Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

People who buy motorcycles because they're practical end up with a lifetime of riding SVs and BMWs.

A motorcycle will never be practical, and as a logical extension, should always be completely insane. The Brutale's not a nice price point of performance and cost..it's a loving Italian motorcycle. It looks like it's going a thousand miles an hour sitting in your garage. At any moment, a swarm of confused models could drop from the sky to rub themselves on it.

A motorcycle should always have at least one additional insane thing about it...the Brutale's got like 9. Buy it. Ride it year round. Take it off road. Give the finger to all the MV owners who carefully rub their wheels down with shammie clothes and lovingly drizzle wax over their bikes in a regimented ritual, before turning on the bike, letting it warm up, reving it to 4 grand once and then turning it off and cleaning it again. "Was it good for you too?"

gently caress those guys. Buy it. Abuse it. Give it redline, power wheelies, stoppies, lurid slides and stupid overtakes. Wheelie for children, disgust parents. Power corrupts, italian power corrupts absolutely.

This advice shouldn't be taken by anyone. Last time I took it I almost ended up in jail.

Just when I thought I was going to dip into the mv savings to grab a poo poo r6 to cruise on I read this, and disregard the bottom. Who wants to start a get Trintintin his MV agusta f4 quicker paypal account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Been browsing CL since I've had the idle thought of picking up a 2nd bike at the end of the season when everyone gets rid of their bikes. I don't really know much about Aprilias. I wonder what's wrong with it? Scam is my first thought but it's been reposted a bunch of times with that same phone # but the price slowly dropping.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/1247835087.html

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Oakey posted:

Been browsing CL since I've had the idle thought of picking up a 2nd bike at the end of the season when everyone gets rid of their bikes. I don't really know much about Aprilias. I wonder what's wrong with it? Scam is my first thought but it's been reposted a bunch of times with that same phone # but the price slowly dropping.

If you could email him and get him to take some legit pictures I'd say its not a scam. The fact that it's posted in all caps makes me think its just someone who has no idea how the internet works, especially craigslist, I'd check to see it was properly broken in and all that jazz if you were interested in it. It's very possible he bought it thinking 'oh sexy bike' and then realized the maintenance cost a lot more then a normal bike/is a lot harder to get done.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Oakey posted:

15k new, but Ape dealers have been dropping prices like mad. I've seen them for 10.5k new, so 9k used isn't absurd.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Z3n posted:

15k new, but Ape dealers have been dropping prices like mad. I've seen them for 10.5k new, so 9k used isn't absurd.

So what's the common consensus on them? Nice bikes? Too much maintenance? There has to be a reason for the prices drops I would think.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Oakey posted:

So what's the common consensus on them? Nice bikes? Too much maintenance? There has to be a reason for the prices drops I would think.

Aprilia has never really ignited in the US, so they are nor common and largely an unknown quantity. That is a shame as they are tremendous bikes. Think European/Italian passion and styling with Japanese build quality and a ripping Rotax engine. If I found an affordable CapoNord I'd swap my BMW GS out in a hot second.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I test rode as shiver a few months ago, compared to the Ninja250 it was huge and stupid fast. I loved it and you should too.

edit: I got an Aprilia keychain from the dealer. Anyone want it?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Oakey posted:

Maintaining a RSV Mille isn't very different from any other sport bike built near the same year.

I have a friend who owned a 2002 RSV Mille with 60k miles. It had the valve clearances checked 4 times, changed the oil every 5k miles with Motul 300v, and was on his third set of chain and sprockets. The entire bike was original.

Finding parts for an Italian bike would likely be more difficult than the bikes manufactured by the Japanese big 4, though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Oakey posted:

Very nice bikes. I've ridden a Falco and that pretty much sold me on the engine. I will own an RSV one day, it's up there on the list with the 999 and Streetfighter.

I'd imagine that they never got huge recognition out here because they just never really had any brand awareness. Gnomad's really got it...they're fantastic bikes. Especially given all the toys you get with them (The R model comes with Ohlins, lightweight rims, etc) they're fantastic bikes at a great price point. If you're looking for a big twin that's somewhat more comfortable than a 999 but is still a true supersport, RSV would be the first one up in my book.

Pictures do not do this bike justice in the slightest.

http://www.gulum.net/motor/resimler/Aprilia_RSV_Mille_1000_R_Nera_2004_01_1024x768.jpg

AP1 is the place to go for parts, advice, service. Great group of guys there, when my friend had some problems with his RSV they went out of their way to help him and save him money despite losing out on what could have been a very nice sale for them as a result.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

drat you guys, now I'm going to have to keep my eye on it and see if the price gets stupid low. I still like the Katana but after a few years on it I'm up for something more exciting and better looking, so either that bike or maybe another used Aprilia at the end of the season.

How would you rate that bike for a long trip? That was the only reason I was thinking about keeping the current bike, if I sell it it might actually be doable.

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/mcy/1246758846.html

$2900 for a 2008 Ninja 250 with a broken front left turn signal and 4000 miles. Seems like a good deal since most 08's seem to be listed at $3500+ around here. Should I jump on this?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

BlueBayou posted:

I really like the look of my bike:
https://wi.somethingawful.com/30/3024b648b2a713fedfc181b4e3a57a8f022d0128.jpg

Namely that is it naked and has an old fashioned look to it.

Anybody got any ideas?

Have you checked out the Honda 599? It's not "old fashioned", but it is pretty good looking for a standard.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

ooooooooooooooooh if I had a real job...
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/1243751191.html

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Oakey posted:

drat you guys, now I'm going to have to keep my eye on it and see if the price gets stupid low. I still like the Katana but after a few years on it I'm up for something more exciting and better looking, so either that bike or maybe another used Aprilia at the end of the season.

How would you rate that bike for a long trip? That was the only reason I was thinking about keeping the current bike, if I sell it it might actually be doable.

Long trip would be better served by a Futura or a CapoNord. The Futura is the sport touring side and the capo is a dualsport. The Capo is one of the most comfortable bikes out there, and honestly I may sell my GS and seek one out, especially given the trouble I just had with the GS.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

MrKatharsis posted:

Have you checked out the Honda 599? It's not "old fashioned", but it is pretty good looking for a standard.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

I wish I could search CL by looks

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

I'm considering picking up my second bike at in a couple months, and I am strongly leading towards a dual sport. If I had to pick one direction or the other, I would like something that at least has pretty good road characteristics, as I would only be offroad rarely. But my family some nice farmland to play around in, and I am near some nice trails/logging roads.

I've been looking at BMW g 650 GS and the KLR 650. Can anyone tell me much about these bikes?

If I could find a used one for about 4K that would awesome. Other bikes I should look at?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BlueBayou posted:

So I read the Sportster thread that just got bumped... and I think I will go ahead and pass.

That W650 is amazing though

One just popped up on ebay in MN, $4900

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170350742170

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

JebattoRocket posted:

I'm considering picking up my second bike at in a couple months, and I am strongly leading towards a dual sport. If I had to pick one direction or the other, I would like something that at least has pretty good road characteristics, as I would only be offroad rarely. But my family some nice farmland to play around in, and I am near some nice trails/logging roads.

I've been looking at BMW g 650 GS and the KLR 650. Can anyone tell me much about these bikes?

If I could find a used one for about 4K that would awesome. Other bikes I should look at?

For the needs you described I'd say get the BMW F650, however for 4K I'd lean much more toward the KLR, you can get one much more nicely appointed than the BMW for the same money. The KLR will get worse millage and be more buzzy than the F650 but it's cheaper/easier to do maintenance on them and you feel much less guilty each time they take a dirt nap.

DR650 is also a good bike to check out and well within your price range. The DR is great on the street as well they're typically smoother than a KLR but the stock seat was designed by a sadist.

If you've got some experience riding in the dirt a 650 will likely be just fine for you, however, if you haven't you might want to consider a DRZ 400 or an XT225. Both are lighter than the 650s and much easier to push around in technical dirt. The 225 can be had really cheap and it's a fantastic starter dual sport, it'll do 65 in 6th but not much more than that, but it's fantastic for getting around town, and up to nearby trails. 80 mpg too.

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

http://ninja250.kingston.net/ninja-value.html

I saw this posted on a ninja 250 forum and it puts a 2008 Ninja 250 with 4k miles at $2262.05. That seems pretty low to me, but then again I know nothing about motorcycle values being a newbie. Should I try and talk this guy down from $2900? If so, what reasoning should I use?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Entreri posted:

I saw this posted on a ninja 250 forum and it puts a 2008 Ninja 250 with 4k miles at $2262.05. That seems pretty low to me, but then again I know nothing about motorcycle values being a newbie. Should I try and talk this guy down from $2900? If so, what reasoning should I use?

I've been seeing a lot of people around here selling 2008 250's for well over 3k, the ads don't last long so I assume they are going for that much still.

Talking Head
May 9, 2009
Suzuki GZ250 vs. the Suzuki TU250.

I can't test drive either. Which one is better?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
the TU is. IIRC, it's got EFI, and it's got a sane seating position. "standard" seating is much, much better than cruiser.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

OK so I actually DID buy a bike this time.

A Harley XL1200S orrr, as the department of redundancy department calls it,

The Sportster Sport heh.

Before I get bashed too hard this is actually a relatively rare model with modern cartridge forks and gas shocks as well as a couple other modern things like dual plug heads n poo poo.

I'd have a pic for you but the PO took the stock flat bars off and put giant bullhorns on it and the internet must not see before I replace them

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Are you loving kidding me? HORNS?! Like how those texans would plaster them on the front of their buicks or something far gayer? Personally I'd like to see moose horns.

greginno
Jan 7, 2004
What's the general consensus on the Daytona 675? I sat on that blue and white 2010 SE model yesterday and, aside from being an rear end-killer, it was glorious.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Friend of mine used to have one and said it was the best bike he'd ever ridden. Won all the 600 level races and contests and what not.

If I ever get into sport bikes, I'll probably get one. mmmmm such a sexy bike.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Hirayama posted:

What's the general consensus on the Daytona 675? I sat on that blue and white 2010 SE model yesterday and, aside from being an rear end-killer, it was glorious.

I rode a friend's Daytona 675 and it convinced me to switch from cruiser to sportbike. Little did I know that not all 600-class sportbikes have the awesome low-midrange power of the 675.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Hirayama posted:

They're gorgeous and (a plus for me) is not many people have them. I enjoy not owning the same bike everyone else is riding, and good lood that triple sounds amazing. I've never been able to ride one, but having sat on them many a time and talking to the people who ride them, they're incredibly light. They're also amazingly balanced which makes it feel like it literally weighs nothing. Supposedly they corner like champs as well.

But seriously, triples sound amazing and that new paint scheme looks awesome, I've always liked them in blue.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
I love my 08 Daytona 675, it's definitely the best sports bike I've ever ridden and if you don't mind the harsh riding position then I would definitely recommend it.

The only thing I dislike about my bike is how high it sits but that's just because I'm really short. Still, it's manageable for me and the parking lot embarrassment is worth it for the amazing ride.

That 2010 SE is also sexy as hell.

IntrepidInventive
Nov 28, 2008

Ah shouldn't give advahce in E\N, Jennay
Anyone have any experience with these?

http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/1224965185.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I know I've seen tons of those on the back bumpers of RVs for people to cruise around town/campgrounds that they're visiting.

I actually think they're somewhat collectible, if not super valuable.

IntrepidInventive
Nov 28, 2008

I'm mostly looking for something that's a good middleground between an actual motorcycle and glorified dirtbike. I'm not really into the whole sportbike thing, but I'd like to get into riding, and that seems like a good training wheels sort of thing. I don't know if it'd be worth buying to ride if it's collectible considering how good of condition it's in, but then again he rebuilt the motor so it's not all original which may limit the value. Any further thoughts with this in mind?

Gremlin
Aug 9, 2002
I'm looking for a reliable/versatile/fun used motorcycle in the $1,000-$3,000 range and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. My first bike was an SV650 and I absolutely loved it so I'm looking at some used 00'-04's that are within that price range. I was also checking out some 70's-80's UJM model bikes but the reliability thing makes me a bit nervous. I'm pretty broke right now but I would love to have a bike to save some money on gas/insurance. Anyone have any ideas/advice?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Entreri posted:

It puts a 2008 with 50k miles at $0, so I wouldn't necessarily trust the math as gospel. I think 2900 is a pretty reasonable asking price, maybe try for like 2600-2700 just to see if he'll take it.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Gremlin posted:

I'm looking for a reliable/versatile/fun used motorcycle in the $1,000-$3,000 range and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. My first bike was an SV650 and I absolutely loved it so I'm looking at some used 00'-04's that are within that price range. I was also checking out some 70's-80's UJM model bikes but the reliability thing makes me a bit nervous. I'm pretty broke right now but I would love to have a bike to save some money on gas/insurance. Anyone have any ideas/advice?

With a price range like that, hell the sky's the limit almost. Hows your mechanical ability? General maintenance isn't that hard to do really, and as has been said before, 80's UJM bikes are pretty reliable. But to be honest I think you should ponder exactly what you want. Do you want an upgrade from your SV? Do you want something that you can crash into a wall, duct tape the wheel back on and drive home?

And; Old Suzukis are sexy bikes.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

IntrepidInventive posted:

Anyone have any experience with these?

http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/1224965185.html

That was my first bike, so I have years of experience with them.

They aren't too fast, top speed on level ground is about 50. They will go almost anywhere you can walk, and if it gets to a bad spot, in low range first gear you can walk beside it and push. Handling is wretched, but they crash easy...they will lowside at the slightest provocation. The ride is harsh, what with about an inch of travel and all. They get about 75 mpg, repair and maintenence is stupid simple. If I find another one at a decent price, I'm buying one.

Brand new, they were $375.

Gremlin
Aug 9, 2002

Chairon posted:

With a price range like that, hell the sky's the limit almost. Hows your mechanical ability? General maintenance isn't that hard to do really, and as has been said before, 80's UJM bikes are pretty reliable. But to be honest I think you should ponder exactly what you want. Do you want an upgrade from your SV? Do you want something that you can crash into a wall, duct tape the wheel back on and drive home?

And; Old Suzukis are sexy bikes.

My mechanical ability is pretty average but I am severely lacking in tools. I really would prefer a bike that won't require much in the way of maintenance or repairs. I was quite content with my SV so I definitely don't need an upgrade. An 80's UJM would be a downgrade I could handle.

Basically I'm at a point now where I can't afford any of the bikes that I really want so I'm looking for a "placeholder" so to speak that will serve me for the next few years and won't require too big of an investment. A low price point is pretty high on my priorities.

This one looks pretty awesome but is more than I am trying to spend: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1255101834.html

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Gremlin posted:

My mechanical ability is pretty average but I am severely lacking in tools. I really would prefer a bike that won't require much in the way of maintenance or repairs. I was quite content with my SV so I definitely don't need an upgrade. An 80's UJM would be a downgrade I could handle.

My 82 Suzuki GS has only required 2-3 metric socket/wrench sizes (not including oil plug or spark plug sizes), and regular old screw drivers so far...and if you know someone with a torque wrench you could borrow, you'd have everything.

You could almost just go spend $50 for everything individually you need, minus the torque wrench that you may or may not need depending on what you're willing to do yourself.

Gremlin
Aug 9, 2002

UserNotFound posted:

My 82 Suzuki GS has only required 2-3 metric socket/wrench sizes (not including oil plug or spark plug sizes), and regular old screw drivers so far...and if you know someone with a torque wrench you could borrow, you'd have everything.

You could almost just go spend $50 for everything individually you need, minus the torque wrench that you may or may not need depending on what you're willing to do yourself.

Good to know. It sounds like I'll be able to handle maintenance myself. What I'm more concerned about is the big things that could end up costing a lot of money to repair/replace. For that reason, I'm looking to get a bike that will be reliable and won't need any major work done for at least the next few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IntrepidInventive
Nov 28, 2008

Gnomad posted:

That was my first bike, so I have years of experience with them.

They aren't too fast, top speed on level ground is about 50. They will go almost anywhere you can walk, and if it gets to a bad spot, in low range first gear you can walk beside it and push. Handling is wretched, but they crash easy...they will lowside at the slightest provocation. The ride is harsh, what with about an inch of travel and all. They get about 75 mpg, repair and maintenence is stupid simple. If I find another one at a decent price, I'm buying one.

Brand new, they were $375.

I'm not sure whether this is an endorsement or not

"They're awful, but if I find another one at a good price I'll buy it!"

Would you say it's good preparation at all for a "real" bike?