Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 7, 2005
I've got a 95' Laguna Blue miata that has been having a small issue during acceleration. The car tends to buck when taking off. It's not that I'm not giving the car enough gas or that I'm releasing the clutch too quickly. It's more like there is play in a transmission mount or something that moves, then pops back, then moves, etc. I checked the motor mounts, and everything appears to be ok. As for the transmission, I don't notice the gear shifter moving when it happens. I haven't jacked the car up to take a look at the drive shaft yet so that may be it. Anyone else have something similar going on that could point me in the right direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hog Obituary posted:

I have one that can be yours for $45+ship :)

new/used, oem or aftermarket?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
used OEM (as far as I can tell). The endcaps are still black and it wasn't leaking when I pulled it (I got a big aluminum one for my car). Mileage unknown. Email me at hogobituary at gmail if interested.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I appreciate the offer, but I think I'll go with a new all metal radiator.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to put in a new clutch soon, and could use some input.
Theres the "OEM" Mazda Value edition; from the dealership it's about $110 locally. The dude at the dealership (Trussville Mazda) said the value editions dont hold up well for those who like to drive the card hard. I do like to drive mine hard and routinely do silly things.
Then theres the OEM "OEM" clutch from Mazda, for the the whole kit its closer to $220. This is supposed to be more stout and able to take plenty of punishment from people like myself who like run it all the way out to red-line on a regular basis.
Ive also seen an Exedy clutch kit online, part # KMZ03. Does anyone know if that part # is a match for either of the OEM clutches from Mazda?

Ive got no plans to do a turbo or any power adders with this clutch. What do you think?

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad
I'm interested in checking out an '09 mx5. I like everything I've heard about the car, and I really like the fact that I can get a power hard top and paddle shiters on one. Anybody have a similar setup, and if so what are your thoughts on the car? To anybody else with an opinion, how do these new mx5s stack up against their competition?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don't get an automatic transmission, please.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

So I have a lead on an NB top and frame for my '99, which has the typical-for-the-year horrific wear holes in the corners. It's apparently in perfect shape, and I can drive to pick it up.

Thing is, the Miata isn't a pickup truck, so I don't know what I'm gonna do when I get there. I have a hard top, so my best idea was to remove the soft top, but leave it in closed position, put the hard top on, and when I get there, put the new soft top in the old one's place (just not bolted down until I get back).

I've never done the top before. Is removal relatively easy? From what I can tell, installation involves making sure the rain rail's dead-on, but removal wouldn't have such a requirement. What's the general consensus on how long removal should take?

(I can install at my leisure when I get home, I just don't want to inconvenience the guy selling the top or drive 2+ hours just to find I can't pick it up).

I'm in MA, so travelling sans top is not an option. There have been three days in the last thirty that haven't been rain, and the next ten look to be more of the same (except today, which is a "break" in the rain, but not in the clouds).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Borrow a friend's minivan or truck.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Phone posted:

Borrow a friend's minivan or truck.

That bad, eh? It's an option (or at least, a large car might be), but if I can just do it myself, that'd be preferable.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The problem is to get the softtop out, you have to do quite a bit of work. You might be able to just let it loosely sit on the parcel shelf, but I'm not sure how much luck you'd have with that.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Phone posted:

The problem is to get the softtop out, you have to do quite a bit of work. You might be able to just let it loosely sit on the parcel shelf, but I'm not sure how much luck you'd have with that.

Blech. Well, onto plan B: mooch off friends.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This is how you remove it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLkMVAE3ZaA&feature=PlayList&p=1F7D4222F3822DE2&index=1

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Funny thing is, I watched that episode within the last two months or so. For some reason, all I recall is when they removed the window, cut the rust from the pillar, welded in the patch, filled it, and painted. It all looked so easy, but I know it totally wasn't.

Oh, and I remember the silly chrome poo poo they threw in. Got a sale, so whatever.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it over when I get home.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Couldn't find a friend with a large car to go that far of a trip.

Top removal report: An hour and a half, give or take.

Only unexpected part was the additional zip ties used for the defroster cable; these showed up as I lifted the top/frame out of the car. Luckily, my girlfriend was coming down to help (just as I was finishing...hm), and she snipped the ties with scissors.

Out of 10 difficulty... Maybe a 2. It's just time consuming, but otherwise it's all pop rivets and "Can I just tear this upwards? Oh, I can."

Under the top is FILTHY. I'm gonna pick the new top up tomorrow, bolt it down just so it's not jostling, and when it's sunny again, clean the entire back before I think about sticking it in.

I can see the rain rail being a bit of a PITA to get back in; any tips?

Also, aside from checking wear points and the new rain rail, anything I should be aware of looking at the new top/frame tomorrow?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Well, my 6 month old Robbins cloth top was slashed open last night, even though there was nothing in the car to steal. Any suggestions for replacements? I really wasnt happy with the cloth as it required a lot more cleaning than I expected. Are the vinyl tops easier to maintain?

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Schwack posted:

Well, my 6 month old Robbins cloth top was slashed open last night, even though there was nothing in the car to steal. Any suggestions for replacements? I really wasnt happy with the cloth as it required a lot more cleaning than I expected. Are the vinyl tops easier to maintain?

I've got an OEM vinyl top and I'd go with a yes on the ease of maintenance. Rinse it off and put some Meguier's #40 (or whatever vinyl/plastic protectant you like) on every so often and it looks pretty much new, even after ten years.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

VPILF posted:

I've got an OEM vinyl top and I'd go with a yes on the ease of maintenance. Rinse it off and put some Meguier's #40 (or whatever vinyl/plastic protectant you like) on every so often and it looks pretty much new, even after ten years.

Tan tops can get get grimy looking before too long. The only thing I've found that has any effect on the grime is Simple Green, scrubbed in with a stiff nylon brush. You can get it spotless with this.

Also, yes the OEM vinyl top is an excellent piece of kit. If you're buying one, though, watch out for cracking along the top edge seams.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

FunkyJunk posted:

Tan tops can get get grimy looking before too long. The only thing I've found that has any effect on the grime is Simple Green, scrubbed in with a stiff nylon brush. You can get it spotless with this.

That's a good point, I can only speak about black (well, really dark blue) tops.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Schwack posted:

Well, my 6 month old Robbins cloth top was slashed open last night, even though there was nothing in the car to steal.

Was your car locked?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you need new headrest speakers, I recommend Blaupunkt PCx352s. Cheap and do the job.

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002

Schwack posted:

My Vinyl top is horrible to maintain... but im the dumbass that wanted a white top. I think it looks good (mariner blue '90) but it's soooo hard to keep clean.

If I had it to do over I'd probably go tan cloth with a glass window.

Ins covering the new top & install?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

puttz posted:

My Vinyl top is horrible to maintain... but im the dumbass that wanted a white top. I think it looks good (mariner blue '90) but it's soooo hard to keep clean.

If I had it to do over I'd probably go tan cloth with a glass window.

Ins covering the new top & install?

They are, but right now I have the tan cloth top and its a complete hassle to keep clean. It tends to get black marks all over from where the frame presses on it a bit so I was hoping a vinyl top would be a bit easier to clean.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
It's time to put new rear pads and rotors on my 94. I have the service manual, and brakes just aren't that hard, so I'm doing it myself. What's the cheapest place to buy these parts?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Are you going for cheap performance or just cheap?

Try Mazdaspeed for performance, Autozone for cheap.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
You can also try Rosenthal Mazda if you're looking for OEM: http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/home.php

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

mobn posted:

It's time to put new rear pads and rotors on my 94. I have the service manual, and brakes just aren't that hard, so I'm doing it myself. What's the cheapest place to buy these parts?

I went to NAPA for the rotors and got some Hawk HPS(?) pads from Goodwin Racing. All in all, cost was about 150 bucks (for all 4) including brake fluid. Unfortunately, it took me for loving ever to get the rotors off the hubs because they were rusted on.

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
Protip for the rotors rusted to hub: There's a threaded screw hole on the rotor. Find the appropriate bolt, insert, torque down, and they'll pop right off.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

iscariot posted:

Protip for the rotors rusted to hub: There's a threaded screw hole on the rotor. Find the appropriate bolt, insert, torque down, and they'll pop right off.

A lot of cars do this. My old Sentra had the same feature, which I learned of after bashing both front rotors off with a rubber mallet. My wrists rang for weeks.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Shlomo Palestein posted:

A lot of cars do this. My old Sentra had the same feature, which I learned of after bashing both front rotors off with a rubber mallet. My wrists rang for weeks.

If you get the cheapest Autozone specials, they often lack these holes. Of course, I see no reason that you couldn't just drill and tap them yourself since rotors are just cast iron. Just make sure that the holes exist in new rotors or you will hate yourself next time you have to take them off.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Phone posted:

Are you going for cheap performance or just cheap?

Try Mazdaspeed for performance, Autozone for cheap.

Yeah, it's not getting tracked or anything (too poor right now). Also, it looks like I just need the pads, so what's the cheapest pad that won't eat my rotor alive?

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
Assless chaps :giggity:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What the hell is going on with the front of your hardtop?

How does no rear window affect aero?

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Ziploc posted:

What the hell is going on with the front of your hardtop?

How does no rear window affect aero?

Duct tape. That's an 11 pound carbon shell hardtop, and the mountings I did weren't quite enough to keep it fully in place. Had to do a few more when I got home from that event.

No rear window helps aero, since you don't get the flow curling. The air from the side windows goes out the back, cleans up the airflow, reduces drag, and makes the wing more effective.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
My braking woes continue. 1991 NA, stock.

I replaced the rear caliper and a few weeks later a repeating "clunking" noise started appearing in (what I think) sounds like the front drivers side. It only appears when I am braking slightly harder than lightly, essentially parking lot speed. It goes away when pressed harder. It appears to get worse while turning, but it can be hard to duplicate.

Its almost like a CV, but in the front.

I pulled the wheel off and everything seems okay from a visual standpoint.

I checked miata net and "noises faq" suggested it was the brake splash shield, which seemed fine, or the sway bar had come loose. I am not sure how to test the sway bar, other than yanking on it, and it seemed okay too.

What else should I check?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Tai-Pan posted:

I checked miata net and "noises faq" suggested it was the brake splash shield, which seemed fine, or the sway bar had come loose. I am not sure how to test the sway bar, other than yanking on it, and it seemed okay too.

The 'proper' way to check the swaybar is to put the front end of the car on jackstands, then put your jack under the wheel on one side and raise it, and watch if the other side goes up with it or if it stays down. Do this on both sides.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Tai-Pan posted:

What else should I check?

Inspect your brake slider pins?

DrSilverworm
Jul 15, 2006

Im Dr. Worm. Im interested in things. Im not a real doctor, but I am a real worm; I am an actual worm. I live like a worm...

Gumball Dad posted:

I'm interested in checking out an '09 mx5. I like everything I've heard about the car, and I really like the fact that I can get a power hard top and paddle shiters on one. Anybody have a similar setup, and if so what are your thoughts on the car? To anybody else with an opinion, how do these new mx5s stack up against their competition?

This is my setup. I have a copper red mica '09 PRHT GT AT. I get some poo poo for the automatic, but honestly I could care less. It's my dream car, and my only car - I drive this every day, everywhere, not just for pleasure. There isn't a single thing I'd change about it, and no car I'd rather have under the $50k range.

The automatic is nice when you're severely multitasking, and is adaptive and smart - when you start driving aggressively it'll automatically start revving higher - like "sport" mode in other cars. It's also nice that the paddle shifters still function while in automatic. I have it in the "manumatic" mode 98 percent of the time, though, and paddles are fun and the cpu only interferes when it has to. There are two pairs of paddles, one on each side of the wheel so you can shift with either hand - a down shift button on top for the thumb, and an upshift paddle on bottom for the fingers.

The hard top is awesome - 77 pounds, goes down in 12 seconds, no trunk space - and and awesome cabin with the top up. Very high-quality - interestingly, it's actually made in Germany, then sent to Japan to be assembled with the rest of the car. To lock and unlock there's only one latch to pull. The trim and finish of the car is amazing. 5k miles on it so far, and not a single problem. If you have any questions or want to know anything specific, PM me. As for competitors, I hope you don't mean the Skye and the Solstice...

DrSilverworm fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 3, 2009

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Ziploc posted:

Inspect your brake slider pins?

What am I looking for? I jiggled them and did not notice anything and I pulled out the pads not long ago and nothing seem out of whack.

fatman1683 posted:

The 'proper' way to check the swaybar is to put the front end of the car on jackstands, then put your jack under the wheel on one side and raise it, and watch if the other side goes up with it or if it stays down. Do this on both sides.

I will give this a shot. Anything else I should check when its on stands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tai-Pan posted:

What am I looking for? I jiggled them and did not notice anything and I pulled out the pads not long ago and nothing seem out of whack.

Crack the sliders loose and check to make sure they're well greased. It was one of the first things I did with mine. There was almost no grease showing at all. I still need to check the rears, but the TOB may be more pressing...I still need to check it out more and see if AI agrees with the symptoms I'm seeing pointing toward the TOB.