Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Autarch Kade
May 6, 2008
I generally have a good time joining random peoples forge games in Halo 3, and just deleting every thing possible before they boot me. It's especially gratifying when they send me a message how they'd worked hours on their creation and hadn't saved it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant
Pawn and Tenkaris, Please stop making GBS threads up the griefing thread with your COD4 posts, nobody cares which gun makes you walk a fraction of a frame faster, go spam the cod4 thread with that poo poo.

Now to contribute, if you're playing WoW currently then you know that the midsummer event started today. One of the best ways to grief people is to get to the docks of Auberdine with a lock/priest. When the boat makes its way over to teldrassil, about halfway there use fear/mind control and watch everyone jump off the boat into the water and die of fatigue trying to swim back to shore.

Good times, alternatively, just fear/mindcontrol people off the side of the docks just before the boat pulls in, they shouldnt be able to get back in time before it leaves.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

P_R_Deltoid posted:

In early vanilla World of Warcraft, many NPCs were susceptible to charm effects. Charm effects included the Priest's 'Mind Control' ability.

I recall several griefing videos of a Night Elf Priest mind controlling the Horde Alterac Valley Battle Master and using him to kill people queuing from that location.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnnWDPgk_3Y

It really is amazing how overpowered they made those NPCs, and the NPCs became non-charmable soon after that video was released.

If I remember correctly, priests used to be able to mind-control mages and force them to teleport to Darnassus or somewhere else ridiculously far away. You likely wouldn't see them again in that area for hours.

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people

Vanguard Warden posted:

If I remember correctly, priests used to be able to mind-control mages and force them to teleport to Darnassus or somewhere else ridiculously far away. You likely wouldn't see them again in that area for hours.

Not exactly. Mind Controlling player characters did not let you access their abilities besides Auto attack. Where'd you see that?

Unless you meant forcing them to use premade portals, in which case, I'm unsure if that was in-game.

Zenodice posted:

Now to contribute, if you're playing WoW currently then you know that the midsummer event started today. One of the best ways to grief people is to get to the docks of Auberdine with a lock/priest. When the boat makes its way over to teldrassil, about halfway there use fear/mind control and watch everyone jump off the boat into the water and die of fatigue trying to swim back to shore.

Good times, alternatively, just fear/mindcontrol people off the side of the docks just before the boat pulls in, they shouldnt be able to get back in time before it leaves.

How is the holiday relevant? You grief Horde coming to steal Darnassus' flame?

Also, fear will not drop you over an edge (at least, most of the time.) It has counter measures to make sure it stays on things like docks or cliffsides.

P_R_Deltoid fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 22, 2009

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Unless you meant forcing them to use premade portals, in which case, I'm unsure if that was in-game.

It was. Back in the day, you could mind control someone and walk them out the Warsong Gulch portal, kicking them out of the match

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

coyo7e posted:

Funny, that's exactly what I said to you guys like, 6 or 7 months ago.
C4 is fun as gently caress when you get good at it, too. Pubbies will start accusing you of cheating when you toss a C4 through an upper story window and kill 3 or 4 guys with it, after you already stabbed them all to death a few times. ;)

My favourite use for C4 is in domination. I would throw C4 right on the flag point so it made the brick of high explosive look like it was base of the flag itself. Combine this with the fact that very few people use bomb squad often means people will find themselves lying on top of it while capping and I'd be hiding nearby just waiting to double-tap X and would do so within a second of them starting to cap.

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant

P_R_Deltoid posted:

How is the holiday relevant? You grief Horde coming to steal Darnassus' flame?

Also, fear will not drop you over an edge (at least, most of the time.) It has counter measures to make sure it stays on things like docks or cliffsides.

Thats exactly why you would do it, and there's TONS of people trying to do it every day right now.

I know for a fact that both fear and MC worked for this, you can stand behind one of the poles on the dock or on the rock beside the northern arm of the dock and do this, it will work and people will get pissed.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Not exactly. Mind Controlling player characters did not let you access their abilities besides Auto attack. Where'd you see that?

You do know that things change over time, right?

People used to raid faction cities by MCing a mage and making them throw up a portal for the raid to go through.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

People used to raid faction cities by MCing a mage and making them throw up a portal for the raid to go through.

Thats why you kept lovely abilities on your main bar in PvP.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Fun low level griefing on WoW:

I rolled a Night Elf hunter, and leveled him to 10. I then made the long voyage to the Valley of Trials, by The Den. Once there, I trained a scorpid and named him "Sarkoth." (Sarkoth is a named mob, and is part of a low level horde quest.) I shadowmelded, and waited for some lowb Horde to show up and attack "Sarkoth," flagging themselves. When they did, I'd come out of nowhere and kill them. You would be surprised how long I got away with this. Good fun.

Using the same lvl 10 character:
Had my roommate roll an Orc Warrior on his account, same server. He would go out into the valley and lead people right to me. I'd usually hit him, just to encourage his friend(s) to attack me. Of course, when the fighting began, my roommate just sat there and watched. He also led people to the location of "Sarkoth" for those doing that quest. Good times.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Zenodice posted:

Pawn and Tenkaris, Please stop making GBS threads up the griefing thread with your COD4 posts, nobody cares which gun makes you walk a fraction of a frame faster, go spam the cod4 thread with that poo poo.

I like how you boohoo about a couple posts about COD4 and then rehash the same boring "I mind controlled people in WOW" story that's been posted like once a page. :downs:

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people

Johnny Aztec posted:

He made it seem as if you can CAST the mage's Teleport ability. I was clarifying what I suspected he meant, which was not casting, but instead utilizing portals that were already there. I never disagreed that he could not do the latter.

The Mind Control ability has never given the caster access to the other players abilities. You're making stuff up now.

Zenodice posted:

Thats exactly why you would do it, and there's TONS of people trying to do it every day right now.

I know for a fact that both fear and MC worked for this, you can stand behind one of the poles on the dock or on the rock beside the northern arm of the dock and do this, it will work and people will get pissed.

Fear would only work if the fear ended when the character is on the edge of the dock. I've fought on the Booty Bay boat and dock many times, fear will not drop you off the edge unless your character comes back from fear in a position that is too steep to stand on.

P_R_Deltoid fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 22, 2009

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Code Jockey posted:

This isn't just CoD4, this is every single multiplayer game ever made
CoD4 seems to have it built right in. Literally every server on the planet has a list of perks and weapons you aren't allowed to use.

Punkbuster means TKing for long stretches is out since you will get kicked for "excessively negative score". That's about one RPG at your team's feet at the start of a Hardcore round before you're gone. You're pretty much forced to grief the other team somehow, but fortunately I've never run into an admin. Server doesn't allow Martyrdom and grenade launchers? Use Overkill + Martyrdom! Playing on a headshot farming server? Call in your airstrikes! Playing any kind of game at all? Everyone on your team loves stun grenades!

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 22, 2009

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant

Tenkaris posted:

I like how you boohoo about a couple posts about COD4 and then rehash the same boring "I mind controlled people in WOW" story that's been posted like once a page. :downs:

Again, stop making GBS threads up the thread, if you're not contributing good stories (that aren't the same old FPS bullshit) then get out of the thread.

Another grief that a few people have been using lately, is to join a random game in minecraft, find someone who has a nice skin, go to the following URL http://minecraft.net/skin/XXXXX.png (replace XXXXX with their minecraft name) and copy their skin. Rejoin the game using their skin and proceed to watch the tears flow.

Alternatively, just flood caves with water/lava and people will poo poo their pants with rage.

A fun way to cause rage in WoW that was discussed recently on the wow gold making thread is to monopolize the "gatekeeper" or "bottleneck" materials necessary for leveling up various professions. The most effective would be the Gold and Black pearls necessary for leveling Enchanting. These markets are usually small and if you've got a couple thousand gold to toss around, you can buy them all out and either hoard them yourself or jack the price up to a few hundred gold. You will get mails filled with rage either way.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Zenodice posted:

Again, stop making GBS threads up the thread, if you're not contributing good stories (that aren't the same old FPS bullshit) then get out of the thread.

Another grief that a few people have been using lately, is to join a random game in minecraft, find someone who has a nice skin, go to the following URL http://minecraft.net/skin/XXXXX.png (replace XXXXX with their minecraft name) and copy their skin. Rejoin the game using their skin and proceed to watch the tears flow.

Alternatively, just flood caves with water/lava and people will poo poo their pants with rage.

A fun way to cause rage in WoW that was discussed recently on the wow gold making thread is to monopolize the "gatekeeper" or "bottleneck" materials necessary for leveling up various professions. The most effective would be the Gold and Black pearls necessary for leveling Enchanting. These markets are usually small and if you've got a couple thousand gold to toss around, you can buy them all out and either hoard them yourself or jack the price up to a few hundred gold. You will get mails filled with rage either way.

I'm sorry you don't like FPS stories. I don't like your lovely WOW stories either. Here's a griefing story of a different flavor, I made some dude mad talking about FPSes in a thread and he whined about it, I had fun though :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Space Station 13 was hilarious as usual.
After an uneventful hour where the captain was possessed by a clown mind control ray and ordered the chapel turned into a circus big top and demanded people sign up as lions, clowns and human cannonballs (who were launched out of the chapel's mass driver, of course), we got to a new round.

As an engineer I was routinely filling up the engine with oxygen and plasma when alerts start blaring all over. The front of the bridge had exploded, taking out some command personnel. gently caress the engine, I just ran the hell out of there into the remains of the Eastern Station Hallway. The remainder of the crew were screaming and yelling over the radio, trying to figure out what happened. Was it a terrorist bomb? An engine malfunction? Engineering mishap? Then another explosion takes out security, sucking a few more helpless souls into space. I followed a few crewmembers I saw running past. The AI had announced that the rescue shuttle was inbound, and the station was taking heavy damage from an unknown source. Not wanting to risk being blown up in the main corridor if it was an attack, I ducked into a maintainence tunnel. I was hoping I'd be able to pick up some breathing gear as well. I emerged with an air mask and oxygen tank near the station's bar and made a dash north. The captain was there too. Amid the explosions we saw another crewmember, Rob, steadily roaming back and forth in the hallway, putting down yellow signs. We promptly lost our footing on the soapy floor.

That's right, in the middle of a crisis, Rob the janitor was still mopping the floor. We got up and beat his face in, then threw his mop and bucket out the airlock. And I found out what was causing the explosions as a meteor hit me in the face.

Cue Rob the Janitor whining in the OOC channel about how we'd attacked him for no reason, that he was only doing his job. No, we had a very good reason. Well that round ended and the next began. I ended up as a scientist. Soon the captain dropped by to inspect the lab and exchange pleasantries. After a short chat he left us to finish his rounds and stepped throught the lab doors, whereupon we heard a squeak and a crash. The captain had slipped on soapy water. Outside the door, mop in one hand, slop bucket in the other, was Rob the loving Janitor. He shot one look at us then took off. The captain roared "THAT loving JANITOR!" over the intercom and the entire crew was soon on the search of Rob.

We chased him all over the drat station, which wasnt easy because he'd mopped quite a few spots already and these were easily identified by the piles of prone bodies. Eventually we wrestled him down and got his mop, tossing it into a high security lockup. The slop bucket got shot into space. Rob was screaming now, why, WHY were we so, so MEAN TO HIM. There was no roleplay reason to destroy his mop and bucket!

It didnt end there though, because he got frogmarched down to the lab and tossed into the gene machine and when he came out, he was a monkey. Oh how loving pissed off he was, because he bit the gently caress out of everyone when the doors opened. (Meanwhile, he was screaming for admin help because 'help they're griefing me!') He got locked back inside the machine when the captain ordered him be turned into a girl. We had a little setback when an enraged female monkey emerged and bit us some more, but eventually we got it right as Rob came out with a new rack and a set of genitalia, screaming 'gently caress YOU ALL FUCKERS!'

Then both she and the captain vanished into thin air and we heard only vague rumours about what had happened. Apparently both had gone to fight on eternally, Rob the Janitor being made immortal, but harmless, while the Captain chased him down with an infinite supply of weapons and ammunition. But of that, only the Captain and Rob the Janitor could say for sure.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that was pretty gay of you actually. If the janitor's using his signs it's your own stupid fault.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Yeah Rob is pretty awesome. I wish my workplace had janitors with such dedication to duty.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Maybe he was a bit whiny on the OOC channel, but did you seriously beat up, arrest, and throw into jail (after destroying his tools) the one person still doing his job on a decaying space station?

No wonder Space Station 13 keeps breaking.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh I kind of agree. The janitor is pretty much a job purely for griefing everyone else, as there's no real purpose to it (apart from cleaning up evidence of crimes), and it just leads to people slipping and knocking themselves unconscious. And you have to scamper off before they regain consciousness and beat you to death.

Terawatt
Jun 6, 2004

Centre '05!
COCK
-a-doodle-
HEIL!
I use to play Asheron's Call a long time ago, so some of the details on these are a big hazy.

In one of the towns there was a NPC named "Weary Looking Man" that would randomly state "I have a key you might be interested in." I think the key let you into some low level dungeon nearby, but there was always someone that was trying to get the key from this guy. I got bored one day and created a character that looked as close to the Weary Looking Man as was possible. The game didn't care if there was an NPC with the same name, players. I would stand around in the middle of town declaring I had a key you might be interested in, and when someone would come to turn in their quest and get the key I would usually make up some impossible task they needed to complete before I would hand them the key. Wasn't the best of griefs, but there were several people that would get ticked off and moan about a broken npc or quest chain in town.

Better yet, all NPC characters/creatures in the game could level up just like people could. When I hit level 30 or so I would go to the starting villages and find random rabbits to hit and get to attack me. Once they were interested I would take off all my armor and lay on the ground to let them kill me. I spent a few hours doing this and had a level 1 rabbit to like level 8 I think. For some new player that wasn't paying attention, they would run in to attack and get torn apart by this fluffy little bunny. By killing the players it would gain a bit more xp. If I remember correctly it got to level 12 before someone came through and killed it with a higher level character.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh man that just reminded me of an AWESOME City of Heroes prank the goons pulled a long time ago. This was around Issue 2 or 3, when I was still playing.

Someone found a bugged mission where anyone in the team would get XP from it, no matter where in the world they were. So we'd send in a high-level person to run around and destroy whatever MacGuffins were required (but never the last one, it'd close out the mission!) and the rest of us would line up in Atlas Park and do jumping jacks. There was such a disgusting amount of XP from this, it was very easy to level up from it, so at least one in our group would ding every few minutes or so.

Of course, all the pubbies were wondering how we were dinging so much from doing apparently nothing. We told them that there was a Jumping Jack Mission that you had to get from a contact named Rich Kyanka in some high-level area (some big high-aggro city, forget what it was called) and they'd greedily rush off to find it. Some of them would persist and we'd be like "Oh sometimes he's in the NW corner" and lead them on a big wild goose chase.

That was awesome. Not as awesome as the swarm of Agent Smiths though.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That was awesome. Not as awesome as the swarm of Agent Smiths though.

Haha what?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

SynthOrange posted:

Oh I kind of agree. The janitor is pretty much a job purely for griefing everyone else, as there's no real purpose to it (apart from cleaning up evidence of crimes), and it just leads to people slipping and knocking themselves unconscious. And you have to scamper off before they regain consciousness and beat you to death.

Rob the janitor is now my hero and I want to aspire to be just like him in SS13.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Full Circle posted:

Haha what?

Furry persuction officers, I believe. I wish I had the images, but the stories usually involved government agents with alphanumeric codenames promoting reform and repentance of 'sexual defiants' and the beatings of animal characters with the appropriate emotes.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Zenodice posted:

This kind of griefing isn't even funny. Stop destroying awesome structures.

Unless you're talking about the public servers where someone digs a random tunnel and calls it a fort, in which case, it is funny if they get mad over it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dinictus posted:

Furry persuction officers, I believe. I wish I had the images, but the stories usually involved government agents with alphanumeric codenames promoting reform and repentance of 'sexual defiants' and the beatings of animal characters with the appropriate emotes.
Nothing quite so complex.

Basically everyone made identical Agent Smith-looking superheroes with the alphanumeric names. they'd chase and harass people in swarms of about 5-10, sometimes more, and quote Smith's lines while "attacking" them (this was way before PvP and CoV, so it didn't actually do anything but the pubbie tears were awesome)

I don't remember it being a fursecution thing though, just a Matrix thing.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Xinlum posted:

It is when people hilariously melt down about it, which is the whole point. Of course, the griefed never find it so funny.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Spiffo posted:

It is when people hilariously melt down about it, which is the whole point. Of course, the griefed never find it so funny.

Yeah, I posted about how I griefed my D&D group after I got bored of them doing something ineffectual, and the most fun I've gotten out of it is watching TG calling me a dick like it'll hurt me after I posted it in the "Horrible Gaming Moments" thread and admitted it was dickish and dumb.

Cryle
Jul 19, 2008

by Ozmaugh

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, I posted about how I griefed my D&D group after I got bored of them doing something ineffectual, and the most fun I've gotten out of it is watching TG calling me a dick like it'll hurt me after I posted it in the "Horrible Gaming Moments" thread and admitted it was dickish and dumb.

great story

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Cryle posted:

great story

It's saying that griefing its self isn't the fun part, it's the over the top reactions by people who take things too seriously. Like you.

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant

Xinlum posted:

Unless you're talking about the public servers where someone digs a random tunnel and calls it a fort, in which case, it is funny if they get mad over it.

I only ever grief pubbies, never grief goons.

Speaking of which, if you're going to grief pubbies the best way i've found aside from the above mentioned tactics, is to burrow beneath buildings you want to destroy and gently caress them up from beneath, as soon as someone drops into eye level, press R and respawn far away.

I managed to get about 20 different pubbies banned from this 1 server today because everyone else blamed them for the griefing I was doing... it was priceless.

Zenodice fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 23, 2009

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Zenodice posted:

I only ever grief pubbies, never grief goons.

Seeing people melt down about BETRAYAL OF THE GOON BROTHERHOOD can be pretty funny, though, only made more funny when they e-stalk the person who griefed them whenever they make a post on the forums.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Somebody once posted a video (dont remember which game it was from) of a guy sitting on a horse blocking a path along a very narrow ledge. In order to continue on down the path, you had to walk behind this guys horse, there was no other way past. Every time somebody would walk behind the horse, the horse would kick them off the ledge to their death. Anybody still have this video?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

I try to grief goons whenever possible, they take games at least as seriously as everyone else

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Somebody once posted a video (dont remember which game it was from) of a guy sitting on a horse blocking a path along a very narrow ledge. In order to continue on down the path, you had to walk behind this guys horse, there was no other way past. Every time somebody would walk behind the horse, the horse would kick them off the ledge to their death. Anybody still have this video?

Good times with a horse

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Sounds like Age of Conan. I imagine searching for something like "age of conan horse" on youtube'll work, I'd do it but youtube's blocked here :(

(edit) Gherkin you are a weiner and a butt t:mad:

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Mr. Clark2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw
Edit:ffffffffffffffuck

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Nothing quite so complex.

Basically everyone made identical Agent Smith-looking superheroes with the alphanumeric names. they'd chase and harass people in swarms of about 5-10, sometimes more, and quote Smith's lines while "attacking" them (this was way before PvP and CoV, so it didn't actually do anything but the pubbie tears were awesome)

I don't remember it being a fursecution thing though, just a Matrix thing.

Fursecution was a separate thing, where a bunch of people made government agents and went to another server with a high furry population, telling them that they were in violation of sexual perversion codes and poo poo like that. This generated a lot more impotent nerd rage than you'd think; then again, we're talking about people living vicariously through a videogame. I think at one point one of the devs showed up in an NPC avatar and started handing out temporary titles to fursecutors and a few whiners who couldn't let it go, good times.

Another great one was the Marvel Lawyers, who basically did the Agent Smith thing but accused everyone of ripping off a Marvel character no matter how slight (or imaginary) their infraction was, then claiming that they'd be deleted and/or sued into oblivion. This was shortly after Marvel tried suing Cryptic because the CoH character creator allowed people to make ripoff costumes, if I recall. If CoH griefing doesn't sound that impressive, it's only because it takes so little to set off the hypersensitive crybabies who apparently make up a large portion of the playerbase.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It probably helps a little that the Fursecutors operated on Virtue, which was the self-designated RP server. The average Virtuite has no sense of humour, an extraordinarily strong persecution complex (on account of being gay, furry, a pederast or some combination of the previous), and a predilection toward cybersex.

• Locked thread