the 250x didn't require as much maintenance as the wr250f.

The DRZ400 is very lax on maintenence for a dirtbike. About the same as a sportbike.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Geez. I'm starting to consider patching the KLR up and trading/selling it for a weestrom. Anyone know how maintenance intensive those ugly bastards are? Especially compared to a 20-year-old motor in an early-adopter package.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
weestroms are SV650's in different clothing. They're maintenance intensive only if you can't handle an oil change every 5000 miles. And a new chain every 20-30,000.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

Emailed him. Thanks for the heads up. How are you doing? I didn't know you rode.
No sweat. I didn't know you were getting into it. :)

I've ridden off and on since I was a kid. I've had an ST1100 for about 4 years now. Here is it sans luggage while it was sleeping a winter or two ago.

Actually, now that I think of it I might have a relative in St. Albert getting rid of a mid 80s Suzuki GS-something. I'll fire them an email and see if they still have it if you like?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nerobro posted:

weestroms are SV650's in different clothing. They're maintenance intensive only if you can't handle an oil change every 5000 miles. And a new chain every 20-30,000.
You have to check the valves once in awhile, too!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

You have to check the valves once in awhile, too!

If you do the job right, it's a check every 6k, but an adjustment every 18k.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Dammit!

Where was this guy when I had money?

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/1212559726.html

"**Honda CX 500 Turbo** - $2800 (South Anchorage)

Date: 2009-06-08, 10:52PM AKDT

Rare 1982 Honda CX 500 Turbo 18k miles runs great and in good shape $2800.00 or best offer. "

Quick-remind me of the burnt stators, unobtanium turbos and any other items of dissuation you can come up with.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Gnomad posted:

Quick-remind me of the burnt stators, unobtanium turbos and any other items of dissuation you can come up with.

Its old and the CDI might be unreliable!

I'm sorry man my hearts not in it. Thats an awesome bike :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
There's a 750 Kawasaki Turbo parked around my street regularly these days.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Gnomad posted:

Dammit!

Where was this guy when I had money?

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/1212559726.html

"**Honda CX 500 Turbo** - $2800 (South Anchorage)
I've had my eyes open for one of those for years, and still would. I would prefer a 650 but beggers can't be choosers.

Good thing its a 4 thousand miles away

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

No sweat. I didn't know you were getting into it. :)

I've ridden off and on since I was a kid. I've had an ST1100 for about 4 years now. Here is it sans luggage while it was sleeping a winter or two ago.

Actually, now that I think of it I might have a relative in St. Albert getting rid of a mid 80s Suzuki GS-something. I'll fire them an email and see if they still have it if you like?

Nice bike! Yeah, definitely get ahold of them.. Thanks! I'm looking to get something in the next week or so, for under $2k if possible. I've got a bud that's got an old KZ400 that I might get, but let me know about the GS. I'd really prefer something over 500cc's if possible. I'm a big guy.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Z3n posted:

The DRZ400 is very lax on maintenence for a dirtbike. About the same as a sportbike.

You really should be changing the oil on a DRZ400 every 1500 miles according to the thumpertalk gurus. Valve checks are every 6000 miles. The motor won't last nearly as long a a sportbike would, but you can rebuild the top ends without breaking the bank. You won't be putting the miles on a DRZ that you would on a street bike. The one caution I have is they aren't much fun to ride over 70mph and unless you get a corbin seat you're rear end will hurt after 2hr.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Gnomad posted:

That and the two other EFI turbos were so much better. The suzuki would fry the turbos, but they're "normal" parts, not unotainium. The Yamaha was good too. And it's not the 650. :-)

And who wants to ride a collectors bike. You can do better if you want turbo. You can do much better if you want a bike of that age. You can do even better if you go modern turbo.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Nerobro posted:

That and the two other EFI turbos were so much better. The suzuki would fry the turbos, but they're "normal" parts, not unotainium. The Yamaha was good too. And it's not the 650. :-)

And who wants to ride a collectors bike. You can do better if you want turbo. You can do much better if you want a bike of that age. You can do even better if you go modern turbo.

Thanks, I knew you'd help me out.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
ya but look at that kickass paint job, they just don't paint'em like that anymore

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

Nice bike! Yeah, definitely get ahold of them.. Thanks! I'm looking to get something in the next week or so, for under $2k if possible. I've got a bud that's got an old KZ400 that I might get, but let me know about the GS. I'd really prefer something over 500cc's if possible. I'm a big guy.

I'll get a hold of them and fire you a PM. It's an aunt/uncle I don't speak to regularly, but they're super good people. IIRC, they bought a BMW and were looking to get rid of their old Suzuki, but that was about a year-ish ago. It wasn't a super small bike - 750 I think.

I'll let you know.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Here's an '82 Seca 650 Turbo: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mcy/1215086256.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I know that all of the turbo motorcycles are not good motorcycles. I know this, but I want one so badly.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Chris Knight posted:

Here's an '82 Seca 650 Turbo: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mcy/1215086256.html

Oh god. Air cooled, turbocharged, and a sport tourer? :flashfap:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

Oh god. Air cooled, turbocharged, and a sport tourer? :flashfap:

I didn't even think about that bike being the Simkin trifecta...:v:

I really want to find an RD200 :(

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Only the honda was liquid cooled. Somehow it had the greatest heat problems. go figure.

Z3n, don't worry about the RD, there's a few bikes like that to look for. the GT185 is a good example. The handle well too :-)

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Z3n posted:

I really want to find an RD350 :(

Fixed, because hey, you might as well have a little torque.

Edit: When I grow up, I'm going to have a garage filled with the most ridiculously obscure motorcycles, owned for reasons known only to me. :colbert:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

I took one for a test ride. Typical early 80's Yamaha that sounded pretty cool on the spool but the turbo rush is marvelously ill suited for motorcycles. I didn't buy it.

The paint and styling on the CX turbos is what sells me on them anyway.

The guy I bought my Guzzi from had all the turbo bikes, his favorite was the Kawasaki.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Man, that would definitely be the :psyduck:est garage ever. Also, probably the most labour intensive, short of one solely consisting of 1960s British bikes.

I wonder why there's never been a return to experimentation with FI on modern sport bikes? Hell, maybe they could even trim the turbos such that modern 600s would have solid low-mid range power.

Or they could make 400s with the power of 600s and less weight. :black101:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

Fixed, because hey, you might as well have a little torque.

Edit: When I grow up, I'm going to have a garage filled with the most ridiculously obscure motorcycles, owned for reasons known only to me. :colbert:

It's actually for a friend. It'd be his first bike. If I were buying one, I'd try and find a 350.

Or I can just wait until my friend who willed me his dies. But I don't want him to die :(

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

It's actually for a friend. It'd be his first bike. If I were buying one, I'd try and find a 350.

Or I can just wait until my friend who willed me his dies. But I don't want him to die :(

You'd feel too guilty to enjoy it then anyways.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Psh. Until he fired it up. :ssj:

Inertiatic
Apr 9, 2004
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1214488541.html

I'm thinking about picking this SV up soon, and I will be going to check it out in person this weekend. Anything I should pay particular attention to before I agree to the purchase?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Inertiatic posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1214488541.html

I'm thinking about picking this SV up soon, and I will be going to check it out in person this weekend. Anything I should pay particular attention to before I agree to the purchase?

Check that the tires haven't completely flatspotted, that the chain is in good shape, and that the fork seals aren't leaking. With 1700 miles over 3 years, it's not like it's seen a lot of use.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I would personally check the inside of the tank as well. Ask the guy if it was stored properly for any longer periods (i.e. with fuel stabilizer).

Goddam tank rust. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Welp, I haggled the dealer down to 4000 from 4500 on the V-max. I found out it had supertraps, which makes me think that its possible the P.O. put on the T-boost mod which makes V-boost come on at 3k RPM instead of 6k RPM. I'm going to have to force a test drive because I really frankly don't want that so I don't get 10 MPG, and I'm not interested in the hacked wiring harness it represents.