Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

not a dinosaur posted:

seriously AD do you really think it's smart to answer questions in the C/C++ thread when you clearly don't understand exceptions

Perhaps it is you who is not understanding things, goon sir????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

As well it shouldn't, since RAII renders finally redundant.

"finally" has nothing to do with RAII. The big language introducing the feature was Java, which has automatic memory management. Every language which copied it to my knowledge (except C addons) has the same automatic memory management, and sometimes even has RAII as well. That's like saying that goto renders while redundant - they may overlap functionality but they serve completely different purposes, and when you are forced to use one when you want the other your code suffers.

Edit: Anyway I didn't denigrate C++ for this reason, so I'm done with this.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Snodar posted:

"finally" has nothing to do with RAII. The big language introducing the feature was Java, which has automatic memory management.

If by "automatic memory management", you mean garbage collection, that's exactly what RAII is the opposite of, since the principle of RAII is that initialization occurs in the constructor and cleanup occurs in the destructor (which is called immediately upon leaving scope). This is in stark contrast to garbage-collected objects, which can be destructed at pretty much any time. I have never found the lack of finally in C++ to be even remotely problematic, since it's never actually necessary if you're writing idiomatic C++ code.

But since this is fake-Javascript, finally is occasionally useful, since Javascript is not big on RAII.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Snodar posted:

"finally" has nothing to do with RAII.

What? RAII and finally blocks are two ways of doing exactly the same thing.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

shrughes posted:

What? RAII and finally blocks are two ways of doing exactly the same thing.

I misspoke, you're right. I separated them absolutely when there is in fact quite a bit of overlap when you're using it to close resources (that is, when doing so makes a behavioural difference). I'm not going to try to defend my position further because it's a discussion I don't want to enter.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Snodar posted:

I'm not going to try to defend my position further because it's a discussion I don't want to enter.

Because you know you'll lose?

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
When it comes to arguing with AD, the only winning move is not to play.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Yeah he really needed that ego boost.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Better to flatter someone who doesn't need it than to make fun of someone.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
This has taken me far too long.

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot

Screen shots dont really do much for what I'm working on. The image above is a directory listing of all the files on my twitter, which you can see here. You can change the path from /qoobiedoobie to /username to view all the files on username's twitter, if they have any. To upload files to your twitter I have a little uploader script here. All of the files are stored in a series of encoded tweets. It depends on the file, but right now a 4kb jpeg takes ~20 tweets to store. My goal was to make twitter remotely useful, which I kind of did... I guess. You can do some stupid stuff with this like host a webpage on twitter(Like This!). My next goal is to get it working with FUSE.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
You'd probably be interested in this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/891643/twitter-image-encoding-challenge

Contero
Mar 28, 2004

Click here for the full 1267x905 image.

Click here for the full 1270x906 image.

:sigh:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Ocarina of Time clone?

Intel Penguin
Sep 14, 2007
hooray

skeet decorator posted:

Screen shots dont really do much for what I'm working on. The image above is a directory listing of all the files on my twitter, which you can see here. You can change the path from /qoobiedoobie to /username to view all the files on username's twitter, if they have any. To upload files to your twitter I have a little uploader script here. All of the files are stored in a series of encoded tweets. It depends on the file, but right now a 4kb jpeg takes ~20 tweets to store. My goal was to make twitter remotely useful, which I kind of did... I guess. You can do some stupid stuff with this like host a webpage on twitter(Like This!). My next goal is to get it working with FUSE.

are you sure that's even allowed? and wouldn't all that gummy up your twitter?

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot

Intel Penguin posted:

are you sure that's even allowed? and wouldn't all that gummy up your twitter?

Well they whitelisted my ip so I guess they don't care that much. As for gummying up your twitter, yeah you'll get a bunch of funky looking stuff but you can post your normal stuff around it. It's really pretty useless since you can only make 1000 posts a day, but I really just wanted to see if I could.

Contero
Mar 28, 2004

Hubis posted:

Ocarina of Time clone?

I guess you could say that. I mainly wanted the spikes and statue/switch puzzles from link to the past.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Not nearly as cool as the stuff everyone else is working on :(

I got tired of giant audio recording/editing/mastering/polishing suites when all I wanted was a tiny little efficient stream-to-file audio recording program that had more than enough options. I plan to use this as the recording software to record mixer-out from the DJs spinning at parties my friends and I host frequently.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Mido posted:

Not nearly as cool as the stuff everyone else is working on :(

I got tired of giant audio recording/editing/mastering/polishing suites when all I wanted was a tiny little efficient stream-to-file audio recording program that had more than enough options. I plan to use this as the recording software to record mixer-out from the DJs spinning at parties my friends and I host frequently.

I hope you're using FMOD!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Ugg boots posted:

I hope you're using FMOD!

:smug: But of course

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

In case anyone's interested, I just released my Skype bot thing.

Blog post here.

almostkorean
Jul 9, 2001
eeeeeeeee
Doing research this summer in a robotics/AI lab, and right now I'm working on getting a webcam to recognize objects. I'm making a GUI for it, here's what I have so far:

Click here for the full 757x599 image.

My prof wants it to be able to recognize a blue dice. I have thresholding working, next I need to find connected components then get some statistics on each of those, then make some qualifiers to determine if it's a dice or not. Luckily the lab already has a lot of GUI stuff to build upon, so I don't have to deal with too much swing

j4cbo
Nov 1, 2004
huh?

Important safety tip: don't wire the inverted reset line to 0. :smith:

king_kilr
May 25, 2007
A webbased IRC client I did for the DjangoDash competition (48 hours with 2 other people). This is the only screenshot I have at this second.

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

king_kilr posted:

A webbased IRC client I did for the DjangoDash competition (48 hours with 2 other people). This is the only screenshot I have at this second.

Is this open source, or are you willing to share the source? I'd love to see it if you are.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

dancavallaro posted:

Is this open source, or are you willing to share the source? I'd love to see it if you are.

We haven't decided whether or not to open source it. You can see it deployed at http://leafychat.com/ . On the technical side it uses Django, Orbited, Twisted, and jQuery.

Sgt. Raisins
Oct 21, 2007
Damnit

king_kilr posted:

We haven't decided whether or not to open source it. You can see it deployed at http://leafychat.com/ . On the technical side it uses Django, Orbited, Twisted, and jQuery.
If you don't open source it. I would love to see a quick write up on how it was created. Interested in seeing django outside of a CMS/blog like site.

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

Sgt. Raisins posted:

If you don't open source it. I would love to see a quick write up on how it was created. Interested in seeing django outside of a CMS/blog like site.

Yeah, this is more to the point of what I meant. I don't necessarily have a burning desire to see the source, but I'd love to hear more about your experience with this.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

j4cbo posted:

Important safety tip: don't wire the inverted reset line to 0. :smith:

I gave up on hardware development jobs when USB started to replace RS232. Mindyou there wasn't the commodity USB easyfication chipsets back then.

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

What I've been working on for the past 3 years. Now that we've finally announced it, it's fun to show it off. Design/Control GUI for large scale DSP/Control processing. All written in WPF. Real time measurement, matrix panning, embedded lua scripting, all sorts of fun.

Click here for the full 1679x1017 image.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

I wrote and just released a desktop client and .NET API for YouMail. YouMail is a voicemail replacement service that I fear is going to be crushed in the near future by Google Voice, but I use it right now and it works great. This little guy lets me click on a tray icon to see and hear my messages.

Edit: ^^^ How were your experiences developing in WPF?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

mintskoal posted:

Edit: ^^^ How were your experiences developing in WPF?
Overall it went pretty well. Once you wrap your head around WPF and embrace its approach it's really quick and powerful. It took some time - for a while I was fighting it and had a bunch of adapter objects between my data representation and what WPF expected. Once I WPFed my data, being able to databind anywhere in the app is really powerful.

I also had to go to a lot of effort to get 'acceptable' performance for some of the real-time visualization stuff. It's still not as fast as I would like and I have to be careful how much stuff I throw at it.

Overall, I think it's pretty well thought out and very powerful. If I were starting a new app and only needed to support XP+, I'd be hard pressed to recommend anything but WPF. From the look of your screen shot it'd be trivial to implement something similar to what you have in WPF.

leedo
Nov 28, 2000

dancavallaro posted:

I am working on an open source one right now. It is pretty functional and is incredibly responsive. I am using the multipart/mixed content-type to stream JSON in an XHR. Here is the github URL. It only works in Safari and Firefox right now, and I don't think it will ever work in IE unless I switch to polling.

Right now it will display inline images and let you play inline audio as well. But it is incredibly easy to write new filters, I just can't think of any more.

edit: here is a screenshot

leedo fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 26, 2009

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Click here for the full 800x800 image.

Ambient occlusion. Real-time thought still horribly unoptimized and incorrect at places, but it's getting there :iamafag:.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
haha, good ol' Sponza. Jesus I must know every nook and cranny in that model.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Zakalwe posted:

haha, good ol' Sponza. Jesus I must know every nook and cranny in that model.

Sponza rules. If I ever make an obscene amount of money, I'm building a life size replica for myself. Then I will proceed to hand-paint realistic global illumination effects on the walls.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

shodanjr_gr posted:

Sponza rules. If I ever make an obscene amount of money, I'm building a life size replica for myself. Then I will proceed to hand-paint realistic global illumination effects on the walls.

A colleague and I half-heartedly tried to get our funding to cover a trip so we could "gather realistic illumination data".

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Do you need to know when Jeff Goldblum will next be on TV in Vancouver?

This is my new record in useless web apps. And I also made jarkanoid. Or Jark. Whatever.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

fankey posted:

What I've been working on for the past 3 years. Now that we've finally announced it, it's fun to show it off. Design/Control GUI for large scale DSP/Control processing. All written in WPF. Real time measurement, matrix panning, embedded lua scripting, all sorts of fun.

Click here for the full 1679x1017 image.

Looks very nice. Did you guys write something custom for the graphs or did you use a 3rd-party tool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

PlaneGuy posted:

Looks very nice. Did you guys write something custom for the graphs or did you use a 3rd-party tool?
Thanks. Everything except the code editor control was written by me. If you're familiar with WPF, the whole design area ( what's shown in the screen shot ) was all written at the Visual layer for performance. Careful application of calling Freeze() on pretty much everything that can be frozen along with using StreamGeometry got us acceptable performance.