Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Promoted Pawn posted:

1. Any change in scenery is always a person.

I'd almost agree with you but there's a fire barrel that casts shadows back there. Definitely could see them pretty well, though. Some people have tried to say that the bigger the tv the easier sniping is? I have a 50 inch and most of my friends say they can't see poo poo from that spot on their screen.

Also an example of changes of scenery not being a target: on creek loving leaves blowing around in front of your scope. Sometimes you end up giving up your position firing at a stupid leaf. :doh:

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaime
Apr 27, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump
I haven't had a chance to read through the entire thread, but I remember fondly the Manic Discord days of Everquest pvp on the Vallon Zek server. I think the two guys that made that guild were goons, they played under the name Aababba and Bigbrow, and they would go into zones offering to pull people's corpses to safety and instead loot them.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I found out today that people are really, and when I say really I mean REALLY protective about their gamer score. If you call them out how your gamer score is higher (thus making you a better player) they will flip the gently caress out.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Tenkaris posted:

In Call Of Duty 4 just now, I was playing on Bloc with a sniper kit, and I spawned next to the pool. I went over to that hole in the side of the pool area and hopped up there, then crept out on the very edge of it, and then from there jumped on this diagonal support beam that lets you get a decent ways up in the air. From here you can snipe clear across the level. You have a perfect line of sight for that concrete staircase across the way and the hole in the wall. I went 20-0 in this round because they just kept returning to that spot.

A lot of them started yelling at me after the game, so I guess I griefed them? I'm pretty sure any decent sniper could have taken me out, it's such a vast distance that I can barely see them when I snipe them, most of the time I'd just be guessing, since it was just vague changes in scenery that I couldn't ever tell for sure was or wasn't a person.

Funny thing is on the servers I play on everyone seems to know that spot, so I do the opposite. I just hide next to it with a silenced gun and some C4 (or claymores if I'm lazy) and wait for the constant stream of cheap snipers to walk in.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Goky posted:

This is great. You don't see a lot of creative griefing in Diablo games. This would have been sadistic in Hardcore mode.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

This is great. You don't see a lot of creative griefing in Diablo games. This would have been sadistic in Hardcore mode.

i had a level 20ish paladin with high level charge, wearing all socketed gear with Enhanced damage or max damage jewels. was fun charging those level 40+ characters that tried to ruin low level pvp games. charge both rushed the enemy and had a knockback effect. i could beat an opponent across the field, downing mana potions to keep up momentum. i think at max i could hit for something like 2k damage.

my main character however was a 90s summoning necro, level 50 skeleton, skeleton mage, revive, and 35 golem. i literally had 100 pets. it was great in PvE runs where i could literally lock down entire regions of monsters with my army. in PvP i used enigma breatplate, with it's teleport ability, offensively, teleporting on top of players to have my entire army teleport with me and hit the guy instantly.

frodnonnag fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 18, 2009

Mooch P.
Feb 12, 2001

dAnni posted:

For those of us that play or used to play Ultima Online, we can always look back and remember the infamous stories of Belan, the noble looter.

http://www.askcorran.com/belan/episodes.html (stories told with pictures too)

I was about to post this one but I'm glad someone else has read these.

I used to make a portal to the middle of a ratmen crossbower encampment by marking a rune using two tamed dragons/drakes. I then went to brit bank and would shout "Portal to Sure Death!!!" and people would actually go in. About 20 min later i would go back with some dragons and loot it all. The key was that the ratmen immediatly shoot one round as soon as they target you, if you portal in, they all shoot instantaneously and oneshot kill anyone. It was great fun to watch the OoooOOOOooOOO's as people came back out of the portal as ghosts.

Best part; I never lied about it once. Just stupid curious people

Mooch P. fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 18, 2009

Niemand
May 26, 2009
In Planetside was the only game I liked to grief in. Mostly by picking up non-outfit members in my Galaxy (drop ship) and dumping them off into the sea (Or wide river), watching them try and make it to land and then seeing them die one by one with no grief points taken.

When I got CR5 every once in a while I would OS (Orbital Strike) a busy friendly vehicle terminal or the front door if people just waited there forever and didn't try to fight inward.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

moosecow333 posted:

I found out today that people are really, and when I say really I mean REALLY protective about their gamer score. If you call them out how your gamer score is higher (thus making you a better player) they will flip the gently caress out.

I've never gone out of my way to look at the profile of anyone I was playing with, but I've had people try and make fun of me for having too high of a gamerscore, which I don't really know why exactly that's supposed to bother me. Oh yeah, that suggested that I didn't have a girlfriend, on top of that. Ruined my day.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Niemand posted:

In Planetside was the only game I liked to grief in. Mostly by picking up non-outfit members in my Galaxy (drop ship) and dumping them off into the sea (Or wide river), watching them try and make it to land and then seeing them die one by one with no grief points taken.

Your post reminded me of a guy demo-ing Planetside for some TV games show or something. At one point he claimed to be killing enemy soldiers as they got out of their spawn tubes, but from the grief points tally slowly increasing at the bottom of the screen you could clearly see that he was in his own base killing his own soldiers. Unintentional griefing.

Or maybe he thought the demonstration was better that way, with less chance of his being killed.

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008
I once detained George Melons in atmospherics using a flashbang, having his very life in my hands for that round.

'Nuff said. :smugbert:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
In Planetside, fights generally occur near towers and/or bases. These towers and bases are usually fairly spread out, and far enough apart to make running to them take quite awhile (as well as being dangerous). After a base capture, everyone that doesn't have a vehicle will run to the vehicle pad and queue up for a vehicle. Back in it's prime, there could be 50-60 people crowded around the vehicle pad waiting for their vehicle to spawn. The vehicle spawn in a queue system, so getting a vehicle could take upwards of 20 minutes depending on how crowded the vehicle bay is and how far back in the line you are.

I was a cr5 and one of my favorite things to do was OS my local friendly vehicle pad, killing everyone near by and essentially restarting the queue. I used to work with my friends to continuously OS the vehicle bay every few minutes, basically grieving a ton of players by preventing them from doing anything but respawning, running to the vehicle bay and requeing. They could have been second in the queue, but by killing them I might have moved them back to 50th in line. I got so many angry messages from people i'd os'd that eventually GM's intervened. What was great about Planetside was that though it had a griefing system in place to prevent people from going on very long team-kill streaks, all deaths/damage done at the same time didn't stack. Killing those 30-40 friendlies, or however many were killed by a friendly OS, only resulted in 10 grief, which had 0 impact.

There were so many griefing opportunities in Planetside, but most of them have been covered.

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.
I know it makes the story flow better if you use lingo without stopping to explain every bit, but you guys need to throw us a bone here once in a while. I played Planetside very briefly but I have no idea what the gently caress "OS" means. I know CR5 refers to your rank and if I remember correctly how much poo poo you can buy and outfit yourself with, basically.

Planetside was pretty awesome for those brief few weeks I played it, even though I wasn't very creative with griefing. One of the better moments for me was buying a big rear end Galaxy(giant cargo ship) in our team's Sanctuary(place where everyone spawns, no enemies can get in, nobody expects to get killed there because it's "safe" and you can't fire weapons) and then dive-bombing right into a guild trying to take a group photo. I took out at least 6 people on foot, some light fighter ship thing and 2 tanks along with myself right when they had their little formation all lined up perfectly. That gave me enough grief that I couldn't fire a weapon for like two hours but it was completely worth it for the shitstorm that followed. Too bad Sony Online ran that game into the ground and turned it into a pile of poo poo, it was a great concept.

tl:dr I was playing on Q3CTF3 with FF and TK'ed our FC with a RL 2 feet from the cap, took the flag and got all the points for it.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainStag posted:

I know it makes the story flow better if you use lingo without stopping to explain every bit, but you guys need to throw us a bone here once in a while. I played Planetside very briefly but I have no idea what the gently caress "OS" means. I know CR5 refers to your rank and if I remember correctly how much poo poo you can buy and outfit yourself with, basically.

Congrats for not reading the thread. Someone said five posts above yours that it stands for Orbital Strike.

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.
Hmm, fair enough. I actually do remember reading that post a few days ago, I just didn't think to scroll up just now. My point is that Games forum or not, we haven't all played every single game ever so its best to avoid excessive lingo if possible.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Drox posted:

Congrats for not reading the thread. Someone said five posts above yours that it stands for Orbital Strike.

Congrats on missing the point. No point in using the lingo in the first place if it just needs to be explained... So... Just spell all the crap out please.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Let me tell you about the time I griefed a thread.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Full Circle posted:

The only actual cheat I know of is using a silenced scorpion which makes it almost as accurate as a sniper rifle. As far as I know this is PC version only though.

The Skorpion is just really accurate, its how it balances its really poo poo range and small magazine size.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
An orbital strike is basically a bomb that certain people can drop that have earned command points and achieved the command rank of 5 by leading squads and stuff. It causes a massive explosion at the point of impact and its intended for the enemy, but its even better at your own base since people aren't expecting it, and typically there are tons of people at the vehicle pad waiting for their turn in line to get a vehicle. This means lots of people dead, and mad.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

coyo7e posted:

Half of the COD4 goons who play on xbox360 use a Trash Talker.

These things are loving garbage, the sound quality is poo poo and they end up annoying the teammates you play with rather than the enemy who just mutes you.

The way we've been griefing people in CoD4 lately is thus:

-Telling people they're too poor to actually afford letters for their name so that they have to use numbers, then referring to them by the literal pronunciation of their name.

-Chanting rage quit to clans who get stomped.

-Standard homoeroticism reinforced by teammates, such as, "Kurt, he called me gay. Since I'm gay now, tell me all the things you would do to me in detail."

-Telling enemies you don't even need guns to kill them because they're so awful, then putting on an SMG, C4, and juggernaut. Holding C4 makes you run really fast and the juggernaut means you can take a hit or two. Knife all of them.

-Whatever works at the moment, really. I only play to talk to pubbies.

HORSE RAPER
Mar 21, 2004

by WorstAyatollahEver

CaptainScraps posted:

-Telling enemies you don't even need guns to kill them because they're so awful, then putting on an SMG, C4, and juggernaut. Holding C4 makes you run really fast and the juggernaut means you can take a hit or two. Knife all of them.

Haha, I never thought of this. I'm going to share this one with a couple of my friends. Bonus points for quoting terrible engrish from old kung fu movies or wuxia flicks.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

HORSE RAPER posted:

Haha, I never thought of this. I'm going to share this one with a couple of my friends. Bonus points for quoting terrible engrish from old kung fu movies or wuxia flicks.

That's for if the enemy team is terrible. If they're decent, slap on UAV jammer instead.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

So last night on COD4 I had a group of six people, and when we went to get into a game, we got put into a lobby by ourselves. It took FOREVER for six others to join in so the match could start, but the first guy to join in was "PkM Hazzard."

Mister Hazzard didn't have a mic so we started to heckle his spelling, when suddenly his mic appeared and he started asking us what we wanted. I simply asked him "What does PkM mean?" His response, which sounded very serious, was "Perfect Killing Machine." He was not very happy with how much we were laughing at him. We immediately all changed our clan tags to PkM and began to taunt him.

This was when he claimed that if he got his friends in here, we wouldn't be laughing. We told him that he should totally get his friends in because we were waiting to play and that would hurry it up. Evidently "none of his friends" were on, but he claimed he would still put us all to shame with ease. Enough people joined and the match started to load in, all the while my friends are chanting perfect killing machine like we're trying to pump ourselves up.

...We DESTROYED this guy. He went 1-9 before rage quitting. I was sniping in this one building and the enemy team was on to me big time. A claymore had just taken out someone coming for me, so I went and grabbed the AR that guy dropped and hid downstairs. PkM Hazzard jumps in a side window and I shoot him on the spot, and BAM, he's left the game. Afterwards I got my entire team to send him a text message on live that said "GOOD GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Sadly nobody else all night had this kind of pride we could smash for fun. :sigh:

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

CaptainScraps posted:

Holding C4 makes you run really fast

Bit of a derail, but this isn't actually true. Your sprint speed and sprint distance is determined entirely by what type of weapon you have in the primary weapon slot, not what you have in your hands. Shotgun, SMG, or pistol = 100%, assault rifle or sniper rifle = 95%, LMG = 87.5%. Your secondary weapon or perk 1 weapon don't effect this.

edit:

example: if you find a weapon on the ground, drop your LMG (in your primary) for it, take out your pistol and pick up the LMG (which is now in your secondary), then switch back to primary (the weapon you picked up) and pick the pistol back up so your pistol is now in primary and the LMG is now in secondary, even with the LMG out you'll have 100% sprint speed and sprint distance.

\/\/\/ you can if you pick it up

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 21, 2009

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Promoted Pawn posted:

Bit of a derail, but this isn't actually true. Your movement speed and sprint distance is determined entirely by what type of weapon you have in the primary weapon slot, not what you have in your hands. Shotgun, SMG, or pistol = 100%, assault rifle or sniper rifle = 95%, LMG = 87.5%. Your secondary weapon or perk 1 weapon don't effect this.

You can't have a pistol in the primary weapon slot :eng101:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Promoted Pawn posted:

Bit of a derail, but this isn't actually true. Your movement speed and sprint distance is determined entirely by what type of weapon you have in the primary weapon slot, not what you have in your hands. Shotgun, SMG, or pistol = 100%, assault rifle or sniper rifle = 95%, LMG = 87.5%. Your secondary weapon or perk 1 weapon don't effect this.

I'm pretty sure it's based on what weapon you're holding at the time, because if you run with an LMG, and switch to your pistol, you start going faster. :colbert:

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

City Hunter posted:

I'm pretty sure it's based on what weapon you're holding at the time, because if you run with an LMG, and switch to your pistol, you start going faster. :colbert:

We can run a race and try it out. I'll use a SMG with Extreme Conditioning and you use an LMG with Extreme Conditioning and you can switch to your pistol. I guarantee you'll lose.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Promoted Pawn posted:

We can run a race and try it out. I'll use a SMG with Extreme Conditioning and you use an LMG with Extreme Conditioning and you can switch to your pistol. I guarantee you'll lose.

Alright, we'll do it tonight after I get off work.

That is, if you're still MAN ENOUGH TO LOSE. :colbert:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Promoted Pawn posted:

Bit of a derail, but this isn't actually true. Your sprint speed and sprint distance is determined entirely by what type of weapon you have in the primary weapon slot, not what you have in your hands. Shotgun, SMG, or pistol = 100%, assault rifle or sniper rifle = 95%, LMG = 87.5%. Your secondary weapon or perk 1 weapon don't effect this.

edit:

example: if you find a weapon on the ground, drop your LMG (in your primary) for it, take out your pistol and pick up the LMG (which is now in your secondary), then switch back to primary (the weapon you picked up) and pick the pistol back up so your pistol is now in primary and the LMG is now in secondary, even with the LMG out you'll have 100% sprint speed and sprint distance.

\/\/\/ you can if you pick it up

Ok, then holding C4 makes your run look ridiculous so they end up dying to a retarded death machine.

This build led to one of my favorite moments in CoD4. Their entire team was holed up in A on crossfire on groundwar domination, about 8 of them. I sneak up through R Kelly's house (the building as you turn the corner to go to B from A) and dive past the stairs up into the building at the side and emerge behind everyone. I managed to knife all 8, but around kill 5 I got to shout "I'm in your base killing your dudes!"

Also they will hate you and call you a juggernaut fag.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 21, 2009

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.
COD4 weapons also have a mobility rating, which I assume might affect your sprinting ability aswell. I've never tested it, but I know LMGs generally have higher mobility rating than most/any of the other guns.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

Also they will hate you and call you a juggernaut fag.

I'm really honestly surprised it isn't something like "faggernaut".

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Drox posted:

I'm really honestly surprised it isn't something like "faggernaut".

If someone is thinking clearly enough to come up with that, you aren't griefing hard enough.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CaptainScraps posted:

These things are loving garbage, the sound quality is poo poo and they end up annoying the teammates you play with rather than the enemy who just mutes you.
Funny, that's exactly what I said to you guys like, 6 or 7 months ago.

HORSE RAPER posted:

C4 is fun as gently caress when you get good at it, too. Pubbies will start accusing you of cheating when you toss a C4 through an upper story window and kill 3 or 4 guys with it, after you already stabbed them all to death a few times. ;)

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

duffath posted:

COD4 weapons also have a mobility rating, which I assume might affect your sprinting ability aswell. I've never tested it, but I know LMGs generally have higher mobility rating than most/any of the other guns.

I believe you mean lower. But this can be circumvented with Overkill. It's determined by the primary weapon so you can stick a shotgun or smg in primary and an LMG in secondary and have a high mobility while wielding the heavier gun. There's a site that goes over it in detail:

quote:

Moving sideways will only allow the player to move 0.8 times the total maximum (forward) speed.
Moving backwards will only allow the player to move 0.7 times the total maximum (forward) speed.
Sprinting will allow the player to move forwards 1.5 times the total maximum (forward) speed.

Carrying an SMG, Pistol, or Shotgun in your Primary Weapon Slot (that's the gun you're holding when you spawn) gives the player a "base" run speed of "1".
A Sniper Rifle or Assault Rifle in your Primary Weapon Slot has a base run speed of "0.95". Just 5% slower than the smaller guns, not really noticeable... but it could really make a difference.
A Light Machinegun in your Primary Weapon Slot has a base run speed of "0.875". 12.5% slower than the small weapons, a bit more noticeable.

Going by the two extremes, backpedalling with an LMG only has 41% the speed of Sprinting with an SMG.
This isn't CounterStrike, the gun in your hands does not decide your speed.
If you have an LMG and SMG, you run at LMG speed.
If you have an SMG and LMG, you run at SMG speed.

I don't know why they say something about using a pistol as a primary, you can't do that.

coyo7e posted:

Funny, that's exactly what I said to you guys like, 6 or 7 months ago.

Ha. I play COD4 with a small group of friends that are on regularly, so when I'm lucky I have a full group. I was trying to prestige, playing way more often than any of them, and decided to give the goons a shot. I really couldn't stand that TrashTalk, so I just went solo. I prefer a quick-witted smart rear end over someone with a bunch of annoying sound bites.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 22, 2009

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!
Recently my bros and I have found a way to easily clear out servers with zero effort, if you can get enough people with you (usually six is enough) and everybody micspams for a while you can cause people to drop out of servers due to buffer overflow. It is an quick and efficient way to clear some room for some more friends to join in.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Tenkaris posted:

I don't know why they say something about using a pistol as a primary, you can't do that.

You just can't start with one. If you drop your primary weapon to pick up a pistol, you now have a pistol in your primary slot.

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people
In early vanilla World of Warcraft, many NPCs were susceptible to charm effects. Charm effects included the Priest's 'Mind Control' ability.

I recall several griefing videos of a Night Elf Priest mind controlling the Horde Alterac Valley Battle Master and using him to kill people queuing from that location.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnnWDPgk_3Y

It really is amazing how overpowered they made those NPCs, and the NPCs became non-charmable soon after that video was released.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Promoted Pawn posted:

You just can't start with one. If you drop your primary weapon to pick up a pistol, you now have a pistol in your primary slot.

But does that adjust your speed on the fly or is it purely determined by the weapon you spawn with? Experimentation is needed.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Tenkaris posted:

But does that adjust your speed on the fly or is it purely determined by the weapon you spawn with? Experimentation is needed.

It will adjust on the fly, as soon as you replace your primary weapon with something else. If you drop an SMG for an LMG, you'll instantly see movement penalties, and if you drop your LMG for a SMG, shotgun, or pistol, you'll move unencumbered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Promoted Pawn posted:

It will adjust on the fly, as soon as you replace your primary weapon with something else. If you drop an SMG for an LMG, you'll instantly see movement penalties, and if you drop your LMG for a SMG, shotgun, or pistol, you'll move unencumbered.

Just one more random thing I know about call of duty 4. I don't think I have much room for anything else in my memory now =/

• Locked thread