Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjatarian
Feb 12, 2005

Well maybe the orphans should've thought of that BEFORE they got cancer.
Sup friends, I haven't been in AI for a while. I have a 2005 Suzuki M50 that I have some trouble with. I bought a set of cobra exhausts for my bike and I have an issue installing them. There is an exhaust leak between the pipes and engine on the left cylinder. I have tightened them as much as I feel comfortable with and there is still a leak. I have tried taking the exhaust off and re-seating them twice. Are my pipes just bad and I should send them back? Should I be using a gasket of some sort? I'm pretty new at this so please ask anything I left out.

For a reward if anyone can solve the problem, I'll post a picture of my new bike.

Edited for terrible spelling/grammar.

Edit Again: It looks like I'm an idiot and need an exhaust gaskets which I didn't get?

ninjatarian fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Sometimes you can get away with reusing gaskets, sometimes you can't. Looks like this was one of those "can't" times.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sunny Sixkiller posted:

Sorry if this is too non-technical for the thread (I definitely didn't think it'd merit it's own post): I'm a filmmaker in Los Angeles looking to put together a trailer for a movie set in the 1950's. The movie has a ton of motorcycles involved. I want to make sure everything looks authentic/accurate in the trailer, but I'm having a tough time tracking down places that rent classic bikes for non-exorbitant prices.

I read recently that the motorcycle in the new Indiana Jones movie was actually a modern bike (gussied up a bit to look more 50's I guess- I think the hero bike was a 2007 Harley Softail Springer Classic).

Modern bikes are way easier and cheaper to rent, so I guess my question is: does anyone have any recommendations for modern bikes that could "pass" for vintage? It's for a trailer, so we're never going to be seeing the bikes super close or for an extended period of time-- I just need something with a convincingly old school "look" about it. Am I poo poo out of luck?

don't know what your budget is like but you could always look into getting your hands on some Royal Enfields.
Nothing more old-school than that, except maybe some Urals.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sunny Sixkiller posted:

Sorry if this is too non-technical for the thread (I definitely didn't think it'd merit it's own post): I'm a filmmaker in Los Angeles looking to put together a trailer for a movie set in the 1950's. The movie has a ton of motorcycles involved. I want to make sure everything looks authentic/accurate in the trailer, but I'm having a tough time tracking down places that rent classic bikes for non-exorbitant prices.

I read recently that the motorcycle in the new Indiana Jones movie was actually a modern bike (gussied up a bit to look more 50's I guess- I think the hero bike was a 2007 Harley Softail Springer Classic).

Modern bikes are way easier and cheaper to rent, so I guess my question is: does anyone have any recommendations for modern bikes that could "pass" for vintage? It's for a trailer, so we're never going to be seeing the bikes super close or for an extended period of time-- I just need something with a convincingly old school "look" about it. Am I poo poo out of luck?

how good you want them to look? there are a bunch of retroish bikes (half the bikes harley makes, in fact) but virtually none that could actually pass for originals to a discerning eye. everywhere you go, however, there are vintage owners, and maybe you could bribe one of them to load their 49 indian on a truck for a day. there are probably vintage bike shops in the phone book you could call up and ask about that. otherwise, i always thought honda shadow aeros looked very nice and vintageish.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

everywhere you go, however, there are vintage owners, and maybe you could bribe one of them to load their 49 indian on a truck for a day.

Most of the vintage owners I know would jump at the opportunity to have their bike seen on screen. See if there is a vintage bike club chapter around you and ask around.

Sunny Sixkiller
Mar 29, 2003

Some things are better left top secret.
Thanks for the help, guys! I'm definitely going to check into local clubs in the area. Also, those Royal Enfields are gorgeous! Too bad they're not legal in California :(

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Sunny Sixkiller posted:

Thanks for the help, guys! I'm definitely going to check into local clubs in the area. Also, those Royal Enfields are gorgeous! Too bad they're not legal in California :(

I'd check out your local Triumph RAT group. You'll have a high concentration of vintage bike owners in there. http://www.triumphrat.net/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm having some breathing issues I think, bike won't pull at WOT. It's probably the filter that is still overoiled, I'll give it a clean and oil just the inside (where the dust is supposed to stop) soon, but I thought about buying a K&N. I'm not looking for performance increase, just trying to remove the current performance restriction without ingesting dust, sand and small birds. Bikebandit wants $50-ish for it, dumb idea?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

I'm having some breathing issues I think, bike won't pull at WOT. It's probably the filter that is still overoiled, I'll give it a clean and oil just the inside (where the dust is supposed to stop) soon, but I thought about buying a K&N. I'm not looking for performance increase, just trying to remove the current performance restriction without ingesting dust, sand and small birds. Bikebandit wants $50-ish for it, dumb idea?

The good thing about K&N is their reusablilty. Everything else is questionable. If that's worth 50$ to you, go for it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My current filter is also reusable, it's a washable foam type. I just want something that flows a bit better, I think it would help out with the last (tiny) remaining running issues.

Also...something hit me while I was on the throne and it wasn't a butt splash. I have previously suggested that people who want to ride in Norway could buy a bike here, ride for a while and then sell it. Well, why couldn't I do the same on a trip to the US?

I'd take out my four vacation weeks in a row, fly over with my gear, buy a bike, ride my rear end off, sell it and go home.

Do you guys think a dealer with used bikes would agree to a buy-back deal? Say I buy a bike for $3000, tour for three weeks, putting maybe 2-3 thousand miles on it and selling it back for $2000? How much rental do you get for $1000 anyway?

I could do it privately too of course, but there would be a bit more risk and hassle. I guess I could stick it on craigslist right away, explain the situation and deal with potential buyers while I was riding. I would definitely accept some loss on it, but there would be a small chance I got all my money back.

Also, can a foreign speaking Eurocommie get it properly titled and insured? Would an insurer give me a 1 month product instead of an annual deal?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

My current filter is also reusable, it's a washable foam type. I just want something that flows a bit better, I think it would help out with the last (tiny) remaining running issues.

Also...something hit me while I was on the throne and it wasn't a butt splash. I have previously suggested that people who want to ride in Norway could buy a bike here, ride for a while and then sell it. Well, why couldn't I do the same on a trip to the US?

I'd take out my four vacation weeks in a row, fly over with my gear, buy a bike, ride my rear end off, sell it and go home.

Do you guys think a dealer with used bikes would agree to a buy-back deal? Say I buy a bike for $3000, tour for three weeks, putting maybe 2-3 thousand miles on it and selling it back for $2000? How much rental do you get for $1000 anyway?

I could do it privately too of course, but there would be a bit more risk and hassle. I guess I could stick it on craigslist right away, explain the situation and deal with potential buyers while I was riding. I would definitely accept some loss on it, but there would be a small chance I got all my money back.

Also, can a foreign speaking Eurocommie get it properly titled and insured? Would an insurer give me a 1 month product instead of an annual deal?

I'd be happy to help you source a local bike if you were so inclined. I've been wanting a project anyways, I just moved into a bigger storage unit, so I've got space now. We could work it out so that I had a bike prepped and ready to go for a long trip, because honestly, I wouldn't want to fly in, buy a bike off of craigslist, and pray it made it x number of miles. I mean, maybe if you really want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere and see who you meet...

I think rentals run about 100$ a day for just about anything. If you'd rather source things through a dealership, I can ask a friend who works at the local dealership if they'd do a buyback type deal as long as the bike came back in good shape. However, you may have issues with titling/registration/etc. I'm not sure how that would work.

It shouldn't be an issue to get full coverage on a bike for a month from any insurance company. I need to call my insurance agent soon anyways, so I'll ask him about that as well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'd really appreciate that Z3n, thanks! If I figure I'd lose $1000 on buyback incentive or pre-trip work, title/fees and stuff, it chews deeply into the $2000-ish I'd have to swing for a hassle-free rental.

If something should happen, I would be a lot better off money wise with a beater titled and insured to me instead of the unlubed butt rape of rental deductibles / deposits.

Secret option 3 is of course renting some individual's 2nd / 3rd bike. I don't know how that would work out insurance wise, I really want that poo poo in order as it would suck so much to end up in a money fight or on the liable end of an expensive accident.

Of course, buying a beater off the plane is The Hardcore Thing To Do.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

I'd really appreciate that Z3n, thanks! If I figure I'd lose $1000 on buyback incentive or pre-trip work, title/fees and stuff, it chews deeply into the $2000-ish I'd have to swing for a hassle-free rental.

If something should happen, I would be a lot better off money wise with a beater titled and insured to me instead of the unlubed butt rape of rental deductibles / deposits.

Secret option 3 is of course renting some individual's 2nd / 3rd bike. I don't know how that would work out insurance wise, I really want that poo poo in order as it would suck so much to end up in a money fight or on the liable end of an expensive accident.

Of course, buying a beater off the plane is The Hardcore Thing To Do.

The Hardcore Thing To Do can also occasionally end up with you on the receiving end of some hardcore, either from a dealership or a random stranger on the side of the road. :madmax:

I sent you a PM.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

bobula posted:

Apparently LN and N petcocks are the same, and it's a different petcock any other year. Just get a petcock kit off ebay and replace all the parts inside. If it's riveted together, grind the rivets off and then drill/tap/insert screws where the rivets used to be so you can do any repairs in the future more easily.

You can probably also pull a petcock off any GS through 1150 and use that. They might have different knobs/faces, but the place where it bolts up looks to be the same shape and size and all that.

You mean off any GS of any year? Or just '79s... I'm having trouble finding something to fit a '79. Seems to be an oddball year.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

orthod0ks posted:

You mean off any GS of any year? Or just '79s... I'm having trouble finding something to fit a '79. Seems to be an oddball year.

Every GS from 1977-1986 uses the same petcock mount. The petcocks are not the same.. but they'll bolt up so long as there aren't other interference issues.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Alright, so I finally remembered to check the dates on the tires.

Rear tire turns out to be 19/2006. Phew, I think to myself.
The front is 53/2001. poo poo.

Sorry about the lovely cellphone pictures. Both tires have plenty of tread left, neither tire is showing visible signs of age (cracking). I am clearly going to have to buy a new set sooner or later but right now this would be busting my budget.

What I would do is do do my practice runs and final bike exams with these, and in that time accumulate the money to get a new front. If you guys tell me it is absolutely going to try to kill me, I might have to postpone the whole deal and that would be a shame because our riding season is very very short.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
How far back do they stamp the date on the tires? I have a tire I suspect is an original '82 model...but I didn't see anything that stood out to me as a date. The PO told me it's original, and the tread looks like it's done all of the 8,200 on the odometer...

It's a IRC "Grand High Speed" GS 11 AW ... which I have found evidence is the OEM tire for ~1980 GS bikes...and I have a 1982 GS550...

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

If the tire is over five years old its going to be hard and crusty and will dump your rear end on the pavement when you lean in for a tight turn. You could get away with a tire like that in a car but on a bike you only have two, and its incredibly important that they are supple and grippy.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

8ender posted:

If the tire is over five years old its going to be hard and crusty and will dump your rear end on the pavement when you lean in for a tight turn. You could get away with a tire like that in a car but on a bike you only have two, and its incredibly important that they are supple and grippy.

Not sure who this was pointed at, but new tires are on order while I'm cleaning the carbs. I haven't ridden more than 15 feet total on these...I was just amazed that it's not really showing any rot even when inflated, just worn tread and firm rubber on a 27 year old tire :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Duuk posted:

Alright, so I finally remembered to check the dates on the tires.

Rear tire turns out to be 19/2006. Phew, I think to myself.
The front is 53/2001. poo poo.

Sorry about the lovely cellphone pictures. Both tires have plenty of tread left, neither tire is showing visible signs of age (cracking). I am clearly going to have to buy a new set sooner or later but right now this would be busting my budget.

What I would do is do do my practice runs and final bike exams with these, and in that time accumulate the money to get a new front. If you guys tell me it is absolutely going to try to kill me, I might have to postpone the whole deal and that would be a shame because our riding season is very very short.

Don't ride on that tire. Buy a cheap chen shin or similar such tire and have it tossed on there. Crashing is way more expensive and time consuming than sucking it up, spending the money now, and biting the bullet so you don't end up crashing. Because with a tire that old, I promise you it's been cooked through and there is absolutely nothing left on it. It may look fine, but when tires sit that long they dry out and simply stop sticking. All major tire makers recommend tire replacement if the tire is more than 5 years old, yours has another 3 years on top of that. It's not bullshit and they don't do it to sell you additional tires, it's a serious safety hazard. Sell sperm, beg your parents/friends/enemies for a loan, do whatever you need to do to get that tire replaced.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

I haven't ridden more than 15 feet total on these...I was just amazed that it's not really showing any rot even when inflated, just worn tread and firm rubber on a 27 year old tire :D

My 66 YDS3 had the original front tire still on it from the factory when I fixed it up last year. The sidewalls were cracking but it held air and I was able to carefully limp around a parking lot without it exploding.

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow
Hey all,

I have a 2009 Honda Rebel (250CMX) and it's been awesome for about 2000 miles, but...

It misfires under load. This started yesterday. I rode it approx. 30 miles to a buddy's house, and it ran great. Then I got ready to leave, turned it on and pulled out. I switch into second gear as I get onto the road, and when I put the throttle at around 25-30% it bucks and lurches and refuses to actually go anywhere. I talked to a guy who said it could be my points, but I'm pretty sure my 2009 doesn't have those.

Any suggestions from the knowledgable?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Running out of gas?

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow

Z3n posted:

Running out of gas?

I wish. I filled it up right after it started happening, just to be sure. Still having issues.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

unSavory posted:

I talked to a guy who said it could be my points, but I'm pretty sure my 2009 doesn't have those.

You are correct. Do not trust anything this "guy" says about bike mechanicals.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

unSavory posted:

I wish. I filled it up right after it started happening, just to be sure. Still having issues.

Does it rev cleanly in neutral?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The previous owner of my bike must have dropped a screw inside the handlebars when he replaced them and it rings like crazy while I'm riding. When I rest the bike on the kick stand the thing rolls to the left but something is stopping it from coming all the way out of the bar (I removed the plug on the end of the bar). What the heck could be stopping it and how do I get the thing out without removing the bar and grips? Bike is an '06 Suzuki C50 with aftermarket bars.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

Z3n posted:

Don't ride on that tire. Buy a cheap chen shin or similar such tire and have it tossed on there. Crashing is way more expensive and time consuming than sucking it up, spending the money now, and biting the bullet so you don't end up crashing. Because with a tire that old, I promise you it's been cooked through and there is absolutely nothing left on it. It may look fine, but when tires sit that long they dry out and simply stop sticking. All major tire makers recommend tire replacement if the tire is more than 5 years old, yours has another 3 years on top of that. It's not bullshit and they don't do it to sell you additional tires, it's a serious safety hazard. Sell sperm, beg your parents/friends/enemies for a loan, do whatever you need to do to get that tire replaced.

8ender posted:

Thanks for the feedback, I kind of expected as much. I won't be starving but it definitely was an unwelcome development.

Sport Demons any good?
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop....&dsco=100&m_s=1

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yes they are. I can also vouch for that German tire shop, bought my Avon Roadriders from them.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ninjatarian posted:

Sup friends, I haven't been in AI for a while. I have a 2005 Suzuki M50 that I have some trouble with. I bought a set of cobra exhausts for my bike and I have an issue installing them. There is an exhaust leak between the pipes and engine on the left cylinder. I have tightened them as much as I feel comfortable with and there is still a leak.

Get a torque wrench and torque the bolts down properly. When you get a gasket on it, you can cause leaks and/or ruin the gasket by tightening the bolts too tight.

UserNotFound posted:

How far back do they stamp the date on the tires? I have a tire I suspect is an original '82 model...but I didn't see anything that stood out to me as a date.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadride/Riderresc/tires.asp at the bottom.

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow

8ender posted:

You are correct. Do not trust anything this "guy" says about bike mechanicals.

Believe me, I won't. He works at a shop here in town. Guess I know where not to take my bike.

Z3n posted:

Does it rev cleanly in neutral?

It idles fine.
It also revs just fine if I roll on the throttle slowly.
If I open it up from idle relatively quickly though, it sputters.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

The previous owner of my bike must have dropped a screw inside the handlebars when he replaced them and it rings like crazy while I'm riding. When I rest the bike on the kick stand the thing rolls to the left but something is stopping it from coming all the way out of the bar (I removed the plug on the end of the bar). What the heck could be stopping it and how do I get the thing out without removing the bar and grips? Bike is an '06 Suzuki C50 with aftermarket bars.

Do you have access to one of those telescoping magnets? That might be able to grab it (assuming its ferrous).

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

unSavory posted:

It idles fine.
It also revs just fine if I roll on the throttle slowly.
If I open it up from idle relatively quickly though, it sputters.

If it's a 2009 isn't it under warranty?

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

wormil posted:

Depending on how small the hole is, they sell these grabbers at Walmart. They're in near all the fishing lures and everything, as they're designed for removing fishhooks. But they're really useful for about a million other things too. And I think they don't even cost $5, so.

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow
Yes it is, but I would like to fix it myself if possible. I figure the best way to learn how it works is to get my hands dirty. Is this a bad mentality to have with a new bike?

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

unSavory posted:

Yes it is, but I would like to fix it myself if possible. I figure the best way to learn how it works is to get my hands dirty. Is this a bad mentality to have with a new bike?

Well, thats the thing. Lets say you fixed it yourself, got it running great. Then later on, something else goes wrong that you can't fix for whatever reason, but is covered under warranty. The dealer may be able to not cover the work needed, saying something like "Oh, he did this, this and this wrong, which caused this. We're not covering it."

I'm not saying it's bad to learn how to fix your own bike, but the warranty is an insurance policy. One which you could lose if you choose to do some work yourself.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

unSavory posted:

Sort of a bad mentality yeah. You risk taking an in-warranty problem, loving it up and voiding said warranty. Not the entire thing, but the actual part. You can take a flashlight and check for cracks, tears or other leaks in the intake path or check for nesting bald eagles in the air filter. But only if the dealer makes you wait for an inspection. Let me put it this way - I try as hard as I can to DIY my old bike, the day I have to visit a dealer will be a sad day for me. But with an in-warranty bike, the first time I encountered the problem I would ride straight to the dealer.

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow
Alright, advice taken. I'm picking up a used CB soon so I'll get my hands dirty on that. Off to the dealer I go.

Thanks for the input.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

sirbeefalot posted:

Do you have access to one of those telescoping magnets? That might be able to grab it (assuming its ferrous).

My first thought was magnet on a string...blast the metal handlbars!!!!

You might be able to push it all the way through with a good blast from an air compressor (or potato gun!)

Might also be able to use some kind of pipe cleaner if you can find a long enough one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

unSavory posted:

Alright, advice taken. I'm picking up a used CB soon so I'll get my hands dirty on that. Off to the dealer I go.

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, good idea. Maintenance is certianly something you might want to do yourself while under warranty. Repairs, not so much.