Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Logue posted:

About to buy a used bike, but its not close to me (70 miles) and i'm a new rider. Do you guys know an appropriate amount to pay the seller for riding it to my place after I purchase it?

Who is insuring it if the guy crashes it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I've run into a snag with my rear sprocket. I was reassembling everything after I got my tires mounted, and as I was torquing the last nut, the bolt that's attached to the rear wheel sheared off. Does the sprocket need every attached nut for safe operation, or will I be fine with the remaining five?

If it needs that sixth bolt, how would I repair the drat thing?

Sorry for the lovely cell phone picture:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
So air filters for my bike are hard to find and cost 60 dollars if I can actually find them. It's a vtwin and the carbs have these two rubber cylinders that go into the airbox, I was thinking about connecting them with a y-adapter, running some piping to near the left side of the tank, and putting a generic K&N conical filter on. Is this a stupid idea?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

AncientTV posted:

I've run into a snag with my rear sprocket. I was reassembling everything after I got my tires mounted, and as I was torquing the last nut, the bolt that's attached to the rear wheel sheared off. Does the sprocket need every attached nut for safe operation, or will I be fine with the remaining five?

If it needs that sixth bolt, how would I repair the drat thing?

Sorry for the lovely cell phone picture:

Take a shot of the back of the sprocket. If it is setup like most other studs, you get a c-clamp and a socket of the right size, and press the old thing out, then press a new one in.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

IAMKOREA posted:

So air filters for my bike are hard to find and cost 60 dollars if I can actually find them. It's a vtwin and the carbs have these two rubber cylinders that go into the airbox, I was thinking about connecting them with a y-adapter, running some piping to near the left side of the tank, and putting a generic K&N conical filter on. Is this a stupid idea?

It'll change how much air is getting into the engine, throwing your air/fuel mixture all to hell. You could certainly do it, but you'll need to readjust your carbs and probably rejet them as well.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

dietcokefiend posted:

Take a shot of the back of the sprocket. If it is setup like most other studs, you get a c-clamp and a socket of the right size, and press the old thing out, then press a new one in.

When the sprocket was off the wheel, the black section that the bolts are anchored to seemed pretty well sealed on there.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

It'll change how much air is getting into the engine, throwing your air/fuel mixture all to hell. You could certainly do it, but you'll need to readjust your carbs and probably rejet them as well.

Well right now there's no filter at all because the previous owner just didn't think it was important, apparently. I only found this out last week so now I'm looking for a cheaper solution than ordering filters from Honda for 60 bucks each. Anyway it's already all thrown off and needs a lot of tuning so that's no big deal.

IAMKOREA fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 3, 2009

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

AncientTV posted:

When the sprocket was off the wheel, the black section that the bolts are anchored to seemed pretty well sealed on there.

hit it with a rubber mallet and it'll come off

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

echomadman posted:

hit it with a rubber mallet and it'll come off

presto-chango, that did the trick

Thanks guys.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Greetings goon biker gang! I have a quick question. I bought an 06 Honda Shadow VT750 a while back and I've found my range to be somewhat short for cruising across Canada in the prairie area where the gas stations are fairly far apart and tend to close around 8-10pm. Right now I hit about a max of 270kms including reserve. I'd like to push that up to 350 at least. I was wondering if getting a tank upgrade that was something that anyone ever did, if I'd need something custom made, and how I'd go about it. I believe the stock tank is roughly 14L.

I'm confident that I could install a tank myself if I bought one that would fit, but I don't know the first thing about where to look.

I dropped the bike at one point in my travels and replacing the tank is on my list anyways what with a massive dent being in it right now.

Thoughts?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm completely drawing a blank right now but someone here had a sweet custom tank made for his Triumph to increase fuel capacity. Its polished steel and its the prettiest thing ever.

Another option would be to get a rack or tail bag and some extra jerry cans.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

8ender posted:

I'm completely drawing a blank right now but someone here had a sweet custom tank made for his Triumph to increase fuel capacity. Its polished steel and its the prettiest thing ever.

That was Rope Kid, and as I recall it cost about a million bazillion dollars.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

whodunit posted:

I need help getting a stuck valve cover off. My bike is an 87' Gpz305, and this thing is stuck on tight. I've tried smacking with a rubber mallet, prying, everything and it just wont budge.

If it helps, over top the dead cylinder there is a crack in the case, and the rocker arms are loose. The rockers are simply not touching the camshaft and I can move them up untill they are touching the top of the cover.

I'd triple check that it doesn't have some more bolts covered with dirt or something that you missed. It's easy to do.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

whodunit posted:

I need help getting a stuck valve cover off. My bike is an 87' Gpz305, and this thing is stuck on tight. I've tried smacking with a rubber mallet, prying, everything and it just wont budge.

If it helps, over top the dead cylinder there is a crack in the case, and the rocker arms are loose. The rockers are simply not touching the camshaft and I can move them up untill they are touching the top of the cover.

I've had this problem before. the solution was finding the bolt I managed to not remove. There's five on a 4 valve GS valvecover... Though I think I need pictures of your particualr mess.

IAMKOREA posted:

Buy the correct filter. It's not an easy task to make a bike run quite as sweet as the stock setup. You ALWAYS lose some part of the torque curve. Alternatively, you can find the K&N replacement filter for your bike. You didn't mention what sort of bike it was... However, without fail, I've always been able to find a UNI or K&N for whatever bike I have.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

8ender posted:

Yeah that's what I've been doing. Just throwing a 10L jerry in my rucksack when travelling, but I'm lazy and don't want to fuel on the side of the highway. How much is a million bazillion dollars in say US or Canadian dollars??

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

CADPAT posted:

Yeah that's what I've been doing. Just throwing a 10L jerry in my rucksack when travelling, but I'm lazy and don't want to fuel on the side of the highway. How much is a million bazillion dollars in say US or Canadian dollars??

You'd have to ask Rope for the details, but from what I've seen custom built tanks can cost as much as, if not more, than a good used bike.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Nerobro posted:

Buy the correct filter. It's not an easy task to make a bike run quite as sweet as the stock setup. You ALWAYS lose some part of the torque curve. Alternatively, you can find the K&N replacement filter for your bike. You didn't mention what sort of bike it was... However, without fail, I've always been able to find a UNI or K&N for whatever bike I have.

It's an 89 Honda VTR 250, there's no K&N so a lot of owners cut the original out of the plastic thing it's held by and put a K&N from a Civic in and seal it up with silicone. I don't have that plastic thing though so it's 60 bucks for me, if you really think it's that important I'll just drop the extra cash though.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

CADPAT posted:

I remember that post, I think it cost him...$2,200 is what I want to say. But it was a completely custom tank, designed by him and the guy who built it. If I had to venture a guess, I don't think theres another tank like it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

CADPAT posted:

You might be better off finding a larger tank that will sort of fit on your bike and modifying the mounts. Japanese bikes are great for this depending on the model. Check around and see if anyone else has fitted a tank from a different model on your bike.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Turns out that hard luggage (well any luggage for that matter) is expensive as poo poo. 200-250 for the rack, 200 for the top case, like 250 for each side case... adds up pretty loving high. Thankfully igloo offers another cheaper option. Enter the 38L wheeled cooler. 20 bucks on sale at Target, this cooler offers decent strength and rigidity, and a solid lid that just needs a clamp or two to lock.

Attached is what this hilarious thing looks like mock mounted to the bike while I am designing the wood plate for it. Anyone want to start bets on what 20lbs of junk in it will do at highway speeds :dance:

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Is that the new seat?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

jdonz posted:

Is that the new seat?

Heh, the Corbin comes Tuesday I hope. I bought a cheap used passenger seat off SVrider that I will be bolting the platform to. Secure lockable mount that is easily removed for normal riding.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

1974 Honda Scrambler.

Adjusted the valves, cleaned up some of the accessory wiring (turn signals and tail light grounds were just stripped wire wrapped around a tightened bolt. I crimped on eye hooks.)

Ran before, now there is no spark and the coil grounds are getting a bit warm. I timed the bike as per the manual. I cleaned the coil grounds good and well.

Any ideas as to where my spark went?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

dietcokefiend posted:

Anyone want to start bets on what 20lbs of junk in it will do at highway speeds :dance:

Nothing :colbert: I've taken my 24gallon action packer on my ninja from Dallas to San Antonio filled with Christmas presents for all the good little girls and boys.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
One thing I've been contemplating about switching to a biek for DD'ing is storing things. If I got something like dietcokefiend, but just want to get, say, a cube of mt. down on sale at county market for 4.99 (!!!!) will the cube sliding around in turns knock me over and make me hate my life? It doesn't really have to be sodey, just anything that doesn't fill the whole container side to side.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I've never ridden a motorcycle before and am interested in learning. I'm not looking for interstate riding or really ever going above about 40mph; I just want to commute around town on a lightweight motorized thing. The reason I'm not considering a scooter at this point is because I like the idea of a real clutch and 4-5 gears, and I like the looks of a motorcycle better.

I really like the style of a 1980-82 Yamaha SR250 (20hp single cylinder 4-stroke); seems like no more power than I'm looking for in a simple, attractive and lightweight package. Plus it apparently gets around 85mpg. Is this a decent bike for my purposes? FWIW I'm 5'10" and 140lbs and have a decent amount of experience wrenching on small engines.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Methusulah posted:

One thing I've been contemplating about switching to a biek for DD'ing is storing things. If I got something like dietcokefiend, but just want to get, say, a cube of mt. down on sale at county market for 4.99 (!!!!) will the cube sliding around in turns knock me over and make me hate my life? It doesn't really have to be sodey, just anything that doesn't fill the whole container side to side.

We are talking about something that is a fraction of the weight of a passenger, and doesnt move around as much. Unless the entire thing flipped to the side and rammed into your wheel I dont think you should have any problems.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

dietcokefiend posted:

We are talking about something that is a fraction of the weight of a passenger, and doesnt move around as much. Unless the entire thing flipped to the side and rammed into your wheel I dont think you should have any problems.

Alright then, worries assuaged, I can pretty much plan on being on a biek for basically all my driving the rest of my life. Until i get a wife and kids I suppose. But man, now I can't wait to get my biek and license. Dream's coming true itt. :)

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Methusulah posted:

Alright then, worries assuaged, I can pretty much plan on being on a biek for basically all my driving the rest of my life. Until i get a wife and kids I suppose. But man, now I can't wait to get my biek and license. Dream's coming true itt. :)

Also, keep in mind that there's not that much side-to-side force on your cargo when you're riding. When you're in a turn, centrifugal force pushes the cargo down onto the seat, not off to the side. You're fine except for sudden swerving manouvers.

I have an R1, and absolutely nobody makes a hardcase mount for it. There's only one company I know of that even makes a rack, and it's reputed to have very weak welds. I recently bought a damaged rear seat off eBay and took the seat cover and foam off. I bolted a Givi universal rack (E250) to the seatpan, and a V46 topcase to that. It's not as cheap a solution as dietcokefiend's, but the case locks to the base and the base locks to the bike.

I'm planning to do a full writeup of the mod for another forum, but I can post here if anybody expresses an interest in seeing it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whats a good way to make metal more resistant to bending?

The kickstarter on my RV90 is always slowly bending in towards the bike, because apparently I kickstart it like an ox. I've bent it back a few times, but I dont want to fatigue it.

I'm not up on my metallurgy, so if I bend it straight, then heat the hell out of it and let it cool normally, will that harden it up, or should I be heating it and quenching it?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Whats a good way to make metal more resistant to bending?

The kickstarter on my RV90 is always slowly bending in towards the bike, because apparently I kickstart it like an ox. I've bent it back a few times, but I dont want to fatigue it.

I'm not up on my metallurgy, so if I bend it straight, then heat the hell out of it and let it cool normally, will that harden it up, or should I be heating it and quenching it?

Only if it's steel. Need carbon to harden something.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

orange lime posted:

I've never ridden a motorcycle before and am interested in learning. I'm not looking for interstate riding or really ever going above about 40mph; I just want to commute around town on a lightweight motorized thing. The reason I'm not considering a scooter at this point is because I like the idea of a real clutch and 4-5 gears, and I like the looks of a motorcycle better.

I really like the style of a 1980-82 Yamaha SR250 (20hp single cylinder 4-stroke); seems like no more power than I'm looking for in a simple, attractive and lightweight package. Plus it apparently gets around 85mpg. Is this a decent bike for my purposes? FWIW I'm 5'10" and 140lbs and have a decent amount of experience wrenching on small engines.

I started out on an XS400 and it was a great little bike. I say go for it. Make sure you take the MSF before you buy anything though.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 24, 2020

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

MrZig posted:

What windshield is this?

http://classifieds.castanet.net/showproduct.php/product/445699/cat/152
(Linked because waffleimages is down)

It looks modern and very good, and really fits the old style bikes. Just what I was looking for. Any idea?

Possibly one off here:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/292/

(The A603 looks very similar...)

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Mechanism Eight posted:

I learned and commuted over 6,000 miles on a 2001 Yamaha SR125. Not the same bike but they're ergonomically very similar only the 250 is around 1/3rd heavier. It was an ideal bike for a learner about town: low seat and centre of gravity, armchair-like seating position and wide, high bars for easy steering. Even the little 12hp, 125cc engine was tolerable up to 40mph.

On the other hand the sr250 was only made for two years was it not? I'd be hesitant to buy anything that uncommon for lack of spare parts. Have you maybe considered something a little more mainstream and cruisery like a Virago 250?

Cool, thanks for all the info. I'm definitely going to wait until the fall (yay winters without snow) before I buy anything, and take the courses, but I figured I'd start gathering info early.

I've looked at things like the Virago but I'm not really a fan of the cruiser design, to be honest. I'm not sure what you call the design of the bikes I like; the late 1960s to early 1970s British parallel twins are pretty much perfect. I'd buy myself a Triumph TR6R or a Norton Commando (stock, no cafe racers please), except they're more powerful than I need and I'm not masochistic enough to try to keep a British bike running. Let alone as a daily commuter. Anyone know what this style is called?

TR6R -- D'awww, a baby Bonneville

Nice Commando, 850 is way big for me though

And an SR250 with a better-looking seat than the other pic.

I'm not sure about spare parts for the SR250. The SR400 is more common but I don't need or want that much engine. Basically the problem seems to be that you can't really get 4-stroke 250s in the style I like. Everything seems to be either 2-stroke (not really the quietest and friendliest commuter) or 500+cc. I do like the whapwhapwhap that the little single-cylinder 4-stroke makes. Any ideas on 1980s Yamaha reliability?

Does anyone have other recommendations for the above style of bike with a <25hp engine, preferably 4-stroke?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Here's a random question. Why is it that every single 80's bike in 'OK' condition has missing side covers? Where do they go?!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

MrZig posted:

Here's a random question. Why is it that every single 80's bike in 'OK' condition has missing side covers? Where do they go?!

The tabs break and people leave them off the bike. They get lost and / or buried in a box somewhere.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
I've run into a problem while trying to get a little 90cc running properly.

Right now, I can get it running but it has some serious problems at idle. First problem is that when it is at idle, the motor oscillates. It runs all the way to 5k rpm or so then drops down to almost nothing, then does it all over again endlessly.

Second problem is that if you try to give it gas, any throttle makes the engine die. If we take the choke off it just revs like crazy.

I have completely cleaned and reassembled the carb, cleaned out the petcock, , gas tank, fuel selector switch, and fuel lines, and have a pretty good hang of adjusting the idle and high speed jet, but nothing seems to be working.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Oh loving christ, ZX600 strikes again :argh:

It has been fine for like 1000 miles or so this spring, left it sit for a month while I have been riding the sv650, and now it starts acting up. Drove it for about 30 miles last night, filled it up with gas and parked it. Go out to drive it today and can barely hold and idle, stumbling and overall riding like poo poo. Ended up pouring gas into the #4 cylinder from a stuck float. Guessing that something got washed up and passed through the fuel system.

Who makes some decent fuel filters that wont adversely affect the flow of fuel by gravity? Tearing off 4 carbs AGAIN is one of the last things I wanted to do after cleaning the bastards this winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Logue posted:

About to buy a used bike, but its not close to me (70 miles) and i'm a new rider. Do you guys know an appropriate amount to pay the seller for riding it to my place after I purchase it?

If you're in SoCal, I'll do this for you for free.