Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/1232910737.html

:downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
^^ Durrrrrrrrrrr :downsgun:

Phy, buy that RZ only if you want all the yanks on here to get jealous and call you names. Or if you want to have something ridiculous. :ssj:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
hah, that's great

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Phy posted:

is there anything GS-specific I should know aside from the regular stuff to check?
Electrical is the big thing. make sure it's charging. Otherwise, there's not a whole lot to worry about.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Running the engine while changing oil. There isn't a Picard facepalm big enough.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

quote:

1995 SUZUKI GS500E Twin with just 5400 miles - $950 (Ann Arbor)
Reply to: sale-tcgwp-1232910737@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-06-21, 7:38PM EDT

I decided to sell off my SUZUKI GS500E which I bought recently for a heavy (1500) price. My loss is your gain. Price has been reduced because the engine is kind of seized. Was trying to do an oil change and while the oil was being drained the engine was on in Idle condition and it got stuck... To get it released from tat position is just a 20 min job for a mechanic which I am not and more over I am moving for a Ninja 600 from my friend so not interested in this bike anymore.
The engine seized in while idling and not while riding so it may not be a big effort to get it undone. (Was following the manual tat said keeping the engine running can heat oil and make it less viscous and easy to flow out.)
I paid a lot for the bike since it has just 5400 miles so no low ball offers

Carbs rebuilt recently. Complete kit was bought new. I have almost another new kit to offer since I bought two kits. (Bonus)
Everything works in the bike You may just need to recharge the battery since its been sitting for a while.
Original title in my name
Will sell it as is
Cash only... No trades....

PS: If the posting is still there the bike is still there... Willing to throw in a riding helmet that has been used just 5 times and leather gloves since they dont fit me well... (Both received as gifts from friends so not my size)
Rear brake could be better with some extra brake oil in reservoir and bleeding according to manual.
The panels are intact and have been just loosened to access the carburettor. They are clip on type so just needs to be pushed into the slot.
The old key was kinda flimsy so I have made a brand new key. You can have both old and new when you buy.

Final note: I have tried to furnish every info abt the bike. The engine sounded very powerful when i used to run it because its just run for 5400 miles. (Doesn't move now though)
Get the engine unfrozen with oil or whatever ur mechanic recommends and charge the battery and it is ready to ride.

Quoted for the future, when it invariably gets flagged or whatever.

Also: Kind of seized. Unfrozen with oil, lol.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I...I don't know what to say. Surely the manual said to stop the engine after warmup/before draining oil? Were the "carbs rebuilt recently" by this same genius?

"Kind of seized" = "kind of pregnant"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nerobro posted:

Electrical is the big thing. make sure it's charging. Otherwise, there's not a whole lot to worry about.

Hm.
Downsides on this one include: rust on a couple of the tabs, bent headlight bracket, the clutch and throttle are stiff, and I'm not a fan of the seat. Otherwise it seems to be in pretty awesome shape. Did the cruiser style have a different steering geometry than the regular G series? e: It did, if the 550 manual is any judge.

Phy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 28, 2009

Torgo.
May 1, 2008
Are there any common issues on Honda VFR400s? Any parts that wear unusually quickly, or issues that pop up after a certain mileage?

I'm looking at getting one next year. I'm on a Kawasaki ZXR250 right now, but I'm heading overseas and VFRs seem pretty popular where I'm moving to. Do you think they'd be enough of a step up from a 45hp 250cc bike or should I look at something more powerful?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Well, if you're moving to North America, then you're probably better off looking for a VFR750, as I don't believe the 400 was ever sold here. They did sell the VF500F, but it's down on power from the VFR400.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
So I've been thinking about upgrading from my Ninja 250. I love it, don't get me wrong, but I'm beginning to grow out of it.

Or maybe bikes are just addictive and I want another one just because they are shiny and awesome.

I really like the look of my bike:
https://wi.somethingawful.com/30/3024b648b2a713fedfc181b4e3a57a8f022d0128.jpg

Namely that is it naked and has an old fashioned look to it.

Other bikes that have caught my eye are the Triumph Bonneville, Suzuki Gladius, and Kawi ER-6n. IE a standard bike - between sport and cruiser. I'm also pleased with the look of the naked SV650 (ie with NO fairings at all).

I'm happy to spend hours/days/weeks/months scouring CL to find the bike I want, but I'm not sure if there are other bikes I should be looking for.

Anybody got any ideas?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Phy posted:

Did the cruiser style have a different steering geometry than the regular G series? e: It did, if the 550 manual is any judge.
Yes, and no. The E's, G's and L's have exactly the same geometry! The L, and some G models have the front axle in front of the fork legs, but they use less offset in the triples. The wheelbase, trail, and steering angle are all the same. THe L's came with different handlebars and different seats so things feel very different.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

BlueBayou posted:

So I've been thinking about upgrading from my Ninja 250. I love it, don't get me wrong, but I'm beginning to grow out of it.

Or maybe bikes are just addictive and I want another one just because they are shiny and awesome.

I really like the look of my bike:
https://wi.somethingawful.com/30/3024b648b2a713fedfc181b4e3a57a8f022d0128.jpg

Other bikes that have caught my eye are the Triumph Bonneville, Suzuki Gladius, and Kawi ER-6n. IE a standard bike - between sport and cruiser. I'm also pleased with the look of the naked SV650 (ie with NO fairings at all).

I'm happy to spend hours/days/weeks/months scouring CL to find the bike I want, but I'm not sure if there are other bikes I should be looking for.

Anybody got any ideas?

At the risk of incurring scorn & ridicule, I would toss in the Harley Sportster 883. In this market, decent examples are going for < $4k. If that's not your cup of tea, kindly disregard.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ahh, I see what you mean about the forks and the axle. On the 550 the manual is saying the caster and trail differ by about .12 of an inch, and a degree, respectively, whether that matters a whole heck of a lot I don't know. Either way if I got an L (because that's what seems to be prevalent in these parts) I would necessarily have to standardize it, starting with the bars.

Anyway, now that I've got off my butt and am progressing with putting my thump back together, I think I'm gonna hold off on purchases while I ride it and get it into saleable condition, and decide whether I want to get a weestrom, or an old I4 and a middlin' dr650.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Bucephalus posted:

At the risk of incurring scorn & ridicule, I would toss in the Harley Sportster 883. In this market, decent examples are going for < $4k. If that's not your cup of tea, kindly disregard.

Looks wise, its real purdy. But the foot position is crazy far forward

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

BlueBayou posted:

as a BMW owner let me suggest any number of naked BMWs made from 1975 until the mid 80s. /6, /7, R65... they look old fashioned cause they are, and will last a long time if not totally abused. they take longer to find on craigslist, but i see them with some frequency even in my rural area, at prices between what japs and a harley would cost. plus then you can join the BMWMOA and go to the BMWMOA international rally where you'll meet lots of nice old folks. :tipshat:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Phy posted:

Ahh, I see what you mean about the forks and the axle. On the 550 the manual is saying the caster and trail differ by about .12 of an inch, and a degree, respectively, whether that matters a whole heck of a lot I don't know. Either way if I got an L (because that's what seems to be prevalent in these parts) I would necessarily have to standardize it, starting with the bars.

Anyway, now that I've got off my butt and am progressing with putting my thump back together, I think I'm gonna hold off on purchases while I ride it and get it into saleable condition, and decide whether I want to get a weestrom, or an old I4 and a middlin' dr650.

Hmm... I'm apt to believe clymers versus the poo poo on suzukcycles.org. Yes, it does matter a good bit. Strange. :-) Bars are simple and quick.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BlueBayou posted:

Kawasaki take on the Bonneville, the W650, but probably impossible to find.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Torgo. posted:

Are there any common issues on Honda VFR400s? Any parts that wear unusually quickly, or issues that pop up after a certain mileage?

I'm looking at getting one next year. I'm on a Kawasaki ZXR250 right now, but I'm heading overseas and VFRs seem pretty popular where I'm moving to. Do you think they'd be enough of a step up from a 45hp 250cc bike or should I look at something more powerful?

They're really, really good bikes. Try and find an RVF400 though, they're newer and have a 17" rear so it's easier to get rubber, and slightly better suspension and brakes. The only real issue is the reg/rec, but that's just Hondas in genera;, not the VFR/RVF in particular. The problem you'll find is they're older bikes so they might need a bit of general work, and carby V4s can be fiddly as poo poo to work on.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

BlueBayou posted:

Looks wise, its real purdy. But the foot position is crazy far forward

With forward controls, yes, but they're an add-on. The stock arrangement is more sensible:
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2003models/2003-Harley-Davidson-XLSportster883R.jpg

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
i'm no harley fan, but that is pretty cool looking. that tank must have a range measured in feet, though.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

i'm no harley fan, but that is pretty cool looking. that tank must have a range measured in feet, though.

I heard it's measured in Bars per Mile.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
So I read the Sportster thread that just got bumped... and I think I will go ahead and pass.

That W650 is amazing though

Logue
Nov 16, 2005
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1243611563.html

Gonna look at this later today. Is $2100 reasonable for a 2001 GS500 with 3500 miles, or can I talk him down?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
My neighbour has a W650, I keep meaning to get pics when it's not covered. Could have had a great shot of it and my CB400T last month when I was wrenching on the street, but there ya go.

NoCleverName
Nov 16, 2006

Alright, so I just got back from looking at a bike, and I need some help.

It's a 2004 Ninja 250 that hadn't been started since 2006. The issues (that I know of) are:

1. Won't start without a jump
2. Doesn't idle very well

The battery was drained, as expected, so that probably accounts for number 1? Could there be more serious electrical issues hidden by that? It had gas from 2006 in it, stabilized, but it's still old as hell, so that could maybe account for the second problem?

One of the front turn signals had been broken off, but was taped back on and still functioned. He said it went down in the yard, not sure if I believe that, but there weren't any other signs of a serious drop to my untrained eye.

3. The back suspension may have been bottoming out when I sat on it. I felt it go down and then sort of click and stop, which I assume means it hit bottom. The front was a little mushy.

4. The tires were the originals, so they're 5 years old. They looked to be in good shape though, deep treads and I didn't see any dry rot.

Other than that stuff, it looked good. I made an offer of 1800, which he accepted (almost too quickly). I have to make a decision tonight though, I'm leaving on Thursday and I want to try and pick it up tomorrow. I also told him I'd email him tonight saying that I would for sure be buying it. So if anyone thinks this is a terrible idea, please let me know quick, I'm going to email him around 9:30 I think.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's reasonable enough. You need to replace the tires, battery and you need to probably drain and possibly clean the carbs.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Who has had seat time on a bunch of liter bikes? Roughly the 2004 model year. Right now my heart is set on the Honda and want to pick one up before the end of the year. My second choice is the Yamaha R1. Dislikes or comments about either??

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Phy posted:

Keeping my options open, I'm gonna go look at a GS650L tomorrow, is there anything GS-specific I should know aside from the regular stuff to check?

E: also holy cow RZ350 outta nowhere

I PMd this to Drakerider earlier, but it sounds like he's fixed up so I'll post it for you since you don't seem to be too far away.

http://lethbridge.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-1983-GR-650-Tempter-W0QQAdIdZ133788248

quote:

983 Suzuki Tempter,44k,New exaust,Battery,tires.Runs well.currently registered.$1600 OBO.Good starter bike displays what gear you are in.Interesting trades considered.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
There's a GS850 for sale near me and I'm having trouble finding info on the net and most threads on the GSR seem to go unanswered.
Is there anything in particular wrong with these bikes? Are parts still common? Do they share parts with other GS, and if yes which?
It listed as running, but its not pretty so it will need a restore. It seems to have more in common with the 10/1100 bikes instead of the 750 but i could be wrong?

Chances are that it will sell for several thousand dollars and will appear on ebay a week later in parts like every other bike around here, but is there any issue with the 850 that i shouldn't try to buy it?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

http://www.thegsresources.com/reviews/gs_80-83_850_review.htm

...summary of which: Heavy, but incredibly reliable. If the one you're looking at isn't a total wreck, it might be worth your effort.

quote:

Suzuki wanted to discontinue the bike after 1983. Problem was, the customers didn't agree to this. So Suzuki revamped the bike (and some of the other shafties, such as the GS1100GK) once again and reintroduced it. The GS850G could be bought new up until 1986, when it disappeared from the catalog. The Dutch importer even got some from Hamamatsu in 1987... making the GS850 the last of the true GS's.

That would sell me on it right there, heavy as an elephant or not.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Z3n posted:

That's reasonable enough. You need to replace the tires, battery and you need to probably drain and possibly clean the carbs.

he's also indicating that the rear shock is shot. if it has NO damping at all, it must be replaced.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

a
That would sell me on it right there, heavy as an elephant or not.
The GS850 also has almost 80hp. I found my friends to be quite quick. :-) and the shaft means no chain lube. Heavy as they may be, their CG is low, so they're managable.

They're compatable with the other "G" bikes, driveline wise. Their top end is the same size as the GS750-1150's. Their carbs are the same as on the GS550/650/750 bikes. And most of the parts are standard suzuki parts bin.

So that means parts are easy to find. :-)

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 30, 2009

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Exactly what i was hoping to hear. Thanks.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Goddamn I was THIS close to test riding / falling in love with a new Brutale 910S at a semi-local dealer. They've got it marked down to $12,800 and they move a ton of BMWs so they could easily take the F800 for trade-in. But I backed off. It's not known for being a good machine for doing any decent distances, it would cost me more money, etc. etc. but oh my god, the siren song of that Italian mama...

I just found a few 2007 aniversary Interceptors on the other side of the state.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Hey GS folks, any ideas what may be the problem here? Think this is worth the asking price?

http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/1243802713.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sigtrap posted:

Goddamn I was THIS close to test riding / falling in love with a new Brutale 910S at a semi-local dealer. They've got it marked down to $12,800 and they move a ton of BMWs so they could easily take the F800 for trade-in. But I backed off. It's not known for being a good machine for doing any decent distances, it would cost me more money, etc. etc. but oh my god, the siren song of that Italian mama...

I just found a few 2007 aniversary Interceptors on the other side of the state.

People who buy motorcycles because they're practical end up with a lifetime of riding SVs and BMWs.

A motorcycle will never be practical, and as a logical extension, should always be completely insane. The Brutale's not a nice price point of performance and cost..it's a loving Italian motorcycle. It looks like it's going a thousand miles an hour sitting in your garage. At any moment, a swarm of confused models could drop from the sky to rub themselves on it.

A motorcycle should always have at least one additional insane thing about it...the Brutale's got like 9. Buy it. Ride it year round. Take it off road. Give the finger to all the MV owners who carefully rub their wheels down with shammie clothes and lovingly drizzle wax over their bikes in a regimented ritual, before turning on the bike, letting it warm up, reving it to 4 grand once and then turning it off and cleaning it again. "Was it good for you too?"

gently caress those guys. Buy it. Abuse it. Give it redline, power wheelies, stoppies, lurid slides and stupid overtakes. Wheelie for children, disgust parents. Power corrupts, italian power corrupts absolutely.

This advice shouldn't be taken by anyone. Last time I took it I almost ended up in jail.

NoCleverName
Nov 16, 2006

Nerobro posted:

he's also indicating that the rear shock is shot. if it has NO damping at all, it must be replaced.

Well, I ended up getting it. How do I tell if it's completely shot? It springs back up fairly well, and I was putting a bit of force on it to get it down to the bottom. I probably got ripped off, but I don't mind doing a little work on it. In fact, one of the major reasons I bought a bike is that I want to be able to work on it.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

frozenphil posted:

Hey GS folks, any ideas what may be the problem here? Think this is worth the asking price?

Coils, plugs, ignition? Air filter? Dirty carbs/carb jetting? Valve clearance? Any/all of the above? I think it's a decent deal, but I'm a sucker for fixer-upper projects. I'd go with a compression tester just to make sure the compression is good, you can probably find one for $25 or so, it's a good tool to have around just in case. You can also bring along a multimeter if you want to see if the coils are good. Either way, it's PROBABLY not an expensive fix, but who knows.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

frozenphil posted:

I bought almost that exact bike, except it was a '91. Within a thousand miles too. Crazy.

Anywho, I bought it non running for $350, and it was a lot more beat up then this one. I'd say it's worth checking out. I'd pay $1,000 for it, assuming everything was good after a check over. But then, this is California dollars we're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

NoCleverName posted:

Well, I ended up getting it. How do I tell if it's completely shot? It springs back up fairly well, and I was putting a bit of force on it to get it down to the bottom. I probably got ripped off, but I don't mind doing a little work on it. In fact, one of the major reasons I bought a bike is that I want to be able to work on it.
If you can bottom it, it's shot. go find a low mileage used one, or spend $200 on a nice shock. either way, you're well off.